The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Fishing skill line ideas

Asherons_Call
Asherons_Call
✭✭✭✭✭
Hello! I've been putting some thought into how to make fishing more rewarding and a game in itself. Please feel free to add ideas!

Fishing Skill line

XP in this skill line will be gained through fishing. The rarity of the fish determines the XP gained

EQUIPMENT:

Note: All crafted equipment is fully customizable with all racial styles.

– Craftable Fishing poles –Not enchantable – no need to introduce new runes but can be upgraded up to Legendary using the existing wood tempers. Each upgrade slightly improves chance of rare fish and fishing speed. (If you have no need to catch rare fish, stick with the basic white pole.) – Note – this would not go into your weapon slot. This item would go into a new inventory slot specifically for fishing poles and filet knives.
- Epic and Legendary poles required to catch Epic and Legendary fish

Craftable Filet knives – Increased chances of perfect roe or other unique ingredients (insert ideas for new ingredients!) – Note – this would not go into your weapon slot. This item would go into a new inventory slot specifically for fishing poles and Filet knives.
- Epic and Legendary filet knives required to filet Epic and Legendary fish

Craftable Fishermans gear (light armor 3 piece set) – Vest, Waders, and hat.
​2 pieces – Fishing speed increased
​3 pieces – Chance for 2 fish on one hook (also possible to nab 2 rares on one hook!)

SKILLS:

Note – all skills are “Passive skills” – no active skills (and no hotbar!) would be added

Skill line 1 – Gunny Master–
• Sack Frequency - Improves the drop rate for gunny sacks
• Valuable Sacks - Improves the loot table for gunny sacks (also adds a very small chance to get unique fishing gear that cannot be obtained from crafting – for increased chances read further)
- With this skill, Gunny Sacks now drop Skyshards! (this is in order to make extra room for all of these new skills). There will be a cap on the number of Skyshards you can obtain. The exact number would be somewhere around the number needed to get all skills in the fishing line.

Skill line 2 – Experienced fisherman
• Choosy Fisherman- Improves the catch rate for rare fish.
• Speed Caster- Increase the speed of fishing from the time of cast to hook
• Faultless– longer time given to “catch” the fish once it is hooked
• Fishing Hole Sense – Special fishing holes now appear. These are only visible to fisherman with this skill. These holes are required for a chance to catch the new Epic and Legendary fish

Skill line 3 – Filleting Expertise
• Roe Extraction- Improves chances for perfect roe
• Roe Connoisseur - Small chance for proc - double perfect roe!
• Master Filleter – Ability to filet Epic and Legendary fish

Skill Line 4 – Master Baiter
• Bait finder - Improves the drop rate of all forms of bait (through gathering and fishing)
• Premium Baiter - Using Special bait (chub, minnows, etc), the fisherman can now catch epic and legendary fish!
- Must be used in conjunction with the “Fishing hole sense” skill, as well as Epic/Legendary poles in order to catch Epic and Legendary fish.
- These new fish are NOT needed for master angler achievement

Epic (purple) fish – when fileted (must have “Master Fileter” skill line) - moderate chance for gunny sacks and rare fish (up to blue) inside of their bellies. (“Sack Frequency” and “Choosy fisherman” skill lines increase the chances for these drops)

Legendary (gold) fish – when caught do not automatically go in your inventory. You have to fight them first! These would be similar in strength to a world boss (not a wrothgar world boss!). When killed, These new Legendary fish bosses have a chance to drop unique non-craftable fishing gear (hats, vests, waders) – presumably from the last fisherman that attempted to catch this particular fish! Keep in mind that this fish is loot-able only to the fisherman, however others can help you take the fish down.

• When fileted (must have “Master Fileter” skill line) - good chance for perfect roe, gunny sacks and multiple rare fish (up to Epic) inside of their bellies. (“Sack Frequency” and “Choosy fisherman” skill lines increase the chances for these drops)

• There is also a possibility for exclusive combat gear to drop, as these formidable fish have no qualms about their meals. Warriors taste the same as fisherman. (adding this would be a major incentive to everyone to take up the fishing skill line)
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crafting fishing poles! Finally someone else wants this! Oh happy day! Add in a feature where we are able to fish anywhere in any water and I'm SOLD!

eh, I'm sold anyway +1 agree from me.
    Edited by Gidorick on December 16, 2015 3:59AM
    What ESO really needs is an Auction Horse.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Want more crazy ideas? Check out my Concept Repository!
  • Flynch
    Flynch
    ✭✭✭✭
    I can definitely get behind this. +1 from me too!
  • Spacemonkey
    Spacemonkey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Umm, i'd rather have fish more valuable - and fishing more fun - than a new thing to grind.

(maybe a khajiit passive that allows you to consume raw fishies without fileting, for short duration bonuses) :smile:

fish can be 'fileted' (harvested) for more than just food mats. (scales could be harvested for blacksmithing and clothing) -
    And figure out a short mini game for fishing that involves more than just finding a water hole and waiting for the bait to bob.
  • Asherons_Call
    Asherons_Call
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Umm, i'd rather have fish more valuable - and fishing more fun - than a new thing to grind.

(maybe a khajiit passive that allows you to consume raw fishies without fileting, for short duration bonuses) :smile:

fish can be 'fileted' (harvested) for more than just food mats. (scales could be harvested for blacksmithing and clothing) -
    And figure out a short mini game for fishing that involves more than just finding a water hole and waiting for the bait to bob.

It's not a grind if it's fun! Although everyone is different so I understand where you're coming from.

I love your idea for filleting! Possibly add a chance to get fish scales to craft special armor (similar to the malachite/glass mechanic)
  • ajwest927
    ajwest927
    ✭✭✭
    I like that idea
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love fishing. +1

I'm happy @Gidorick saw this. Had to double check the OP twice to make sure it wasn't gidorick lol
    Edited by MissBizz on December 16, 2015 1:51AM
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • MrDerrikk
    MrDerrikk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another reason to level my Woodworking; I like it!
    I have departed into the great unknown that is outside the game and the forums, and wish you well in your Tamriel adventures!

DC - PC - EU - Australian
    VR11 Mrderrikk: Breton Stam Sorc (Vamp) | VR16 Derrikkinblack: Dunmer Mage DK | VR3 Cuts-Until-It-Dies: Argonian Magicka NB

Oh look, Anook.
  • Asherons_Call
    Asherons_Call
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MissBizz wrote: »
    I love fishing. +1

I'm happy @Gidorick saw this. Had to double check the OP twice to make sure it wasn't gidorick lol

Is he an advocate of fishing? We need all we can get! I'll have to check out some of his posts. I think what I am going to do is start consolidating ideas here. Hopefully someone with some pull will see it and say, wow those ideas might actually work!

If even a few of these ideas got serious ZOS consideration I would be overjoyed. If probably spend more time fishing than questing! Wait I think I already do that :)
  • Asherons_Call
    Asherons_Call
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MrDerrikk wrote: »

Exactly. Woodworking is a skill that barely gets used compared to cloth and smithing. We need to use all of this ruby ash that we're stockpiling :)
  • MrDerrikk
    MrDerrikk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MrDerrikk wrote: »

Exactly. Woodworking is a skill that barely gets used compared to cloth and smithing. We need to use all of this ruby ash that we're stockpiling :)

It has so much less traits as well, in that I've almost got 8 traits in everything, when I'm only halfway through the other two. Another reason for my skills to be sought after would be wonderful. :D
    I have departed into the great unknown that is outside the game and the forums, and wish you well in your Tamriel adventures!

DC - PC - EU - Australian
    VR11 Mrderrikk: Breton Stam Sorc (Vamp) | VR16 Derrikkinblack: Dunmer Mage DK | VR3 Cuts-Until-It-Dies: Argonian Magicka NB

Oh look, Anook.
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love fishing. +1

Is he an advocate of fishing? We need all we can get! I'll have to check out some of his posts. I think what I am going to do is start consolidating ideas here. Hopefully someone with some pull will see it and say, wow those ideas might actually work!

If even a few of these ideas got serious ZOS consideration I would be overjoyed. If probably spend more time fishing than questing! Wait I think I already do that :)

hehe... well... no. I'm not exactly an advocate for fishing. I'd say I'm an advocate for ZOS adding fun and functionality to ESO.

This MMO is so full of promise but at every corner things were done simply or shortcuts were taken. I understand about deadlines and work schedules but in an MMO there is always the future possibility of change! The game continues to grow and I would love to see it grow into a broad, encompassing experience where players are the masters of their own narrative and we can adventure in a living, breathing, vibrant Tamriel.

As such, I have suggested a right many things on this forum, which I have compiled in my Concept Repository. Link here: Gidorick's Concept Repository

and a copy of the current contents of the repository here:
    Gidorick wrote: »
    Below is a collection of some of the ideas I have posted on this forum. I’ve gathered them into categories for ease of discovery. Beyond that, the organization is haphazard and random. If I post any new ideas (lol, who am I kidding... IF. :lol: ) I will update this thread.

Environmental Concepts:
    UI Concepts:
    Game Systems:
    Player Options & Items and Systems:
    Crown Store/ ESO+ Centric Concepts:
    Silly odds and ends:

I hope your idea gets seen by ZOS too! It would really make a great addition to ESO. Please post any other ideas you have. I enjoyed your thoughts. Two other posters that have had some amazing ideas are @tinythinker & @TheShadowScout . Take a look at @tinythinker 's profile page to check out some of his ideas and just keep an eye out for @TheShadowScout as he prefers to post his ideas as comments in threads. I hope with reckless abandon that ZOS is listening to our ideas and they are looking to make ESO the penultimate MMO and TES title... but the realist in me knows better. :confused:

My honest advice for posting your thoughts and ideas: Do so because you want to share some cool "what-ifs" with those who will appreciate it and try not to let what isn't in ESO ruin what is. :wink:

Edited by Gidorick on December 16, 2015 8:00AM
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• damtotb16_ESO
    damtotb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I hate fishing but would like to love it!
    +1
  • PrinceBoru
    PrinceBoru
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah fishing needs some attention.
    It ain't easy being green.
  • MaKTaiL
    MaKTaiL
    ✭✭✭✭
    I made a post about this last week and people crushed my idea in two seconds. I guess the community here is bipolar.

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/234149/idea-fishing-skill-line#latest
  • ChuckyPayne
    ChuckyPayne
    ✭✭✭✭
    Very detailed idea. I like it. +1.
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MaKTaiL wrote: »
    I made a post about this last week and people crushed my idea in two seconds. I guess the community here is bipolar.

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/234149/idea-fishing-skill-line#latest

LOL @MaKTaiL ... it works that way sometimes.

Of course @Unsent.Soul and @Pchela didn't comment on this thread... and those were the only two people who commented on your thread. I hate to say it but visibility is key. That's why I hate the bumping rules on this forum. There are many of my concepts that get buried because people don't comment. If I was the last comment, I can't make another comment or else I'll get busted for bumping. So concepts get buried and people just don't see them.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Asherons_Call
    Asherons_Call
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MaKTaiL wrote: »

I'm sorry to hear that Mak. I didn't notice your post either or I would have made a positive comment. I've noticed that the timing of the post can have a huge impact on who sees it. It's very much a mini game in itself as you are playing with RNG :)

After reading it, it appears we are on the same wavelength on a couple of points, especially with the loot tables on gunny sacks. I also absolutely love your idea about fishing writs! This never crossed my mind but it could be implemented in the current system perfectly.

• Asherons_Call
    Asherons_Call
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love fishing. +1

hehe... well... no. I'm not exactly an advocate for fishing. I'd say I'm an advocate for ZOS adding fun and functionality to ESO.

This MMO is so full of promise but at every corner things were done simply or shortcuts were taken. I understand about deadlines and work schedules but in an MMO there is always the future possibility of change! The game continues to grow and I would love to see it grow into a broad, encompassing experience where players are the masters of their own narrative and we can adventure in a living, breathing, vibrant Tamriel.

As such, I have suggested a right many things on this forum, which I have compiled in my Concept Repository. Link here: Gidorick's Concept Repository

and a copy of the current contents of the repository here:
    Below is a collection of some of the ideas I have posted on this forum. I’ve gathered them into categories for ease of discovery. Beyond that, the organization is haphazard and random. If I post any new ideas (lol, who am I kidding... IF. :lol: ) I will update this thread.

Environmental Concepts:
    UI Concepts:
    Game Systems:
    Player Options & Items and Systems:
    Crown Store/ ESO+ Centric Concepts:
    Silly odds and ends:

I hope your idea gets seen by ZOS too! It would really make a great addition to ESO. Please post any other ideas you have. I enjoyed your thoughts. Two other posters that have had some amazing ideas are @tinythinker & @TheShadowScout . Take a look at @tinythinker 's profile page to check out some of his ideas and just keep an eye out for @TheShadowScout as he prefers to post his ideas as comments in threads. I hope with reckless abandon that ZOS is listening to our ideas and they are looking to make ESO the penultimate MMO and TES title... but the realist in me knows better. :confused:

My honest advice for posting your thoughts and ideas: Do so because you want to share some cool "what-ifs" with those who will appreciate it and try not to let what isn't in ESO ruin what is. :wink:

Wow thank you!! This gives me a lot of good material to read. (While at work) :)
  • Asherons_Call
    Asherons_Call
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok that's it. In the spirit of nerfember I withdraw all ideas on fishing skill line. Nerf fishing! Way overpowered
  • Artjuh90
    Artjuh90
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    stopped reading at dropping skyshards....
  • Asherons_Call
    Asherons_Call
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Artjuh90 wrote: »

So you would be ok with using your existing skill points to pay for these skills? Just trying to find a balance if they did indeed add several new skills
  • Artjuh90
    Artjuh90
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Artjuh90 wrote: »

So you would be ok with using your existing skill points to pay for these skills? Just trying to find a balance if they did indeed add several new skills

yes i would, it is not that skillpoints are hard to come by.
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think getting Skyhards in Gunny Sacks would be alright... but not so many that it'll completely fill up the Fishing Skill line. like... 4 max.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doing more with fishing is a nice thought. I've suggested, for example, that they let us fillet rare fish, with green having a 35% chance to drop perfect roe and blue a 75% chance. But there is also a danger in diminishing the appeal of fishing's ease, simplicity, and challenge. Two examples of this to consider:

- Crafting fishing poles sounds OK, but having to craft clothes and a knife too is a bit much. Part of the appeal of fishing is that it is simple. Bait is easy to come by, you find a fishing hole, and hit 'E'.

- Same for the bait skill line. Some of it sounds fine, but having to level it up to catch that special fish in Wrothgar? Might be a problem. Being able to use special bait or poles for a better chance to catch it? Maybe. But if it's too easy/quick to catch rares, who cares? Where is the fun?

Instead, maybe add new white-level fish/creatures, have them give unique items/mats that can be useful (like perfect roe but not all of it as rare), and integrate fishing more into the NPC-view/in-character/game world.

A more detailed review is available below in the spoiler tags.
    Fishing Skill line

XP in this skill line will be gained through fishing. The rarity of the fish determines the XP gained

EQUIPMENT:

– Craftable Fishing poles –Not enchantable – no need to introduce new runes but can be upgraded up to Legendary using the existing wood tempers. Each upgrade slightly improves chance of rare fish and fishing speed. (If you have no need to catch rare fish, stick with the basic white pole.) – Note – this would not go into your weapon slot. This item would go into a new inventory slot specifically for fishing poles and filet knives. (These would need to be small increases, even for high level poles, and the poles would need to be "used up" after so many catches. The faster the better. Keep in mind, fishing in a MMO is about relaxing, chatting or listening to music, enjoying the scenery, and the satisfaction of having your patience pay off. Anything that boosts how quickly you catch rare fish diminishes this, and should be costly and limited in effectiveness. So, the better the quality - from green to blue to purple - the harder to make and the more quickly it is used up. Catching white fish would burn up the uses at a high rate, a green rare fish would burn through them at an even higher and would likely nuke it, a blue or higher would 100% nuke it. Another option is to have the polls increase the odds of something else other than getting a rare, but with similar limitations. You could instead have to craft special lures - also with a burn rate - for rares)
    - Epic and Legendary poles required to catch Epic and Legendary fish (Nope, nope, nope. Everything is accessible to everyone even if they never craft a pole or level up any kind of fishing skill line. Focus needs to be taken off of rare fish. Any new "fishing system" that is built primarily around diminishing the challenge of catching rares diminishes the whole point and fun of fishing. Better to focus on what else can be caught and what can be done with what players catch, and mostly leave rare fish alone. That should more or less continue on as it is now.)

Craftable Filet knives – Increased chances of perfect roe or other unique ingredients (insert ideas for new ingredients!) – Note – this would not go into your weapon slot. This item would go into a new inventory slot specifically for fishing poles and Filet knives. (Not a huge fan of crafting fillet knives, but don't have any major objection to it. I prefer to have the odds of perfect roe modified by how rare a fish is. But for extra crafting, why not craft special lures? Crafted poles could slightly increase cast time, crafted lures could slightly increase the odds of particular types of fish. Both would be expensive and be used up quickly. A blue rod would be used up more quickly than a green one, and a blue fish would burn through rods and lures more quickly than a green one. Part of the issue though is getting away from focusing on catching rares, which is already a fun and enjoyable challenge. So, what would be good to look at is adding new types of white-level fish or water creatures and having them drop useful items and mats that cannot be obtained other than by fishing.)
    - Epic and Legendary filet knives required to filet Epic and Legendary fish (Naw, no limiting access to high ranking crafting. Anyone should have a chance to catch the coolest fish the first time they cast, even if it's a really tiny chance. I can see an exception to this for legendary fish, and cover that more below.)

Craftable Fishermans gear (light armor 3 piece set) – Vest, Waders, and hat. (Or just make this into part of a fun set of costume you can acquire for particular Angler achievements, such as Pact Angler, Covenant Angler, Dominion Angler, and/or Master Angler.)
    ​2 pieces – Fishing speed increased (Or have this be pole-based)
    ​3 pieces – Chance for 2 fish on one hook (also possible to nab 2 rares on one hook!) (Noooo... shift the focus from rares.)

SKILLS:

Note – all skills are “Passive skills” – no active skills (and no hotbar!) would be added

• Valuable Sacks - Improves the loot table for gunny sacks (also adds a very small chance to get unique fishing gear that cannot be obtained from crafting – for increased chances read further)
    - With this skill, Gunny Sacks now drop Skyshards! (this is in order to make extra room for all of these new skills). There will be a cap on the number of Skyshards you can obtain. The exact number would be somewhere around the number needed to get all skills in the fishing line. (There might be a few legendary (yellow/gold) fish that ate a skyshard, but this wouldn't work for gunny sacks.)

• Fishing Hole Sense – Special fishing holes now appear. These are only visible to fisherman with this skill. These holes are required for a chance to catch the new Epic and Legendary fish (Most of what is in this skill line can already be accomplished by adding new craftable items, and excluding people from catching fish is problematic. I can see it maybe for legendary (yellow/gold) fish, but not for epic (purple) fish, especially given that the only one added so far is for the Orsinium DLC. I don't see ZOS making people spend weeks leveling up fishing for that achievement. )

Roe Extraction- Improves chances for perfect roe (Replace with "Veteran Filleter - Ability to filet Fine and Superior fish". The fish themselves have the greater proc chance for perfect roe: green=35%, blue=75%, purple=90%, yellow/gold=100%)

• Bait finder - Improves the drop rate of all forms of bait (through gathering and fishing)
    • Premium Baiter - Using Special bait (chub, minnows, etc), the fisherman can now catch epic and legendary fish!
    - Must be used in conjunction with the “Fishing hole sense” skill, as well as Epic/Legendary poles in order to catch Epic and Legendary fish.

Epic (purple) fish – when fileted (must have “Master Fileter” skill line) - moderate chance for gunny sacks and (a) rare (green) fish (up to blue) inside of their bellies. (“Sack Frequency” and “Choosy fisherman” skill lines increase the chances for these drops)

Legendary (gold) fish – when caught (you activate the "reel in" button they) do not automatically go in your inventory. You have to fight them first! These would be similar in strength to a world boss (not a wrothgar world boss!). When killed, (A mini-game with a fatigue bar for the fish appears and you must press buttons at the right time to wear such fish down.) These new Legendary fish bosses have a chance to drop unique non-craftable fishing gear (hats, vests, waders) – presumably from the last fisherman that attempted to catch this particular fish! Keep in mind that this fish is loot-able only to the fisherman, however others can help you take the fish down.

• When fileted (must have “Master Fileter” skill line) - good chance for perfect roe, gunny sacks and multiple rare fish (up to Epic) (a green or two and possibly also a single blue) inside of their bellies. (“Sack Frequency” and “Choosy fisherman” skill lines increase the chances for these drops)

• There is also a possibility for exclusive combat gear to drop, as these formidable fish have no qualms about their meals. Warriors taste the same as fisherman. (adding this would be a major incentive to everyone to take up the fishing skill line)
    A revised version of the system proposed based on that review is also available.
    To make the suggested edits from the review easier to follow, here they are woven into the original concept that was posted:

Expanded Fishing System: New Catches/Drops, New Craftable/Unlockable Items, and a New Skill Line

Fishing is an enjoyable part of MMOs for many players, including those who spend time in Tamriel through The Elder Scrolls Online. Below are suggestions for enhancing the fishing in ESO without taking away from the simplicity and challenge that already exists for those pursuing the Master Angler achievement. While the each section includes elements that are intended to work together, each section can be modified to work on its own if the others are rejected.

New Catches/Drops

The Elder Scrolls Online already has a functional, successful, easy to use, and rewarding fishing system as well as a fun and challenging set of fishing trophies and related achievements. While some elements of this proposal to expand the fishing system will impact trophy hunting to a modest degree, the changes are designed to minimize the impact and allow those who do not wish to engage in a more expansive fishing system to continue on more or less the same way that they always have.

To that end, something more needs to be added for players to catch besides rare trophy fish. Even trophy hunters will eventually earn all of the base-game achievements related to such fish.

Therefore new catchable fish and other creatures (perhaps special kinds of crustaceans, large worms, etc) are part of the expanded fishing system proposed. These new catches and existing catches will have new drops. Both catches and their drops, like perfect roe (but not nearly all of them so rare as perfect roe and none of them tied to hard to get alternatives to Crown Store convenience items), will have great value, such as being sold for varying amounts of gold, being included in Provisioning recipes, being used as part of an expanded set of Alchemy reagents, and perhaps even being used in other types of crafting as well.

As for drops, players will be able to fillet rare fish in this expanded fishing system. The odds of obtaining perfect roe or the new rare drops from this are as follows:

White-level (common): stays the same as it is now
    Green-level (fine): 35%
    Blue-level (superior): 70%
    Purple-level (epic) 90%
    Yellow/Gold-level (legendary): 100%

These new catches, however common or rare they may be, will not *not* part of the existing base-game trophy system for catching rare fish in terms of things like "Covenant Angler" or "Master Fisher". They offer a separate, but complimentary, incentive for players to take up or renew an interesting in fishing. Legendary fish (i.e. those with yellow/gold names) are also introduced with this system, and are extremely rare (in other words, your prayers to RNGesus will go unheard). More about this at the end of the proposal.

Craftable/Unlockable Fishing Gear

A slot for active fishing gear can be added to the character items screen or the current bait-select screen can be modified to include room for crafted poles and lures. Maybe an outer ring around the current bait ring? None of the crafted gear can be enchanted or modified it any way beyond the initial crafting options.

CRAFTABLE FISHING POLES

The automatic fishing pole to which every player already has unrestricted access and use will remain and become the standard for a white-level, or common, fishing pole. The time between casting and getting a bite and the odds for catching common fish, gunny sacks, and rare fish will not be altered.

Players will also have the option to craft additional poles using Woodworking. These can be substituted for the automatic standard pole when visiting a Fishing Hole. The material needed to make these poles comes from a special drop that occurs when refining wood, as finding just the right branch to fashion into a special fishing pole takes effort. These drops are *somewhat* rare (though nowhere near "WHYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!11!!" rare) but can come from refining any type of wood. And you only need one per pole.

Woodworkers will need to find instructions for making special poles, which can be found out in the world like regular drops but more likely to be found at fishing camps (just like getting motifs but not the whole "find ten pages per chapter" deal, just a page per type of special pole). These are not so insanely super-rare that you have to buy them in the Crown Store, just something you need to keep and eye out for when traveling near bodies of water.

These crafted poles can be upgraded, all the way to Legendary, using the existing wood tempers. Each upgrade *slightly* improves the chance of catching rare trophy fish but *significantly* increases the chance of getting particular (types of) non-trophy catches with rare/valuable drops. However, crafted poles have a limited number of uses. Every fish caught adds wear to the pole, and the rarer a fish is, the faster the pole will expire. Crafted poles cannot be "repaired". Once they are used up, they are gone. The player will need to craft or purchase more.

CRAFTABLE FISHING LURES

Good news metal workers, you can get into this as well!

Fishing lures *slightly* reduce the time it takes for fish to bite. They must be made specific to a particular water type (foul, river, lake, ocean) and can be substituted for regular bait. Like crafted poles, though, they come from somewhat rare drops (from any type of metal ore refined), have "motifs", can be upgraded, and have a limited number of uses before being worn out.

UNLOCKABLE COSTUMES

Titles? Dyes? Sure, cool. But true Master Fishers deserve a little more. Like a fun set of costumes you can acquire for particular Angler achievements, such as Pact Angler, Covenant Angler, Dominion Angler, and/or (at least) Master Fisher.

A New Skill Line

This is the most optional part if the new system is too much work, but it does offer a little something for those who are dedicated to fishing. And surely there is room in the World skill line section for one more addition.

Note: XP in this skill line will be gained through fishing. The rarity of the fish caught determines the XP gained. All skills are passive abilities – no active skills (and no new hotbar!) would be added.

Skill line 1 – Gunny Master
    • Sack Grabber - Increases the drop rate for gunny sacks.
    • Joy of Sacks - Improves the loot table for gunny sacks (also adds a very small chance to get unique fishing gear – such as special materials and motifs for crafting poles and lures).

Skill line 2 – Experienced Fisher
    • Longer & Stronger – Crafted fishing poles last 10% longer.
    • Happy Hooker – Crafted fishing lures last 10% longer.
    • Hole Seeker – Gain the ability to detect special fishing holes. These are only visible to fisherman with this skill. These holes are required for a chance to catch the Epic and Legendary fish.

• Experienced Filleter – Grants a 5% chance to double the yield of rare/valuable drops from filleting fish.
    • Veteran Filleter – Grants the ability to filet Fine and Superior fish.
    • Master Filleter – Grants the ability to filet Epic and Legendary fish.

• Bait Finder – Improves the drop rate of all forms of bait (through gathering and fishing).
    • Premium Baiter – Grants a 10% chance a piece of bait won't be used up from casting.

Special Note About Epic and Legendary Catches and Special Fishing Holes

This expanded system expands epic (purple-level) to the base-game zones and introduces legendary (yellow/gold-level) fish to Tamriel for the first time. For DLC like Wrothgar, an epic fish might have other special rules to be catchable, such as fishing at night. What is described here is intended for the base-game and any part of any DLC for which the developers wish to use the base-game rules.

To catch these ultra-rare fish:

- find hidden fishing holes using the Hole Seeker passive from the Experienced Fisher skill line.
    - use special bait (chub, minnows, etc) or special crafted lores from motifs intended specifically for ultra rare fish.
    - fight to haul epic or legendary fish out of the water*.

(*A mini-game with a fatigue bar for the fish appears and you must press buttons at the right time to wear such fish down before it gets away. Details below.)

Filetting ultra-rare fish:

- requires the Master Filleter passive from the Filleting Expertise skill line
    - grants a chance to find loot like gunny sacks (chance is higher for legendary fish)
    - grants a chance to find trophy fish (1-2 greens for epic fish, 1-2 greens and a blue for legendary fish)
    - grants a very high chance to find perfect roe (90% for epic fish, 100% chance for legendary fish
    - grants a chance to find set pieces for armor/weapons or a skyshard(legendary only)

Even with Hole Seeker, finding a special fishing hole is a somewhat rare thing, so be ready in case you find one! These holes offer common and other, lesser rares at the same rate as any other fishing hole of that water type at the same rate, but also have a chance to offer ultra-rares. You can tell you are going for one if the mini-game appears with a fatigue bar for the fish. Each time it surges to get away, press 'E' again. That counts as another cast though, so if you are using a crafted pole or lure make sure it isn't well-worn. If you press 'E' before the fish surged, it is just like regular fishing when you hit the button before a fish bites. The line snaps and it gets away!

And whatever else ZOS does or doesn't do with regard to fishing, simple bait needs to be made useful or taken out of the game. It is and has always been garbage.

Edited by tinythinker on December 16, 2015 8:52PM
    Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think getting Skyhards in Gunny Sacks would be alright... but not so many that it'll completely fill up the Fishing Skill line. like... 4 max.
    Naw, I have a better idea for that (maybe) @Gidorick. See my revised version of the OP's proposal in my comment above.
    Edited by tinythinker on December 16, 2015 8:54PM
    Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • gw2only1b14_ESO
    gw2only1b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Hello! I've been putting some thought into how to make fishing more rewarding and a game in itself. Please feel free to add ideas!

I would suggest for the less "chuckle" effect that skill line #4 be "Bait Master"
  • Asherons_Call
    Asherons_Call
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I would suggest for the less "chuckle" effect that skill line #4 be "Bait Master"

Haha I was wondering when someone would call me out on that one!
  • Lightninvash
    Lightninvash
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Fishing Skill line

EQUIPMENT:

– Craftable Fishing poles –Not enchantable – no need to introduce new runes but can be upgraded up to Legendary using the existing wood tempers. Each upgrade slightly improves chance of rare fish and fishing speed. (If you have no need to catch rare fish, stick with the basic white pole.) – Note – this would not go into your weapon slot. This item would go into a new inventory slot specifically for fishing poles and filet knives.
    - Epic and Legendary poles required to catch Epic and Legendary fish

Craftable Filet knives – Increased chances of perfect roe or other unique ingredients (insert ideas for new ingredients!) – Note – this would not go into your weapon slot. This item would go into a new inventory slot specifically for fishing poles and Filet knives.
    - Epic and Legendary filet knives required to filet Epic and Legendary fish

Craftable Fishermans gear (light armor 3 piece set) – Vest, Waders, and hat.
    ​2 pieces – Fishing speed increased
    ​3 pieces – Chance for 2 fish on one hook (also possible to nab 2 rares on one hook!)

SKILLS:

- With this skill, Gunny Sacks now drop Skyshards! (this is in order to make extra room for all of these new skills). There will be a cap on the number of Skyshards you can obtain. The exact number would be somewhere around the number needed to get all skills in the fishing line.

• Fishing Hole Sense – Special fishing holes now appear. These are only visible to fisherman with this skill. These holes are required for a chance to catch the new Epic and Legendary fish

• Roe Extraction- Improves chances for perfect roe

Epic (purple) fish – when fileted (must have “Master Fileter” skill line) - moderate chance for gunny sacks and rare fish (up to blue) inside of their bellies. (“Sack Frequency” and “Choosy fisherman” skill lines increase the chances for these drops)

Legendary (gold) fish – when caught do not automatically go in your inventory. You have to fight them first! These would be similar in strength to a world boss (not a wrothgar world boss!). When killed, These new Legendary fish bosses have a chance to drop unique non-craftable fishing gear (hats, vests, waders) – presumably from the last fisherman that attempted to catch this particular fish! Keep in mind that this fish is loot-able only to the fisherman, however others can help you take the fish down.

• When fileted (must have “Master Fileter” skill line) - good chance for perfect roe, gunny sacks and multiple rare fish (up to Epic) inside of their bellies. (“Sack Frequency” and “Choosy fisherman” skill lines increase the chances for these drops)

This would make fishing more fun. :)
  • Remag_Div
    Remag_Div
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was going to make my own thread but did a search and saw this and decided to bump this instead.

I started to finally start fishing a bit here and there to eventually get the coveted Master Angler title and I'm thinking "why isn't there a skill line dedicated to fishing?" We have skill lines for everything else we do in this game that it seems like an odd omission to ignore fishing.

Like the OP mentioned there are tons of good ideas to reward people who fish a lot. It would be pretty simple, the more you fish the more XP you get in the skill line. If you dedicate skill points, you can get things like slight increase to obtain rare fish, perfect roe, faster cast times, more fish per hole, etc.

Seems like a no-brainer to me.