The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Target / Training Dummies Concept (with pictures!)

Gidorick
Gidorick
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
This has been one of those items that players have asked for time and time again and ZOS has mentioned that they are working on it so I figured I would throw my two cents into the ring. Below are my thoughts on how Training Dummies could be implemented using the current mechanics of ESO. The developers have mentioned that they are working on design ideas for a Training Dummy Player Item but I feel this is the wrong way to go implement the concept within ESO. At least, it shouldn't ONLY be that.

TL/DR
ZOS should include multiple Training Dummy options across Tamriel using both assets that are in-game and newly added assets in and out of the Crown Store.

Topics
  1. Functional Training Dummies
  2. Dead Horse and how to beat it
  3. Dummy on the go
  4. You are the Dummy

Functional Training Dummies
There are already Training Dummies that are scattered throughout Tamriel being utilized by NPCs. Making these Training dummies functional should be first priority in adding training dummies to ESO. Unlike other MMOs I do not believe ESO should simply make these dummies attackable. The number of players that would be crowding around these dummies would make them quite useless. Instead, they should function similarly to a crafting station.
5RQxYS6.jpg?1
When a player selects a training dummy, their character model should be removed from public view and the player should see their character attacking the training dummy. The character should be attacking automatically. A selector switch should switch between light and heavy attacks. The player’s Skill Bar should also be available so the player can use their skills on the training dummy. The weapon swap should also be fully functional during this training session.

When the player switches between ranged and close combat their character should dynamically roll back and away from the training dummy for ranged combat and should jump forward, toward the training dummy for close combat.
3Ogcyaf.jpg?1
The two Menus available to the player should be the player's weapons inventory and their skills menu. This will allow the player to swap out weapons and skills as their character attacks the dummy. NOTE: Players should be able to use skills that do damage & skills that heal on these dummies. A dynamic damage log should be kept during the training session that performs in function similarly to the Death Recap, showing the skill used and the damaged/healing that was dealt.
vqEFrS6.jpg?1
Players should receive no XP for attacking the training dummy and the dummy should have a limited, but extremely large, amount of HP. Once the dummy is destroyed, or the player chooses to exit the training, they are given a full screen, scrollable report of their damage.
l2xH1It.jpg?1
There should also be an achievement and an accompanying burlap paint texture for killing 10,000 dummies. I would love to run around in burlap looking armor. Heheh.

Dead Horse and how to beat it
I have another thread mentioning this very concept HERE. This training dummy would pretty much be a novelty item in the world of Tamriel and would function similarly to standard training dummies except a player wouldn’t go into a crafting-esque menu. While you would see other players as they hit the horse, you wouldn't see their damage numbers.

The player would simply target the horse and attack it. Whatever damage the player unleased upon the equestrian carcass is displayed on their screen in the same manner as the Functional Training Dummies.
NSTNjB5.jpg?1
ZOS could add animations with the horse shifting slightly with the flat hollow sounds of the player’s weapon contact. The horse should have unlimited health and should never be destroyed. However, a player should receive an achievement for using all dead-horse training dummies in all three factions. Maybe give the player the title of Dead Horse Beater. :lol:

Dummy on the go
Now comes the Personal Training Dummy item which should be purchasable from the Crown Store. This allows a player to plant a training dummy anywhere to check their damage. It should function exactly as a stationary training dummy but it will be able to be accessed anywhere from the player’s inventory. This item should be similar to a trophy and would be destructible.
4qTA9XD.jpg?1
One difference between the personal training dummy and the stationary dummies would be that other players would see you and your dummy while you are training. Players and Mobs would be able to attack players using their Personal Training Dummies, so it wouldn’t be wise to use the Personal Training Dummy in Cyrodiil or around Mobs… but it should be possible to if the player is outside of combat.

Once the player is finished with the dummy, if there is health remaining, the dummy returns to the player’s inventory for later use. If the player depletes the dummy’s health and it is destroyed, the item is destroyed and the player must purchase another Personal Training Dummy, if they so desire.

4: You are the Dummy
Ok, you’re going to have to just bare with me on this one.

Players should be able to purchase a Dummy Costume from the Crown Store that not only outfits them to look like a training dummy but should also allow certain other players to hit them without damage actually being dealt.

Players wearing the Dummy Costume will be able to be hit by the other members of their group. The attacking players will see the damage they are dealing much in the same manner as the Dead Horse Target Dummy. Only group members are able to attack the player wearing the Dummy Costume. Aside from this, there is no other functionality to the Dummy Costume.
BRcCR7n.jpg?1
Again, the player wearing the Dummy Costume will not be damaged or phased in any way by their group member attackers. If the player isn’t grouped, no one will be able to attack them without there being resulting damage.

The Dummy Costume should work in and out of Cyrodiil.

Archer Targets
At this point, you may be thinking I missed the Archery Targets but I have a different thought for those specific items. I will post these thoughts at some point in the near future.
pYwG3Tn.jpg?1

Wrapup
So what do you think? Would you like to have these options? Are there other options you would like for Training Dummies? Is the Dummy Costume too much? I think giving players a multitude of ways to check their damage will fulfill many players desires and will ensure one system doesn’t get over-run by players.

Thoughts?
Edited by Gidorick on May 3, 2016 4:44AM
What ESO really needs is an Auction Horse.
That's right... Horse.
Click HERE to discuss.

Want more crazy ideas? Check out my Concept Repository!
  • Heromofo
    Heromofo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bloody brillant Gidorick +1 +1 +1
  • Alphashado
    Alphashado
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nice write up. I am for anything that will make ZoS officially acknowledge the need/demand for training dummies instead of being stuck in the dark ages of MMOs.

That being said, it wouldn't matter if several people were attacking the same target if everyone is using their own damage meter.
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alphashado wrote: »
    Nice write up. I am for anything that will make ZoS officially acknowledge the need/demand for training dummies instead of being stuck in the dark ages of MMOs.

That being said, it wouldn't matter if several people were attacking the same target if everyone is using their own damage meter.

Maybe not @Alphashado, but this would prevent having one dummy with 20 people crowded around it, swinging away, and Training Dummies functioning like crafting would make it a more methodical experience. There is also the justice concern, there are NPCs using some of those dummies and if you cast an AOE attack and kill them, you're going to get in trouble. :scream:
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Junipus
    Junipus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What would be the purpose of training dummies?

If it's just a dps test then there are already add ons that provide that information and areas with large HP enemies that provide good test subjects.

If it's for grinding abilities then there are grind spots for those already in place.

Would any of the above suggestions be automated or would players be required to sit there spamming abilities for some given purpose?
    The Legendary Nothing
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If it's just a dps test then there are already add ons that provide that information and areas with large HP enemies that provide good test subjects.

If it's for grinding abilities then there are grind spots for those already in place.

Would any of the above suggestions be automated or would players be required to sit there spamming abilities for some given purpose?

As I mentioned, Weapon attacks would be automated with the player switching between light and heavy attacks.

Skills would have to be activated.

And the purpose? Maybe someone else could answer that. I wouldn't use them. I just saw that people had asked for them and I had an idea. :wink:

Well, I WOULD get the costume for the humor of it. :lol:
    Edited by Gidorick on May 29, 2015 12:52PM
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Heromofo
    Heromofo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gidorick wrote: »

As I mentioned, Weapon attacks would be automated with the player switching between light and heavy attacks.

Skills would have to be activated.

And the purpose? Maybe someone rise could answer that. I wouldn't use them. I just saw that people had asked for them and I had an idea. :wink:

Well, I WOULD get the costume for the humor of it. :lol:

Simple maximum dps lol
  • Xendyn
    Xendyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Other than dps...
    Being able to assess numbers in a neutral situation for a baseline
    Testing different skill rotations
    Comparing different gear/weapon sets
    Testing proc rates on sets/weapons
    Testing different Champion point allocations

And the ever popular...
    Figuring out what ZOS broke This time :wink:
    Lag is ruinin' my 'mershun!
    A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.
    There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance - Socrates
    Member of the Old Guard, keepers of the game's history

PC/NA
  • gard
    gard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would be first in line to buy the training dummy costume. I love it!
    My wife complains that I never listen to her. (Or something like that.)
    -- I'm a one man smurf zerg!

My ESO addons:
    Midnight - Find out when midnight is so that you can check for ww/vamp spawn.
    Goto - Adds a tab to the map pane allowing you to teleport to a friend, guildmate, or groupmate for free.
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    gard wrote: »
    I would be first in line to buy the training dummy costume. I love it!

Didn't they mention the possibility of a costume design contest?

Well here's my entry!
    MA1DYu7.jpg?1
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Davadin
    Davadin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This has been one of those items that players have asked for time and time again and ZOS has mentioned that they are working on it so I figured I would throw my two cents into the ring. Below are my thoughts on how Training Dummies could be implemented using the current mechanics of ESO. The developers have mentioned that they are working on design ideas for a Training Dummy Player Item but I feel this is the wrong way to go implement the concept within ESO. At least, it shouldn't ONLY be that.

TL/DR
    ZOS should include multiple Training Dummy options across Tamriel using both assets that are in-game and newly added assets in and out of the Crown Store.

Topics
    1. Functional Training Dummies
    2. Dead Horse and how to beat it
    3. Dummy on the go
    4. You are the Dummy

Functional Training Dummies
    There are already Training Dummies that are scattered throughout Tamriel being utilized by NPCs. Making these Training dummies functional should be first priority in adding training dummies to ESO. Unlike other MMOs I do not believe ESO should simply make these dummies attackable. The number of players that would be crowding around these dummies would make them quite useless. Instead, they should function similarly to a crafting station.
    5RQxYS6.jpg?1
    When a player selects a training dummy, their character model should be removed from public view and the player should see their character attacking the training dummy. The character should be attacking automatically. A selector switch should switch between light and heavy attacks. The player’s Skill Bar should also be available so the player can use their skills on the training dummy. The weapon swap should also be fully functional during this training session.

When the player switches between ranged and close combat their character should dynamically roll back and away from the training dummy for ranged combat and should jump forward, toward the training dummy for close combat.
    3Ogcyaf.jpg?1
    The two Menus available to the player should be the player's weapons inventory and their skills menu. This will allow the player to swap out weapons and skills as their character attacks the dummy. A dynamic damage log should be kept during the training session that performs in function similarly to the Death Recap, showing the skill used and the damaged that was dealt.
    vqEFrS6.jpg?1
    Players should receive no XP for attacking the training dummy and the dummy should have a limited, but extremely large, amount of HP. Once the dummy is destroyed, or the player chooses to exit the training, they are given a full screen, scrollable report of their damage.
    l2xH1It.jpg?1
    There should also be an achievement and an accompanying burlap paint texture for killing 10,000 dummies. I would love to run around in burlap looking armor. Heheh.

Dead Horse and how to beat it
    I have another thread mentioning this very concept HERE. This training dummy would pretty much be a novelty item in the world of Tamriel and would function similarly to standard training dummies except a player wouldn’t go into a crafting-esque menu. The player would simply target the horse and attack it. Whatever damage the player unleased upon the equestrian carcass is displayed on their screen in the same manner as the Functional Training Dummies.
    NSTNjB5.jpg?1
    ZOS could add animations with the horse shifting slightly with the flat hollow sounds of the player’s weapon contact. The horse should have unlimited health and should never be destroyed. However, a player should receive an achievement for using all training dummies in all three factions.

Dummy on the go
    Now comes the Personal Training Dummy item which should be purchasable from the Crown Store. This allows a player to plant a training dummy anywhere to check their damage. It should function exactly as a stationary training dummy but it will be able to be accessed anywhere from the player’s inventory. This item should be similar to a trophy and would be destructible.
    4qTA9XD.jpg?1
    One difference between the personal training dummy and the stationary dummies would be that other players would see you and your dummy while you are training. Players and Mobs would be able to attack players using their Personal Training Dummies, so it wouldn’t be wise to use the Personal Training Dummy in Cyrodiil or around Mobs… but it should be possible to do so.

Once the player is finished with the dummy, if there is health remaining, the dummy returns to the player’s inventory for later use. If the player depletes the dummy’s health and it is destroyed, the item is destroyed and the player must purchase another Personal Training Dummy, if they so desire.

4: You are the Dummy
    Ok, you’re going to have to just bare with me on this one.

Players should be able to purchase a Dummy Costume from the Crown Store that not only outfits them to look like a training dummy but should also allow certain other players to hit them without damage actually being dealt.

Players wearing the Dummy Costume will be able to be hit by the other members of their group. The attacking players will see the damage they are dealing much in the same manner as the Dead Horse Target Dummy. Only group members are able to attack the player wearing the Dummy Costume. Aside from this, there is no other functionality to the Dummy Costume.
    MA1DYu7.jpg?1
    Again, the player wearing the Dummy Costume will not be damaged or phased in any way by their group member attackers. If the player isn’t grouped, no one will be able to attack them without there being resulting damage.

The Dummy Costume should work in and out of Cyrodiil.

Archer Targets
    At this point, you may be thinking I missed the Archery Targets but I have a different thought for those specific items. I will post these thoughts at some point in the near future.
    pYwG3Tn.jpg?1

Wrapup
    So what do you think? Would you like to have these options? Are there other options you would like for Training Dummies? Is the Dummy Costume too much? I think giving players a multitude of ways to check their damage will fulfill many players desires and will ensure one system doesn’t get over-run by players.

Thoughts?

holy crap that's brilliant.

@ZOS_GinaBruno please check this out!

PS: you missed one requirement: Dummy should be available to purchase and install in Housing instances ;)
    August Palatine Davadin Bloodstrake - Nord Dragon Knight - PC NA - Gray Host
    Greymoor 6.0.7 PvP : Medium 2H/SnB The Destroyer
    Dragonhold 5.2.11 PvE : Medium DW/2H The Blood Furnace
    March 2021 (too lazy to add CP) PvP: Medium DW/Bow The Stabber
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ooh... good point @Davadin... When Houses are added, of course. :wink:
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Heromofo
    Heromofo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ooh... good point @Davadin... When Houses are added, of course. :wink:

Indeed
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I changed the helm of the Dummy costume a bit. The eyes were too "goggle-y" for my taste. I originally used the rim of a burlap bag from inside ESO but it just ended up a bit weird. The new version has more of a "torn hole" look.

Old Design:
    MA1DYu7.jpg?1

New Design:
    BRcCR7n.jpg?1
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• dabulls7491
    dabulls7491
    ✭✭✭
    Yes we need this!
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes we need this!

I agree @dabulls7491! Especially that costume... that would totally be a hoot! :lol:
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was digging around in my files and found this.

It made me laugh. :lol:
    beatadeadhorse_banner_by_gidorick-d933nav.png
    Edited by Gidorick on July 28, 2015 2:08AM
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Dekken_Blake
    Dekken_Blake
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent idea.
  • Molag_Crow
    Molag_Crow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Absolutely brilliant. The whole training dummy concept is awesome! especially if they were put in major cities for all to whack!

Although I personally would prefer them to be public so we can see each other whack a dummy, maybe if there's even "raid-type" dummies and just the average type for anybody, but enough dummies so that there isn't too much focus on the one to cause lag and... pointlessness, I guess? I don't know!
    Edited by Molag_Crow on July 28, 2015 2:20AM
    --ϟ-- Crows_Descend - Templar - Ebonheart Pact [PS4]&[PC] [EU] --ϟ--
    YoutTube ESO Playlist
    The greatest prison that people live in, is the fear of what other people think. - David Icke
    Be your true, authentic self.

• Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely brilliant. The whole training dummy concept is awesome! especially if they were put in major cities for all to whack!

Although I personally would prefer them to be public so we can see each other whack a dummy, maybe if there's even "raid-type" dummies and just the average type for anybody, but enough dummies so that there isn't too much focus on the one to cause lag and... pointlessness, I guess? I don't know!

The Dead Horse Training Dummy would serve that purpose @CrowsDescend. I added the following sentence to the concept to clarify this.

"This means that you would see other players as they hit the horse, but you wouldn't see their damage numbers."
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Molag_Crow
    Molag_Crow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ah I see, that's great anyway. B)
    --ϟ-- Crows_Descend - Templar - Ebonheart Pact [PS4]&[PC] [EU] --ϟ--
    YoutTube ESO Playlist
    The greatest prison that people live in, is the fear of what other people think. - David Icke
    Be your true, authentic self.

• Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah I see, that's great anyway. B)

Lol. Yea. I quite like the idea of a bunch of players huddled around a horse carcasses whacking away incessantly. Not to mention the slight deadpan humor in the fact that many players begged for this after initial release. So much so that people began posting dead horse pics on those threads. That inspired the initial idea of dead horses being target dummies.

Same origin of the Auction Horse, really. :wink:
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Kaliki
    Kaliki
    ✭✭✭✭
    I really like your ideas, @Gidorick.
    The only thing that is partly missing from your ideas seems to be group play.

You already mentioned that a character should disappear/get its own instance for attacking a dummy. I would suggest extending this to group members, so you are able to test abilities with synergies or that otherwise depend on other players (like the Templar's Reflective Light - does it store other ppls damage or not?).

In case making groups/single players disappear in certain areas poses technical difficulties I would simply suggest to add training rooms inside every Fighter's guild which act like an instance.
    - Templars: Slower by Design® -
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I first joined this game I saw the training dummies. I tried shooting one and killed a npc, receiving my first bounty the second I got off the boat. What a disappointment.
    Rift has training dummies with different levels (including boss monster dummies) that you can use to test your DPS on. It's a great idea. Simple idea, but highly useful +1
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kaliki wrote: »
    I really like your ideas, @Gidorick.
    The only thing that is partly missing from your ideas seems to be group play.

You already mentioned that a character should disappear/get its own instance for attacking a dummy. I would suggest extending this to group members, so you are able to test abilities with synergies or that otherwise depend on other players (like the Templar's Reflective Light - does it store other ppls damage or not?).

In case making groups/single players disappear in certain areas poses technical difficulties I would simply suggest to add training rooms inside every Fighter's guild which act like an instance.

Good point Kaliki! I could see this mechanic extending to grouping pretty easily. If you're in a group and a group member uses a target dummy, that group member could remain visible to group members while they attack the dummy then any group member could also select the dummy to join in the target practice and each player would see the damage done by the other players.

Thanks for the input!
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LOL @CheeseDivinity. Thanks for the laugh. :lol:
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the latest ESO Live @ZOS_GinaBruno answered a question from @FuriousFridge regarding training dummies.
    Are you ever going to allow some form of training dummy to use for testing builds etc?

And the answer was:
    We have talked about this on and off internally, it always just gets pushed down on the priority list a little bit. But it would make sense to come in with, say... housing?
    (question mark added for inflection used)

While this is great news, I hope ZOS will consider extending whatever mechanic they come up with to public areas, portable dummies, and ... I can't help it... I REALLY think those dummy costumes would be tons of fun. :wink: These can be fun, social tools used for player interaction. Not just something we beat in the privacy of our own homes.

I would love to beat a dead horse in the middle of the wilderness with other players. That would just be so amusing. :lol:

That being said, Training Dummies to buy for our homes sounds really great though! Check out the brief mention on ESO Live 28 at about the 49:45 mark.

http://www.twitch.tv/zenimaxonlinestudios/v/22069728
    Edited by Gidorick on October 27, 2015 1:50PM
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Leifnier
    Leifnier
    ✭✭✭
    This. Add it.

Sincerely, everyone on console.
  • BeardLumber
    BeardLumber
    ✭✭✭✭
    Leifnier wrote: »
    This. Add it.

Sincerely, everyone. on console.

Fixed.
    Heals Please
    PC Master Race
  • willymchilybily
    willymchilybily
    ✭✭✭✭
    you PC guys always forget console players without addons :disappointed:
    PSN - WarpPigeon - Guild: TheSyndicate - EU, Ebonheart Pact
    Dragon Knight [Magicka] - 720 - Stormproof
    Night Blade [Magicka] - 720 - Stormproof
    Sorcerer [Magicka] - 720 - Flawless Conqueror
    Templar [Magicka] - 720 - Stormproof
    Dragon Knight [Stamina] - 720 - Stormproof
    Night Blade [Stamina] - 720 - Stormproof
    Sorcerer [Stamina] - 720
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What do you mean @willymchilybily? This concept would be for everyone. Not just console or PC... no add-ons required.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.