The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Invulnerable NPC Danger Awareness Concept

Gidorick
Gidorick
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Here’s an easy one:

While I 100% agree that some NPCs shouldn’t be able to be killed, such as merchants and quest givers, they shouldn’t just stare blankly if a player swings at them with an axe or pokes at them with a sword. Add the cowering animation to these NPCs so that they coil back in fear as we swing our weapons toward them. Maybe even add a mechanic to where if we swing at them a few times in a row they call for help, which causes us to get a little bounty and some heat.

Just because they’re invulnerable doesn’t mean they have to be oblivious.
What ESO really needs is an Auction Horse.
That's right... Horse.
Click HERE to discuss.

Want more crazy ideas? Check out my Concept Repository!
  • Natjur
    Natjur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just make them all like the guards, so yes you can attack them but they just one shot you.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It could add to the game. But it could also add to the griefing, so the threshold to call for a guard would have to be quite low.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    It could add to the game. But it could also add to the griefing, so the threshold to call for a guard would have to be quite low.

Oh I agree.... I was thinking like 4 "attacks". The way they have it now, they aren't even hit. You can hit the guards, but NPCs just ignore you completely. To clarify, I don't think they should be able to be hit, just make it so that if you swing close enough to hit them X number of times within X amount of time... they scream and guards come running.

They might have to have to have the same "immortality" as guards to make this possible. Maybe they will need to be hit for it to register as a "hit", they would just have a crazy amount of health like guards. I would prefer if they don't go that route.

I'd prefer if the weapons continue to be ineffective but the system recognizes that if they COULD be hit... they would be hit, so the NPC cowers in fear. For example: make it so that if they are "hit" more than 4 times in 30 seconds the guards are called.
    Edited by Gidorick on April 28, 2015 11:05PM
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Pallmor
    Pallmor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just want to know why the guards in this game are stronger than Molag Bal, and why THEY'RE not the ones fighting him instead of me.
  • ShadowMage
    ShadowMage
    ✭✭✭
    Could make it like Oblivion and Skyrim where they can be "killed" but not really killed. They just go down on one knee to recover, then get back up like nothing ever happened.
    PC / NA
    Thenathra - Khajiit Stormblade (Sorcerer - Dual-wield Swords/Lightning Staff)

Several alts I've created, but haven't leveled much yet:
    Norryne - Dunmer Paladin (Templar - Two-hand Hammer/One-hand Hammer & Shield)
    Demerwei - Argonian Shadowscale (Nightblade - Dual-wield Axes/Dual-wield Daggers)
    Gohrnag - Orc Elementalist (Dragon Knight - Frost Staff/Lightning Staff)
    Kerasha - Redguard Mystic (Templar - Flame Staff/Restoration Staff)
    Alawael - Bosmer Assassin (Nightblade - Bow/Two-hand Battleaxe)
    Hjerlm the Quiet - Nord Dragonguard (Dragon Knight - One-hand Sword & Shield/Two-hand Greatsword)
  • bertenburnyb16_ESO
    bertenburnyb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    INDAC (Invulnerable NPC Danger Awareness Concept) would be nice though (fyi that name is to long so I shortened it)
    Haze Ramoran Dunmer Dragonknight Tank/Dps – Smoked-Da-Herb Saxheel Templar Tank/Healer

Red Diamond, Protect us 'til the end (EU EP Thorn)
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could make it like Oblivion and Skyrim where they can be "killed" but not really killed. They just go down on one knee to recover, then get back up like nothing ever happened.

I like this idea. The whole issue is how other people need to be able to access these merchants. It appears that merchants, like crafting, are instanced to each player. I don't see why out couldn't function in a way that if a player approaches a cowering merchant and talks to them the merchant couldn't just stand up and do business with that player while appearing to cower to other players.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Osteos
    Osteos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm this is an interesting idea. It could be something like in Skyrim when you used shouts in town. Even if you didn't hit anyone the guards would come up to you and ask you to stop. In ESO if you respond nicely and stop attacking the guards go away and the threat is reset. If you are rude and/or continue attacking the guards become hostile.

It would certainly help put a stop to skill spamming in town.
    DAGGERFALL COVENANT
    NA PC
    Former Vehemence Member
    Onistka Valerius <> Artemis Renault <> Gonk gra-Ugrash <> Karietta <> Zercon at-Rusa <> Genevieve Renault <> Ktaka <> Brenlyn Renault