Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

ESO+ Subscription Benefits Suggestions

Gidorick
Gidorick
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
The Subscription-optional payment method for MMOs is nothing new. I think we might benefit from looking at what other MMO’s have done with their optional subscription to compare it to what ESO is planning on doing.

ESO Subscription Benefits
  • 1500 crowns per 30-day membership period
  • Access to all downloadable content for the duration of membership
  • 10% bonus to experience point gain
  • 10% bonus to crafting research
  • 10% bonus to crafting inspiration gain
  • 10% bonus to gold acquisition

The current plan for subscription benefits for ESO is a good start. We can all agree that we do NOT want Pay-to-Win benefits (well… no more than we already have) many of the subscriptions below have quite a few Pay-to-Win benefits, SWOTR seeming to be the most egregious.
Age of Conan Subscription Benefits
  • Full access to Character Classes
  • Full access to Adventure Zones
  • Full access to Dungeons
  • Full access to Raids
  • Full access to Sieges
  • Full access to Bank Space
  • Full access to Guilds
  • Full access to Alternative Advancement
  • Full access to Mount Training
  • Full access to offliine levels
  • Full access to Veteran gain
  • 8 Character slots (normally 2)
  • 10% Item Shop Discount
Archage Subscription Benefits
  • Work Ethic Bonus: Double your Labor Point regeneration to 10/5 min!
  • Deep Sleeper Bonus: Earn Labor Points (5/5 min) even while you’re offline.
  • Max Labor Bonus: Increase your maximum Labor Points to 5,000.
  • Bonus Experience: Get a 10% bonus to all Experience gained through questing, combat, and labor usage.
  • Loyalty Tokens: Get 5 Loyalty Tokens when you log in each day. Redeem them for special items at the in-game Loyalty Store!
  • Bonus Credits: Receive 10% bonus credits with the purchase of any Credit Pack.
  • Land Ownership: Claim and own a piece of Erenor by placing farms and houses!
  • Auction House Listing: Get full access to listing and selling items on the Auction House.
  • Patron Queue: Receive priority queuing when entering the game.
DCUO Subscription Benefits
  • Access to all DLC Packs
  • 150 Free Replay Badges Monthly
  • Unlimited Prometheum Lockbox Unlocks
  • Unlimited in-game currency
  • More Inventory Slots
  • Free daily Vault Access
  • Form a League
  • 14 Additional character slots
  • 20 Broker slots
  • 36 Additional Bank slots
  • Trade items and cash
Everquest 2 Subscription Benefits
  • Additional 5 character slots ($50 Value)
  • Early access to select new content releases
  • Double ALL alternative currency earned in-game
  • 15% more coin
  • 10% bonus mount speed
  • Member-only items at in-game Loyalty Merchants
  • Access to all spell tiers
  • Get 5 free Legends of Norrath trading card game packs per month ($15 Value + Loot)
  • Full access to in-game broker
  • Unlimited Chat channel access
  • Full access to in-game mail
  • Full Guild Functionality
  • Preferred Status with Customer Service
LOTRO Subscription Benefits
  • Mailbox Field Access
  • Custom character portrait frame
  • Access All Character Trait Slots
  • Daily +100% XP*
  • 500 Turbine Points per month
  • Free weekly Gold Hobbit Present
  • Access All Quest Packs and Skirmishes*
  • Access All Monster Classes
  • Unlimited Chat
  • Access All Crafting Guilds
  • 20 Slots of Shared Wardrobe Space
  • Access All Crafting Guilds
  • 20 Slots of Shared Wardrobe Space
  • No Currency Cap
  • Additional Inventory Slots
  • Maximum Auction House Listings
Rift Subscription Benefits
  • FAVOR & PRESTIGE: 40% boosts to PvP XP and reputation gain.
  • MOUNTED COMMAND: Travel faster with +10% Mount Speed, +25% faster mounting, and -5% chance to be dismounted.
  • BONUS TOKENS:40% boost to RIFT currencies like Plaques of Achievement (dungeons), Marks of Ascension (raids), Craftsman Marks, and more!
  • PATRON SUMMONS: Instant access to your Banker, Guild Banker, and Trainer.
  • BONUS EXPERIENCE: 40% XP boost helps you level faster to 60 and beyond…or toggle it off if you’d rather take it slow!
  • EXTRA CURRENCY: Earn +15% currency (always on).
  • MARVELOUS LUCK: Get rewarded with an increased chance for Marvelous loot from Supply Crates!
  • BONUS LOOT: Get a free Greenscale’s Supply Crate each week.
  • ARTIFACT TRACKING: Reveal artifacts on your minimap for 30 minutes each day!
  • EXTRA DAILY QUESTS: Get +10 to your Daily Quest limit!
  • LOYALTY: Earn more veteran rewards the longer you subscribe.
  • NOTORIETY: 40% boost to PvE reputation gain.
  • PRIORITY QUEUE: Move to the front of the line when your shard is full.
  • STORE DISCOUNT: Get 10% off all purchases made with Credits in the RIFT Store.
  • PATRON FAST PASS: Teleport on the go without a Porticulum (no matter where you are!) once every 30 mins.
  • WEEKLY BONUS CHARGES: +3 Bonus Reward Charges for Random Dungeons and Warfronts each week.
  • PATRON’S RADIANCE: Let your inner nature shine with a special cosmetic ability reserved for Patrons!
The Secret World Subscription Benefits
  • The Time Accelerator. This clickable item increases experience gain for defeating monsters by 100% for 1 hour and has a 23 hour cool-down. This item can only be used by Members and Grand Masters.
  • $10 worth of Bonus Points given out every month which can be used towards any product in the Item Store of The Secret World (bonus points are valid for 6 months).
  • Membership Item-of-the-month gift (given out every month).
  • 10% discount to everything in the Item Store including Content Packs (discounts to the Item Store do not stack with other offers).
  • Early Access to any new DLC (usually 3 days before non-members get access)
Star Wars the Old Republic Subscription Benefits
  • Story Content
  • Sprint
  • Emergency Fleet Pass
  • Crew Skills
  • Game Login
  • Bank/Cargo Hold
  • Credit Cap
  • Chat
  • Mail
  • Secure Trading
  • Galactic Trade Network
  • Respecialization
  • Character Creation
  • Operations
  • Warzones
  • Flashpoints
  • Space Missions
  • Inventory
  • QUick Travel
  • Mounts
  • Revive
  • Item Equipping
  • Commendations Cap
  • Guilds
  • Vendors
  • Expereince Rate
  • Experience Rate: Rest XP
  • Valor Rate
  • GUI: Quickbars
  • Items:Event Rewards
  • Items: Mod Removal
  • Items: Augment Slots
  • Customer Service Support

There are MANY benefits here that should NEVER be held behind the ESO Plus Subscription like the ability to sprint, additional command slots or GUI advantages. ESO Plus will include an overall 10% XP gain bonus while some other games offer a 100% bonus XP gain for a short period of time each day, which is too much.

Looking at the list from other games I think there are few benefits that ESO Plus could include to make the program more enticing for new and old players alike
ESO PLUS SUGGESTED LIST OF BENNEFITS
  • 1500 crowns per 30-day membership period: Current Benefit
  • Access to all downloadable content for the duration of membership Current Benefit
  • 10% bonus to experience point gain Current Benefit
  • 10% bonus to crafting research Current Benefit
  • 10% bonus to crafting inspiration gain Current Benefit
  • 10% bonus to gold acquisition Current Benefit
  • 10% Public Crown Store discount: This would entice players to buy more as subscribers!
  • Ownership of DLC as Loyalty Bonuses over time If DLC pack 1 costs $45 require players be subscribed for a TOTAL of 4 non-consecutive months to own this DLC. If DLC pack 2 costs $30, require players be subscribed for an additional 3 months (7) to own this DLC. The total cost of the months subscribed should be MORE than the cost of the DLC. Players shouldn't lose access to these owned DLC if they unsubscribe.
  • Able to join up to 10 Guilds Players who subscribe should be able to join more guilds than those who do not. The additional guilds should be under the "subscriber guilds" and should be clear as to which the player will loose access to if they unsubscribe.
  • +4 Additional Character slots Players should have access to an additional 4 character slots, which they loose access to if they unsubscribe.
  • Priority queuing when entering game and zoning: Subscribers should be at the front of the line to get into the game and to move from one area to another.
  • Access to a subscriber-exclusive area of the Crown Store. In a special subscriber-only area of the crown store players will still have to buy items with Crowns but the 10% Subscriber discount should NOT apply to these items. ALL players should be able to view the Subscriber Crown Store, but only Subscribers should be able to buy from it. Additionally, this could include the following 3 features.
    • 1 month early access to all Costumes and Mounts: Giving a month's early access to Costumes and Mounts will do a lot to make subscriptions desirable. Subscribers who buy these items early will not get the 10% crown store discount.
    • 5 day early access to all DLC expansions: Giving 5 days early access will entice players who feel like they must play the newest content right away won't be able to resist subscribing!
    • Longer access to limited time items: ZOS could add limited sale items to the ESO+ section of the crown store one week early... and take them out one week later.
    • More frequent Limited Item Rotation: If ZOS is planning to have a specific item only available one time a year in the Crown Store, it could be available one additional time per year in the ESO+ section of the crown store.
    • Ability to purchase the Pledge of Mara: Only in the Subscriber Crown Store should the Pledge of Mara be able to be purchased.
  • Monthly Subscriber Treasure Maps: Each month, Subscribers should get at least 1 map (1 in each faction would be nice) that leads players to treasures. These treasures could include special subscriber items.

(The below suggestions are dependent on features I’ve suggested that are not currently in ESO)

With these additions, a subscription would offer enough of a benefit to have subscribers remain subscribed, regardless of their level in ESO, and would entice non-subscribed players to become subscribers. Additionally, the long cooldown on items such as the Waystone, Mudcrab Merchant Whistle, Creeper Summoning Relic, and Goblin Banker Bell would encourage subscribers to buy the consumable versions of these items from the crown store.

Thoughts?
Edited by Gidorick on October 10, 2015 5:14AM
What ESO really needs is an Auction Horse.
That's right... Horse.
Click HERE to discuss.

Want more crazy ideas? Check out my Concept Repository!
  • Dazin93
    Dazin93
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't agree. I think pay to win benefits are the way to go. The balancing would no longer be an issue and it's clear ZOS has no idea how to balance classes anyways. Also, those with the most money can dominate the game and at least then ESO can retain a loyal, albeit small, following.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No pay to win.

However, I do think it is necessary for players to see an optional something that says a player is subscribed at the time. A pet or mount that is only available for the duration of the subscription would be enough. They would have to be unique to the subscription and not available in any other form via the store.

I suggested a Hunger pet in another thread. It is appropriate to this game and not currently used.

The main reason for this is simply advertizing.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No pay to win.

However, I do think it is necessary for players to see an optional something that says a player is subscribed at the time. A pet or mount that is only available for the duration of the subscription would be enough. They would have to be unique to the subscription and not available in any other form via the store.

I suggested a Hunger pet in another thread. It is appropriate to this game and not currently used.

Would a Subscriber specific Crown Store section fit this need or are you thinking of more of a monthly pet/item/etc?
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• SanderBuraas
    SanderBuraas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. You self state that the subscription benefits from the other games are pay to win, why would you want to integrate some of that to eso?
  • Audigy
    Audigy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I cant speak for others, but to make me sub the following things must be there.

1. Free DLC´s (including ownership of old if I unsub)
    2. Priority Queue (in case F2P crowds and bots hinder me on getting online instantly)
    3. Free crowns (will happen)
    4. Priority tickets in support (not that I had to wait long so far, but you never know with F2P, if a million people make one, it could takes ages to get an answer)
    5. (5) more char slots & bank space (as a Bonus, not necessary)

I don't care at all about xp boosts & co. I play for myself only and not to prove something to others and I am slow anyways.

What F2P must have to make me stay

1. Unlimited access to dungeons, quests and Cyrodil
    2. All current char slots (since I play 8)
    3. Old DLC´s that I paid for with my sub
    4. No limitations like "only x crafts a day, only level 50 - no access to CS, removal of weapon swap...)

Again, I wouldn't care at all if those with a sub or in the shop buy items, boosts or anything. This doesn't matter to me, I play for fun and not for competing with others.
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Audigy wrote: »

2. Priority Queue (in case F2P crowds and bots hinder me on getting online instantly)
    4. Priority tickets in support (not that I had to wait long so far, but you never know with F2P, if a million people make one, it could takes ages to get an answer)

I don't care at all about xp boosts & co. I play for myself only and not to prove something to others and I am slow anyways.

4. No limitations like "only x crafts a day, only level 50 - no access to CS, removal of weapon swap...)

Again, I wouldn't care at all if those with a sub or in the shop buy items, boosts or anything. This doesn't matter to me, I play for fun and not for competing with others.
    I agree completely, with one exception: I dont care about more character slots because I haven't even used up all 8 yet.
  • Spiritreaver_ESO
    Spiritreaver_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Dazin93 wrote: »
    I don't agree. I think pay to win benefits are the way to go. The balancing would no longer be an issue and it's clear ZOS has no idea how to balance classes anyways. Also, those with the most money can dominate the game and at least then ESO can retain a loyal, albeit small, following.

Fair opinion.

But how small is too small? I mean, is this tiny player base that ZoS would end up with going to pump out enough revenue to justify their alienating the larger number of players who would balk at a full-on P2W business model.

Wouldn't ZoS pretty much be cutting its nose off to spite its face, so to speak? It is not like they have a vast playerbase to begin with.
  •  Berbecca
    Berbecca
    ✭✭
    Priority queue is a must.
    Looking at the current benefits I don't see anything worth keeping the subscription for.
    Edited by Berbecca on February 6, 2015 11:36AM
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Smepic wrote: »
    No. You self state that the subscription benefits from the other games are pay to win, why would you want to integrate some of that to eso?

I said "many of the subscriptions below have quite a few Pay-to-Win benefits" summer of what they have is great!

I don't think any of what I've suggested has pay to win mechanics.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rosveen wrote: »

I agree completely, with one exception: I dont care about more character slots because I haven't even used up all 8 yet.

I haven't either. With this list I asked the question "what benefits world entice players but wouldn't give them an unfair advantage?" not "what do I want?"
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Berbecca wrote: »
    Priority queue is a must.
    Looking at the current benefits I don't see anything worth keeping the subscription for.

If ZOS were to include any of the other ideas would you be enticed then?
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

•  Berbecca
    Berbecca
    ✭✭
    Gidorick wrote: »
    If ZOS were to include any of the other ideas would you be enticed then?
    I said priority queue because I think that is something worth paying for. The others are extra. I, for one, didn't buy the imperial edition for the treasure maps.

In fact part of the things on your list I see as a Loyalty program (reset in march - so new comers could also benefit ).
    E.g.
    - 3 month bonus - you get 1 char slot + 10 bank slots + 1 map
    - 6 month bonus - you get 500 crowns (extra) + exclusive vanity pet
    - 9 months - 1 more char slot + all DLCs released until then (permanent access) + something shiny
    - 12 months - 1000 crowns + 1 exclusive mount

• Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I haven't either. With this list I asked the question "what benefits world entice players but wouldn't give them an unfair advantage?" not "what do I want?"
    I know. I don't disagree with the slot idea, I think it's great, actually, but it's not something I personally need.

I also don't want to create additional restrictions for the free players, the reason I was glad ESO would be a sub game in the first place is because I want everyone to have a level playing field. There are MMOs out there with so crippling restrictions F2P is basically a trial, not a proper game. So ZOS has to be careful with balancing sub benefits.

One of your suggestions, guild management, was an instant red flag for me. It's something I never want to see.

Ownership of DLC as Loyalty Bonuses over time: it's the only thing I need to stay subbed. :)

Access to a subscriber-exclusive area of the Crown Store: this one's odd. Without knowing the numbers, I can't say if it's a financially good decision, but generally I think they'd want to reach all players with their crown store (all of it), not just one specific group. And what's stopping people from subbing for a month, buying all sub-restricted items they want and cancelling their sub?

Priority queuing when entering game and zoning: this one should've been a sub benefit from the start, I have no idea why it isn't. Although I hope it only refers to Cyrodiil queues; we never had game login queues and I hope it stays this way. :D

Monthly Subscriber Treasure Map: Everything except soul gems is vendor trash and maybe free blue tempers if it's the equivalent of CE maps. I probably couldn't even be bothered to go looking for them, but sure, why not, couldn't hurt. A nice small thing to sweeten the sub offer.
    Edited by Rosveen on February 6, 2015 2:19PM
  • jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Priority queue? Ive never had a queue when logging into the game. Do you mean pvp queue?
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Priority queue? Ive never had a queue when logging into the game. Do you mean pvp queue?

Nope. I've seen this on dcuo where the server is at max load so you have to"wait in line" to load into the world. In that game subscribers skip to the front of the line to load up.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Nope. I've seen this on dcuo where the server is at max load so you have to"wait in line" to load into the world. In that game subscribers skip to the front of the line to load up.

I think you being very optimistic. I doubt they will have enough players even with this B2P switch to make it so we have to wait to login.
  • Slurg
    Slurg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Props to the OP for trying super hard to find reasons to keep giving ZOS a monthly subscription fee. I will try to keep out negative commentary about why so many people now are so desperate to find logical reasons to keep paying a subscription that they are trying to do the development work for the marketing department for free. Different strokes for different folks and all.

Some of your suggestions, like extra character slots, early DLC access, and crown store discounts for plus members, are good and very much in line with what other games offer. Thanks for providing that comparison.

However, anything that takes away from current functionality in game I would strongly oppose and I would hope others would too:

"Access to Guild Creation and management tools (shouldn’t be allowed for non-subscribers)"

Guilds, like everything else currently in the game, should not be put behind a paywall.

I suspect that at some point ZOS will have to add more benefits to the subscription or risk losing money. But let's not let them think the "community" is asking them to put more game features behind a paywall.
    Happy All the Holidays To You and Yours!
    Remembering better days of less RNG in all the things.
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I know. I don't disagree with the slot idea, I think it's great, actually, but it's not something I personally need.

I also don't want to create additional restrictions for the free players, the reason I was glad ESO would be a sub game in the first place is because I want everyone to have a level playing field. There are MMOs out there with so crippling restrictions F2P is basically a trial, not a proper game. So ZOS has to be careful with balancing sub benefits.

One of your suggestions, guild management, was an instant red flag for me. It's something I never want to see.

Ownership of DLC as Loyalty Bonuses over time: it's the only thing I need to stay subbed. :)

Access to a subscriber-exclusive area of the Crown Store: this one's odd. Without knowing the numbers, I can't say if it's a financially good decision, but generally I think they'd want to reach all players with their crown store (all of it), not just one specific group. And what's stopping people from subbing for a month, buying all sub-restricted items they want and cancelling their sub?

Priority queuing when entering game and zoning: this one should've been a sub benefit from the start, I have no idea why it isn't. Although I hope it only refers to Cyrodiil queues; we never had game login queues and I hope it stays this way. :D

Monthly Subscriber Treasure Map: Everything except soul gems is vendor trash and maybe free blue tempers if it's the equivalent of CE maps. I probably couldn't even be bothered to go looking for them, but sure, why not, couldn't hurt. A nice small thing to sweeten the sub offer.

Thanks for the feedback!

I can see where the guild management could be a sour spot. I was thinking that this would make it so we don't have hundreds of throw away guilds with flaky leadership. A non-subscriber could still join a guild, but they couldn't create one. Perhaps that "protection" should be saved for when ESO goes completely F2P... I mean IF ESO goes F2P. :wink:

The subscriber area of the crown store would start with loyalty rewards and then would have subscriber specific items. Perhaps these items are released to subscribers first then are released to everyone else a few months later. Ideally there would be at least one item added in there per month.

The maps are... well, I love running around hunting treasures. :smirk: the hunt is the reward!

Mostly though they really need to add VALUE to being a subscriber. I WANT to stay a subscriber but I'm having a REALLY hard time justifying it.

That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No pay to win.

Would a Subscriber specific Crown Store section fit this need or are you thinking of more of a monthly pet/item/etc?

I am thinking a perk of subscribing.

If I were them, I would be looking for reasons to get people to subscribe to a game that is being portrayed as Free. This fits in that space.

EDIT... additionally, subscriber loyalty programs are more beneficial when used to reward players who subscribe to a game they do not have to. If, that is, there is a management desire for people to do that. Are you listening @ZOS_PaulSage‌ ?
    Edited by Elsonso on February 6, 2015 3:30PM
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I can see where the guild management could be a sour spot. I was thinking that this would make it so we don't have hundreds of throw away guilds with flaky leadership. A non-subscriber could still join a guild, but they couldn't create one. Perhaps that "protection" should be saved for when ESO goes completely F2P... I mean IF ESO goes F2P. :wink:
    What about becoming an officer, even possibly taking over a guild from an inactive guildmaster? What about current guildmasters who may want to stop subbing from now on and just buy DLC instead? I really don't see this working out.
    The maps are... well, I love running around hunting treasures. :smirk: the hunt is the reward!
    I'm ashamed to admit I don't recognize half the places on those maps. If I find them while adventuring, great, but I'm awful at going back to a zone and looking for a specific location. Especially when it's depicted as a fence and a tree. There are a million fences in Tamriel! :s
  • Audigy
    Audigy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I played MMOs where you had server queues of 1-3 hours, some even had 8 hours.

SWTOR, WOW to name a few. Since F2P is free, much more people will try to log on, so that queues are to be expected.
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What about becoming an officer, even possibly taking over a guild from an inactive guildmaster? What about current guildmasters who may want to stop subbing from now on and just buy DLC instead? I really don't see this working out.

I think only the Guild Leader would have to have a sub. If the guild leader unsubs, guild goes away I guess. It's better than having guilds with absent leaders, which is what we will end up with if guild ownership isn't behind the subscription.

DCUO has this type of subscription benefit, so it's being done. That's where I got the idea from.... so I went to see how THEY do it. Apparently, you only need to be subscribed to CREATE the League. If they unsub, they lose no power. It's like it costs $15 to create a guild.

There COULD be a really awesome vie for power dynamic where if a leader unsubs members have to vote for a new leader from the pool of subbed officers and if no one is chosen within a certain time frame the guild bank and store is opened for pillaging.... but we can't even get a guild calendar. So....
    Edited by Gidorick on February 6, 2015 5:15PM
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• stumpy999
    stumpy999
    ✭✭✭
    none.

You get to play the game
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    There COULD be a really awesome vie for power dynamic where if a leader unsubs members have to vote for a new leader from the pool of subbed officers and if no one is chosen within a certain time frame the guild bank and store is opened for pillaging.... but we can't even get a guild calendar. So....
    This already happens if a guildmaster abandons his or her guild, except it goes through Customer Support and there's no pillaging. :D

• Dazin93
    Dazin93
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dazin93 wrote: »

Fair opinion.

But how small is too small? I mean, is this tiny player base that ZoS would end up with going to pump out enough revenue to justify their alienating the larger number of players who would balk at a full-on P2W business model.

Wouldn't ZoS pretty much be cutting its nose off to spite its face, so to speak? It is not like they have a vast playerbase to begin with.

You could be right. From my perspective, the current (or previous demographic) is obviously not large enough or profitable enough for ZOS to continue in the sub-based model so I think pay to win from a business aspect may make quite a bit of sense.

ZOS can roll out the buy to play and collect as much money as possible then move to the next phase of play to win. Yes, they will alienate some players along the way but no more than they already have. Each phase will potentially open up a new demographic and in the end at least ESO might have some appeal to a niche market.

Right now, ESO has very little going for it in my opinion and if content isn't coming soon that isn't going to change.

In terms of PvE content and depth, other games currently provide a much better MMO experience.
    In terms of PvP, the content is stale and most of the small crowd of true hardcore PvP players will be off to try Albion online, black desert, crowfall, or Camelot unchained when they come out.

ESO has to find something to make it unique and memorable as a MMO, and I think a pay to win model is one easy way to do that.

• Mercutio
    Mercutio
    ✭✭✭✭
    I logged into The Secret World yesterday for the first time in nearly a year. I'm a 'Grandmaster' so I get a lot of stuff free, including an allotment of their version of 'Crowns'.

I discovered some really cool new Subscriber-only items. Among them were a pimpin' fur coat and a mold to change a hammer into a leopard cane.

So instead of playing ESO this weekend I will be in The Secret World getting my inner Huggy Bear on.

For aesthetic [insert noun referring to the world's "oldest profession"] such as myself free shiny's are like crack.
    Edited by Mercutio on February 6, 2015 5:42PM
    The problem with arguing with a jackass is that they never stop braying.
    #DwemerLife
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mercutio wrote: »
    I logged into The Secret World yesterday for the first time in nearly a year. I'm a 'Grandmaster' so I get a lot of stuff free, including an allotment of their version of 'Crowns'.

I discovered some really cool new Subscriber-only items. Among them were a pimpin' fur coat and a mold to change a hammer into a leopard cane.

So instead of playing ESO this weekend I will be in The Secret World getting my inner Huggy Bear on.

For aesthetic [insert noun referring to the world's "oldest profession"] such as myself free shiny's are like crack.

Is Grandmaster when you paid for a lifetime subscription?
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Mercutio
    Mercutio
    ✭✭✭✭

That is correct. Was a good investment imo. TSW character graphics don't fare well compared to ESO, but it is still a superb game.

The problem with arguing with a jackass is that they never stop braying.
    #DwemerLife
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mercutio wrote: »

That is correct. Was a good investment imo. TSW character graphics don't fare well compared to ESO, but it is still a superb game.

Man I wish ESO had offered a lifetime subscription. The fact that they didn't kind of alludes to the fact that they planned on this b2p move from the very beginning.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• bearclawmcbainb16_ESO
    Dear Zenimax.

I am a casual player, like I suspect most MMO players are. I like getting new stories (quests), exploring huge new areas, meeting new creatures and eventually killing them.

Here's the deal:
    -If you make tons of costumes, pets, mounts and other vanity items, then you won't get any money from me. I am not interested in that.
    -If you make tons of new quests, areas and monsters, you will get ALL my money.

As it stands now, subbing is not worth it for me. I am not interested in ANY vanity items, only explorable content, quests and monsters.
    After the B2P announcement, I cancelled my sub. There is no longer any incentive for me to stay subbed, because not only is the loyalty program being removed, but with the expected slowdown in released explorable content, I would be better off saving my money until any DLC is actually put out.

Honestly, I think you might have been better off staying with a fixed subscription. I was paying sub even through the months I couldn't play due to illness. But now my sub is cancelled and my wallet closed until there is new explorable content.
This discussion has been closed.