The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Play-as-Creatures Concept

Gidorick
Gidorick
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Here is one that would make ESO a bit more dynamic:

TL/DR
The core concept is that ZOS should allow players to play creatures to fight against players. This would be more of an “arcade” type implementation than an MMO leveling implementation.

Topics:
  • How players become a creature
  • The mechanics of playing a creature
  • The limitation of playing as a creature
  • The benefits of playing a creature
  • Crown Store integration

How players become a creature
In each Zone, there could be an Alchemist that sells potions that allow players to become beasts. The alchemist selection should reflect the beasts of the zone, so if a player wants to be a specific creature, they must find the alchemist that sells the potion.

This could even extend to a dremora in coldharbor who sells scrolls that can turn you into daedric creatures.

Players should also be able to take their potions and scrolls to different zones so a player could appear as any creature from any zone.

The mechanics of playing a creature
The long and short of it? Player-creatures should be able to attack other players. To do so, players could be allowed the following abilities:
  • Use of a 1-bar set skill set of the creature, including an ultimate. These skills are not changeable and are dependent on the creature the player turns into.
  • Ability to pull other creatures, much in the same way players do so now. However, these mobs will simply follow the player-creature and attack adventurers they come across. The limitations of creature-pulling should remain the same. This means if a player pulls a creature too far from their original station, the creature will return to their post. This would prevent players from pulling all the monsters in a zone to attack players.
  • Able to use all consumables in their inventory that they can use when they are not player-creatures.
When a player transforms into a player-creature, their level should match the basic creature level of a zone. As the player-creature kills adventurers, they gain XP and can level and grow stronger. With each level the player-creature grows and becomes stronger. After enough levels (could be 5 or so) a player becomes a boss that requires multiple players to take them down.

No matter their level, a player-creature should glow purple (or some other new color) to other players, letting players know which creatures are other players and which are just mobs. When looking at the player-creature, players should also see the player's name. Additionally there could be a toggle-able indicator that hovers over the player-creature, similar to alliance indicators.

Once a player-creature dies, that specific creature is gone and the player reconstitutes at the nearest wayshrine.

To become a creature again, the player must use another potion or scroll. When they do so, they will start back at the basic creature level of a zone.

The limitation of playing as a creature
To prevent this from being an over-powered game mechanic, there should be limitations, such as the level limitation mentioned above.
  • Player-creatures should NOT be able to:
    • Harm other creatures
    • Harm other player-creatures
    • Group
    • Trade or interact with other players
    • Interact with NPCs
    • Ride Mounts
  • Player-creatures should be immune to soul-magic (no soulgem use).
  • Player-creatures should be automatically attacked by guards if they enter/transform in a town.
    • note:
      • IF guards ever become kill-able, player creatures should be able to kill guards
      • IF friendly fire is ever added, all applicable rules should be suspended

The benefits of playing a creature
    Aside from the general enjoyment of killing adventurers, why would a player want to become a player-creature? When a player becomes a player-creature the following benefits should be available:
    • XP earned is applied toward their level and allows advancement and/or CP gain. Players should receive the XP after they are resurrected at the nearest wayshrine.
    • Gold. Players should earn gold from killing adventurers. This should NOT remove any gold from the player’s possession.
    • Non-equipped and un-bound weapons and armor (ONLY... no mats, no motifs) should have a slight chance of being dropped from the player when they are killed. This is one of the rewards of being a player-creature. This SHOULD remove the item from the player’s inventory.

Crown Store integration
    As with any mechanic, there needs to be a way for ZOS to make money. There are a few options of how this could be accomplished.
    • A one-time pack that gives players access to the potion merchants. This could be an invitation of some sort that players show to the merchant. Otherwise the alchemist simply says he has nothing for you.
    • Creature-Soulgems that will allow player-creatures to resurrect themselves.
    • Crown Store specific creature potions and scrolls.

In the End
    This would add a really interesting gameplay mechanic to ESO and players could take it upon themselves to create more dynamic zones within ESO. There’s no AI like actual intelligence. :wink:

So, what do you think? Would you like to play a creature? Are there additional mechanics you think would work for this concept? Should there be more benefits?
Edited by Gidorick on October 13, 2015 6:40AM
What ESO really needs is an Auction Horse.
That's right... Horse.
Click HERE to discuss.

Want more crazy ideas? Check out my Concept Repository!
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This would be pretty cool :) So just to be clear, the skill bar that you're suggesting would be set based on the type of creature, and you wouldn't be able to slot any class/weapon/guild/etc abilities, right?

Oh, and also I think it would be important for other players to be able to tell at a glance that this creature is actually a player rather than a standard mob.
    Edited by UrQuan on October 10, 2015 9:27PM
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i would love to be able to play as a monster in eso, i like the idea.
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    UrQuan wrote: »
    This would be pretty cool :) So just to be clear, the skill bar that you're suggesting would be set based on the type of creature, and you wouldn't be able to slot any class/weapon/guild/etc abilities, right?

Oh, and also I think it would be important for other players to be able to tell at a glance that this creature is actually a player rather than a standard mob.

Right @UrQuan! It would be the creature's skills. Not something you could slot. I'll make that clear.

Also, the aura around the player-creature should be white and not yellow or red. I didn't consider that since I turn those damned things off.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gidorick wrote: »

Right @UrQuan! It would be the creature's skills. Not something you could slot. I'll make that clear.

Also, the aura around the player-creature should be white and not yellow or red. I didn't consider that since I turn those damned things off.
    I'm thinking it would also be handy to have some kind of indicator above their heads, like how in Cyrodiil when you see an enemy player you see their alliance's shield above their head.
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm thinking it would also be handy to have some kind of indicator above their heads, like how in Cyrodiil when you see an enemy player you see their alliance's shield above their head.

An alliance indicator? That might work as well. As long as players like myself can turn it off. :wink:
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

An alliance indicator? That might work as well. As long as players like myself can turn it off. :wink:
    Well yeah, any UI elements should always have the option to turn them off IMO.
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
  • Glaiceana
    Glaiceana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This does sound like a fun mechanic! As I was reading the start I immediately thought that it could be like playing as a boss, and then I read on to see you saying just that :)

My only worry though is this:
    [*] Non-equipped weapons and armor should have a slight chance of being dropped from the player when they are killed. This is one of the rewards of being a player-creature. This SHOULD remove the item from the player’s inventory.
    [/list]

So basically you are allowing items to be taken? I understand that if this was added, most adventurers would know that the risk of fighting a player-creature is that they will not only be more difficult, but also can steal one of their items. But I can just imagine the cry-babies complaining that people are spamming the player-creature ability and stealing their gold items...

How would this sort of thing be dealt with? (Other than just giving the common sense advice of not carrying important items that you don't have equipped :P )
    Priests of Hircine
    Werewolves who bite for FREE! PC/EU
    Our total free bites: 7000+
    Guild Subreddit | Forum Thread | YouTube Playlist
    Total Champion Points: 1000+
    Main Character: Ithaera - Stam DK, Nord, Female, DD, Werewolf.
    Rothelnog - Stam NB, Orc, Male, DD, Werewolf.
    J'Xena - Mag DK, Khajiit, Female, DD, Werewolf.
    Dances-With-Frost-Dragons - DK, Argonian, Male, Tank, Werewolf.
    Raziel The Paradox - Mag TP, Dark Elf, Male, DD, Vampire.
    Swims-Through-Starlight - TP, Argonian, Female, Healer, Werewolf.
    Glaicean Mag Ward, High Elf, Male, Ice DD, Werewolf.
    Hjurne Hircine's Forsaken - Sorc, Redguard, Male, PvP DD, Werewolf.
    My Total Free Werewolf Bites: 400+ (Ask me about bites if you need one!)
    Playing since July 2015!
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like, imagine if you could turn into a Werewolf and fight other Werewolves in PVP. Oh. My. God. Please make that happen
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yea @Glaiceana, I agree that the item drop concept might be... an issue. But there should be some incentive to play the mechanic beyond XP and gold.... something else should drop. Random equipment like a mob?

Or do you think just the mechanic is incentive enough?
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alucardo wrote: »
    Like, imagine if you could turn into a Werewolf and fight other Werewolves in PVP. Oh. My. God. Please make that happen

oh yea. You could go to Glenumbra, pull werewolves there... and battle against werewolf players.

hehehe. :naughty:
    Edited by Gidorick on October 10, 2015 10:30PM
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Glaiceana
    Glaiceana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    yea @Glaiceana, I agree that the item drop concept might be... an issue. But there should be some incentive to play the mechanic beyond XP and gold.... something else should drop. Random equipment like a mob?

Perhaps a random drop that is not part of the player's inventory would be better. As well as some gold, but again, not from the player's inventory. This is the only way I can see that would stop people complaining about it.
    Priests of Hircine
    Playing since July 2015!
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glaiceana wrote: »

Perhaps a random drop that is not part of the player's inventory would be better. As well as some gold, but again, not from the player's inventory. This is the only way I can see that would stop people complaining about it.

You know, I considered that but thought the idea of a player dropping something they don't own would be kind of weird.

Of course, it's not like you would KNOW what the player had in their inventory... hmm... I think you may be right. treat the drops just like mob drops.

I'm the kind of player that would like it if we had to get back to our corpses to retrieve our items... so I kind of like these kinds of mechanics. :smile:
    Edited by Gidorick on October 10, 2015 10:34PM
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Glaiceana
    Glaiceana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Gidorick I understand that it would make more sense for it to be an item from their inventory, I think it would be pretty cool! People shouldn't be running around with important stuff that they actually want anyway. Mostly people will be carrying things they have been looting along their journey anyway. So you would likely just get a normal sort of weapon or armour piece that they themselves picked up from a mob or chest.

So yes, personally I wouldn't mind it being an item taken from me if I died from a player-creature. As long as it wasn't something like a motif I was about to use :)

But all I'm thinking of is people who would complain about this mechanic. Saying that all kinds of things are being stolen from them. Unfortunately, you can't please everyone.
    Priests of Hircine
    Playing since July 2015!
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You know, I considered that but thought the idea of a player dropping something they don't own would be kind of weird.

Of course, it's not like you would KNOW what the player had in their inventory... hmm... I think you may be right. treat the drops just like mob drops.

I'm the kind of player that would like it if we had to get back to our corpses to retrieve our items... so I kind of like these kinds of mechanics. :smile:
    OR have it be a random chance to get a drop from the player's inventory, but it doesn't actually take that item away from the player killed.

Wait, that would totally get abused by people slaughtering each other over and over to duplicate rare items wouldn't it? OK, forget that idea...
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
  • Shimmer
    Shimmer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can I be a goat?
    YouTube | Twitter | Twitch | The Differently Geared

Mistakes must be carelessly planned.
  • Glaiceana
    Glaiceana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @UrQuan Yeah I also thought for a moment about a duplication, but yep it would be abused. Now you know what its like for the devs when trying to come up with new ideas and keep them balanced :D
    Priests of Hircine
    Playing since July 2015!
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sylance9 wrote: »
    Can I be a goat?
    Are you trying to get @MissBizz to adopt you as a pet? :D
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

oh yea. You could go to Glenumbra, pull werewolves there... and battle against werewolf players.

hehehe. :naughty:

Just pulling your leg. 30 seconds of being a Werewolf is hardly as exciting xD
    It is a pretty interesting idea, as all of Gidorick's are. Certainly doesn't skimp on the details!
    This is a really good alternative to the lack of polymorphs available. Who doesn't like transforming into something else? Would make the low level pve stuff more alive instead of people running around like robots, and would give you something else to do other than the boring questing or grind you're stuck with
  • Shimmer
    Shimmer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can I be a goat?
    Are you trying to get @MissBizz to adopt you as a pet? :D

I think we are just both very passionate about the right to own a goat! GOAT PRIDE!
    YouTube | Twitter | Twitch | The Differently Geared

Mistakes must be carelessly planned.
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I think we are just both very passionate about the right to own a goat! GOAT PRIDE!
    I'm downright disgusted at the lack of goat pets. Like seriously, lizards?? How did that ever take priority over a goat. smh
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    White aura is for "civilians", as in "don't attack, or it'll be murder". How about a purple aura instead?

Yeah, the chance of loosing something from your inventory will have many people up in arms about this.
    Might be better if its restricted to unbound stuff - that way, your PvP armor is safe, since you bound it to you by wearing it in PvP, but the amulet that you picked up a while earlier isn't, since its still unbound, and your potion stack or other consumables are always on the menue (though you wouldn't loose the whole stack, just one potion from it), since those are never ever bound...

Other then those details, it sounds like an interesting idea...
  • Glaiceana
    Glaiceana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @TheShadowScout Purple aura would be good, I agree!
    Priests of Hircine
    Playing since July 2015!
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alucardo wrote: »

I'm downright disgusted at the lack of goat pets. Like seriously, lizards?? How did that ever take priority over a goat. smh

@Alucardo I think you should see the newest update on this post...
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/2333451/#Comment_2333451
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    White aura is for "civilians", as in "don't attack, or it'll be murder". How about a purple aura instead?

Yeah, the chance of loosing something from your inventory will have many people up in arms about this.
    Might be better if its restricted to unbound stuff - that way, your PvP armor is safe, since you bound it to you by wearing it in PvP, but the amulet that you picked up a while earlier isn't, since its still unbound, and your potion stack or other consumables are always on the menue (though you wouldn't loose the whole stack, just one potion from it), since those are never ever bound...

Other then those details, it sounds like an interesting idea...

Good points @TheShadowScout. Is purple aura currently used? I don't use auras so I don't know what glow colors there are...

And I 100% agree with the unbound stuff. I kind of thought that was a "without saying" kind of thing and didn't even consider putting it in the notes. Good note though. I'll add it to the OP. :wink:
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• nimander99
    nimander99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    LotRO?
    I AM UPDATING MY PRIVACY POLICY

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

∽∽∽ 2 years of Elder Scrolls Online ∼∼∼
    "Give us money" = Box sales & monthly sub fees,
    "moar!" = £10 palomino horse,
    "MOAR!" = Switch to B2P, launch cash shop,
    "MOAR!!" = Charge for DLC that subs had already paid for,
    "MOAR!!!" = Experience scrolls and riding lessons,
    "MOARR!!!" = Vampire/werewolf bites,
    "MOAARRR!!!" = CS exclusive motifs,
    "MOOAARRR!!!" = Crown crates,
    "MOOOAAARRR!!!" = 'Chapter's' bought separately from ESO+,
    "MOOOOAAAARRRR!!!!" = ???

Male, Dunmer, VR16, Templar, Aldmeri Dominion, Master Crafter & all Traits, CP450
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MissBizz wrote: »

OH MY GOD. How the hell did I miss that. Thanks!
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

OR have it be a random chance to get a drop from the player's inventory, but it doesn't actually take that item away from the player killed.

Wait, that would totally get abused by people slaughtering each other over and over to duplicate rare items wouldn't it? OK, forget that idea...

THIS was my initial idea... but duplication would be abused. as you previously mentioned.

I think if unbound, unequipped armor and weapons were the only thing that dropped people would get used to it. :smirk:
    Edited by Gidorick on October 10, 2015 11:56PM
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    nimander99 wrote: »
    LotRO?

Did LOTRO have something like this @nimander99?
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• nimander99
    nimander99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    nimander99 wrote: »
    LotRO?

Did LOTRO have something like this @nimander99?

Yeah, Monster Play... I honestly thought that was where you were drawing your inspiration from :)
    I AM UPDATING MY PRIVACY POLICY

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

∽∽∽ 2 years of Elder Scrolls Online ∼∼∼
    "Give us money" = Box sales & monthly sub fees,
    "moar!" = £10 palomino horse,
    "MOAR!" = Switch to B2P, launch cash shop,
    "MOAR!!" = Charge for DLC that subs had already paid for,
    "MOAR!!!" = Experience scrolls and riding lessons,
    "MOARR!!!" = Vampire/werewolf bites,
    "MOAARRR!!!" = CS exclusive motifs,
    "MOOAARRR!!!" = Crown crates,
    "MOOOAAARRR!!!" = 'Chapter's' bought separately from ESO+,
    "MOOOOAAAARRRR!!!!" = ???

Male, Dunmer, VR16, Templar, Aldmeri Dominion, Master Crafter & all Traits, CP450
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aura colors currently used are red (enemy, will attack you), yellow (attackable but non-agressive), and white (civilian, can be attacked & pickpocketed, but it'd be unlawful).

Blue and Green are not in use IIRC, but usually reserved for "ally" or "harmless" usage in cultural context, so suboptimal for creature players.
    Orange is free too, though might be hard to tall from red/yellow sometimes. Might be possible though.
    Purple/magenta is distinct enough... reddish enough to serve as warning sign... sounds like the best choice to me...

Of course, player creatures could be done without aura too, or simply stay at red. Though the easy distinction from "NPC critters" may be a good thing...