The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Response to the Veteran Hard Mode Asylum Sanctorium Trial Exploit - Nov. 10

• Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    itzTJ wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQDm5rGhqaI&t=431s

I really think you guys should reconsider perma bans for 1st time offenders. I mean put yourself in these peoples position, you are doing a trial and stumble on a way to just kill the bosses without dying.. YES this is wrong, YES this is stupid, but malicious? I dont think so..

These guys made a stupid decision, yes i get that. But for you to ban a 1st time offender for an IN GAME EXPLOIT, not even cheat engine or an outside program, is just terrible. I mean they stumbled onto it in game. Obviously they should have reported it and not done the trial but they didnt, yes it was wrong, but a perma ban is so harsh! I Know you guys want to make a statement because of the community mob that is upset, but you should take your stand against outside program hacks and cheats!! Not 1st time offenders using an exploit they stumbled onto a COUPLE days after the update..

Idk, i linked the video above from fengrush because this is a similar situation.. @ZOS_JessicaFolsom you guys, in the past, have unbanned people for using outside cheats on PC.. But yet you say you will NOT look at an appeal for these guys on console? Why? Idk i just think if you guys try to put yourself in these peoples situation you will see that they were NOT malicious like people who have used cheats and been unbanned... Yes they were stupid, but not malicious. You guys are to quick to throw around perma bans because people are upset.. You could give them a 1 month ban and strip their stuff from the trial... You could make it so they could never get the skin or weapons again.. Hell, you could perma ban the character they were on, with all there trial gear, and give them a 1 month account ban.. These are things that you could do instead of PERMA BANNING 1st time offenders.. People spend thousands of hours and dollars on this game i just think the least you can do is give them 1 strike and their out..

People should watch that video, its a very similar situation.. Idk, i guess i just feel bad for these people because everyone makes stupid mistakes.. These guys didnt get an outside program to cheat at the game, they found a glitch and made a stupid call to not report it but a perma ban is to harsh, with no appeal, especially considering the past.. Also, this is scary to me because there have been exploits in the past, like keep jumping, that were very vague if it was an exploit.. The fact that they perma ban for exploits means that anyone could get caught up in an "exploit" one day and be perma banned..

We hear you, @itzTJ, and we didn't make this decision lightly. This particular exploit and the repercussions were particularly severe (unlocking an extremely difficult-to-get achievement and reward.) We also recognize that we have gone too easy on cheaters/exploiters in the past. (But not bots - bots get nuked on the first offense.) We're taking a stance to crack down harder, especially when the exploit is as deliberate and severe as this one was.

This is great but please look at the PVP side too. Things like MIAT seem way worst then this exploit in my book. It takes API information to make one player get strong advantage on other players.

I know this is controversial but it shouldn't be allowed.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Taysa wrote: »
    The reports I personally send in simply don't say "This guy is cheating." There is explicit detail and more than once I've had to tell my guild "brb reporting this guy" so I can type out an explicitly detailed report. And others in my guild have done the same. It's so incredibly easy to decipher who is sending a legit report and who is just salty. But honestly I should just write "This guy is cheating" and leave it at that because the 20+ minutes I've spent detailing a post amounts to the same result as someone who writes a 4 word sentence: Absolutely nothing because there is no video evidence.

Unless they are doing something extraordinarily special, like running against a wall or rock, my reports are little more in substance than "This guy is cheating." Often, my reports are largely copy-paste, since I am often reporting several accounts. I can try to make them unique, but there isn't much in the way of unique to say about 11 bots all running the same pattern.

I used to detail exactly why I thought they were a bot, and I can still do that, but most of the bots that I report are running the same scripted pattern that have been used at that location for months. If ZOS is not aware of this pattern, I would be really surprised.

I never send video. I rarely send pictures.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • eso_lags
    eso_lags
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Permanent bans should really be saved for repeat offenders, botters, and cheaters in PvP when it comes to gameplay exploits.

While I still feel you guys should have been a bit more lenient, I am still extremely glad for your continued efforts to address ongoing exploiting issues and increased transparency on the matter.

@HatchetHaro Yes i agree 100%
  • eso_lags
    eso_lags
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Morgul667 when it comes down to it there are a lot of things that go on in this game and get reported but dont end up in a perma ban.. Also situations where people have gotten banned for CHEAT programs and been unbanned.. They said they are cracking down but i just think there could have been a better way to take a stand, maybe when the next cheat engine thing comes around or just taking a stand against it in general.
  • Dolgubon
    Dolgubon
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morgul667 wrote: »

I really think you guys should reconsider perma bans for 1st time offenders. I mean put yourself in these peoples position, you are doing a trial and stumble on a way to just kill the bosses without dying.. YES this is wrong, YES this is stupid, but malicious? I dont think so..

These guys made a stupid decision, yes i get that. But for you to ban a 1st time offender for an IN GAME EXPLOIT, not even cheat engine or an outside program, is just terrible. I mean they stumbled onto it in game. Obviously they should have reported it and not done the trial but they didnt, yes it was wrong, but a perma ban is so harsh! I Know you guys want to make a statement because of the community mob that is upset, but you should take your stand against outside program hacks and cheats!! Not 1st time offenders using an exploit they stumbled onto a COUPLE days after the update..

Idk, i linked the video above from fengrush because this is a similar situation.. @ZOS_JessicaFolsom you guys, in the past, have unbanned people for using outside cheats on PC.. But yet you say you will NOT look at an appeal for these guys on console? Why? Idk i just think if you guys try to put yourself in these peoples situation you will see that they were NOT malicious like people who have used cheats and been unbanned... Yes they were stupid, but not malicious. You guys are to quick to throw around perma bans because people are upset.. You could give them a 1 month ban and strip their stuff from the trial... You could make it so they could never get the skin or weapons again.. Hell, you could perma ban the character they were on, with all there trial gear, and give them a 1 month account ban.. These are things that you could do instead of PERMA BANNING 1st time offenders.. People spend thousands of hours and dollars on this game i just think the least you can do is give them 1 strike and their out..

People should watch that video, its a very similar situation.. Idk, i guess i just feel bad for these people because everyone makes stupid mistakes.. These guys didnt get an outside program to cheat at the game, they found a glitch and made a stupid call to not report it but a perma ban is to harsh, with no appeal, especially considering the past.. Also, this is scary to me because there have been exploits in the past, like keep jumping, that were very vague if it was an exploit.. The fact that they perma ban for exploits means that anyone could get caught up in an "exploit" one day and be perma banned..

We hear you, @itzTJ, and we didn't make this decision lightly. This particular exploit and the repercussions were particularly severe (unlocking an extremely difficult-to-get achievement and reward.) We also recognize that we have gone too easy on cheaters/exploiters in the past. (But not bots - bots get nuked on the first offense.) We're taking a stance to crack down harder, especially when the exploit is as deliberate and severe as this one was.

This is great but please look at the PVP side too. Things like MIAT seem way worst then this exploit in my book. It takes API information to make one player get strong advantage on other players.

I know this is controversial but it shouldn't be allowed.

Miat's is not against the TOS, since it uses the API which ZOS makes available. They can, however, restrict the API in any way they want at any time.

I'll also mention that I think that addons are, for the purposes of the TOS, considered part of the services provided by ZOS.

They have said that they'll be changing some addon things next patch, to prevent stuff they aren't quite comfortable with. Whether that will be all, most, or just a few features though, we don't know.
    Relthion: CP810 DK Tank - vMOL HM, vHOF HM, vAS HM, vCR +2
    Malorson: CP810 Mag Sorc - vMOL HM, vHOF, vAS HM

Addons:
    Dolgubon's Lazy Writ Crafter
    Dolgubon's Lazy Set Crafter
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mureel wrote: »
    Have you ever considered that perhaps so many PVPers report other players over salt that GMs have so much trash to go through it makes getting to actual cheating harder? I sure have.
    This is what I keep saying.
    We literally have threads on these forums where PvP players post about the lolz they get when people whisper them saying "reported for hacking!" but when that's bought up it's apparently only real hackers which are reported and ZOS not doing anything.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • InvitationNotFound
    InvitationNotFound
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi everyone,

We checked in with our Support team this morning and got confirmation that we have not overturned any of the bans we issued for this exploit. All of the accounts we banned for exploiting this bug are still banned, and we intend to keep it that way. The individuals who took advantage of this exploit had to do some very specific, deliberate things to make the bug happen, then spend time very slowly working down the boss from where he could not attack them. It was not a situation where someone accidentally stumbled upon a bug and used it without knowing what they were doing.

Now, it is possible that some of the banned individuals purchased the game again and returned to the game on a brand new account. That is permitted. They are not blacklisted from the game for all time - they just lost the accounts on which they abused this exploit.

Oh well, that's a joke. Is this your general behavior? create an account for exploiting and once it get banned play on your regular or new account? According to the ToS i believe you can and will ban any and all accounts of an offender, or am i wrong here? hard to take you guys serious anymore...
    We want firing off Dark Exchange in the middle of combat to feel awesome... - The Wrobler
    You know you don't have to be here right? - Rich Lambert
    Verrätst du mir deinen Beruf? Ich würde auch gerne mal Annahmen dazu schreiben, wie simple die Aufgaben anderer sind. - Kai Schober

Addons:
    RdK Group Tool: esoui DE EN FR
    Port to Friend's House: esoui DE EN FR - Library: DE EN
    Yet another Compass: esoui DE EN FR
    Group Buffs: esoui DE EN FR
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi everyone,

We checked in with our Support team this morning and got confirmation that we have not overturned any of the bans we issued for this exploit. All of the accounts we banned for exploiting this bug are still banned, and we intend to keep it that way. The individuals who took advantage of this exploit had to do some very specific, deliberate things to make the bug happen, then spend time very slowly working down the boss from where he could not attack them. It was not a situation where someone accidentally stumbled upon a bug and used it without knowing what they were doing.

Now, it is possible that some of the banned individuals purchased the game again and returned to the game on a brand new account. That is permitted. They are not blacklisted from the game for all time - they just lost the accounts on which they abused this exploit.

Oh well, that's a joke. Is this your general behavior? create an account for exploiting and once it get banned play on your regular or new account? According to the ToS i believe you can and will ban any and all accounts of an offender, or am i wrong here? hard to take you guys serious anymore...
    Generally with MMO companies when they hand out bans they'll ban alt accounts after an investigation. I would assume ZOS is no different.

What Jess is saying is that their accounts were banned, some may go on to buy new accounts and return to the game as a fresh start. We don't know how many of those accounts were main/alt accounts.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Runs
    Runs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'm kind of curious about the 51 extra accounts that were banned. I mean news flies pretty fast. They should have known about the perm bans. I wonder if any of those accounts were second or third accounts, just trying it over and over for easy chances to get the runebox drop to then mail to the main accounts.
    Runs| Orc NightbladeChim-el Adabal| Dunmer TemplarM'air the Honest| Khajiit Templar
    Oddity| Altmer SorcerorDrizlo| Orc DragonKnightLady Ra Gada| Redguard Sorceror
    Taste-of-Hist-Sap| Argonian NightbladeWar'den Peace| Khajiit WardenLittle Warden Annie Altmer Warden
    Ports with Blood| Breton TemplarDirty-Old-Man| Dunmer DragonKnightEyes-of-the-Sun| Argonian DragonKnight
    Bleak Mystique| Nord WardenPolychronopolous| Imperial SorcerorBullcrit| Khajiit Nightblade
    PC NA CP 1250+ and still a noob
    At Writs End - A place to complete master writs
  • Zaldan
    Zaldan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    #10millionstories +85, nice ZO$ lol
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.
    Niidro tiid wah fusvok dirkah.

aka.@Cuthceol
  • rhapsodious
    rhapsodious
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The reports I personally send in simply don't say "This guy is cheating." There is explicit detail and more than once I've had to tell my guild "brb reporting this guy" so I can type out an explicitly detailed report. And others in my guild have done the same. It's so incredibly easy to decipher who is sending a legit report and who is just salty. But honestly I should just write "This guy is cheating" and leave it at that because the 20+ minutes I've spent detailing a post amounts to the same result as someone who writes a 4 word sentence: Absolutely nothing because there is no video evidence.

"Send us a video" isn't good enough. A lot of players simply don't have the processing power to run video recording software while playing the game. Why should their reports get automatically trashed? No where in the system requirements does it say "You need to be able to run video recording software while you play because we're too lazy to do our jobs correctly."

[...]

Yes, it is an absolute pain to be at the mercy of recording software and waste gigabytes of space on my harddrive. And for what purpose? To make ZoS's job easier? I already pay a subscription and I already buy crowns, and I'm not the only one. Maybe they need to use some of that money to fix the servers once and for all so Cyrodiil isn't an unplayable lag fest during prime time, loading screens aren't a problem, and train GMs to do more than send canned email responses.

If it wasn't obvious from my initial post, I was agreeing with you, in that there's only so much you can expect from players. Apologies if that wasn't clear. Not to insinuate that every report is just someone being salty.

I don't think they trash the reports, it's just more like... if they get a "this guy is cheating" ticket, and a "this guy is cheating and I have video proof" ticket, one is easier to investigate. Simple convenience from their point of view.

• Reinhard72
    Reinhard72
    ✭✭✭
    633645003725135464.jpg

The Pic is good when all the bots get banned.

And wow 34 Account.....what a bann.
    There I found more bots in Rivenspire.....
    Edited by Reinhard72 on November 14, 2017 8:01PM
  • ManwithBeard9
    ManwithBeard9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Reinhard72 wrote: »
    633645003725135464.jpg

The Pic is good when all the bots get banned.

And wow 34 Account.....what a bann.
    There I found more bots in Rivenspire.....

Banning bots is easy, creating systems to prevent bots in the first place is what needs to happen. Also, theyd want to trace bot accounts to login/activation IPs to track them to identify patterns to keep people from even starting a bot account.
  • jroc699_burr
    jroc699_burr
    ✭✭
    PERMA BAN is harsh when you dont perma ban the cyrodil cheaters take away there achievements
    if you brought out a game with exploits fix it and unban and take the achievements away !
  • Dolgubon
    Dolgubon
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi everyone,

And how could they know? At least on PC, if a player is determined, they can completely cover their tracks and zos will be unable to tell that it is the same person. Or would you rather they assume you are an alt account of a banned player?
    Relthion: CP810 DK Tank - vMOL HM, vHOF HM, vAS HM, vCR +2
    Malorson: CP810 Mag Sorc - vMOL HM, vHOF, vAS HM

Addons:
    Dolgubon's Lazy Writ Crafter
    Dolgubon's Lazy Set Crafter
  • MJallday
    MJallday
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So what you're saying is I have to run my recording software 24/7 in the unstable lagfest that's currently PvP (that you guys refuse to fix for whatever reason and it keeps getting worse) just in case I happen to run into said exploiters, then upload said video to my video editing software, spend the time to cut the video, convert the video, upload the video, process the video and send you guys the link before you take my reports seriously?

I have to jump through a thousand hoops when you can easily just send a GM to shadow the person that's being reported, watch them for a few minutes, and draw your own conclusions?

Really? That's your solution?

No wonder cheaters never get banned. (Unless, of course, they're exploiting an ACHIEVEMENT.)

or you could just say "hey cortana, record that"....
  • MJallday
    MJallday
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi everyone,

how on this planet do you propose you'd trace them then?

• Motherball
    Motherball
    ✭✭✭✭
    Might want to fix the exploit before you ban people next time, because this just makes everyone at the company look spiteful and inept, imo.

“Hey guys, there is an exploit in the game, and this is exactly how it works, but dont do it because even though we havent figured out how to fix it, we will be watching you.”
    Edited by Motherball on November 15, 2017 4:57PM
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Motherball wrote: »
    Might want to fix the exploit before you ban people next time, because this just makes everyone at the company look spiteful and inept, imo.

“Hey guys, there is an exploit in the game, and this is exactly how it works, but dont do it because even though we havent figured out how to fix it, we will be watching you.”

They never told anyone how to do it, its against their terms of service to distribute information about how to exploit things, the people that were banned however did also violate that part of the terms by telling and showing others how to do it.
  • ethr
    ethr
    ✭✭
    way too harsh - your bugs bethesda - you should take the fall
  • Kozato
    Kozato
    ✭✭✭
    lynog85 wrote: »
    Smaxx wrote: »
    lynog85 wrote: »
    Perma bans way too harsh imo. Zos are releasing unfinished content with these exploits only being possible because of THEM. I hope all accounts who done this get it overturned.

Nope. Considering this is clearly something that's beyond broken and nothing you can "complete" by accident. If you fight a boss and he misses a few hits, fine. But just clearing an encounter without the boss ever being able to hit you sounds like just too much.

Its not cheat engine. Its broken because the developers are lazy and rush out incomplete content. It shouldnt even be possible to do these things.

That's foolish, your arguments i've seen throughout this thread so far from you. your stance is that since ZoS Haven't patched a bug they are abusing, it's fair game. Please don't mislead people into this mentality of believing it is okay.

The agreement upon buying an account means any exploit in the game not yet patched by ZoS that you use will get you a punishment that they think is required. You sound like someone who tries to cheat and creates their own loopholes to say you're "technically not cheating". You are a cheater for abusing bugs. Stop trying to dress it up and working around it. You are to follow the rules like all of us.
  • Buffler
    Buffler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I posted this elsewhere but its got lost so i'll repost in here.

Perma bans? I thought a perma ban meant permanent???? I must be missing something as one of the guys off xbox eu who was perma banned was in clockwork city last night...on his "perma banned" account. As predicted, perma actually meant 3 days.

Ps) im actually glad as permanently banning people for this when far worse has gone on and goes on was OTT.
    Edited by Buffler on November 15, 2017 9:41PM
  • Kozato
    Kozato
    ✭✭✭

you call it:
    EXPLOIT
    ACTIONS AGAINST THE TERMS

But normally you must call it gameplay, because these guys use ONLY game opportunities and nothing else.

They weren't just using game opportunities, they were exploiting - and selling runs, profiting from doing multiple runs to gain others the achieve & skins.

You wrong.

An exploit (from the English verb to exploit, meaning "to use something to one’s own advantage") is a piece of software, a chunk of data, or a sequence of commands that takes advantage of a bug or vulnerability to cause unintended or unanticipated behavior to occur on computer software, hardware, or something electronic (usually computerized). Such behavior frequently includes things like gaining control of a computer system, allowing privilege escalation, or a denial-of-service (DoS or related DDoS) attack. from wiki

It was not exploit, they didn't use any program, don't change game code or files. Players just use game facilities and got banned.

Selling runs for game currency is also allowed.

Exploiting errors in game content to your advantage is not allowed. It states so. Could you and a few others stop being the bad apples and trying to work around the Terms of service? Stop spewing misinformation for everyone to see because it will eventually attract more people with your mentality and think it is okay to work around it. ZoS have decided that it was worth a ban. You don't get to object. Players such as yourself are the issue at hand which they are trying to put and end to.
  • Karivaa
    Karivaa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please let them come back. Nobody has banned anybody over anything other than this.
  • Karivaa
    Karivaa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I heard alcast used a mod on pc to complete it. On Xbox we have no mods.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi everyone,

We checked in with our Support team this morning and got confirmation that we have not overturned any of the bans we issued for this exploit. All of the accounts we banned for exploiting this bug are still banned, and we intend to keep it that way.

@ZOS_JessicaFolsom, I am hearing that one person has been unbanned, but it is not clear to me if they were actually banned in the first place (vs suspended). If you check with the Support team on Thursday morning, will they still tell you that they have not overturned any bans that were issued for this exploit, and that they still intend to keep it that way?
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • BlazingDynamo
    BlazingDynamo
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you guys look into gold selling accounts? I have reported them in the past would love to know if I was wasting my time or not. Gold farmers are pretty easy to pick out. Lvl 4 named ggggjjjkk running around with rapid maneuver taking every node
  • AzraelKrieg
    AzraelKrieg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Do you guys look into gold selling accounts? I have reported them in the past would love to know if I was wasting my time or not. Gold farmers are pretty easy to pick out. Lvl 4 named ggggjjjkk running around with rapid maneuver taking every node

There is no way a level 4 would be using Rapid Maneuvers since you need to be level 10 to get into Cyrodiil
    Gold Dragons Guildmaster PC-NACR2000+
    Kalthar Wolf-Brother – EP Templar - 50 Maeli Valen - EP NB - 50Naps-During-Trials – EP Templar - 50Rulnakh - EP Sorc - 50Azrael Krieg - EP NB – 50Uvithasa Telvanni – EP DK – 50More-Tail - EP Warden - 50Narile Galen - EP Sorc - 50Bone Soldier - EP Necro - 50Naps-During-Trails - EP Necro - 50
  • Cubagaming
    Cubagaming
    ✭✭
    This is another example of zos choosing when to ban someone instead of the actual problems that lie in the game. Good job zos! Good job!
  • BlazingDynamo
    BlazingDynamo
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There is no way a level 4 would be using Rapid Maneuvers since you need to be level 10 to get into Cyrodiil

Lvl 4, 7, 11 you get my point. That's what they do. Nobody makes an account called xxzzkjdd and farms nodes all day not with the intentions of selling gold