The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

How to use EHT well, even as a beginner

• Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    R_K wrote: »
    Sorry, just checking in now again on this thread and it seems that I missed out on helping - but thank you so much @StabbityDoom for helping @ErinM31 - and Erin, I am super happy that you both were able to get your EHT up and running! :)

...and yes, Item Locking is pretty awesome. Oddly, I never hear many people mention it. Come to think of it... I hope that people know it’s there at all...

(Insert The Thinker statue here)

Now, please go forth and build epic things (and stuff). ;)

Thank you so much for making this amazing add-on! :smiley: First thing I did was start touring and now I’m working on familiarizing myself with the tools and experimenting and definitely appreciate the ability to make incremental changes to an item’s location to get it placed right where I want it. :)

Now I need to ask, what does locking do? I had assumed that it would make the selected furnishing unselectable until I locked, but that does not seem to be the case with the carpets I tried locking, so I think I must misunderstand the function.
    Edited by Araneae6537 on October 7, 2019 3:26PM
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Chryseia Brilliant! Thank you so much for the detailed explanation! :love: Much I think is analogous to setting levels and contrast curves in Photoshop (or at least is how I’m understanding it). Thank you so much for taking the time to explain everything and pointing me to the tools to best use. :) Once I get it set up, I will screenshots with and without FX and what I did in case it might be helpful to anyone else.
  • bayushi2005
    bayushi2005
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ErinM31 wrote: »
    Sorry, just checking in now again on this thread and it seems that I missed out on helping - but thank you so much @StabbityDoom for helping @ErinM31 - and Erin, I am super happy that you both were able to get your EHT up and running! :)

...and yes, Item Locking is pretty awesome. Oddly, I never hear many people mention it. Come to think of it... I hope that people know it’s there at all...

Now I need to ask, what does locking do? I had assumed that it would make the selected furnishing unselectable until I locked, but that does not seem to be the case with the carpets I tried locking, so I think I just misunderstand the function.

@ErinM31 Locking prevents moving the item until you unlock it again. (Mind not to lock items which are part of animations - they won't work) If EHT would prevent selecting the item again, it would also prevent you from unlocking it, therefore you wouldn't be able to do anything with the item as long as EHT is enabled.
    Edited by bayushi2005 on October 7, 2019 10:33AM
  • StabbityDoom
    StabbityDoom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'm good at basic explanations, but @Chryseia and @bayushi2005 are great at technical explanations. Their work is astounding, too. Go visit. And make sure you check out Bayushi's animated videos. Stuff is jaw dropping.
    PC/NA
    EHT zealot
    streamer: http://twitch.tv/stabbitydoom
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Now I need to ask, what does locking do? I had assumed that it would make the selected furnishing unselectable until I locked, but that does not seem to be the case with the carpets I tried locking, so I think I just misunderstand the function.

@ErinM31 Locking prevents moving the item until you unlock it again. (Mind not to lock items which are part of animations - they won't work) If EHT would prevent selecting the item again, it would also prevent you from unlocking it, therefore you wouldn't be able to do anything with the item as long as EHT is enabled.

That makes sense. I had thought unlocking would need to be done from a menu in that case. But I’m pretty sure I was still able to move rugs and cabinets that I had locked — I will check again.

On another topic, may I ask which server you are on? I didn’t see your forum username among the EHT homes open for viewing and I would LOVE to visit your Tel Galen! :love:
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh and, I get it you are not big on the idea of addon use, but there are so many quality of life ones you would love, I might throw a list together of the bare necessities of quality of life! (hint: do you daily writs? Dolgubon's lazy daily writ addon practically does them for you, taking hours of work down to minutes if you have multiple characters/accounts)

I do hope you will put together such a list! EHT was my “gateway” add-on, apparently! :lol: Dolgubon’s Lazy Daily Writ is indeed fantastic and now doing the writs on all my alts as it’s not so tedious and time-consuming! :grin: Thank you for the recommendation!

Cool effects in your haunted house — which estate is that? I would love to visit! :smiley:
  • StabbityDoom
    StabbityDoom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Oh and, I get it you are not big on the idea of addon use, but there are so many quality of life ones you would love, I might throw a list together of the bare necessities of quality of life! (hint: do you daily writs? Dolgubon's lazy daily writ addon practically does them for you, taking hours of work down to minutes if you have multiple characters/accounts)

I do hope you will put together such a list! EHT was my “gateway” add-on, apparently! :lol: Dolgubon’s Lazy Daily Writ is indeed fantastic and now doing the writs on all my alts as it’s not so tedious and time-consuming! :grin: Thank you for the recommendation!

Cool effects in your haunted house — which estate is that? I would love to visit! :smiley:

mournoth, it's currently my primary. I will do such a list shortly!
    PC/NA
    EHT zealot
  • bayushi2005
    bayushi2005
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On another topic, may I ask which server you are on? I didn’t see your forum username among the EHT homes open for viewing and I would LOVE to visit your Tel Galen! :love:

@ErinM31 I am PC/EU. There is a number of my homes set as open. I'll double check the settings in the moment as I operate on three different PCs and sometimes stuff goes crazy. Most of the houses should be in a relatively good state (some go wonky after playing an animation on 150+ linked objects). Really sorry but I can't give a tour until 24th of October (I'll be back home) as this bummer bayushi forgot to transfer Saved Variables. If you can't resist - link to the YT channel is in my forum footnote.

Roam, graze, have fun :)
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErinM31 I am PC/EU. There is a number of my homes set as open. I'll double check the settings in the moment as I operate on three different PCs and sometimes stuff goes crazy. Most of the houses should be in a relatively good state (some go wonky after playing an animation on 150+ linked objects). Really sorry but I can't give a tour until 24th of October (I'll be back home) as this bummer bayushi forgot to transfer Saved Variables. If you can't resist - link to the YT channel is in my forum footnote.

Roam, graze, have fun :)

Ahh, I’m on PC/NA — I should have specified, sorry! It is time to stop thinking about it and actually go create a character on the EU server for touring! B)
  • Krainor1974
    Krainor1974
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can check in eht the community tab those homes are open for visiting.
    My homes aren’t as flashy but I they have given people ideas how to use items and fxs. I always liked finding ways to use items n fxs other than the normal. Also my homes combine to form a town in a valley. @KrainorBlackthorne in game n on community list , feel free to visit. PC/NA
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Okay, so I was selecting items and locking them, heard a click as of a lock and a message appeared saying that the furnishing was locked — yet I could still select and move it. I tried again this evening and if I select as group — even if only one item — then it works and there is also a sort of box around the item and a lock symbol and the item can not be moved.

I thought I would share that in case anyone else was confused or in case I could be doing things more efficiently. :)

I’ll look forward to it! :smiley: And it doesn’t look like your Mournmoth is open on EHT yet? Perhaps it opens closer to Halloween? ;)
    My homes aren’t as flashy but I they have given people ideas how to use items and fxs. I always liked finding ways to use items n fxs other than the normal. Also my homes combine to form a town in a valley. @KrainorBlackthorne in game n on community list , feel free to visit. PC/NA

Awesome, will do! Not flashy is good — I appreciate when whatever elements used are well-chosen and put together to create a theme, tell a story, etc. Indeed, I get an extra joy in discovering little details. :blush:
  • StabbityDoom
    StabbityDoom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Okay, so I was selecting items and locking them, heard a click as of a lock and a message appeared saying that the furnishing was locked — yet I could still select and move it. I tried again this evening and if I select as group — even if only one item — then it works and there is also a sort of box around the item and a lock symbol and the item can not be moved.

I thought I would share that in case anyone else was confused or in case I could be doing things more efficiently. :)

I’ll look forward to it! :smiley: And it doesn’t look like your Mournmoth is open on EHT yet? Perhaps it opens closer to Halloween? ;)

Awesome, will do! Not flashy is good — I appreciate when whatever elements used are well-chosen and put together to create a theme, tell a story, etc. Indeed, I get an extra joy in discovering little details. :blush:

poop. It should be open. I'll double check.It's my primary.
    PC/NA
    EHT zealot
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Feendish wrote: »

There's a deeply-held reason for that. I spend a few hours every morning making sure I tour all the new ones. This is for one reason alone - because I want people to know that someone cares. I care about the work and creativity and passion that goes into each of their builds and I want them to know that their art is seen and appreciated. There's nothing sadder to me than when I had a house nobody came to see when I busted my butt on it. So I don't want --anyone-- to feel that way.

You are the only visitor in the vast majority of my homes (that has signed the log, at any rate), and because of this, I'm very grateful. Thank you.

More people sure visit your homes! I love your Nocturnal’s Path — one of my favorites! :blush:
    See this lovely jacuzzi? It's gone now (I redid my tel galen), but it had fx water. Going under fx, you can select "water, round" of different types, like coldharbour water or aquarium water or all sorts. You pick that, place it simply with the arrows that will pop up, and you now have a full jacuzzi.

zsla6zm42767.png

So beautiful! :love:
    This is my bouldertree, available to tour.

You can put in weather. Here, I chose falling ash and fire. You can add snow, rain, falling leaves, and more. Just look under fx, weather. May I suggest you combine this with a sky - for example, pulling the storm sky in white/grey over a heavy snow fx can take a bright area like Strident Springs a snow paradise. Here I used a painting in the background and a red fiery looking sky.

ik0rwmzv0r7h.png

I love how you made this look like a scene straight from the dungeon! :smiley:

I do wish that you had left up your list of homes with highlights to check out in each of them! But then I will work on visiting everything eventually, just will take me some time as I like to visit a few each night when I can and take in all the details. :blush:
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chryseia wrote: »
    @ErinM31 Hey Erin! So, to probably give more detail than you want..
    The brightness global and brightness area FX basically just adjust a visitor's in-game graphic settings to set the gamma slider to the specific value that you set for it via the FX color wheel. Gamma is basically just... a way to adjust how "black" and contrasting your game's graphics are.

Normally, if you manually adjust your game's gamma value, you can change it to a specific range that is not particularly dramatic, even at the most contrasting. HOWEVER, Cardi figured out that the game actually allows you to make the gamma much more dramatic than the video setting allows for. As such, he unlocked that ability with the brightness global and brightness area FXs. In the screenshot @StabbityDoom linked, I was messing around with what the home would look like if I set the gamma to be as dark/contrasting as it possibly could be set via the brightness, global FX.

All of that is a long (and probably un-wanted) way of saying that the FX that was used was "brightness, global" at the most contrasting gamma setting possible (via the grayscale on the color wheel of the edit fx menu). And also to explain that it doesn't actually make the lighting "darker" in the way you would intuitively think it would. What it actually does is increase the contrast so much that everything but the most brightest of light sources look black. You can, of course, set the gamma to be less contrasting than what I did in that picture to make it less oppressively pitch black, and in some ways it will mimic true darkness, but light sources wont necessarily behave the way you would expect because its not really adjusting light, just contrast. On this same note, the way that colors appear to you will change as well - just as if you started messing with the normal game gamma settings.

In other words, totally doable! But it will take some tinkering.

Good luck!

Edit: Thought of another thing - you can also use the veil of darkness fx in a similar matter- it also adjusts your game video settings to affect certain brightness/darkness parameters. You can even use the brightness global and veil of darkness at the same time to further fine tune the lighting. BOTH brightness global and veil of darkness can be used to either "brighten" or "darken" a space. (or decrease or increase contrast)

Global Brightness is amazing! :smiley: Somehow the screenshot looks darker to me than the room did in game, but it is purposefully dark and high contrast. The room is very much a WIP, and playing with this effect does reveal many furnishings which have some inherent "lightness" to them even if they wouldn't normally seem to glow. The human skull (not in this shot), for instance, might need an additional brightness area effect to give it low-key lighting and dramatic shadow.

eeh034ldeicr.png

Is there a way to adjust Global Brightness relative to its current value or relative to baseline (no effect)? Right now, without numerical values or sliders, I'm just selecting shades of gray which appear to be darker or lighter than the square in the center of the color wheel.
    Edited by Araneae6537 on October 9, 2019 1:50PM
  • Tezzaa
    Tezzaa
    ✭✭✭
    I have a question as a new user to EHT. I do not learn by watching videos as I need to be able to stop and practice and rewinding YouTube is a cumbersome pain in my butt... Is there a WRITTEN tutorial or guide for EHT? I learn by reading and being able to practice and reference the guide as I practice is what works best for my learning style. I am jsut curious as housing is something I love and I want to be able to do the fancy things I see others accomplish
  • StabbityDoom
    StabbityDoom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No, and I am usually the same way about videos, but since there was no other option here I did the whole video thing and stopped at points like you mentioned.
    PC/NA
    EHT zealot
  • StabbityDoom
    StabbityDoom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No, and I am usually the same way about videos, but since there was no other option here I did the whole video thing and stopped at points like you mentioned. As a starting point though, I suggest you go to a storage house and start playing with the fx, which are the easiest. When installed, mouse over the EHT icon in the lower right hand corner and select the "wand" looking icon. From there, just try different named effects. They are as simple as click and they pop up. You can modify them by cllicking on the paint bucket icon over them and then fiddling with the sliders and stuff that show up when you do.
    PC/NA
    EHT zealot
  • Falcon298
    Falcon298
    Soul Shriven
    Hey guys, this is my first time posting here. So I am having a bit of trouble with EHT. All my FX are showing through walls and other objects. Like I can stand behind my house and still see the FX that I placed at the front. When I stand in the water you see in the pictures and look down, it always looks like it is on top of me even though the FX is at ground level. Is there any way to fix this?

This is showing where the FX should be

vzifyv4yiv3o.png
    This is the problem I'm having

z3ghl20s9nb9.png
  • StabbityDoom
    StabbityDoom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Ah this is a bug @Chryseia knows how to deal with, it's a setting in your graphics but I forget which. Hopefully she will chime in soon!
    PC/NA
    EHT zealot
  • Falcon298
    Falcon298
    Soul Shriven
    @StabbityDoom I figured it out. SubSampling quality has to be on high. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction! :smile:
  • Chryseia
    Chryseia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah sorry I just saw this - glad you figured it out Falcon! Thanks for pinging me Stabs <3

For anyone else who wanders in here with a similar issue, the two main graphics settings that tend to mess up FX are:
    1. Subsampling must be set to high
    2. Playing in "windowed mode" (pure windowed, not windowed fullscreen. Windowed fullscreen is fine) can cause problems sometimes. Fullscreen and Windowed fullscreen work best.

@Tezzaa its not a full comprehensive guide or anything, but once while answering a question in a different thread I kind of went on a... long description/introduction to various EHT settings and editing options. It's under the spoiler tag in this comment if you want to see it - maybe it will help a little bit? It's really just an introduction to the things I use most often though.
  • Rinthetharmo
    Rinthetharmo
    ✭✭✭
    Great helpful post ty! I think u might know EHT better than even Cardi himself! :D
  • StabbityDoom
    StabbityDoom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'm going to be adding to another thread, but here I should also note that I will be including tutorials here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/528351/new-feature-stabbys-eht-how-to-videos
    which are videos, not screenies like these.
    PC/NA
    EHT zealot
  • Rishikesa108
    Rishikesa108
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Falcon298 wrote: »
    Hey guys, this is my first time posting here. So I am having a bit of trouble with EHT. All my FX are showing through walls and other objects. Like I can stand behind my house and still see the FX that I placed at the front. When I stand in the water you see in the pictures and look down, it always looks like it is on top of me even though the FX is at ground level. Is there any way to fix this?

This is showing where the FX should be

vzifyv4yiv3o.png
    This is the problem I'm having

z3ghl20s9nb9.png
    Chryseia wrote: »
    Ah sorry I just saw this - glad you figured it out Falcon! Thanks for pinging me Stabs <3

For anyone else who wanders in here with a similar issue, the two main graphics settings that tend to mess up FX are:
    1. Subsampling must be set to high
    2. Playing in "windowed mode" (pure windowed, not windowed fullscreen. Windowed fullscreen is fine) can cause problems sometimes. Fullscreen and Windowed fullscreen work best.

@Tezzaa its not a full comprehensive guide or anything, but once while answering a question in a different thread I kind of went on a... long description/introduction to various EHT settings and editing options. It's under the spoiler tag in this comment if you want to see it - maybe it will help a little bit? It's really just an introduction to the things I use most often though.

Hello everyone, I have just installed this gorgeous addon, but I am having problems.
    I have the same problem as Falcon 298: look at my picture.
    But my settings are already right... so I can't understand how to fix my issue.
    Could someone help me please ?

dypn8uvzh5hz.png

4b3nfpdbhon5.png

Man did not weave the web of life – he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi, posting to remember this thread.... I have not enjoyed working with EHT.... and I have some vacation coming up so maybe I will take another look.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • StabbityDoom
    StabbityDoom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If you are sure that these are right:

[*] Subsampling must be set to high
    [*] Playing in "windowed mode" (pure windowed, not windowed fullscreen. Windowed fullscreen is fine) can cause problems sometimes. Fullscreen and Windowed fullscreen work best.

then it's possible it's a third problem, the display resolution must be the same as your resolutions in windows desktop.

let me know if that works
    PC/NA
    EHT zealot
  • bayushi2005
    bayushi2005
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll try to clarify the resolution issue from my own experience:

a) if using a fullscreen mode - make sure that your game resolution matches the native resolution of your screen, thus you won't be able to use DSR in this mode without the FX going crazy.

b) if using the windowed fullscreen mode the resolution does not have to match - the FX should be displayed properly even with DSR or mismatched resolutions (I woudn't know without @Chryseia menitioning that windowed fullscreen solves mismatched resolution issues).

@Rishikesa108 3200x1800 seems to be a quite unusual setup, check with windowed fullscreen mode?
  • Rishikesa108
    Rishikesa108
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok folks, now it works !
    It works both:

1) Fullscreen mode + low Subsampling

2) Windowed fullscreen mode + high Subsampling

But it does not work if I choose the Fullscreen mode+ high Subsampling

Thank you all !
    Man did not weave the web of life – he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

1. Watch Cardi's videos. These are easy to find with a simple search on Youtube or even through the program itself.

A search gets me a pile of stuff with nothing clearly labled as "Cardi"

Edited to add that I did figure it out; apparently "Cardi" is Cardinal05 and can be found here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUnp3soEiXWH4vXWM5FUEqw

WARNING: they would be terrific for visual learners.

Unfortunately, that is not me. I really struggle here. I will keep looking for videos with audio comments, which will be much easier for me to grok.

Edited by newtinmpls on September 16, 2020 12:06AM
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • StabbityDoom
    StabbityDoom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @newtinmpls you're in luck, my friend.

I've made a series of spoken videos for people like you and me who need words.

PC/NA
    EHT zealot