Maintenance for the week of March 18:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – March 18
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 19, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 1:00PM EDT (17:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – March 20, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – March 20, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)

Can a Dev clarify how "tradeskill" affects Master Writ drop rates

Icy
Icy
✭✭✭✭
@Bel_Shezzar at https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/3656134#Comment_3656134 wrote:
Tradeskill mastery (which determines your odds of receiving a master writ from a top tier writ reward box) is meant to imply a long-term dedication to the craft. This varies from tradeskill to tradeskill.

For Blacksmithing, Clothier, and Woodworking, this means motif knowledge and overall completion of trait research. This does not include Crown-exclusive motifs or motifs for the 9 base player races. It focuses on motifs that take some effort to learn – like Xivkyn, or Minotaur, or Celestial.
For Provisioning, this is instead your collection of known purple and gold recipes as they are a strong overall representation of dedication to craft.
With Enchanting, we instead look at the total overall rune word translations you’ve completed on that character.
And with Alchemy, we look at how many reagents from which you’ve completely learned all effects.

Over time, the contributing factors for this may expand as the associated tradeskill mechanics do.
Can a Dev clarify if:
* The tradeskill is specifically within a crafting tree? For example, if Provisioning is maxed out, with lots of purple and gold recipes known, but no other crafting skills are trained, does that mean that character still has a good chance of getting Provisoning Master Writs in their provisioning reward boxes?
OR
* The tradeskill is a combination over all crafting trees. If that's the case, in the example above, the character would have nearly no chance of a Master Writ, as they only have 1 of 6 crafting trees maxed.
This would be very helpful to know!
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________Greetings, Outlanders from -Icy (@IcyIC)twitch.tv/IcyICyoutube.com/HulloItsIcy(not ZOS_Icy)_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
  • essi2
    essi2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would also like to get a clear definition.

My guess though would be that Motifs and Traits increase droprate for Clothier/Blacksmithing/Woodworking Master Writs - But do traits apply to all these crafts or just their respective craft?

Recipes increase droprate for Provisioning Master Writs

etc.
    "The Heritance are racists yes? Idiots. But dangerous, destabilizing racist idiots." - Razum-dar

"Wood Elves aren't made of wood, Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves" - M'aiq the Liar

** Leyawiin Layabouts (PC-EU) - Leyawiin Layabouts (PC-NA) **

*** https://www.youtube.com/@essi2 - https://www.twitch.tv/essi2 ***
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would assume it was per tradeskill, but it's certainly an interesting question!
    Edited by Enodoc on January 18, 2017 11:12AM
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • kojou
    kojou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I would like more info on this as well...

- Is an individual Motif page enough to improve your drop rate, or does the calculation only look at the achievement for having all of the motif pages?

- Does each known trait improve your chances, or does it look at items where you have researched all traits?

- How much does each known purple and blue recipe affect the drop rate?
    Playing since beta...
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Icy wrote: »
    @Bel_Shezzar at https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/3656134#Comment_3656134 wrote:
    Tradeskill mastery (which determines your odds of receiving a master writ from a top tier writ reward box) is meant to imply a long-term dedication to the craft. This varies from tradeskill to tradeskill.

For Blacksmithing, Clothier, and Woodworking, this means motif knowledge and overall completion of trait research. This does not include Crown-exclusive motifs or motifs for the 9 base player races. It focuses on motifs that take some effort to learn – like Xivkyn, or Minotaur, or Celestial.
    For Provisioning, this is instead your collection of known purple and gold recipes as they are a strong overall representation of dedication to craft.
    With Enchanting, we instead look at the total overall rune word translations you’ve completed on that character.
    And with Alchemy, we look at how many reagents from which you’ve completely learned all effects.

Over time, the contributing factors for this may expand as the associated tradeskill mechanics do.
    Can a Dev clarify if:
    * The tradeskill is specifically within a crafting tree? For example, if Provisioning is maxed out, with lots of purple and gold recipes known, but no other crafting skills are trained, does that mean that character still has a good chance of getting Provisoning Master Writs in their provisioning reward boxes?
    OR
    * The tradeskill is a combination over all crafting trees. If that's the case, in the example above, the character would have nearly no chance of a Master Writ, as they only have 1 of 6 crafting trees maxed.
    This would be very helpful to know!

It would pertain to that crafting line based on their detailed explanation.

For provisioning the more recipes known but doesn't dare his many rune stones are known.
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's so incredibly easy to learn all plants and runes as compared to smithing skills that require both research and never ending new motifs. Does this 'learning curve' have any consideration in master writ drop rates? As an aside, equipment writs should be rewarded with much high number of writ vouchers, considering it not only takes longer to 'master' these crafts, but they also require constantly learning new motifs.
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • Fudly_budly
    Fudly_budly
    ✭✭✭✭
    Enodoc wrote: »
    I would assume it was per tradeskill, but it's certainly an interesting question!

^^
    Me as well and asking can't hurt. Would love a more fleshed explanation
    Rule #1: RL trumps gaming.
    Rule #2: True immersion is RL.
    Rule #3: RL lag is wonderful.
    Rule #4: People matter. Pixels do not.
  • Catnight
    Catnight
    ✭✭
    Soo... to get a better chance of a Master Writ, Provisioners need to throw tousands of Gold out of the window to buy and learn Recipes they would never use? Well... bye, bye master writ.
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
  • Alpheu5
    Alpheu5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I stopped trying to learn all the new motifs after Xivkyn and Pact since there was no point in putting a bunch of effort into obtaining whole styles when all the armor I'd realistically use were BoE and BoP. So I guess I'm up a creek without a paddle in that regard.

Good thing I've got Enchanting and Provisioning well-invested in, though.
    Dalek-Rok - Argonian Sorcerer || Dalek-Shād - Argonian Nightblade || Dalek-Shul - Argonian Templar || Dalek-Xal - Argonian Dragonknight || Mounts-the-Snout - Argonian Warden || Dalek-Xul - Argonian Necromancer || Two-Spires - Argonian Arcanist || Dalek-Nesh - Argonian Sorcerer || Dalek-Kör - Argonian Dragonknight
    Don't incorporate bugs into your builds, and you won't have [an] issue.
  • ZOS_Bel_Shezzar
    ZOS_Bel_Shezzar
    ✭✭✭
    They’re measured individually, so from the example your investment in Provisioning would affect your odds of getting a Provisioning master writ and no other types.

Also, as we’ve seen a lot of collective concern regarding the impact of motif knowledge on your odds of receiving the (very valuable) Blacksmithing, Woodworking, and Clothier Master Writs, we’d like to reiterate that motif knowledge is only one component. That knowledge shouldn’t make, or break, your chances of receiving Master Writs on its own, but it does significantly influence those chances.
    Chris Balser
    Systems Team - The Elder Scrolls Online
    Staff Post
  • Icy
    Icy
    ✭✭✭✭
    They’re measured individually, so from the example your investment in Provisioning would affect your odds of getting a Provisioning master writ and no other types.

Also, as we’ve seen a lot of collective concern regarding the impact of motif knowledge on your odds of receiving the (very valuable) Blacksmithing, Woodworking, and Clothier Master Writs, we’d like to reiterate that motif knowledge is only one component. That knowledge shouldn’t make, or break, your chances of receiving Master Writs on its own, but it does significantly influence those chances.

Woo! Thank you for letting us know!
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________________Greetings, Outlanders from -Icy (@IcyIC)twitch.tv/IcyICyoutube.com/HulloItsIcy(not ZOS_Icy)_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the response, @Bel_Shezzar

Regarding the motifs: Does each individual chapter count, or only fully completed motifs? I.e., would I be better off focusing on depth, hunting down the last couple of chapters that I'm missing from a style, or would I be better off going for breadth, trying to get as many chapters as possible, even if they are scattered between a variety of styles?
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    code65536 wrote: »

Regarding the motifs: Does each individual chapter count, or only fully completed motifs? I.e., would I be better off focusing on depth, hunting down the last couple of chapters that I'm missing from a style, or would I be better off going for breadth, trying to get as many chapters as possible, even if they are scattered between a variety of styles?

Another great question which I would like to know as well.

There are a couple of motifs that I'm very close to finishing the achievement ... but some motifs are easier to farm all the pages versus others.
  • MasterSpatula
    MasterSpatula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a vital, perhaps even essential, question.
    "A probable impossibility is preferable to an improbable possibility." - Aristotle
  • Niaver
    Niaver
    ✭✭✭✭

So people buying Crown Store exclusive motif styles, which are supposed to be purely cosmetic items, have better chances to get ingame items per Master Writs. (i.e. a person with all ingame motifs + CS motifs will get more writs > a person with all motifs available ingame). Interesting.

Edit: Got it wrong, nevermind.
    Edited by Niaver on January 18, 2017 11:37PM
    PC EU - Daggerfall Covenant - @Niaver
    Erazar (main) - Khajit DK tank

Proud owner of Maelstrom Sharpened Bow
  • Icy
    Icy
    ✭✭✭✭
    Niaver wrote: »
    So people buying Crown Store exclusive motif styles, which are supposed to be purely cosmetic items, have better chances to get ingame items per Master Writs. (i.e. a person with all ingame motifs + CS motifs will get more writs > a person with all motifs available ingame). Interesting.

If you'll check the quote in the first post (from https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/3656134#Comment_3656134) you'll see it says:

"This does not include Crown-exclusive motifs or motifs for the 9 base player races."

• Stopnaggin
    Stopnaggin
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Cs exclusive motifs are not considered, they stated that shortly after the patch notes.
  • pieratsos
    pieratsos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Crown exclusive motifs do not count. Read the first comment.
  • Niaver
    Niaver
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ok guys, got it, my bad, thanks. That's a really good decision by ZOS!
    PC EU - Daggerfall Covenant - @Niaver
    Erazar (main) - Khajit DK tank

Proud owner of Maelstrom Sharpened Bow
  • dpencil
    dpencil
    ✭✭✭✭
    I personally think it's great for there to be an additional incentive to learn the various motifs. The whole Master Writ idea is very creative. Props to whoever's brain-child it was.
    Edited by dpencil on January 18, 2017 11:50PM
  • Annalyse
    Annalyse
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I, too, would love to know the answer to this question. I have some half completed and would like to know if that will make any difference at all.
  • Sounomi
    Sounomi
    ✭✭✭
    dpencil wrote: »
    I personally think it's great for there to be an additional incentive to learn the various motifs.

A change to the add-on API in this update seems to suggest that they're looking into the ability to convert grease to any style in the future. It's quite possible that all of this motif knowledge will mean something more in the future because of that.
  • Alpheu5
    Alpheu5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounomi wrote: »
    dpencil wrote: »
    I personally think it's great for there to be an additional incentive to learn the various motifs.

A change to the add-on API in this update seems to suggest that they're looking into the ability to convert grease to any style in the future. It's quite possible that all of this motif knowledge will mean something more in the future because of that.

Grease? As in bottom-of-the-barrel-poisons solvent grease?
    Edited by Alpheu5 on January 19, 2017 7:07AM
    Dalek-Rok - Argonian Sorcerer || Dalek-Shād - Argonian Nightblade || Dalek-Shul - Argonian Templar || Dalek-Xal - Argonian Dragonknight || Mounts-the-Snout - Argonian Warden || Dalek-Xul - Argonian Necromancer || Two-Spires - Argonian Arcanist || Dalek-Nesh - Argonian Sorcerer || Dalek-Kör - Argonian Dragonknight
    Don't incorporate bugs into your builds, and you won't have [an] issue.
  • Erasure
    Erasure
    ✭✭✭
    Alpheu5 wrote: »

Grease? As in bottom-of-the-barrel-poisons solvent grease?

Grease, gears. Equipment. Consider anagrams when debugging human.
  • InvitationNotFound
    InvitationNotFound
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I actually don't like what I'm reading here.
    More information would be great...

Btw. how does trait research plays into the drop rate / quality?

@Bel_Shezzar :
    Could you please provide more information?
    Edited by InvitationNotFound on January 19, 2017 7:04PM
    We want firing off Dark Exchange in the middle of combat to feel awesome... - The Wrobler
    You know you don't have to be here right? - Rich Lambert
    Verrätst du mir deinen Beruf? Ich würde auch gerne mal Annahmen dazu schreiben, wie simple die Aufgaben anderer sind. - Kai Schober

Addons:
    RdK Group Tool: esoui DE EN FR
    Port to Friend's House: esoui DE EN FR - Library: DE EN
    Yet another Compass: esoui DE EN FR
    Group Buffs: esoui DE EN FR
  • Icy
    Icy
    ✭✭✭✭
    I actually don't like what I'm reading here.
    More information would be great...

Btw. how does trait research plays into the drop rate / quality?

@Bel_Shezzar :
    Could you please provide more information?

From the quote at the top "For Blacksmithing, Clothier, and Woodworking, this means motif knowledge and overall completion of trait research" so now is the time to finish researching as many traits as possible.

From my own look at completing Master Writs (once you've received them), some of the armour sets required to construct were definitely 9-trait sets, so get researching!
  • Autolycus
    Autolycus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The answer to this question is probably the most desirable and anticipated for this entire update. Knowing if our chances are calculated per-page or per-complete-motif is extremely valuable information. @Bel_Shezzar pleeeeease shed some light on this!