The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Do you watch housing tours?

• SickleCider
    SickleCider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No
    Langdon64 wrote: »
    I don't, because so many of them use add-ons. I think it's more of a challenge, and more fun, to furnish them with just ESO supplied items and functionality.

There's also this. I don't have any compunction with people using add-ons in their houses, but I don't have access to them, so I'm personally more interested in seeing what people do with the items available in the game.
    ✨🐦✨ Blackfeather Court Commission ✨🐦✨
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes
    I watch a few that are posted here on the forum during free time at work but never on my own time at home.

The ones I do watch I really enjoy the art and beauty and appreciate the time and effort that others put into their work.

Only wish I could copy some of these ideas but since I have no creative bone in my body I don't even try, just be amazed and admire the work of others. :)
  • Chryseia
    Chryseia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I love watching housing videos! The entire reason I am active on forums is because I think a housing community is enriched by the active flow of ideas and perspectives from builder to builder. After all, we all see the world (and Tamriel) in different ways, and we cant help but have that perspective reflected in the builds we create.

The best part of an active housing community is the ability to, just for a second, step into the mind of someone else and see how they view the world and relate to the objects in it. I cannot image cutting myself off from that experience out of fear of being influenced.

The truth is, we are all influenced by each other, and that's a good thing. I hope I never stop learning, being inspired, and just plain surprised by others.

On a personal level RE stealing, I always offer to identify décor, answer questions, or provide building techniques to people who are curious about how I made some weird cobble or architectural texture. I also literally post step by step work in progress pictures of things I am making in the DDA discord, housing design gallery channel, because when I am building I am super excited about it and I want to share. If it comes down to a question of origination, I know in my heart whether it was my idea or not, and that's good enough for me (personally), and by free-sharing techniques and ideas with others, it may help inspire an iteration of my idea that is simply amazing. But maybe I am weird. I literally wake up with cobble ideas, so I try not to question the process too much = )
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I felt the same way at first. I avoided watching any videos and I avoided visiting other houses. Hurt some people's feelings, probably, because people LOVE to show off their houses. And then I realized...I'm not going to go copying someone's house. I enjoy tailoring things to my own needs and taste. So why would I worry about being inspired by someone else's use of building blocks we all have access to? It's kind of like Legos. There's a finite number of ways they can be put together...a very LARGE finite number, in this case, but it's still a finite number. Someone, somewhere, is always going to be the first one to put X furnishing with Y furnishing on top of Z furnishing in House 1. Just because I happen to see this usage first in a housing tour doesn't mean that fifteen other people haven't done the exact same thing in their housing and just don't do videos of them, you know? So I'm happy to show other people how I've cobbled things together to make something, and I don't mind looking at other people's cobbling now because we can all riff off it and it's just learning technique and usage of the same tools available to us. Now, outright *copying*, say, an entire house would be sad, but nobody who enjoys housing is going to do that, it's too much fun to create.
    Edited by Minyassa on December 7, 2019 9:13AM
  • StabbityDoom
    StabbityDoom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    I like them but most of the time it makes me feel inadequate.

I then spend hours crying and ignoring ESO until my bf reminds me that my designs are cool. lol

OH MY GOD. Don't do this. Please. People have all different kinds of builds and I learn things from the simplest to the most ambitious. Please don't beat yourself up. We're a wonderful community and I would love to honor everyone's building.
    PC/NA
    EHT zealot
    streamer: http://twitch.tv/stabbitydoom
  • StabbityDoom
    StabbityDoom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Finally, I'd like to point out that there's a community aspect to watching the tours together. We all get to know each other and chat together, i get excited when I see @doobat or @delicia log in, and we all just squee together at the cool stuff and enjoy things together. It's a great feeling to see everyone and have events like that together.
    PC/NA
    EHT zealot
  • bayushi2005
    bayushi2005
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other

I then spend hours crying and ignoring ESO until my bf reminds me that my designs are cool. lol

OH MY GOD. Don't do this. Please. People have all different kinds of builds and I learn things from the simplest to the most ambitious. Please don't beat yourself up. We're a wonderful community and I would love to honor everyone's building.

@dcam86b14_ESO - @StabbityDoom is absolutely right here. You wouldn't believe how many times people told me that my builds are sh!@, because they are: lore unfriendly/too colourful/not colourful enough/overdone/too empty/dramatic/too static (sic!)/have too many coprses in them/just cra!$#/disgusting...

On the other hand, you will get plenty of support from the housing community. This crazy bunch is wating for you :) Show off!

Everybody has their own style, but we are all here to, ultimately, have fun!
    Edited by bayushi2005 on December 7, 2019 2:04PM
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes

@dcam86b14_ESO - @StabbityDoom is absolutely right here. You wouldn't believe how many times people told me that my builds are sh!@, because they are: lore unfriendly/too colourful/not colourful enough/overdone/too empty/dramatic/too static (sic!)/have too many coprses in them/just cra!$#/disgusting...

On the other hand, you will get plenty of support from the housing community. This crazy bunch is wating for you :) Show off!

Yeah, you will get the occasional person coming to your house, when you're there, looking around in silence, saying nothing positive, maybe criticising something and then leaving; or leaving without saying anything at all.

It's quite funny, really...

If I go to someone's house (especially uninvited), when they are there, I always try to say positive things (normally, there are plenty of things to say them about) because, otherwise, it's just rude, isn't it?

I would only make suggestions, politely, if they asked me about something specific, or had said they didn't know what to use in a certain situation, or in general, or something.

I would never go to someone else's house, look around in silence and then say something like; "Do you really need this many lights?" and leave, but some people will and do. xD
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    Finally, I'd like to point out that there's a community aspect to watching the tours together. We all get to know each other and chat together, i get excited when I see @doobat or @delicia log in, and we all just squee together at the cool stuff and enjoy things together. It's a great feeling to see everyone and have events like that together.

That sounds awesome! :smiley: Is this on Twitch or a Discord channel?
  • dcam86b14_ESO
    dcam86b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Tigerseye wrote: »

Yeah, you will get the occasional person coming to your house, when you're there, looking around in silence, saying nothing positive, maybe criticising something and then leaving; or leaving without saying anything at all.

If I go to someone's house (especially uninvited), when they are there, I always try to say positive things (normally, there are plenty of things to say them about) because, otherwise, it's just rude, isn't it?

I would only make suggestions, politely, if they asked me about something specific, or had said they didn't know what to use in a certain situation, or in general, or something.

I would never go to someone else's house, look around in silence and then say something like; "Do you really need this many lights?" and leave, but some people will and do. xD

I am guilty of not saying anything or popping up in someone's house randomly and they think im a hacker lol
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes

I am guilty of not saying anything or popping up in someone's house randomly and they think im a hacker lol

lol
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other

I can’t imagine doing that! :open_mouth: I would at the least say ‘hello’ and depending on my mood, probably unnecessarily apologize for intruding! :lol:
  • dcam86b14_ESO
    dcam86b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes

I can’t imagine doing that! :open_mouth: I would at the least say ‘hello’ and depending on my mood, probably unnecessarily apologize for intruding! :lol:

Ok dont hate me but I have social anxiety bad. I show up and if someone is home, I will hide behind the nearest wall or pillar and teleport out lol
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes

Ok dont hate me but I have social anxiety bad. I show up and if someone is home, I will hide behind the nearest wall or pillar and teleport out lol

I understand.

Most people will be friendly, if you do say hi, though. :smile:
  • StabbityDoom
    StabbityDoom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes

The EHT housing hub is good for this because it's all people who opened their home for you to visit :)
    PC/NA
    EHT zealot
  • chuck-18_ESO
    chuck-18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I reject the notion of "stealing" ideas entirely; this is an MMO, which is about a SHARED experience, made richer by the interactivity of the community.

I, for one, watch housing videos regularly for inspiration, and I'll "steal" someone's idea at the drop of a hat if I like it! I try to give it my own spin, of course, but there's zero shame in copying the brilliant ideas of someone else.

It really depends.

Stealing, or borrowing, someone's very specific (practical) idea and then, ideally, making it (visually) your own, is one thing.

Even if you don't manage to make it visually your own, as long as you do it purely for your own enjoyment and admit to anything you have borrowed, that is 100% fine, in my book.

At the other end of the scale, though, someone copying someone else's entire style and/or build and then entering it into a competition, especially one the original person has also entered, is (obviously) wrong.

That is not flattering; that is theft, pure and simple.

I mean, if a contest or something like that is involved, then obviously the entire criteria of the question is changed....
    The Exclusionary Mandates of Maruhkite Selection: All Are Equal

1: That the Supreme Spirit Akatosh is of unitary essence, as proven by the monolinearity of Time.
    1: That Shezarr the missing sibling is Singularly Misplaced and therefore Doubly Venerated.
    1: That the protean substrate that informs all denial of (1) is the Aldmeri Taint.
    1: That the Prophet Most Simian demonstrated that monothought begets Proper-Life.
    1: That the purpose of Proper-Life is the Expungement of the Taint.
    1: That the Arc of Time provides the mortal theater for the Sacred Expungement.
    1: That Akatosh is Time is Proper-Life is Taint-Death.
  • StabbityDoom
    StabbityDoom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    I reject the notion of "stealing" ideas entirely; this is an MMO, which is about a SHARED experience, made richer by the interactivity of the community.

I, for one, watch housing videos regularly for inspiration, and I'll "steal" someone's idea at the drop of a hat if I like it! I try to give it my own spin, of course, but there's zero shame in copying the brilliant ideas of someone else.

It really depends.

Stealing, or borrowing, someone's very specific (practical) idea and then, ideally, making it (visually) your own, is one thing.

Even if you don't manage to make it visually your own, as long as you do it purely for your own enjoyment and admit to anything you have borrowed, that is 100% fine, in my book.

At the other end of the scale, though, someone copying someone else's entire style and/or build and then entering it into a competition, especially one the original person has also entered, is (obviously) wrong.

That is not flattering; that is theft, pure and simple.

I mean, if a contest or something like that is involved, then obviously the entire criteria of the question is changed....

I have only ever seen two things I consider cheating and that's in over 6000 homes viewed. One was item for item exactly the same of a very unique concept, but when I told the original builder he said he didn't care. The other one was a contest situation, where the person visited my friend's home in the morning and that night had the same exact structure, which was pretty original and unique, in their home. They then varied from then on, but the structure was the same and my friend was very upset. *shrug* aside from that, I havent seen anybody steal, and I think it depends on what people feel about their builds being copied.
    PC/NA
    EHT zealot
  • Poms
    Poms
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    i love watching tours/streams
    i love visiting other peoples homes ...

and i really love with someone gives me inspiration to view things differently than i might see it.....i feel like it opens my mind to new possibilities. And while i may have taken some ideas from others in my homes, i almost always try and give it my own spin.....i've seen others who have used my ideas in their owns homes too...that's something special as well .....I think with the ability to see others creations it's allowed me to grow in my own designs.

Also i would be sad if no one ever saw my work...hence why i truly love the EHT community hub that allows us to open our homes to anyone using the app that might want to happen by and have a look at what i have done.
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other

Oh, I’m sorry! I didn’t mean to make you feel bad and it honestly hadn’t occurred to me that someone might do so because of anxiety. I suffer from anxiety too but how it manifests and the sort of situations that trigger it and how one deals with it undoubtably differ from person to person. Do keep visiting — if you feel up to saying a quick something before porting away (no need to feel obligated to long conversation), I’m sure that would be appreciated, but I won’t judge if I do get a silent visitor! :blush:
    Edited by Araneae6537 on December 8, 2019 7:33PM
  • Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Yes! I watch all sorts of ESO videos including housing.
    Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
    Might be joking in comments.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
  • wallace.fanningb14_ESO
    Other
    I've seen a few, but most houses I see seem cluttered. Those judging seem to like this, while I actively like functional and (somewhat) minimal. So the videos become a turn off, while Ideas from others do seem great! I like idea sharing....

Something I don't know what to think about are house "geometry"/structure redesigns... I've seen this a couple of times and in some ways it is neat but in other ways it makes the house irrelevant... I wish there were a couple more "blank slates" (like the Coldharbour Estate) for people wanting to do total re designs.
    Edited by wallace.fanningb14_ESO on December 10, 2019 5:08AM
  • Caelnir
    Caelnir
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    The thing is there is nothing wrong with stealing ideas. That's the same with design in real life. If you want to do something that hasn't been done before, sure go for it. You can also get inspiration from builds and add your own flavour to them. (Not talking about copying a house %100, I wouldn't do that either.) When it comes to design, you can get inspirations and there is nothing wrong with that. It's the opposite, you can push it to perfection even more. Then it would be copying too when designers are using same fonts, same color scheme or same spacing etc. :)
  • sueblue
    sueblue
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    All these well-thought-out responses are swaying my aversion. I almost scrapped this post but I am glad I went ahead with it.

I am also very happy that I joined the forums because the housing community is so supportive. I was letting a bad in-game experience color my thoughts on all of this.

Thanks, everyone <3

P.S. @Araneae6537 - While in school, a lot of the assignments were to "Copy the Masters". It's a great exercise to learn new techniques but I would never put the pieces in my portfolio for obvious reasons. This was my thought process anyway :)
    Awake/Asleep, I dream.
  • Shauriel
    Shauriel
    my little take on this is simply you can learn so much from viewing houses of other players, the imaginations out there are incredible to say the least. If you are new to housing and not really created much before its a great way to begin learning how to do things. Also if your fairly established at creating you can still learn new things so to me its a win win situation and a positive result for housing over all,
  • Delphinia
    Delphinia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    The way I look at it, is this is a great place to view and share what I would consider to be pieces of art.

I love to create, but I also love to view work done by others. There is so much talent in this community.

I definitely appreciate the creativity and style from each and every one here.

To those amazing streamers who take us tours, such as @JHartEllis and @StabbityDoom and so many others, I thank you for your time and energy you put into it! 🥂
    Edited by Delphinia on December 16, 2019 2:34AM