Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Wood Elf/ Bosmer losing stealth passive, An open letter.

• MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Basically... the developers will listen and change things, unless 'they just don't want to!'

Dont worry, this passive will be altered in a future update... how far in the future, idk. It's bad and they know it. They have heard the complaints and the valid reasoning. (Lore and Logic)

For now... 'they just don't want to!'

Which is classic ZOS.

Step 1: Make stupid change (that either breaks lore, balance, or both)
    Step 2: Double down on change, tuning out all feedback and cutting off all communication channels
    Step 3: Continue to ignore feedback for 2+ years
    Step 4: Return the class/race to some measure of viability
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on February 19, 2019 6:09PM
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    so many complains about elves...feels good to be khajiit.

Khajiit were literally just bludgeoned to death in the last patch. They are now worse than Dunmer (the other hybrid race) in every single role.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on February 19, 2019 6:08PM
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just change it to

Increases your stealth reduction radius by 3 meters
    Increases your movement speed by 10% and your Physical and Spell Penetration by 1500 for 6 seconds after you use Roll Dodge.

From

Increases your stealth detection radius by 3 meters
    Increases your movement speed by 10% and your Physical and Spell Penetration by 1500 for 6 seconds after you use Roll Dodge.

One word will make all the difference. Please.

@ZOS_GinaBruno
    @ZOS_RichLambert
    @zos_gilliam
    #FiteForYourRite Bosmer = Stealth
    #OppositeResourceSiphoningAttacks
    || CP 1000+ || PC/NA || GUILDS: LWH; IA; CH; XA
    ""All gods' creatures (you lot) are equal when covered in A1 sauce"" -- Old Bosmeri Wisdom
  • anadandy
    anadandy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    max_only wrote: »
    Just change it to

From

@ZOS_GinaBruno
    @ZOS_RichLambert
    @zos_gilliam

Seriously - it's literally this easy.
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    max_only wrote: »
    Just change it to

From

@ZOS_GinaBruno
    @ZOS_RichLambert
    @zos_gilliam

I second this. Leave the dodgeroll mess if you must but give us back our reduced detection radius!
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
  • Alucardmike
    Alucardmike
    ✭✭✭
    Only to bring it up...

I still beg for money. Working good.
    The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
  • Fingolfinn01
    Fingolfinn01
    ✭✭✭✭
    I can't see how is it balancing racials. its just nerfing some races and buffing others. Sad day for the bosmer, sad day indeed when they wake up and realised they just have been hit with the nerf hammer.

I hope it will change, but who knows.
    PC-NA
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ""All gods' creatures (you lot) are equal when covered in A1 sauce"" -- Old Bosmeri Wisdom
  • heaven13
    heaven13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Copying this over from a thread in PTS.
    heaven13 wrote: »
    If you compare the little racial blurbs in live to PTS, they've even gone in and changed those. Bosmer used to say they were good at stealth. Now it's limited to stealth detection, while adding in the "gifted hunters" bit to push the agenda. I'm sorry, but this is probably the change I am most upset about. I'll adapt to all the other changes but my Bosmer losing the core of her identity is not acceptable to me.

As I mentioned in a previous thread, I've had some iteration of her since closed beta. She was made because of Bosmer lore: sneak thief archers. It's what I've always played. Now I'll need to rely on upcoming (soon™), undisclosed changes to stealth gameplay in general - which all races will have access to - and gear set bonuses to achieve a similar ability. Those that used the gear set bonuses on top of Bosmer passives to excel during heists and sacraments will either have to suck it up or become a furry. No thanks.

Stealth detection has no use in PVE. None. Even the developers have said as much. It's not even entirely useful in Cyrodiil due to the range, which people more knowledgeable than myself have covered. It's an asinine change that severely damages a core PVE aspect of this race with no reason especially given that it had limited use in actual group content (as far as I know, there wasn't an issue with Bosmer stealthing during a trial boss to do some kind of insane damage that other races couldn't compete with). IF the issue was the extra damage from stealth being too OP in Cyrodiil, reduce the damage done from stealth but leave the damn stealth radius in place.
    PC/NA
    Mountain God | Leave No Bone Unbroken | Apex Predator | Pure Lunacy | Depths Defier | No Rest for the Wicked | In Defiance of Death
    Defanged the Devourer | Nature's Wrath | Relentless Raider | True Genius | Bane of Thorns | Subterranean Smasher | Ardent Bibliophile

vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vDSA | vMoL HM | vHoF HM | vAS+2 | vCR+2 | vBRP | vSS HM | vKA | vRG
    Meet my characters :
    IT DOESN'T MATTER BECAUSE THEY'RE ALL THE SAME NOW, THANKS ZOS
  • Bladewizard
    Bladewizard
    ✭✭✭
    5 subs were cancelled in my house this morning, since it appears this is gonna go live.
    My niece only plays sneaky wood elves so she is done. My nephew only subs to play the game with his wife so if shes gone he is gone.
    My son subs so he can play the game with his old man and i quit my 2 subs because i am not paying to have my favorite race gutted, so he quit too. 5 subs gone in my house alone, because someone at zos decided wood elves shouldnt be sneaky. None of us even cared about the nerfs, that happens in every mmo, but making cats the only race with a real stealth passive was just too much.
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder how many more will quit come Feb 25th. People in game who don’t read the forums are in for a rude suprise.
  • Erris
    Erris
    ✭✭✭
    This is a horrible change. Hopefully they don't implement it.
  • zyk
    zyk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Things like this tend not to result in mass-exists, but they affect the attachment players have with the game, making it easier to leave when different options present themselves.

ZOS is working with an incredibly popular IP that millions are attached to, but they are eroding good will for their product every time they do something like this.

It's ironic, really, as the central theme of the main story is hubris and ZOS is so full of it.
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Erris wrote: »
    This is a horrible change. Hopefully they don't implement it.

We’ll find out in 5 days
  • Left4Daud
    Left4Daud
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the Bosmer stealth nerf goes live it will show either an absolutely incredible disconnect (or just plain disregard) by ZOS to their players. Neither of which are traits you would look for when contemplating supporting a developer.

Well, they’re making it easier and easier for me to keep my sub off the table and ignore future purchases (don’t have Summerset or Elsweyr). I won’t quit over this, no, but I will continue to stress their servers and not give them any more money for the far forseeable future.
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    After the Murkmire drama I did not resub and had my enjoyment of the game so thoroughly drained that I never even set foot into the zone up to this day. I didn't buy the DLC, but I did get it from the rewards anyway.
    The season of the Dragon looked so promising that I actually found my enjoyment for the game again, but this has the potential to suck it all out once more.
    I was never a fan of dungeon DLCs anyway and only bought them when there was a discount on crowns - Dragonbones being the only exception. If this change goes live, chances are that I'll not purchase Wrathstone on launch, possibly even never. Resubbing to play through it is also unlikely at this rate.

PLEASE ZOS, DO NOT GO REPLACE THE SNEAK RADIUS REDUCTION WITH SOMETHING NOBODY WANTS!
    Edited by Ratzkifal on February 21, 2019 4:11PM
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
  • anadandy
    anadandy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From initial racial balance notes:
    A quick note on why we changed the Stealthy passive: Previously this passive was shared between Khajiit and Wood Elf, and didn’t help them feel distinct enough from each other.
    So Wood Elf drew the short straw, I guess. But was the removal of the stealth reduction really necessary to make the two races distinct? Aren't the rest of the changes, along with the renames, distinctive enough without gutting Bosmer identity? Is it so game breaking to revert Stealth Detection back to Stealth Reduction and give players options?
    Additionally, since Sneaking isn’t a universal mechanic to the game (many enemies in Tamriel can’t be bothered sneaking about!), we wanted to take away some of the focus from the passive and build that into their other passives instead.
    Except they didn't. They built it into Khajiit passives (Feline Ambush) but Bosmer got saddled with Stealth Detection which directly contradicts the "since sneaking isn't a universal mechanic" reason. Stealth detection is even less of a universal mechanic - they even admit it - nothing sneaks in PVE.

4.3.2 Patch notes:
    We heard your concerns of adding in a highly powerful movement speed bonus tied to Roll Dodging, as well as the performance of this passive in PvE versus PvP environments. We wanted players who are focused on damage to get a small boost out of this in situations where they dodge attacks, without adding more passive power to the race.
    This is mostly ok, even if I personally dislike the roll dodge passive. It does not, however, address the concerns raised about Stealth Detection and its lack of utility outside of PVP. They mention looking at the roll dodge in these terms, so why was the problem with Stealth Detection ignored? How would having stealth reduction "add more passive power"?

Class rep meeting notes:
    Reps specifically asked about the community’s concern that bosmers are trading stealth for different buffs. We were told that ZOS saw these concerns and would work on creating more options/systems for stealth gameplay outside of race. With these additions, stealth gameplay will open up to more players, and also allow bosmers to have the nice combat buff will still having avenues to be as stealthy as before.
    First - I want to be clear that my frustration to the response is in no way directed at the class reps. That said, this response is essentially a non-answer. If some greater plan is coming for stealth, why did only Bosmer get the hammer? Why not remove it from both races (not advocating this) or leave it until the solution is ready?

You know what else would allow Bosmer to have the nice combat buff while still having avenues to be as stealthy as before? Change stealth detection back to the stealth radius bonus - boom, done.

Those are just the official remarks. Others I have heard are:

"Players who don't use stealth felt this was a useless passive"
    Fair enough. But the solution is to replace it with something even more useless? And what, people who did find it useful can pound sand unless they PVP? Wouldn't the more equitable solution have been to add the roll dodge passive and leave the stealth reduction alone? That way people who find it useful are happy and people who don't get a damage/movement buff and are also happy. Win-win, right?

"Stealth is only used by gankers"
    Yeah ok - I'll play along. So you remove stealth from Bosmer to stop gankers. Do people honestly think the die-hard gankers won't just switch to a Khajiit? What about other races wearing those oft-touted stealth sets? Gankers gonna gank - removing stealth reduction from Bosmer is not going to stop that.

TL;DR - I'm still feeding that elephant that no one wants to talk about.
  • A_Silverius
    A_Silverius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stealth detection is only useful in pvp, stealth radius is useful for both pve and pvp. Please keep our stealth radius thank you:) I very much enjoy thieving on my Bosmer. https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Bosmer#The_Rite_of_Theft
    All over Tamriel, theres a sudden spike in Bosmers getting caught for their crimes. A sad day indeed... #FightForYourRite Give Bosmers back our stealth!
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Left4Daud wrote: »
    If the Bosmer stealth nerf goes live it will show either an absolutely incredible disconnect (or just plain disregard) by ZOS to their players. Neither of which are traits you would look for when contemplating supporting a developer.

Well, they’re making it easier and easier for me to keep my sub off the table and ignore future purchases (don’t have Summerset or Elsweyr). I won’t quit over this, no, but I will continue to stress their servers and not give them any more money for the far forseeable future.

I’m not sure they even considered it. They are counting on Khajiits to make up any losses from other areas. It’s the Khajiit expansion after all
  • Everstorm
    Everstorm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    In itself this nerf wouldn't cause me to quit but together with the EU-PC performance, the locking of story lines behind group content and the gutting of refreshing path it might just break the camel's back.
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ratzkifal wrote: »
    After the Murkmire drama I did not resub and had my enjoyment of the game so thoroughly drained that I never even set foot into the zone up to this day. I didn't buy the DLC, but I did get it from the rewards anyway.
    The season of the Dragon looked so promising that I actually found my enjoyment for the game again, but this has the potential to suck it all out once more.
    I was never a fan of dungeon DLCs anyway and only bought them when there was a discount on crowns - Dragonbones being the only exception. If this change goes live, chances are that I'll not purchase Wrathstone on launch, possibly even never. Resubbing to play through it is also unlikely at this rate.

PLEASE ZOS, DO NOT GO REPLACE THE SNEAK RADIUS REDUCTION WITH SOMETHING NOBODY WANTS!

Only one class rep, Joy Division, mentioned it.

Even something as simple as this would go a long way to building good will and... nothing.
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wouldn't surprise me if they spin this later for cash.

"We've heard the massive outcry over the gutting of the Bosmer core values, and we've reversed our decision.... but only for those who prepurchase the Elsweyr expansion! Stealth will be restored to those Bosmer brave enough to have access to the Necromancer class.... and dragons! And, for a limited time only, add an Eso Plus subscription, and double your sneak radius detection in Cyrodiil and Battlegrounds!"
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • Uryel
    Uryel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    5 subs were cancelled in my house this morning, since it appears this is gonna go live.
    My niece only plays sneaky wood elves so she is done. My nephew only subs to play the game with his wife so if shes gone he is gone.
    My son subs so he can play the game with his old man and i quit my 2 subs because i am not paying to have my favorite race gutted, so he quit too. 5 subs gone in my house alone, because someone at zos decided wood elves shouldnt be sneaky. None of us even cared about the nerfs, that happens in every mmo, but making cats the only race with a real stealth passive was just too much.

I feel sorry for you, mate, but I can relate, on a smaller scale. +1 awesome.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Incidentally, if you're wanting to make any character stealthy, my recomendation would be either Night Mother's Embrace (the Night Mother drop set, not the crafted one), and either Darkstride, Night Terror (for reduced detection radius), or Night's Silence (for full movement in stealth).

Did you seriously think that somebody who makes as much of a fuss about stealthiness as I do didn't know that?

Yes.
  • teladoy
    teladoy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the stealth detection is OP but if you think lore is more important...
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    teladoy wrote: »

Have you tested it? It’s not stealth suppression like Magelight. It’s not against invisible enemies like nb’s Cloak. It’s only 3 meters which is melee range (jabs is 8x6 meters by comparison, Incap is 5 meters)
    Edited by max_only on February 22, 2019 4:41PM
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That's kinda the problem; it's not.

In PvP it's incredibly potent, situationally, but in PvE it's meaningless.

So, we have a major racial passive that's PvP only. I'm not wild about that. There have always been races that did better in PvP or PvE, and of course, the Breton's minor racial passive is PvP only, but having a major passive be PvP only is an issue.
  • Girl_Number8
    Girl_Number8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Best to use sets and vampy if you want to go all out. Though for PvE sets will give you great stealth for the thief playstyle. :)

Unfortunately a lot of people on the forums have 1 or 2 mains and don't really care about every other race or class. This is what nerf threads create and always will. Concentrating on nice buffs to keep things on par with each other would be better but people are salty. This happens every dlc.
  • Cundu_Ertur
    Cundu_Ertur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Yep, stealth detection is massively OP; it's why the way of air sets are selling for mountains of gold from the guild traders. But giving up this incredible, overwhelmingly useful, and powerful ability is a sacrifice we are willing to make for the sake of being consistent with lore. We are just that magnanimous.
    Taking stealth away from the Bosmer is like taking magic away from the Altmer, making Nords allergic to mead, or making Orcs pretty.
This discussion has been closed.