Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Official Discussion Thread for Crown Crates

• VerboseQuips
    VerboseQuips
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It seems like a lot of people are angry about the drop chance of the cool stuff in crown crates. Why not also have some daily quests that reward crown crates? It makes it so people who are angry about earning items only from buying the crates can play the game to also earn them but if they cannot earn wait to get that really cool mount they will still buy them. it makes it so the amount of gems you now get on pts feels more reasonable and people cant complain about having exclusive items in the crown crates.

Dungeon crawler network community member

~esoendgame

In theory, to begin with, khajiit she sees the appeal of the idea and possibly it is the only sort of compromise we might ever possibly get on these boxes of horror.

However this one she has reservations about the crates being given away in any form - either as quest rewards or to ESO plus payers. The reason for this is that this one she does not want any player to get used to the crates or start getting used the buzz of opening them and then feel they just can't do without more of the same.

Give a few sweeties away for free and they start craving more of the same yes? A few little treats to draw them closer.

It is what the dealers of dubious substances do to bring in long term business.

If you understand what khajiit she means here yes?

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws

And this is maybe why they are letting us "beta-test" a feature that is already, obviously, virtually bug free and more polished and better executed than quite a number of in-game features that are already on live.

It will be harder for those who had a storm wolf on test to lose it on live, won't it?
    My characters:
    Main and crafter: A Breton magicka templar named Erwann Sorril
    Alt 1: A Bosmer sorcerer named Tuuneleg
    Alt 2: An Imperial dragonknight named Gaius Tullius Hastifer
    Alt 3: An Argonian vampire/nightblade named Observe-le-Xanmeer
    Alt 4: A Nord werewolf/dragonknight named Sigurd Hurlevent
    Alt 5: A Breton sorcerer named Gilian Sorril (he's Erwann's younger brother)
    Alt 6: A Khajiit nightblade named Jolan-dar
    Alt 7: A Nord warden named Sigurmar Hurlevent (he's Sigurd's younger brother)
    Alt 8: An Altmer templar named Oioriel
    Alt 9: An Argonian stamina Warden named Danse-avec-les-Rainettes
    Alt 10: A Redguard templar named Neemokh af-Corelanya
    Alt 11: A Nord stamina sorcerer named Olga Écoute-Vent
    Alt 12: A Breton magicka Warden named Ian Sorril
    Alt 13: A Dunmer magicka necromancer named Ilmoran Dren
    Alt 14: An Orc stamina necromancer named Norgol gro-Borziel
    Alt 15: A Nord magicka necromancer named Thorgen Givresang
    Alt 16: An Imperial magicka dragonknight named Publius Valeirus Hastifer (Just call him "Valerio" - he's Gaius younger troublemaker of a brother)
    Main in NA (For collaborative events): A Breton magicka nightblade named Titouan Sorril (long-lost brother of Erwann and Gilian)
  • Khenarthi
    Khenarthi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It seems like a lot of people are angry about the drop chance of the cool stuff in crown crates. Why not also have some daily quests that reward crown crates? It makes it so people who are angry about earning items only from buying the crates can play the game to also earn them but if they cannot earn wait to get that really cool mount they will still buy them. it makes it so the amount of gems you now get on pts feels more reasonable and people cant complain about having exclusive items in the crown crates.

~esoendgame

In theory, to begin with, khajiit she sees the appeal of the idea and possibly it is the only sort of compromise we might ever possibly get on these boxes of horror.

However this one she has reservations about the crates being given away in any form - either as quest rewards or to ESO plus payers. The reason for this is that this one she does not want any player to get used to the crates or start getting used the buzz of opening them and then feel they just can't do without more of the same.

Give a few sweeties away for free and they start craving more of the same yes? A few little treats to draw them closer.

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws

i know exactly what you mean. i did read the article aggelos posted in our discord about "whales" who are people who spend enormous amounts of money on stuff like this because they become addicted. But i was thinking of another game that i like to play where there are lockboxes and you get them by leveling up or you can buy them.

Even with free crates, you'd get a ton of crap and unusable things you would not have bought in a million years. I got 4 days worth of free pts crates (to a value of over 20.000 crowns) and none of the things which dropped so far are things I'd use. I got the black dog pet some 5 times already...

Just don't make the low to mid tiers crate exclusive, and many people will complain much less - I know the exclusivity of the non- storm mount things is my one complaint about it.
    Edited by Khenarthi on September 23, 2016 1:17PM
    PC-EU
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I believe there are legal ramifications to allowing something they charge real money for to drop for 'free.' (Not ILLEGAL necessarily, just different laws than only selling the thing.) Hence the habit of other games that drop Crate-equivalents in the game to then have a key you have to buy to open them. I don't believe that's something they can therefore swap on a whim, although someone with more experience in these things may correct me on that.

More practically anything that can be farmed, will be farmed, and if we've taught Zenimax nothing else we've definitely taught them that. :p
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works
  • Theryl
    Theryl
    ✭✭✭
    After reading this thread, I think I should have invested in tinfoil futures.

Opened a round of crates last night and got pretty lucky - atronach guar, red wolf mount and pet, and a hat. The problem is, the only one of those that I'd ever use is the hat (and maybe the red wolf puppy.) Aside from that I got stacks of consumables I don't need, a couple of body modifications for races I don't play, and 10 gems from duplicates.

I don't see the value proposition. The consumables are essentially useless to anyone with a provisioner or alchemist. The hat is nice, but I wouldn't spend 5000 crowns on it. And the gem conversion ratio is too poor to be much use.

In the other MMOs I've played, loot crates are either a point sink for long term/lifetime subscribers who don't have anything better to buy with their points or offer a way to sell/buy/trade putting unwanted items using the auction house. The current system doesn't offer either of those options. As currently implemented, the Crown Crate system doesn't offer any value to me.
  • cjthibs
    cjthibs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Khenarthi wrote: »

~esoendgame

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws

i know exactly what you mean. i did read the article aggelos posted in our discord about "whales" who are people who spend enormous amounts of money on stuff like this because they become addicted. But i was thinking of another game that i like to play where there are lockboxes and you get them by leveling up or you can buy them.

Even with free crates, you'd get a ton of crap and unusable things you would not have bought in a million years. I got 4 days worth of free pts crates (to a value of over 20.000 crowns) and none of the things which dropped so far are thibgs I'd use.

Just don't make the low to mid tiers crate exclusive, and many people will complain much less - I know the exclusivity of the non- storm mount things is my one complaint about it.

Let's not forget these 'free' boxes would've cost you $160 or 15 months of an active subscription.
    ...and people already griped about the $15 per month subscription.

So..rather than release the mount at $40 like all the other ones, ZoS has decided that our satisfaction is worth much, much, much, more. Orders of magnitude more.

I personally don't care about mounts or most costumes. I'm willing to spend the crowns that came with my subscription, and only things that I can buy directly. I do not enjoy being hustled. And that's all that this is, a hustle. It's dangling a crack rock in front of a (supposed) crackhead who's going through withdrawals. You give them just enough of the drug, and encouragement, (With flashy graphics and a feeling that they're 'soooooooooo close.') while continually letting them drown until they've got no more cash to give you...and then just move on to the next crackhead.

Thanks ZoS. Thanks for valuing us so little.
    Anyone who partakes in this should have absolutely zero expectation of getting something they want. Zero. (Unless you want to just throw stupid amounts of money at them for cosmetic items.)

I'm not going to say anything else on this matter except that it's vile, dishonest, and it shows that ZoS really doesn't give two poops about how we want to play, nor do they value us as customers. Instead we are addicts looking for a fix, ripe for exploitation.
  • VerboseQuips
    VerboseQuips
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_RyanM wrote: »
    We have had to recently remove several posts from this thread that were in violation of our forum rules. Bashing comments and conspiracy theories have no place on the ESO Comunity Forums. Please try to keep your posts civil and constructive.

I think that a lack of clear and reliable official communication creates a fertile ground for undesirable conspiracy theories...
    My characters:
    Main and crafter: A Breton magicka templar named Erwann Sorril
    Alt 1: A Bosmer sorcerer named Tuuneleg
    Alt 2: An Imperial dragonknight named Gaius Tullius Hastifer
    Alt 3: An Argonian vampire/nightblade named Observe-le-Xanmeer
    Alt 4: A Nord werewolf/dragonknight named Sigurd Hurlevent
    Alt 5: A Breton sorcerer named Gilian Sorril (he's Erwann's younger brother)
    Alt 6: A Khajiit nightblade named Jolan-dar
    Alt 7: A Nord warden named Sigurmar Hurlevent (he's Sigurd's younger brother)
    Alt 8: An Altmer templar named Oioriel
    Alt 9: An Argonian stamina Warden named Danse-avec-les-Rainettes
    Alt 10: A Redguard templar named Neemokh af-Corelanya
    Alt 11: A Nord stamina sorcerer named Olga Écoute-Vent
    Alt 12: A Breton magicka Warden named Ian Sorril
    Alt 13: A Dunmer magicka necromancer named Ilmoran Dren
    Alt 14: An Orc stamina necromancer named Norgol gro-Borziel
    Alt 15: A Nord magicka necromancer named Thorgen Givresang
    Alt 16: An Imperial magicka dragonknight named Publius Valeirus Hastifer (Just call him "Valerio" - he's Gaius younger troublemaker of a brother)
    Main in NA (For collaborative events): A Breton magicka nightblade named Titouan Sorril (long-lost brother of Erwann and Gilian)
  • Sapeterson16ub17_ESO
    Sapeterson16ub17_ESO
    Soul Shriven

I believe there are legal ramifications to allowing something they charge real money for to drop for 'free.' (Not ILLEGAL necessarily, just different laws than only selling the thing.) Hence the habit of other games that drop Crate-equivalents in the game to then have a key you have to buy to open them. I don't believe that's something they can therefore swap on a whim, although someone with more experience in these things may correct me on that.

More practically anything that can be farmed, will be farmed, and if we've taught Zenimax nothing else we've definitely taught them that. :p

No they are allowed to do that. Look at games like overwatch. ( not sure if I'm allowed to mention another game kinda new to forums) but you can level up there and get crates or you can buy them. It's all cosmetics and let's be honest we will only get the crates for the cosmetic items currently. Just looking for a free way to also get crates for playing the game and now throw hundreds of dollars at something you might not get. And touché people here farm lol

~esoendgame
  • SantieClaws
    SantieClaws
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So someone at ZOS scratches their head, as if with a bad case of fleas, and asks how they can make more money?

Mystery boxes! Ah no but the boxes they rightly make people unhappy and feel a bit cheated yes - quite cheated indeed. So how to make money?

Khajiit will propose an alternative business model.

Keep making a great game, do great things like the festival quests that are social and the players enjoy. Players will come back, they will spend money in the store because the game makes them feel happy and they are getting something for their coin, their friends are happy and they feel happy in their investment in the world. They feel like value has been had for the money.

This sounds too simple perhaps? Too obvious? Well sometimes the obvious it is true.

It is all about the happiness yes. Happiness equals long term spending. The idea of these crates does just the opposite.

Burn the crates, love the game, respect the players and you will have a successful business.

No need for the cloak, the dagger or the crown crate.

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws
    Shunrr's Skooma Oasis - The Movie. A housing video like no other ...
    Find it here - https://youtube.com/user/wenxue2222

Clan Claws - now recruiting khajiit and like minded others for parties, fishing and other khajiit stuff. Contact this one for an invite.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/
  • silvereyes
    silvereyes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Abeille wrote: »
    silvereyes wrote: »
    As a silent protest of the upcoming Crown Crates, I am eschewing all Crown Store mounts, pets, and cosmetics. From now on, I choose to ride only the ugliest in-game horse I can find. ;)

I love that horse :(

My crafter rides it since two weeks after launch or so.
    Sorry to offend. It's not a bad horse at all. I'm growing to like it more and more. It was the only mount I hadn't bought yet, though, so to me, it was the least of the 4.

There aren't any really ugly mounts to choose from in-game. I wish there were. If they had an ogrim or even a pink My Little Pony, I'd be riding it right now.
    Edited by silvereyes on September 23, 2016 1:57PM
  • silvereyes
    silvereyes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Mystery boxes! Ah no but the boxes they rightly make people unhappy and feel a bit cheated yes - quite cheated indeed.
    I predict a standard ZOS cheating response:
    • Ignore the problem for months or years, even with troves of youtube videos detailing the problem
    • Soft ban the crates from the store for 3 days
    • Make some small ninja changes to the servers
    • Bring the crates back and act as if the problem is solved
  • Caff32
    Caff32
    ✭✭✭✭
    I opened 26 more Crown Crates over the last two days, amounting to 10,400 Crowns (19,600 Crowns spent total in 4 days). Here’s the unappealing haul:

Consumables (49 Crate total):
    Tri-Resto Potions 45 (85)
    Warrior Elixirs 50 (110)
    Spellcaster Elixirs 35 (65)
    Survivor Elixirs 25 (80)
    Invisibility Potions 60 (80)
    Lethal Poisons 175 (425)
    6 Mimic Stones (10)
    4 Riding Speed Lesson (5)
    4 Riding Capacity Lesson (5)
    1 Riding Stamina Lesson (1)
    2 Experience Scroll (3)
    2 Crown Repair Kit (5)
    3 Crown Meal (4)
    4 Crown Drinks (6)
    2 SOUL GEMS !?!?!?!?!

Non-Consumables:
    Mind Shriven Horse
    Tangerine Dragonfrog Pet
    Feathered Cap
    Brilliance Robes
    Clouded Senche Mount
    Storm Atro Aura Momento
    Helstrom Lizard Pet

Duplicate Items = 128 Gems (182 Gem total)

Only items I care about: Clouded Senche Mount & Storm Atro Camel (but it's still a camel!)

So I've spent a grand total of 19,600 Crowns and received 3 mounts and a bunch of fashion collectibles/pets that I don't need or want, and so many consumables that I REALLY don't need or want. The soul gems are the biggest troll however.

This system is so broken. In essence, I spent 9,800 crowns for two mounts. I understand that I received more stuff than that but the overwhelming majority of stuff are consumables. I would use none of the items, momentos, or consumables. So it's really not worth my effort to spend that much money to get a mount, one of which I only mildly like (the camel).

Again, the easiest solution is to have an option to convert what we receive into gems instead of collecting it and to give more gems per item converted. Many more people would be interested in this system if those changes were made, IMO.
    Edited by Caff32 on September 23, 2016 2:52PM
  • Khenarthi
    Khenarthi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Caff32 wrote: »
    I opened 26 more Crown Crates over the last two days, amounting to 10,400 Crowns (19,600 Crowns spent total in 4 days). Here’s the unappealing haul:

Consumables (49 Crate total):
    Tri-Resto Potions 45 (85)
    Warrior Elixirs 50 (110)
    Spellcaster Elixirs 35 (65)
    Survivor Elixirs 25 (80)
    Invisibility Potions 60 (80)
    Lethal Poisons 175 (425)
    6 Mimic Stones (10)
    4 Riding Speed Lesson (5)
    4 Riding Capacity Lesson (5)
    1 Riding Stamina Lesson (1)
    2 Experience Scroll (3)
    2 Crown Repair Kit (5)
    3 Crown Meal (4)
    4 Crown Drinks (6)
    2 SOUL GEMS !?!?!?!?!

Non-Consumables:
    Mind Shriven Horse
    Tangerine Dragonfrog Pet
    Feathered Cap
    Brilliance Robes
    Clouded Senche Mount
    Storm Atro Aura Momento
    Helstrom Lizard Pet

Duplicate Items = 128 Gems (182 Gem total)

Only items I care about: Clouded Senche Mount & Storm Atro Camel (but it's still a camel!)

So I've spent a grand total of 19,600 Crowns and received 3 mounts and a bunch of fashion collectibles/pets that I don't need or want, and so many consumables that I REALLY don't need or want. The soul gems are the biggest troll however.

This system is so broken. In essence, I spent 9,800 crowns for two mounts. I understand that I received more stuff than that but the overwhelming majority of stuff are consumables. I would use none of the items, momentos, or consumables. So it's really not worth my effort to spend that much money to get a mount, one of which I only mildly like (the camel).

Again, the easiest solution is to have an option to convert what we receive into gems instead of collecting it and to give more gems per item converted. Many more people would be interested in this system if those changes were made, IMO.

I could get onboard with this: if all unwanted items could be converted to gems, effectively by buying a crate for 400 crowns I'd get a number of gems plus a chance of getting something I'd actually keep. One would need to know how many gems per crate though, because I'm not still convinced of the value for money of a crate being equal to, say, 20 gems... for either a clouded senche mount or the purple nixad which cost 100 gems we'd need 5 crates which cost 2000 crowns (ok for a mount, but over the top for a pet).
    PC-EU
  • silvereyes
    silvereyes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The crown crates are trying to turn the crown store into a collectible card game.... Magic: The Gathering works similarly. Mana cards = trash consumables. Packs = black boxes with RNG determining which cards you get.
    One thing I'd like to point out to ZOS is that MTG boosters come in packs of 8-16 for less than the cost of crown crates and have guaranteed slots for uncommon and rare items. Food for thought if you are following that model.
    Edited by silvereyes on September 23, 2016 3:19PM
  • Slurg
    Slurg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The crown crates are trying to turn the crown store into a collectible card game.... Magic: The Gathering works similarly. Mana cards = trash consumables. Packs = black boxes with RNG determining which cards you get.
    One thing I'd like to point out to ZOS is that MTG boosters come in packs of 8-16 for less than the cost of crown crates and have guaranteed slots for uncommon and rare items. Food for thought if you are following that model.

If they were interested in following that model you'd be able to sell or trade the cards you didn't want for ones you did.
    Happy All the Holidays To You and Yours!
    Remembering better days of less RNG in all the things.
  • manavortex
    manavortex
    ✭✭✭✭
    Keep making a great game, do great things like the festival quests that are social and the players enjoy. Players will come back, they will spend money in the store because the game makes them feel happy and they are getting something for their coin, their friends are happy and they feel happy in their investment in the world. They feel like value has been had for the money.

I really like this alternative business model. It was what kept me giving ZOS money, happily.
    I've cancelled both of my subs for now. Will not leave the game, but they're not going to get another euro from me as long as they keep this up.
    Stop Zanil Theran's sinister plot to exterminate bank space! Give ESO+ subscribers a virtual Furniture Bag!
  • phreatophile
    phreatophile
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Khenarthi wrote: »
    I could get onboard with this: if all unwanted items could be converted to gems, effectively by buying a crate for 400 crowns I'd get a number of gems plus a chance of getting something I'd actually keep. One would need to know how many gems per crate though, because I'm not still convinced of the value for money of a crate being equal to, say, 20 gems... for either a clouded senche mount or the purple nixad which cost 100 gems we'd need 5 crates which cost 2000 crowns (ok for a mount, but over the top for a pet).

The problem we have here is that spending an obscene amount of real money for a mount or pet compared to honest crown store sales we have now isn't a bug or a flaw it's an intended feature.

It's baked into the system, it's the reason for the system. ZOS is saying that the 2500cr ($18.18US) for the Kagouti is not enough money for a mount, they want more and they know we aren't likely to pay more in an upfront and honest way.

If crown crates are altered to the point where they are a good value instead of a ripoff, then they don't serve their intended purpose. We will be thrown a couple bones in a few days to a week but nothing with any meat on it.

If the average cost of an apex mount can even be computed with such a small sample size, I would estimate that given the few people who will get one on the first or first few tries (400cr - 1600cr) and the few that will have to slog their way there accumulating gems (45,000+cr) and given a slant away from the lower numbers for acquiring items the first time for later dupe gems, we are looking at something in the neighborhood of 25,000cr avg for a desired mount. That's $180 US or 10X what they cost now. It's an average, half will have worse results. If they make a bunch of improvements and get the average cost down to 10,000cr it's still and enormous ripoff.

All the various schemes we keep suggesting, such as changing gem conversion rate, converting garbage potions to gems, lowering the cost of the crates to make this less of a ripoff miss the central point: this is a ripoff by design.
  • wayfarerx
    wayfarerx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    All the various schemes we keep suggesting, such as changing gem conversion rate, converting garbage potions to gems, lowering the cost of the crates to make this less of a ripoff miss the central point: this is a ripoff by design.

This is the salient point: ZOS is not going to be changing this system so that it becomes fair, there is no compelling reason to. The Apex tier mounts effectively cost hundreds of dollars, full stop. You might get one from your first crate, you might never get one in a hundred crates, but amortized over the entire population of whales the cost of crown crate collectables are 10x the cost they would have in the crown store.

The crates, the cards, the RNG, Pacrooti... all of it is smoke and mirrors meant to obscure the actual price of these items, nothing more.
    @wayfarerx - PC / North America / Aldmeri Dominion
  • Merlight
    Merlight
    ✭✭✭✭✭

As we say in Böhmen: das ist wenig. There's more money to be made off misery than happiness.

Just found this: http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/821/feature/11112/All-About-the-Crown-Crates-Coming-in-One-Tamriel.html
    We are committed to keeping the game fresh and interesting for players for the life of the game, so we will add new systems from time to time – Crown Crates is an example of this.

One does not keep the game fresh and interesting for players by adding systems that are rotten and disgusting.
    EU ‣ Wabbajack nostalgic ‣ Blackwater Blade defender ‣ Kyne wanderer
    The offspring of the root of all evil in ESO by DeanTheCat
    Why ESO needs a monthly subscription
    When an MMO is designed around a revenue model rather than around fun, it doesn’t have a long-term future.Richard A. Bartle
    Their idea of transparent, at least when it comes to communication, bears a striking resemblance to a block of coal.lordrichter
    ... in the balance of power between the accountants and marketing types against the artists, developers and those who generally want to build and run a good game then that balance needs to always be in favour of the latter - because the former will drag the game into the ground for every last bean they can squeeze out of it.Santie Claws
  • Vrath
    Vrath
    ✭✭✭
    The Crown Crates they are not making one feel like they are getting value for the price they paid. This is an issue that needs to be addressed. Consumables that are junk does not represent value to most players; that is the truth in addition to the issue of storing them. Players will end up destroying them or not buying crown crates due to this. Something needs to be done about this if these are to have any chance of being successful with repeat buyers.

The key to the system is having the users feel like they are receiving value, which is what ZOS has failed to grasp it seems. If the experience is rewarding to the player they will then keep coming back for more and continue the revenue stream, which the current implementation is not.

Suggestions:
    1. Lower the cost of gem items or increase gem amount per duplicate - most will be using gems as their target as it is a visible goal, while hoping RNG might give them the drop they want. No questions asked this has to be done.
    2. Include Gems in the card drops something like 30 gem card, something that makes the player excited to receive.
    3. Create a Wildcard with a .001 drop rate, it is worth 500 gems or get any item card - make it rare, the golden ticket get whatever you want from this set.
    4. Do something about the common drops no one wants most of the consumables. Using something most people do not value at all will essentially guarantee that when the player has bad RNG run across multiple crates they will feel like they got screwed, cheated and will be less likely to come back to buy more. This will always happen some with RNG involved but if the common items have some value and/or use to players it lessens that sting. Otherwise this alone will turn players off to never make another purchase,
    5. Include Name Change, Appearance Change, Race Change - players value these and they can bank them. It might not excite a player but it is useful, useful is good.
    6. Think as players ZOS we've seen you playing the game, would you as players purchase these crates as they currently stand? Find the middle ground of what makes a player feel like they received value before releasing these.
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Hi everyone, here’s where we are with Crown Crates:

We put systems on the PTS for player feedback for a reason – we have sifted (and continue to analyze) your feedback on Crown Crates, and as such, we’re going to make at least the following changes to the system before it goes live later this year:
    • We are working to change the way the system works to ensure that you get higher tiered items more often.
    • We will allow you to convert unwanted Crown Crate consumables into Crown Gems. This way, you won’t be stuck with consumables you may not want, and you will also have more Gems to purchase the items that you do want.
    • We will also take another look at Crown Crate potions, food, XP scrolls, etc. with an eye towards boosting their effectiveness and/or duration. This may entail us adding new recipes to allow crafters to make similar items.
    We may well find other changes we want to make as well, and will let everyone know what we have done when this initial round of changes are in and can test them internally.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ZOS_RyanM wrote: »
    We have had to recently remove several posts from this thread that were in violation of our forum rules. Bashing comments and conspiracy theories have no place on the ESO Comunity Forums. Please try to keep your posts civil and constructive.

You know, @ZOS_RyanM , the conspiracy theories aren't really all that far fetched, and they are not limited to this thread. The longer no official dev type person comments the more those conspiracy theories are going to spread and grow. From a different thread, different forum, different posters involved:

[quote/]I only buy the limited time items I would like to have. Poll results show most people do the same.

I guess that's not enough since they're going to start hiding exclusive items in the crown crates to try to make people buy them all even if they only want certain ones.
    [/quote]

No matter who is responsible, or who started these rngesus crates, *someone* should be getting the general feeling that more than just one or two people are not happy with this. Some are going to quit subbing, or even quit the game over it. From the threads and posts on the forums, no one has any issue with buying items outright, price notwithstanding. Some items might be considered priced too high, however it is your choice to decide whether you want the item or not. As opposed to spending hundreds of dollars more than the item would cost you outright, overpriced or not. I have zero chance realistically of getting the clouded leopard mount, or the leopard leopard mount. The black maned lion is in the crates, too, I think.

I've been subbed since early access. I've got the tiger reward. I'm subbed until the 15th. I thought after the crafting bag this wasn't going to be heading down the free to play cash grab route. However, after all the posts in the one thread in the general forum and the one in the pts forum with no official comment from a dev, this is going nowhere. At this point I have no expectations that any new worthwhile mounts will show up in the crown store to buy outright. Or costumes, either, really. You might be able to buy the house in-game, but the key to get in will be in a gamble box. Want the neat furniture or tapestry for your house? Pray for the blessing of rngesus.
  • Moloch1514
    Moloch1514
    ✭✭✭✭✭

We put systems on the PTS for player feedback for a reason – we have sifted (and continue to analyze) your feedback on Crown Crates, and as such, we’re going to make at least the following changes to the system before it goes live later this year:
    • We are working to change the way the system works to ensure that you get higher tiered items more often.
    • We will allow you to convert unwanted Crown Crate consumables into Crown Gems. This way, you won’t be stuck with consumables you may not want, and you will also have more Gems to purchase the items that you do want.
    • We will also take another look at Crown Crate potions, food, XP scrolls, etc. with an eye towards boosting their effectiveness and/or duration. This may entail us adding new recipes to allow crafters to make similar items.
    We may well find other changes we want to make as well, and will let everyone know what we have done when this initial round of changes are in and can test them internally.

Thanks @ZOS_GinaBruno! I like the 2nd bullet point!
    PC-NA
  • hrothbern
    hrothbern
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope the size of those steps return enough Crown Gems to make it viable

Consider adding trading cards between players as well....
    like, long time ago for my kids, Pokemon cards
    "I still do not understand why I followed the advice of Captain Rana to bring the villagers of Bleakrock into safety. We should have fought for our village and not have backed down, with our tail between our legs. Now my home village is in shambles, the houses burning, the invaders feasting.I swear every day to Shor that after Molag Bal has been defeated, I will hunt down the invaders and restore peace in Bleakrock and drink my mead with my friends at the market place".PC-EU
  • cjthibs
    cjthibs
    ✭✭✭✭✭

-snip-

Gina,
    I know it isn't your responsibility to make these decisions, and I hope you don't think all of this hate here is directed at you, it's not.

But, please, please, please, can you try and relay to the higher-ups who may or may not be watching this that practically none of their customers want this system?
    Tell them that we're going on 150 pages of people hating this idea with very little support for it?
    The majority of us don't have a problem opening our wallets, but gambling with our real-world money is something we will not support. We've been tricked in the past by other games, and we -really- don't want to have that same experience in this game.
  • wayfarerx
    wayfarerx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Thank you for responding Gina, we need more input from ZOS on highly controversial topics like this.
    While a good step, failing to publish the actual drop rates means this will forever be less reliable than gambling on a slot machine, and those are about the worst of the worst when it comes to transparency in gambling.
    I'm genuinely surprised that you are considering this, it's a good step in at least trying to make deterministic guess about what a crown crate item will really cost. I worry though because...
    Ah, here there be dragons. You guys have put yourself in a bit of a catch-22 here. Crown consumables need to be less desirable than in-game ones to avoid being pay-to-win... but if they are completely undesirable then they are nothing but stand-ins for the gems you get for refunding them. Tread carefully here.
    #SavePacrooti please.

@wayfarerx - PC / North America / Aldmeri Dominion
  • Lumenn
    Lumenn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wayfarerx wrote: »

Thank you for responding Gina, we need more input from ZOS on highly controversial topics like this.
    While a good step, failing to publish the actual drop rates means this will forever be less reliable than gambling on a slot machine, and those are about the worst of the worst when it comes to transparency in gambling.
    I'm genuinely surprised that you are considering this, it's a good step in at least trying to make deterministic guess about what a crown crate item will really cost. I worry though because...
    Ah, here there be dragons. You guys have put yourself in a bit of a catch-22 here. Crown consumables need to be less desirable than in-game ones to avoid being pay-to-win... but if they are completely undesirable then they are nothing but stand-ins for the gems you get for refunding them. Tread carefully here.
    #SavePacrooti please.

Simple solution to the "dragons". They create better recipes, but drop rates are absurdly low. They EXIST for crafters, but it's so rare the suped potions etc are a plus. Same with other consumables in or added to the crates(i.e. crafting mats become more common in gambling crates than actually drop in the game....) It's the frst concern I have with this anyway....
    Edited by Lumenn on September 23, 2016 5:20PM
  • jedtb16_ESO
    jedtb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

new recipes you say?

dare i say i now feel i'm being bribed?

#completistprovisioner
  • Hymzir
    Hymzir
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Usually this kind of response to unhappy feedback would warrant an awesome, but the whole notion of Crown Crates is such a shameful idea, that there is no way to make me feel positive about anything relating to them.

Anyway, as to the planned changes... Well, better, but no-where near good enough. Two key things will be required for the system to be in any way acceptable at all: You need to have an option to convert unwanted collectables to gems along with all the useless consumables. Take for example the Argonian specific hairdos and stuff - I have no Argonian characters, nor will I ever be rolling up one. Therefore, I have absolutely no use for any Argonian specific thing. There has to be an option to change all cards to gems.

The second is that the gems you get from converted cards must be at least half of what it is listed for in the store. So a card that costs 16 gems must be convertable to 8 gems. A card that costs 100 gems must be redeemable for at least 50 gems. That way, when you get a card you don't want, but want a card of similar rarity, you at least got half of that card. And that is almost palatable.
    Edited by Hymzir on September 23, 2016 4:49PM
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I appreciate that Gina is listening . However my criticism of these is not positive at all and I don't won't to be negative . For those of Us that do not wish to gamble , I am in hopes that not all new mounts and cosmetics will be stuck in these boxes . That would frustrate me and would keep me away from the crown store . Please consider keeping some exclusive mounts and cosmetics for direct purchasing Mrs Bruno .
  • MarkusLiberty
    MarkusLiberty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm willing to guess that the only Crown Box exclusive are the themed mounts collections. Several of the new mounts and pets found in these boxes will likely be releassed in the weeks prior to the crates, like the new Lion.

At least the top tire mounts are unique, and not just retextures. While I wont be aiming for those specifically, I would still love to get one.

And great update, this is starting to sound a bit more manageable
    *Special Snowflake*