The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Official Discussion Thread for Crown Crates

• silvereyes
    silvereyes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The crown crates are trying to turn the crown store into a collectible card game. The card-dealer animation isn't exactly subtle about this point.

If you think about it, Magic: The Gathering works similarly. Mana cards = trash consumables. Packs = black boxes with RNG determining which cards you get.

The main difference is that Magic has always been P2W. The cards you gather affect the core game-play. That is why people are willing to drop hundreds of dollars into it, building the perfect deck.

But this model just won't work for cosmetics, for several reasons.
    • Cosmetics are focused on personalization
    • RNG is the opposite of personalization
    • Receiving a cosmetic item that doesn't meet a player's fickle definition of "desirable" is as worthless in the player's view as a trash consumable. Maybe even worse, since it reinforces a perception that there is nothing worthwhile in the loot table.
    • Since cosmetics don't affect core game-play, they are much more price-sensitive. Paying more than about $60 for any cosmetic is going to be unacceptable to >90% of players.

The way I see it, any company that invests as much polish into such a system falls into one of two categories:
    • Completely clueless - there's plenty of evidence that ZOS falls into this category; OR
    • Fully understand what they are doing, and don't care if people buy the crates now, because it's not their end-game. Their end-game is putting in non-cosmetics: - P2W - elevating the crates to a core game-play mechanic that isn't as price-sensitive.

I've been very forgiving / trusting / naive about the crown store up until this point, but my cynical side is starting to get the feeling that the doomsayers were right all along, and ZOS falls into the latter category.

I really hope I'm wrong and ZOS is just clueless. If that's the case, sales will be disappointing, and they'll have to revamp. If that is the case, it means that they haven't necessarily given up on the "do no harm" mantra, so there may still be hope.
    Edited by silvereyes on September 22, 2016 12:38PM
  • Epona222
    Epona222
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    There are 2 mounts, 3 pets, and a hat that I would buy in direct purchase from the crown store as and when they were released - that's what, around 10,000 crowns all in all. I will not be gambling for those items (I am testing it out on the PTS, and out of 13 crates purchased so far, didn't get a single one of the items I wanted and have a pitiful 23 gems for duplicate items plus a few consumables that I have absolutely no use for). I am not stupid enough to spend actual money on this.

If this is implemented where these things are crate-exclusive items, zeni will have lost themselves 10k crowns from me, and I daresay I am not alone.

I think the atronach mounts are horrible btw.
    Edited by Epona222 on September 22, 2016 12:46PM
    GM - Ghost Sea Trading Co - NA PC

Epona was a Romano-Celtic goddess dating back to around 1800 to 2000 years before computer games were invented.
  • Cously
    Cously
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Epona222 wrote: »
    There are 2 mounts, 3 pets, and a hat that I would buy in direct purchase from the crown store as and when they were released - that's what, around 10,000 crowns all in all. I will not be gambling for those items (I am testing it out on the PTS, and out of 13 crates purchased so far, didn't get a single one of the items I wanted and have a pitiful 23 gems for duplicate items plus a few consumables that I have absolutely no use for). I am not stupid enough to spend actual money on this.

If this is implemented where these things are crate-exclusive items, zeni will have lost themselves 10k crowns from me, and I daresay I am not alone.

I think the atronach mounts are horrible btw.

You are not alone. I'll throw my money on fluffy all day long if I know what I'm getting.
  • ClockworkArc
    ClockworkArc
    ✭✭✭
    I messed around with crates today and here's my feedback.

For spending 5000 crowns I didn't feel I obtained anything I would really use (with the exception of one cool hat). I wouldn't spend $50 on a hat in real life.

That being said, in many ways, the quality of the crown crate rewards is quite high and I almost prefer the idea of crown crates to the actual store if a couple major modification were to be made.

1. Let us return any card we don't want. I'm never going to use those consumables. You can even add an element of RNG to it. Each card can have a different value of crown gems.

If it's a lame consumable, you get 1 gem PER potion/poison.

If it's a crown store exclusive utility item (mimic stone, xp scroll, riding lesson, respec scroll) you can get 3 crown gems per item.

If it's a cosmetic item of any kind you can get 5 crown gems for returning it.

If it's a pet, you get 7 for returning it.

If it's a mount you get 10 gems for returning it.

This would function in the same way to the current system except that you could return any item, even if you don't have it.

2. Please add race/appearance/name xhange tokens to either the cards or to the crown gem purchaseable rewards. If they were in thebcards they could be worth 15 gems to return.
    Edited by ClockworkArc on September 22, 2016 1:32PM
  • AdAstra
    AdAstra
    ✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno

I admit it has been a while since i've played PTS as i am not one who enjoys story spoilers. However, i do like testing systems and functionality and this is right up my alley. Originally i was appalled by the idea of a crate system but now after playing with this system a bit im actually fairly optimistic but ZOS YOU NEED TO LISTEN TO OUR FEEDBACK AND MAKE ADJUSTMENTS. Don't just let this thread go to waste. This system is either hated or tolerated. Wouldn't you rather have it loved with your players building anticipation to get their hands on it?

Q: Did you like/use the consumables you received from the Crown Crates?

A: - I think the crown mimic stones were the only consumables that i was excited to find. Most of the other items i would prefer to purchase from another player who put hard time into working on and leveling their crafts. I think adding too many to teh crown crates takes away from player interactions as i do not need to find other players to make me items if the ones i'm getting constantly are even remotely comparable. Even so, the ones that we get via the crate system are not comparable and cant be because then it would tip into buy to win. The system with consumables is inevitably flawed and considering how expensive it is to buy items with Gems anyhow it's seemingly useless unless you get more creative with what you are selling us. Nevertheless, the art design is good so you have that going for you.
    - Getting riding lessons is a fantastic idea but really annoying to get when all of my characters are maxed out. This is a great example of at least one item i should be able to sell back. It is literally useless. I see the value in the lesson and if i was a player without maxed riding on all of my characters i may feel differently but the fact is i am not and i am quite sure im not the only one who feels this way. please let us sell back at least some items or make a way for the game to allot me Gems for lessons i don't need.

Q: Do you have general feedback?

A: - I really like the design of the crown crate feature. The khajiit is a fun character and makes what could have been a dreadfully boring experience into something more engaging. I like the audio, voice acting, character design, card designs and animations. You guys knocked this stuff out of the park. It was an unexpected surprise, as was the first time i was dealt an extra card just for playing.
    - It is really easy to tell the rarity of the cards upon flipping so great job there as well. It definitely gives me that sort of a feeling when i open a pack of MTG cards.
    - I feel like after your cards are revealed you should be able to scan over the item and sell back what you don't want for Gems. When you scan over costumes, the button to equip them is there. The conceptual architecture is already there i think. If i could sell back items i do not want or need that would make this system something actually worth investing in.
    - The Gem prices are too high so if the sell back feature isn't put in those gem prices need the be lowered and/or you need to increase the amount we receive for getting doubles of an item we already own.
    - I also feel like there are maybe just too many consumables being thrown at me per crate. That ration needs to be adjusted as well in accordance to some of the other feedback i just provided.
    - I hope that some of these items will eventually be purchasable in the main crown store. Maybe not now but in the long run. For those players who don't have the income to gamble, they may have the patience to wait until it's released. The benefit to gamble to get it now will definitely have people purchasing crates but the idea that those of us who are cranky could eventually get it flat out without gimmicks later on would probably be pretty happy.
    - i love the new momentos and cant wait to see all the other ones you make over the years. It would be really cool to see you make them into usable emotes but either way they are cool as long as i can slot them on my quick bar. I would just be able to macro the emote so this is why it would be nice to have a key command to use them once they are unlocked.
    - the hats with the goggles are my favorite! i've always wanted glasses and goggles in this game so i cant wait to see what other versions of items like these you will create.

Thanks for taking the time to read this if you did
    Edited by AdAstra on September 22, 2016 2:47PM
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    After two days, I have 3 Storm Atronach mounts, horse, wolf, and guar. Also, a mind shriven horse and a few cool hats I would have bought directly.

I have the say, I am still not exicited or impressed with this system. I realize it's just luck. And even repeated on live, I'd still have spent more in a couple days than I would see myself spending in a season while this run of crates were available. That's more mounts than I can really manage among my characters. And so overall, I still don't feel there is value for me trying these gamble boxes. And more than that, I'm upset I can't just buy the items I do want.
    Edited by driosketch on September 22, 2016 1:42PM
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • silvereyes
    silvereyes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    To get a little philosophical, I find it interesting that people (not me) are willing to sink a ton of *time* into collecting RNG cosmetics in-game (e.g. soul shriven skin), but aren't willing to sink a ton of real-world *money* into attaining a potentially much larger collection of RNG cosmetics. I would argue that time is a more limited resource for most folks, and therefore *should* be more valuable.

Is it's because we don't like our jobs, so the time we spend earning money there seems more valuable than time playing a game we like? Or maybe it's that real-world money always seems like a higher short-term priority? Or is it because of a deep-seated fear of death that we avoid thinking about the limited nature of time?

Pondering....
  • SilentRaven1972
    SilentRaven1972
    ✭✭✭✭
    Though I will never purchase these crates on live, I've been opening crates on PTS just to see how bad they are. I have to say, they are as bad (maybe a bit worse) as I thought they would be. Pacrooti's lines seem very skeevy. Reminds me of someone on the street trying to get you with the shell game (find the pea). Aside from a lot of yawning, sighing, throat clearing and bored/impatient humming...
    "Marvelous reward! Your tenacity is impressive!"
    "Will you try again? This could be your lucky day!"
    "Perseverance is a virtue, my friend"
    "Shall we try again?"
    "Time for a repeat performance?"

Many comments on "sparkly gems", including "Sparkly gems! Very sleek!". Like 5 gems is some kind of a big deal? And he sounds so skeevy saying this stuff!

I've been using both my accounts to see how this stuff goes, and since I'm on NA, these are "blank" accounts. I deleted all the extras on one account to be sure I could keep track. I'll list a sample from one of the accounts. Later I'll post a condensed list.

Account 2, day 1 (I didn't detail the first day)

2 Crown Fortified Meals
    4 Crown Refreshing Drinks
    30 Invisibility potions
    1 capacity lesson
    50 poisons
    4 mimic stones
    1 repair kit
    30 spellcaster pots
    40 survivor's pots
    5 tri-restoration pots
    20 warrior's pots

1 feathered cap
    1 fibonaccus hat
    1 wrestler's bur cut (duplicated X3, all female characters, so no use)
    1 arubic eye (I run mostly khajiit, so no use)
    1 azure circlet
    1 jawbone blades (no use)
    1 evening dress
    1 soul-shriven leather outfit
    1 soul-shriven ragged clothes
    1 shadow striping
    1 daedric scamp (X2)

Day 2

Crate 1

5 tri pots
    25 poison
    5 invis pots
    1 feathered cap (5 gems)

Crate 2

5 tri pots
    5 tri pots
    1 speed lesson
    1 soul shriven clothes (5 gems)

Crate 3

5 spellcaster pots
    5 tri pots
    1 soul gem
    1 soul shriven leather outfit (5 gems)

Crate 4

1 capacity lesson
    5 spellcaster pots
    25 poison
    1 jawbone blades (5 gems)

Crate 5

1 crown meal
    5 tri pots
    1 upright antler skullcap

Crate 6

5 survivor pots
    5 tri pots
    5 survivor pots
    1 evening dress (5 gems)
    1 high collared coin ball gown (bonus card)

Crate 7

5 spellcaster pots
    1 crown crate xp scroll
    5 warrior pots
    1 azure circlet (5 gems)

Crate 8

1 meal
    5 warrior pots
    5 spellcaster pots
    1 battlemage scout capt. uniform

Crate 9

5 warrior pots
    5 tri pots
    1 shornhelm shepherd
    1 roostertail frill

Crate 10

25 poison
    5 survivors pots
    5 survivors pots
    1 jawbone blade (5 gems)

Crate 11

25 poison
    5 tri pot
    1 meal

Crate 12

5 tri pots
    5 tri pots
    5 warrior pots
    1 helstrom lizard

Crate 13

5 invis. pots
    5 warrior pots
    5 invis. pots
    1 storm atronach aura

Most of these items, I don't want (or I would have bough them), or I have no use for, and never will have a use for. With 2 accounts and multiple characters, I certainly have no use for the consumables. I make my own. This entire thing is a huge mistake. I really do fear where it will lead.
    "Such is the nature of evil. Out there in the vast ignorance of the world, it festers and spreads. A shadow that grows in the dark. A sleepless malice as black as the oncoming wall of night. So it ever was, so will it always be. In time all foul things come forth." -Thranduil
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    driosketch wrote: »
    After two days, I have 3 Storm Atronach mounts, horse, wolf, and guar. Also, a mind shriven horse and a few cool hats I would have bought directly.

I have the say, I am still not exicited or impressed with this system. I realize it's just luck. And even repeated on live, I'd still have spent more in a couple days than I would see myself spending in a season while this run of crates were available. That's more mounts than I can really manage among my characters. And so overall, I still don't feel there is value for me trying these gamble boxes. And more than that, I'm upset I can't just buy the items I do want.

@driosketch Definitely just luck. After 2 days I still have not received a Legendary or Apex tier reward. I have 55 gems. So for 10,400 crowns I can afford the Purple Daggerback Pet.
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • vyndral13preub18_ESO
    vyndral13preub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    silvereyes wrote: »
    To get a little philosophical, I find it interesting that people (not me) are willing to sink a ton of *time* into collecting RNG cosmetics in-game (e.g. soul shriven skin), but aren't willing to sink a ton of real-world *money* into attaining a potentially much larger collection of RNG cosmetics. I would argue that time is a more limited resource for most folks, and therefore *should* be more valuable.

Is it's because we don't like our jobs, so the time we spend earning money there seems more valuable than time playing a game we like? Or maybe it's that real-world money always seems like a higher short-term priority? Or is it because of a deep-seated fear of death that we avoid thinking about the limited nature of time?

Pondering....

I wonder why there isnt a service where you could call a grocery store, pay them 3 to 4 times the cost of what you get, and just have them deliver whatever it is they feel like dropping off at your house.

I mean after all your time not having to shop is much more valuable then your money.
  • silvereyes
    silvereyes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I wonder why there isnt a service where you could call a grocery store, pay them 3 to 4 times the cost of what you get, and just have them deliver whatever it is they feel like dropping off at your house.

I mean after all your time not having to shop is much more valuable then your money.
    Heh. I get the point, but I think it's not an accurate comparison. Farming soul-shriven skins *is* RNG-based and takes a ton of time. You could theoretically never receive one, even if you farm every day for a month (I know someone who did this). It's much closer to the crown crate mechanics than it is to shopping at the supermarket.

Anyways, I'm not trying to justify the crates at all. I hate them. I'm just trying to ponder why the same people that are willing to tolerate a life-sucking RNG for the soul-shriven skins are not willing to tolerate RNG once it reaches into their real-world wallets (and sticks a pepperoni in them). :)
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Heh. I get the point, but I think it's not an accurate comparison. Farming soul-shriven skins *is* RNG-based and takes a ton of time. You could theoretically never receive one, even if you farm every day for a month (I know someone who did this). It's much closer to the crown crate mechanics than it is to shopping at the supermarket.

Anyways, I'm not trying to justify the crates at all. I hate them. I'm just trying to ponder why the same people that are willing to tolerate a life-sucking RNG for the soul-shriven skins are not willing to tolerate RNG once it reaches into their real-world wallets (and sticks a pepperoni in them). :)

@silvereyes The time spent on ESO doesn't put food on my table or pay for my wedding next summer. My hard earned cash does. And no, in this economy, I could not be at work during those ESO hours instead. ;) That's why. Also, actually PLAYING the game is enjoyable, not being told by an NPC you love to continue gambling because "maybe next time".
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • vyndral13preub18_ESO
    vyndral13preub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

For me it is a question of free time. If i see something in game I like, i will try to get it. What else would i be doing with my free time? Nothing. Watching Mr. Robot and trying to figure out why my head hurts most likely. So to me Im not missing anything. Since i have nothing else to spend my free time on at the moment.

There is always something else I could be spending my money on.
  • SantieClaws
    SantieClaws
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Khajiit she does not believe this is the real Pacrooti.

This one she thinks a daedric thingy holds him captive somewhere and uses his shape to do their nasty deeds.

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws
    Shunrr's Skooma Oasis - The Movie. A housing video like no other ...
    Find it here - https://youtube.com/user/wenxue2222

Clan Claws - now recruiting khajiit and like minded others for parties, fishing and other khajiit stuff. Contact this one for an invite.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/
  • Epona222
    Epona222
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

This one she thinks a daedric thingy holds him captive somewhere and uses his shape to do their nasty deeds.

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws

I didn't even realise it was supposed to be Pacrooti, or that he had anything to say, Zenimax haven't done subtitles for him.
    GM - Ghost Sea Trading Co - NA PC

Epona was a Romano-Celtic goddess dating back to around 1800 to 2000 years before computer games were invented.
  • Tavore1138
    Tavore1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    A few points:
    1. Tried this on PTS and my overall feeling was that I was partaking in some knock off of a cheesy facebook game from 5+ years ago...
    2. I bought all the old item,s I wanted when they were out, if I did not it is because I did not want them and I don't want them now either
    3. The drop rates are not announced so ZOS *could* actually tailor them to drop less frequently for people who have been known to spend more money - the lack of transparency makes this worse than playing a slot machine.
    4. No-one I know wants crown store consumables so why foist them on us at all?
    5. The Gems item just makes it more aimed at the addict - I just need X more dupes to get enough for my Horse. But that's 80 dupes per item at maybe 1 per crate max, so 80 crates... or 32,000 crowns... or £143.94 for 6 bundles. That's a lot for even a really cool mount.
    6. The equivalent of around £100 of crowns got me one drop that I might want - I will not be playing a non-transparent RNG system for real money.
    7. Even the giving you 5,500 crowns a day on the PTS could be argued to be a deliberate attempt to drive habits and get people hooked before the real launch - seems morally questionable to me...
    8. Overall the gambling micro-transactional nature of this is quite clearly aimed at snaring a certain type of people who are vulnerable to the 'just one more try' approach - when it's 99p in a phone app it is bad enough and leads some people into trouble - when it's in the 10s or 100s of pounds/euro/dollars it could be a real issue for some. As such I think ZOS are being really irresponsible.

The stupid thing for ZOS is that if they stuck these mounts in the store for 3-5k a pop even for a limited time of a couple of months I'd probably drop the cash... I have all mounts so far and most costumes so I'd almost certainly buy these BUT gambling on ZOS and their usual appalling rates of RNG on the off chance of getting an item I want while not even being able to get rid of the unwanted hats, pets and pots and other junk is a big no-no.

Clearly this is the product of the fevered money dreams of some soulless sociopathic marketing goon who should have been shut down hard the moment the idea was raised.

TL;DR I don't think this is a good idea and I will probably end up spending less money than if you'd just put things in the crown store.
    Edited by Tavore1138 on September 22, 2016 2:26PM
    GM - Malazan
    Raid Leader - Hungry Wolves
    Legio Mortuum
  • Yuls
    Yuls
    ✭✭✭✭

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws

Makes you wonder how they'll bring back Darien. Maybe Strip Poker for crowns.

PS: Stop blaming daedric thingys. Some things even daedra wouldn't touch. Like Crown crates. Or Khajiit.
  • SantieClaws
    SantieClaws
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yuls wrote: »
    Makes you wonder how they'll bring back Darien. Maybe Strip Poker for crowns.

Hmm now actually this one might throw a few crowns in the hat to see that ...

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws

(Note to the marketing department - this is a joke - just like your crates)

Shunrr's Skooma Oasis - The Movie. A housing video like no other ...
    Find it here - https://youtube.com/user/wenxue2222

Clan Claws - now recruiting khajiit and like minded others for parties, fishing and other khajiit stuff. Contact this one for an invite.

https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/
  • Abeille
    Abeille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Third day, time to open 13 more crates! That's 15600 total.

Now I have 128 gems. I got 3 collectibles I didn't have before, bringing it to a grand total of 19 collectibles.

Only one of them, which I got today, is something that I would use, that being the Belly Dancer Veil. Everything else I got on the crates so far I either would never use or already have on live (only one collectible on this category, the Palomino Horse).
    Just so that everyone knows, my Altmer still can't have black hair. About a dozen of Altmer NPCs in the game have black hair. Just saying.

Meet my characters:
    Command: Do the thing.

Zadarri, Khajiit Fist of Thalmor: The thing was done, as commanded.
    Durza gra-Maghul, Orc blacksmith: The thing was done perfectly, in the most efficient way.
    Tegwen, Bosmer troublemaker: You can't prove I didn't do the thing.
    Sings-Many-Songs, Argonian fisher: Sure, I'll do the thing... Eventually. Maybe.
    Aerindel, Altmer stormcaller: After extensive research, I've come to the conclusion that doing the thing would be a waste of resources.
    Liliel, Dunmer pyromancer: Aerindel said I shouldn't do the thing. Something about "resources".
    Gyda Snowcaller, Nord cryomancer: I will find a way to do it that won't waste resources and make Aerindel proud of me.
    Beatrice Leoriane, Breton vampire: I persuaded someone else into doing the thing. You are welcome, dear.
    Sahima, Redguard performer: Doing the thing sounds awfully unpleasant and really not my problem.
    Ellaria Valerius, Imperial priestess: I'll pray to the Eight for the thing to be done, if it is Their will.
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    PS: Stop blaming daedric thingys. Some things even daedra wouldn't touch. Like Crown crates. Or Khajiit.

I dunno, I've decided to blame Peryite - we know the other Daedric powers are mad at him for meddling outside his sphere, and Crown Crates are both outside the sphere of pestilence and natural order and loathsome enough to get the other Princes up in arms.

So learn from Peryite - stay inside your sphere of influence! Say no to Crown Crates in ESO!
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

PC/NA ROLLBACKS AND BAN NOTIFICATIONS ANNOUNCEMENT.
  • Cously
    Cously
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you like/use the consumables you received from the Crown Crates?
    No. I am happy making my own consumables and have enough gold to sink on respecs, repairs and gems.

Do you have any general feedback?
    Yes.

1) Crown/Gem Rate. 5 is an absolute disgrace. 50 is good enough. I own most of collectibles, so I would get mostly gems and in about 8 Crates I would have 400 Gems to spend on the Apex reward. 8 Crates are like 3,200 Crowns. That's higher than any pet, if I want a pet. Within the range of mount prices, if I want a mount. Absolutely ridiculous if I want a piece of clothing. However, it would be much better than the same scenario and 5 gems totalling an investment of 32,000 Crowns to get Apex reward. Repeat with me, 32,000 Crowns. No, thank you.

* Mind that is considering you own all collectibles. New accounts or people with next to no items will suffer even more since they will not get as many chances to have gems. Especially people who are ESO+ but diligently saved their Crowns in order to snatch just that one item they been waiting for. Backstabbing on your loyal customers. I think subscribers must have a higher gem drop rating or a massive discount in the gems shopping. Would add value to the subscription.

2) I feel in my guts the Ice Wolf Mount and Wolf Pups will be trapped behind this atrocious system. Please, make me swallow my own words and release those as regular items, else I will hate you forever. I will throw my money at you for each wolf mount and pup BUT I refuse to spend a cent in the *** crate if it is what it takes to get them. Part of wolf mounts were released as regular items, just complete that collection already with all of wolves as regular items. YOU MUST!

3) The comsumables are useless, honestly. Put something better there like motifs or basic costumes. These random items just *** me off because I have to look through them all to see if I actually got anything good. It's an illusion so you don't feel ripped off but...we aren't 5 years olds, throwing a colourful yet useless toy will only make us angry.

ZOS. I am really dissapointed how the system was done, however I still have faith in your ability to overhaul and correct things when they don't work. This is coming from a player that invested in your product since day 1. Leading a large guild and making everything I can to let people see your side and not quit. Inviting people to your game on Facebook, Reddit and other websites. Am ESO+, forum poster, bought most of the collectibles, only ones I missed was because they wouldn't be shipped to Brazil (Pack Guar, Mudcrab, Japanese Cat, etc). I will be here to the bitter end but my abilities to defend your product and convince others to join is almost nulified, so is my desire to open my wallet.

EDIT: Give a guaranteed chance for people to get like 25-50 Gems no matter if they get a duplicate or not. Because that wouldn't punish new players who join the game and want that special mount locked behind Crates.
    Edited by Cously on September 22, 2016 3:13PM
  • Abeille
    Abeille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I dunno, I've decided to blame Peryite - we know the other Daedric powers are mad at him for meddling outside his sphere, and Crown Crates are both outside the sphere of pestilence and natural order and loathsome enough to get the other Princes up in arms.

So learn from Peryite - stay inside your sphere of influence! Say no to Crown Crates in ESO!

PERYITE *shakes fist*

The objectively worst Daedric Prince of all. The one picked last for the Oblivion Dodgeball Games. The one that is probably out of the Daedric Prince war because the other Princes would rather have Clavicus Vile's fleabag Barbas on their faction than Peryite.

I'm totally on board with blaming Paryite.
    Edited by Abeille on September 22, 2016 3:07PM
    Just so that everyone knows, my Altmer still can't have black hair. About a dozen of Altmer NPCs in the game have black hair. Just saying.

Meet my characters:
    Command: Do the thing.

Zadarri, Khajiit Fist of Thalmor: The thing was done, as commanded.
    Durza gra-Maghul, Orc blacksmith: The thing was done perfectly, in the most efficient way.
    Tegwen, Bosmer troublemaker: You can't prove I didn't do the thing.
    Sings-Many-Songs, Argonian fisher: Sure, I'll do the thing... Eventually. Maybe.
    Aerindel, Altmer stormcaller: After extensive research, I've come to the conclusion that doing the thing would be a waste of resources.
    Liliel, Dunmer pyromancer: Aerindel said I shouldn't do the thing. Something about "resources".
    Gyda Snowcaller, Nord cryomancer: I will find a way to do it that won't waste resources and make Aerindel proud of me.
    Beatrice Leoriane, Breton vampire: I persuaded someone else into doing the thing. You are welcome, dear.
    Sahima, Redguard performer: Doing the thing sounds awfully unpleasant and really not my problem.
    Ellaria Valerius, Imperial priestess: I'll pray to the Eight for the thing to be done, if it is Their will.
  • silvereyes
    silvereyes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Abeille wrote: »
    Oblivion Dodgeball
    ^ much better idea for a mini-game than the gamble boxes
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just wanted to repeat some suggestions from this thread that I think are good ideas, with my own take on them:
    • Duplicate Collectibles should give almost double the amount of recompense Gems that they currently give.
    • Recompense values should be exact fractions of the prices in the Crown Gem store for the same tier items. (ie, recompense should always be a multiple of 4)
    • Combining those two, for the lowest (Superior) Tier items, a duplicate should compensate with 8 Gems (not 5). Thus two duplicates is enough to purchase something new.
    • You should be able to exchange items you don't want for Gems, but less than you get for a duplicate. For example, an unwanted Superior collectible could be exchanged for 4 Gems.
    • I would like to see values of Gems be a direct reward from the Crates. High chance of a small value (such as 4), low chance of a high value (no more than 100).
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To get a little philosophical, I find it interesting that people (not me) are willing to sink a ton of *time* into collecting RNG cosmetics in-game (e.g. soul shriven skin), but aren't willing to sink a ton of real-world *money* into attaining a potentially much larger collection of RNG cosmetics.

Pondering....

Sense of accomplishment from actually doing something.

I don't feel like I accomplished much by pressing E twice followed by an R to turn over all the cards.

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Constructive suggestions to take the edge off: (Not entirely all my ideas, credit to feed back from MissBizz, Dominoid and others.)

Put the consumables in a collection tab, out of inventory, and available to all characters account wide. At least then they might see some use on leveling alts or as backup. At the very least removes the negative inventory impact.

Only exclusives should should be the storm theme items. Everything else should appear in the Crown Store first.

While we're at it, put all past collectables in the crates and gem store, from the limited time senches, to the hero costumes, right down to the chef costume. This'll give crates added value as a second chance.

Increase gems for duplicates, allow converting any unwanted item to gems, lower the gem prices, or lower the crown price of crates. If we assume the 400 gem apex items are the same tier as the limited addition 4k crown senche, then no matter how unlucky, no one should ever spend twice on crates without the possibility of buying the item they want. Under the current numbers, that means gem recovery has to increase to at least 20 per crate.

Publish the odds for getting an item. I used to play a collectable card game app with some pretty terrible business practices, and they at least did that much for card packs.
  • jedtb16_ESO
    jedtb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Constructive suggestions to take the edge off: (Not entirely all my ideas, credit to feed back from MissBizz, Dominoid and others.)

Put the consumables in a collection tab, out of inventory, and available to all characters account wide. At least then they might see some use on leveling alts or as backup. At the very least removes the negative inventory impact.

Only exclusives should should be the storm theme items. Everything else should appear in the Crown Store first.

While we're at it, put all past collectables in the crates and gem store, from the limited time senches, to the hero costumes, right down to the chef costume. This'll give crates added value as a second chance.

Increase gems for duplicates, allow converting any unwanted item to gems, lower the gem prices, or lower the crown price of crates. If we assume the 400 gem apex items are the same tier as the limited addition 4k crown senche, then no matter how unlucky, no one should ever spend twice on crates without the possibility of buying the item they want. Under the current numbers, that means gem recovery has to increase to at least 20 per crate.

Publish the odds for getting an item. I used to play a collectable card game app with some pretty terrible business practices, and they at least did that much for card packs.

how about just scrap the whole sad idea and put the stuff that would have been in the boxes at a fixed price in the crown store?
  • Elrond87
    Elrond87
    ✭✭✭
    It is a waste of money, but on the other hand if you got the cash and want to put it back into the economy and get brief enjoyment from it, then why not
    PC|EU
    Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive. Elbert Hubbard

"If you are depressed you are living in the past if you are anxious you are living in the future, if you are at peace, you are living in the present." Lao Tzu

To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all. Oscar Wilde
  • wayfarerx
    wayfarerx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Elrond87 wrote: »
    It is a waste of money, but on the other hand if you got the cash and want to put it back into the economy and get brief enjoyment from it, then why not

Because it takes a game all of us love, a world we've enjoyed for decades and a character we've known for years and turns them into a cheap F2P-like scummy casino?
    @wayfarerx - PC / North America / Aldmeri Dominion
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

how about just scrap the whole sad idea and put the stuff that would have been in the boxes at a fixed price in the crown store?

@jedtb16_ESO
    Sadly, I assume they are going to push it through no matter what.