The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The maintenance is complete, and the PTS is now back online and patch 10.0.1 is available.

A vast majority of players are asking to remove cast times

Nerftheforums
Nerftheforums
✭✭✭✭✭
You say you started listening yo your player base after 5 years. Why won't you listen on basic stuff like NOT (NOT, i repeat, NOT) make combat clunkier? If so many people are asking to remove them, why the hell are you adding them to even more skills? Gosh we can't even ani cancel properly on pts! What the hell are doing guys?
Idk if you lost it in the process, but the goal here is to have people have more fun and improve the game so you get more money. Radically changing a 5yo product that people got so used to, will obtain the exact opposite.
See you in update 26, hopefully...
Edited by Nerftheforums on January 22, 2020 2:33PM
  • jcm2606
    jcm2606
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Their goal is not to listen to the playerbase, but to listen to those who'd rather throw a tantrum to get them to nerf whatever kills them. There's a very big difference.
  • Nerftheforums
    Nerftheforums
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I honestly think they listen to who generate revenue for them, and I can't believe they are ignoring such a core problem of the current combat mechanics just to attract some new players. I hope their retention numbers are high enough to justify the loss of the ogs..
  • Fur_like_snow
    Fur_like_snow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well if someone is running around Cyrodiil with 350 ping you’d never notice cast times. But let’s say you have a strong connection while playing a medium armor high precision build that requires a proper flawless rotation to execute you’d see how cast times effect the gameplay.

I’ve yet to see an in game example of how this change helps new players.
    Edited by Fur_like_snow on January 22, 2020 4:24PM
  • mikemacon
    mikemacon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Common mistake.

Equating “listening to” with “acquiescing to”.

The devs absolutely listen.

They also do not agree, and so do not implement.

• MellowMagic
    MellowMagic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I cant stand cast times. My friend was a big wow player and when classic wow came out he demanded I play with him I tried it out for awhile but I just couldnt get over casting times. I want my *** to happen the instant I select it.
    PC / NA @MellowMagic
    Imperial named with some sort of variation of "Deo"
    By the Divines...
  • React
    React
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cast times on ults are bad, they need to go.
    @ReactSlower - PC/NA - 2000+ CP
    React Faster - XB/NA - 1500+ CP
    Content
    Twitch.tv/reactfaster
    Youtube.com/@ReactFaster
  • MentalxHammer
    MentalxHammer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Remove cast times, no one likes them. The noobs will still stand still even with the 0.4 second cast time.
  • Alienoutlaw
    Alienoutlaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    by vast you mean those who shout the loudest, i see the same names calling for nerfs all the time on these forums, cast times are fine learn to adapt your rotation, improve you situational awareness, delay your tower hugging groups ult dump for an extra 700ms
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I am not a fan of the cast times that have been added I have to ask how OP quantifies a vast majority of players? I am pretty certain none of us can gleam into the minds of a majority of the player base and people make comments of such measurements either based on comments of a very small portion of the player base or suggest such things in order to inflate their opinion in a manner Zos can probably see through.

All I am suggesting is make a reasonable well worded argument vs inflating it with suggestions Zos knows we have no way of knowing.
  • Octopuss
    Octopuss
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    we can't even ani cancel properly
    This shouldn't even exist in the first place. I am perplexed why didn't ZOS fix this bug years ago instead of proclaiming it a feature.

Also, stop speaking for others, you don't even seem to realize what "vast majority" means.
    Edited by Octopuss on January 22, 2020 4:43PM
  • jcm2606
    jcm2606
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Well if someone is running around Cyrodiil with 350 ping you’d never notice cast times. But let’s say you have a strong connection while playing a medium armor high precision build that requires a proper flawless rotation to execute you’d see how cast times effect the gameplay.

I’ve yet to see an in game example of how this change helps new players.

Other way round, actually. Higher ping only worsens the issues that cast times cause, because the game can't perform the skill through the cast time smoothly. It's why, even with the reduced cast time, Dizzy was just as impossible to land for me, an Aussie, as it was before they reduced it.
  • jcm2606
    jcm2606
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Octopuss wrote: »
    "we can't even ani cancel properly
    This shouldn't even exist in the first place. I am perplexed why didn't ZOS fix this bug years ago instead of proclaiming it a feature.

Also, stop speaking for others, you don't even seem to realize what "vast majority" means.

Because they literally can't without fundamentally redesigning combat as a whole. Animation cancelling is there to allow you to block, dodge, interrupt, or otherwise defend yourself against incoming attacks reliably, no matter what you were previously doing. Remove it, and I can guarantee you'll start dying to things that never gave you a hard time.
    Edited by jcm2606 on January 22, 2020 4:28PM
  • pieratsos
    pieratsos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Most definitely not the potatoes who still call animation canceling a bug and label everything animation canceling related as cheating even tho they have no clue what animation canceling is and how it works.
    Edited by pieratsos on January 22, 2020 4:30PM
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cast time just ruined alot of the fun in pvp combat for me, sadly. Im hoping they revert it one day.

PC EU
    PvP only
  • pieratsos
    pieratsos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    While I am not a fan of the cast times that have been added I have to ask how OP quantifies a vast majority of players? I am pretty certain none of us can gleam into the minds of a majority of the player base and people make comments of such measurements either based on comments of a very small portion of the player base or suggest such things in order to inflate their opinion in a manner Zos can probably see through.

All I am suggesting is make a reasonable well worded argument vs inflating it with suggestions Zos knows we have no way of knowing.

(snip) The term vast majority is used to emphasize the actual point of the argument. In this case, that cast times need to go. Not to quantify the amount of players that support that argument.

(edited for baiting)
    Edited by ZOS_FalcoYamaoka on January 22, 2020 10:17PM
  • Octopuss
    Octopuss
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    pieratsos wrote: »

Most definitely not the potatoes who still call animation canceling a bug and label everything animation canceling related as cheating even tho they have no clue what animation canceling is and how it works.

Please enlighten me on the reason why animations exist in the first place when you can cancel them.
    Also, why potatoes? That's an insult, right? Too bad noone understand what the heck does it mean.
    Edited by Octopuss on January 22, 2020 4:46PM
  • Alienoutlaw
    Alienoutlaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

You keep raising the same argument in every thread but you are completely missing the point in pretty much every single thread. The term vast majority is used to emphasize the actual point of the argument. In this case, that cast times need to go. Not to quantify the amount of players that support that argument.

i think the point being made is that the term "vast majority" is being miss used. by using this term it is in fact quantifying an amount of players
  • jcm2606
    jcm2606
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Please enlighten me on the reason why animations exist in the first place when you can cancel them.
    Also, why potatoes? That's an insult, right? Too bad noone understand what the heck does it mean.

Because looking at a character T-posing the entire time would get quite old very quickly, wouldn't it?

You realise literally every game with an active combat system has animation cancelling of some kind, right? It's the backbone of a responsive combat system, being able to cancel what you're doing so that you can react to incoming attacks as quickly as possible.

Again, remove it, and I can guarantee you'll start dying to *** you never had any trouble with.
  • Dark_Lord_Kuro
    Dark_Lord_Kuro
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    jcm2606 wrote: »
    "we can't even ani cancel properly

Because they literally can't without fundamentally redesigning combat as a whole. Animation cancelling is there to allow you to block, dodge, interrupt, or otherwise defend yourself against incoming attacks reliably, no matter what you were previously doing. Remove it, and I can guarantee you'll start dying to things that never gave you a hard time.

It should evolve into skill canceling
    If you cancel your fireball it should not under any circumstance hurt the ennemy
  • Rianai
    Rianai
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Animation canceling does not remove animations, so animation canceling does not make animations useless.

(There have been a few cases of completely invisible animations caused by canceling, but those got fixed)
    Edited by Rianai on January 22, 2020 5:15PM
  • Araviel2
    Araviel2
    ✭✭✭
    I quite like cast times IF the abilities that accompanies them are powerful.
    Its something I think goes into the "risk vs reward" category of game-play.
    And Im pretty sad that this type of game is disappearing from games today in order to cater to casuals.
    Araviel -Professional Zerg surfing mutagen spammer [DC-EU]
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just because we can't exactly measure what every single ESO player thinking on this issue does not mean we throw our hands in the air and proclaim that there is no way to measure public opinion.

We could do a search on cast times and see what comes out. Here are the first two pages:

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/508920/please-remove-cast-times-of-ultimates - negative

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/491407/cast-time-on-ultimates-is-garbage - negative

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/488917/cast-times-on-ultimates ... "are simply horrible" - negative

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/484409/cast-times-on-ultimates-should-not-go-live - negative

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/484920/cast-timed-ultimates-discussion - negative

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/492754/cast-time-utimates-need-to-go - negative

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/484238/cast-time-on-ultimates-feels-awful - negative

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/500055/cast-times-so-when-are-they-bieng-removed-from-ultimates - negative

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/491990/remove-ultimate-cast-times-for-men-taller-than-173-centimeters - negative

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/436792/cast-time-to-all-shields-not-just-specific-shields - neutral, asking for consistency.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/495644/cast-time-on-ultimates-worries-about-the-future-of-eso - negative

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/484572/cast-time-for-ultimates - negative

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/501925/cast-time-on-ults - negative

Don't need a advanced degree in public relations to see a trend here.

Now, people love to sprout out, "But, but, that's just a small percentage of the community! You still can't prove what the majority of the people think!"

No, I can't. This is just circular "logic" to get us back to the point where we just throw our hands in the air because we can't ask every single person. People who abide by this "logic" should delete their forum account, never participate in a public survey, and just burn every book and study ever that endeavored to assess public opinion because they place zero value in them and will never accept their outcome (unless, I am guessing, the outcome matches what they want to hear.) Seriously, if people are going to disregard forum feedback as a legitimate measure of public opinion, why do they offer their opinion on these forums and expect me to value it as representative? Either these forums are indicators of public opinion or they are not.

I mained a class once full of cast-times (templars) and because people associated me with them, they'd tell, ask, and beg me to get ZoS to get rid of them. Of the dozens and dozens of templars who gave me feedback, *not one* said, "Hey Joy, I know a lot of folks on the forums hate cast times, but I've got to say they add an interesting element to the game and I kind of like them."

When I sat in Rep meetings the amount of disconnect on this issue was alarming. I still remember one meeting when we were discussing sorcerer's (bad) resource management and the devs asking us point blank why sorcerers did not use their Dark Exchange skill in their rotations if they needed resources. If you have to ask why players aren't using a skill, that should be a pretty obvious indicator that the players either don't like it or it's sub-optimal choice!

Edited by Joy_Division on January 22, 2020 5:55PM
  • mav1234
    mav1234
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cast times are awful and not fun. I am on the fence on NO abilities should have cast times; I think they can be valuable, but they should be short and exist just to prevent repeated spamming of an ability in a short time frame, e.g. dizzying swing. Just adding cast times to everything does not make the game more fun.

It feels almost like the developers are wishing they could stop animation cancelling and the only way they know how is by gradually switching abilities to cast times.
  • killingspreeb16_ESO
    killingspreeb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    we can't even ani cancel properly

Then it should have been fixed a long time ago not after 4/5 year and the combat system should have been updated.

The game evolved with AC in mind and most player are used to this type of gameplay which they love because is fluid and fun.

Try to play without animation cancel no weaving,no bash cancel,no roll cancel,bar swap and so on.

You will quickly find that the gameplay will be clunky slow and definitely not fun.

I guess some people don't even realize when they use animation cancel
  • Chelo
    Chelo
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You keep raising the same argument in every thread but you are completely missing the point in pretty much every single thread. The term vast majority is used to emphasize the actual point of the argument. In this case, that cast times need to go. Not to quantify the amount of players that support that argument.

By that logic, "the vast majority" could be just 1 guy looool hahahaha 🤣
  • ZombieMayhem
    ZombieMayhem
    ✭✭✭
    Vast majority = "Someone said it in zone chat and I decided it made sense."

Essentially what I'm hearing is:
    "I'm not very good at something, so instead of learning and practicing like everyone else, I'm going to go hit up the forums and flap my yapper, so everyone will know that I refuse to learn. CHANGE THE WHOLE WORLD TO FIT ME OR YOU'RE JUST IN IT FOR THE MONEY!"
  • ZonasArch
    ZonasArch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You say you started listening yo your player base after 5 years. Why won't you listen on basic stuff like NOT (NOT, i repeat, NOT) make combat clunkier? If so many people are asking to remove them, why the hell are you adding them to even more skills? Gosh we can't even ani cancel properly on pts! What the hell are doing guys?
    Idk if you lost it in the process, but the goal here is to have people have more fun and improve the game so you get more money. Radically changing a 5yo product that people got so used to, will obtain the exact opposite.

Even thout I want them gone too, you confused "majority of players" with majority of "forum dwellers". The majority of players, I promise you, don't even notice any difference with that 0.4s, and even more so, they probably don't even know that change happened.

Remember... The forums are mostly for people that really care, not the casual. And this game is for casuals... We, patch notes readers, are NOT the ones that matter for changes like that. And for the casuals... Well... That was a good change for them, even if they don't know why.

Sad? Yes. True? Also yes.
  • Nerftheforums
    Nerftheforums
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I honestly think they listen to who generate revenue for them, and I can't believe they are ignoring such a core problem of the current combat mechanics just to attract some new players. I hope their retention numbers are high enough to justify the loss of the ogs..
    Just because we can't exactly measure what every single ESO player thinking on this issue does not mean we throw our hands in the air and proclaim that there is no way to measure public opinion.

We could do a search on cast times and see what comes out. Here are the first two pages:

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/508920/please-remove-cast-times-of-ultimates - negative

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/491407/cast-time-on-ultimates-is-garbage - negative

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/488917/cast-times-on-ultimates ... "are simply horrible" - negative

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/484409/cast-times-on-ultimates-should-not-go-live - negative

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/484920/cast-timed-ultimates-discussion - negative

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/492754/cast-time-utimates-need-to-go - negative

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/484238/cast-time-on-ultimates-feels-awful - negative

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/500055/cast-times-so-when-are-they-bieng-removed-from-ultimates - negative

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/491990/remove-ultimate-cast-times-for-men-taller-than-173-centimeters - negative

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/436792/cast-time-to-all-shields-not-just-specific-shields - neutral, asking for consistency.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/495644/cast-time-on-ultimates-worries-about-the-future-of-eso - negative

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/484572/cast-time-for-ultimates - negative

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/501925/cast-time-on-ults - negative

Don't need a advanced degree in public relations to see a trend here.

Now, people love to sprout out, "But, but, that's just a small percentage of the community! You still can't prove what the majority of the people think!"

No, I can't. This is just circular "logic" to get us back to the point where we just throw our hands in the air because we can't ask every single person. People who abide by this "logic" should delete their forum account, never participate in a public survey, and just burn every book and study ever that endeavored to assess public opinion because they place zero value in them and will never accept their outcome (unless, I am guessing, the outcome matches what they want to hear.) Seriously, if people are going to disregard forum feedback as a legitimate measure of public opinion, why do they offer their opinion on these forums and expect me to value it as representative? Either these forums are indicators of public opinion or they are not.

I mained a class once full of cast-times (templars) and because people associated me with them, they'd tell, ask, and beg me to get ZoS to get rid of them. Of the dozens and dozens of templars who gave me feedback, *not one* said, "Hey Joy, I know a lot of folks on the forums hate cast times, but I've got to say they add an interesting element to the game and I kind of like them."

When I sat in Rep meetings the amount of disconnect on this issue was alarming. I still remember one meeting when we were discussing sorcerer's (bad) resource management and the devs asking us point blank why sorcerers did not use their Dark Exchange skill in their rotations if they needed resources. If you have to ask why players aren't using a skill, that should be a pretty obvious indicator that the players either don't like it or it's sub-optimal choice!

Amazing answer, couldn't have done better. Can't wait to see the ooga booga answer this comment will receive.
  • Chelo
    Chelo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZonasArch wrote: »

Even thout I want them gone too, you confused "majority of players" with majority of "forum dwellers". The majority of players, I promise you, don't even notice any difference with that 0.4s, and even more so, they probably don't even know that change happened.

Remember... The forums are mostly for people that really care, not the casual. And this game is for casuals... We, patch notes readers, are NOT the ones that matter for changes like that. And for the casuals... Well... That was a good change for them, even if they don't know why.

Sad? Yes. True? Also yes.

This is my most successful MMO as a PvPer from all the other MMOs I've played from the last 15-20 years hahahaha

And the main reason for that is because this MMO is one of the most causals MMOs of all time hahaha sad but true...

Killing people here feels like been an adult fighting children 🤣 basically if you are a veteran MMO player, it's super easy to kill MMO beginners here...
    Edited by Chelo on January 22, 2020 8:55PM
  • Veinblood1965
    Veinblood1965
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't PVP but don't see the benefit for anyone by adding cast times even in PVE. Has ZoS released anything on why they made the change? I can't imagine there were any threads about anyone actually wanting cast times added.

BTW I agree with the OP, changing too much and making things clunkier IMO will cause people to just delete the game. I played WoW for many years and finally hit the last straw when they revamped the hunter class overnight, deleted the game, threw all my game discs in the trash and never came back. I quit ESO mid year last year due to some of the changes but just waited it out. If this starts again I'm gone, delete and trash it is, and you all can yes have my stuff.
    Edited by Veinblood1965 on January 22, 2020 9:07PM