The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

[MATH] PvP Defensive Set Comparison (Impreg, Brass, Pariah, Riposte, + more)

• Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone managed to test if Steadfast Hero procs from Wings, Forward Momentum and Mistform??
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Qbiken wrote: »
    Anyone managed to test if Steadfast Hero procs from Wings, Forward Momentum and Mistform??

Someone tested it doesn't work on wings. Very highly likely it doesn't work for others
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • UltimateBias
    @Taylor_MB

You were having an ongoing discussion about the effectiveness of the Combat Physician gear set with @TheDoomsdayMonster . Well he has released a video showcasing how frequently it procs (assuming you have high Spell Crit) and you can gauge for yourself how effective it is in combat.

Basically he is able to make it function as autoshielding every 6 seconds by stacking his HoT's (its the blue bubble that you will regularly see in his battles) and using abilities such as Structured Entropy.

Doomsday (he is known as TheLordofMurder ingame) has 29k Spell Resist and 20k Physical Resist in constant effect, so the Damage Shield is significantly stronger than its 4.1k tooltip would indicate; its about 44% stronger against Spell Damage and about 30% stronger against Physical Damage. This gives the Damage Shield an effective value of 5.9k against Spell and 5.3k against Physical. Of course, that effectiveness is reduced by an opponents Penetration, so its effectiveness does vary from foe to foe.

Anyway, here is the video. Enjoy.

PS, the last sequence which is titled "Outnumbered" showcases Combat Physician best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQKKvbR4qTM&t=1s
    Edited by UltimateBias on December 12, 2018 4:56AM
    Magicka Templar Build
    PS4
    NA
  • Jimmy_The_Fixer
    Jimmy_The_Fixer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Taylor_MB

You were having an ongoing discussion about the effectiveness of the Combat Physician gear set with @TheDoomsdayMonster . Well he has released a video showcasing how frequently it procs (assuming you have high Spell Crit) and you can gauge for yourself how effective it is in combat.

Basically he is able to make it function as autoshielding every 6 seconds by stacking his HoT's (its the blue bubble that you will regularly see in his battles) and using abilities such as Structured Entropy.

Doomsday (he is known as TheLordofMurder ingame) has 29k Spell Resist and 20k Physical Resist in constant effect, so the Damage Shield is significantly stronger than its 4.1k tooltip would indicate; its about 44% stronger against Spell Damage and about 30% stronger against Physical Damage. This gives the Damage Shield an effective value of 5.9k against Spell and 5.3k against Physical. Of course, that effectiveness is reduced by an opponents Penetration, so its effectiveness does vary from foe to foe.

PS, the last sequence which is titled "Outnumbered" showcases Combat Physician best.

This is clearly you on a smurf account, Doom, stop lying and accept your forum ban like a man.
  • UltimateBias
    @Taylor_MB

This is clearly you on a smurf account, Doom, stop lying and accept your forum ban like a man.

Are you stalking me?

Is there a way I can put you on ignore?

Magicka Templar Build
    PS4
    NA
  • Koensol
    Koensol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Taylor_MB

Looking through his post history, yea it's definately him lmao. Some people will never give up I suppose.
  • Taylor_MB
    Taylor_MB
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Taylor_MB

I can't believe I wasted my time watching that D-level PvP. I actually thought, given your feverish conviction that Combat Physician is good, you'd actually have some decent clips to share.

1) Survivability does not mean mist forming away to zero magicka with only a single person chasing you.
    2) Outnumbered is 1vX, not fighting 3 1v1's. All that demonstrates is you have enough regeneration, nothing else.
    3) Your skill choice is bizarre-
    - I get you are probably wearing Chudan, so no Channeled Focus, but you can't keep up that level of Mist Forming without it.
    - Double slotting Magelight is... an interesting choice. You may as well slot Vampire's Bane / Reflective Light and open up another skill slot (for Channeled Focus, for example, and then slot 1pc Domihaus and 1pc Chudan, for example).

Just...wow. I actually expected way better gameplay then that, even considering the odd set choice.

I'm sorry.

Edited by Taylor_MB on December 12, 2018 9:32AM
    PvP Defensive Set Comparison
    Firestarter MagDK 1vX
    - build and gamplay!
    LagPlar Ranged Lag Proof(ish) Magplar
    - build and gamplay!
    ShadowGaurd MagBlade Group Utility Tank
    - build and gamplay!
    Oncoming Storm No-CP 11.6k Ward MagSorc - build and gamplay!
    My YouTube Chanel

• UltimateBias
    Taylor_MB wrote: »
    @Taylor_MB

I can't believe I wasted my time watching that D-level PvP. I actually thought, given your feverish conviction that Combat Physician is good, you'd actually have some decent clips to share.

1) Survivability does not mean mist forming away to zero magicka with only a single person chasing you.
    2) Outnumbered is 1vX, not fighting 3 1v1's. All that demonstrates is you have enough regeneration, nothing else.
    3) Your skill choice is bizarre-
    - I get you are probably wearing Chudan, so no Channeled Focus, but you can't keep up that level of Mist Forming without it.
    - Double slotting Magelight is... an interesting choice. You may as well slot Vampire's Bane / Reflective Light and open up another skill slot (for Channeled Focus, for example, and then slot 1pc Domihaus and 1pc Chudan, for example).

Just...wow. I actually expected way better gameplay then that, even considering the odd set choice.

I'm sorry.

Well, the point was just to focus on the mitigation of Combat Physician, but that's ok.

I guess I shouldn't have bothered; I'll post here no further.
    Magicka Templar Build
    PS4
    NA
  • Taylor_MB
    Taylor_MB
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steadfast Hero
    • Now added.
    • Stat wise it's identical to Ironblood, except with higher cooldown but no negative effect (snare).
    • Potential max mitigation puts this set squarely into the top tier of defensive sets.
    • Can be back barred.
    + everything else we've already discussed.

Edited by Taylor_MB on December 13, 2018 9:17AM
    Firestarter MagDK 1vX
    - build and gamplay!
    - build and gamplay!
    - build and gamplay!
    My YouTube Chanel

• Jeezye
    Jeezye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can anyone share his experience of running pariah + blackrose resto? I'll soon return to eso and this really struck me first when reading damage shields get resistances and the major vitality bonus of healing ward. I mean - the synergy is just too good on paper. have insanely strong shields + major vitality when low hp should make you almost immortal.

Also, something I tried out and really liked is combining jorvulds with pirate skeleton - guarantees 100% major protection uptime + decent resistances makes it really hard to withle you down.

Both setups were intended for my (sap)tank blade
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeezye wrote: »
    Can anyone share his experience of running pariah + blackrose resto? I'll soon return to eso and this really struck me first when reading damage shields get resistances and the major vitality bonus of healing ward. I mean - the synergy is just too good on paper. have insanely strong shields + major vitality when low hp should make you almost immortal.

Also, something I tried out and really liked is combining jorvulds with pirate skeleton - guarantees 100% major protection uptime + decent resistances makes it really hard to withle you down.

BR resto is absolutely overpowering on hot based healing for duos. Mag warden using this in conjunction with rapid regen, vines, and trellis keeps you two on offense the whole fight.
  • Jeezye
    Jeezye
    ✭✭✭✭✭

BR resto is absolutely overpowering on hot based healing for duos. Mag warden using this in conjunction with rapid regen, vines, and trellis keeps you two on offense the whole fight.

wait what, do you mean BR resto provides major vitality for you AND your buddy if you choose to run the other morph with two shields?
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

wait what, do you mean BR resto provides major vitality for you AND your buddy if you choose to run the other morph with two shields?

Yes
  • Jeezye
    Jeezye
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes

holy, I need to start watching guides for BR prison. Combining this with jorvulds must be insane.
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Yes

holy, I need to start watching guides for BR prison. Combining this with jorvulds must be insane.

add some guard on top of that and got yourself a nice combo.
  • kaithuzar
    kaithuzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes

add some guard on top of that and got yourself a nice combo.

Sounds like a cancerous combo, has anyone fought against this in Cyrodiil?
    Member of:
    Fantasia - osh kosh b-josh
    Just Chill - Crown's house
    GoldCloaks - Durruthy test server penga
    Small Meme Guild - Mano's house

Former member of:
    Legend - Siffer fan boy club
    TKO (tamriel knight's order) - free bks
    Deviance - Leonard's senche tiger
    Purple - hamNchz is my hero
    Eight Divines - myrlifax stop playing final fantasy
    WKB (we kill bosses) - turd where you go?
    Arcance Council - Klytz Kommander
    World Boss - Mike & Chewy gone EP
    M12 (majestic twelve) - cult of the loli zerg
  • Baconlad
    Baconlad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damn zos *** up my old build...
    Skoria, riposte and desert rose and willpower swords. Rose has to be front barred...and now so does riposte. Garbage!

Oh well good thing I don't play sweeplar anymore...
  • Taylor_MB
    Taylor_MB
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Baconlad
    Yeah, it's shame they nerfed Wizard's Riposte (I used it on 3 toons), but it was OP you could back bar a defensive set with the full benefits easily carried over to front bar.
    Firestarter MagDK 1vX
    - build and gamplay!
    - build and gamplay!
    - build and gamplay!
    My YouTube Chanel

• Baconlad
    Baconlad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well yeah...there are a few others you can do that with. Guess I could reroll the playstyle and go transmutation and a damage set...or trans and riposte.

Been running a glass ranged magplar and a medium stamplar since summerset... guest it's time to go back...getting bored again
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do we have the math on the uptime of Templar minor protection? Is it like 50% uptime and do we use the 26.666% but divide that in half to see minor protection uptime on the spreadsheet?

Wanted to see how that passive works out now that we no longer have 100% uptime.
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Minno wrote: »
    Do we have the math on the uptime of Templar minor protection? Is it like 50% uptime and do we use the 26.666% but divide that in half to see minor protection uptime on the spreadsheet?

Wanted to see how that passive works out now that we no longer have 100% uptime.

It's 3 seconds duration on aedric spear ability use, right? so technically it's possible to have a 100% uptime if timed mpossibly perfect. But something like a jab spammer could most likely have a 90%+ uptime, for everyone else it just matters how often you want to cast or I'd you are trying to time it. But this is just me typing while on my way home, got no data at all just educated guess.
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Minno wrote: »

It's 3 seconds duration on aedric spear ability use, right? so technically it's possible to have a 100% uptime if timed mpossibly perfect. But something like a jab spammer could most likely have a 90%+ uptime, for everyone else it just matters how often you want to cast or I'd you are trying to time it. But this is just me typing while on my way home, got no data at all just educated guess.

Yea wanted to see everyone's uptimes in combat (dont have combat metrics installed to see uptimes on buffs). 100% is possible, but it requires sharting using just jabs. My guess it's 50-60% uptime, since our main burst is cycling around the 6 second mark. Rending+POTL+jav+jabs means 5 seconds before hitting jabs again? Same for magplar, except UC/TD and vamps bane for rending.
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Taylor_MB
    Taylor_MB
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Minno
    I'll add it to my list of queued updates (behind Major Evasion change).

Gaming is more fun than spread sheeting XD
    Firestarter MagDK 1vX
    - build and gamplay!
    - build and gamplay!
    - build and gamplay!
    My YouTube Chanel

• Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Taylor_MB wrote: »
    @Minno
    I'll add it to my list of queued updates (behind Major Evasion change).

Gaming is more fun than spread sheeting XD

haha thanks!

In the meantime, what's the uptime?!?! Guess I will need to add combat metrics and fight a mammoth or something for 5 minutes lol.
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • ExistingRug61
    ExistingRug61
    ✭✭✭✭
    First, great thread.

Secondly, regarding Wizards Riposte/Minor Maim and its diminishing returns in CP:

I suspect it is likely that the reason this is diminishing is because it is additive with the attackers damage bonus (but negative) so has a lesser effect the more damage bonuses the attacker has (ie from CP).

@TaylorMB looking at your tests in the "My Workings" sheet it looks like you were on the same track but I have tried slightly different formulas. I made all offensive bonuses additive and included Minor Maim as a negative here, all defensive bonuses multiplicative, as follows:

For calculated damage you have:
    BaseDamage*(1+Mighty-Hardy)*(1+MasterAtArms-IronClad)*(1-ExpertDefender)
    Whereas I used:
    BaseDamage*(1+Mighty+MasterAtArms)*(1-Hardy)*(1-IronClad)*(1-ExpertDefender)

Likewise for WR calculated damage you have:
    BaseDamage*(1+Mighty+MasterAtArms-0.15)*(1-Hardy-IronClad-ExpertDefender)
    Whereas I used:
    BaseDamage*(1+Mighty+MasterAtArms-0.15)*(1-Hardy)*(1-IronClad)*(1-ExpertDefender)

This seems to give fairly close results to your test damage numbers (apart from column K for some reason, observed damage value here seems off?) and also very close for the observed reduction percentage due to Wizards Riposte.
    (I haven't actually done any testing myself, this is just what I can see looking at your test numbers)

One implication of this is that if Maim interacts like this (additively) with other damage bonuses your opponent has (such as Minor and Major Berserk, swords passive damage bonus) then it will also be providing less than 15% reduction in these cases as well (even in noCP). Would need testing.
  • Lloydmp
    Lloydmp
    ✭✭✭
    @Taylor_MB

Loved this thread, I have a few questions regarding some of the new set changes.
    Cryodiil’s light, robes of the swift and wizards.

I’m trying out combinations of these sets to get as much mitigation in light Armor as possible. What in your option would have the greatest uptime in melee ranged combat. (Magplar).

Thanks in advance.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yea, the thread needs to be updated. There are better choices now.

Even though it’s a thread about dueling mitigation choices I think some people erroneously believe this carries over into all pvp. For example people talk about how wizard’s repost is great but there are lots of sources of minor maim without the set.
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Swift looks quite tasty if you combine it with Armor master and annullement, stronk shields
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iskiab wrote: »
    Yea, the thread needs to be updated. There are better choices now.

Even though it’s a thread about dueling mitigation choices I think some people erroneously believe this carries over into all pvp. For example people talk about how wizard’s repost is great but there are lots of sources of minor maim without the set.

the first few pages talks about that lol.
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • ChefZero
    ChefZero
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lloydmp wrote: »
    @Taylor_MB

Loved this thread, I have a few questions regarding some of the new set changes.
    Cryodiil’s light, robes of the swift and wizards.

I’m trying out combinations of these sets to get as much mitigation in light Armor as possible. What in your option would have the greatest uptime in melee ranged combat. (Magplar).

Thanks in advance.

Buffer + Pariah no discussion.

But you could also slot buffer and transmutation on one bar, so you could use willpower or an arena weapon.
    PC EU - DC only