Gaze of Sithis

• jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    olsborg wrote: »
    So, the new value to the hp is ok, the new hpregen is meh, whatever, hp regen stat is useless in pvp now anyway. The nerf to the armor value was too much. 5000 or preferably 6000 would be more in line with the fact that you cant block and you cant use a monster set with this item.
    Yep. Like I have said before: Anything lower than 10K would mean they will have to rework block mitigation removal into some other penalty (like reduced blocked dmg instead of removing it).

With those stats, the penalty this set gives is way too much. Won't be worth to slot it over other mythics. 4K is like what 5% less dmg taken ? Trading 60% block mitigation for 5% is... it is not a trad-off. You are getting robbed willingly lol.

And 5% is pretty sad when you can nearly get that just by back barring Potentates restro and getting the 3% mitigation from that, and then slotting a better monster set or a better mythic.
    Edited by jaws343 on May 3, 2021 6:29PM
    Options
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not to mention, in light armor you are already dealing with a deficit of at least 5% against physical damage. So great, you put this mythic on, lose a monster set, lose another mythic, and make up for the weakness in your armor only. So on mag classes, all this mythic is going to do is put your damage mitigation back to what it was prior to the armor changes.
    Edited by jaws343 on May 3, 2021 6:32PM
    Options
  • relentless_turnip
    relentless_turnip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    jaws343 wrote: »
    olsborg wrote: »
    So, the new value to the hp is ok, the new hpregen is meh, whatever, hp regen stat is useless in pvp now anyway. The nerf to the armor value was too much. 5000 or preferably 6000 would be more in line with the fact that you cant block and you cant use a monster set with this item.
    Yep. Like I have said before: Anything lower than 10K would mean they will have to rework block mitigation removal into some other penalty (like reduced blocked dmg instead of removing it).

With those stats, the penalty this set gives is way too much. Won't be worth to slot it over other mythics. 4K is like what 5% less dmg taken ? Trading 60% block mitigation for 5% is... it is not a trad-off. You are getting robbed willingly lol.

And 5% is pretty sad when you can nearly get that just by back barring Potentates restro and getting the 3% mitigation from that, and then slotting a better monster set or a better mythic.

It isn't quite the same as different sources of mitigation apply multiplicatively. This includes your armor value, battlespirit and what ever other source/s you have. The most efficient way to build your mitigation value is mainly to increase your armor value. In PvP you get something like 1.7% from potentates so you get a lot more from sithis.

I do think the armor value on it should be 5-6k though. 4k does seem a little low.
    Options
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dead set. Good, won't have to buy new DLC.
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!
    I am doing my best, but I am not a native speaker, sorry.

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge
    Options
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had said what was a fair reduction to. Most big star comments are in agreement.

Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
    Options
  • ManDraKE
    ManDraKE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i would rather had a overnerfed set and then do incremental buffs to make it more viable, than release a complete broken item that ruins PvP for 6 months.
    Options
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ManDraKE wrote: »
    i would rather had a overnerfed set and then do incremental buffs to make it more viable, than release a complete broken item that ruins PvP for 6 months.
    PvP will be ruined anyway (if it is not already)...
    Options
  • xylena_lazarow
    xylena_lazarow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Health recovery is reduced by half in combat and by another half in PvP
    Gear bonuses represent in-combat stats, I think you need an addon just to even see the non-combat stats.
    PC/NA || CP/Cyro || RIP soft caps
    Options
  • selig_fay
    selig_fay
    ✭✭✭
    Why do I think only pvp DPS look at this set? I'm wondering if 0 block mitigation is replaced with minus 20% damage, will the same people keep saying that it's ok? Just wondering.
    Options
  • master_vanargand
    master_vanargand
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZoS did a good job.
    It's a balanced.
    Options
  • Urzigurumash
    Urzigurumash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had said what was a fair reduction to. Most big star comments are in agreement.

I must have missed that, but good point what you said about Engine Guardian likely outperforming it if the numbers are too low. Of course Engine Guardian deserves whatever pejoratives any other proc set endures.
    Xbox NA AD / Day 1 ScrubDK / Wood Orc Cuisine Enthusiast
    Options
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I don't see this getting buffed if it goes Live like this?

Anyone remember Thrassian Stranglers?

Nobody uses it after ZOS nerfed it into Oblivion but they certainly don't seem to care.
    Options
  • thedoodle_90
    thedoodle_90
    ✭✭✭
    This set is now worthless since it competes with a monster set slot.
    Options
  • dave_harter_ESO
    dave_harter_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    This is now trash tier as the helm competes with monster sets. No one should bother with getting this mythic any more. I am disappointed in ZOS atm.
    Edited by dave_harter_ESO on May 4, 2021 12:37AM
    Options
  • ManDraKE
    ManDraKE
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Nobody uses it after ZOS nerfed it into Oblivion but they certainly don't seem to care.

and who is affected by that? Nobody.

Again, i would rather have some useless sets, than broken sets that ruin gameplay. Not like this game is suffering from a shortage of sets, there are a gazillion of sets already and endless builds possibilities. Broken sets outperforming everything is what kills build diveristy, not the lack of sets.
    Options
  • ResidentContrarian
    ResidentContrarian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is now trash tier as the helm competes with monster sets. No one should bother with getting this mythic any more. I am disappointed in ZOS atm.

That would be a valid complaint, except, it's still a 1-piece item vs. 2 piece.

ZOS is not as naive as some posters here think.

The mythic still is:
    • 1 piece
    • Gives more hp than any other item you can slot on head or shoulder, any monster helm
    • Gives more hp regen
    • Gives resistances
    • Only downside is block, which is really not even important in 99.9 percent of the game (thanks Gaze of Sithis for proving it)

Again, loss of block is not a real downside when the game has:
    • unblockable stuns to counter block
    • movement speed and roll, which both work better than block at reducing damage in nearly all content
    • vampire mistform and other % reduction that can be stacked
    • reflect and absorb projectile mechanics that completely negate damage
    • large amount of shielding based on hp available (including healing ward, which apparently is stacking on hp too and is probably a bug)
    • HP% healing, damage scaling with hp

All those things really make the loss of block irrelevant. The only place block will be better is when you have to stand still or be one-shot. How often is that mechanic seen in ESO? Yeah...not present in most of the game.

Even if you wanted to make the argument "but tanks have to block" then tanks that can't tank without the block button simply wouldn't slot it before or after the changes anyway.

Yet posters here continue to pretend it is NOT the case...reality is not going to change just because you want it to or you flex forum stars.
    Options
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The mythic still is:
    • 1 piece
    • Gives more hp than any other item you can slot on head or shoulder, any monster helm
    • Gives more hp regen
    • Gives resistances
    • Only downside is block, which is really not even important in 99.9 percent of the game (thanks Gaze of Sithis for proving it)

• movement speed and roll, which both work better than block at reducing damage in nearly all content
    • large amount of shielding based on hp available (including healing ward, which apparently is stacking on hp too and is probably a bug)

All those things really make the loss of block irrelevant. The only place block will be better is when you have to stand still or be one-shot. How often is that mechanic seen in ESO? Yeah...not present in most of the game.

Even if you wanted to make the argument "but tanks have to block" then tanks that can't tank without the block button simply wouldn't slot it before or after the changes anyway.

Yet posters here continue to pretend it is NOT the case...reality is not going to change just because you want it to or you flex forum stars.

3K HP when you already have 30K HP is meaningless really.
    HP regen is meaningless in PVP with the nerf
    Resistances are too low to be worth slotting now

It really isn't just giving up block mitigation. You are giving up the use of other mythics and monster sets. Mag Sorc keeps getting thrown around as the ones that will benefit the most. But why would a Mag Sorc drop Engine Guardian to gain 4K resistances and lose the ability to block damage in vital situations? I know I won't. Engine Guardian provides far more utility and still allows you to use a mythic item in another slot. Be better off running Malacath instead and deal even more damage. I am pretty sure just directly running Fortified Brass, Malacath, Engine Guardian and Willpower/Trainee would be a better option than losing block mitigation for 4K resistances.
    Options
  • Sandman929
    Sandman929
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Again, i would rather have some useless sets, than broken sets that ruin gameplay. Not like this game is suffering from a shortage of sets, there are a gazillion of sets already and endless builds possibilities. Broken sets outperforming everything is what kills build diveristy, not the lack of sets.

I'd rather have more useful sets, but we rarely land there.
    Options
  • ResidentContrarian
    ResidentContrarian
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The mythic still is:
    • 1 piece
    • Gives more hp regen
    • Gives resistances

It really isn't just giving up block mitigation. You are giving up the use of other mythics and monster sets. Mag Sorc keeps getting thrown around as the ones that will benefit the most. But why would a Mag Sorc drop Engine Guardian to gain 4K resistances and lose the ability to block damage in vital situations? I know I won't. Engine Guardian provides far more utility and still allows you to use a mythic item in another slot. Be better off running Malacath instead and deal even more damage. I am pretty sure just directly running Fortified Brass, Malacath, Engine Guardian and Willpower/Trainee would be a better option than losing block mitigation for 4K resistances.

It's funny, you and everyone else that doesn't like that the set was nerfed is literally proving the point.

You are now complaining that you have to make build decisions -- exactly what you didn't have to do before because it was OP.

That you choose to build in a different way, or that someone else wants to slot another mythic over it, is not proof that the set is overnerfed or not worth slotting.

What it is proof of is that you recognize you have to make build decisions. Build decisons - the exact thing you didn't have to do or won't have to do if you get the mythic in the exact form you or anyone else wants. Build decisions - the exact thing no one had to do with the first iteration version of Gaze of Sithis. Build decisions - the exact thing you have to do and account for IF there is actual balance.

Build decisions are ultimately up to your personal preference and really say absolutely nothing about whether something is or is not OP.

Personal preference is not a valid counter to anything.

Also, by mentioning that 3k hp is meaningless, hp regen is meaningless, and bringing up the resistances, it's not helping prove the nerf was unwarranted. If you would slot the mythic solely for it's resistances, it only proves that the cost-benefit, kiss-curse, or whatever you want to call it, was not in line.
    Options
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The mythic still is:
    • 1 piece
    • Gives more hp regen
    • Gives resistances

It's funny, you and everyone else that doesn't like that the set was nerfed is literally proving the point.

You are now complaining that you have to make build decisions -- exactly what you didn't have to do before because it was OP.

That you choose to build in a different way, or that someone else wants to slot another mythic over it, is not proof that the set is overnerfed or not worth slotting.

What it is proof of is that you recognize you have to make build decisions. Build decisons - the exact thing you didn't have to do or won't have to do if you get the mythic in the exact form you or anyone else wants. Build decisions - the exact thing no one had to do with the first iteration version of Gaze of Sithis. Build decisions - the exact thing you have to do and account for IF there is actual balance.

Build decisions are ultimately up to your personal preference and really say absolutely nothing about whether something is or is not OP.

Also, by mentioning that 3k hp is meaningless, hp regen is meaningless, and bringing up the resistances, it's not helping prove the nerf was unwarranted. If you would slot the mythic solely for it's resistances, it only proves that the cost-benefit, kiss-curse, or whatever you want to call it, was not in line.

Not much of a build decision when one option is trash...

And really, it was pretty strong, but this is an overnerf. 6-7K is probably a more reasonable point where is provides a real choice in builds and not just purposely gimping yourself.
    Options
  • ManDraKE
    ManDraKE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sandman929 wrote: »

I'd rather have more useful sets, but we rarely land there.

there is plenty of useful sets. The problem is that people just run copy+paste builds, basically if alcast doesnt use it, people dont use it.

And for the few people that do theorycrafting, they quickly realize that PvE theorycrafting is very limited given how dumb-down the gameplay his: HP sponges boses, avoid 1 shoots, dummy parse. With that very narrow gameplay design, you will always have 2-3 sets that are superior. That's why everyone who enjoys true theorycrafting does PvP, because is the only content in the game where you can actually get creative with builds/sets (and that's why nerfing the dumb procset meta is going to revive many sets)
    Options
  • relentless_turnip
    relentless_turnip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

The mythic still is:
    • 1 piece
    • Gives more hp regen
    • Gives resistances

Not much of a build decision when one option is trash...

And really, it was pretty strong, but this is an overnerf. 6-7K is probably a more reasonable point where is provides a real choice in builds and not just purposely gimping yourself.

I have tested on the PTS. The first iteration and the current one. This iteration is a lot more balanced and I am speaking with the bias as someone that wants to use this set. I would say the resistance should maybe be brought up a tiny bit like to 5-6k. I would use it as is though tbh.
    Options
  • xylena_lazarow
    xylena_lazarow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The 500 base hp regen you get after Battle Spirit is still niche useful.
    Edited by xylena_lazarow on May 5, 2021 1:24PM
    PC/NA || CP/Cyro || RIP soft caps
    Options
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I would say that anyone who used Thrassians before was absolutely harmed as was overall build diversity.

The set was obviously OP before but players should not have to settle for a false choice between OP and useless. We should demand that ZOS simply be better with its balancing and then, as players, we cannot simply settle for an ever-increasing number of deconstruction-tier useless sets.

We deserve better and ZOS can do better, they just have to be motivated.

[Edit to remove bait]
    Edited by [Deleted User] on May 4, 2021 6:46PM
    Options
  • relentless_turnip
    relentless_turnip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I would say that anyone who used Thrassians before was absolutely harmed as was overall build diversity.

The set was obviously OP before but players should not have to settle for a false choice between OP and useless. We should demand that ZOS simply be better with its balancing and then, as players, we cannot simply settle for an ever-increasing number of deconstruction-tier useless sets.

We deserve better and ZOS can do better, they just have to be motivated.

This entire thread is unfortunate evidence that balance(at least from the players pov) is subjective. I feel they have done a decent job balancing this set, but many do not.
    Edited by [Deleted User] on May 4, 2021 6:50PM
    Options
  • merpins
    merpins
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    And here I was thinking they'd release it without a nerf to help boost sales of the next update, color me impressed. Still overtuned and too weak to use, but I mean I'd rather have a bad item than one that is too good. A bad item has a chance to be buffed into something decent. A great item will almost always get nerfed into the ground (like this one). But since it's before release, it has a chance to bounce back into something more balanced.
    Options
  • dave_harter_ESO
    dave_harter_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    And here I was thinking they'd release it without a nerf to help boost sales of the next update, color me impressed. Still overtuned and too weak to use, but I mean I'd rather have a bad item than one that is too good. A bad item has a chance to be buffed into something decent. A great item will almost always get nerfed into the ground (like this one). But since it's before release, it has a chance to bounce back into something more balanced.

I do not have an issue with tuning an item to better fit a purpose. The opportunity cost on the Gaze of Sithis is just ridiculously high for the little benefit that the mythic gives. In my case in my pvp setup, I would loose both Earthgore along with Snow Treaders / inability to block for 3k health and 4k armor. Truthfully the set is so bad now I honestly wonder if they would not be better off not releasing the mythic in the current patch and rethinking the concept a bit.
    Options
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel they have done a decent job balancing this set, but many do not.

1 iteration of the set: Balanced? No. Fun? Yes.
    2 iteration of the set: Balanced? Yes. Fun? No.

I mean yeah they did a good job for quickly fixing it due to outcry. Because people would not tolerate this abomination in live.

But new mythics sound.. a bit.. dull? Let's check through all of em so I can explain my point better:

Bloodlord's Embrace - awesome mythic. Not OP, but this one can allow blocking in flost staff in 1vs1 infinitely.
    Malacath's Band of Brutality - good mythic. Idea of giving up something for something. Overtuned at 25% and bad interaction with recently buffed procs made it toxic.
    Pearls of Ehlnofey - awesome mythic. Hard to use, insane levels of ulti/second if you do it right (no, seriously, I will do a next video with a build resolving around this item).
    Ring of the Pale Order - awesome mythic, tho OP in PvE in current state. In PvP in disabled cross-heals for personal DPS heals, which is fun and not broken. Will be deleted from PvP in the next patch.
    Ring of the Wild Hunt - awesome mythic. Lots of movement speed for builds that want it. Utility in cyro and overland.
    Snow Treaders - good mythic. Bit hard to utilize, but I did a build with it and Aetherial Ascention.
    Thrassian Stranglers - interesting idea, poor implementation. Needs stacks to be persistent across zones and death to be relevant in PvP. Was broken in PvE in first iterations because they don't care about toughness.
    Torc of Tonal Constancy - dull mythic. Hard to proc, adds not that much to justify running.

Now let's look at new ones:
    Death Dealer's Fete - kinda meh one. 7.0.2 address the issue of feeling underpowered. I'd say 2.6k resources at max power is still pretty meh. Some additional bonus at top stacks might do the trick.
    Harpooner's Wading Kilt - new Thrassian Stranglers. Getting hit is almost irrelevant in PvE. "but it now also has a 1 second cooldown to help prevent losing all of your stacks in Player versus Player situations when getting hit by multiple attacks at once." is a joke, as if player wouldn't attack you in the next second. Obviously power (crit damage) is nerfed, same as Thrassian's.
    Shapeshifter's Chain - dull mythic. Reduced cost is non-essential. Increase in stats in non-essential. Added together: still non-essential. None of my characters will run it, even ones that use transform abilities a lot. Add 5s to the duration of abilities, and it might change.

So you can see, proportion of good ones to dull and meh ones is astonishing in this patch.
    Edited by divnyi on May 5, 2021 10:08AM
    Options
  • Synapsis123
    Synapsis123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was tempted to buy the DLC to test out this item, but I don't think it's worth it now. Losing the ability to block is just too huge.
    Options
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When it comes to video games, term "Balanced", in practice means: nerfed (often multiple times, or to the point that something is no longer useful).

For Example:
    - Snipe is balanced
    - NB is balanced
    - Vamp is balanced
    - Troll King is balanced
    - Hybrids are balanced
    - Sap Tanks are balanced
    (and the list goes on, but you get the idea).

So yeah, GoS is balanced too...
    Options