Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Update 30 Combat Preview

ZOS_BrianWheeler
ZOS_BrianWheeler
PvP & Combat Lead
Hey gang!

Today, we’d like to share some new features and updates coming your way in Update 30! In this Update, we’re focusing on some concerns regarding item set procs and continuing our Champion System improvements, as well as several fixes for server performance and general bugs/balance. You’ll be able to read the full details in next week’s PTS patch notes.

Proc Sets

The growing concerns over the “proc set meta” for the past few updates has not fallen on deaf ears. We understand the frustration of feeling required to run these types of sets and fighting against them in PVP. These sets are seen as “free” sources of damage, healing and survivability, all of which come with minimal tradeoffs. We want these proc choices to mean something, rather than just the de facto method of building a character without paying for it in some way.

With that stated, in Update 30 we are making all item sets that deal damage or heal scale with player stats. You will need to make a conscious build choice when looking at which item sets to include in your build, rather than simply equipping three proc sets for that aforementioned “free damage”. Damage sets will scale with Spell or Weapon damage, whichever is higher. Healing sets will scale with Maximum Magicka or Stamina, whichever is higher. Other sets that fall outside of that functionality will likely scale with Max Health, as well as a handful of other unique ways. Full details about which sets scale with which stats will be displayed in the tooltips for your item sets.

The effect we expect from this will be an overall buff in PVE territory as many players build for maximum efficiency regarding their stats. In PVP, we expect lower efficacy from item set procs as builds for PVP typically tend to focus on several stats that will take away from the potential to deep dive into specializing into specific stats. This also means that if you opt to run a full build of proc sets, you’ll be trading off a large source of stats for your build and you’ll be limited to gaining them from passives, enchants, and consumables, significantly limiting your ability to build as you could before. It’s possible to get to the values of “proc sets” pre-U30 if you specialize your stats for it, as well as getting higher values than before if you go all in to building around their scaling, but we believe this will lead to a healthier balance of damage and healing versus the “free procs” you get now.

Champion System

In Update 29, we introduced the revamped Champion System and indicated we would build upon it in the future. With Update 30, we are continuing our dedication to this system by adding several new slotted stars for healing and support-focused builds. We also are keenly aware of the passive power this system added in the initial offering and the concerns you all have about getting optimal builds as soon as possible.

To address these concerns, we are reducing the number of stages on passive stars in the Warfare and Fitness constellations by two more stages, to a maximum of 2 stages per passive star. This will greatly lower the number of points required to get to a more optimal build in both of those constellations, while also taking some of the power out of the high-end experience. We’ve also added a new and final sub-constellation (each tree can have up to 3) in the Warfare tree focused on healing, offering new slottable stars that support the healing playstyle, and added a few old favorites from the original Champion System focused on heavy and light attack damage to offer some core damage bonuses for players using their basic attacks.

As always, you can also expect bug fixes and updates to existing item sets that you can read about in the PTS patch notes, along with many adjustments to AE abilities for better server performance. We hope you enjoy your time on the PTS and look forward to reading your feedback for Update 30 next week!

Wheeler
ESO PVP Lead & Combat Lead
Staff Post
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I just wanna point out that I was the first one to suggest the proc scaling.
    Thank you!
  • NettleCarrier
    NettleCarrier
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Firstmep wrote: »
    Thank you!

Grats? Lol
    GM of Gold Coast Corsairs - PCNA
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see that sneaky nerf to cut all blue and red passives in half. Ouch.
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Thank you!

Grats? Lol

Little known fact, way back when elude was a useless skill morph I suggested adding major expedition to it, and well the rest is history xD
  • nqvarihs
    nqvarihs
    ✭✭✭
    only took a year to 'adress' the proc meta. no class balance?
  • TPishek
    TPishek
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure glad we learned about all the passive stars being cut in half after the month of events that incentivized us to grind to insane levels and not beforehand.
  • Aruu
    Aruu
    ✭✭✭
    Does this mean that all "proc sets" that do not deal damage or heal players will remain unchanged? Such as Seducer or Clever Alchemist as examples.
  • oscarovegren
    oscarovegren
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you!

Haha yeah sure man!
  • Maythor
    Maythor
    ✭✭✭✭
    So collect more CP, for less effect? What is the point in a system that reduces your power each update?
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maythor wrote: »
    So collect more CP, for less effect? What is the point in a system that reduces your power each update?

Here, have an uncapped cp system!

Oh, that's too much power. Let's cut that down a bit.

A bit more...

Just a little more...

There you go, your wet noodle is now ready!
  • Cirantille
    Cirantille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm really glad to hear that I can focus on playing the game rather than grinding cp, thank you
    Edited by Cirantille on April 15, 2021 7:57PM
  • Bobby's_UserID
    Bobby's_UserID
    ✭✭✭
    To address these concerns, we are reducing the number of stages on passive stars in the Warfare and Fitness constellations by two more stages, to a maximum of 2 stages per passive star. This will greatly lower the number of points required to get to a more optimal build in both of those constellations, while also taking some of the power out of the high-end experience.

Can you clarify which stars this will concern? Simply because some passive stars like "Tempered Soul", "Nimble Protector" and "Mystic Tenacity" have 5 stages, so reducing them by 2 would be more than your specified max of 2.

Also, how will this work on "Flawless Ritual"/"Battle Mastery"?
    Edited by Bobby's_UserID on April 15, 2021 8:05PM
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please

To address these concerns, we are reducing the number of stages on passive stars in the Warfare and Fitness constellations by two more stages, to a maximum of 2 stages per passive star. This will greatly lower the number of points required to get to a more optimal build in both of those constellations, while also taking some of the power out of the high-end experience.

@ZOS_BrianWheeler Since this change will percumably affect the penetration constellation, so that it will be reduced in half, please tell us how stamina PvE DDs who were already struggling to reach pen cap without severe build and group-wide
    alterations during this patch, will fare in the next patch? Did you guys consider this? Stamina dps is already obliterated from end-game, and this will make things even worse.

• Zalathorm
    Zalathorm
    ✭✭✭✭
    What about the health and mitigation passives? Are you really going to nerf dps, pen, damage mitigation, and health all at once? I would like to see zos get godslayer on pts with these changes.

Also, Stam is even less viable

And relequen will be best in slot on mag.
    Edited by Zalathorm on April 15, 2021 8:06PM
  • BeNashty
    BeNashty
    ✭✭
    [snip] It's funny how a returning player can come back with sub 5 deaths on average in BGs considering that i'm playing against people using proc sets...To be honest, there are alot of casual players that just do not have the reflexes to keep up. Proc sets are not instant kills, if you run in 1v4, you should die, not be able to run around in the middle of the fray taking next to no damage. If you remove procs, lets see a nerf to armor/res and impen too.

[Edited for Baiting]
    Edited by Psiion on April 15, 2021 8:31PM
  • hands0medevil
    hands0medevil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maythor wrote: »

I guess the real end-game in eso is simply leaving the game, because you are too stronk
  • Urzigurumash
    Urzigurumash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This also means that if you opt to run a full build of proc sets, you’ll be trading off a large source of stats for your build and you’ll be limited to gaining them from passives, enchants, and consumables, significantly limiting your ability to build as you could before. It’s possible to get to the values of “proc sets” pre-U30 if you specialize your stats for it, as well as getting higher values than before if you go all in to building around their scaling, but we believe this will lead to a healthier balance of damage and healing versus the “free procs” you get now.

Thank you. The absolute best possible solution. A great day for ESO PvP.

Xbox NA AD / Day 1 ScrubDK / Wood Orc Cuisine Enthusiast
  • hands0medevil
    hands0medevil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cirantille wrote: »
    I'm really glad to hear that I can focus on playing the game rather than grinding cp, thank you

Isn't grinding CP also playing the game? Afaik grinding cp is not cheating or stealing.
  • AntonShan
    AntonShan
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jaimeh wrote: »
    Please

@ZOS_BrianWheeler Since this change will percumably affect the penetration constellation, so that it will be reduced in half, please tell us how stamina PvE DDs who were already struggling to reach pen cap without severe build and group-wide
    alterations during this patch, will fare in the next patch? Did you guys consider this? Stamina dps is already obliterated from end-game, and this will make things even worse.

LGTM
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    BeNashty wrote: »
    [snip]It's funny how a returning player can come back with sub 5 deaths on average in BGs considering that i'm playing against people using proc sets...To be honest, there are alot of casual players that just do not have the reflexes to keep up. Proc sets are not instant kills, if you run in 1v4, you should die, not be able to run around in the middle of the fray taking next to no damage. If you remove procs, lets see a nerf to armor/res and impen too.

[Edited for Baiting]

You will still be able to run procsets, they just won't be the bulk of your damage the same way they are now.
    Also procs enabled people to build stupidly tanky while dishing out huge dmg, this change directly addresses that.
    Edited by Psiion on April 15, 2021 8:31PM
  • Alentarlixia
    Alentarlixia
    ✭✭✭✭

to a maximum of 2 stages per passive star. This will greatly lower the number of points required to get to a more optimal build

And you think the best moment to write this is after a 3-week-long-grind, yes?
  • Urzigurumash
    Urzigurumash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [snip]It's funny how a returning player can come back with sub 5 deaths on average in BGs considering that i'm playing against people using proc sets...To be honest, there are alot of casual players that just do not have the reflexes to keep up. Proc sets are not instant kills, if you run in 1v4, you should die, not be able to run around in the middle of the fray taking next to no damage. If you remove procs, lets see a nerf to armor/res and impen too.

[Edited for Baiting]

"as well as getting higher values than before if you go all in to building around their scaling, but we believe this will lead to a healthier balance of damage and healing versus the “free procs” you get now"

Proc sets will have more damage potential now, with that commensurate loss of defense and sustain that so many wanted. This was the best possible solution to resolve the proc meta without condemning all proc sets to suffer the "Pelinal's Problem" of being a set which only transforms the nature of your damage, rather than augmenting it. It's quite likely the only losers in this change are those running multiple free damage or free healing procs.
    Edited by Psiion on April 15, 2021 8:32PM
    Xbox NA AD / Day 1 ScrubDK / Wood Orc Cuisine Enthusiast
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you!

Haha yeah sure man!

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/537296/procsets-scaling

July 2020.

I did go into many threads about procsets and made this suggestion over and over, and it caught on and others started to make the same argument. :)

Just in case you thought i was joking XD
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you!

Grats? Lol

Little known fact, way back when elude was a useless skill morph I suggested adding major expedition to it, and well the rest is history xD

My big "Recommend it before they do it" example was a post suggesting something called "Trait change tokens", 4 months before transmutation was announced.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/351117/a-compromise-suggestion-for-itemization-trait-change-tokens
  • BeNashty
    BeNashty
    ✭✭
    Once again the babies prevail...It's funny how a returning player can come back with sub 5 deaths on average in BGs considering that i'm playing against people using proc sets...To be honest, there are alot of casual players that just do not have the reflexes to keep up. Proc sets are not instant kills, if you run in 1v4, you should die, not be able to run around in the middle of the fray taking next to no damage. If you remove procs, lets see a nerf to armor/res and impen too.

You will still be able to run procsets, they just won't be the bulk of your damage the same way they are now.
    Also procs enabled people to build stupidly tanky while dishing out huge dmg, this change directly addresses that.

I just want Cyrodil to be fun again =(
  • redmacil
    redmacil
    Soul Shriven
    ... we are reducing the number of stages on passive stars in the Warfare and Fitness constellations by two more stages, to a maximum of 2 stages per passive star.

Can we have clarification on if this will make, say, the Block Cost Reduction CP go from 20 per stage to 40 per stage? So total power stays the same, the CP required is just cut in half? Or is the power cut in half as well?
  • Faded
    Faded
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ... in Update 30 we are making all item sets that deal damage or heal scale with player stats. You will need to make a conscious build choice when looking at which item sets to include in your build, rather than simply equipping three proc sets for that aforementioned “free damage”. Damage sets will scale with Spell or Weapon damage, whichever is higher. Healing sets will scale with Maximum Magicka or Stamina, whichever is higher. Other sets that fall outside of that functionality will likely scale with Max Health, as well as a handful of other unique ways. Full details about which sets scale with which stats will be displayed in the tooltips for your item sets.

Excellent. This is great news.

• Lord_Imrhial
    Lord_Imrhial
    ✭✭✭

These sets are seen as “free” sources of damage, healing and survivability, all of which come with minimal tradeoffs.

Do you have any information on how this will affect Tanks that are doing solo content?

I understand the concerns with "free damage", but I would argue that something of that nature is needed (or at least scale-able) for Tanks in order to do solo content. When I first started playing again this year I remember that before I had proc sets I would spend 10 minutes alone clicking/auto-attacking a single dungeon boss down with just my abilities and auto-attacks, having proc sets still takes some time but its an absolute life-saver for both my joy and fingers :D and I don't dread trying to do stuff on my own anymore. I just really, really do not want it to return to that state again if proc sets scale with DPS-style stats leaving Tanks in the dust for solo content.

I love the group content (where Tanks are Tanks and DPS are DPS, and Heals are Heals), and I also enjoy some PVP (where proc sets have been in debate lately), but even more-so I love the solo-game that ESO offers and in being able to do things on my own - and if Tanks don't have a way to get "free damage" I think it will kill that aspect for me. :/
    Edited by Lord_Imrhial on April 15, 2021 8:37PM
  • Sun7dance
    Sun7dance
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Imagine Sets like Leeching and Crimson would scale with your max. health...

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47l2y2086b1u0f2jeyeweb6m4u2as7c9ylg0lppew8&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g
    PS5|EU
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you!

Let's hope that the scaling is aggressive and not something trivial like 3000 Weapon/Spell Damage = 100% proc value.