Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
In response to the ongoing issue, the North American PC/Mac megaserver is currently unavailable while we perform maintenance. https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656543/temporarily-taking-down-the-pts-the-pc-na-live-server

ZOS integrated spyware RedShell by mistake, deleted from live, still in PTS folder

• Alinhbo_Tyaka
    Alinhbo_Tyaka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cpt_Teemo wrote: »
    https://redshell.io/home

i just left this here
    i have a knowledge than ZOS added this spy utility into eso with latest patches

enjoy new level of targeting ADs on main screen in a future

guys we need a guide how to disable this library
    any programmers here who can do a short FAQ?

P.S. @ZOS_GinaBruno lady you know not officially informing us about collecting this data and their intent of usage along with instructions on how to delete said data is already a violation of the European laws?

HOWTO disable it, workaround:
    edit your host file on windows

Press the Windows key.
    Type Notepad in the search field.
    In the search results, right-click Notepad and select Run as administrator.
    From Notepad, open the following file: c:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts.
    Make the necessary changes to the file.
    Click File > Save to save your changes.

add

0.0.0.0 api.redshell.io

at the bottom

This will block traffic from your computer to that server. You can block it from reporting through your modem or your router as well.

You are correct the practice implemented is illegal in Europe.

Problem is ZoS isn't in Europe.

It doesn't matter. They do business in Europe and have to comply with EU law to do business there.

i just left this here

P.S. @ZOS_GinaBruno lady you know not officially informing us about collecting this data and their intent of usage along with instructions on how to delete said data is already a violation of the European laws?

Press the Windows key.

add

0.0.0.0 api.redshell.io

at the bottom

This will block traffic from your computer to that server. You can block it from reporting through your modem or your router as well.

It doesn't matter. They do business in Europe and have to comply with EU to do business there.

Edited by Alinhbo_Tyaka on May 31, 2018 8:36PM
  • PouletRico
    PouletRico
    ✭✭✭

No need to necessarily reverse engineer, they freely give the important parts, as they want Devs and marketing teams to use their product.

No, they are not giving what is inside the DLL. There is a API Reference, which is not related to the DLL file (the DLL file use the API, not the other way around). But no need to reverse it, just block the DNS on your firewall, like posted before.
    Edited by PouletRico on May 31, 2018 8:37PM
    @PouletRico - EU PC Megaserver
    PouletRico - TankDK - EP
    Experimental Kamikaze - StamDK - AD

I'm doing my best, but I'm not a native speaker
  • Cpt_Teemo
    Cpt_Teemo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

i just left this here

Press the Windows key.

add

0.0.0.0 api.redshell.io

at the bottom

It doesn't matter. They do business in Europe and have to comply with EU to do business there.

So that means the whole of Europe will cut off connection of all Europe users to ZoS now?
  • Wreuntzylla
    Wreuntzylla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

i just left this here

Press the Windows key.

add

0.0.0.0 api.redshell.io

at the bottom

Essentially, the EU could prevent them from selling in the EU, a sizeable market.
  • Cadbury
    Cadbury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Raideen wrote: »
    Caran wrote: »
    Ok, for me it was the last straw. I bought the Imperial Edition when the game came out, bought Morrowind digital collectors and Summerset upgrade. But I very much resent the huge shop advertisement every time I log in one of my characters and I'm not really happy about the underhand way redshell has been put on my hard drive. Result: cancelled my sub. They are not even asking why you are cancelling it, so I'm putting my reasons here.

I cancelled my sub as well. I am sick of companies tracking and storing my data to sell it to someone else.

You're going to be very lonely without the internet.

Or your cell phone.

Or the US (insert country here) Mail...

I'm going off the grid. Buy nothing ever again and live off the land.
    "If a person is truly desirous of something, perhaps being set on fire does not seem so bad."
  • Kuwhar
    Kuwhar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ok, for me it was the last straw. I bought the Imperial Edition when the game came out, bought Morrowind digital collectors and Summerset upgrade. But I very much resent the huge shop advertisement every time I log in one of my characters and I'm not really happy about the underhand way redshell has been put on my hard drive. Result: cancelled my sub. They are not even asking why you are cancelling it, so I'm putting my reasons here.

I cancelled my sub as well. I am sick of companies tracking and storing my data to sell it to someone else.

Better get off the internet then.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2017/03/29/what-to-expect-now-that-internet-providers-can-collect-and-sell-your-web-browser-history/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.690c7071b4e5

I dont think people realize how prevalent this practice is. An ISP has direct knowedge of and tracks all of your data/traffic.
  • Caran
    Caran
    ✭✭✭

Or your cell phone.

Have we already reached a time when people say "you're going to be very lonely without the internet"?
    No, I'll not be - I have friends in real life.

"Or your cell phone" ... Guess what? I have a 10 year old cell phone that is turned off 99% of the time because I don't need it.
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kuwhar wrote: »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2017/03/29/what-to-expect-now-that-internet-providers-can-collect-and-sell-your-web-browser-history/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.690c7071b4e5

I dont think people realize how prevalent this practice is. An ISP has direct knowedge of and tracks all of your data/traffic.
    And not to alarm anyone, but they know you're looking at this right now. :open_mouth:

Take a deep breath, people. It'll be okay.

Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • Alinhbo_Tyaka
    Alinhbo_Tyaka
    ✭✭✭✭✭

i just left this here

Press the Windows key.

add

0.0.0.0 api.redshell.io

at the bottom

So that means the whole of Europe will cut off connection of all Europe users to ZoS now?

In theory. In practice most companies pay the fine and change their product. Ask Google and Microsoft why they decided it was better business to pay fine to the EU rather than drop the market.
  • Cadbury
    Cadbury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

And not to alarm anyone, but they know you're looking at this right now. :open_mouth:

OMG, for real??!?

-puts clothes on-

...They can't see me, right?
    "If a person is truly desirous of something, perhaps being set on fire does not seem so bad."
  • InvitationNotFound
    InvitationNotFound
    ✭✭✭✭✭

as far as i know that concerns only the usa (paywall, not going to pay for the article), right?
    the usa is quite in a bad position anyway as money for a few is all that matters. see net neutrality. other countries aren't as bad in such regards, yet...
    We want firing off Dark Exchange in the middle of combat to feel awesome... - The Wrobler
    You know you don't have to be here right? - Rich Lambert
    Verrätst du mir deinen Beruf? Ich würde auch gerne mal Annahmen dazu schreiben, wie simple die Aufgaben anderer sind. - Kai Schober

Addons:
    RdK Group Tool: esoui DE EN FR
    Port to Friend's House: esoui DE EN FR - Library: DE EN
    Yet another Compass: esoui DE EN FR
    Group Buffs: esoui DE EN FR
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Or your cell phone.

Have we already reached a time when people say "you're going to be very lonely without the internet"?

"Or your cell phone" ... Guess what? I have a 10 year old cell phone that is turned off 99% of the time because I don't need it.
    Lol. Wasn't meant literally. I take it you have no use for information then?

I could do without electricity too, in case they're reading my thoughts through the wires. Given, well, reality I don't think it will come down that. At least it not for me.

Enjoy hand delivering notes to your friends and checking dead drops for information on other potential conspiracies.
    The Divine Prosecution isn't real...

Edited by Merlin13KAGL on May 31, 2018 8:48PM
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • Mureel
    Mureel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Marginis wrote: »
    Mureel wrote: »
    yes, but i personally dont like this behaviour

Welcome to the club. Now, get cozy and comfy while nothing changes because they own the game and do whatever they feel like to earn more money, wich seems to be they sole, only, and unique objective right now.

Why would a business otherwise exist?

To benefit society by offering a good or service not otherwise provided in a responsible and ethical fashion?

There is nothing unethical about a business existing for profit.

Why an organisation would exist is your thing.

The bottom line of any business who wants to stay in business IS the bottom line.

Bummer, but true.
    Edited by Mureel on May 31, 2018 8:54PM
  • WarMasterCyp
    WarMasterCyp
    ✭✭✭

i just left this here

Press the Windows key.

add

0.0.0.0 api.redshell.io

at the bottom

No, If this reaches the authorities then ZOS will be fined heavily.
  • Odnoc
    Odnoc
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is a big deal, far more then people realize.

If you don't think Google analyzes your data anonymously, you're seriously deluded.

There is a difference between a free service doing it, and a service that is paid for doing it.
  • Caran
    Caran
    ✭✭✭

Or your cell phone.

Lol. Wasn't mean literally. I take it you have no use for information then?

I could do without electricity too, in case they're reading my thoughts through the wires. Given, well, reality I don't think it will come down that. At least it not for me.

Enjoy hand delivering notes to your friends and checking dead drops for information on other potential conspiracies.

Sigh ... first of all, you might stop assuming certain things. Where I live has a certain influence on what my provider or some companies can legally do - the situation might not be the same everywhere.
    Secondly: I can get a lot of information from newspapers, magazines, radio, the TV (and certain channels in my home country offer very good, very balanced programs) and ... gasp ... books.
    Thirdly: I don't know about your country, but our laws protect people's privacy to quite a high degree - which means I have no problem sending letters to friends through mail.
    Furthermore: I totally know (and up to a degree accept) that data is collected. That does not mean I like it. And if / when I can do something against that ... well, I might actually do it. My life does not depend on this game (I also have a number of offline games I really like ... and some other hobbies which don't involve the computer at all). If more people cancelled their subs and wrote about it, maybe ZOS would get a certain message?
    I don't live in constant fear of somebody collecting data about me ... but a game installing such a program on my computer without my knowledge (and mind you: not a ftp game, but one I bought and subbed) is something I don't like - and I'm showing that dislike. Which, I admit, is much easier here than with other software I might (have to) use.
  • Raideen
    Raideen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Or your cell phone.

Or your cell phone.

Agreed. These people assume that because we are on the internet or play a game that we also subscribe to the same lifestyle they have. Not me. I don't use facebook, I don't use google, I don't use any social media site. I don't own an apple or android phone and often operate through a VPN.

Their slanderous remarks in this regard is to make people who do not like data tracking to look like conspiracy theorists (which is defaming) so that our opinions do not hold weight to the mass readership.
  • Cpt_Teemo
    Cpt_Teemo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

i just left this here

Press the Windows key.

add

0.0.0.0 api.redshell.io

at the bottom

Good then maybe they'll think twice without warning people ahead of time by silently installing spyware
  • WarMasterCyp
    WarMasterCyp
    ✭✭✭

i just left this here

Press the Windows key.

add

0.0.0.0 api.redshell.io

at the bottom

Good then maybe they'll think twice without warning people ahead of time by silently installing spyware

Problem is, who is gonna report this to the authorities?
  • Raideen
    Raideen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Welcome to the club. Now, get cozy and comfy while nothing changes because they own the game and do whatever they feel like to earn more money, wich seems to be they sole, only, and unique objective right now.

To benefit society by offering a good or service not otherwise provided in a responsible and ethical fashion?

The bottom line of any business who wants to stay in business IS the bottom line.

Bummer, but true.

Who are you to determine what is ethical and what is not? Honest question because if the other poster feels its unethical, that is their right as an opinion and its not your right to take that from them.
  • Cadbury
    Cadbury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

i just left this here

Press the Windows key.

add

0.0.0.0 api.redshell.io

at the bottom

Problem is, who is gonna report this to the authorities?

Whistleblowers, presumably.

They exist in every country.
  • Marabornwingrion
    Marabornwingrion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Let's make this thread stay on front page forever, so it can warn both new and veterans players.

And of course @ZOS_GinaBruno and rest of devs won't say a word about this, because announcing new flashy mount in crown store is easier.
  • Bucky Balls
    Bucky Balls
    ✭✭✭

It does not launch if you run eso64.exe directly. I suspect - but do not know - that this library exists simply to generate machine specific debug data for game crashes and report it.

Incidentally, I bought my game via steam but never use either steam nor the eso launcher (except for patching) to launch the game.

Yes it does. I skip the ESO launcher is redshell was loaded as part of eso64.exe processing. You can see it if you use ProcessExplorer to display the dll's loaded by the game.

[snip]

My post referred to one in debug directory (the only version I looked at). But I can confirm your observation: there is another redshell.dll located in the game/client directory that is loaded with eso64.exe. I may take a peek at it later, if I can be bothered to see if there are any differences(I doubt there are).

Thank you.

edit1/edit3[1-off glitch with announcements]: blocking /game/client/redshell.dll and launching eso64.exe seems to result in loss of 'server announcements' in log-in screen but otherwise doesn't seem to make a difference.

edit2: blocking it arguably won't make a difference to the machine data collected/transmitted anyway - the functionality it provides is probably processed/communicated via eso64.exe anyway, when required.
    Edited by Bucky Balls on May 31, 2018 11:30PM
  • Geroken777
    Geroken777
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Big-brother-is-watching-you-intrusive.png?v=1497978484
    The self-righteous shall choke on their sanctimony.
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Or your cell phone.

Or your cell phone.

Agreed. These people assume that because we are on the internet or play a game that we also subscribe to the same lifestyle they have. Not me. I don't use facebook, I don't use google, I don't use any social media site. I don't own an apple or android phone and often operate through a VPN.

Their slanderous remarks in this regard is to make people who do not like data tracking to look like conspiracy theorists (which is defaming) so that our opinions do not hold weight to the mass readership.
    You mean, like public forums?

*Yawn*

My assumption is that in the technologically advanced society we have access to that people would want to use all the tools available to them. The internet being a pretty big tool, in that regard.

I doubt (and I'm assuming here) anyone here doesn't use the internet for anything useful.

In fact, Insert some irony here: If not for the internet, neither of you would currently be aware of this horrible thing on the internet.

You can think you're flying "under the radar" however much you like. I think you'd find you're mistaken.

Use the tools. Don't use the tools.

Everyone will go on without skipping a beat.

(I'm just advocating that either choice you make, you're informed enough and understand enough to know why that's your choice. And if you're not, guess what, it's conjecture not based on fact. Pretty sure that's the textbook definition of "Conspiracy," certainly the definition of "theory.")

Insert more irony: This part:
    is, itself, a conspiracy theory.

How awesome is that?

Edited by Merlin13KAGL on May 31, 2018 9:27PM

Earn it.

• DuskMarine
    DuskMarine
    ✭✭✭✭✭

some places in the world this stuffs illegal people in the usa just get rid of it while people outside have laws protecting them from it.
  • Daimmyo
    Daimmyo
    ✭✭✭
    I am generally fine with ZOS keeping stats on me with regards to their product, as long as it's not my private, personal data - and as long as they are not doing anything out there with third parties and my data - without my consent.

Why?

I work for a statistical research web service agency that handles a lots of personal data and potentially some sensitive data as well.

(part of the healthcare test research and clinical trials for drugs)

Policies here are strict, but access to certain information is a must for us web admins if we want to keep our system secured, prevent fraud, and protect ourselves from breaches.

It's a cold war out there - and it's quite obvious that meta is changing here on web.

RedShell though is beyond me, but some people brought excellent info on it - thanks guys.

Now, everything we do in our line of business has a clear and transparent consent, for each sensitive issue that needs to be covered. It's mainly because this part of the web is already regulated by certain professional codes of conducts.

People need to know what happens in the process in the background, they should be provided with clear guidelines and information on the process, and should be allowed to opt out.

GDPR also says that if you opt out on certain policies, you should be still allowed to use services.

I believe it would be this RedShell case, but I'm not a lawyer, don't' hold onto my words here.

I spent last few months setting up safeguards and policies to be compliant with GDPR and I had a chance to get to know regulations.

Same thing will likely happen in USA very soon. US clients, regardless if you work or not with EU citizens, are demanding GDPR compliance.
  • HeroOfNone
    HeroOfNone
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wonder if this is part of the price of daily rewards, more data tracking...

I think this should be a bit more upfront on what's being tracked and sold by ZOS. I expect some data skimming when I play most games now adays, but Redshell.io seems shady given what it's promising marketers.
    Herfi Driderkitty of the Aldmeri Dominion
    Find me on : Twitch | Youtube | Twitter | Reddit
  • WarMasterCyp
    WarMasterCyp
    ✭✭✭
    "A new data protection law, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), is now in effect across the European Union." I guess ZOS didn't hear about this lol
  • Mureel
    Mureel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Bummer, but true.

Who are you to determine what is ethical and what is not? Honest question because if the other poster feels its unethical, that is their right as an opinion and its not your right to take that from them.

You need to reread, carefully. I never said a damn thing about what they said; I put forth my OWN opinion, and I use the word BUSINESS like the dictionary does. Not in some snowflake way that doesn't mean what it means.

Bethesda is a BUSINESS. Not an organisation. As such its entire POINT OF EXISTENCE - such as any business, is to make money.
    That is a fact, not an opinion.

My opinion is that there is nothing unethical in a business existing for profit.
    Edited by Mureel on May 31, 2018 9:43PM