Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Official Discussion Thread for Crown Crates

• UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't read this thread until today, frankly because I've had a really awful week IRL and I didn't want to even come to the forums and feed my terrible mood with more negativity around Crown Crates.

On Monday I received one of those emails that ZOS has been sending out to some players offering an option to gift crown store purchases to other players, and asking for my feedback on the crown store in general. I wasn't in a good state of mind to reply to it then, but today I did, and my reply is relevant to this thread so after reading the thread through I thought I'd post my email to ZOS here:
    Between the initial purchase (of the physical Imperial limited edition version of the game that came with the book and statue), my continual subscription since PC launch, and the purchase of crown packs I’ve spent almost $1000 on ESO just on this account. And I have several accounts. I obviously don’t spend nearly as much on my other accounts as I do on my main account, and I haven’t maintained a continual subscription on the others, but even with that I’d estimate that I’ve spent probably $1500+ on ESO.

Obviously I like the game a lot, and obviously I decided that I was OK with the switch from sub-only to buy-to-play because the way the crown store has been handled so far has largely been what I would consider a good balance between providing things that I’m interested in getting, without becoming predatory or pay-to-win.

I tend to think that the crown store pricing strategy for DLCs has been fine, and I’m mostly fine with the pricing strategy for cosmetic items. Cosmetics obviously have different target markets than DLCs, and different measures of success, so in my opinion it’s OK to have a pretty wide variety of prices for cosmetics. A couple of the cosmetic items have been on the high end of what I consider to be an acceptable price, but mostly I think the prices for cosmetics are fine.

I think you may need to re-examine your pricing strategy for various “functional” items for sale in the crown store. Some of them (most consumables, race changes, etc) I’d be unlikely to spend crowns on in any case, but others I’ll simply never spend anything on because I absolutely don’t feel they’re worth the price. The banker and merchant assistants are the most glaring example of this. I wouldn’t expect them to be particularly cheap, but even with that the prices are ridiculous. A bundle of the 2 of them at a discounted price might be enough to convince me to buy them. As it is, there’s only ever been 1 time when I was playing and I wished I had one of them, so I can’t even come close to justifying the price.

The biggest thing that I would like you to add to the crown store is a token that can be used up in order to create a custom costume. I wrote a long and detailed post about this concept on the forums under the Crown Store sub-forum, so I won’t repeat myself here. I would spend probably 10K+ crowns on costume creation tokens, and the lower the cost of the individual tokens the more likely I’d be to spend more total crowns on them (within limits, obviously, I would never expect the tokens to cost less than the cheapest pre-made costumes).

Now here’s the part of this email I want you to pay the most attention to. I’m very seriously considering cancelling my subscription and never spending another penny on ESO. Maybe I’d stop playing entirely, maybe I wouldn’t. The reason is simple: the Crown Crates. I mentioned earlier that one of the reasons I’ve stuck with the game and maintained my subscription since the switch from the sub-only model is that I’ve felt the crown store hasn’t become predatory. The Crown Crates are predatory.

When the idea of Crown Crates was first announced, I thought it was a bad idea right from the beginning, but I was willing to wait and see. I was hopeful that it wouldn’t be as bad as I feared, and that I’d be able to just say “well, I hate the idea of lottery boxes so I won’t buy them myself, but ZOS made them fair so I don’t feel bad about continuing to support ESO.” I’ve been on PTS. Unless really major changes are made to the way the Crown Crates work, I don’t feel I can continue to support ESO.

For my entire adult life I’ve worked for a company whose entire reason to exist is to help people and be a force for positive change in the community. The ethics of a company are a huge factor for me when it comes to deciding whether to buy that company’s product or otherwise do business with them. Crown Crates, in their present form, are simply unethical. They prey on customers by giving them a minuscule opportunity to get anything that they actually want, while loading them up with garbage that they have no interest in. The intent is obviously to suck in whales who will keep buying crates (and keep buying crowns to pay for them) each season until they get everything that they wanted from that season’s crates. The major problem is that most people who gamble are people who can’t afford to keep spending money gambling.

In order to make Crown Crates something that can be considered ethical, you need to at a minimum make the following changes:
    • Either entirely remove items that players may be unable to use (for example: cosmetics that can only be used by a particular race or sex, riding lessons which are useless to someone whose riding skills are all maxed-out), or always allow those items to be redeemed for their full “cost” in gems.
    • Increase the chances of getting the more rare items.
    • Increase the quantity of consumables received with each card (it doesn’t necessarily have to be a big increase).
    • Either allow players to choose to redeem any card for gems, or if players are still limited in being able to get gems for cards then increase the redemption value to be the same as the cost to buy that item with gems.
    Here’s hoping I can continue to support ESO.

There's not really anything in there that others haven't already said in this thread, but I thought I'd add my voice to the mix in this official discussion thread as well as emailing ZOS directly.

Now that I read through what I emailed, I realize that I completely forgot to talk about publishing the odds (although I know others have talked about it in this thread). It should be an absolute non-negotiable that when someone is paying real money gambling they should know the odds of actually getting the different prizes available. Failing to provide customers with the information they need to make an informed decision about whether to roll the dice is the definition of unethical, exploitative, predatory behavior. And frankly, it may be illegal in some places where ESO is sold.

As far as this thread goes, here's what should really worry ZOS: there are a lot of people posting in this thread who are the absolute definition of loyal ESO customers. I see people posting here who have been playing and subscribing and/or buying crown packs for a long time - many since PC launch. Almost without exception everyone in this thread is upset, or even angry about the Crown Crates. Some of those very loyal ESO customers, including myself, are talking about canceling subs and not spending any more money on ESO. Because of Crown Crates.

And since I didn't read this thread or Gina's post until after I sent ZOS my email...
    Hi everyone, here’s where we are with Crown Crates:

We put systems on the PTS for player feedback for a reason – we have sifted (and continue to analyze) your feedback on Crown Crates, and as such, we’re going to make at least the following changes to the system before it goes live later this year:
    • We are working to change the way the system works to ensure that you get higher tiered items more often.
    This is a step in the right direction, but it's not the biggest issue with the Crown Crates. Not by a long shot. And until you make it crystal clear what the % chance is of getting each item, frankly any changes you make or claim to make with the odds of receiving higher tier items are utterly meaningless.
    • We will allow you to convert unwanted Crown Crate consumables into Crown Gems. This way, you won’t be stuck with consumables you may not want, and you will also have more Gems to purchase the items that you do want.
    Another step in the right direction, but also not enough. This doesn't solve the issue of getting cosmetics that you can't use (the argonian-only ones for players who don't have argonian characters, for example). Either allow us to redeem anything that we get for gems (if this is allowed for everything it's OK to keep it at a discounted rate from their gem cost, but preferably a somewhat better rate than what it currently is), or remove items that some players won't be able to use entirely, or always allow those items to be redeemed for the full gem amount that you would spend to buy them.
    • We will also take another look at Crown Crate potions, food, XP scrolls, etc. with an eye towards boosting their effectiveness and/or duration. This may entail us adding new recipes to allow crafters to make similar items.
    This... is not a good idea. I get that you want people to be less disappointed with the consumables that they receive, but the solution is not to make them more effective and run the risk of getting into pay to win territory. Make them less disappointing by making the number you receive for each card slightly less of a "*** you". Make them less disappointing by reducing the odds of getting food and potions (which people generally don't find useful), and increasing the odds of getting soul gems and repair kits (which people generally do find useful), while keeping the odds of getting XP scrolls the same (because they probably should stay relatively rare).
    We may well find other changes we want to make as well, and will let everyone know what we have done when this initial round of changes are in and can test them internally.
    I sincerely hope that you do make other changes based on the feedback in this thread and others. If you don't, frankly it won't be enough. Ideally I'd like to see the entire idea scrapped, but if there are enough changes to make Crown Crates more fair and less predatory, that will be good enough for me. What you've listed here isn't enough.

And if I'm being totally honest, someone should probably be fired over this. I know you're just the messenger @ZOS_GinaBruno, but whoever green-lit this idea should lose their job. Not the person who first suggested it (unless it's the same person), not the people who worked on implementing it, and certainly not the people who had to communicate it to us. The person who had the authority and signed off on it.

Also, as a total aside, I'm pretty sure it's not physically possible for anyone to throw the cards out the way the animation shows. When Pacrooti's hand is farthest to the right on the screen he's throwing the card that ends up the farthest to the left on the screen, and as his hand moves progressively towards the left on the screen, the cards that he throws end up progressively to the right. The physics on that don't work.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enodoc wrote: »
    After reading some of the Reddit AMA, I wanted to reiterate that only the themed "Apex rewards" should be completely exclusive to the boxes. Everything else, such as the Pit Wolf mount and pet, should appear in the Crown Store for direct purchase at some point.
    What qualifies as themed, though? Obviously the atronach mounts and trophies are themed, but what about the wizard hats? The mananaut cap? Can @ZOS_GinaBruno or @ZOS_JessicaFolsom chime in a list of what exactly is going to be crate exclusive and what won't?
    When I wrote that, I was initially thinking exactly and only the Apex rewards. So in the "Storm Atronach" Crate, it's the "Storm Atronach" mounts. But yes, it would probably also include the Storm Atronach "Aura", or whatever it's called, from a lower tier. I haven't looked at the hats, but the wizard hats don't sound like they should be included in the theme.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • MyNameIsElias
    MyNameIsElias
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just logged in to the pts do do my daily gamle, got a bonus card in one of the crates and got the storm atronach guar mount from the extra card.
  • niawrathb16_ESO
    niawrathb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    MissBizz wrote: »
    @niawrathb16_ESO You obviously have better chances than me. I've tested them 3 days so far and have not had a single legendary or apex item drop. Also barely enough gems to purchase a legendary items. $141 CAD later...

Well I have tested it for 3 days with 3 accounts, You can see our results here
    May you have keen eyes and sharp scythes

Morrigan Duskhunter
    Aldmeri Dominion - Sorcerer

The Reapers Guild - PC/Mac - EU - AD
    The Reapers Guild are recruiting! We run regular events from Motif Gathering to PvP. We run weekly N. Trials and achievement earning events. We have a website we require you to join us on and a Guild Hall with Transmute and Crafting Stations. We also have TS and Crafting Officers. We are a community we love to help so any experience is welcome. We are looking for people who join in! Jump in a group tag along to an event or play and chill in guild chat or on our Teamspeak channel. Really join in and get chub in our fishing events! Get "welcomed to the asylum" by whispering me
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh
    ✭✭✭
    So Zos ignored the forum poll results (and the views of your players) and pressed on with a strategy that was clearly flawed from the start. The most hated aspect of the game is the RNG, so you decide you are not making enough money with the Crown Store, and use the same hated mechanism as your key revenue generator in Crown Store.

You put the price of stuff up and that's still not enough so now we have to gamble (for that's what it is) on getting stuff we didn't want to buy in the first place just so that we might be lucky enough to pull a goodie.

I hope your bean counters have been prudent and not banked the business on this being a huge revenue generator, and incorporated the potential negative goodwill this will generate in terms of lost subs and people refusing to buy from the Crown Store on principle.
    "Shut it, you fop" - Valorone, Fighters' Guild, Coldharbour to Darien Gautier
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
  • Perwulf
    Perwulf
    ✭✭✭✭✭

We put systems on the PTS for player feedback for a reason – we have sifted (and continue to analyze) your feedback on Crown Crates, and as such, we’re going to make at least the following changes to the system before it goes live later this year:
    • We are working to change the way the system works to ensure that you get higher tiered items more often.
    • We will allow you to convert unwanted Crown Crate consumables into Crown Gems. This way, you won’t be stuck with consumables you may not want, and you will also have more Gems to purchase the items that you do want.
    • We will also take another look at Crown Crate potions, food, XP scrolls, etc. with an eye towards boosting their effectiveness and/or duration. This may entail us adding new recipes to allow crafters to make similar items.
    We may well find other changes we want to make as well, and will let everyone know what we have done when this initial round of changes are in and can test them internally.

Nice! at first i thought it's gonna take ages to grab one of those Atronarch mounts but i think we're on the safe road now.
    "Monsters doesn't exist, we create them"
  • Qyrk
    Qyrk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really want ZOS to think long and hard about these crown crates. Implementing them needs to have a careful consideration, especially the ability to make these crate exclusive items to be attainable without having to succumb to low drop rate/RNG. You have already mentioned increasing drop rate of high tiered items, but it would be beneficial for the community if there would be transparency on this specific %.
  • MarkusLiberty
    MarkusLiberty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did some more testing with the crown crates today, and I discovered the reason for my previous issues were the Khajiit was not dealing the cards, forcing me to exit the crate menu in order to see the content of the crate.

It was apparently due to the 32 bit client which I was running at the time. Switching to 64 bit solves the problem, and the crates work as they should.

Has anyone else tried using the crates on the 32 bit client? If not, could someone else try to confirm the issue?
    Edited by MarkusLiberty on September 24, 2016 9:42AM
    *Special Snowflake*

• Dr.NRG
    Dr.NRG
    ✭✭✭✭
    Besides all the change you will make, how about you let us buy new creates at a cost of 5-10 gems? I think make the whole thing a lot more attracktive
  • Mercutio
    Mercutio
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi everyone, here’s where we are with Crown Crates...

Thank you for keeping us in the loop as much as possible, @ZOS_GinaBruno . We all realize that your job censors out some information that you would otherwise like to share.

I am a "cosmetics player". I love making my avatars striking (feel free to look up how much I have spent on the game). My concern is that a lot of the really cool new cosmetics are going to be Crown Crate only.

If my fears come true, that is going to make me unhappy. An assurance that everything sold in Crown Crates will eventually be for sale in the store would be a great relief. Even if that were six months or a year down the road.

A suggestion I have made multiple times is this:

During the annual weekend anniversary of The Elder Scrolls Online launch, make every item, past and present, available for purchase.

Even this limited window of time would do much to relieve the concerns of customers such as myself who spend a fair amount of money but are now worried about missing out. I might even buy some Crown Crates! (no promises :smiley: )

And since we are most definitely going to have Crown Crates, I would like to offer some personal insight that may or may not be of value:

This past week there was a sale on the Giant Crate (can't recall the name, sorry) of consumables. Normally it is 1500 Crowns, but it was marked down to 750.

Since I buy XP Scrolls a lot, this was a great bargain! I got 5 XP scrolls per box and some, as it turns out, very nice food and other items that I had never bought before. I bought 3 and intended to buy more the next day but the sale was over :( ('you snooze, you lose').

If each $400 Crown Crate was guaranteed to have 2 or 3 XP scrolls in it I would probably buy a good bit of them.

I simply cannot justify spending money without the guarantee that I will get something of value in return. While the food, drink, and repair tools were nice, if I spent 400 crowns and only got those items I would be unhappy.

Now I'm only speaking for myself. Other players may have no need of the XP Scrolls, but would like the food and drink.

What if the Crown Crates came in different 'flavors' - some with guaranteed XP Scrolls, others with Food & Drink, etc. ?

If this route were chosen, in combination with the Yearly Shopping Jubilee I mentioned above, I would probably spend even more money on TESO and still be a very happy customer. Win/win for all involved.

I realize this post is long. Thank you for your time and I would love to hear any opinions about my proposals from others.

The problem with arguing with a jackass is that they never stop braying.
    #DwemerLife
  • kevlarto_ESO
    kevlarto_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    After spending all my crowns given to me on pts on crown crates, my bad luck once again rises from the ashes to smite me down LOL
    I got a lot of potions, one mount one dog, and a few of those stones to spend I was given the same dress over and over.

One thing you need to be clear about is those stones you get for getting duplicate items, you make it sound like you are given stones to buy something out of the store right then, but when I went to the store there was nothing I could afford to buy with the stones given to me, you are making a misleading statement, need to explain you will need to save those stone you get to buy something you might want to get out of the store, I know this is just another angel to selling more crates, but a little honesty goes a long way.
    Edited by kevlarto_ESO on September 24, 2016 10:52AM
  • milan.verploegenb16_ESO
    I was planning on buying the aurbical symbols on live, but seeing the data from https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/292572/crown-crate-drop-rate-research-help-needed/p1 (the 0.5% drop rate from 400 boxes) I would need to use 320000 crowns. Lol nope.

Opened about 4 boxes when I lost interest on PTS, consumables are worthless and theres too many cosmetics that I do not find interesting or don't work for my favorite race, bosmers.

• VerboseQuips
    VerboseQuips
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    silvereyes wrote: »
    silvereyes wrote: »
    2. Make the crates an in-game minigame gold sink

Make the crates purchasable for 2500 gold each. Get rid of crown gems entirely.
    • Replace consumables/utility drops with with raw mats, common style stones (e.g. azure plasm) or blue improvement mats.
    • Replace common collectibles drops with blue non-trials, non-monster, non-arena sets, less common style stones (e.g. malachite, goldscale, dwarven frame) and maybe purple improvement mats.
    • Replace legendary collectibles drops with rare style stones (e.g. alliance styles, defiled whiskers, tainted blood, etc.), nirncrux, perfect roe, motif pages, rare recipe pages, purple sets including jewelry, and maybe gold improvement mats.
    • Replace apex rewards with overworld gold gear or very rarely, gold overworld jewelry or an in-game skin.

The more I think about making the crates a mini-game for gold, the more I like it. There's a lot of good things it could add to the game:
    • A quick materials injection for the economy during shortages. Whenever crafting materials have a shortage, prices will increase. When resale prices increase, playing the crates game becomes a lucrative way to make money. This increases supply quickly, forcing prices back down. This could potentially completely solve a lot of the economics problems on console.
    • A gigantic gold sink. There are only a few large gold sinks in ESO right now. Guild trader bids are probably the biggest, but that's a system everyone would love to change. Adding in a new giant gold sink would free the devs to consider a fairer kiosk system that doesn't favor the top 5% of guilds so greatly.
    • Source for legendary jewelry. One of the biggest disappointments with all the BoP changes in update 12 is that overworld and dungeon sets only potentially get legendary jewelry from the PvP golden vendor, if at all (nobody knows the loot tables yet).

My questions for the community:
    • Is rewarding gold gear or rare skins appropriate for something that involves no skill, just throwing gold at a minigame?
    • What are your general thoughts about this idea?
    • Are there any changes you would make to the proposed rewards for the mini game?

Crates as a mini-game for gold in outlaw refuges could be awesome, and indeed be useful to manage material/motifs shortages.

As for legendary jewelry, I'd prefer them to add jewelry crafting in the game.
    My characters:
    Main and crafter: A Breton magicka templar named Erwann Sorril
    Alt 1: A Bosmer sorcerer named Tuuneleg
    Alt 2: An Imperial dragonknight named Gaius Tullius Hastifer
    Alt 3: An Argonian vampire/nightblade named Observe-le-Xanmeer
    Alt 4: A Nord werewolf/dragonknight named Sigurd Hurlevent
    Alt 5: A Breton sorcerer named Gilian Sorril (he's Erwann's younger brother)
    Alt 6: A Khajiit nightblade named Jolan-dar
    Alt 7: A Nord warden named Sigurmar Hurlevent (he's Sigurd's younger brother)
    Alt 8: An Altmer templar named Oioriel
    Alt 9: An Argonian stamina Warden named Danse-avec-les-Rainettes
    Alt 10: A Redguard templar named Neemokh af-Corelanya
    Alt 11: A Nord stamina sorcerer named Olga Écoute-Vent
    Alt 12: A Breton magicka Warden named Ian Sorril
    Alt 13: A Dunmer magicka necromancer named Ilmoran Dren
    Alt 14: An Orc stamina necromancer named Norgol gro-Borziel
    Alt 15: A Nord magicka necromancer named Thorgen Givresang
    Alt 16: An Imperial magicka dragonknight named Publius Valeirus Hastifer (Just call him "Valerio" - he's Gaius younger troublemaker of a brother)
    Main in NA (For collaborative events): A Breton magicka nightblade named Titouan Sorril (long-lost brother of Erwann and Gilian)
  • Slurg
    Slurg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    What if X number of crates were given as part of the subscription each month? I'm not marketing guru, but I know if I didn't already subscribe, it might encourage me to do so. And I know it will definitely make some of the superloyal players happier about all of this.

You known, this would be a great cover for folks who don't want that electro-pebble mount to act like a big "^Kick me^" sign wherever they ride it. No, I didn't spend $300US for this flashy mount, I won it with subscription crates!

I'm telling you...throwing subscribers a few crates could solve SO many issues so many people have with these things without having to change the already-established cash shop RNG crate model. Make it happen, ZOS pretty please!

I stand corrected, this person is actually asking for free stuff in this thread. But at least he or she is paying something in the form of a subscription. Which already has value without adding these gambling crates to them.

No, adding whatever extra pittance of crates (you coud buy buy three a month with your existing subscription crowns) to the subscription certainly does not solve "SO many issues people have". Maybe just one, for the people who already have subs who want to gamble for random things for free instead of buying the things they want.
    Happy All the Holidays To You and Yours!
    Remembering better days of less RNG in all the things.
  • Preyfar
    Preyfar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    More box opening. Got Storm Atro Sench and Bear Mount, and a dupe Red Pit Wolf (33 gems). Of the 13 boxes, 2 had a 5th card. While it's just RNG, if I'd gotten both storm atros like this on live I'd probably be pretty happy. But given the previous four days it's interesting.

Will be interesting to see what the changes to the system bring.
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I want two of the old limited time mounts that I missed. I want one or possibly two new ones. I'd be willing to pay outright for them, even if the prices are raised. Even if I bought all 4 outright at 5000 crowns each, I would still be far ahead of the cost of buying crown crates for a chance to get all of them.

In the process I'd end up with hundred of potions, scrolls, hats, hair/gill/feather/whatever style items I'll never use, and the way the rng gremlins and Murphy's Law works, every one of the costumes and mounts I don't like and won't buy.

If the rngesus crates are going to be the only way to get mounts like the lion and leopard, I really don't see the point in staying subbed. I love my crafting bag, but there isn't much point in continuing to pay a sub when I can't buy what I want. If I want dlc or an item that is "for sale" instead of "for gamble", I'll buy the crowns and get the item I want, with none of the stuff I don't. Unfortunately for ZOS, I used the crowns I got for being subbed to buy the dlc; I won't lose anything but the convenience of the crafting bag if I stop subbing.
  • phreatophile
    phreatophile
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What if X number of crates were given as part of the subscription each month?
    You known, this would be a great cover for folks who don't want that electro-pebble mount to act like a big "^Kick me^" sign wherever they ride it. No, I didn't spend $300US for this flashy mount, I won it with subscription crates!
    I'm telling you...throwing subscribers a few crates could solve SO many issues so many people have with these things without having to change the already-established cash shop RNG crate model. Make it happen, ZOS pretty please!
    Slurg wrote: »
    No, adding whatever extra pittance of crates (you coud buy buy three a month with your existing subscription crowns) to the subscription certainly does not solve "SO many issues people have". Maybe just one, for the people who already have subs who want to gamble for random things for free instead of buying the things they want.

For my part, I think "free" crates don't solve any of our issues but solve a big one for ZOS. As cool as the electro-pebble mounts look, I'd be embarrassed to be seen on one. It would be advertising stupidity or an addictive personality. As soon as they provide a second avenue for getting these items, the "I wouldn't be caught dead on one of these" factor is gone.

We're in the throw the folks a couple of bones until they shut up phase of this debacle and it wouldn't surprise me a bit if this was one of them. Pay close attention to the drop rate, the gem/duplicate rate, and the gem/consumables rate. Those are the things that matter and the factors ZOS will be most resistant to making any more than token changes to. Converting potions for gems (rate?), some as yet unexplained change to player made consumables, and a (probably) token change to drop rates for high end items are all that's been offered up so far. It is not even close to enough.

They've offered to mix a 1/2 cup of ice cream into a cup of poo, the end result will resemble the latter of the two not the former.
  • JR_Returns
    JR_Returns
    ✭✭✭
    After using my PTS crown points everyday on crates, still no Apex reward. You could say that's the luck of the draw.

Swapping Rewards
    When playing this game you notice that different players favour different types of mount, personally I'm not keen on the Guars or Camels, although some players love them.

If when I finally get an Apex reward, if it's one of them, it will be a major let down and it will certainly put me off buying any more crates.

There needs to be a mechanism for swapping rewards. Either a free swap to get the reward you want or randomly give a swap token along with the card items. These tokens could stored up and used to re-roll within a given reward tier to try get the reward you want.

General Comments
    I have to agree with the sentiments of some of the other forum members. It should be possible to buy the crown crate items via the normal crown store.

Some people like to have a gamble and that's fine. Some people have a real problem with gambling and ZOS needs to have some procedures for dealing with that, it's not good enough to sell the crates whilst burying your head in the sand. Personally I don't have a problem with gambling as I don't gamble, I know that you'll always loose over time, if you didn't gambling wouldn't exist, after all "You never see a poor bookie".

Currently I've tried 65 crates on PTS and failed to get an Apex reward. That's equivalent to 26,000 crowns with out getting an Apex mount. I'd be happy to pay between 2500 & 3500 crowns for a mount, maybe more for an exceptional one.
    When the system goes live I might use some of my subscription crowns to buy a couple of crates, but unless the system is vastly improved I won't be spending any money to buy crowns.

I suppose the really sad thing about all this is the fact that ZOS could have put this stuff in the crown store months ago and if they had the money would already be flowing in. The problem with the crown store is that the selection isn't great in fact it could be a lot better. How about a Welwa mount or a better selection of clothing items to use with the clothing dye stations.

Some of the crown crate items are quite novel, what a pity you couldn't have put some of them in the crown store.

Most of the limited time never to be repeated items, would sell if they were repeated every so often. Limited time never to be repeated items are really just another way of shooting yourself in the foot.

All in all there are plenty of ways to improve the crown store. If the store is improved, then I think most players will see the crates as just an addition feature, however if it isn't then the crates are going be seen as an attempt to rip players off.

• JimT722
    JimT722
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only way this could be salvaged in my opinion is have the crown crates contain retired items and the themed atronach mounts. Maybe the auras. The other stuff in the crates has no business being in the crates. Take the other stuff out and put them on the store.

Edit. Actually if you did that, you would end up back here eventually. Why are you adding these? Store not doing well? That's your fault don't punish the players. You release like 1 mount 1 costume 1 pet/ hairstyle a month. They won't please everyone. You create things, but then you gut them and sell them over a very long time. I don't think I was the only one disappointed with style parlor.
    Edited by JimT722 on September 24, 2016 3:48PM
  • FLuFFyxMuFFiN
    FLuFFyxMuFFiN
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Idk what is more insulting to me. The fact that I get all these consumables I don't want or the fact that I sometimes get 2 of the same facial accessory that I already have from one crate. And 52 crates and still no mount that I wanted.
    Edited by FLuFFyxMuFFiN on September 24, 2016 3:53PM
  • Clarkieson
    Clarkieson
    ✭✭✭✭

Ok then, so heres a question. If anyone knows the answer please feel free to do so

Is there any item in these crates that is gamechanging or game breaking or even better than what you can obtain in the base game?

I am wondering what all the fuss is about.

I have read and heard a lot of unhappy comments from people and im slighlty confused as to why this is.
  • JimT722
    JimT722
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Clarkieson wrote: »

Ok then, so heres a question. If anyone knows the answer please feel free to do so

Is there any item in these crates that is gamechanging or game breaking or even better than what you can obtain in the base game?

I have read and heard a lot of unhappy comments from people and im slighlty confused as to why this is.

Sure, let me clear it up. Many of us love cosmetics. Some of the cosmetics in these crates we have been looking forward to because they have been on the pts.

It isn't game changing to you but to many it is. It affects our enjoyment of the game. We can no longer buy the stuff we want because it's locked away in a system that is designed to take a lot of money and the odds of favorable return are low.

In rpg's a characters appearance is important to many. It feels like that is what they are taking advantage of. In other games these sell like crazy and the game coasts on them and dlc slows waaaay down. I don't see how these are a good thing for eso. What do you think?
  • Clarkieson
    Clarkieson
    ✭✭✭✭
    JimT722 wrote: »

Sure, let me clear it up. Many of us love cosmetics. Some of the cosmetics in these crates we have been looking forward to because they have been on the pts.

It isn't game changing to you but to many it is. It affects our enjoyment of the game. We can no longer buy the stuff we want because it's locked away in a system that is designed to take a lot of money and the odds of favorable return are low.

In rpg's a characters appearance is important to many. It feels like that is what they are taking advantage of. In other games these sell like crazy and the game coasts on them and dlc slows waaaay down. I don't see how these are a good thing for eso. What do you think?

Thanks for answer :)

Im not sure what i think really, ZOS is a money making machine, focused on making lots of money. In my opinion they go about it entirely in the wrong manner.

It must be easier to rip people off like a second hand car salesman than what it is to produce a working product. If the game was a priority to ZOS the game (on ps4 especially) would work correctly and the players would who started would still be playing today, rather than searching for other games which are not quite as glitchy and buggy.

Losing players means that some accountant at zos has to come up with some scheme that even del boy himself would be proud of, mug the customers for what they want and charge the earth.

I wouldnt buy a second hand car from ZOS, or del boy.

(Del boy works for trotters independent traders google if you have to)
  • Kendaric
    Kendaric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Well, there are the 150% exp scrolls for one, which are better than those we can currently craft.
    But far more important for many of us is the fact that the crates prevent us from directly purchasing items we want and force us to gamble for them, potentially cluttering our collections with items we don't want/can't use (argonian adornments are one example of this).
      PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!. Outfit slots not being accountwide is ridiculous given their price. PC EU/PC NA roleplayer and solo PvE quester
    • Abeille
      Abeille
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭

While my main reason to dislike these crates is based on my experience with this sort of thing in other games and how they went from "cosmetic only" to actually game changing, plus the shift in development that usually happens when they are introduced, how much my characters' appearances affect my enjoyment of the game is definitely one of my reasons too.

All of my characters are made with a certain concept in mind. That concept includes race, class, weapons, overall clothing style, pets (or no pet at all) and mount. When I can't complete a concept for some reason, it annoys me and it diminishes my will to play that character. For example, my main character is an Altmer that is supposed to have black hair, but black hair isn't available to Altmer playable characters despite it being available to Altmer npcs. That means that to stand playing my main I need her to wear hoods at all time.
      On the same way, I have been working on a character for several months now, and to complete her concept I only need two more things: One more piece of Winterborn gear that the Maelstrom Arena is refusing to drop (why must I get all those pieces of Para Bellum, Permafrost, Hunt and the like ç-ç), and the Ice Wolf mount.
      I am dead scared that the Ice Wolf mount will end up being a Crown Crate exclusive like the Red Pit Wolf seems to be, which will stop me from completing that character concept.
      Edited by Abeille on September 24, 2016 6:15PM
      Just so that everyone knows, my Altmer still can't have black hair. About a dozen of Altmer NPCs in the game have black hair. Just saying.

Meet my characters:
      Command: Do the thing.

Zadarri, Khajiit Fist of Thalmor: The thing was done, as commanded.
      Durza gra-Maghul, Orc blacksmith: The thing was done perfectly, in the most efficient way.
      Tegwen, Bosmer troublemaker: You can't prove I didn't do the thing.
      Sings-Many-Songs, Argonian fisher: Sure, I'll do the thing... Eventually. Maybe.
      Aerindel, Altmer stormcaller: After extensive research, I've come to the conclusion that doing the thing would be a waste of resources.
      Liliel, Dunmer pyromancer: Aerindel said I shouldn't do the thing. Something about "resources".
      Gyda Snowcaller, Nord cryomancer: I will find a way to do it that won't waste resources and make Aerindel proud of me.
      Beatrice Leoriane, Breton vampire: I persuaded someone else into doing the thing. You are welcome, dear.
      Sahima, Redguard performer: Doing the thing sounds awfully unpleasant and really not my problem.
      Ellaria Valerius, Imperial priestess: I'll pray to the Eight for the thing to be done, if it is Their will.
    • UrQuan
      UrQuan
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭

For many of us it isn't about what is and isn't in the crates at all. It's about how exploitative and unethical they are. It's possible to implement gambling crates in a fashion that will make ZOS more money without ripping off their customers and basically trying to do everything imaginable to trick them into blowing massive amounts of crowns and never getting what they wanted from them. A lot of changes need to be made to get these crates there.

As they are now (and as they will be after the changes Gina mentioned, assuming no other changes are made) the crates are a way to scam people and get a quick temporary cash infusion. The problem is that people don't like getting ripped off. People don't like companies that they see effectively stealing money from people - even if they themselves didn't lose any money.

If ZOS puts these crates in place without major changes, they'll initially make money off of them, but they'll also drive away loyal customers.
      Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
      Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
      Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
      Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
      J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
      Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
      Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
      Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
      Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
      Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
      Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
      Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
      Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
      Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
      Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
      Someone stole my sweetroll
    • JimT722
      JimT722
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Abeille wrote: »

While my main reason to dislike these crates is based on my experience with this sort of thing in other games and how they went from "cosmetic only" to actually game changing, plus the shift in development that usually happens when they are introduces, how much my characters' appearances affect my enjoyment of the game is definitely one of my reasons too.

All of my characters are made with a certain concept in mind. That concept includes race, class, weapons, overall clothing style, pets (or no pet at all) and mount. When I can't complete a concept for some reason, it annoys me and it diminishes my will to play that character. For example, my main character is an Altmer that is supposed to have black hair, but black hair isn't available to Altmer playable characters despite it being available to Altmer npcs. That means that to stand playing my main I need her to wear hoods at all time.
      On the same way, I have been working on a character for several months now, and to complete her concept I only need two more things: One more piece of Winterborn gear that the Maelstrom Arena is refusing to drop (why must I get all those pieces of Para Bellum, Permafrost, Hunt and the like ç-ç), and the Ice Wolf mount.
      I am dead scared that the Ice Wolf mount will end up being a Crown Crate exclusive like the Red Pit Wolf seems to be, which will stop me from completing that character concept.
      I agree. I've played so many MMO's. This feature killed them all for me. I started playing on pc a month after launch. Transferred to ps4. I want to stay but I don't know if I can do it. I've seen where this sort of thing leads games many times before. I keep hoping they will wise up but everything I learn seems to disappoint me more. I can no longer think about eso without feeling frustrated. As much as I want to stay, when I feel that way it may be time to move on. Last month I was sure I would play eso until they shut off the servers. I believe many feel this way but in the end greed most likely will win.
    • Clarkieson
      Clarkieson
      ✭✭✭✭
      UrQuan wrote: »

For many of us it isn't about what is and isn't in the crates at all. It's about how exploitative and unethical they are. It's possible to implement gambling crates in a fashion that will make ZOS more money without ripping off their customers and basically trying to do everything imaginable to trick them into blowing massive amounts of crowns and never getting what they wanted from them. A lot of changes need to be made to get these crates there.

As they are now (and as they will be after the changes Gina mentioned, assuming no other changes are made) the crates are a way to scam people and get a quick temporary cash infusion. The problem is that people don't like getting ripped off. People don't like companies that they see effectively stealing money from people - even if they themselves didn't lose any money.

If ZOS puts these crates in place without major changes, they'll initially make money off of them, but they'll also drive away loyal customers.

So maybe that is the intention

Make money, and drive existing customers away. Hope for new customers to spend lots of money.

There must be some logical thinking behind the business model, lets just say that the accountants at ZOS are competent for a second too. They must have financial projections for the crown store, they must be expecting to generate large amounts of revenue.

This has to be their plan, right?

I play the game to kill stuff and use the RNG system for "rewards". I have no interest in these crates or buffed XP scrolls and i guess ZOS expect that from most players.

The plan must be to lose players like me and find customers who only have an inrerest in spending money
    • silvereyes
      silvereyes
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      For me, there are three major issues.
      1. Dishonesty / bad customer-service. ZOS already has a money-making model: subscriptions + crown store collectibles / utility items. It's an honest model that makes people happy. It allows ZOS to make money and a great game at the same time.

The crown crates represent a departure from that model. They represent ZOS trying to hide the true cost of new cosmetics behind a game of chance specifically designed to extract money from players and not give them what they want, so that they keep playing.

This makes people sad. It implies that ZOS cares more about money than they do about making a great game or about making their players happy.

Edit: The dishonesty extends to the marketing of the crates as well. They want us to believe that these crates are just consumables grab bags, with some cosmetics thrown in for fun, which is a big bucket of skeever drivel.
      2. Bad priorities. In the AMA yesterday, I lost track of the number of times ZOS staff said "we want to do that, but ran out of time. wait for a future update". Yet the crown crates have the most polished interface I've ever seen in ESO.

ZOS management made the choice to pursue a greedy, dishonest marketing strategy at the expense of committing resources towards player pain points that are literally causing people to uninstall the game (guild trader flip time, magicka DK balance, Cyrodiil lag, etc.)
      3. Flirting with P2W. The very concept of crates has a lot of baggage. People familiar with other MMOs are quick to note that crates and P2W often go hand-in-hand.

And as awesome as it was for Gina to respond to the community yesterday, the very fact that they are even considering changing how powerful crown consumables are is a big red flag. It means they are way too close to the P2W threshold already, and pondering stepping over the line.

Edit: the first round of changes are in on PTS. They aren't P2W, but they are closer and totally pointless.
      Edited by silvereyes on September 30, 2016 12:37AM
    • Saoirse_Siobhan
      Saoirse_Siobhan
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      So I just tested the crown crates, ... I'm going to go to bed now, see if I can sleep off all the negative feelings of despair and anger. Was so sad seeing some of the things I was really looking forward to buying with crowns in the Apex rewards, I'm assuming that means they're crown crate exclusive? :'( And looking at all the drop rates people have been calculating, there doesn't seem to be much hope.
      PC/EU DC