Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Official Discussion Thread for Crown Crates

• shootyoureyeout
    shootyoureyeout
    ✭✭✭
    It seems like a lot of people are angry about the drop chance of the cool stuff in crown crates. Why not also have some daily quests that reward crown crates? It makes it so people who are angry about earning items only from buying the crates can play the game to also earn them but if they cannot earn wait to get that really cool mount they will still buy them. it makes it so the amount of gems you now get on pts feels more reasonable and people cant complain about having exclusive items in the crown crates.

I think this is a pretty awesome idea. It's apparent that the crates are here to stay and the exclusives in the crates are here to stay. I don't really have a problem with that, and get that there needs to be a draw to get people to buy them. But it would be great to have some way to earn these another way at least every once in a while.

But the people I have talked to that seem really pissed by it that might have good reason are those who subscribe, buy stuff in the crown store all the time, and already financially support the game STILL have to buy the crates to get a chance for the exclusive items. I might argue that no one needs the things in the crates, but that's beside the point.

What if X number of crates were given as part of the subscription each month? I'm not marketing guru, but I know if I didn't already subscribe, it might encourage me to do so. And I know it will definitely make some of the superloyal players happier about all of this.

• StopDropAndBear
    StopDropAndBear
    ✭✭✭✭
    Glad to see changes are incoming. After 16,500 (~120 USD) crowns worth of crates used: 0 Atronach mounts, 120 gems (not even half the amount required to buy one). Yeah.
  • silvereyes
    silvereyes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's obvious ZOS needs/wants more money from their most loyal customers. It's also obvious that a large proportion of their loyal customer base is extremely opposed to the crown crates as a mechanism to achieve that goal. Let me propose an alternative fund raiser for ZOS.

1. Increase the subscription price, and include 2000 crowns per month

Between the crafting bag, the ever-growing list of DLC and the fact that they come with crowns, subscriptions are almost - dare I say it - too good of a value right now. A price increase makes sense, and is much preferred to an evil marketing tactic that skirts or crosses the line into P2W. Also increase the number of crowns that come with it to ease the pain of the higher price.

2. Make the crates an in-game minigame gold sink

Make the crates purchasable for 2500 gold each. Get rid of crown gems entirely.
    • Replace consumables/utility drops with with raw mats, common style stones (e.g. azure plasm) blue improvement mats.
    • Replace common collectibles drops with blue non-trials, non-monster, non-arena sets, less common style stones (e.g. malachite, goldscale, dwarven frame) and maybe purple improvement mats.
    • Replace legendary collectibles drops with rare style stones (e.g. alliance styles, defiled whiskers, tainted blood, etc.), nirncrux, perfect roe, motif pages, rare recipe pages, purple sets including jewelry, and maybe gold improvement mats.
    • Replace apex rewards with overworld gold gear or very rarely, gold overworld jewelry or an in-game skin.

3. Take crown crates off the crown store.

They are evil. Enough said.

4. Unlock all crate exclusive mounts and make them normal crown store limited time exclusives

They can be expensive. That's fine. People cried when the dro-mathra senche prices were announced, but you can't go anywhere in game without bumping into one. So I think ZOS nailed the ideal price right on with that one. In fact, please, make them more expensive. The light pollution is killing immersion for a lot of us. :)

5. Bring back old time-limited specials, infrequently

They will still be limited time. Limited time doesn't mean "never to be seen again". The IC event with mind-shriven horse/skin was a perfect example that ZOS is willing to do this.

6. Re-add to the crown store all the older non-limited items that were rotated out

I understand not wanting to overwhelm people with choices, but removing items entirely from the store isn't the answer. If they aren't selling well anymore, add them to a "classics" section or some such.
    Edited by silvereyes on September 24, 2016 5:46PM
  • JimT722
    JimT722
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad to see changes are incoming. After 16,500 (~120 USD) crowns worth of crates used: 0 Atronach mounts, 120 gems (not even half the amount required to buy one). Yeah.
    I don't see any change that they would be willing to make to make them worthwhile. Why can't they take the high road and say they aren't going to stoop to the levels other MMO's have gone and appreciate their communities support. reassure us they aren't trying to rip us off and stick to transparent purchases.
  • phreatophile
    phreatophile
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What if X number of crates were given as part of the subscription each month? I'm not marketing guru, but I know if I didn't already subscribe, it might encourage me to do so. And I know it will definitely make some of the superloyal players happier about all of this.

You known, this would be a great cover for folks who don't want that electro-pebble mount to act like a big "^Kick me^" sign wherever they ride it. No, I didn't spend $300US for this flashy mount, I won it with subscription crates!
  • Sigtric
    Sigtric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi everyone, here’s where we are with Crown Crates:

We put systems on the PTS for player feedback for a reason – we have sifted (and continue to analyze) your feedback on Crown Crates, and as such, we’re going to make at least the following changes to the system before it goes live later this year:
    • We are working to change the way the system works to ensure that you get higher tiered items more often.
    • We will allow you to convert unwanted Crown Crate consumables into Crown Gems. This way, you won’t be stuck with consumables you may not want, and you will also have more Gems to purchase the items that you do want.
    • We will also take another look at Crown Crate potions, food, XP scrolls, etc. with an eye towards boosting their effectiveness and/or duration. This may entail us adding new recipes to allow crafters to make similar items.
    We may well find other changes we want to make as well, and will let everyone know what we have done when this initial round of changes are in and can test them internally.

Thanks for the update @ZOS_GinaBruno, in case no one told you (shame on them...) you rock and thanks for putting up with us and for facilitating this conversation.

Considering some of the things outlined in your update, are we looking at this system remaining in the test environment only until the changes are made or is this still planned for One Tamriel?

Especially with the possibilities of new recipes being needed or changed to make things fit the "do no harm" mantra of the crown store I personally think it's best for the health of the player base to make sure this is as best as it possibly can be for us. In return that will make it a success for ZOS.

Stormproof: Vibeke - 50 EP mDragonknight | Savi Dreloth - 50 EP Magsorc | Sadi Dreloth - 50 EP Magblade | Sigtric Stormaxe - 50 EP Stamsorc | Valora Dreloth - 50 EP Magplar | Sigtric the Unbearable 50 EP Stam Warden
    Scrub: Chews-on-Beavers - 50 EP DK Tank | Vera the Wild - 50 EP magicka Warden | Sigtric the Axe - 50 EP Dragonknight Crafter | Sigtric the Blade - 50 EP Lost Nightblade | Sigtric the Savage - 50 EP magicka Templar | Vibeka Shadowblade - 50 Ep Stealthy Ganky Nightblade |

Show Me Your Dunmer
    [/center]
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    After reading some of the Reddit AMA, I wanted to reiterate that only the themed "Apex rewards" should be completely exclusive to the boxes. Everything else, such as the Pit Wolf mount and pet, should appear in the Crown Store for direct purchase at some point.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • MyNameIsElias
    MyNameIsElias
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone knows if the different crate themes will return each year? say atronach crate is for last quarter of 2016, will the same crate be back in last quarter of 2017?
  • Abeille
    Abeille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enodoc wrote: »
    After reading some of the Reddit AMA, I wanted to reiterate that only the themed "Apex rewards" should be completely exclusive to the boxes. Everything else, such as the Pit Wolf mount and pet, should appear in the Crown Store for direct purchase at some point.

This can't be repeated enough times.

This is of utmost importance to make the crates anywhere near "okay-ish".
    Just so that everyone knows, my Altmer still can't have black hair. About a dozen of Altmer NPCs in the game have black hair. Just saying.

Meet my characters:
    Command: Do the thing.

Zadarri, Khajiit Fist of Thalmor: The thing was done, as commanded.
    Durza gra-Maghul, Orc blacksmith: The thing was done perfectly, in the most efficient way.
    Tegwen, Bosmer troublemaker: You can't prove I didn't do the thing.
    Sings-Many-Songs, Argonian fisher: Sure, I'll do the thing... Eventually. Maybe.
    Aerindel, Altmer stormcaller: After extensive research, I've come to the conclusion that doing the thing would be a waste of resources.
    Liliel, Dunmer pyromancer: Aerindel said I shouldn't do the thing. Something about "resources".
    Gyda Snowcaller, Nord cryomancer: I will find a way to do it that won't waste resources and make Aerindel proud of me.
    Beatrice Leoriane, Breton vampire: I persuaded someone else into doing the thing. You are welcome, dear.
    Sahima, Redguard performer: Doing the thing sounds awfully unpleasant and really not my problem.
    Ellaria Valerius, Imperial priestess: I'll pray to the Eight for the thing to be done, if it is Their will.
  • JimT722
    JimT722
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been playing since around launch. The team at ZOS has done a great job with it. I thought this would be the first mmo I would play until they shut the servers off. The majority of the community is not happy at the inclusion of this and rightfully so. Please consider not adding the crates as your players would be grateful.
  • JR_Returns
    JR_Returns
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I feel that the Crown Crates are a reasonable addition to the game. After all if you don't like them then don't buy them.

Just from looking at other players when they are accessing their inventories it is clear that there are lot of non ESO plus players out there and this is a way they can contribute to the game. As an ESO plus player I'll never need to pay for the crates as I normally don't use the crowns I get with my subscription, at the moment I have 20K unused.

It must take a lot of money to maintain the game and produce new exciting content every 3 months and the money has to come from somewhere, after all "there is no such thing as a free lunch".

Edited by JR_Returns on September 23, 2016 11:59PM
  • Abeille
    Abeille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JR_Returns wrote: »
    Personally I feel that the Crown Crates are a reasonable addition to the game. After all if you don't like them then don't buy them.

Just from looking at other players when they are accessing their inventories it is clear that there are lot of non ESO plus players out there and this is a way they can contribute to the game. As an ESO plus player I'll never need to pay for the crates as I normally don't use the crowns I get with my subscription, at the moment I have 20K unused.

It must take a lot of money to maintain the game and produce new exciting content every 3 months and the money has to come from somewhere, after all "there is no such thing as a free lunch".

No one is asking for any free lunch here.

I want to buy a burger if I want to, not a chance of getting a burger - If I'm very lucky, otherwise I'll just get a couple of ketchup packets and a napkin.

People who are not ESO+ members can contribute by buying what they want straight from the Cash Shop. That's what the Cash Shop exists for.
    Just so that everyone knows, my Altmer still can't have black hair. About a dozen of Altmer NPCs in the game have black hair. Just saying.

Meet my characters:

Durza gra-Maghul, Orc blacksmith: The thing was done perfectly, in the most efficient way.
    Sings-Many-Songs, Argonian fisher: Sure, I'll do the thing... Eventually. Maybe.
    Aerindel, Altmer stormcaller: After extensive research, I've come to the conclusion that doing the thing would be a waste of resources.
    Liliel, Dunmer pyromancer: Aerindel said I shouldn't do the thing. Something about "resources".
    Gyda Snowcaller, Nord cryomancer: I will find a way to do it that won't waste resources and make Aerindel proud of me.
    Beatrice Leoriane, Breton vampire: I persuaded someone else into doing the thing. You are welcome, dear.
    Sahima, Redguard performer: Doing the thing sounds awfully unpleasant and really not my problem.
    Ellaria Valerius, Imperial priestess: I'll pray to the Eight for the thing to be done, if it is Their will.
  • JimT722
    JimT722
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JR_Returns wrote: »

We're not looking for them to be free. Two items on the pts for dark brotherhood I was looking forward to buying. I would have paid well. They both ended up in crown crates and I won't spend an undefinable price. It's just a stupid thing to do. I have subscribed nearly every month for over 2 years. I also frequently buy crowns for cosmetics. I want to support the game but at the same time I don't want to be ripped off. The items I want from now on are likely to be in crates so it kinda sucks the fun out of the game as I won't touch random crates.
  • Slurg
    Slurg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Not a single person here is trying to get anything for free. Why do people keep making up stuff like this to argue against in favor of the gambling crates?

As someone else put it before, more eloquently, we the customers are put in the ridiculous position of begging a company to take our money by letting us simply purchase the goods we want to purchase instead of gambling for a chance to win them. And we can't get a straight answer on whether or not they will allow us to do that. This is flat out ludicrous.
    Happy All the Holidays To You and Yours!
    Remembering better days of less RNG in all the things.
  • Doctordarkspawn
    Doctordarkspawn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi everyone, here’s where we are with Crown Crates:

We put systems on the PTS for player feedback for a reason – we have sifted (and continue to analyze) your feedback on Crown Crates, and as such, we’re going to make at least the following changes to the system before it goes live later this year:
    • We are working to change the way the system works to ensure that you get higher tiered items more often.
    • We will allow you to convert unwanted Crown Crate consumables into Crown Gems. This way, you won’t be stuck with consumables you may not want, and you will also have more Gems to purchase the items that you do want.
    • We will also take another look at Crown Crate potions, food, XP scrolls, etc. with an eye towards boosting their effectiveness and/or duration. This may entail us adding new recipes to allow crafters to make similar items.
    We may well find other changes we want to make as well, and will let everyone know what we have done when this initial round of changes are in and can test them internally.

Very good.

I would advise -against- increasing the crown store consumeables effectiveness, but duration instead. Crafted things MUST ALLWAYS BE BETTER. But allowing us to trade them for gems is a good start. I'll be awaiting the conversation rates.

Otherwise, this is well on the way to making these a good deal.

@ZOS_GinaBruno
    Edited by Doctordarkspawn on September 24, 2016 12:53AM
  • arkansas_ESO
    arkansas_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What qualifies as themed, though? Obviously the atronach mounts and trophies are themed, but what about the wizard hats? The mananaut cap? Can @ZOS_GinaBruno or @ZOS_JessicaFolsom chime in a list of what exactly is going to be crate exclusive and what won't?

Grand Overlord 25/8/17
  • Abeille
    Abeille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What qualifies as themed, though? Obviously the atronach mounts and trophies are themed, but what about the wizard hats? The mananaut cap? Can @ZOS_GinaBruno or @ZOS_JessicaFolsom chime in a list of what exactly is going to be crate exclusive and what won't?

Well, they are not "atronach", so I think they shouldn't qualify as themed.

I want a list of exclusive things, too. And I reiterate that, while the best would be if nothing at all was exclusive (or if the crates were not added at all), the crates will be easier to stomach if only the themed stuff is exclusive.
    Edited by Abeille on September 24, 2016 12:57AM

Meet my characters:

• Lumenn
    Lumenn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As far as "exclusive" I honestly don't think they have it all planned yet so can't give a list(some of it yes). Part of it is scouring the net to see what people are hoping/drooling for the most, THEN making it exclusive. Could be why they seem hesitant to answer /ratio questions.I'd say they have a good start on the datamined threads going back.
  • Jewbebz
    Jewbebz
    Are these supposed to be released on October 5 with the rest of "One Tamriel" ?
  • JimT722
    JimT722
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lumenn wrote: »
    As far as "exclusive" I honestly don't think they have it all planned yet so can't give a list(some of it yes). Part of it is scouring the net to see what people are hoping/drooling for the most, THEN making it exclusive. Could be why they seem hesitant to answer /ratio questions.I'd say they have a good start on the datamined threads going back.
    So I guess it's my fault making a thread praising their work and saying I wanted it?

MKksfRc.png

Well crap
  • Lumenn
    Lumenn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JimT722 wrote: »
    So I guess it's my fault making a thread praising their work and saying I wanted it?

MKksfRc.png

Well crap

? Yep. It's all about you and only you. OR, you were just one of hundreds(thousands? Myself included) who said "wow cool! " and got collected as marketing research.
  • JimT722
    JimT722
    ✭✭✭✭✭

MKksfRc.png

Well crap

? Yep. It's all about you and only you. OR, you were just one of hundreds(thousands? Myself included) who said "wow cool! " and got collected as marketing research.
    It was a joke about being my fault based on what you said. I found it ironic that I made a thread about how much I liked rooster frills and enveloping scales and they both appear to be in crown crates. They were my favorite offerings on pts for style parlor.

• Lumenn
    Lumenn
    ✭✭✭✭✭

MKksfRc.png

Well crap

It was a joke about being my fault based on what you said. I found it ironic that I made a thread about how much I liked rooster frills and enveloping scales and they both appear to be in crown crates. They were my favorite offerings on pts for style parlor.

Ah. My bad then. I've seen so much toxic venom on these forums I guess I expect it. Will work on that. And sorry about your frills. All I've ever wanted was a black wolf for my bosmer(elfquest thing) so I snatched up the doom wolf. I'd be disappointed if it were locked away.
  • silvereyes
    silvereyes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    silvereyes wrote: »
    2. Make the crates an in-game minigame gold sink

Make the crates purchasable for 2500 gold each. Get rid of crown gems entirely.
    • Replace consumables/utility drops with with raw mats, common style stones (e.g. azure plasm) or blue improvement mats.
    • Replace common collectibles drops with blue non-trials, non-monster, non-arena sets, less common style stones (e.g. malachite, goldscale, dwarven frame) and maybe purple improvement mats.
    • Replace legendary collectibles drops with rare style stones (e.g. alliance styles, defiled whiskers, tainted blood, etc.), nirncrux, perfect roe, motif pages, rare recipe pages, purple sets including jewelry, and maybe gold improvement mats.
    • Replace apex rewards with overworld gold gear or very rarely, gold overworld jewelry or an in-game skin.

The more I think about making the crates a mini-game for gold, the more I like it. There's a lot of good things it could add to the game:
    • A quick materials injection for the economy during shortages. Whenever crafting materials have a shortage, prices will increase. When resale prices increase, playing the crates game becomes a lucrative way to make money. This increases supply quickly, forcing prices back down. This could potentially completely solve a lot of the economics problems on console.
    • A gigantic gold sink. There are only a few large gold sinks in ESO right now. Guild trader bids are probably the biggest, but that's a system everyone would love to change. Adding in a new giant gold sink would free the devs to consider a fairer kiosk system that doesn't favor the top 5% of guilds so greatly.
    • Source for legendary jewelry. One of the biggest disappointments with all the BoP changes in update 12 is that overworld and dungeon sets only potentially get legendary jewelry from the PvP golden vendor, if at all (nobody knows the loot tables yet).

My questions for the community:
    • Is rewarding gold gear or rare skins appropriate for something that involves no skill, just throwing gold at a minigame?
    • What are your general thoughts about this idea?
    • Are there any changes you would make to the proposed rewards for the mini game?
  • shootyoureyeout
    shootyoureyeout
    ✭✭✭

You known, this would be a great cover for folks who don't want that electro-pebble mount to act like a big "^Kick me^" sign wherever they ride it. No, I didn't spend $300US for this flashy mount, I won it with subscription crates!

I'm telling you...throwing subscribers a few crates could solve SO many issues so many people have with these things without having to change the already-established cash shop RNG crate model. Make it happen, ZOS pretty please!
  • MarrazzMist
    MarrazzMist
    ✭✭✭✭
    • Did you like/use the consumables you received from the Crown Crates?
    I opened 26 crates, I got some costumes I really liike, storm transformation which I think is cool, the other storm memento, some more costumes and pets that weren't so special to me, and ofcource potions, food, gems and kits. So some I liked, some semiuseful, some will stay in collection.

General feedback:
    Unlike most I do nyt hate the crates. On live I might buy 1-2 crates and hope to get some item I like. If not, bad luck. I certainly won't fight for specific mount with these. (Though in general, I don't even like storm mounts..) Parcooti animation is cool.

Potions do fill your inventory quick. I hope there would be more something like weak experience scrolls, for example. Useful, special, but not as good as crafted.

I think it's important that there isn't to much exclusives. For example there's no reason fox or lion mounts, most costumes or senche cubs to be crate exclusive. With storm themed stuff, maybe, but others I really expect to hit store eventually.

• JimT722
    JimT722
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    • Did you like/use the consumables you received from the Crown Crates?
    I opened 26 crates, I got some costumes I really liike, storm transformation which I think is cool, the other storm memento, some more costumes and pets that weren't so special to me, and ofcource potions, food, gems and kits. So some I liked, some semiuseful, some will stay in collection.

General feedback:
    Unlike most I do nyt hate the crates. On live I might buy 1-2 crates and hope to get some item I like. If not, bad luck. I certainly won't fight for specific mount with these. (Though in general, I don't even like storm mounts..) Parcooti animation is cool.

Potions do fill your inventory quick. I hope there would be more something like weak experience scrolls, for example. Useful, special, but not as good as crafted.

I think it's important that there isn't to much exclusives. For example there's no reason fox or lion mounts, most costumes or senche cubs to be crate exclusive. With storm themed stuff, maybe, but others I really expect to hit store eventually.

That's the really big problem. From what people are pulling out of them on the pts there are lots of exclusive items. They made it sound like there would only be retired items and themed mounts like the atronach. Now you have the atronach mounts, red wolf, black mane tiger, hats, hairstyles, body markings, and auras. Why are the hairstyles and body markings exclusive. I was looking forward to those Argonian ones since they first appeared on the pts when testing style parlor. Style parlor was disappointing enough at release with the gutted options.

I knew the crates would be bad when it came to tempting people with exclusive items, but it's like they were on a mission to make them worse then I expected. I can't believe they went this crazy with exclusives. I'm sure I'm not alone when I say that if I can't buy the item I want outright, it's not happening. The enveloping scales seems to have a similar rate to the apex mounts. I don't care about the consumables I do want the Argonian items. For the one body marking and hairstyle I want it would cost a fortune. You have made some good stuff just let us buy it.
  • Kendaric
    Kendaric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I'm telling you...throwing subscribers a few crates could solve SO many issues so many people have with these things without having to change the already-established cash shop RNG crate model. Make it happen, ZOS pretty please!

Hell, no.
    Were they to do that, I and a lot of other people would cancel their sub immediately. We do not want to gamble, not even if those horrible crates were a subscription "perk".

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!. Outfit slots not being accountwide is ridiculous given their price. PC EU/PC NA roleplayer and solo PvE quester
    • Mojmir
      Mojmir
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      The house always wins.
    • SublimeSparo
      SublimeSparo
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Meh. Potential P2W spiral begins.

If you must keep the exclusive items in crates, how about a 'perk' for eso plus suscribers that lets them directly buy upto 3-5 of the exclusives from each season.

PS4 EU CP900. PS4 NA CP600,
      vAA HM ☆ vHRC HM ☆ vSO HM ☆ vMOL
      4th Console vMOL clear,
      vMA cleared on all classes stam & magic

My Tribe
      EU
      High Sparo - Altmer - mSo DD.
      Wood Sparo - Bosmer - sNB DD
      Nord Sparo - Nord -sDK DD/Tank.
      Bubble Girl - Imperial -sTe DD
      Succubus Sue - Breton - mNB Tank.
      Andrana Stormlock - Altmer - mTe Healer/ DD