Maintenance for the week of July 1:
· [COMPLETE] NA megaservers for maintenance – July 1, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
· [COMPLETE] EU megaservers for maintenance – July 1, 8:00 UTC (4:00AM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)
· [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – July 1, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Grim Focus Permaglow

• Coerfroid
    Coerfroid
    ✭✭✭✭

Perhaps @ZOS_Kevin can find a solution for us that will allow for both factions to be satisfied? A toggle, perhaps. On, for all those who love the glow. Off, for those who don't?

This. There are a lot of skills (and sets) with arguably cool or annoying sfx, their beauty is in the eye of the beholder, a visible display is not necessary in most cases (some effects, like shields, should be visible though).

Whether we like it or not, I think all can agree that an out-of-combat glow is not a necessary feature. So please let us switch it off optionally.
    Options
  • Ravensilver
    Ravensilver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kisakee wrote: »
    YOU are not fine with it, YOU don't want it. I want it and I am fine with it.

Indeed, I am not fine with it.

The people responding to it on the PTS were not fine with it: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/639449/nightblade-grim-focus-and-morphs-perpetual-red-glow

You may want to re-read most of this thread to see just how many people don't like it and are not fine with it.

Unfortunately, it seems that you didn't read the thread, so you missed some essential information as to *why* people are unhappy with the permaglow. You may want to go back and do that.

Perhaps most useful would be a toggle in the settings - yes, I want the glow/no, I don't want the glow. I am sure that the effort needed to add that isn't that large and it would be a boon to those of us who not only don't like/want it, but who have actual, physical problems with it being on all the time (eyesight, headaches etc.).

It should be adressed by someone like @ZOS_Kevin and the developers, especially since it was obviously already commented on negatively on the PTS.

And just for fun, I went into the German forum, where the exact same discussion is/was taking place, with the exact same result: turn it off, please, ZOS.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/de/discussion/641658/leuchteffekte-bei-eigenem-charakter-abstellen#latest
    Edited by Ravensilver on August 30, 2023 1:07PM
    Options
  • wilykcat
    wilykcat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most people dont like the color red for glow.
    Edited by wilykcat on August 30, 2023 1:23PM
    Options
  • Ravensilver
    Ravensilver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wilykcat wrote: »
    Most people dont like the color red for glow. The majority always wins.

I think the problem is more that the glow is permanent. And yes, red is emotionally a very invasive and agressive colour, so most people would prefer not to be constantly confronted with it in this intensity.

[Snip]

[Edited for baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_Volpe on August 30, 2023 1:39PM
    Options
  • ZOS_Volpe
    ZOS_Volpe
    admin
    Greetings,

As we've removed a few comments that were baiting and bashing, this is a friendly reminder that comments need to adhere to our Community Rules to avoid thread derailment.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Options
    Staff Post
  • BahometZ
    BahometZ
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another unforced error, making an unnecessary change that no one wanted that just annoys a bunch of people? I'm shocked.
    You know ya dun goofed when the soul shriven dust off their keyboards.
    Pact Magplar - Max CP (NA XB)
    Options
  • ApoAlaia
    ApoAlaia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I don't really like how it clashes with the appearance of 5 out of my 6 NBs.

Ideally given that some players seem to like it it should be a toggle.

If that is not technically feasible then I would much rather it faded when outside of combat or at the very least after x seconds outside of combat.

And it definitely should be removed from gloambound weapons when sheathed regardless of what ZOS decides to do about it (including nothing).
    Options
  • wilykcat
    wilykcat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The game needs more graphics setting within the "lighting" options.
    Toggles:
    Enable/disable glowing effects
    Enable/disable sparkles/emitted particles
    Enable/disable certain textures or patterns
    Enable/disable flashing light effects

For special effects.
    Slider for glow intensity-- reduces or increases amount of glow
    Slider for particle intensity -reduces or increases amount of sparkles.
    Slider for saturation-- reduces or increases the boldness of colors.
    Options
  • emilyhyoyeon
    emilyhyoyeon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    So what about those of us who are fine with the game's current effects but just don't want grim focus's glow on permanently? (FTR I don't think there's anything wrong with more graphics options in general, that would be cool actually, but it misses the mark of the issue regarding grim focus specifically).

This isn't just a ''too many lights'' issue. I have no issue with the grim focus effect pre-patch, ie. pre-permanence. I just don't want it permanently on.

edit: IMO the most reasonable solution is that it's deactivated outside combat. This would also probably mean that if you initiate combat with a light attack, that light attack won't count towards stacks, but that's a fair sacrifice to me.

edit 2: I thought of another solution: make the skill so that you need to activate it, but once activated, it stays on (until you turn it off, die, or log out or whatever), similar to sorcerer pets.

Edited by emilyhyoyeon on August 30, 2023 2:42PM
    IGN @ emilypumpkin
    Zirasia Firemaker, imperial fire mage & sunbather
    Deebaba Soul-Weaver, argonian ghostminder & soul gem collector
    Tullanisse Starborne, altmer battlemage & ayleid researcher
    Options
  • TX12001rwb17_ESO
    TX12001rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It would not be so bad if the effect was actually good, right now it is so annoying I have had to unslot Grim Focus.
    Options
  • Aztrias
    Aztrias
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks awful, hope they don't add something like this to the other classes.
    Welcome Moon-and-Star to this place where destiny is made

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/498360/r-i-p-pc-eu/p1
    Nerevar forget!
    Options
  • Jazraena
    Jazraena
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kisakee wrote: »
    We now have a *permanent* glow that we didn't ask for and don't want. We're not fine with it. We would like to have it back to what it was before.

YOU are not fine with it, YOU don't want it. I want it and I am fine with it.

Frankly, whether you happen to like a specific new cosmetic effect feels fairly secondary to people being driven away from playing a character they might have played since release.

I have four nightblades. I didn't touch any of them since the update. I'm thinking what to replace the skill with now, but am largely coming up blank. Certainly, any PvP plans I had with my main are shelved.

But hey, as long as you get something shiny that doesn't matter, eh?
    Options
  • Jazraena
    Jazraena
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wilykcat wrote: »
    Most people dont like the color red for glow.

I don't really care about the colour. I detest that it's permanent. Every colour would be a problem.
    Options
  • Braffin
    Braffin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_Kevin, this change is destroying our Nb toons, because you either loose a big chunk of dps by unslotting grim focus or you will glow red all the time ( even during scrying the UI is red now), as every other effect is overwritten by the red permaglow.

Fine, it's probably an oversight (otherwise scrying wouldn't be affected, would it?).

The real bummer for me is, that you once again refuse to acknowledge the mistake you made and call this obvious mistake an intended feature.
    Never get between a cat and it's candy!
    ---
    Overland difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including One Tamriel, an overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver & Gold as a "you think you do but you don't" - tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game. I'm bored of dungeons, I'm bored of trials; make a personal difficulty slider for overland. It's not that hard.
    Options
  • Jazraena
    Jazraena
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    During scrying even? Lmao.

My NB main -is- my antiquities gal, but I haven't been able to tolerate the glow enough to bother yet. Good to know.
    Options
  • Ravensilver
    Ravensilver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jazraena wrote: »

My NB main -is- my antiquities gal, but I haven't been able to tolerate the glow enough to bother yet. Good to know.

Yes. When you open the APad, then it turns red, as if you're being attacked while scrying... very annoying. >.<
    Options
  • KapiteinBoterham
    KapiteinBoterham
    ✭✭✭
    I would like to ask everyone to voice their opinion as concise as possible, don't engage with the people defending this bug/oversight. Putting whole paragraphs here makes it look like we're whining/exagerating the issue and slims down the chances of this being taken serious.

Just voice your opinion (unslot Grim Focus if youre bothered by it) and hope this gets changed back into a more tasteful visual effect.
    Edited by KapiteinBoterham on August 30, 2023 5:01PM
    Options
  • Taggund
    Taggund
    ✭✭✭✭
    I removed the skill, and left the slot empty for now. Not sure what I will use going forward, but I'm also mostly playing other characters.
    Options
  • Ravensilver
    Ravensilver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would like to see the permaglow removed, because

- it is too bright and not only reflects off all surfaces around it, but also penetrates through the character's body and colours both body, skin and outfit
    - the colour and brightness are very aggressive and lead to considerable eye strain and headaches after playing a while
    - it overlays all other colours, especially outfits and areas around it
    - it breaks immersion, since NBs are supposed to be invisible and sneaky - hard to do with a bright shining torch on one's back
    - it also overlays the scrying interface, turning it red, making me think I'm being attacked and thus breaking off the scrying attempt
    - it is visible even indoors, unless I unequip the weapons. This, again, breaks immersion and is very annoying, since I have spent a large amount of time on creating the housing environment that will calm and ease me and this ruins it totally
    - it also makes it difficult to furnish houses, since it falsifies the colour scheme being used.
    - I dislike red
    Edited by Ravensilver on August 30, 2023 5:44PM
    Options
  • FayJolyn
    FayJolyn
    ✭✭✭✭
    I also would like to see the perma glow changed to something that's easier on the eye. I don't see why our weapons can only glow red only when the spectral bow is ready. it would make much more sense for a class that is supposed to be the sneaky sneaky archetype. And it would also make more sense from a gameplay perspective. Also, I've never been a fan of the uniform red color that the NB class has it's to similar to vampire skills to me but looks worse.
    Zha'ishii - Kahjiit nightblade (main) PC-EU
    Options
  • wilykcat
    wilykcat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly I think the red glowing effects in the game actually looks kind of cool. I'm naturally drawn to the color red more than other vibrant bold colors.

I do like the idea of a toggle on/off switch for it so I added on more to that suggestion( in one of my previous comments). Some people like the color red and others not so much, same with sparkles and glowing. Options are always good.
    Options
  • Braffin
    Braffin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Jazraena wrote: »

Yeah, let's have a look at NB's latest "intended feature" while scrying:

sjcxuchcudnz.png

I assume this is the first step to fully color-coded screens for all classes. No need for ReShade anymore. Can't wait for neon-green scrying on my arcanist or a hm-scroll-effect (permanently of course) while doing so with my templar. :D
    Never get between a cat and it's candy!
    ---
    Overland difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including One Tamriel, an overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver & Gold as a "you think you do but you don't" - tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game. I'm bored of dungeons, I'm bored of trials; make a personal difficulty slider for overland. It's not that hard.
    Options
  • Alp
    Alp
    ✭✭✭✭
    This just doesn't look good.

image.png

I paid for a style that hides my weapon when sheathed and now I got neon lights like something straight out of 2 Fast 2 Furious.
    Options
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it. Cool visual.

I wish all classes can get something similar.

(I also wish enchants and poisons had a longer visual element as well.)

All of my weapon seem to be from ”arms packs” to get a cool magical glow. It’s nice that there is a way to get the effect without having to spend the crowns.

There is so many weapon motifs I ignore because they just look dull when used.
    Options
  • ESO_player123
    ESO_player123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BlueRaven wrote: »
    I like it. Cool visual.

-snip
    At least you have an option to ignore the dull looking motifs. We can't exactly ignore a very useful ability. It's not like we have hundreds to choose from.

Options
  • emilyhyoyeon
    emilyhyoyeon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I like it. Cool visual.

-snip
    At least you have an option to ignore the dull looking motifs. We can't exactly ignore a very useful ability. It's not like we have hundreds to choose from.

EXACTLY. Grim focus isn't a cosmetic. It's a class ability; probably the most important one for nightblade DD, PVP, and even healer to boot.

I don't practice parsing at all and it's still important enough to be almost 12% of my damage in a normal fight.

fgib253fz40j.png
    IGN @ emilypumpkin
    Zirasia Firemaker, imperial fire mage & sunbather
    Deebaba Soul-Weaver, argonian ghostminder & soul gem collector
    Tullanisse Starborne, altmer battlemage & ayleid researcher
    Options
  • AstroST
    AstroST
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All of my weapon seem to be from ”arms packs” to get a cool magical glow. It’s nice that there is a way to get the effect without having to spend the crowns.

You are forgetting one important thing, you choose to wear arm pack and you choose which one you liked to wear.
    The permaglow instead has been forced on everyone.

Options
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fortunately, I don't use grim focus because I don't use bows on my NBs (and I don't play them all that much either). But seeing the bleeding red glow on them when I run across them in game is really pretty icky. I don't blame you guys for not being happy with it. I HATE RED. The few NBs I have NEVER wear red - nor do any of my other characters.

And I really don't want to see "non-negotiable" perma-glows on other classes either. It's like taking away any choice of how one comes up with a look for each character.

I spend a lot of time on how my girls look. I do NOT want perma-glows obviating my choices!

"But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending." Mercedes Lackey, Into the West

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- four accounts, many alts....
    Options
  • Jazraena
    Jazraena
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would like to ask everyone to voice their opinion as concise as possible, don't engage with the people defending this bug/oversight. Putting whole paragraphs here makes it look like we're whining/exagerating the issue and slims down the chances of this being taken serious.

Just voice your opinion (unslot Grim Focus if youre bothered by it) and hope this gets changed back into a more tasteful visual effect.

Well meant, but frankly, no.

ZOS needs to understand this isn't trivial and I want them to know I'm not irritated by it, but angry. Angry because they're right now making me not play my main, the one I do all relevant content with, as well as three other nightblades. Said main has been my main since release. They're imposing a stark visual change onto our characters with an evident slew of unintended side effects to then have the audacity to claim that this was intended.

And then they ask for feedback, as if 'positive feedback' from a handful of people liking the glow would in any way outweigh literally driving others away from their characters. If they want to hand out free glow cosmetics, there's other ways.

This is an absolute no go and needs to be reverted, and they absolutely need to know people are angry about it.

Edited by Jazraena on August 31, 2023 11:47AM
    Options
  • AstroST
    AstroST
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TaSheen wrote: »
    Fortunately, I don't use grim focus because I don't use bows on my NBs

Wait, what?
    Is this some role play decision to not use grim focus because has a bow animation? I don't understand.

Options