Maintenance for the week of July 1:
· [COMPLETE] NA megaservers for maintenance – July 1, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
· [COMPLETE] EU megaservers for maintenance – July 1, 8:00 UTC (4:00AM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)
· [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – July 1, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Grim Focus Permaglow

• Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AstroST wrote: »
    Look at my NB, hiding in shadows, ready to strike.
    Oh, wait ....
    22utpwwyqmio.png

There goes the 'night' from 'nightblade' :lol:
    Options
  • Darzaka
    Darzaka
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_Kevin You got 5 complete pages of reasons. This move you at all? No shade, the staff's just been quiet.
    Options
  • MZ333
    MZ333
    ✭✭
    ZOS_Kevin wrote: »
    Just wanted to follow up here. Thanks for the feedback so far. The Grim Focus glow is working as intended currently. However, we are monitoring player feedback on this. In feedback, please make sure to note why you like or dislike the glow, as we have seen player feedback regarding both.

The only part possibly intentional about this is the oversight.

The glow needs to activate only when you have 5 stacks and the bow is ready to be fired. When the conditions are intentionally met to activate the skill, as intended. That condition has intentionally changed from dead casting the skill to intentionally click 5 times while pointing at a target, and that should be an intentional change for how the red glow meets the conditions to activate…

It only makes sense to apply the red glow at 5 stacks after 5 LA/HA; only persisting, yet still persisting, until you fire the bow at a target, zone, take the skill off your bar, die, or your stacks time out in a pvp area.

Everyone with an opinion wins there because either opinion for having the permanent red weapon glow or opinion against having every weapon in every color in every permutation permanently glow red so brightly that every permutation of outfit design also takes on a permanent red hue that reflects onto every nearby surface… both become options while using the skill.
    As it is now, the only option to not become a permanently red lantern is to not use a class defining skill, at all.

Nothing changed about the glow from U38 to U39, it glowed while active already, the change was just for the activation to be on always, and inadvertently the glow got left as is. The red glow was always there while the skill was activated.
    I do not feel “intentional” is the most appropriate word to describe how and why the activated red glow effect on weapons from Grim Focus implemented at release to update 1 all the way thru U38 retains the exact intentions into U39 whereas the skill producing the effect on activation was intentionally changed to no longer require activation.
    The skill itself was an intentional change, the multiple skill IDs for the layers of stacks and their icons were intentional changes, the intentional removal of the proc bow skill icon at five stacks was changed. The inadvertent change to the red glow becoming permanent while the skill is activated was the absence of intention, because the effect did not change, the red glow is as it has always been. Active while the skill is.
    So… merely change it to activated while the skill can be activated… Five stacked, bow nocked, skill procd, red glow rocks. Dont gate color preference for people just standing around as they have for nearly a decade tho.

This issue is more than just about a color, it is about context. It could be a very good telegraph once you are at 5 stacks and can activate the ability for example.
    Instead it is a constant telegraphed negativity serving as a reminder for other disagreeable changes, choices, lack of choices, bugs, and pain points from one patch to another over the course of years for me while logged in on my main now…

My opinion? I cant stand the perma glow after less than a week, but the only other option is just as absurd - take Grim off my bar?! It’s been there for 8 years. Cmon now. I would rather go back to dead casting at 4-5 stacks sometimes than see the red glow on my sheathed weapons the moment I load into the game before I’ve moved a muscle not even one more time. I don’t want to log into a negative headspace by logging on my main anymore. Took three days for me to start actively avoiding needing to as well.

How many times am I going to have this experience before y’all get around to correcting it now that it is live?
    Cause where this thread is by asking for feedback instead of treating this as a bug report indicates no plans for correcting something, so incorrect that we are being told to debate why it is as if it isnt, tells me I will have this experience from the moment I log in from the first time to the last of every day for many many many more, possibly every, times I play now?

I can’t focus on anything but my unnatural and unchosen red glowing weapons and the intense red light pervasively illuminating on my character, what he is wearing or doing, following him and tainting every other spectrum of every little other thing within a 10 yard proximity of him in a redder hue at all times from the time I log in on him since the patch until Im so sick of focusing on red glow that I log right back off. Which is actually already quicker than the time it took to write the previous verbose sentence at this point, and this late stage has only taken three days to reach. I dont hate red. I will absolutely grow to have an aversion as I do for blue at this malignant pace.

The issue is not for the red glow permanence or against the red glow permanence, the issue is the condition for having the permanent red glow is either
    slotting and not using an important skill…
    -or-
    unslotting and not using an important skill…
    No inbetween. If the skill is not in use and cannot be used, the red glow telegraphing that it is and can be needs to not be used. If the skill is being used and in use, the red glow telegraphing that it has been and is needs to be used.
    The permanent red glow doesnt, and shouldnt, be an either-or issue. Both those who gave feedback for the permanent red and those against the permanent red glow that yall have accounted for both, are both right and not mutually exclusive. Anyone giving feedback that they are mutually exclusive are exclusionary and giving bad feedback. Though, following this topic on multiple platforms since the patch, I dont think anyone is really saying their preference is the only way and the only two preferences of having the red glow permanently or not permanently are the only two ways.

The rarity of making everyone happy is so so simple here.
    Does the player have 5 stacks? Their weapons glow red until they no longer do have 5 stacks.
    Does the player not have 5 stacks? Their weapons do not glow red until and as long as they do have 5 stacks.

No more feedback is necessary when everyone is happy, any anyone unhappy with both being able to have the permanent red glow while also being able to not have the permanent red glow and still use and slot a class skill; will not be happy anyway.
    I would not consider the absence of making a change to be the presence of intent while intending to make changes to every other aspect. I would consider it an inadvertent consequence of an intentional change that was intentionally ignored despite the feedback already given during PTS before further feedback is requested. I have attempted my very best to write, read, rewrite, and reread each paragraph everytime I open this text file and make an edit to be as tepid and forum appropriate as I am able before posting this. I have been following this thread page by page, editing these points paragraph by paragraph, and reconsidering if I should bother posting this night after night every time this suject bothers me. The amount of words in itself conveys how much this bothers me. I should not have to be this focused on a color I am otherwise unbothered by in a video game I otherwise would be focused on playing. So if I do dedicate my energy, time, and sense while trying to bottle my emotion and try to say it all when none of it should have needed to be said; if any of this is deemed in need of editing after the proof editing I did not need to do to all of this, then next time do not ask for feedback if it cannot be handled. I don't care if it is considered or responded to or ommited from any decision, I care that it's been seen and heard. Especially considering I do not feel my feedback on this, of all the things throuout the years, should have been ever been neccessary to show and say at all. Yet. Here we are. So;

I could attempt to explain many more arguments, and honestly the verbosity and consternation I have already written attempting to convey just some points is indicative enough a point for even myself to know I should not really need to debate them. This is a common sense debate. So consider all the windy run-on sentences above supplemental ;dr and the following two images, and two rhetorical questions, my entire tl; feedback for why:

Which is more inconvenient; entering combat once and left clicking 5 times, or unslotting then reslotting a skill after every engagement and before any combat or the mere prospect combat may or may not occur?
    Did y’all really need to ask for feedback on this, of the innumerable opinions and topics, one?

t6hwkl2tlj54.jpeg
    pmma7ktvnjl7.jpeg

Options
  • Myrnhiel
    Myrnhiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really, really do not like this permaglow.

At first I thought this was a bug, but when I learned that this is indeed intended, I was... not even surprised. Experience taught me that ZOS apparently does never think changes through until the end.

While I know that there a many players who like flashy, glowy things in the games and on their characters, I definitely am not one of them.

I like it plain and simple and that's how I design my characters. No glowing, no flashing, no shiny rainbow colors on their outfit.

Well... so I decided to unslot the ability, because I really can't stand how the bows makes my Anundriel glow everywhere she goes.

I... really... do.. not.... like... it! :/

But... I don't expect anything to be changed. As always. *sigh*
    Options
  • Jazraena
    Jazraena
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    omnidoh wrote: »
    For those of us who enjoy the RP aspects, I would prefer said effects be permanent instead of having to cast the spell constantly every time I want to see the glow.

Do not presume to speak for 'those of us who enjoy the RP aspects'.

Several posters in here hate it precisely because it messes with that, among other things. And frankly, your personal RP is no reason to ruin the already existing characters of others.

To even suggest so is dripping with egoism.
    Options
  • Everaen
    Everaen
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe it could work like the Arcanist triangles a bit.

Hitting a light or heavy attack automatically charges the effect and turns on the glow. Effect fades out of combat after a while. It'd be cool to me, at least, if the glow intensity changed with the stacks, but that's probably too much wishful thinking.

Something like that.
    Options
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    T3Z8WBd.jpg

Options
  • Saefti
    Saefti
    ✭✭✭
    One of the big points about using gloambound weapons are that they disappear when they are sheathed.

The perma glow now make this pointless. Because there is a just glow hanging at cour character with no weapon displayed. This is really weird.

Even if permaglow is intended, you should at least deactivate that perma glow for the gloambound weapons.
    Options
  • Saefti
    Saefti
    ✭✭✭
    fhlbjhwji12n.png
    Options
  • alcoraptor
    alcoraptor
    ✭✭✭
    I don't like it, it gives me motion sickness.

But seriously, this should be a toggle at least. It conflicts with the crown store arms packs, as well as many other weapon light sources.
    Praise Vivec! You were there to stop Alexandra Conele from capturing the coral heart!
    Options
  • Elvenheart
    Elvenheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    AstroST wrote: »
    Look at my NB, hiding in shadows, ready to strike.
    Oh, wait ....
    22utpwwyqmio.png

It’s just because you’re not moving. Once you take your foot off the brakes, maybe the glow will go away? 🤣
    Options
  • PrinceShroob
    PrinceShroob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't mind the glow, but I do miss the counter in the corner of the skill with Ability Bar Timers on that showed you how many light attacks you'd hit with the skill active. It was useful to know how close you were to being able to use Assassin's Will. I'm indifferent to the skill glowing like an Ultimate instead of changing the icon.
    Options
  • Taggund
    Taggund
    ✭✭✭✭
    First time since the change playing my NB today, and this was very annoying as it was a very bright neon red. It would be really nice to have an option to turn off the weapon effect.
    Options
  • AstroST
    AstroST
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    not being able to be a stealthy assasin anymore my NB rethought his career choice and changed job

cacehz4ypw64.jpeg
    Options
  • KapiteinBoterham
    KapiteinBoterham
    ✭✭✭
    I legit thought this was a bug after the update, it looks terrible.

7ltbulj433f4.jpg
    Options
  • Belegnole
    Belegnole
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I generally like free effects. I am not happy with how this changes items with effects I payed for. I agree that the effect should show when the ability is ready to be used and only when weapons are out. Showing the effect when sheathed is silly at best.
    Options
  • Feljax
    Feljax
    ✭✭✭
    Not a fan of perma-glow. I'd rather it glow when stacks are maxed as previously suggested. But if not removing the perma-glow, at least make an exception for Gloambound and disable it entirely when using that motif. Floating perma-glow is just ridiculous.

I'll also add that I'm not really fond of the idea of a toggle as a solution because that would only affect how you see your character. Not much good to me if I can't see the floating red orb but I know that everyone else who passes me can see it.
    Edited by Feljax on August 28, 2023 6:38PM
    Options
  • Ravensilver
    Ravensilver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really, really, REALLY, hate the glow! I'm seriously thinking about removing Grim Focus from my bar. I look like a red searchlight wherever I go. It clashes with my transmog. I hate red. I break off scrying all the time, because I think I'm being attacked. It is so, so, soooo annoying!

60fq4k6j3ke1.png

[Snip]

I thought I'd adjust my transmog accordingly... You know... to go with the Red Light that we're sending out... >.>

c0qrp8uycce3.png

[Edited for inappropriate Content]
    Edited by ZOS_Volpe on August 30, 2023 1:29PM
    Options
  • wilykcat
    wilykcat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The glowing effect is ok. I like that shade of red. Glowing red isn't even a bright color and the color red has the lowest wave length compared to any other color.
    Options
  • MZ333
    MZ333
    ✭✭
    wilykcat wrote: »
    The glowing effect is ok. I like that shade of red. Glowing red isn't even a bright color and the color red has the lowest wave length compared to any other color.

It is a bright enough color to change any other color on, under, and around your character to red too. The glow is not the topic of the thread, it has been in the game since its inception. Glad you like that shade of red because, unless you take Grim Focus off your bar now, red is the only shade you (and every Nb, because every Nb slots Grim Focus) get.
    Options
  • Ravensilver
    Ravensilver
    ✭✭✭✭✭

As you can see in my post above, the colours of my [Snip]mog are completely subsumed by the red glow from the weapon on my back. You can't see that the legs are bi-coloured in gold and purple. You can't see the subtle shade of pink and gold on the top. You can't see the cherry blossom markings, because *IT'S ALL RED, ALL THE TIME!* No matter what I choose in style or colour, it will always be red. Brightly, glowing red!

This is totally contrary to the "play as you want, how you want" motto that ZOS always espouses.

And, just in case I haven't mentioned before, I hate red (at least in this context).

[Edited for inappropriate Content]
    Edited by ZOS_Volpe on August 30, 2023 1:30PM
    Options
  • wilykcat
    wilykcat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When something glows red it makes everything else around appear to be red. The reason why other stuff appears to be red near red light is due to a reflection of the color red when all the other colors are being absorbed. It is basic physics of light and color.

Objects appear different colors due to some colors being absorbed and when other colors are being reflected. The luminous (giving out light) object here is the glowing red sword. The other objects around the glowing red sword along with the character and outfit are reflective . Since there is another luminous (light) source, red is not the only one being seen.

The red glow is only around the sword and isn't as bright due to a 2nd greater full RGB light source. The glow will appear to be brighter in the dark (when there is a lack of a another light source). The colors being reflected are the colors that are visible. No light = No colors.

So I say the lighting in this game is pretty realistic and they nailed the light/color physics right.
    Edited by wilykcat on August 29, 2023 10:02PM
    Options
  • Ravensilver
    Ravensilver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So I say the lighting in this game is pretty realistic and they nailed the light/color physics right.

So... if I understand you correctly, you're saying it's perfectly realistic that if I were to stand somewhere in real life with a red light on my back, my eyelashes, my lips, the chain across my nose, my chin, my neck and my bra would glow red from the inside out?

Interesting...

gwqa0wsp331h.jpg
    Options
  • ESO_player123
    ESO_player123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When something glows red it makes everything else around appear to be red. The reason why other stuff appears to be red near red light is due to a reflection of the color red when all the other colors are being absorbed. It is basic physics of light and color.

Objects appear different colors due to some colors being absorbed and when other colors are being reflected. The luminous (giving out light) object here is the glowing red sword. The other objects around the glowing red sword along with the character and outfit are reflective . Since there is another luminous (light) source, red is not the only one being seen.

The red glow is only around the sword and isn't as bright due to a 2nd greater full RGB light source. The glow will appear to be brighter in the dark (when there is a lack of a another light source). The colors being reflected are the colors that are visible. No light = No colors.

It does not matter if it's pretty realistic or not. If it messes with peoples' long existing view/design of their characters, of course it will lead to displeasure and complains.

I'll just leave the pic of my small wood elf here again (she is clad in all black). Yes, I do not like it.
    LLOXHHC.png
    Edited by ESO_player123 on August 30, 2023 6:24AM
    Options
  • wilykcat
    wilykcat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is based on the angles of the glow is coming in. The red glow is coming from behind. The orange glow is coming from the top right. The white glow is coming from the top left.

The red glow which is giving more of a backlighting illumination effect on your character which means the light is mostly showing up on the edges and not directly in front. Light will come in through any gaps which explains why the red glow is more bold on the fingers, chin, inside of the arms, some on the shoulders, and certain parts the underside) of the character's face. Also the character's position is not exactly centered so some areas will receive a bit more glow than others.

The 2nd light source is coming from the top right which is the fire staff that emits an orange glow. It is making the top right of your character's hair to have some orange along with the eyelashes.

The 3rd light source is from the sun and its coming from the top left. That gives a faint natural looking glow on the left side of your character. Since the 3rd light source is brighter than the others, the red and orange glow barley have effect on the main surface and only appears at certain angles. It also depends on each of the light sources' intensity.

There are multiple textures in the image: metallic, shiny, base, smooth, and rough. Light hits each texture differently.

The color black on objects does not reflect light. The light instead gets absorbed.
    shgr5nv9xlk7.png

Edited by wilykcat on August 30, 2023 12:49AM
    Options
  • wilykcat
    wilykcat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The red glow will appear to be different based on the lighting of the environment.

Glowing effects are more intense in dim light and the most intense in the dark. In natural light like under the sun, the red glow is not as bright and intense.

There are so many factors based on how light/color physics work. It gets way more complicated further on.
    Edited by wilykcat on August 30, 2023 12:33AM
    Options
  • master_vanargand
    master_vanargand
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did ZoS change Nightblade's class name to "Redrum"?
    The permanent red glow is ridiculous.
    Turn off the red glow when not in combat.
    Options
  • Ravensilver
    Ravensilver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @wilykcat I am not interested in the physics of light. I am interested in getting rid of that absolutely nerve racking red glow! I don't care whether in real life red light reflects or does a happy dance on clouds. I don't want the glow!

There is another factor to this, which obviously ZOS has not realized yet: looking at that invasive and intense red glow all evening for several hours leads to eye fatigue and headaches. I had to stop playing, because my eyes just couldn't handle seeing that glow front and center for hours. And I also didn't appreciate the headache that I had by the end of the gaming evening.

I have never had a headache from playing ESO before. Now I do.

I don't want it.

Other players don't want it.

@ZOS_Kevin , please make it go away!
    Options
  • AstroST
    AstroST
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_Kevin can we have an update on what is gonna be with the glow?

I would like to know if I have to delete my NB and start levelling a new char.
    Would also be nice to know if you are gonna ruin another class so I will non waste my time and money again.

Thanks.
    Options
  • Kisakee
    Kisakee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We now have a *permanent* glow that we didn't ask for and don't want. We're not fine with it. We would like to have it back to what it was before.

YOU are not fine with it, YOU don't want it. I want it and I am fine with it.
    "I don't know who you are, but i will find you and i will rob you." - Liam Thiefsson
    Options