The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

[Datamine] 2021 Chapter Name and Details

Cactus_Back
Cactus_Back
✭✭✭✭
As many of us expected, today's patch added new information regarding the next chapter to the ESO text files.

The chapter is named Blackwood and here's the main story description:

"Long before the Oblivion Crisis, the Longhouse Emperors made a deal with a devil — Mehrunes Dagon. That deal comes due in the newest ESO year-long story, The Gates of Oblivion, a saga of murderous deceit and sinister revelations that lead you to the nightmare realm known as the Deadlands."

A bit more details including the pre-order bonuses and what seems to be a new system (?) here.
  • amertuim
    amertuim
    ✭✭✭
    Oh my god.... I cry with tears... o:)
    An annoyed healer threw away his Resto staff and picked up daggers.

No one can stop his rage.
  • RecktrithiusOediphitry
    wOdgBPQ.jpg

Ugh, just why? It's an MMO game, get people to team up. Not to mention that overland content is already extremely easy, so why would anyone need help from an NPC is beyond me.
    Edited by RecktrithiusOediphitry on January 26, 2021 1:58PM
  • Sergykid
    Sergykid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    great, another long forgotten thing that will destroy existence and we will need to help a new guild to defeat it
    -PC EU- / battlegrounds on my youtube
  • KovalskyNestor
    KovalskyNestor
    ✭✭✭
    I'm starting to belive more and more that this chapter will involve parts of Cyrodiil and Black Marsh, and that the city in trailer was indeed Bravil or Leyawiin. We might even get acces to rest of Cyrodiil later this year.
  • Revokus
    Revokus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Donavarion wrote: »
    wOdgBPQ.jpg

Ugh, just why? It's an MMO game, get people to team up. Not to mention that overland content is already extremely easy, so why would anyone need a help from an NPC is beyond me.

Exactly lmao. Looks like the chapter will be underwhelming if there isn't any new weapon and just fluff.
    Edited by Revokus on January 26, 2021 2:01PM
    Playing since January 23, 2016
  • James-Wayne
    James-Wayne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wOdgBPQ.jpg

Ugh, just why? It's an MMO game, get people to team up. Not to mention that overland content is already extremely easy, so why would anyone need a help from an NPC is beyond me.

Because the story content is all singleplayer content.... these companions better be useful! :D
    PERTH, AUSTRALIA | PC | NA | @Aussie-Elders

TENTH ANNIVERSARY - Thanks for sticking with us for 10 years.
    James-Wayne you earned this badge 9:56AM on 4th of February 2024.
    529 people have also earned this badge.
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wOdgBPQ.jpg

Ugh, just why? It's an MMO game, get people to team up. Not to mention that overland content is already extremely easy, so why would anyone need help from an NPC is beyond me.

Oh my, the last I need is another annoying NPC, who doesn't let me play in peace. It is already annoying having to deal with those NPCs in the base game zones, who approach me and follow me around - I don't want to help them ever - because they are so insanely annoying. I hope it isn't obligatory.
  • Tremuto
    Tremuto
    ✭✭✭
    wOdgBPQ.jpg

Tell that to the newer players that constantly ask for help at Nindaeril's Perch
  • dinokstrunz
    dinokstrunz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ngl it sounds pretty boring, I know ZoS cut back on new systems but damn that sounds bland as ***. This game is heading down the SWTOR road isn't it?
  • Giraffon
    Giraffon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pft. Sorcs have been doing it from day one and also wardens. Might as well let everyone else have some kind of thing following you around. As long as they don't have flappy wings or a big bear butt that blocks everything, I think it's fine.
    Giraffon - Beta Lizard - For the Pact!
  • Wolf81
    Wolf81
    ✭✭✭
    Pre-order Mount I think..it was showing up on achievement tracker pages it seems
    lceE0nx.jpg
  • HankTwo
    HankTwo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If an NPC companion that follows you around in overland PvE is the only new gameplay addition this will be an extremely weak chapter. Honestly, I dont get why ZOS wont go for new weapon types like a melee magicka weapon, since there are a lot of obvious skill choices for such a weapon skill line (major sorcery self buff, gapcloser, melee execute, ...)
    Edited by HankTwo on January 26, 2021 2:18PM
    PC EU
    Stam DK, Magden, Magplar, Stamcro, Hybrid Sorc, Magblade & Mag DK
  • Cactus_Back
    Cactus_Back
    ✭✭✭✭
    wOdgBPQ.jpg

My thoughts too. I don't want to be critical before the official reveal but yeah, NPCs helping us in overland is just unnecessary. Now, if we can take them to Maelstrom Arena... :D
  • Raideen
    Raideen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Wolf81 wrote: »
    Pre-order Mount I think..it was showing up on achievement tracker pages it seems
    lceE0nx.jpg

I like it. Looks kinda like a Dewback.
  • MajThorax
    MajThorax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So does this companions-thing mean trials will be for 24 characters : 12 players and 12 companions?
  • CaptainVenom
    CaptainVenom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People complaining about the new system be like: F4cDngA.png

Like... if you don't like it, don't use it.
    🌈 Ride with Pride 🌈Magicka/Damage Necromancer - PC - NA - DC
  • Tanis-Stormbinder
    Tanis-Stormbinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hope they unlock the entire CP system and level the game to max CP then a companion may be useful
  • caperb
    caperb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So if we have Blackwood as a zone DLC that means that either the West Weald or the Badlands will only be a quest or dungeon zone.
  • adriant1978
    adriant1978
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    wOdgBPQ.jpg

Wonder if these will be allowed to fill group spots in dungeons à la SWTOR.
  • Fischblut
    Fischblut
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thank you very much for another fast datamine! :) Can't wait for PTS and Iron Atronach crates datamines already o:)

I was not ready for something good in new chapter... But Deadlands Wamasu battle pet/mount/something (based on description), Battlefiend Nightmare Senche (if I understand correctly what it's based on, the pet version of this senche had one of the coolest summon animations - jumping out of the ground in clouds of flame), Jewel-Feathered Sep Adder, Nagahide Welwa Ravager for preorder?.. <3

Depending on the looks of these items, I'm seriously afraid that I will have to pre-order this chapter :o
    Edited by Fischblut on January 26, 2021 2:11PM
  • HankTwo
    HankTwo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Furthermore, if ZOS allows the NPC companions to be used in any endgame content that would be extremely stupid and arguably the worst case of unnecessary power creep and pay2win we have seen yet. Worst case would be PvP. Imagine if every single players gets the opportunity to have an additional, targetable permanent pet around... urgh I dont even want to imagine that.
    PC EU
    Stam DK, Magden, Magplar, Stamcro, Hybrid Sorc, Magblade & Mag DK
  • dinokstrunz
    dinokstrunz
    ✭✭✭✭✭

wth is fun about an AI helping you complete quests lol? The real question is the eligibility in Dungeons, PvP, Trials and solo arenas. Imagine a group of players running around with pets everywhere, yeah that'll be great for immersion and performance right.
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So some people will not only have like 3 pets trailing behind them but as well a companion? And I fear that dungeons and quest location will be filled with even more dead NPCs and the intended quest cannot be felt for what it's supposed to be.
  • Sidonius
    Sidonius
    ✭✭✭
    Could one assume you'd choose between a healer/fighter. I'd just hope they would be somewhat customizable.
    Race/clothes/body.. I could get used to running with a big bootied Orc healer.

Nothing Suss!
  • CyberOnEso
    CyberOnEso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chapter crown store art
    SPOILER_unknown.png

Zone Description
    From the Imperial city of Leyawiin, first featured in The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, to the murky bogs of the Argonian homeland and everything in between, new challenges and stories await as you explore Blackwood, a land on the brink of destruction and beset by a rising Daedric influence

Rundown of what I have found so far
    Chapter Name: Blackwood

Zone: Blackwood https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Blackwood

Major Feature: Companions

Collectors Edition
    • Battlefield Nightmare Senche Mount
    • Jewel-Feathered Sep Adder Pet
    • Temporal Grimoire Memento
    • Deadlands Gladiator Outfit Style
    • Offer Weapon Emote

Pre order For
    • Nagahide Welwa Ravager Mount
    • Nightmare Bear Cub Pet
    Which you can get immediately
    • Dremora Kynreeve Outfit
    • Deadlands Wamasu Pet
    • 1× Iron Atronach Crate
    • 3× Blackwood Treasure Maps
    • 2× Experience Scrolls
    Which you get at launch

FAQ
    New Class: No
    New Weapon: No
    New Skill Line: Unlikely
    Edited by CyberOnEso on January 26, 2021 2:22PM
    @CyberOnEso PC | EU - Jack of all Trades - Armory Style Manager Planesbreaker | Godslayer | Dawnbringer | Immortal Redeemer | Tick Tock Tormentor | Gryphon Heart
  • Mettaricana
    Mettaricana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Can we gear out the companion? Cuz having a geared out npc tank with a taunt is all ill ever need. Better if we can make our companion.
  • Nairinhe
    Nairinhe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If you want to group with other players, just group with other players and leave those who want NPC companions alone. Well, not alone anymore, but you get it.

But wait...
    wOdgBPQ.jpg
    "Develop a relationship?" Relationship?

Why the heck the reveal stream if so far away! By Mora's slimy tentacles, I crave knowledge!

• James-Wayne
    James-Wayne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dlc-bw-chapterupgrade.png
    PERTH, AUSTRALIA | PC | NA | @Aussie-Elders

TENTH ANNIVERSARY - Thanks for sticking with us for 10 years.
    James-Wayne you earned this badge 9:56AM on 4th of February 2024.
    529 people have also earned this badge.
  • TwinLamps
    TwinLamps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok, I dont mind companions system.
    Just wish that is not the only thing.
    I mean, its nice for a DLC feature, but it hardly adds enough flavor to entire chapter.
    Awake, but at what cost
  • vhagar122
    vhagar122
    ✭✭
    no no no no pls dont allow companions in pvp dungeons trials wtf