The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

[MATH] PvP Defensive Set Comparison (Impreg, Brass, Pariah, Riposte, + more)

• Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting indeed...

So in circumstances where Riposte is only negating 10% of the incoming damage (compared to Combat Physician in a 1v1 scenario), a Riposte wearer would have withstand 41k damage every 6 seconds simply to equal the amount of damage negation a Combat Physician wearer can negate in an equal time span...

Over the course of a full minute, a Riposte wearer would have to withstand 410k damage simply to negate an equal amount of damage a Combat Physician wearer can negate in the same span of time...

With diminishing returns (due to CP's) being a negative to Riposte, I think its safe to say that Combat Physician is clearly superior to Riposte in a 1v1 scenario...

You and your G.D. combat physician
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • TheDoomsdayMonster
    TheDoomsdayMonster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting indeed...

So in circumstances where Riposte is only negating 10% of the incoming damage (compared to Combat Physician in a 1v1 scenario), a Riposte wearer would have withstand 41k damage every 6 seconds simply to equal the amount of damage negation a Combat Physician wearer can negate in an equal time span...

Over the course of a full minute, a Riposte wearer would have to withstand 410k damage simply to negate an equal amount of damage a Combat Physician wearer can negate in the same span of time...

With diminishing returns (due to CP's) being a negative to Riposte, I think its safe to say that Combat Physician is clearly superior to Riposte in a 1v1 scenario...

:trollface:

I beat the drum with extreme violence for the Combat Physician gear set...

:smile:
    Edited by TheDoomsdayMonster on December 29, 2017 6:33AM
    Unyeilding Bias
    PSN TheLordofMurder
    PS4 NA
    Magicka Templar
    DC
    The Combat Physician: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKaqUVm_8JE&t=142s
  • Trashs1
    Trashs1
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting indeed...

you and yoiur innate axium xD
    Edited by Trashs1 on December 29, 2017 7:20AM
    Dolche des Königs (DDK); EuPC, DC, Sotha Sil,
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting indeed...

You're forgetting that shields don't have resistance, so they essentially take more damage than a player unless the opponent has fully penetrated (giggity) your armor (normally not the case). So that 4.7k shield goes out with 1 attack and you're left standing and waiting for 5 seconds for your "mitigation" if you're on the defensive and it didn't proc for 4 seconds beyond the 6 cooldown, it's CP is reduced even further and rather quickly.

A 5k shield every 6 seconds is so easy to work around as an attacker. A reliable mitigation % is easier for the defender to build around than hoping an unmitigated 5k shield will proc every 6 seconds.
  • TheDoomsdayMonster
    TheDoomsdayMonster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting indeed...

You're forgetting that shields don't have resistance, so they essentially take more damage than a player unless the opponent has fully penetrated (giggity) your armor (normally not the case). So that 4.7k shield goes out with 1 attack and you're left standing and waiting for 5 seconds for your "mitigation" if you're on the defensive and it didn't proc for 4 seconds beyond the 6 cooldown, it's CP is reduced even further and rather quickly.

A 5k shield every 6 seconds is so easy to work around as an attacker. A reliable mitigation % is easier for the defender to build around than hoping an unmitigated 5k shield will proc every 6 seconds.

Its not that simple...

While the shield takes more damage than a player, it cant be Crit attacked either, so a direct comparsion can be tricky...

And while its true that a single good attack can take the shield down, the shield still will negate 4.1k damage all at once...

If a Wizards Riposte user was hit with a 4.1k attack (pending how your CP's are set up) as little as 410 would be negated...

3690 damage still gets through to the Riposte Wearer while 0 gets through to the Combat Physician user (assuming an identical scenario)...

The Riposte user would have to be hit by that same 4.1k attack 9 more times in a 6 second span just to catch up to that 4.1k damage negation Combat Physician provided all at once earlier...

Edit: with a build that stacks HoT's and possess's a high Spell Crit, one can make it a near certainty that the shield reprocs immediately on cooldown...
    Edited by TheDoomsdayMonster on December 29, 2017 7:46AM
    Unyeilding Bias
    PSN TheLordofMurder
    PS4 NA
    Magicka Templar
    DC
  • Taylor_MB
    Taylor_MB
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I honestly do not know whether you legitimately think Combat Physician is a good set, pure trolling, or have publicly staked your reputation on such a terrible set and it's too late to back out now. Nonetheless...

Best Scenario for CP - 1v1
    Even if for whatever reason you want to wear a defensive set in a 1v1 and even if WR only negates 10% damage (I couldn't get it that low), WR still out performs CP when you are taking more then 6.8k damage per second. So basically, CP only works against people with DPS so low you shouldn't need a defensive set anyway. Additionally, CP might negate a single critical strike every 6 seconds, but that 683 damage per second that CP will negate does not get reduced by your resistances or get benefit from blocking.

1v2 & 2v1
    Then when you add a third person to that fight, even if they are on your team, you are decreasing the effectiveness of CP vs WR, for multiple reasons:
    1) If CP procs on the person not being targeted then that is a full proc completely wasted.
    2) Any AoE (think Subterranean Assault > 2H HA > Dawnbreaker) is effectively reducing CP's mitigation by 50% compared to WR (which would mitigate for all targets, not just one).
    3) If you are being targeted by two people, with WR only doing 10% mitigation their DPS each needs to less then 3.4k each for CP to outperform WR.

4v4
    Even if WR only mitigates 10% damage, your 4 opponents need to be doing less then 1.7k each ONLY to the person with CP proc'ing on them to out perform WR.

Calculations
    CP per second mitigation (100% uptime) =
    8195 / 6 / 2

damage per second for CP and WR to be equal =
    'CP per second mitigation' / WR mitigation

WR mitigation is 10% for above calculations (worst case)

If you want to wear a set that only "works" in a 1v1 against mediocre damage opponents then be our guest, but don't try and promote this garbage set with incomplete math and a pathetic level of situational analysis.

I left this post unsent for quite a while because people have already tried to engage with you in a logical discussion and it just doesn't happen. I eventually decided to hit post because I don't want anyone to think that your constant promoting of this set actually has any merit whatsoever.

Edited by Taylor_MB on December 29, 2017 9:26AM
    PvP Defensive Set Comparison
    Firestarter MagDK 1vX
    - build and gamplay!
    LagPlar Ranged Lag Proof(ish) Magplar
    - build and gamplay!
    ShadowGaurd MagBlade Group Utility Tank
    - build and gamplay!
    Oncoming Storm No-CP 11.6k Ward MagSorc - build and gamplay!
    My YouTube Chanel

• Trashs1
    Trashs1
    ✭✭✭
    pwned by maths :)
    Edited by Trashs1 on December 29, 2017 9:50AM
    Dolche des Königs (DDK); EuPC, DC, Sotha Sil,
  • TheDoomsdayMonster
    TheDoomsdayMonster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Taylor_MB wrote: »
    I honestly do not know whether you legitimately think Combat Physician is a good set, pure trolling, or have publicly staked your reputation on such a terrible set and it's too late to back out now. Nonetheless...

Best Scenario for CP - 1v1
    Even if for whatever reason you want to wear a defensive set in a 1v1 and even if WR only negates 10% damage (I couldn't get it that low), WR still out performs CP when you are taking more then 6.8k damage per second. So basically, CP only works against people with DPS so low you shouldn't need a defensive set anyway. Additionally, CP might negate a single critical strike every 6 seconds, but that 683 damage per second that CP will negate does not get reduced by your resistances or get benefit from blocking.

1v2 & 2v1
    Then when you add a third person to that fight, even if they are on your team, you are decreasing the effectiveness of CP vs WR, for multiple reasons:
    1) If CP procs on the person not being targeted then that is a full proc completely wasted.
    2) Any AoE (think Subterranean Assault > 2H HA > Dawnbreaker) is effectively reducing CP's mitigation by 50% compared to WR (which would mitigate for all targets, not just one).
    3) If you are being targeted by two people, with WR only doing 10% mitigation their DPS each needs to less then 3.4k each for CP to outperform WR.

4v4
    Even if WR only mitigates 10% damage, your 4 opponents need to be doing less then 1.7k each ONLY to the person with CP proc'ing on them to out perform WR.

Calculations
    CP per second mitigation (100% uptime) =
    8195 / 6 / 2

damage per second for CP and WR to be equal =
    'CP per second mitigation' / WR mitigation

WR mitigation is 10% for above calculations (worst case)

If you want to wear a set that only "works" in a 1v1 against mediocre damage opponents then be our guest, but don't try and promote this garbage set with incomplete math and a pathetic level of situational analysis.

I left this post unsent for quite a while because people have already tried to engage with you in a logical discussion and it just doesn't happen. I eventually decided to hit post because I don't want anyone to think that your constant promoting of this set actually has any merit whatsoever.

In a 1v1 scenario, receiving over 6.8k damage per second (so lets say 6.9k damage per second) is going to be lethal to many players unless you are on the defensive healing yourself and/or using other methods to mitigate damage...

Besides unless I am CC'ed, I will be moving, blocking, dodging, and maybe even using other abilities to avoid damage; being able to average more than 6.8k damage per second will be a challenge (here on console, we have no macro's allowing us to string multiple attacks together with a single press of a button)...

What you describe is a situation where the player is eating over 41k damage every 6 seconds for Riposte to beat out Combat Physician; in that case, sure Riposte's is better...but for a character with around 20-25k health (and a lot of characters have health in this range)...they will likely be dead before that figure is reached (unless they are defending themselves [thereby mitigating damage and preventing that 41k figure from being reached] by moving, dodging, blocking, healing, ect, ect during that stretch).

In addition, my numbers are complete and don't lie...

Riposte's will reduce a 4.1k attack down by 410 (which means you'd eat 3690 of it) in the worse case and by 615 in the best case (forcing you to eat 3485 of it); those numbers are 100% true and accurate...

Oh and btw, both of those numbers are inferior to Combat Physicians 683 damage negation per second average...

If someone was subject to a 25k burst (and burst is typically what kills vs the better players; not damage over time), Combat Physician would protect you better from this than Riposte's would...

Combat Physician would negate 4.1k of it and Riposte's would negate 3750 of it (and that assuming the full 15% negation for Riposte's; with diminishing returns the negation could be as low as 2500)...

That's math that doesn't lie and is hardly incomplete...

As pertains to the group senario's, yes, I agree...Riposte's will provide more mitigation...no question.

Of course, your healer does have to be hit (and ideally by every single attacker) to provide that mitigation while your healer doesn't have to be hit a single time for CP to provide its 5th piece benefit, but that's a different conversation...

In conclusion, your analysis that CP is garbage is not true; especially as pertains to a single attacker situation...

Combat Physician is far more versatile than Riposte's as well as it'll protect you from Siege Weapons and will mitigate damage against any NPC mob (and this is a factor when doing Imperial City Sewers are you are typically fighting PC's and NPC's down there); Riposte scores a big fat zero as pertains to mitigating damage from those sources
    Edited by TheDoomsdayMonster on December 29, 2017 11:56AM
    Unyeilding Bias
    PSN TheLordofMurder
    PS4 NA
    Magicka Templar
    DC
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @Taylor_MB with the Tombstone Piledriver into the Combat Physician's violently beaten drum. @TheDoomsdayMonster looking dazed and confused, surely cannot recover as the ref begins the count 1....2....

GrandJovialChanticleer-max-1mb.gif
    EU | PC | AD
  • TheDoomsdayMonster
    TheDoomsdayMonster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maulkin wrote: »
    @Taylor_MB with the Tombstone Piledriver into the Combat Physician's violently beaten drum. @TheDoomsdayMonster looking dazed and confused, surely cannot recover as the ref begins the count 1....2....

GrandJovialChanticleer-max-1mb.gif

I never give up...

Combat Physician will never die...its here to stay...all bow down in worship to the mighty Combat Physician gear set!!
    Edited by TheDoomsdayMonster on December 29, 2017 12:27PM
    Unyeilding Bias
    PSN TheLordofMurder
    PS4 NA
    Magicka Templar
    DC
  • TheDoomsdayMonster
    TheDoomsdayMonster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trashs1 wrote: »
    pwned by maths :)

His maths don't tell the whole tale...
    Unyeilding Bias
    PSN TheLordofMurder
    PS4 NA
    Magicka Templar
    DC
  • Taylor_MB
    Taylor_MB
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If your claim that CP keeps you alive by dulling burst damage... then have fun relying on somehow strategically proc'ing CP every 6 seconds to perfectly line up with your opponents burst.

If someone was subject to a 25k burst (and burst is typically what kills vs the better players; not damage over time), Combat Physician would protect you better from this than Riposte's would...

Combat Physician would negate 4.1k of it and Riposte's would negate 3750 of it...
    That is assuming a burst every 6 seconds. Magicka Sorcerer's can easily pull off burst every ~3.5seconds.

Edited by Taylor_MB on December 29, 2017 10:39AM
    PvP Defensive Set Comparison
    Firestarter MagDK 1vX
    - build and gamplay!
    LagPlar Ranged Lag Proof(ish) Magplar
    - build and gamplay!
    ShadowGaurd MagBlade Group Utility Tank
    - build and gamplay!
    Oncoming Storm No-CP 11.6k Ward MagSorc - build and gamplay!
    My YouTube Chanel

• TheDoomsdayMonster
    TheDoomsdayMonster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Taylor_MB wrote: »
    If your claim that CP keeps you alive by dulling burst damage... then have fun relying on somehow strategically proc'ing CP every 6 seconds to perfectly line up with your opponents burst.

Combat Physician would negate 4.1k of it and Riposte's would negate 3750 of it...
    That is assuming a burst every 6 seconds. Magicka Sorcerer's can easily pull off burst every ~3.5seconds.

Keep in mind that the 3750 negation for Riposte vs that 25k burst is a best case scenario for it; the negation could be as low as 2500 due to diminishing returns...

In which case CP is significantly better vs that burst..

And yeah, a Sorc can burst quickly, but he's still gotta hit me with it all...

And on my CPU assist/macro free console, Sorcs have been one of the easier class's to play against since frags lost their stun...

Unyeilding Bias
    PSN TheLordofMurder
    PS4 NA
    Magicka Templar
    DC
  • AllPlayAndNoWork
    AllPlayAndNoWork
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So while we might think Wizard's is mitigation is 1.5% better (and thus about an extra 15% more damage then Transmutation), it's just 56 damage. And that 56 damage is, again, just an estimation of what we think is the average stats of our cyrodiil's opponents. Best call it a wash and look at the 2-4 pieces of each set as to whether to pick one or the other.

So essentially it comes down to;
    1) The 4 piece set
    2) The playstyle (HoT or Hit).

For me personally I have much more surviveability with Riposte as I survive ganks much more with it over transmutation.
  • Rianai
    Rianai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DPS and mitigation/second is pretty much irrelevant in PvP, because it is all about burst. And combat physician can be easily countered by bursting after the shield goes down, which means the burst (which is what kills players, not some "dps") will be completely unmitigated. It will only be uselful against players that are dumb enough to burst into the shield proc ...

I could see CP being useful only on a shieldstacking build, but those typically lack heals to proc CP and as soon there are multiple players involved, riposte would be clearly better again.
    Edited by Rianai on December 29, 2017 2:29PM
  • TheDoomsdayMonster
    TheDoomsdayMonster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rianai wrote: »
    DPS and mitigation/second is pretty much irrelevant in PvP, because it is all about burst. And combat physician can be easily countered by bursting after the shield goes down, which means the burst (which is what kills players, not some "dps") will be completely unmitigated. It will only be uselful against players that are dumb enough to burst into the shield proc ...

I could see CP being useful only on a shieldstacking build, but those typically lack heals to proc CP and as soon there are multiple players involved, riposte would be clearly better again.

Healing Ward procs the Combat Physician Damage Shield... ;)

In duels this equates to stacking shields that range from 6k+ negation all the way to 12k+ negation on my build...
    Edited by TheDoomsdayMonster on December 29, 2017 3:11PM
    Unyeilding Bias
    PSN TheLordofMurder
    PS4 NA
    Magicka Templar
    DC
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

In duels this equates to stacking shields that range from 6k+ negation all the way to 12k+ negation on my build...

Play a sorc that casts an 8k shield every 6 seconds and tell me how that goes. The numbers would tell you that's more mitigation than CP. But that sorc would die.
    Its a set that any good opponent can capitalize on.

Can you stop in this thread though? No one wants to have this thread turned into one of your many CP is good threads...
  • Rianai
    Rianai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Healing Ward isn't something you want to spam though. And even if you would proc CP frequently somehow i don't think it would be better for duels than something like Necro, which doesn't only increase all shields (except those from set procs :trollface: ) but also dmg and heals.
  • TheDoomsdayMonster
    TheDoomsdayMonster
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Play a sorc that casts an 8k shield every 6 seconds and tell me how that goes. The numbers would tell you that's more mitigation than CP. But that sorc would die.
    Its a set that any good opponent can capitalize on.

Can you stop in this thread though? No one wants to have this thread turned into one of your many CP is good threads...

I'll let my crusade die...that's fine.

BUT I just want to make my case that the set is good and is nowhere near as bad as many if you seem to think...

The numbers support my stance...

The great flexibility it provides supports my stance...

The set is pretty good and I want you to acknowledge it!!!!

:trollface:

PS, that Sorc is not a Magicka Templar...

I can stack damage shields, multiple Hots simultaneously, and have 29k Spell Resist/20k Physical Resist at all times so it's not the same thing at all...

Your Sorc comparison fails horribly...
    Edited by TheDoomsdayMonster on December 29, 2017 4:12PM
    Unyeilding Bias
    PSN TheLordofMurder
    PS4 NA
    Magicka Templar
    DC
  • TheDoomsdayMonster
    TheDoomsdayMonster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Healing Ward isn't something you want to spam though. And even if you would proc CP frequently somehow i don't think it would be better for duels than something like Necro, which doesn't only increase all shields (except those from set procs :trollface: ) but also dmg and heals.

It gives me great results...

But other than experience actually using this combo, what do I know...
    Unyeilding Bias
    PSN TheLordofMurder
    PS4 NA
    Magicka Templar
    DC
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @Taylor_MB would you be able to look at skills and passives that have percentage based reduction like Empowering Sweep etc and give some clarification on those too please?
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Interesting indeed...

Dude, gtfo, that’s only 6.8k DPS, combat physician isn’t even close to riposte. You’re the absolute worst, this set is garbage and so is ANY build using it. That’s all fine and good, but then you try to recommend it to other people over actually viable sets? Just gtfo. Against no competent player would you last until the second proc of CP if you even considered going offensive.
    Edited by Lexxypwns on December 29, 2017 5:11PM
  • TheDoomsdayMonster
    TheDoomsdayMonster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lexxypwns wrote: »
    Interesting indeed...

Dude, gtfo, that’s only 6.8k DPS, combat physician isn’t even close to riposte. You’re the absolute worst, this set is garbage and so is ANY build using it. That’s all fine and good, but then you try to recommend it to other people over actually viable sets? Just gtfo. Against no competent player would you last until the second proc of CP if you even considered going offensive.

Keep reading the thread, all mighty wise one, and you'll see that your reasoning is in error...

;)

Edit: You mad? Why you mad bro?

Why do you refuse to accept the goodness that the Combat Physician gear set brings to the game?

:)
    Edited by TheDoomsdayMonster on December 29, 2017 5:37PM
    Unyeilding Bias
    PSN TheLordofMurder
    PS4 NA
    Magicka Templar
    DC
  • Ariades_swe
    Ariades_swe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting indeed...

Keep reading the thread, all mighty wise one, and you'll see that your reasoning is in error...

;)

I think you are the most entertaing poster in 2017.
    Keep going!
  • pieratsos
    pieratsos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Interesting indeed...

;)

CP is trash. Get over it. You are literally arguing for a set only from a duel perspective and yet not a single player in any duelling tournament used that set. If you absolutely wanted to put on a defensive set that is just good in a 1v1 scenario u can put on blessed meridia. There you go, no need for a tiny shield every few seconds. You can just dodge everything with a 40-50% uptime.
  • Subversus
    Subversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting indeed...

LMAOOOOO

My buddy does an average of 4-7k per light attack in his duel build, combat physician against his build would basically mean you aren't running a 5p.
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, let's stop bringing CP up in this thread, it'll die off. That guy will respond to every single tag and comment. He's even trying to *** lexxy off. Just ignore him.
  • TheDoomsdayMonster
    TheDoomsdayMonster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Subversus wrote: »
    Interesting indeed...

LMAOOOOO

My buddy does an average of 4-7k per light attack in his duel build, combat physician against his build would basically mean you aren't running a 5p.

Oooooo...

Math time!! :)

So on a 4k light attack, we can expect Riposte to reduce its damage by 400 due to diminishing returns....

Wow, at that rate, it would take 11 light attacks in a 6 second span for Riposte to negate more damage than Combat Physician will in an equal time span...

Awesome!!!

:smile:
    Unyeilding Bias
    PSN TheLordofMurder
    PS4 NA
    Magicka Templar
    DC
  • TheDoomsdayMonster
    TheDoomsdayMonster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, let's stop bringing CP up in this thread, it'll die off. That guy will respond to every single tag and comment. He's even trying to *** lexxy off. Just ignore him.

What did I do to make Lexx mad?

All I did was post factual numbers...

If the truth angers him, then you should be calling for him to be ignored opposed to myself...
    Unyeilding Bias
    PSN TheLordofMurder
    PS4 NA
    Magicka Templar
    DC
  • Subversus
    Subversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting indeed...

;)

I think you are the most entertaing poster in 2017.
    Keep going!

Entertaining my ass. He's unable to accept that he's wrong that's it. To summarize him in an analogy, it's like a 70 year old NBA fan would try to argue and convince Mike Jordan that the way he plays ball is right and Jordan has no clue what he's doing.

We play 100% min maxed and theorycrafted builds and then comes this smartass and tries to tell us that there's a set we overlooked while spending weeks optimizing builds to perfection. Dude is delusional.