Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Cheating and Exploits

• hrothbern
    hrothbern
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems to me that ZOS considers true perma bans or long bans of months not as desirable or practical feasible.

Is there no middleground ?

Can we not deport exploiters for a couple of months to a separate Cyrodiil campaign where their AP gain is 10% of normal.

Then they can make there each others life miserable...
    and we can play normal
    perhaps even with a lot of less lag

Edited by hrothbern on June 24, 2016 5:26PM
    "I still do not understand why I followed the advice of Captain Rana to bring the villagers of Bleakrock into safety. We should have fought for our village and not have backed down, with our tail between our legs. Now my home village is in shambles, the houses burning, the invaders feasting.I swear every day to Shor that after Molag Bal has been defeated, I will hunt down the invaders and restore peace in Bleakrock and drink my mead with my friends at the market place".PC-EU
  • Niastissa
    Niastissa
    ✭✭✭
    Don't ban them.

Strip their epic gear from them and their achievements and put the word cheater over their head.
    Edited by Niastissa on June 24, 2016 5:24PM
  • Elsterchen
    Elsterchen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For starters I would really like some sort of: summary of well known bugs that help us players to identify the real information about what is a possible cheat and what is a mere visual bug. ... and contrary to the player based summary solemly concentrating on bugs that are visuals and related to cheating in any way (wrong DoT names, summed dmg etc etc) - hence, anything that gives wrong information to the player and that could be used to evaluate other players behaviour The death recap feg isn't a trustworthy source atm ... but maybe in near future.

@ZOS_GinaBruno, @ZOS_JessicaFolsom ... I know it will be alot of work to keep such a threat up to date and informative ... but may one of the forums community managers might dedicate him/herself to this task?

I feel it would help the whole disscussion alot if we players know how to value the information we receive in game. Adding to it, this might help to reduce false-positive bug reports... as well as false-positive cheat reports.

Please tell us which source of ingame information is trustworthy enough to help you identify cheaters. Screenshoots of death recaps are not trustworthy, neither are videos where alot of performance issues (something a player can not change!) are visible.

Sorry to say it, but I really do not know what information you would like to see / need to identify cheaters.
    Edited by Elsterchen on June 24, 2016 6:47PM
  • mook-eb16_ESO
    mook-eb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Zos wouldn't know a cheater if it was staring them in the face. I see no reason to continue playing
  • neville_bart0s
    neville_bart0s
    ✭✭✭
    id be embarrassed to work for a company like Zenimax.
  • Dubhliam
    Dubhliam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bromburak wrote: »
    How ESO Players feel about their game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4oInT79CUk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9Dg-g7t2l4
    Fixed :smiley:
    Although, they are progressing: we have seen a few posts lately and this thread got pinned.

Not sure what to think of it quite yet, but I am happy to see them break from their silence. Even if we didn't actually learn anything new.

Suffice to say that my eyes are glued to this thread in anticipation of any information regarding this issue.
    And I'm not the only one.
    >>>Detailed Justice System Concept thread<<<
  • ShedsHisTail
    ShedsHisTail
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Recent ESO Live they talked a bit about the cheating issue:
    https://www.twitch.tv/zenimaxonlinestudios/v/74304741

At around the 15 minute mark.

It's not much, but it's an acknowledgement you've all been asking for.
    "As an online discussion of Tamrielic Lore grows longer, the probability of someone blaming a Dragon Break approaches 1." -- Sheds' Law
    Have you seen the Twin Lamps?
  • Semner
    Semner
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for posting that! I actually think @ZOS_JessicaFolsom did a great job telling us exactly what she needed to tell us. Tone is everything. Sounds like cheaters are not going to like what's to come.
  • Laggus
    Laggus
    ✭✭✭✭
    Finally at least its something. Stickied the thread and a mention on ESO Live. Its a start at least of hope. Please keep the momentum up (Devs & players).
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was pleased to hear it actually got brought up Live .
  • ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    Community Manager
    Hi everyone,

We wanted to reiterate here what we said on ESO Live today, for anyone who wasn't able to tune in. We have rolled out additional anti-cheat measures, with more to come. We know everyone in this thread is well aware of this, but we would like to remind all of our players that the use of third party cheat software is grounds for a permanent ban.
    Jessica Folsom
    Associate Director of Community - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Twitch | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube | Support
    Staff Post
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi everyone,

We wanted to reiterate here what we said on ESO Live today, for anyone who wasn't able to tune in. We have rolled out additional anti-cheat measures, with more to come. We know everyone in this thread is well aware of this, but we would like to remind all of our players that the use of third party cheat software is grounds for a permanent ban.

This makes me happy . If I keep seeing results for a consistent amount of time I'll go ahead an resub . I just want to see a decline of this activity in Cyrodiil first .
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi everyone,

That might explain the recent tweets about bans, although one player did tweet a screenshot of their suspension time and I can't say I agree with it.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Mureel
    Mureel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone,

Well it's managed to false positive several players tonight resulting in suspensions and Zero recourse.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/274561/login-servers-down#latest
  • rootimus
    rootimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Niastissa wrote: »
    put the word cheater over their head.

You can't name and shame people - think of their feelings! >:)
    Even on the internet, clear communication is important; it can be the difference between "helping your Uncle Jack off a horse" and "helping your uncle jack off a horse"; the difference between "knowing your s***" and "knowing you're s***".
    Greybeards & Gals - Civilised, laid-back, mature gamers. Beards optional. |
  • ShedsHisTail
    ShedsHisTail
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mureel wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Well it's managed to false positive several players tonight resulting in suspensions and Zero recourse.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/274561/login-servers-down#latest

@Mureel , first let me apologise for my comments in the other thread. It was reactionary and out of line.

Second, and this is SPECULATION, I recall another game I was playing a while back that implemented an anti-cheat patch that banned a whole bunch of people who weren't cheating. It worked through Steam and it detected whether or not you had used this one specific cheating program on any game -ever- and banned everyone who even had it installed on their comp.

Possible something like this is occurring?
    Catching people who aren't cheating in this game, but have cheated in other games?
    "As an online discussion of Tamrielic Lore grows longer, the probability of someone blaming a Dragon Break approaches 1." -- Sheds' Law
  • Mureel
    Mureel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone,

@Mureel , first let me apologise for my comments in the other thread. It was reactionary and out of line.

Second, and this is SPECULATION, I recall another game I was playing a while back that implemented an anti-cheat patch that banned a whole bunch of people who weren't cheating. It worked through Steam and it detected whether or not you had used this one specific cheating program on any game -ever- and banned everyone who even had it installed on their comp.

Catching people who aren't cheating in this game, but have cheated in other games?

For me no because I've never cheated in any (wouldn't know how anyway) and I've never had nor even googled any of the crap i saw in the forums.

I cannot speak for anyone else but since so many were asking if login server is broken I doubt anyone else in that thread but the one who admitted it was either.
  • ShedsHisTail
    ShedsHisTail
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi everyone,

For me no because I've never cheated in any (wouldn't know how anyway) and I've never had nor even googled any of the crap i saw in the forums.

I cannot speak for anyone else but since so many were asking if login server is broken I doubt anyone else in that thread but the one who admitted it was either.

Were you also suspended?
    I thought it was just someone you knew.

I remember in this other game, there were a TON of people who were banned because whatever cheating software it was looking for was really popular and worked with a lot of games; might have even been CE. Lots of people had it just to mess around; like having a Game Genie back in the day. It wasn't like they were all malicious cheaters, just folks who liked messing around in casual one-player games and ended up getting banned from their multi-player game because of it.

So if the cause is something like this, I wouldn't be surprised by a ton of false positives because I've seen it before.
    Edited by ShedsHisTail on June 25, 2016 12:03AM
  • Barbet
    Barbet
    ✭✭
    Thank you very much for pinning this.
    When I stop laughing, I stop playing
  • Mureel
    Mureel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone,

Were you also suspended?

Me and another I know personally, plus a ton of those guys in that thread.

This is my 2nd time over this, the first time the first day they adjusted their cheat thingy, right around DB patch, I'd have to check the date in my emails, but several others were on the same day, and they've already said they see it wasn't my fault before. Then earlier tonight again and again several people same thing Also, what about all those who just write CS and do not go to the forum...so yeah that's all i know.
  • clayandaudrey_ESO
    clayandaudrey_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi everyone,

This is great news @ZOS_JessicaFolsom if you guys will stick to it. I would gladly resub if I see results but I hope that guys are now serious about permanent meaning permanent.

Ok...one admitted cheat engine user in that other thread and only a 72 hour ban is quite disappointing.
    Edited by clayandaudrey_ESO on June 25, 2016 12:31AM
  • ShedsHisTail
    ShedsHisTail
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi everyone,

Were you also suspended?

This is my 2nd time over this, the first time the first day they adjusted their cheat thingy, right around DB patch, I'd have to check the date in my emails, but several others were on the same day, and they've already said they see it wasn't my fault before. Then earlier tonight again and again several people same thing Also, what about all those who just write CS and do not go to the forum...so yeah that's all i know.

Hmm... So it sounds like something is causing you to get repeatedly flagged.
    When you get it resolved this time, see if they'll tell you why you got flagged to begin with.
    Maybe there's something you can do on your end to keep it from happening again next time they beef up security.
  • Mureel
    Mureel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone,

Were you also suspended?

When you get it resolved this time, see if they'll tell you why you got flagged to begin with.
    Maybe there's something you can do on your end to keep it from happening again next time they beef up security.

They did tell me already - that a latency spike made me set off their thingy. It is 2nd time now, and several people were affected - so it's just 'a thing' like the other things.

I just wish I could make it clear for once and all that never would I do this dumb stuff, this is my only recreation indoors, and I don't watch TV and all that so I feel like that they know this has happened they could do something about it.
  • ShedsHisTail
    ShedsHisTail
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi everyone,

Were you also suspended?

They did tell me already - that a latency spike made me set off their thingy. It is 2nd time now, and several people were affected - so it's just 'a thing' like the other things.

I just wish I could make it clear for once and all that never would I do this dumb stuff, this is my only recreation indoors, and I don't watch TV and all that so I feel like that they know this has happened they could do something about it.

Hmm, that sucks.
    Hope they get you back up and running soon.

And again, my apologies.
  • Mureel
    Mureel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone,

Were you also suspended?

Hmm, that sucks.
    Hope they get you back up and running soon.

And again, my apologies.

No worries hun, with the RAMPANT cheating going on everywhere I totally understand the like mistrust and everything.

In 72 hours it will be fine anyway, but at this point, I want a public apology for all of us who had to go through this on a darned weekend. :(

I'm going to make some phone calls next week, and also write to some gaming sites and whoever else may be interested so that if this happens again people know about it.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi everyone,
    @ZOS_JessicaFolsom

Software update rule #1: "Never ever push an update to a live server on a Friday!"

If you guys were working over the weekend (which you aren't) you would have already seen all these posts about people being wrongfully auto banned by your newest "anti-cheat measures".

Monday morning won't be pretty at ZOS ...
    shades.gif

• Egonieser
    Egonieser
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SirAndy wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    @ZOS_JessicaFolsom

Software update rule #1: "Never ever push an update to a live server on a Friday!"

If you guys were working over the weekend (which you aren't) you would have already seen all these posts about people being wrongfully auto banned by your newest "anti-cheat measures".

shades.gif

Oh you bet. My blood is already boiling and the fact it's weekend. I will miss the Cyro vendor, I'll miss TF campaign rewards and weekend playtime with my wife.
    I hope they will have a good explanation for this and 3 days added to my sub, or they will lose yet another subscriber.
    I used to tolerate ZoS and their nonsense for 2+ years, but this is an icing on the cake.

Their new system seems to catch everything but the cheaters.
    Sometimes, I dream about...cheese...

Dermont - v16 Pompous Altmer Sorcerer (With a very arrogant face!)
    Egonieser - v16 Nord Stamina Dragonborn Wannabe
    Endoly - v16 Tiny Redguard Sharpened MaceBlade
    Egosalina - v16 Breton Cheesus Beam Specialist
    Egowen - v16 Dunmer Whipping Expert (Riding crops eluded her)
    (Yes, I had to grind all these to v16)
    Akamanakh - lvl 22 Khajiit GankBlade (Inspired by Top Cat)
    Targos Icewind - lvl 34 Imperial (Future) Jabplar
    (CP 830+)

PC - EU
  • Barbet
    Barbet
    ✭✭
    Hi everyone,

THANK YOU. Guilt by association as well. NICE!! To bad for my friend will miss him this weekend, but I am so stupid happy right now.

Please don't change your mind on this, when you permban a cheater using a third party cheat, make sure its permanent. I believed you last time... Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.
    When I stop laughing, I stop playing
  • LegacyDM
    LegacyDM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Egonieser wrote: »
    SirAndy wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    @ZOS_JessicaFolsom

shades.gif

Oh you bet. My blood is already boiling and the fact it's weekend. I will miss the Cyro vendor, I'll miss TF campaign rewards and weekend playtime with my wife.
    I hope they will have a good explanation for this and 3 days added to my sub, or they will lose yet another subscriber.
    I used to tolerate ZoS and their nonsense for 2+ years, but this is an icing on the cake.

Their new system seems to catch everything but the cheaters.

Zos, better start recalling people in to work the weekend. Pay them overtime or give them work day swap compensation. Ignoring false positives at the expense of your player base after rolling out a new program on production on a Friday is bad business.
    Legacy of Kain
    Vicious Carnage
    ¥ampire Lord of the South
  • Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If you people would just worship the Lich King like you are all supposed too, there would be no issue:)
This discussion has been closed.