Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Cheating and Exploits

• NobleNerd
    NobleNerd
    ✭✭✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »
    ZOS_AlanG wrote: »
    Good morning @ZOS_JessicaFolsom and @ZOS_AlanG. The floor is still yours. We would just like a little update even if it is we are still working on it. The silence is deafening.
    @ZOS_JessicaFolsom

Not a demand, merely a simple request.

Please give some indication that action is being taken other than a prolonged 'investigation'.

Thanking you in anticipation

I can confirm we're still working on the matter, but don't have anything to share at this point.

In all likelihood, when we have news to share we'll lock this thread and create a new one, to ensure the news is present in the opening post.
    I keep thinking about the poor moderator who has zero control over any part of this situation but whose job it is to keep an eye on this thread and filter out rule violations.

Poor guy/gal. Being the only person who actually sees this, seeing so much hate directed at the company you work for and try to support. Going home at night feeling like ***. It's gotta be soul-crushing.
    We appreciate the sentiment, but as moderators we know not to take such things personally. I'll add that we aren't the only ones aware of this thread.
    They're watching! :scream:

Thanks for the update Alan, will be interesting what is said when the time comes.

LOL

I don't know whether to be comforted by that last comment or take it as a threat :pensive:

Glad to see some kind of response from ZOS, might be a little too late _ as the door creaks shut _ fade to black & role credits please!
    BLOOD RAVENS GAMING
    ~a mature gaming community~
    Website
    DISCORD
  • ShedsHisTail
    ShedsHisTail
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bromburak wrote: »
    I am just wondering why Matt Firor doesn't step in when really bad things like this are happening to find some words for the community. When we had massive bot issues after release Matt published a great article a couple weeks later to explain the problems what are they working on, imo it was the best he could have done in that situation.

You know I really love this game and the community but this matter is very bad publicity for ESO and I cannot just watch and wait on a hot topic like cheating when i run a business in this industry. This is the worst thing that can happen in a game.

I'm sure we'll hear from him eventually.
    It's just taking longer than a "couple weeks" this time.
    "As an online discussion of Tamrielic Lore grows longer, the probability of someone blaming a Dragon Break approaches 1." -- Sheds' Law
    Have you seen the Twin Lamps?
  • phbell
    phbell
    ✭✭✭✭
    Khajiit poses a question.

How can someone be so insecure and maladjusted that they feel the need to cheat in a game?

This is not a match of the football, there is no career at stake - the game is something we do to amuse ourselves yes?

So why cheat? You really gain nothing at all. The only gain is a fleeting boost to the ego. Only someone with problems to begin with needs that sort of ego boost.

Yours with puzzled paws
    Santie Claws

These same people no doubt cheat at solitare.
  • Xylphan
    Xylphan
    ✭✭✭✭
    I keep thinking about the poor moderator who has zero control over any part of this situation but whose job it is to keep an eye on this thread and filter out rule violations.

Poor guy/gal. Being the only person who actually sees this, seeing so much hate directed at the company you work for and try to support. Going home at night feeling like ***. It's gotta be soul-crushing.

An old joke: Why don't PR people ride the bus? Because they're always under it. :P

PR people are often used as crap shields because they are the public "face". They're the communicators. When things are fine, PR people are almost invisible. When things go bad, they're the first ones to be tied to the stake.
  • SwaminoNowlino
    SwaminoNowlino
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xylphan wrote: »

An old joke: Why don't PR people ride the bus? Because they're always under it. :P

PR people are often used as crap shields because they are the public "face". They're the communicators. When things are fine, PR people are almost invisible. When things go bad, they're the first ones to be tied to the stake.

Largely correct. But through all the problems that popped up after Gina's leave I think @ZOS_JessicaFolsom has proven herself to be quite the superstar when given the necessary latitude. The downturn in response and interaction with her, as demonstrated by dev tracker, is a bit disappointing but I doubt that's her choice. While I disagreed with some of the mods and their behavior related specifically to this, I have found that MOST of them I have communicated with are just as frustrated as us. Which is all the more disappointing that they are being left out to dry by Matt.
    Xbox NA : CP 160 StamPlar, MagNB, MagSorc, StamSorc, StamDK, StamNB, Level 10 MagDK & MagPlar, StamWarden, MagWarden

"We want firing off Dark Exchange in the middle of combat to feel awesome." - The Balance Lord Wrobel
    - And now it sure does, better learn how to bash folks!

I get by with a little help from logic.
  • ShedsHisTail
    ShedsHisTail
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xylphan wrote: »

Yeah, the place I used to work I was the "PR Guy."
    I eventually got my boss to get me business cards that said, "Scapegoat."
    "As an online discussion of Tamrielic Lore grows longer, the probability of someone blaming a Dragon Break approaches 1." -- Sheds' Law
    Have you seen the Twin Lamps?
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Largely correct. But through all the problems that popped up after Gina's leave I think @ZOS_JessicaFolsom has proven herself to be quite the superstar when given the necessary latitude. The downturn in response and interaction with her, as demonstrated by dev tracker, is a bit disappointing but I doubt that's her choice.

@ZOS_AlanG does most of the heavy lifting right now. Need to send AlanG some Red Bull. :smile:

ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • XDragonDoomX
    XDragonDoomX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good morning @ZOS_JessicaFolsom and @ZOS_AlanG. The floor is still yours. We would just like a little update even if it is we are still working on it. The silence is deafening.
    @ZOS_JessicaFolsom

Please give some indication that action is being taken other than a prolonged 'investigation'.

I can confirm we're still working on the matter, but don't have anything to share at this point.

In all likelihood, when we have news to share we'll lock this thread and create a new one, to ensure the news is present in the opening post.

We appreciate the sentiment, but as moderators we know not to take such things personally. I'll add that we aren't the only ones aware of this thread.

@ZOS_AlanG - thank you at least for this.
    "Forums are like a herd of performing elephants with diarrhea.
    massive, difficult to redirect, awe-inspiring, entertaining, and a source of
    mind-boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect it. ”

(with apologies to Eugene H. Spafford, aka Spaf)

I have the power to please one person per day. Today is not your day.
    Tomorrow... Tomorrow does not look good either.

82. Victory laps after killing the dragon with my 1d2 bow is considered in poor taste.
    83. My gnome does not like big butts and he cannot lie.
    84. Not allowed to talk my fellow inquisitors into buying a 220lb pull crossbow.
    85. Not allowed to talk my fellow inquisitors into buying an industrial strength flamethrower.
    86. Not allowed to make a superhero with a 99% chance of dodging even after the -10 penalty for a successful called shot.
    87. There is no such thing as a dwarven katana.
    88. My bard does not get a bonus to perform if she is obviously not wearing anything under her tabard.
    89. The elf's name is not Legolam.
    ** Mr Glenn's Forbidden activities list**

• Pomaikai
    Pomaikai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bromburak wrote: »
    I am just wondering why Matt Firor doesn't step in when really bad things like this are happening to find some words for the community. When we had massive bot issues after release Matt published a great article a couple weeks later to explain the problems what are they working on, imo it was the best he could have done in that situation.

You know I really love this game and the community but this matter is very bad publicity for ESO and I cannot just watch and wait on a hot topic like cheating when i run a business in this industry. This is the worst thing that can happen in a game.

Sadly the bot issues were never actually dealt with. They just weren't as blatant about it. Keep in mind that Cheat Engine was initially used for botting as early as beta. It never stopped being used for botting either. It just has a spiffy new GUI that makes it incredibly easy to cheat in the game, as well as bot for resources or exp grinding.
    Edited by Pomaikai on June 23, 2016 8:50PM
  • Makkir
    Makkir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Khajiit poses a question.

How can someone be so insecure and maladjusted that they feel the need to cheat in a game?

This is not a match of the football, there is no career at stake - the game is something we do to amuse ourselves yes?

So why cheat? You really gain nothing at all. The only gain is a fleeting boost to the ego. Only someone with problems to begin with needs that sort of ego boost.

Yours with puzzled paws
    Santie Claws

Because their parents are just as young and naive as they are, because they get trophies for being in 8th place, and because they were never spanked as a child.
  • yodased
    yodased
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Something else to note on the they handled bots note, the bot gold farmers also left when population dipped so them being their caused thier own demise.

Sure ZOS did something, but there were way more people dropping off then than there is now. Droves and Droves just turned it off cause of bots
    Tl;dr really weigh the fun you have in game vs the business practices you are supporting.
  • pod88kk
    pod88kk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think a name and shame ban list should be brought in.... Prove someone's cheating, Zos bans them, adds their name and their crime to the list.
    *** bash bosh ends cheating and promotes good old fashioned respectable gameplay
  • Barbet
    Barbet
    ✭✭
    Bet ZoS are regretting deciding to unban the permaban cheaters now. Don't know if there is going to be any coming back from that. Its a damn shame. I don't want to have to find another game to play. It seems like they have until October to figure things out for a lot of us.

Even if this thread gets barred, it wont change my frustration, not until permaban means permaban. If you can unban them you can re-ban them permanently. NO ideal in the world why Zos thought talking to them personally was a good idea, or why they thought unbanning them was justifiable. Should have made an example out of them. I don't need names, just the assurance that I can pvp against people not using a third party cheat. And I can compete against other people not using a third party cheat in getting on top of the leaderboards. I don't even care if they are using broken armour, that is something I can wait for ZoS to fixed, but a third party using cheat? What do you need their money for? Is their money more important then mine? Were they on vacation when it happened? Well ban them for account sharing. I don't care. permaban needs to mean permaban when it comes to using a third party cheat engine.
    When I stop laughing, I stop playing
  • ZOS_GregoryV
    Greetings all,

While we are glad to see the amount of activity occurring within this thread, we would like to inform everyone that "Flaming" other members is in fact a violation of the Community Rules. We have removed quite a bit of flaming rather recently. If this continues, those who feel it necessary to take such a course of action may find a temporary suspension or permanent deactivation of once access to the ESO forums. Thank you for your understanding.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Manpoints
    Manpoints
    ✭✭✭✭
    Grao wrote: »
    Why is it white Knighting when asking why people feel the need to bash? Just as you did to me with your first sentence.

I actually have followed this and the other locked thread I just don't share the same bashing opinions. And don't feel the need to demand answers even though I am a paying customer.

So would you like to bully me some more because I don't share your view, if it makes you feel better go ahead. I don't run with the pack.

While bashing may not be nice, it is borderline illegal to offer such sub par service and customer support. Countries have rules on this matters and law suits have been filed against companies that absolutely fail to deliver on their product's promises.

^ Yes, The ACCC won against SEGA over Aliens Colonial Marines, other companies held to standards in Australia - Valve, Adobe - these are big fish. Australia isn't the only country that has consumer friendly laws when it comes to this.

Edit ** Spelling

Edited by Manpoints on June 24, 2016 2:01AM
    GM of Potato Syndicate, (Gone' Casual) ---- I'MZ A GOD!
    GM of Mi Amor Libre Spanish ERP ---- Shadilay
    Manpoints - Templar // Womanpoints - DK // Abopoints - NB // Manepoints - NB // Sexypoints - Sorc // Hermann Purring - DK // Browniepoints - Templar // Tigger SMB - Templar // Affirmative Actionpoints - DK // Sha Bipoints - Sorc // Hughe Mungus - DK // Rachel Dolezol - Warden??
  • Idinuse
    Idinuse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mike_de wrote: »
    Nénlindë wrote: »
    Nénlindë wrote: »
    I've never seen a single hacker on ESO, I'm on PS4.

And that's why. Consoles don't have easily accessed cheat programs like the PC does.

Oh, so PC is where it's happening. Why don't they just ban them?

You're right. My personal opinion in that matter is, that cheaters in MMOs are the scum of the earth.

Even Valve has figured out, that a timed ban is useless against cheaters. If they come back, the majority of them cheats again. It's a character flaw or sickness. So they implemented their no mercy, no discusion, 1st offender perma VAC ban policy.

Ubisoft has figured out the same thing in their newest game, "The Division". Tried timed bans. They now switch gradually to the same policy as Valve, figuring out the same thing as Valve, that cheaters are cheaters. And will be cheaters.

I think, in MMO games there is a better chance to mend that, as in other multiplayer games: Give the cheaters their own world wide server, and keep them there. One cheat try, and they have to move there, with no chance getting back to the normal crowd.

Problem solved. And not even one customer lost with that solution.

Maintenance only once in a month, because they are not able to complain about anything. Because their hacks could make the game unstable.
    Lava_Croft wrote: »
    @Turelus : Stop paying money to this company.

That is a good start. Canceling the ESO+ membership, and stop buying crowns and writing them, why you canceled your subscription is the only thing a company cares about, and the ONLY valid argument to strengthen your position. They have to act, because their lack of action costs them money.

Agree. I've met them all and I think we all know how their whispers look like. I've met absolutely astounding players that beat me fair and square, they completely outplayed me. My bad, my fault and their amazing skills. We've whispered with mutual agreement and respect for eachother. If anything a fun whisper that can even lead to friendlies.

I know the difference.

(As a side note it does happen every now and then that I'm on the other side, and it's usually still the same respect.)

But the cheaters. Oh god. The insta kills, perma regens, 95% all mitigations... and when 20 of us finally defeat the abominations they can not let a defeat go no matter what.

So keep bashing on us who want a clean and fair game.

It's just so obvious.

TL;DR No cheat!1
    Edited by Idinuse on June 24, 2016 3:20AM
    Sed ut perspiciatis unde omnis iste natus error sit voluptatem accusantium dolorem que laudantium, totam rem aperiam, eaque ipsa quae ab illo inventore veritatis et quasi architecto beatae vitae dicta sunt explicabo. Nemo enim ipsam voluptatem quia voluptas sit aspernatur aut odit aut fugit, sed quia consequuntur magni dolores eos qui ratione voluptatem sequi nesciunt. Neque porro quisquam est, qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non numquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem. Ut enim ad minima veniam, quis nostrum exercitationem ullam corporis suscipit laboriosam, nisi ut aliquid ex ea commodi consequatur? Quis autem vel eum iure reprehenderit qui in ea voluptate velit esse quam nihil molestiae consequatur, vel illum qui dolorem eum fugiat quo voluptas nulla pariatur?
  • Thornen
    Thornen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NobleNerd wrote: »
    @ZOS_JessicaFolsom

Thanks for the update Alan, will be interesting what is said when the time comes.

LOL

I don't know whether to be comforted by that last comment or take it as a threat :pensive:

Glad to see some kind of response from ZOS, might be a little too late _ as the door creaks shut _ fade to black & role credits please!

Lol what update? All they did was open a new thread with the exact same info given as the one they closed due to people bashing zenimax. It's been a week already with no statement and I watched 2 ppl *** fly across the sky yesterday...so yeh
    excuse me if I get mad.

Zenimax either:
    1. Can't fix the issue and choose to remain silent hoping people just move on
    2. Can fix the issue but choose not to because reasons and choose to remain silent hoping people just move on
    3. Just don't care lol buy this new reskin bro...
  • Dral_Shady
    Dral_Shady
    ✭✭✭

Thank you. I hope you have some news soon since the silence so far have been deafening .

Edited by Dral_Shady on June 24, 2016 6:03AM
  • Hempyre
    Hempyre
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ive seen some admitted cheaters back online. I was disappointed to say the least.

I pay my sub, i don't expect to have to put up with known cheaters, no matter how "noble" their intent in lifting the veil on this problem. There are better ways that dont involve advertising the very program that breaks the game...

Perm ban all. End of discussion. I know if I walk away it doesnt change much, other than Im showing "ME" that I value my own time and my own money by choosing not to pay to play a game that endorses this type of action.

Honest players deserve an honest game.
  • GreenhaloX
    GreenhaloX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread is good and should be locked on the top block with the other ZOS threads.. i.e, Game Crashing Issues, ESO Live - Ask Us Anything!.. etc.
  • Bromburak
    Bromburak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How ESO Players feel about their game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4oInT79CUk
    Edited by Bromburak on June 24, 2016 1:36PM
  • NobleNerd
    NobleNerd
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thornen wrote: »
    NobleNerd wrote: »
    @ZOS_JessicaFolsom

LOL

Lol what update? All they did was open a new thread with the exact same info given as the one they closed due to people bashing zenimax. It's been a week already with no statement and I watched 2 ppl *** fly across the sky yesterday...so yeh
    excuse me if I get mad.

Zenimax either:
    1. Can't fix the issue and choose to remain silent hoping people just move on
    2. Can fix the issue but choose not to because reasons and choose to remain silent hoping people just move on
    3. Just don't care lol buy this new reskin bro...

I feel your frustration. For me the answer was to not log into the game anymore. I still check out posts on these forums, talk with my gaming group in Discord and wait, wait....... to see if ZOS actually responds with acceptable solutions to a HUGE issue that very may well ruin the game for many!

Right now I am getting flashbacks of my days in ArcheAge :neutral:
    BLOOD RAVENS GAMING
    ~a mature gaming community~
    Website
    DISCORD
  • bimbo
    bimbo
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest, this is the first and only mmorpg game that does not ban hackers asap.

very frustrating, makes me wonder how many more hackers are out there still.

EP-NB
    > Nightstop
    EP-SORC----> Magestop
  • dennissomb16_ESO
    dennissomb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bimbo wrote: »
    To be honest, this is the first and only mmorpg game that does not ban hackers asap.

very frustrating, makes me wonder how many more hackers are out there still.

Let's be fair. There are worse MMOs and companies when it comes to how they handle cheats, bots etc. Aion comes to mind as one of the worst. Rift started well then completely stopped even pretending to go after bots/hackers etc. That being said what ZOS has going on right now puts them right up there with some of the worst
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm not typing this in on my ps4 screen to follow rules. I heard there is some hack or glitch logging in on multiple machines to duplicate items. Do with it what you will.
  • ZOS_AlanG
    ZOS_AlanG
    admin
    GreenhaloX wrote: »
    This thread is good and should be locked on the top block with the other ZOS threads.. i.e, Game Crashing Issues, ESO Live - Ask Us Anything!.. etc.
    We try to keep the number of pinned threads to a minimum, especially since pinning a thread is often the best way to make something invisible - people get used to skipping past those. However, as activity in this thread has dropped off, and it's no longer reliably on the front page, we've gone ahead and pinned it.
    @ZOS_AlanG does most of the heavy lifting right now. Need to send AlanG some Red Bull. :smile:
    I've mostly quit caffeine, but I appreciate the sentiment!
    Forum Rules | Promoting Constructive Discussion | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Help Site

I’ve moved to a new position and I am no longer active on this forum. For assistance, please check the resources linked above
    Staff Post
  • Zheg
    Zheg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The thread was probably more visible as an unpinned thread. While almost every other topic is allowed to have multiple threads and off topic posts on unrelated threads, when it comes to exploit discussions, our moderators sure have been burning the midnight oil to make sure it doesn't spread beyond this thread. I'm not sure if I'm more impressed or disappointed.
  • SwaminoNowlino
    SwaminoNowlino
    ✭✭✭✭✭

How do you get through the day then? I theorized you did some VMA runs to get the adrenaline flowing every morning and maybe on your lunch break.
    Xbox NA : CP 160 StamPlar, MagNB, MagSorc, StamSorc, StamDK, StamNB, Level 10 MagDK & MagPlar, StamWarden, MagWarden

"We want firing off Dark Exchange in the middle of combat to feel awesome." - The Balance Lord Wrobel
    - And now it sure does, better learn how to bash folks!

I get by with a little help from logic.
  • clayandaudrey_ESO
    clayandaudrey_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    GreenhaloX wrote: »
    We try to keep the number of pinned threads to a minimum, especially since pinning a thread is often the best way to make something invisible - people get used to skipping past those. However, as activity in this thread has dropped off, and it's no longer reliably on the front page, we've gone ahead and pinned it.

So it's just straight whiskey now?
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for pinning this .
This discussion has been closed.