Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Cheating and Exploits

• NativeJoe
    NativeJoe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any system they put in will be automated guys. They said themselves they don't have the budget for ingame GM's.
    The "warden type" monitoring of wow, and the third party program detectors arn't in the budget either. What is in the budget?

They are most likly going to implement exactly what they are doing now... A automated stat detection. Which will "try" to determine your max stats, then temporarily ban you pending actual investigation. In short they don't have the budget to cover all these third party programs so they're implementing a blanket to make sure anything EXTREMELY unfair doesn't occur. unfortunately this means mild tweaks will still be possible~-FOREVER-~because with such a system due to lag spikes, different gear and quest buffs, pvp buffs and other things ... it will have a bit of a margin of error, and small tweaks won't trip the security. They're going to keep pushing the reins back till the settings are comfortable for most users. Whether they perma ban or not isn't the issue to me anymore, it's the fact they literally don't have the budget to police the game, which means all fair players are at a permanent disadvantage as soon as "safe levels of tweaking" are determined on other less reputable forums.

Like wise simple reports won't do any good...You need to

k1T8LDB.gif
    Remember to Stop doing this!
    and...
    go see your local khajiit
    Y2oIV4e.jpg
    And recognize what is and is not cheating, and Back up your claims with video evidence because...
    r0uWXGN.jpg
    Edited by NativeJoe on June 27, 2016 1:57AM
    650cp+ Sorcerer 100+ days /played
    Broken'Stick North American Server
    https://www.twitch.tv/trixytricks
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NativeJoe wrote: »
    Any system they put in will be automated guys. They said themselves they don't have the budget for ingame GM's.
    The "warden type" monitoring of wow, and the third party program detectors arn't in the budget either. What is in the budget?

I don't think they have the budget for automation. I think they just run some SQL queries against their database, probably as part of the Business Intelligence unit, and filter log files.
    ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • LegacyDM
    LegacyDM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Manpoints wrote: »
    My previous post telling hackers to get rekt got removed, guess it hurt feelings.

But yeah, bans went out mainly in certain circles (obvious why)
    They are investigating those temp bans to extend manually (good, and you obviously did something)
    Trying to post up 'false positive' on a game like this doesn't work as there's no anti cheat searching your 8TB computer for hacks that you've never used in this game (only things you did with eso)

I would like to see these bans increase, first round 3 days? Fine, investigate the abusers and make them perm, everyone from this point, perm imo.

Oh really? I extracted The following from someone who was suspended due to a false positive. Here is the correspondence from Zos.

"Greetings,

This is Name Removed from customer support. I have good news! I have spoken with the Terms of Service departement and your account has been reinstated. You are good to login at any moment and continue playing.

I do apologize for the interruption in your game play. It looks like the latency and rubberbanding you described may have triggered some hack triggers we have in place."

You have no idea how the anti-cheat program works. Keep on beating the war drum supporting the witch hunt.
    Legacy of Kain
    Vicious Carnage
    ¥ampire Lord of the South
  • Zoner
    Zoner
    ✭✭✭✭
    LegacyDM wrote: »
    My previous post telling hackers to get rekt got removed, guess it hurt feelings.

They are investigating those temp bans to extend manually (good, and you obviously did something)
    Trying to post up 'false positive' on a game like this doesn't work as there's no anti cheat searching your 8TB computer for hacks that you've never used in this game (only things you did with eso)

I would like to see these bans increase, first round 3 days? Fine, investigate the abusers and make them perm, everyone from this point, perm imo.

Oh really? I extracted The following from someone who was suspended due to a false positive. Here is the correspondence from Zos.

"Greetings,

This is Name Removed from customer support. I have good news! I have spoken with the Terms of Service departement and your account has been reinstated. You are good to login at any moment and continue playing.

I do apologize for the interruption in your game play. It looks like the latency and rubberbanding you described may have triggered some hack triggers we have in place."

You have no idea how the anti-cheat program works. Keep on beating the war drum supporting the witch hunt.

You missed the part where he said permaban after further investigation.
    NA EP
    Seren Vedrano - EP NB
    Geldis Vedrano -EP DK
    Andewen Vedrano - EP Templar
    Swiggity Swag - DC NB
    Vashai The Impotent - AD DK
    Sprints-With-Erect-Spine - EP Templar
    Approved Inoffensive Name - EP Sorc
    Serana Vedrano - EP DK
    Cuckpoints - EP sorc
  • DUTCH_REAPER
    DUTCH_REAPER
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make ESO great again!

Swing that ban hammer ZOS!
  • LegacyDM
    LegacyDM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zoner wrote: »

"Greetings,

And you missed the part where he claims that posting up false positives doesn't work, Like he knows how the anti cheating software works.

Look before we all panic and start making assumptions let's settle down and let Zos sort this out tomorrow.
    Legacy of Kain
    Vicious Carnage
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm still in amazement to this day AAA MMOs with hundreds of millions of dollars in budget still can't stop cheating . I guess it's true money can't buy happiness . lol
  • Zoner
    Zoner
    ✭✭✭✭

"Greetings,

And you missed the part where he claims that posting up false positives doesn't work, Like he knows how the anti cheating software works.

Look before we all panic and start making assumptions let's settle down and let Zos sort this out tomorrow.

I think the point was that actual cheaters are going to scream false positive as well as those who have been given an actual false positive.

I understand it's really frustrating to be given a suspension when you've done nothing wrong but the community has been crying out for something to be done about the hacking for quite a while now, and if this is what Zos is going to give us, flawed as it may be, it's still a step in the right direction.

Those like your friend who were wrongly caught should be released. I think it's a case of cleaning up a few wrongful bans vs letting the hackers run wild
    NA EP
    Seren Vedrano - EP NB
    Geldis Vedrano -EP DK
    Swiggity Swag - DC NB
    Serana Vedrano - EP DK
    Cuckpoints - EP sorc
  • LastAmbushOnEarth
    to people who afraid to be unfairly banned

buy a game in steam
    play not thru steam

every two week refund the money and buy again in steam
    and redeem to the same account

so you will get guarantee in any false ban you can refund the money for base game, at least
    Edited by LastAmbushOnEarth on June 27, 2016 3:16AM
  • LegacyDM
    LegacyDM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm still in amazement to this day AAA MMOs with hundreds of millions of dollars in budget still can't stop cheating . I guess it's true money can't buy happiness . lol

Classic case of security is baked in as an after thought. In any modern software development lifecycle model your taught to integrate security at the beginning of design. When the game was developed Zos could have easily divested money into a purchasing and integrating a punkpuster or designing an in house security stack or making the game completely server side based. Either they knew they were taking a gamble at the risk of cutting corners to save money or it was an oversight. Either way it's costing them now. Its almost like they had scrambled and hobbled together a security detection program without performing adequate testing. It's unfortunate they didn't learn from other mmorpgs that failed due to rampid cheating.

I mean seriously what were they thinking? Ah no one will cheat? Player population won't notice? We can save money? Uh Derp security what's that? with a supposed budget of 200mill I'm pretty sure they could have integrated or designed something at the beginning that works.
    Edited by LegacyDM on June 27, 2016 3:39AM
    Legacy of Kain
    Vicious Carnage
  • Manpoints
    Manpoints
    ✭✭✭✭

Its not a matter of money I dont think, Indie games that started out as mods have better anti-cheat (NS2). Its just a matter of implementation that should have been done before launch, they should've held onto the game for another 5 months before release.
    Make ESO great again!

Yes.

"Greetings,

Umm I think you gotta read more bro of the discussion before jumping in and letting off volleys kid. The sole issue is not just lag induced teleporting. But please prof, educate us more on how this system actually work

To stop making assumptions is a good idea though; like the trust you show in people having a whinge about being banned claiming their innocence. I like how the use of "may" in an email equates to 'all innocent let them go, dont comment on it nothing to see here'.

But as for a witch hunt? I'll sharpen my pitchfork and remember to come back here in a few weeks time to say I told you so.
    GM of Potato Syndicate, (Gone' Casual) ---- I'MZ A GOD!
    GM of Mi Amor Libre Spanish ERP ---- Shadilay
    Manpoints - Templar // Womanpoints - DK // Abopoints - NB // Manepoints - NB // Sexypoints - Sorc // Hermann Purring - DK // Browniepoints - Templar // Tigger SMB - Templar // Affirmative Actionpoints - DK // Sha Bipoints - Sorc // Hughe Mungus - DK // Rachel Dolezol - Warden??
  • Pomaikai
    Pomaikai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mureel wrote: »
    Pomaikai wrote: »
    Wednesday and Thursday were horrible vis-a-vis the unkillables on TF. Last night was actually fun. Sure, I died a lot, but I had a chance.

Yeah the stuff in the thread I mentioned had nothing to do with pvp and mist people weren't even in pvp but got suspensions not bans, for speedhacking for W through a town, using blade of woe, things like that.

These were people somehow filtered by hack thingy and who never expected that hence thought we just had log errors.

This was not any pvp 1v blah or ultimate spam or anything related and I cannot speak for everyone, but I damn sure never used any speed hacks.

Please don't lump us together.

While not trying to lump you together, it's obvious that they also caught some actual cheaters along with false positives. This thread is an all encompassing repository of discussions about cheating and exploiting in the game, and that includes both PVE and PVP. Again today, PVP was exciting and fun, rather than the usual uneven gankfest.
  • Bromburak
    Bromburak
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I am certain it got removed because you were blaming everyone and not hackers ...
    You might should think before you post.

• Pomaikai
    Pomaikai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i googled and i found one answer like a year ago someone posted his email from ZOS:
    . When we receive a botting report, we typically send a Gamemaster in game to witness the behavior and run a few standard tests. These tests confirm whether a specific behavior is automated. If an account is witnessed for botting in game by a Gamemaster, then the account is subject to a 72 hour suspension. If the account continues to violate our Terms of Service by engaging in the botting behavior, the account is suspended again. The third violation results in an account ban.

Except there no longer are any Gamemasters being sent into the game. We all know there should be more of them in the game at all times of the day and night, every day of the week.
  • Mureel
    Mureel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

"Greetings,

That was my letter and the part you missed was free week of eso + and free respec as I missed the cheap respec window.
  • Mureel
    Mureel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Wednesday and Thursday were horrible vis-a-vis the unkillables on TF. Last night was actually fun. Sure, I died a lot, but I had a chance.

Yeah the stuff in the thread I mentioned had nothing to do with pvp and mist people weren't even in pvp but got suspensions not bans, for speedhacking for W through a town, using blade of woe, things like that.

These were people somehow filtered by hack thingy and who never expected that hence thought we just had log errors.

This was not any pvp 1v blah or ultimate spam or anything related and I cannot speak for everyone, but I damn sure never used any speed hacks.

Please don't lump us together.

While not trying to lump you together, it's obvious that they also caught some actual cheaters along with false positives. This thread is an all encompassing repository of discussions about cheating and exploiting in the game, and that includes both PVE and PVP. Again today, PVP was exciting and fun, rather than the usual uneven gankfest.

Yeah I was talking about the other thread where all but one person originally thought they had a login error. :-) Except one guy with leet spelling of banned something or other who said he used to use cheat engine just to see what the fuss was about.
  • Mureel
    Mureel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Its not a matter of money I dont think, Indie games that started out as mods have better anti-cheat (NS2). Its just a matter of implementation that should have been done before launch, they should've held onto the game for another 5 months before release.
    Make ESO great again!

Yes.

"Greetings,

Umm I think you gotta read more bro of the discussion before jumping in and letting off volleys kid. The sole issue is not just lag induced teleporting. But please prof, educate us more on how this system actually work

To stop making assumptions is a good idea though; like the trust you show in people having a whinge about being banned claiming their innocence. I like how the use of "may" in an email equates to 'all innocent let them go, dont comment on it nothing to see here'.

But as for a witch hunt? I'll sharpen my pitchfork and remember to come back here in a few weeks time to say I told you so.

Everything you say just proves that you haven't any idea what is going on. Lol. Teleporting???

No.

Lol.
  • Pomaikai
    Pomaikai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Teleporting to specific coordinates in the game is a standard feature, and was designed for people botting crafting nodes. So is being able to run your crafting bot under the world to avoid detection.

I suggest in the future that you do some Google searches before dismissing things like this out of hand.
  • Mureel
    Mureel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Teleporting to specific coordinates in the game is a standard feature, and was designed for people botting crafting nodes. So is being able to run your crafting bot under the world to avoid detection.

I suggest in the future that you do some Google searches before dismissing things like this out of hand.

Except the 3 pages of people going wtf happened there was no teleporting involved and people weren't talking about botting.

*smh*

I mean you obviously know how to cheat better than I and also why would I google how to cheat or whatever??

I'm just done and over it now. We've reported this whole shenanigans to BBB and we're waiting for mails for CS and going to go from there. As I'm in England I'll also be writing everyone I can find here.

I've got screenshots of the original threads, all my mails from ZOS and all of that.

That a company would dare send out we can't help you because we're too busy emails in itself is just out of order. Search forum for Chet. It's awful.

Finally this is at minimum the third time they've accidentally auto suspended whole swathes of people who did nothing wrong.

All the stuff in this thread is awful but what we were all talking about is not ultimate spam, teleporting, botting and most of us weren't even in pvp, vma or competing in any way.

So just whatever this thread is too crazy and convoluted anyway so I'll be dealing with people who can actually help.
  • Pomaikai
    Pomaikai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Again, you are no longer posting in a thread that is specifically about this one instance. That thread was closed, however wrongly, and you're now posting in the general Cheating and Exploiting thread. Your post lacked context, and you just appeared to be poo-pooing the concept of in-game teleportation via third party software, of which there is in fact more than one besides the better known Cheat Engine. In-game teleportation is absolutely possible via those programs.

As for the notion that this finally stickied thread can and should be co-opted by people who may have been temporarily banned due to a false positive, you'd be sadly mistaken. Feel free to discuss it all you want, but it's far from being the most important thing on our plate, and should you do so, the please provide enough context so we know that you're speaking of a specific part of a specific incident.

Oh, and while the people who posted in that thread, and yes I read them all, all vehemently denied speed hacking, that doesn't mean that other people weren't. Nor does it mean that some of those who were speed hacking weren't teleporting as well.
    Edited by Pomaikai on June 27, 2016 6:15AM
  • Thalmor-Nordmaster
    Thalmor-Nordmaster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zenimax is trying to make the game better. Kudos to them. Their risk management guy Hap. Might want to look into implementing a read only friday.Lots of people got caught up in this auto system. Today in cyrodiil I still saw a few speedy gonzales types. and wall jumpers. though not as many as before.I am going to finish out the trueflame campaign and then take a break for a few weeks and see what has transpired. I could use some pve time and find some sky sparkles.

Personally I think that zenimax put together something really quick and pushed it out. I don't think that the cs department was coordinated with, nor, was weekend time scheduled. The bean counters and overtime and such. Will they learn from this? One would hope so.

@LegacyDM and @SirAndy what sort of time frame would a company zenimax's size with zenimax's architecture be looking at to move from client side to server side?

Sorry, I got away from the business while AS/400 was still the thing.Found better money elsewhere.

Striving for a balanced system and a balanced appeal process should be the end goal.

Clear policy that is not wrapped up in a convoluted TOS should be presented to each and everyone of us.

Casting dispersions and besmirching character should be below us.

@Pomaikai I did see a teleporter today. Low activity area of Cyrodiil and ping was good about 117. It was like blink-blink - blink-gone. I am glad I am not competitive and only there to have fun.I think that level of brazen goofyness is enough to drive the competitive people bonkers.I did find something new though and that is Siege Shield will keep fleas off of Khajiit.I tried another experiment on a cat today with Stalwart Guard and it just went to sleep.

Sparkles for president. Because Cats are smarter than people
    This ad paid for by friends of Sparkles

Edited by Thalmor-Nordmaster on June 27, 2016 7:28AM
  • Tavore1138
    Tavore1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

"Greetings,

I think the point was that actual cheaters are going to scream false positive as well as those who have been given an actual false positive.

I understand it's really frustrating to be given a suspension when you've done nothing wrong but the community has been crying out for something to be done about the hacking for quite a while now, and if this is what Zos is going to give us, flawed as it may be, it's still a step in the right direction.

Those like your friend who were wrongly caught should be released. I think it's a case of cleaning up a few wrongful bans vs letting the hackers run wild

It really isn't a step in the right direction because every time something like this misfires and bans honest players, assuming that is what has happened, it gives further cover to the real cheats to claim that they too are innocent and reduces the credibility of such processes.

Also, as others have pointed out, doing it on a Friday night and then leaving people stranded for the weekend is really bad - we have a change freeze for anything but genuine emergency fixes on the last day of the week just so we don't leave people screwed over the weekend... and that is quite a common practice in IT these days.
    Edited by Tavore1138 on June 27, 2016 7:34AM
    GM - Malazan
    Raid Leader - Hungry Wolves
    Legio Mortuum
  • Zoner
    Zoner
    ✭✭✭✭

"Greetings,

That was my letter and the part you missed was free week of eso + and free respec as I missed the cheap respec window.

Was referring to Manpoints' response, not your letter, must have been a misunderstanding
    NA EP
    Seren Vedrano - EP NB
    Geldis Vedrano -EP DK
    Swiggity Swag - DC NB
    Serana Vedrano - EP DK
    Cuckpoints - EP sorc
  • Zoner
    Zoner
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tavore1138 wrote: »

"Greetings,

It really isn't a step in the right direction because every time something like this misfires and bans honest players, assuming that is what has happened, it gives further cover to the real cheats to claim that they too are innocent and reduces the credibility of such processes.

Also, as others have pointed out, doing it on a Friday night and then leaving people stranded for the weekend is really bad - we have a change freeze for anything but genuine emergency fixes on the last day of the week just so we don't leave people screwed over the weekend... and that is quite a common practice in IT these days.

I agree - every time bans are issued, everybody cries foul, cheaters and innocent alike. This makes it harder for everyone and as a result Zos gets softer - cheaters get off easy. Out of concern for banning innocent players they let most people go, even the ones that deserve to be banned.

Innocent people are banned and cheaters sneak in amongst their ranks and scream injustice along with them.

Zos already had the right approach the first time when they said they permabanned the hackers, but then ruined it all by letting them go - no doubt due to claims of innocence which weren't true.

Zos recompensated from what I saw for the false ban. If it takes extra precautions to wipe out the hacking scourge then I guess it is what it is.
    I do hope they get a better system though
    NA EP
    Seren Vedrano - EP NB
    Geldis Vedrano -EP DK
    Swiggity Swag - DC NB
    Serana Vedrano - EP DK
    Cuckpoints - EP sorc
  • Mureel
    Mureel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Again, you are no longer posting in a thread that is specifically about this one instance. That thread was closed, however wrongly, and you're now posting in the general Cheating and Exploiting thread. Your post lacked context, and you just appeared to be poo-pooing the concept of in-game teleportation via third party software, of which there is in fact more than one besides the better known Cheat Engine. In-game teleportation is absolutely possible via those programs.

As for the notion that this finally stickied thread can and should be co-opted by people who may have been temporarily banned due to a false positive, you'd be sadly mistaken. Feel free to discuss it all you want, but it's far from being the most important thing on our plate, and should you do so, the please provide enough context so we know that you're speaking of a specific part of a specific incident.

Oh, and while the people who posted in that thread, and yes I read them all, all vehemently denied speed hacking, that doesn't mean that other people weren't. Nor does it mean that some of those who were speed hacking weren't teleporting as well.

And 2/3 your post is again saying I'm doing anything I am not.

Look, the FACT is: A hell of a lot LESS people are cheating/hacking/blah blah than who are.

It is not like ALLL hackers and some not.

And as for having to use this thread, you can point at ZOS for that too, because they are the ones who made it like this.

Further, most calmly said they didn't do anything, not vehemently.

*So Much Drama and STRONG WORDS for little things always* here.
  • LastAmbushOnEarth
    and what to do ppl who live in EU region? there is no call support of ZOS
    another lack of customer service

in the region where actually MORE players of TESO located

just look to the number of pvp campaigns for example
    Edited by LastAmbushOnEarth on June 27, 2016 8:28AM
  • Thornen
    Thornen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So still no official statement on why people are getting unbanned, or why speedhacking only results in a 72 hour ban...or if CE still works with the game (wich it does) etc etc.... They really just want us to forget about the whole thing it seems.
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yet smaller companies like CCP Games whilst not removing all cheating/exploiting/RMT have a good handle on it and run systems more advanced that the AAA companies and maintain better communication. :confused:
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • purple-magicb16_ESO
    purple-magicb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Specific hacks/exploits/cheats should be outlined in forum along with their consequences and then link this in the newsletter and send to everyone in big bold red letters. Reminders should be posted from time to time right in game (as your logging in just like how the crown store pop up happens). Then they can take a harder stance on exploits.

Discussion regarding individual accounts should never happen. I'm not an exploiter (not smart/tech savvy enuff 4 that-lol!) but it just makes sense since a banned player could come back on them if his/her account was discussed with others violating confidentiality.
    I don't comment here often but when I do, I get [snip]
  • Manpoints
    Manpoints
    ✭✭✭✭
    Specific hacks/exploits/cheats should be outlined in forum along with their consequences and then link this in the newsletter and send to everyone in big bold red letters. Reminders should be posted from time to time right in game (as your logging in just like how the crown store pop up happens). Then they can take a harder stance on exploits.

Discussion regarding individual accounts should never happen. I'm not an exploiter (not smart/tech savvy enuff 4 that-lol!) but it just makes sense since a banned player could come back on them if his/her account was discussed with others violating confidentiality.

Needing to provide a road map on exploits maybe, but on hacks and the use of 3rd party programs - I doubt not one person who uses those sorts of things is ignorant to the fact its against TC's. I think a perma ban for both, instantly and without discussion of appeal for hacking and the same for exploits but only when ridden hard and knowingly abused.
    GM of Potato Syndicate, (Gone' Casual) ---- I'MZ A GOD!
    GM of Mi Amor Libre Spanish ERP ---- Shadilay
    Manpoints - Templar // Womanpoints - DK // Abopoints - NB // Manepoints - NB // Sexypoints - Sorc // Hermann Purring - DK // Browniepoints - Templar // Tigger SMB - Templar // Affirmative Actionpoints - DK // Sha Bipoints - Sorc // Hughe Mungus - DK // Rachel Dolezol - Warden??
This discussion has been closed.