Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Cheating and Exploits

• Grao
    Grao
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why is it white Knighting when asking why people feel the need to bash? Just as you did to me with your first sentence.

I actually have followed this and the other locked thread I just don't share the same bashing opinions. And don't feel the need to demand answers even though I am a paying customer.

So would you like to bully me some more because I don't share your view, if it makes you feel better go ahead. I don't run with the pack.

While bashing may not be nice, it is borderline illegal to offer such sub par service and customer support. Countries have rules on this matters and law suits have been filed against companies that absolutely fail to deliver on their product's promises.

That we can't even get a proper answer from Zenimax is ridiculous, they won't even send out warnings to the community on what is considered an exploited and how they intend to punish such behavior. That coupled with their inability to deal with the hack engines and those using them causes considerable frustration to players / consumers, top that with their absolute lack of transparency and... Maybe some bashing is well earned.
  • dagonbeer
    dagonbeer
    ✭✭✭
    If you bash, make sure you're pointed at the right direction.

It's higher levels of management that can release the information that we want, they are the ones who can allocate the resources necessary to combat cheating.

Focusing our ire at hardworking programmers and forum mods is not constructive.
  • Grao
    Grao
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dagonbeer wrote: »
    If you bash, make sure you're pointed at the right direction.

It's higher levels of management that can release the information that we want, they are the ones who can allocate the resources necessary to combat cheating.

Focusing our ire at hardworking programmers and forum mods is not constructive.

It is part of said Forum Administrators and Mods to take our considerable ire to the pertinent people as we don't have any access to them and never, ever get a response directly from them. As I said, bashing may not be nice, but sometimes it is the only thing that gets a company to move. Lots of public bashing, not only on this forums but other social medias and financial loses.

Also, Zenimax's programmers were made aware of the bugs with gap closers right away when DB went to the PTS. They failed to fix the problem in time for release and then together with management, chose to release the skill bugged creating an world of problems in PvP. They are far from innocent here.
    Edited by Grao on June 22, 2016 6:29PM
  • dagonbeer
    dagonbeer
    ✭✭✭
    Grao wrote: »
    Also, Zenimax's programmers were made aware of the bugs with gap closers right away when DB went to the PTS. They failed to fix the problem in time for release and then together with management, chose to release the skill bugged creating an world of problems in PvP. They are far from innocent here.

I take it you don't work in the software industry. It's not usually up to the programmers what gets released and what gets pushed back.
  • Grao
    Grao
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I take it you don't work in the software industry. It's not usually up to the programmers what gets released and what gets pushed back.

Actually, that is precisely what I work with. If me and my team ever allowed a known bug into the system of the industries we coordinate we'd be fired on the spot. ^^
    I do agree management is most at fault here, but their programmers had a version of this abilities that was not causing this particular bug. If they couldn't fix the problem with the new version of the ability in time, they should have rolled back the ability to a previous version.
  • dagonbeer
    dagonbeer
    ✭✭✭

Actually, that is precisely what I work with. If me and my team ever allowed a known bug into the system of the industries we coordinate we'd be fired on the spot. ^^
    I do agree management is most at fault here, but their programmers had a version of this abilities that was not causing this particular bug. If they couldn't fix the problem with the new version of the ability in time, they should have rolled back the ability to a previous version.

Yeah, but that's again up to management. They saw the change, they saw the bug reports, they made the call to ship it as is. Wherever you work obviously made stability and reliability the number one priority. We all know that's not the case in the game industry :/
  • Ackwalan
    Ackwalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_DaryaK wrote: »
    We've removed a few comments that were irrelevant to the topic if this discussion.

Speaking of the topic of this discussion, when is ZOS going to update and address what happened.

• Pomaikai
    Pomaikai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ackwalan wrote: »
    We've removed a few comments that were irrelevant to the topic if this discussion.

Speaking of the topic of this discussion, when is ZOS going to update and address what happened.

Quite obviously, never.
  • Solid_Metal
    Solid_Metal
    ✭✭✭✭

we can only wait....and hope
    "i will walk through the fog, as i welcome death"
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    First, I'm sorry you guys (the moderation team) are getting as much hate as you are. Some people take video games way too seriously.

That being said, who should I be mad at for all of this? Who has the final decision in whether or not somebody is banned, or if their ban is repealed?

I can think of two people on EP NA (won't give any more details as I'm not allowed to) alone that were blatantly hacking. It's not a matter of "oh, they killed me in Cyro or got a higher score than me in Maelstrom so they must be cheating!" These people did things that are literally impossible unless you're hacking, like spamming ultimates or getting a score that is literally impossible. Both of them were banned, and both of their bans were repealed. Why? Why even have rules if you won't stick to them? Realistically speaking, what's the incentive for me to not exploit or hack? It's not like I'll lose my account or anything.

well exactly this I do not get, that what is the reason of why a hacker should get a second chance. hacking is a criminal act as general. it is the most highest violation of the code of conduit, so why should anyone who deliberately hacks the game server should be unbanned. not even one more chance, no mercy, adios.
  • dagonbeer
    dagonbeer
    ✭✭✭
    altemriel wrote: »
    well exactly this I do not get, that what is the reason of why a hacker should get a second chance. hacking is a criminal act as general. it is the most highest violation of the code of conduit, so why should anyone who deliberately hacks the game server should be unbanned. not even one more chance, no mercy, adios.

The only reason I can think of is that their anti cheat tools are completely lacking at the moment, so in many(most?) instances they are unable to actually verify that they are cheating from logs. So in cases that they can't verify, they'd rather unban than punish a possibly innocent player.

This also explains their silence on the matter. To elaborate on the above is to expose their inability to detect cheaters, emboldening them further. However, I imagine some transparency at this stage is better than the appearance of apathy, in terms of deterrence.
  • Xylphan
    Xylphan
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why is it white Knighting when asking why people feel the need to bash? Just as you did to me with your first sentence.

I actually have followed this and the other locked thread I just don't share the same bashing opinions. And don't feel the need to demand answers even though I am a paying customer.

So would you like to bully me some more because I don't share your view, if it makes you feel better go ahead. I don't run with the pack.

Nice try playing the victim, but I didn't bash you. You came off as not having read the threads by just broad-stroking everyone as venomous bashers, then asking the rhetorical question of why they would bother responding to this thread when it was specifically stated that this is the only thread allowed for discussing the topic without getting locked/deleted/banned/etc.

Most people don't like paying for broken things. You apparently don't have an issue with that. That's fine, but since you don't really have a dog in this fight, why do you care?
  • Alurria
    Alurria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xylphan wrote: »

Nice try playing the victim, but I didn't bash you. You came off as not having read the threads by just broad-stroking everyone as venomous bashers, then asking the rhetorical question of why they would bother responding to this thread when it was specifically stated that this is the only thread allowed for discussing the topic without getting locked/deleted/banned/etc.

Most people don't like paying for broken things. You apparently don't have an issue with that. That's fine, but since you don't really have a dog in this fight, why do you care?

Arguing with you doesn't really further your demand for answers that apparently are not forth coming. If you think I don't care that there are cheaters in game then you would be wrong. But I'm not going to demand, banning, or taking items or any of the other things people have stated should happen because frankly it's not my business that is ZOS decision. If you go back to my original post I said 'some people' not all. But you know this is irrelevant, because I just can't get myself that worked up over a video game. Something you may want to think about, when prioritizing life, MMOs are only a hobby for me.

When and if you finally get a response I seriously doubt some of the people here will be satisfied. Yes I stand by the venom comment. So I'm a white knight if that makes you feel vindicated in dismissing my opinion then I will wear that label with pride.
  • Tavore1138
    Tavore1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Arguing with you doesn't really further your demand for answers that apparently are not forth coming. If you think I don't care that there are cheaters in game then you would be wrong. But I'm not going to demand, banning, or taking items or any of the other things people have stated should happen because frankly it's not my business that is ZOS decision. If you go back to my original post I said 'some people' not all. But you know this is irrelevant, because I just can't get myself that worked up over a video game. Something you may want to think about, when prioritizing life, MMOs are only a hobby for me.

When and if you finally get a response I seriously doubt some of the people here will be satisfied. Yes I stand by the venom comment. So I'm a white knight if that makes you feel vindicated in dismissing my opinion then I will wear that label with pride.

I have a number of hobbies and where competition is involved then I expect rules to be enforced... doesn't matter if it is gaming online, gaming offline or a sport.

It is very much our business what ZOS do or do not do about it because it tells us if this is an honest game or not. Whether it is worth spending money on subs or dlc or crowns.

I think that not getting invested in your hobbies is a little sad for you and I am sorry you don't get enough pleasure out of playing to feel invested in whether your hobby is 'clean'.

I'll be honest and say I suspect your motives are not to further this discussion but to sidetrack it into a little argument to feed your own whatever but... Not my call...
    GM - Malazan
    Raid Leader - Hungry Wolves
    Legio Mortuum
  • NobleNerd
    NobleNerd
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tavore1138 wrote: »

I have a number of hobbies and where competition is involved then I expect rules to be enforced... doesn't matter if it is gaming online, gaming offline or a sport.

It is very much our business what ZOS do or do not do about it because it tells us if this is an honest game or not. Whether it is worth spending money on subs or dlc or crowns.

I think that not getting invested in your hobbies is a little sad for you and I am sorry you don't get enough pleasure out of playing to feel invested in whether your hobby is 'clean'.

I'll be honest and say I suspect your motives are not to further this discussion but to sidetrack it into a little argument to feed your own whatever but... Not my call...

This is what is was thinking while catching up on the posts... I would also add it is a thing called principles and integrity.... of which seems to be lost on ZOS right now. After playing DB PTS I was looking forward to rebuilding the guild and getting back into Cyrodiil again, but after this mess and the way it has been handled many of my gaming community has decided to just go back to WoW where at least things work and we can have fun PvPing!
    BLOOD RAVENS GAMING
    ~a mature gaming community~
    Website
    DISCORD
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NobleNerd wrote: »

This is what is was thinking while catching up on the posts... I would also add it is a thing called principles and integrity.... of which seems to be lost on ZOS right now. After playing DB PTS I was looking forward to rebuilding the guild and getting back into Cyrodiil again, but after this mess and the way it has been handled many of my gaming community has decided to just go back to WoW where at least things work and we can have fun PvPing!

This is like the 3rd time of heard of groups leaving in mass back to other games . Totally sucks but I get why .
  • clayandaudrey_ESO
    clayandaudrey_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is like the 3rd time of heard of groups leaving in mass back to other games . Totally sucks but I get why .

I don't plan on leaving but I have stopped my sub and will not step foot back in Cyrodiil until ZOS can fix the confidence problem I have with them. It would only take a little communication from them to start that process but it is severely lacking. It just sucks that it seems to be driving some people away. Just not enough to matter I guess.
  • Thornen
    Thornen
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Can you blame them. Only reason I'm still around is waiting for my ESO+ time to runout so I at least feel I got my moneys worth.
  • Grao
    Grao
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Have to level those awesome Demon Hunters. I have to say, Legion tempts to dust off my WoW account, it is cheaper to maintain, servers are by far more stable and PvP is fairer, not to mention less laggy. A pity the world doesn't look as appealing, but having just watched the movie, it did make me feel quite nostalgic.

Gamers will fluctuate to the better games. WoW had a couple of weak expansions, but a new one is dropping and it does look interesting... I think ESO may suffer quite a bit once Legion is released, specially if all this ridiculous bugs with PvP persist. It is a pity, ESO has great potential, I wish a competent company had been put in the head of the project.
    Edited by Grao on June 23, 2016 3:04AM
  • Pomaikai
    Pomaikai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I started playing Project Gorgon today. It's in alpha, and is a indie developer without a big budget, but it's really interesting how things are tying themselves together. Polished it may not be, at least not yet, but it's unique and different, and it's been fun so far.

I'll log in to ESO at some point today to mess with my traders and maybe pop into Cyrodiil again to see if it's worth playing tonight, but my hopes are low. I fear the cheaters and exploiters are in charge now, and that they have won.

What a waste...
  • Ackwalan
    Ackwalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When will ZOS have an update on this?
  • KhajiitiLizard
    KhajiitiLizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When will ZOS have an update on this?

When the Deadlands freeze over.
  • Bromburak
    Bromburak
    ✭✭✭✭✭

ZOS is relaxed, only hardcore gamers play during summer. ;-)
    Edited by Bromburak on June 23, 2016 6:04AM
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thornen wrote: »

Can you blame them. Only reason I'm still around is waiting for my ESO+ time to runout so I at least feel I got my moneys worth.

I don't blame any player that has met their limits . Everyone paid to be entertained and when that no longer exists , for any reason but especially cheats , it's expected .
  • NobleNerd
    NobleNerd
    ✭✭✭✭

Have to level those awesome Demon Hunters. I have to say, Legion tempts to dust off my WoW account, it is cheaper to maintain, servers are by far more stable and PvP is fairer, not to mention less laggy. A pity the world doesn't look as appealing, but having just watched the movie, it did make me feel quite nostalgic.

Gamers will fluctuate to the better games. WoW had a couple of weak expansions, but a new one is dropping and it does look interesting... I think ESO may suffer quite a bit once Legion is released, specially if all this ridiculous bugs with PvP persist. It is a pity, ESO has great potential, I wish a competent company had been put in the head of the project.

You said it in less words than me... player will fluctuate to better games... WoW has always been the better game!
    BLOOD RAVENS GAMING
    ~a mature gaming community~
    Website
    DISCORD
  • Tavore1138
    Tavore1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Bromburak wrote: »

ZOS is relaxed, only hardcore gamers play during summer. ;-)

You may have a point, they certainly seem to be very laid back about things simply announcing the next DLC and hoping the fuss goes away.

I'm subbed until October so like many others will wait and see what they do and either maintain or dump my sub at that point.

A little more directly on topic.... Spellbreaker EU is pretty much turning on exploiting now, my guild uses the old fashioned siege method of taking keeps and while we do that the players on the other side simply exploit into keeps, kill the NPCs, siege it to 50% from inside and flip the flags. It becomes incredibly pointless trying to win the map in those circumstances. Many videos have been taken and submitted over the last few weeks - to date the starts of these videos are still playing and exploiting.
    GM - Malazan
    Raid Leader - Hungry Wolves
    Legio Mortuum
  • Dral_Shady
    Dral_Shady
    ✭✭✭
    TBH this makes me wonder if I should invest more time (and money as an ESO+ customer) in this game.
    We cant get any info from Zenimax and we dont even know if their anti cheating method works but by all accounts they do not since they apparantly need observations from other users to detect hacks. Whats worse is that without any explanation people gets unbanned again. Its this lack of customer relations that seriousily makes me wonder if its worth it anymore.
  • Lava_Croft
    Lava_Croft
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you want any kind of meaningful competitiveness, it's best to just leave ESO.
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dral_Shady wrote: »
    TBH this makes me wonder if I should invest more time (and money as an ESO+ customer) in this game.
    We cant get any info from Zenimax and we dont even know if their anti cheating method works but by all accounts they do not since they apparantly need observations from other users to detect hacks. Whats worse is that without any explanation people gets unbanned again. Its this lack of customer relations that seriousily makes me wonder if its worth it anymore.
    To date I have been subbed since day one (now on six month cycles) and purchased every single limited time mount as well as other Crown Store items which interested me. I think last count in the thread about it was £480ish.

However now I am seriously wondering if I should spend more or just stop. Don't get me wrong I love this game, I love the ZOS staff, but I don't feel happy supporting the game whilst this issue is still hanging over it.

When Jessica announced permanent bans for player caught using the CE I though we finally after two years saw the turn around we needed in how strict ZOS were.
    Coming off the back of the survey exploit my faith in ZOS was low but I soldiered on playing and dumped more money into the game, then when the CE issues arose I watched closely and as said above was overwhelmed with joy at the announcement ZOS took fast and strict action with talk of an update statement about what was happening and continued focus on stopping cheating.

That faith quickly fell apart when the promised update turned out to be a post from Jessica without much information (I was expecting Matt to make a blog post stating a firm stand against cheating in ESO) and then three weeks later that strict punishment was not really very strict at all.

At this point I don't care about who is and isn't permabanned. I just want to know what ZOS' policy is, see better information on what is and isn't declared an exploit and better handling of incidents (or a promise for changes in how it's done).

I don't want to be disadvantaged again because I actually follow their ToS whilst people who abuse exploits get temp bans but keep their rewards. If ZOS would just state that "accounts we take action against have had gains from this exploit removed" I would be a happy chappy.

Right now there is no reason I can see that when the next survey style exploit comes around for people with no marks on their account to not simply farm it, take the temp ban the come back and enjoy the materials/gold gained.

Again though I feel I am preaching to the choir with this one. Hopefully ZOS will make a statement or acknowledge some points soon.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe I am naive, but I don't believe in hacks and cheats in an MMO.
    I am playing since Beta and I have never seen anything odd, besides bugs and exploits.
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.

My debut album on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@Gleandra/videos
This discussion has been closed.