Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Confirmed Memory Leak in 1.1.2

• edu.journeymanub17_ESO
    If you're currently experiencing a memory leak, could you please let us know if you're running any add-ons (plus the names) and if you're running any game enhancement software or anything graphics related (such as screen recording software). Thanks!

Not a single add-on, not a single game enhancement software and not a single graphics related software (that is not drive that is) here.

Vanilla ESO.

BTW, never used any add-on and I don't plan to use.

Windows Vista 64 SP2
    4GB RAM
    ATI Radeon HD 6670

Playing with FULLSCREEN (as default after the patch) gets me freeze/crash in less than 5 minutes, changing to FULLSCREEN (WINDOWED) allows me to play for 20-30 minutes and I have to quit and restart.

Not a single other program running on background but windows and AVG. Not even the browser.

Note that I was able to play for hours and hours with this same hardware/software without a single issue prior to 1.0.7 patch, when the problems started and got worst to the point of being unplayable after Craglorn.

Vista is a minimum spec and recommended is win 7 and win 8 re:

"Yes. The Elder Scrolls Online will run on PCs that use Windows Vista 32-bit or 64-bit as their operating systems. Our minimum system requirements start at Windows XP, and our recommended requirements use Windows 7 and 8. Vista falls in between them and is supported."

I personally would point a finger at vista long before eso. Vista sucks, sorry. Btw if you have V shield on in your avg it's a serious issue and is entirely unecessary. I never run the background thing in avg because it's a serious memory hog. If I were you I'd find a way to assign full priority to eso so nothing can steal memory from it. I'd also get off vista.

It seems you didn't read the note: I was able to play the game (ESO) for hours and hours without a single crash/freeze prior to patch 1.0.7 with this exact same hardware and software.

I can still play several other games, be it MMO or solo, including some of Bethesda's jewels without any issue, in fact, I just got my 3 accounts of EVE to work again at the same time in this same computer just to be sure I was not hunting the wrong witch.

It's ESO and I hope they fix it just because I love this game as much as the next guy and I'm not being able to play it.
  • Night_Watch
    Night_Watch
    ✭✭✭
    Hey all,

I've not read the full thread to date but can see the memory leak seems to effect some and not others. I have just got back home and only had the game on for a few minutes to check something! Will keep an eye out for the issue - thanks for the heads up.
    "If there is an underlying oneness of all things, it does not matter where we begin, whether with stars, or laws of supply and demand, or frogs, or Napoleon Bonaparte. One measures a circle, beginning anywhere."

Charles Fort - Lo! (1931)
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No memory problems observed after running the game for at least 4 hours.

Win8.1 8GB of RAM SSD for game and OS
  • Vendersleigh
    Vendersleigh
    ✭✭✭
    Checked. No addons.
    All you people who say they have no add ons, double check and make sure you don't still have the Survey add on that they had when the game started.

It would be in the Documents>Elder Scrolls Online> live> AddOns

It doesn't always show in your list of add ons in the game.

Checked. No addons

I think in this case it might be your box.

Your previous post said:

Radeon(tm) HD Graphics 1.60 GHz

I'm not that all familiar with Radeon so I looked that up. Not finding anything. What series is your Radeon HD, and is the 1.60 GHz your proc? Because if so that could be it right there, your box is just not powerful enough to handle the game engine.

Processor: AMD a8-4555M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics 1.60GHz is what it says under System.

The game worked fine until the patch. Occasional crashes, once every other day or so but not crashes like now; then I was able to restart the game immediately, whereas now the whole computer locks up and there is nothing I have found that works other than turning the power off.
    Now what happens is that around 3 hours after playing characters turn pinky/purple then I crash or if I try to switch alts a lot (to sort inventory), I crash.

Edited by Vendersleigh on May 23, 2014 5:53PM
  • Valanos
    Valanos
    Soul Shriven
    Tested and confirmed.
    My ram gets eaten up, please fix memory leak asap.
    ESO is useless in this condition, eso was better before patch.
    I do not use any AddOns for eso, Vanilla all the way.

No eso on me this weekend:(
    Edited by Valanos on May 23, 2014 7:46PM
  • Sidney
    Sidney
    ✭✭✭✭
    Could also post some dxdiag logs for those of you with issues.
    >.<_____/
    If you want me to read a post aimed at me, please put @Sidney.
    Please give us tail armor and dyeable tail ribbons.
    Click Here -->Support Dyeable Tail Ribbons<---
    All your mats r belong to Khajiit.
    Click Here -->Support Tail Armor<---
  • FireKat
    FireKat
    Confirmed here as well.
    I never had any issues with the game until this patch. No lag, never crashed.
    Since the new patch - My game crashed 5 times in an hour (4 of those crashes took my PC with it) Others in my guild are reporting the same issues (game stuttering, crashing, extremely low fps). I have an almost constant 4fps no matter where I am or what I am doing in game. I have tried both with and without add-ons - same result. I can play for about 10-15 minutes before it takes down my PC.

Pleaseeee fix this Zenimax. I love this game and I was super excited to play with all the new content ):
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone noticed if they get the mem leak in Fullscreen or Maximised? And if it gets better switching?
  • Brother_Numsie
    Brother_Numsie
    ✭✭✭
    Checked. No addons.
    All you people who say they have no add ons, double check and make sure you don't still have the Survey add on that they had when the game started.

It would be in the Documents>Elder Scrolls Online> live> AddOns

It doesn't always show in your list of add ons in the game.

Checked. No addons

I think in this case it might be your box.

Your previous post said:

Radeon(tm) HD Graphics 1.60 GHz

I'm not that all familiar with Radeon so I looked that up. Not finding anything. What series is your Radeon HD, and is the 1.60 GHz your proc? Because if so that could be it right there, your box is just not powerful enough to handle the game engine.

Processor: AMD a8-4555M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics 1.60GHz is what it says under System.

The game worked fine until the patch. Occasional crashes, once every other day or so but not crashes like now; then I was able to restart the game immediately, whereas now the whole computer locks up and there is nothing I have found that works other than turning the power off.
    Now what happens is that around 3 hours after playing characters turn pinky/purple then I crash or if I try to switch alts a lot (to sort inventory), I crash.

That Pinky/purple is your graphics card getting ready to take a jump, happened with my last card. Sorry that sucks.
  • Phaedryn
    Phaedryn
    ✭✭✭
    Calgrissom wrote: »
    Last Night we found this. It seemed the guys who used Windows 8 Had the memory leak but windows 7 users I talked to did not including my self. Can any windows 7 users here confirm if they had this leak.

Windows 7 Pro (x64) user here. Can confirm that something is allocating ram, at least on my system. I video captured about 15 minutes of the task manager showing eso.exe eating ~200 kb/s while it was idling at the login screen.
  • Soella
    Soella
    ✭✭✭✭
    Memory used grows from roughly 2 GB to 5 GB in 15-20 minutes if I AFK in city. When I am in less popopulated areas grow is significantly slower, I can play about hour without a crash.

If I close launcher, memory seems to be eaten slower, though cannot say it for sure.

I run a few addons, turning all of them off does not affect affect growing speed.

Switching graphics setting from Ultra to minimum sometimes decrease memory used significantly, but leak continue anyway with same speed. Sometimes switching does not decrease memory used.

A few times (out of 20-30) rezoning (even going into the house) caused significant memory drop, but not always.

We have 3 installations of ESO, seems only 2 are affected - running under Windows 7 with Radeon video card. Application under Windows 8 seems to be OK.
    Edited by Soella on May 23, 2014 6:06PM
  • Merenwen_812
    Merenwen_812
    ✭✭✭
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    AMD A-10-6900K @4.3
    NVIDIA GTX 650
    10 GB

Loaded Launcher and it was 113 MB
    hit play and stayed on the login screen...
    12:44 PM CDT 168 MB
    12:54 PM CDT 286.6 and climbing..
    1:08 PM CDT 463.2 still climbing...
    will return in an hour.
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Hey guys, we have identified the cause of the memory leak that some of you are experiencing, and are working on a fix. It is not related to addons or graphics enhancement programs. We’ll keep you updated. In the meantime, one thing that can help is if you do not spend a lot of time hanging out on the character select screen. Thanks again for your help earlier!
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • FireKat
    FireKat
    Hey guys, we have identified the cause of the memory leak that some of you are experiencing, and are working on a fix. It is not related to addons or graphics enhancement programs. We’ll keep you updated. In the meantime, one thing that can help is if you do not spend a lot of time hanging out on the character select screen. Thanks again for your help earlier!

Thanks!
  • joshisanonymous
    joshisanonymous
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you're currently experiencing a memory leak, could you please let us know if you're running any add-ons (plus the names) and if you're running any game enhancement software or anything graphics related (such as screen recording software). Thanks!

I have a couple very basic addons installed, but they've all been disabled since the patch. I am running absolutely nothing else in the background. No voice chat programs, no recording software, nothing. I've tried playing in the new fullscreen mode and the old windowed fullscreen and the game becomes unplayable within about 5-10 minutes either way. I think I had this problem before as well, but it happened after playing for maybe 5 hours, and even then was not nearly as game-breaking as it is now.
    Edited by joshisanonymous on May 23, 2014 6:15PM
    Fedrals / EP / Dunmer Nightblade

• Zershar_Vemod
    Zershar_Vemod
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you very much for all of this communication.

I would like to add though - I spend virtually no time of the character selection screen. This issue just seems to be an inevitable countdown at the moment.

* Also, having the game in the new, "true" Fullscreen might be adding to some problems.
    Edited by Zershar_Vemod on May 23, 2014 6:16PM
    House Nyssara (NA)
    Black Market Traders
    Order of the Lamp Post
    Thorn Brigade
    VR15 Nightblade Vampire
  • wllstrt75b14_ESO
    wllstrt75b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Kingslayer wrote: »
    I work software development You haven't documented anything stop talking twoddle. post your specs and the documentation you have then please. Until then the bug is not confirmed.

OMG!!! Then probably you're not very good at what you do :grinning:

Maybe he works at Zenimax then lmao..

Memory leak confirmed here, staying the game to long creates tons of memory issues that lead to graphical issues and other very bad things :)
    Edited by wllstrt75b14_ESO on May 23, 2014 6:16PM
  • Sunbite
    Sunbite
    Problem here too. Fairly old rig but was fine before the patch. Now 2 crashes (everything just freezes - nothing works so I need to totally reboot) since downloading the patch about 4 hours ago.
    I checked my RAM usage when I noticed someone mention it in zone chat and it was at it's limit just before it crashed for the 2nd time. It was eso.exe using the majority and it was just going up and up.
    Please fix this :(
  • Vendersleigh
    Vendersleigh
    ✭✭✭

Thank you for the quick communication.
    Good to hear there is a fix in the works.
  • Bhakura
    Bhakura
    ✭✭✭✭
    With all this talk of leaking i suddenly feel the need to go to the bathroom.
  • Anath_Q
    Anath_Q
    ✭✭✭✭

Thank you for the update!
    Edited by Anath_Q on May 23, 2014 6:24PM
    | GM Cheesemongers of Nirn |
  • Merenwen_812
    Merenwen_812
    ✭✭✭

thanks for the info about have found where the leak is. I generally don't stay on login/character screen long and can only play an hour or 2 at a time so no crashes as of yet xD
  • edu.journeymanub17_ESO

That is what I want to hear from you guys/gals!

Keep the good work and don't forget to stay on touch with us :smile:
  • dolmen
    dolmen
    ✭✭✭
    dolmen wrote: »
    dolmen wrote: »
    @ZOS_GinaBruno - been monitoring my system while playing today because of this thread.

CPU: Intell i5
    Mem: 8G

Using Add-Ons: zRMiniMap and Simple Clock, both enabled.

Started the game via the Launcher, logged into my main char. Shutdown the Launch once I was in.

Been up and playing since aprox. 9:00 CT. Doing a node collection run. Going AFK at times to deal with RL.

Memory usage did climb at the start of today's play session but has leveled off at 1.45G for eso.exe at this time.

So far, it does not appear to me that the Mem usage is constantly climbing.

Hope this helps.

@ZOS_GinaBruno - Mem usage for eso.exe is up to 1.66G at this time.
    You may have problem here.

@ZOS_GinaBruno - Mem usage for eso.exe is up to 1.76G at this time.
    Glad to see you have found the issue.

Logged off - All Mem in use by eso.exe returned to the available pool.

Have a good weekend, eat some Blue Crab for me :)

The Sidekick Order
  • theyancey
    theyancey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I posted my memory leak tests from this morning in another thread: http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/100987/memory-leak-in-new-1-1-2-patch#latest
  • Vannor
    Vannor
    ✭✭
    SDZald wrote: »

Only here in America we take out jobs seriously. Being that I have worked in IT for the last 40 years I speak from experience, I have even worked Christmas day. When system problems impact our biz there is no off time until such problem are resolved.

Here in the UK we take family seriously. Being that I worked in IT for 20 years I speak from experience, I never worked Christmas Day. I never missed a Christmas or child or partner's birthday. When system problems impact my family life, family wins. Life's too short to put someone else's business above my personal life.
  • cicondab16_ESO
    cicondab16_ESO
    Soul Shriven

same problem here, i crashed 5 time today, everytime after 30/40 min, i checked the task manager and eso.exe*32 was around 3.8 GB ram and in the last crash I was forced to turn off my pc manually because the process did not close even the task manager

my pc setup is:
    windows 7 64 bit service pack 1
    ati radeon 7870 HD
    intel i7 2600 3.40 GHz
    8 GB ram
    no addon and no enhancement graphic program

ps: i also checked the launcher had the same problem, and the process "awesomiumprocess.exe" in the game client folder was running around 1 GB ram

• Silverblade
    Silverblade
    ✭✭

Thank you. Hotfix today please?
    Unsubbed.
    You have 4 days of game time remaining.
  • zoetaz1616
    zoetaz1616
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the quick communication. Just want to tell you good luck, we are all counting on you, even the biscuit head in Cyrodiil last night that kept running into me and dying over and over again in the same exact spot.
  • Omnevolus
    Omnevolus
    ✭✭✭
    Neither, but my wife and I both are still experiencing the leak on different rigs.