The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Confirmed Memory Leak in 1.1.2

• onlinegamer1
    onlinegamer1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread is full of people who have no idea what a memory leak is. So far, no one has tested correctly or shown any actual evidence of a memory leak. Anything smaller than a 3 hour sample size is pointless.

Memory usage up to 4GB is well within normal.

Please stop wasting Zen's time by making unfounded claims.

I believe that I gave people with no software development experience permission to stop posting stuff like this earlier in the thread.

You should take the opportunity.
  • Brother_Numsie
    Brother_Numsie
    ✭✭✭
    Ok here we go:

Windows 7 Home Prem.
    i7-2600k CPU @3.4
    NVIDIA GTX 780
    16.0 GB mem.

UI Mods using Minion:

Advanced Filters
    Crafting Material Level Display
    ESOTheater
    Harven's Experience Notify
    Harven's Provisioning Tooltips
    Photographer
    Show Motifs
    SkyShards
    Sous Chef
    Undiscovered
    YssEquipmentIndicator

Without using launcher at login:

210,000 KB 10:35
    392,000 KB 10:45
    511,000 KB 10:55
    629,000 KB 11:05

At this point I launched Minion to check and see what Mods I had. Noticed three needed updating, updated them.

Playing game:

1,024,000 KB 11:10
    1,116,000 KB 11:20
    1,146,000 KB 11:30
    1,179,000 KB 11:40

I then decided log out restart to login and test again.

Relog after update apps login screen:

217,000 KB 11:45
    347,000 KB 11:55
    273,000 KB 12:05
    236,000 KB 12:15

I would like to note on this last test it fluctuated more wildly, even though it looks to be going down, in fact between 12:05 and 12:15 it went as far up as 376,000 KB.

Also of note on the last test two more mods identified themselves as needing an up date. Have not updated them as of yet.

Edit:
    All the tests except the last one showed a steady rate of increase (did not fluctuate up and down). Only the last test fluctuated.

Edited by Brother_Numsie on May 23, 2014 4:47PM
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its been doing this to me to some degree since the last two betas before launch. :/

4gb ram total and I cant upgrade for a while.
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Calgrissom wrote: »
    Last Night we found this. It seemed the guys who used Windows 8 Had the memory leak but windows 7 users I talked to did not including my self. Can any windows 7 users here confirm if they had this leak.

I use windows 7 x64.
  • MyForumName
    MyForumName
    ✭✭
    I don't have a memory leak and the game runs 80 percent nicer since true full screen and vsync were fixed in this last patch. I'm curious, for those of you that discovered a memory leak while waiting on the login and or char select screen. Why do you wait there? I'm quite a bit older then most of you and I've always made it a habit for 15 years or more to never hover on log in screens for any programs because it makes no sense to keep a system at the ready state eternally. I should either be in a program or out of it. This has been a natural instinct as natural as closing a door in winter and being in or out but not in the doorway with the door open.

So you [not me] apparently have a memory leak if you wait at the login/char select screen. Seems to me to be a simple logic not to wait there? Log in or shut down. What purpose does waiting there serve other then to look at the pretty graph indicating a leak.

I'd like to mention that I've actually found eso gets faster the longer I run it and I've had no problems keeping it running for many hours without ever failing, in fact it gets faster and smoother over time.
  • Zershar_Vemod
    Zershar_Vemod
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread is full of people who have no idea what a memory leak is. So far, no one has tested correctly or shown any actual evidence of a memory leak. Anything smaller than a 3 hour sample size is pointless.

I believe that I gave people with no software development experience permission to stop posting stuff like this earlier in the thread.

You should take the opportunity.

He's only been here 4 days too haha.
    House Nyssara (NA)
    Black Market Traders
    Order of the Lamp Post
    Thorn Brigade
    VR15 Nightblade Vampire
  • dolmen
    dolmen
    ✭✭✭
    dolmen wrote: »
    @ZOS_GinaBruno - been monitoring my system while playing today because of this thread.

CPU: Intell i5
    Mem: 8G

Using Add-Ons: zRMiniMap and Simple Clock, both enabled.

Started the game via the Launcher, logged into my main char. Shutdown the Launch once I was in.

Been up and playing since aprox. 9:00 CT. Doing a node collection run. Going AFK at times to deal with RL.

Memory usage did climb at the start of today's play session but has leveled off at 1.45G for eso.exe at this time.

So far, it does not appear to me that the Mem usage is constantly climbing.

Hope this helps.

@ZOS_GinaBruno - Mem usage for eso.exe is up to 1.66G at this time.
    You may have problem here.
    The Sidekick Order
  • Sidney
    Sidney
    ✭✭✭✭
    I will test as well when I am home.
    >.<_____/
    If you want me to read a post aimed at me, please put @Sidney.
    Please give us tail armor and dyeable tail ribbons.
    Click Here -->Support Dyeable Tail Ribbons<---
    All your mats r belong to Khajiit.
    Click Here -->Support Tail Armor<---
  • KhajiitiLizard
    KhajiitiLizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MrBeatDown wrote: »
    No, they are busy increasing the dps of all magicka casting aoe characters.

you know they nerfed all AoEs and hit Impulse and Broken Talons, right?

I used pulsar (impulse morph) with my level 47 sorcerer alt yesterday and it was still very effective. It uses more magicka but I can still spam it thanks to having a large pool of magicka. lol

Though about the memory leak, yeah I have been seeing performance issues. Lag was pretty bad after patch, and the whole VR difficulty just made me quit playing for the day.
    Edited by KhajiitiLizard on May 23, 2014 4:44PM
  • immodium
    immodium
    Before I test my system how much memory should ESO be using?

• Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're currently experiencing a memory leak, could you please let us know if you're running any add-ons (plus the names) and if you're running any game enhancement software or anything graphics related (such as screen recording software). Thanks!

No addons.

Only graphics related anything Im running is MSI Afterburner and performance doesnt change regardless of it on or off.
  • edu.journeymanub17_ESO
    If you're currently experiencing a memory leak, could you please let us know if you're running any add-ons (plus the names) and if you're running any game enhancement software or anything graphics related (such as screen recording software). Thanks!

Not a single add-on, not a single game enhancement software and not a single graphics related software (that is not drive that is) here.

Vanilla ESO.

BTW, never used any add-on and I don't plan to use.

Windows Vista 64 SP2
    4GB RAM
    ATI Radeon HD 6670

Playing with FULLSCREEN (as default after the patch) gets me freeze/crash in less than 5 minutes, changing to FULLSCREEN (WINDOWED) allows me to play for 20-30 minutes and I have to quit and restart.

Not a single other program running on background but windows and AVG. Not even the browser.

Note that I was able to play for hours and hours with this same hardware/software without a single issue prior to 1.0.7 patch, when the problems started and got worst to the point of being unplayable after Craglorn.
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not saying there isn't a memory leak here but ...

Point 1: If the problem occurs at the login screen then, surely, the bug is in the launcher, not the game. Besides, why are you waiting at the login screen - get logged-in and kill something to vent your anger!

Point 2:
    I noticed this too. If you leave the game for any period, even if not on the login screen but on the character selection screen, it does start to use more memory. I have 12GB of RAM and had to shut the game down after half an hour AFK because according to Windows 8.1 it was using too much memory and needed to be restarted.

Does this mean that the inactivity timer is also broken? If I ever go AFK for 30 mins i get booted!

I close the launcher manually after hitting Play.

Its not the launcher.
  • wraith808
    wraith808
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, all. Passed along this information and are continuing to investigate.

Just wanted to say, thank you for the level of communication that you've shown in this thread. We want a good game and we want to believe in the dev team... and this level of communication does help in that regard.
    Quasim ibn-Muhammad - VR 12 Redguard Dragon Knight
    Taladriel Vanima - VR 5 Altmer Nightblade
    Ambalyo iyo Bogaadin - VR 1 Redguard Sorceror
  • Flayedalive

I can't get past an hour without the game coming to a halt. The screen goes black and I have to wait at least 15 minutes before I see the desktop. I can only assume it crashed. Whilst I was testing this I had the resource monitor open and memory usage climbed all the way up to 95% before my screen went black. Never in any other games or before 1.1.2 was my memory usage this high.
  • MyForumName
    MyForumName
    ✭✭

Not a single add-on, not a single game enhancement software and not a single graphics related software (that is not drive that is) here.

Vanilla ESO.

Windows Vista 64 SP2
    4GB RAM
    ATI Radeon HD 6670

Playing with FULLSCREEN (as default after the patch) gets me freeze/crash in less than 5 minutes, changing to FULLSCREEN (WINDOWED) allows me to play for 20-30 minutes and I have to quit and restart.

Not a single other program running on background but windows and AVG. Not even the browser.

Note that I was able to play for hours and hours with this same hardware/software without a single issue prior to 1.0.7 patch, when the problems started and got worst to the point of being unplayable after Craglorn.

Vista is a minimum spec and recommended is win 7 and win 8 re:

"Yes. The Elder Scrolls Online will run on PCs that use Windows Vista 32-bit or 64-bit as their operating systems. Our minimum system requirements start at Windows XP, and our recommended requirements use Windows 7 and 8. Vista falls in between them and is supported."

I personally would point a finger at vista long before eso. Vista sucks, sorry. Btw if you have V shield on in your avg it's a serious issue and is entirely unecessary. I never run the background thing in avg because it's a serious memory hog. If I were you I'd find a way to assign full priority to eso so nothing can steal memory from it. I'd also get off vista.
  • Thorntongue
    Thorntongue
    ✭✭✭
    niocwy wrote: »

It's too bad that these people have to face the ire of paying customers. It's their job though. It's just too bad that they have to put out the fires that the morons that develop this game make.
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭

With a game that requires only 2gb it shouldnt be using more than that on lower settings. It barely touches my 1gb VRAM.

And I run for 10h days :p
  • MyForumName
    MyForumName
    ✭✭
    niocwy wrote: »

It's too bad that these people have to face the ire of paying customers. It's their job though. It's just too bad that they have to put out the fires that the morons that develop this game make.

Although I understand what you are saying why is that too bad? I'm assuming they get paid and they knew what they were getting into. I'm also assuming if it wasn't worth the money they'd quit. I don't tend to feel sorry for people that are paid for the task at hand. In this case it's front man for eso forum complaints and problems. What's sad is that people cannot control themselves or speak civilly and love to point fingers and it's NEVER their machine. At my age I'd say about 92 percent of the time someone says it's not their machine it actually is. I'm alsto often shocked just how clueless forum people claiming to be software engineers actually are.

None of these posts about a memory leak even belong in general chat. There is a forum for things like that. I'm more surprised the thread wasn't moved then anything else.

• Gwarok
    Gwarok
    ✭✭✭
    The response to the ticket I submitted:

"Thank you for contacting The Elder Scrolls Online, sera. I am sorry that your computer is experiencing a memory leak right now. I apologize for the frustration and inconvenience this has caused.
    The causes for virtual memory depletion are numerous. The two most common causes are below.
    1.) When dealing with bare minimum virtual memory(512MB) for running The Elder Scrolls Online, running any other program that uses any ammount of virtual memory will cause your computers virtual memory to deplete itself, using it all up in order to run the game. This causes a bleeding effect in your virtual memory which will cause the game to crash.
    2.) When running a very powerful computer and trying to do a Crossfire/SLI setup; because the system has so much virtual memory that it will scramble the high ammount of virtual memory which causes the same type of virtual memory bleed.
    These are the two corresponding solutions to the causes.
    1.) In a system with low virtual memory, it is recommended that the player only run The Elder Scrolls Online so that all the virtual memory is used to sustain its' stability during gameplay. This is accomplished by the player making sure there are no VoIP services, browsers, music players/streamers, or any other such program running actively or in the background.
    2.) For very powerful systems, to disable this feature, simply open the NVIDIA Control Panel and select 3D Settings. Click on the 3D Settings tab in the upper menu bar. Finally, select do not use SLI technology.
    If you still have problems, please contact me. Again, thank you for taking the time out of your day to contact us."

Hopefully this will help others deal with this memory leak problem.

And THANK YOU @ZOS for the awesomely speedy response... Date Created: 05/23/2014 12:43 PM
    Date Last Updated: 05/23/2014 12:49 PM... to my ticket.
    Edited by Gwarok on May 23, 2014 5:12PM
    "Strive for balance of all things. When the scales tip to one side or the other, someone or somethings gets short-changed. When someone gets short-changed, unpredictability and strife unbalance the world around us...To achieve freedom from greed, from want, and from strife, all parties in any exchange MUST find balance." -House Hlaalu's Philosophy of Trade

"I am ALWAYS very busy, so I KNOW what's best. You need to stay away from the waterfall. TRUST ME, you're better off keeping busy than playing in the stream....Do you know how to swim, Little Scrib?"

"I am but a simple farmer". -Rags'nar LodesBroke

#SKOOMA!

(Juliet):
    ...it is nor hand, nor foot,
    Nor arm, nor face, nor any other part
    Belonging to a man.
    O, be some other name!
    What's in a name?
    That which we call a rose?
    By any other name would smell as sweet.
    Retain that dear perfection to which he owes...
    (Act II, Scene II -William Shakespeare's: Romeo & Juliet -1595 A.D.)

• eobethb14_ESO
    eobethb14_ESO
    ✭✭

Vanilla ESO.

Windows Vista 64 SP2
    4GB RAM
    ATI Radeon HD 6670

Vista is a minimum spec and recommended is win 7 and win 8 re:

"Yes. The Elder Scrolls Online will run on PCs that use Windows Vista 32-bit or 64-bit as their operating systems. Our minimum system requirements start at Windows XP, and our recommended requirements use Windows 7 and 8. Vista falls in between them and is supported."

I personally would point a finger at vista long before eso. Vista sucks, sorry. Btw if you have V shield on in your avg it's a serious issue and is entirely unecessary. I never run the background thing in avg because it's a serious memory hog. If I were you I'd find a way to assign full priority to eso so nothing can steal memory from it. I'd also get off vista.

I also have Vista and have the same experience. But since nothing charged but the patch and I was able to play for many hours without issue before the patch, why is it suddenly a VIsta issue?

No addons - no PC changes

pre-patch no problems on minimum settings

Now, crashes after about 45 minutes or so....
  • Tuttebel
    Tuttebel
    ✭✭✭
    I've had the game open for about an hour atm. Nothing special going on at my end.
    Eso.exe doesn't seem to leak on my system.
    I even powered down my virtual boxes for this test.

35ldx1i.png

System
    I7-4770K @ 3.50Ghz
    Nvidia Geforce GTX-770
    32 Gb ram

Win 7 Ultimate
    Also, I have no addons running but that shouldn't matter since I haven't even logged in yet ...
    "lex parsimoniae"
  • charliewhiskey
    charliewhiskey
    Soul Shriven
    Confirmed on my Windows 7 machine as well.
  • Aaron_Spellcaster
    Yup , massive memoryleak here. Client close to 2 gigabyte before crash.
    Terran is a term used to refer to a hypothetical progenitor race that colonized New Eden prior to the collapse of the EVE Gate. Little is known about this race, though they left numerous artifacts across the cluster, including old stargates and the EVE Gate itself.
  • tsvetan.dimitrov76cub18_ESO
    I'm sure the leak is part of a secret plan to get the game rid of bots :smiley:
  • syphergt
    syphergt
    Soul Shriven
    Just throwing my $0.02 in here...first of all I don't claim to be any kind of computer expert. After reading this tread and doing what people said by staying at the login screen and watching the process, I did see it steadily increasing. However, I exited and restarted the launcher, loaded the game and immediately logged in. After that I closed the launcher and just sat my Main in a VR1 zone. After I opened Task Manager, my ESO.exe memory stayed consistently at 860-890mb for over an hour.

I have had the crashes and some lag between my attacks and spells since the new patch, but I've had crashes since launch.
  • Brother_Numsie
    Brother_Numsie
    ✭✭✭
    All you people who say they have no add ons, double check and make sure you don't still have the Survey add on that they had when the game started.

It would be in the Documents>Elder Scrolls Online> live> AddOns

It doesn't always show in your list of add ons in the game.

• Vendersleigh
    Vendersleigh
    ✭✭✭
    Checked. No addons.
    All you people who say they have no add ons, double check and make sure you don't still have the Survey add on that they had when the game started.

Checked. No addons
  • Cutekhaos
    Cutekhaos
    ✭✭✭
    I am so happy that some of you are not having this issue, but five pages of a problem that has been occurring since beta needs to be looked at. Please refrain from enlightening us with your internet knowledge and play your memory leak free game, thanks.

Windows 7

i5-2700, 16GB, EVGA Nvidia 760 4G

EVGA Precision X

Add-ons

Advanced Filters
    ESOhead
    FTC
    HarvestMap
    Inventory Grid View
    Inventory Item Borders
    Research Assistant
    Skyshards
    Wykkyd's Framework
    Wykkyd's Quest Tracker
    ZrMinimap

The issue occurs with or without the Launcher, while my game won't crash it will start to lock up periodically after about 2 hours of play time.
    Edited by Cutekhaos on May 23, 2014 5:35PM
  • Brother_Numsie
    Brother_Numsie
    ✭✭✭
    Checked. No addons.

Checked. No addons

I think in this case it might be your box.

Your previous post said:

Radeon(tm) HD Graphics 1.60 GHz

I'm not that all familiar with Radeon so I looked that up. Not finding anything. What series is your Radeon HD, and is the 1.60 GHz your proc? Because if so that could be it right there, your box is just not powerful enough to handle the game engine.