The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Confirmed Memory Leak in 1.1.2

• tigerblood
    tigerblood
    ✭✭
    Anyone try the OpenGL fix?
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Hey everyone, just a quick update -

We're currently testing the memory leak fix, and plan to roll out the hotfix this afternoon.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Kaelis33
    Kaelis33
    ✭✭
    tigerblood wrote: »
    First I used the CleanMem app. It helped smooth out the sluggishness and hard crashes but ESO would eventually insist on shutting down from leaking memory.

Now I'm trying this and it works!

From gameskinny.com
    http://www.gameskinny.com/qc95m/elder-scrolls-online-a-guide-to-fixing-common-issues-bugs
    ===================================
    Crash After Pressing Play
    I've gotten a few comments about this one. Whenever the user presses the Play button, the game unexpectedly crashes and an error message pops up. Theros_9946 was good enough to post a solution:

Try editing the UserSettings.txt. (The default location for that would be My Documents/The Elder Scrolls Online/Live)
    Open UserSettings.txt in Notepad and then locate the string SET GraphicsDriver.7 "D3D11" and change "D3D11" to "OpenGL" (You can hit Ctrl + F and paste in SET GraphicsDriver.7 to find the string easier.)
    After you've made that change Save and close Notepad and try launching the game again.
    =====================================

This OPENGL works-for-me. I had a horrible leak with my PC locking down more than once.

Yes cleanmem works I have been trying to tell people to use this, It keep the system from krapping out at the very least.
  • elorei
    elorei
    ✭✭✭

We're currently testing the memory leak fix, and plan to roll out the hotfix this afternoon.

Excellent news, thanks.
  • Mortuum
    Mortuum
    ✭✭✭✭

Thx Gina and rest of the team.
  • Nephin
    Nephin
    ✭✭

Thank you! :)
  • Silverblade
    Silverblade
    ✭✭

Thank you. This is what we needed to hear.
    Unsubbed.
    You have 4 days of game time remaining.
  • Mortuum
    Mortuum
    ✭✭✭✭
    See all those who cried ''no communication''? They do work on stuff, and it is better if they spend their time doing that instead of posting here ''sorry still nothing'' every min...
  • Mendra
    Mendra
    ✭✭
    Yes the "eso.exe" is leaking.

Yes the laucher and the add-ons help it since they consume memory, that's logical.

Without you just gain some free memory, so it buy you some time.

Whatever you have a lot of memory, few process running - including the launcher - you have in the best case few dozen minutes to play before it freezes.

I'm talking about the ones who have the leak of course.

I go from 800MB of memory when i launch the game to 2.5 GB when the freezes begin .

If i wait until it begin to freez, i can't kill the "eso.exe" process, it seem that it have issue relaesing the memory... maybe it's a known fact about memory leaks, maybe not.

It's an issue in two way for people like me :

1/ I can't play more than a few dozen minutes until i have to reboot the game/ computer.

2/ During the time i play the game progressivly have more and more lag, i loose fight, i am frustrated angry and all.

It's not like a quest i could find a way to complete, a bugged achivement i know i can go further and come back later or some random thing people cry or being emotional about.

This is not about how we use your software, this is about how your software runs in our computer.

That should be the staff priority and i think it is

EDIT : Just Saw your post Gina during making mine ^^, so thank for keeping us updated

Edited by Mendra on May 24, 2014 5:49PM
  • elorei
    elorei
    ✭✭✭
    Mortuum wrote: »
    See all those who cried ''no communication''? They do work on stuff, and it is better if they spend their time doing that instead of posting here ''sorry still nothing'' every min...

Gina does not fix it. She talks to us. It is not like she took time away from coding the fix to come post for us. The day they have that happening is probably the death knell for the company. (not to be taken as a slam on your coding ability, Gina, you might be the boss of programming for all I know.)

And please, understand I am not blaming her for the lack of communication. She most likely is not even ALLOWED to tell us anything until someone else gives her the go ahead. That is where my problem lies, the upper echelons of management tying our community liaisons' hands.
  • Kaelis33
    Kaelis33
    ✭✭
    download and install cleanmem to stop lhard lockups. Still having to exit game to get performance back. But its doable. The computer is not affected and its an easy reboot the game.
  • DrOrpheus
    DrOrpheus
    ✭✭
    I thought it went away after the vr hotfix since it let me play longer, but still after about an hour i noticed the same issues popping up again and shortly after i would have to restart.
  • DeadByNow
    DeadByNow
    ✭✭✭

Can you fix Templars also with the hot fix?
  • Mendra
    Mendra
    ✭✭
    elorei wrote: »

Gina does not fix it. She talks to us. It is not like she took time away from coding the fix to come post for us. The day they have that happening is probably the death knell for the company. (not to be taken as a slam on your coding ability, Gina, you might be the boss of programming for all I know.)

And please, understand I am not blaming her for the lack of communication. She most likely is not even ALLOWED to tell us anything until someone else gives her the go ahead. That is where my problem lies, the upper echelons of management tying our community liaisons' hands.

Yes she talk to us, it's her job.

Yes it's what we need : we need to know that they care about.

We don't know their source code, and we are not senior develloper, so even if they came to explain us what is really happening it won't change a thing in the end. It would be just lost time for them and so for us.

Because again we just need to know that they care about and working on it, and since they are professional let just them do their work.
  • Mortuum
    Mortuum
    ✭✭✭✭
    elorei wrote: »

I know she doesnt fix it, but many people complained about not a word from Zeni and my point was-will it be better if she ran to other room asking every 5 minutes and then posting it here? They/she said they know about it, and working on it-but obviously for some people it is not enough, they have to QQ ''we want news!!''.

• Kaelis33
    Kaelis33
    ✭✭
    Well I want to know what is causing it...because not EVERYONE is affected...but LOTS are. Maybe they are too embarrassed and shamed to post why...I don't know.

But for me it's interesting to know so I can troubleshoot in the future on my own.
  • Zershar_Vemod
    Zershar_Vemod
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Good to hear.
    House Nyssara (NA)
    Black Market Traders
    Order of the Lamp Post
    Thorn Brigade
    VR15 Nightblade Vampire
  • Catman14
    Catman14
    ✭✭
    If my monthly payment was delayed for a couple of days and I said to ZOS, "don't worry about it, I know what the problem is and I'm on it", do you think they would be happy with that response? Of course they wouldn't and my account would be locked and I wouldn't be able to play.

It's not unreasonable to expect some regular updates on issues like this and I don't think I owe them anything except courtesy because they have taken my money and should be providing me with a game that works.
  • Mendra
    Mendra
    ✭✭
    Kaelis33 wrote: »
    Well I want to know what is causing it...because not EVERYONE is affected...but LOTS are. Maybe they are too embarrassed and shamed to post why...I don't know.

But for me it's interesting to know so I can troubleshoot in the future on my own.

If it's in their code, it's probably copyrighted lol for obvious reason.

Not "everyone affected" doen't mean that you are able to troubleshout it yourself, even with explaination.

And their priority is not to teach you how to troubleshout a memory leak, but to make it work as soon as possible.

How IT ppl sees regular ones enjoy !

• torplin
    torplin
    Soul Shriven
    I know she doesnt fix it, but many people complained about not a word from Zeni and my point was-will it be better if she ran to other room asking every 5 minutes and then posting it here? They/she said they know about it, and working on it-but obviously for some people it is not enough, they have to QQ ''we want news!!''.

Considering some obviously broken issues like the batswarm bug which allowed 1 player to fight 30 enemy players and win went unacknowledged for weeks and unresolved for months, along with a myriad of other issues that have gone ignored for months, you can hardly blame people (aka PAYING CUSTOMERS) from wanting more timely updates/news on issues. No, its not Gina's fault, and her hands are probably tied from above, but the overall lackadaisical approach to dealing with the community and the communication to the community is simply atrocious. People (aka PAYING CUSTOMERS) are rightfully getting fed up with all of it, and ignoring this (or haplessly disregarding it as "QQ") is a recipe for further disaster.
    Edited by torplin on May 24, 2014 6:11PM
  • Mortuum
    Mortuum
    ✭✭✭✭
    Catman14 wrote: »
    If my monthly payment was delayed for a couple of days and I said to ZOS, "don't worry about it, I know what the problem is and I'm on it", do you think they would be happy with that response? Of course they wouldn't and my account would be locked and I wouldn't be able to play.

It's not unreasonable to expect some regular updates on issues like this and I don't think I owe them anything except courtesy because they have taken my money and should be providing me with a game that works.

Giving any ETA in situation like that will only cause more chaos and problems, imagine all rage if they say 2 hours and then have to change it to 3 or 4 hours...

And yes, it is unreasonable, would you like something like that maybe:
    1 hour we work on it
    2 hours we still work on it
    3 hours eeeee ye...we work on it...still
    38 hours ...so...we work on it...you know

Instead they did way better:we know about it, thank you for reports, and then: we know what is wrong now(we found bug/reason), and then:we have fix testing it now.
    Anything else except those 3 pieces of info is waste of time, for all, coders, devs, and Gina.
  • SinisterJoint
    SinisterJoint
    ✭✭✭
    [Moderator Note: Edited per our rules on Flaming]
    Edited by ZOS_ShannonM on May 24, 2014 9:58PM
  • methjester
    methjester
    ✭✭✭

Yessir. It's been 48+ hours since the patch and between the vet level buff and the memory leak there have been a whopping 2 posts of communication. The other issues have brought nothing but silence.

Some people can't play, some lost their will to play. I would hardly call two posts good communications.

If you guys need a good communications slash PR guy, I have an impeccable resume.
    Edited by methjester on May 24, 2014 6:15PM
  • Kaelis33
    Kaelis33
    ✭✭
    Mendra wrote: »
    Kaelis33 wrote: »

If it's in their code, it's probably copyrighted lol for obvious reason.

Not "everyone affected" doen't mean that you are able to troubleshout it yourself, even with explaination.

And their priority is not to teach you how to troubleshout a memory leak, but to make it work as soon as possible.

How IT ppl sees regular ones enjoy !

Really I don't care about their priorities. For starters I can't play the game, so If I can alleviate my issues with the game somehow I'd like to do just that. Especially if some people do not have these issues.

And quite frankly you don't know my background in programming or what I am capable of. If you had some background yourself you might realize its not THAT complicated to understand.

And I don't recall asking anyone to TEACH me about how to troubleshoot memory leaks, I do however want to play the game and would like to know what is going on so I can avoid it.

I am sorry I found your post to be a bit ridiculous.
  • ShintaiDK
    ShintaiDK
    ✭✭✭
    methjester wrote: »

Yessir. It's been 48+ hours since the patch and between the vet level buff and the memory leak there have been a whopping 2 posts of communication. The other issues have brought nothing but silence.

Some people can't play, some lost their will to play. I would hardly call two posts good communications.

If you guys need a good communications slash PR guy, I have an impeccable resume.

Not to mention even with huge uproar in the forum about the patch after the NA server patch. Also wellknowning it destroys a PvP campaign. They still proceed to deploy it on the EU server.

Thats something that shows that running a MMO is beyond Zenimax abilties and understanding. Not to mention the sheer arrogance the company have shown.
  • Catman14
    Catman14
    ✭✭
    Yes Sinister, that's exactly the sort of updates I would like.

If nothing else it would help me to believe they actually care.
  • edu.journeymanub17_ESO

Haha, someone just don't have any clue about what means "Assistant Community Manager" or "Community Manager"... :smiley:

Wondering if these same folks have any clue about "damage control" as well, a not so technically used therm, whatever, they will learn sooner or later, LOL.
  • Daethz
    Daethz
    ✭✭✭
    Just tried it out for 3 mins or so, went up to 240mb of ram then suddenly shot back down to like 180 then started going back up, closed it at 235mb.

It's also using as much memory as firefox watching a movie from amazon, lol.
    Waiting, and watching, for the return of Melee Weapons.
    -Subsidiary of The Fighters Guild
  • Kaelis33
    Kaelis33
    ✭✭
    Yes something a long the lines:

"Greetings everyone we have located the problem with the memory leak and are shooting to have this patch out to live servers today if at all possible. We apologize for the inconvenience this my have caused you. The problem we encountered was related to X and Y and primarily affects those utilizing blah blah

In the meanwhile, if you would like to minimize the impact of the memory leak you can should avoid X and Z and do blah blah blah. Thank you for your patience we will keep you up to date as soon as anything changes."

Tell us what is going on and if we can minimize our exposure to the leak....

• notepad
    notepad
    ✭✭
    The memory leak has a positive side effect: I don't think I've seen any bots since Craglorn patch went live. I guess when you start up a program and leave ESO unattended, you don't notice when it crashes.