Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Memory Leak in New 1.1.2 Patch

LonePirate
LonePirate
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
Is anyone else experiencing a memory leak following the installation of the new patch? Open the launcher, click Play and leave the game at the login screen without doing anything else. If you have a Windows computer, open Task Manager and look at the eso.exe process. The memory allocation to the exe steadily increases with no end in sight.
Edited by LonePirate on May 23, 2014 1:13PM
  • ZiRM
    ZiRM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, same here.
    Want to become Vampire? 5k @ZiRM in game.
    ESO Server Status. ( ^_^)o自自o(^_^ ) SkåL!!!!!
  • Anath_Q
    Anath_Q
    ✭✭✭✭
    Same here.
    | GM Cheesemongers of Nirn |
  • GossiTheDog
    GossiTheDog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same here.
  • Leovolao
    Leovolao
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lawl... did not see that one coming... but yes.. it's slowly going up
    tea pot

"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?"
  • Leovolao
    Leovolao
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    and to imagine I was actually looking forward to patch day... now I just want it gone
    tea pot

"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?"
  • Iago
    Iago
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ditto
    That which we obtain to cheap we esteem to lightly, it is dearness only that gives everything its value.

-Thomas Pain

• Mujuro
    Mujuro
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yup, and eventually it will cause a crash. Submitted a couple crash reports already.
  • Carnage2K4
    Carnage2K4
    ✭✭✭✭
    BUT HAY! Look, we gave you Craglorn! we know only about 5-10% of the player base is advanced enough to play it, but this is what we gave you! how about that for awesome service.
    - ZOS
    Human Infant Connoisseur
  • Arsenic_Touch
    Arsenic_Touch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The memory leak was there prior to the patch.
    Is it better to out-monster the monster or to be quietly devoured?

╔═════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╗
    "Hope can drown lost in thunderous sound."
    "Fear can claim what little faith remains."
    "Death will take those who fight alone."
    "But united we can break a fate once set in stone."

╚═════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╝

NA // Ebonheart Pact // Leader of CORE Legion // Namira Beta Tester // VR11 NB
  • born2beagator
    born2beagator
    ✭✭✭✭
    honestly i hate the whole vr system to begin with. Just keep us going on levels
  • GossiTheDog
    GossiTheDog
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Not for me. I have EU client unpatched too and it doesn't do this.
  • born2beagator
    born2beagator
    ✭✭✭✭
    lol. Just checked. Confirmed on mine too. I expect the servers to come down tomorrow, and they should.

This is ridiculous
  • lleddy0804
    lleddy0804
    Soul Shriven
    Yep! Huge lag in game after leaving the game running for a while. It's keeping my hard-drive so busy with caching that the game lags until it eventually crashes. Very Annoying, do they even test these patches before release? Not so sure when it seems wide-spread.
  • Iago
    Iago
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People on the EU server should be warned
    That which we obtain to cheap we esteem to lightly, it is dearness only that gives everything its value.

-Thomas Pain

• born2beagator
    born2beagator
    ✭✭✭✭
    I put that question to every dev. Seems no one tests them. remember the good ole days where you just pop something into a machine and play it? I miss that
    Edited by born2beagator on May 23, 2014 6:24AM
  • andarielle70b16_ESO
    I had this yesterday BEFORE the patch. So I don't think that the update can be blamed.
  • Brittany_Joy
    Brittany_Joy
    ✭✭✭✭
    It was there but this memory leak is affecting a lot of people now when before it only affected a few. I never had the memory leak problem before the patch but now I do because of the patch.
  • dinges
    dinges
    ✭✭
    And then it's funny to see non-coders look at how an app runs :) Start up nearly anything within windows and put it to dorment.. You will see it grow regardless how small. Windows garbage collection is responsible for releasing the memory parts within an executable.

You can't control garbage collection, it's something that launches when microsoft/windows has enough criteria met to state your pc has enough breathing room to release the garbage.. Runs badly on nearly ever app i code, especially within .NET.

Thanks for reporting OP, but what you post is how windows works from 2.11 and on...
  • GossiTheDog
    GossiTheDog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @dinges, there are widespread reports from customers on this forum they're crashing out with memory errors since this patch. Just FYI.
  • LexonLightbringer
    LexonLightbringer
    ✭✭✭
    Hero Engine = Memory Leaks / see SWTOR for more details about Hero Engine and memory leaks!
  • LonePirate
    LonePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    dinges wrote: »
    And then it's funny to see non-coders look at how an app runs :) Start up nearly anything within windows and put it to dorment.. You will see it grow regardless how small. Windows garbage collection is responsible for releasing the memory parts within an executable.

You can't control garbage collection, it's something that launches when microsoft/windows has enough criteria met to state your pc has enough breathing room to release the garbage.. Runs badly on nearly ever app i code, especially within .NET.

Thanks for reporting OP, but what you post is how windows works from 2.11 and on...

I would give more credence to your points - which do have some validity to them - except I have a dozen or more apps open on my desktop and ESO is the only one draining memory. All of the others either fluctuate between a very small range or they are flat when I leave them idle. Not ESO, at least not today. I did not have this significant of a problem with ESO yesterday. Sure, it consumed a ton of memory, especially while being played; but it did not drain memory like it does now. This is not a Windows problem. This is an ESO problem and a new one at that.
  • dinges
    dinges
    ✭✭
    Yea i saw a bunch of them and they are probably right. All i'm saying is that a executable from a game like this is intended to grow. Just open up the game (don't even login) and check the eso.exe (it will grow).

Leave it open, unplug your network cable or WiFi and you should instantly see that the memory gets released and the growing stops. I just mined the datastream and found that's its some weird communication that seems to happen from the message box that causes this. It does actually fill up memory slow and steady even when you are not logged in to the game. Just having an internet connection and having the login screen open seems to causes massive data to their server (3.2MB/s) with only one purpose : To fill a small dialog telling me EU server is down..

@GossiTheDog‌ : Don't know if you are already logged in but check the load on having the launcher open as well. Both use the same message delivery system and BOTH are eating up memory. Most people keep the launcher open after going into the game. It would make a big difference to close the launcher after going in the game. (ctrl-shift-esc, check mem loads)
  • dinges
    dinges
    ✭✭
    LonePirate wrote: »
    dinges wrote: »

I would give more credence to your points - which do have some validity to them - except I have a dozen or more apps open on my desktop and ESO is the only one draining memory. All of the others either fluctuate between a very small range or they are flat when I leave them idle. Not ESO, at least not today. I did not have this significant of a problem with ESO yesterday. Sure, it consumed a ton of memory, especially while being played; but it did not drain memory like it does now. This is not a Windows problem. This is an ESO problem and a new one at that.

I agree ! But the thing is that when your internet is on, ESO is simply to busy (while not even being logged in!) to allow windows to release it. This already happens when opening the login screen of the game with a internet connection active. After login you just add more memory for playing the game but the problem appears prior to actual play. I'm not able to login yet but i'm guessing memory sizes are massive atm.
  • Jim_McMasterub17_ESO
    Windows asked to change my desktop settings when I logged out tonight, never had it run low on memory before.
    ..Interesting..very interesting.

(Was it my imagination though, or was the final draw distance for advanced graphics levels pushed up quite abit? glass looked..glassier? & tapestries more like cloth from further away...
  • GossiTheDog
    GossiTheDog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aye. I actually think the swapping of the wallpaper on the login screen may eat some of memory. I mean, nothing sinister there and garbage collection should sort it... But something has gone wrong somewhere.

There's a reddit thread for memory leaks here; http://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/comments/269p47/memory_leak_got_worse_uses_up_memory_much_quicker/
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Its been doing it to me since launch and since I only have 4gb its pretty annoying to restart the game every few hours.
  • Rylana
    Rylana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I put that question to every dev. Seems no one tests them. remember the good ole days where you just pop something into a machine and play it? I miss that

brb starfox
    @rylanadionysis == Closed Beta Tester October 2013 == Retired October 2016 == Uninstalled @ One Tamriel Release == Inactive Indefinitely
    Ebonheart Pact: Lyzara Dionysis - Sorc - AR 37 (Former Empress of Blackwater Blade and Haderus) == Shondra Dionysis - Temp - AR 23 == Arrianaya Dionysis - DK - AR 17
    Aldmeri Dominion: Rylana Dionysis - DK - AR 25 == Kailiana - NB - AR 21 == Minerva Dionysis - Temp - AR 21 == Victoria Dionysis - Sorc - AR 13
    Daggerfall Covenant: Dannika Dionysis - DK - AR 21 == The Catman Rises - Temp - AR 15 (Former Emperor of Blackwater Blade)
    Forum LOL Champion (retired) == Black Belt in Ballista-Fu == The Last Vice Member == Praise Cheesus == Electro-Goblin
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hero Engine = Memory Leaks / see SWTOR for more details about Hero Engine and memory leaks!

Game doesnt use hero engine.

Hasnt since an early early alpha build if I recall right.
  • Arsenic_Touch
    Arsenic_Touch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sakiri wrote: »

Its been doing it to me since launch and since I only have 4gb its pretty annoying to restart the game every few hours.

Been doing it since launch for me as well. 8 gigs here, once ESO starts eating up around 4 gigs, it starts getting bogged down for me.
    Is it better to out-monster the monster or to be quietly devoured?

╔═════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╗
    "Hope can drown lost in thunderous sound."
    "Fear can claim what little faith remains."
    "Death will take those who fight alone."
    "But united we can break a fate once set in stone."

╚═════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╝

NA // Ebonheart Pact // Leader of CORE Legion // Namira Beta Tester // VR11 NB
  • GossiTheDog
    GossiTheDog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sakiri wrote: »

Game doesnt use hero engine.

Hasnt since an early early alpha build if I recall right.

They licensed Hero Engine way way back, and Hero Engine code is in the game (it's in the credits of the game, from the login screen, if anybody wants to peek). However almost all of it was thrown out as I understand it.