The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Confirmed Memory Leak in 1.1.2

• Calgrissom
    Calgrissom
    ✭✭
    Last Night we found this. It seemed the guys who used Windows 8 Had the memory leak but windows 7 users I talked to did not including my self. Can any windows 7 users here confirm if they had this leak.
  • Arsenic_Touch
    Arsenic_Touch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Happening here as well.

I updated my graphic drivers and it fixed my fps drop for like 10 minutes before I realized that my ram and virtual memory was being chewed up by ESO. On the bright side, things look better, still can't play though.
    Is it better to out-monster the monster or to be quietly devoured?

╔═════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╗
    "Hope can drown lost in thunderous sound."
    "Fear can claim what little faith remains."
    "Death will take those who fight alone."
    "But united we can break a fate once set in stone."

╚═════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╝

NA // Ebonheart Pact // Leader of CORE Legion // Namira Beta Tester // VR11 NB
  • Zershar_Vemod
    Zershar_Vemod
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tengri wrote: »
    No one is going to work on this until mid next week at the earliest - big US holiday weekend coming up; they will all be out waving their flags.

Good sir, Memorial Day is a "holiday" to stop what one is doing and honor our fallen troops, etc. You are thinking of the 4th of July aka Independence Day - which vastly different.

And yes, I can confirm this leak too; I started getting crashes, rollbacks, etc. and a good amount of memory being eaten up before my computer would fully freeze and I was forced to manually restart...

I was also getting black screen while loading into the game due to this new "true" full-screen mode TESO runs now which screws everything up.

I use
    • Windows 7 Home Premium
    • XPS 8500 Model
    • Intel Core i7-3770 CPU @3.40GHz
    • 12.0 GB (RAM)
    • 64-bit OS
    • AMD Radeon HD 7770
    Edited by Zershar_Vemod on May 23, 2014 1:59PM
    House Nyssara (NA)
    Black Market Traders
    Order of the Lamp Post
    Thorn Brigade
    VR15 Nightblade Vampire
  • pavelcherepanskyrwb17_ESO
    I use Win
    Sony Vaio E15 laptop.
    i7 - 3632 QM
    8GB RAM
    AMD Radeon 7650M

Confirm memory leak both for launcher and ESO.exe. In the last 3 minutes Launcher ate another 25 Mb of RAM.

ESO.exe leaks memory at a rate of roughly 1 Mb per second from what I observed.
    "Do you want the book or not? Then go whack some people with Wabbajack!!"
  • Willow
    Willow
    ✭✭✭
    hmm am playing on a old pc as we are saving up so I can get the specs I want. Anyway, I pllayed last night for about 5 hours with no problems at all. This is on ultra settings .

For once, I am glad I have an old pc until this gets fixed .
  • anakaki
    anakaki
    ✭✭✭
    cfurlin wrote: »
    When will ZoS be hotfixing 1.1.2 to patch the now-confirmed memory leak?

To be clear, ESO.exe now has a confirmed memory leak. To reproduce:

- Launch game, but stay on the Login screen (do not login)

That's it. You will then see under Windows Task Manager that ESO.exe slowly consumes more and more memory.

That's should be a pretty easy list of steps (ONE) to reproduce the memory leak that even ZoS QA team can understand.

Will this be hotfixed today?

Cool, because the leak in the Mac version is gone. I haven't crashed once.

I guess they moved it from one platform to the other. ;)

It's not gone. Crash once every 2 hours. Not fixed.
    Death Recap for Templars
    Have you tried rerolling to a Sorcerer or Dragonknight?
    Templars do more dps than DK's.
  • monkeymystic
    monkeymystic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bisset_E wrote: »
    PC user here. No memory problems (at all) pre-patch, although I had the occasional BSOD for reasons I never figured out.

Since the patch I can play for about 40-80 minutes before ESO is using at least 3.6 gb of RAM on my system. If I catch it in time I can close the game, and it actually frees up the RAM. If I don't notice in time it can cause a complete system crash as ESO's mem leak causes other programs to crash as well.

tl;dr ESO memory usage climbs from 1-1.2 gb up to 3.4-3.8 gb within an hour and a half of starting ESO.exe.

That is a pretty insane memory leak
  • tengri
    tengri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No one is going to work on this until mid next week at the earliest - big US holiday weekend coming up; they will all be out waving their flags.

Good sir, Memorial Day is a "holiday" to stop what one is doing and honor our fallen troops, etc. You are thinking of the 4th of July aka Independence Day - which vastly different.

That might very well be and I do not question that.

But in this context for the rest of the (non-US) costumer base all that matters is that it is a long holiday weekend - which means most if not all personal will be away and not available to work on this rather game breaking issue.
  • Shnozthegreatub17_ESO
    Shnozthegreatub17_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    I have the same problem I can not play for more then like 8 minutes before it Crashes
  • Ageless
    Ageless
    ✭✭✭
    Calgrissom wrote: »
    Can any windows 7 users here confirm if they had this leak.

Confirmed.
    Started eso.exe at ~208,000 KB, then dipped down to ~176,000 KB.
    Now 5 minutes later it's at ~255,000 KB. All values are Working Set sizes. It also continues to go up.

And why does eso.exe continue to take up a whole CPU core, when we're only at the login screen?
    Jord.

As I burn down and murder, I know that God forgives.
    'Spite all the things I've done my soul yet forever lives.
    And all those caught in the shadow of my wings have cause to fear.
    I swear on all I've done, no evil shall linger here.

• Flayedalive
    I was wondering if there was a memory leak as the game became more and more laggy through intermittent freezes and loading all the time. I had crashed several times and the latest crash several minutes ago crashed my system as it couldn't free up the used RAM. I had to force a reboot (which I hate having to do).

I really hope you fix this soon as before this patch there was nothing wrong with memory issues for me.
  • Lovely
    Lovely
    ✭✭✭
    Shouldn't you have this in Customer Support forum section? As the title implies, it is a bug you are reporting and should be addressed.
    Edited by Lovely on May 23, 2014 2:23PM
  • andreas.rudroffb16_ESO
    People, stay calm, eso.exe is now bitcoin mining

all is working as intended

..... smell my sarcasm :)
  • Flayedalive
    Just checked and while on login screen the game is making memory usage increase by approx 2000k every second. That'll give me about 20-30 minutes and playable gameplay with it deteriorating all the time.
    Edited by Flayedalive on May 23, 2014 2:24PM
  • Brother_Numsie
    Brother_Numsie
    ✭✭✭
    Can confirm memory leak, Window 7 user. Started around 202,000 KB been 10 minutes now at 404,000 KB.

Same thing happening with the launcher.... speaking of, why is it the launcher still runs in the background? Don't most games auto shutdown their launchers when the game launches?
  • onlinegamer1
    onlinegamer1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can confirm memory leak, Window 7 user. Started around 202,000 KB been 10 minutes now at 404,000 KB.

Same thing happening with the launcher.... speaking of, why is it the launcher still runs in the background? Don't most games auto shutdown their launchers when the game launches?

FYI, find "eso.exe" and add a shortcut to that on your desktop. No need to actually run the launcher unless patching.
  • eduardo_goncalveseb17_ESO
    More imcompetence.. bad game balance, bad encounter design, bad coding, bad testing.. whatever.. fire everyone or whoever is responsable for this mess.
  • Flayedalive
    Calgrissom wrote: »
    Last Night we found this. It seemed the guys who used Windows 8 Had the memory leak but windows 7 users I talked to did not including my self. Can any windows 7 users here confirm if they had this leak.

I use windows 7 and I can confirm the memory leak on the login screen is about 2000k per second and ingame it went from 1,101,110 to 1,177,292 in less than a minute and its steadily rising. I am in an instanced area with very few players about.

Its now at 1,226,724 when I finished this message.
  • Brother_Numsie
    Brother_Numsie
    ✭✭✭

FYI, find "eso.exe" and add a shortcut to that on your desktop. No need to actually run the launcher unless patching.

Thank you. :)
  • Katelin
    Katelin
    ✭✭✭
    So that's what was happening then...I was trying to play last night and noticed my RAM percent usage gadget kept showing higher and higher and higher RAM usage and I eventually restarted my game when it showed about 97% being used. It never got that high before the Craglorn update. I use Windows 7.
  • Yakidafi
    Yakidafi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @onlinegamer1‌

the launcher.exe does leak but the eso.exe does not, for me atleast. stays around 1.5K through out my game session, which is about 1h now.

It goes up and down , but constantly around that area.

Moons and sands shall be your guide and path.
    PC EU/NA
  • sotonin
    sotonin
    ✭✭✭
    here's a novel idea.. don't sit on the login screen all damn day? ... why are you sitting on the login screen for crying out loud. Open game. login. done. Done playing? close game. it's easy. I'd rather them fix important broken crap with the game not your login screen memory leak. sheesh.

I played for hoursssss last night (going afk numerous times in dungeons etc to do stuff around the house) has no issues with memory at all.
    Edited by sotonin on May 23, 2014 2:35PM
  • BBSooner
    BBSooner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sotonin wrote: »
    here's a novel idea.. don't sit on the login screen all damn day? ... why are you sitting on the login screen for crying out loud. Open game. login. done. Done playing? close game. it's easy. I'd rather them fix important broken crap with the game not your login screen memory leak. sheesh.

I played for hoursssss last night (going afk numerous times in dungeons etc to do stuff around the house) has no issues with memory at all.

Hopefully ZOS doesn't listen to your armchair help desk advice and fixes the leak before it gets worse.
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Hey guys, thanks for the reports on this. We're going to look into this now, and will let you know if we have any additional questions for you.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • onlinegamer1
    onlinegamer1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sotonin wrote: »

Just a quick reply to this ***. The game leaks when you login, too. We are only providing the SIMPLEST reproducible case to see the leak. But it does leak no matter what you do.

[Moderator Note: Edited per our rules on Flaming]
    Edited by ZOS_JoanaL on May 24, 2014 1:08AM
  • SDZald
    SDZald
    ✭✭✭

That might very well be and I do not question that.

But in this context for the rest of the (non-US) costumer base all that matters is that it is a long holiday weekend - which means most if not all personal will be away and not available to work on this rather game breaking issue.

Only here in America we take out jobs seriously. Being that I have worked in IT for the last 40 years I speak from experience, I have even worked Christmas day. When system problems impact our biz there is no off time until such problem are resolved.

Back on topic. I only played a short time yesterday as I had a family function I had to go to. I was puzzled why when I logged out the screen went blank and my PC locked up. I will have to look at this tonight when I get home. I can't believe this got past their QA, do they test their crap at all before rolling it out? Don't they have a beta server with beta tester? I can understand minnor bugs slipping through but this is major. Siiiigggghhhhh why did I let myself get dragged back into another MMO??????

• onlinegamer1
    onlinegamer1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey guys, thanks for the reports on this. We're going to look into this now, and will let you know if we have any additional questions for you.

Thank you.
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    If you're currently experiencing a memory leak, could you please let us know if you're running any add-ons (plus the names) and if you're running any game enhancement software or anything graphics related (such as screen recording software). Thanks!
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Zershar_Vemod
    Zershar_Vemod
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you very much.

Along with already suffering from the rapid gear decay bug, and this memory leak among the other issues (like constant rollbacks) introduced yesterday, it is very difficult to even play this game.

This type of situation is why I haven't upgraded to Imperial Edition.. :(
    House Nyssara (NA)
    Black Market Traders
    Order of the Lamp Post
    Thorn Brigade
    VR15 Nightblade Vampire
  • Silverblade
    Silverblade
    ✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno
    Thank you for replying and letting us know it's being looked at. It only took you guys a day. I look forward to a hotfix today addressing this issue. The game is practically unplayable after about an hour, just devouring any and all resources. Do not leave it in this state over the 3 day weekend. This will literally decide whether I resubscribe or not.

Edited to add that I am not using addons. The first launch since patch had them all disabled by default, memory leak was present. I purged the addons folder just in case, memory leak still present. Not running any additional software or gameplay enhancement whatevers.
    Edited by Silverblade on May 23, 2014 3:16PM
    Unsubbed.
    You have 4 days of game time remaining.