The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Rapid gear decay

• starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    guys, running and interacting, riding horses do not damage your gear, however it seems like everyone always jump and fall beyond 3 or 4 meters. they get damaged. THIS affects gear durability. dying cost less, if you fall that often off rocks, building, or improv parkour in pvp. you will lose durability. I remembered when i saw my gear being damaged in pvp. This is how I realized. So, stop jumping off buildings.

This... isn't what's causing the problems. At least not for me. It's seeing my armor degrade rapidly from combat, even when I'm not taking damage. Remember, some of us have been tracking this in real time with addons, not just by opening up our inventories at random intervals to check. Now, you might be right about fall damage can affect armor condition, (I can't remember if I've seen this happen, off hand) but it's not what's causing this issue.
  • Raubrey
    Raubrey
    ✭✭✭
    Vhalkyrie wrote: »
    Agreed. Once I hit level 40, my gear deteriorates at an astonishing rate. I'm a nightblade archer, and I was surprised that my gear had deteriorated so much when I was just hunting mudcrabs for leather; I didn't get hit much, and I didn't die. At earlier stages of the game, I wouldn't repair anything and just made new gear every two levels. Now my gear isn't even making it long enough to last one level.

I had an $1800 repair bill for killing snakes. My armor was ZERO. I wasn't even losing health as a NB siphon.

My repair bills fluctuate from normal to insane -- generally 300ish after a couple quests or so to 800+ for the same, without dying or getting pounded on.

Greybeards & Gals Founder
    greybeardsandgals.com
  • vasdrakken
    vasdrakken
    ✭✭
    guys, running and interacting, riding horses do not damage your gear, however it seems like everyone always jump and fall beyond 3 or 4 meters. they get damaged. THIS affects gear durability. dying cost less, if you fall that often off rocks, building, or improv parkour in pvp. you will lose durability. I remembered when i saw my gear being damaged in pvp. This is how I realized. So, stop jumping off buildings.

There is clearly a bug, I never have any issues with repairing but I went and explored riften and repair costs shot through the roof so the same gear and just using a way point from deshaan to riften and staying in the city, most of my gear was destroyed while I was just crafting stuff and deconstructing stuff from my bank. There was no jumping or dieing, so we are no idiots but gamers who are testing this logically. So before you assume anything please read all the posts you are commenting on. Also when I went to find the crafting station I died a bunch of times and got beaten up by the mobs and it did less damage to my gear than the crafting xp did.
  • vyal
    vyal
    ✭✭✭
    I've tested this and I personally take no gear damage from falling. No matter how many time I fall. I've tested jumping 30 times off of one particularly ideal cliff, and not a scratch on the armor.

I thought this was the case, initially, as I'm quite the offender at cliff jumping, but nope, this isn't the cause of the reason for this thread.
  • babylon
    babylon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Definitely stop quoting that guy about "falling damage". It's totally irrelevant.

What we do know as far as gear decay during combat goes is that it isn't getting damaged that causes gear decay - it's killing mobs.

You get gear damage when the mob dies - it does not have to hit you at all to cause item decay to your gear.
  • Vhalkyrie
    Vhalkyrie
    ✭✭✭
    vasdrakken wrote: »
    Also when I went to find the crafting station I died a bunch of times and got beaten up by the mobs and it did less damage to my gear than the crafting xp did.

Good point about the crafting exp - that could explain some of the weirdness with my gear deterioration. I guess I'm going to be crafting nekkid from now on!
  • Gillysan
    Gillysan
    ✭✭✭✭
    My testing so far shows no gear damage as well but I wouldn't cross it off the list just yet!

I even got over zealous and...
    Durameter showed 4%
    cliff%20diver.BMP
  • psufan5
    psufan5
    ✭✭✭✭
    I thought I would be rolling in money at VR10, but I find myself losing money daily because of this repair bill. I am almost tempted to just make a plain white set of armor, that I destroy after a night of work. The fact that I cant repair my own gear is ridiculous, and costs way way way too much.

Surgical Incision
    Former Emperor
    USPS4
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also when I went to find the crafting station I died a bunch of times and got beaten up by the mobs and it did less damage to my gear than the crafting xp did.

Good point about the crafting exp - that could explain some of the weirdness with my gear deterioration. I guess I'm going to be crafting nekkid from now on!

Great, now I've got this mental image of someone just standing at the anvil pounding on it with a hammer, naked. Maintaing eye contact, just pounding away on the anvil. Not working on anything, just clang, clang, clang...

I can't decide if it's hilarious or horrifying.
  • mark2472
    mark2472
    ✭✭✭

Great, now I've got this mental image of someone just standing at the anvil pounding on it with a hammer, naked. Maintaing eye contact, just pounding away on the anvil. Not working on anything, just clang, clang, clang...

It's horrifyingly hilarious...
  • ZeBlade
    ZeBlade
    ✭✭
    "This game's economy is already crap" so right...

Theres a bug some where. I made new armor, put in bank. Log out get on other toon take new armor from bank go to sell..new armor down to 95%. HAHA That walk to the bank really was a hard walk I guess
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Kyosji wrote: »
    @ZOS_GinaBruno‌ You may want to give us an answer soon before we all go crazy and kill each other.
    Don't worry, we haven't forgotten! Just waiting for all the testing to finish up. :)
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Vhalkyrie
    Vhalkyrie
    ✭✭✭

Well, not nekkid-nekkid :open_mouth: But this got me paranoid enough that I made a level 1 robe to craft in.
  • mark2472
    mark2472
    ✭✭✭
    Kyosji wrote: »
    @ZOS_GinaBruno‌ You may want to give us an answer soon before we all go crazy and kill each other.
    Don't worry, we haven't forgotten! Just waiting for all the testing to finish up. :)

Woohoo, they're doing testing on this specific issue? Maybe we'll get some results, then!
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, not nekkid-nekkid :open_mouth: But this got me paranoid enough that I made a level 1 robe to craft in.

Now, in their bathrobe... I'm pretty sure that's not better. :p

Though, I do regularly see someone naked at a forge or clothier bench. I usually assume they're just upgrading their armor.
  • Blackwolfe5
    Blackwolfe5
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds promising! If I bothered to repair I'd be permabroke. Repaircosts close to 1k are not uncommon.. And IM LEVEL 18!!!
  • Amaylia
    Amaylia
    ✭✭
    babylon wrote: »
    Definitely stop quoting that guy about "falling damage". It's totally irrelevant.

What we do know as far as gear decay during combat goes is that it isn't getting damaged that causes gear decay - it's killing mobs.

You get gear damage when the mob dies - it does not have to hit you at all to cause item decay to your gear.

This isn't entirely true. I have soloed group dungeons that were way below my level, died multiple times doing it, and had a repair bill of 0g. However, after doing a public dungeon my level (at level 41), the repair bill after that 45 minutes was over 1000g.

I received a small amount of XP from opening chests in the dungeon, and that caused 0 durability damage as well, so the qualifications for durability damage are based more around monster kills + XP gain.
  • babylon
    babylon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Amaylia wrote: »

monster kills + XP gain.
    Okay to clarify - you get damage from killing mobs that give you xp.

These mobs do not have to hit you at all to cause item decay. The item decay is simply from killing the mobs (that give xp).
    Edited by babylon on April 30, 2014 4:02PM
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

monster kills + XP gain.

These mobs do not have to hit you at all to cause item decay. The item decay is simply from killing the mobs (that give xp).

Which makes the entire L2P argument singularly amusing. Since what they're actually saying is, "the correct way to play the game is to avoid accruing xp." You know, the opposite of how the game is supposed to work.
  • Amaylia
    Amaylia
    ✭✭

monster kills + XP gain.

Sorry, I did not intend to be nit-picky, but I thought it was an important factor in the overall equation.
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    b101uk wrote: »
    I think one of the biggest people need to answer is do they actively group

Here is the thing... People have commented on whether they were grouped or solo. People have provided clear examples via testing. Did you read through all previous 12 pages or just decide to jump in and tell us to "L2P noobs"?

This is reminding me of the Trashed Bank Slot saga... Some people (myself included) got hit by it but we had to put up with so many people telling us to get over it or it didn't exist, simply because they hadn't been affected by it.

So back to your comment... If I'm playing solo (not grouped), go to town, repair to 100%, leave town and use a Way Shrine (no combat takes place and I'm still at 100% durability) and after the loading screen (again no combat takes place), find myself at 97% durability (using durameter and visually confirming that my shoulders were no longer at 100%), How does that work? Is this working as intended or does it sound like a bug to you?
    Could you please let us know exactly which two wayshrines you used when this happened?
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Staff Post
  • t.claudio.usnub18_ESO
    Just make it simple, make it so you lose no dura unless you die, and also not lower our armor from dura decay, this effects tanks, I don't see dps losing damage or crit with they have armor dura decay, a tanks armor is there form of dps if you know what I mean.

I dont even want to tank dungs anymore because I am scared of going broke (gold wise), as a tank my gear and pockets are broke due to the massive amounts of damage I take tanking ontop of dying, the last few times I joined a dung I went dps and we all gave the tank some gold to help because we knew how bad it is to tank vs dps in terms of repair bills.

So in sort:
    1. Remove the dura decay from taking damage, or you will have no tanks in the future.
    2. Remove the loss of armor upon dying, armor is to tanks as damage is to DPS.

• Kyosji
    Kyosji
    ✭✭✭
    *still waiting*
  • Arsenic_Touch
    Arsenic_Touch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those that are saying exp gains are the culprit, I noticed that once I equipped a ring of mara on my main around 25ish, that's when my repair bills became outrageous.
    Is it better to out-monster the monster or to be quietly devoured?

╔═════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╗
    "Hope can drown lost in thunderous sound."
    "Fear can claim what little faith remains."
    "Death will take those who fight alone."
    "But united we can break a fate once set in stone."

╚═════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╝

NA // Ebonheart Pact // Leader of CORE Legion // Namira Beta Tester // VR11 NB
  • LadyDestiny
    LadyDestiny
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think they should lower the cost some, fix the bug and remove decay in pvp as well..........just a thought
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    After thoroughly testing the armor decay system, we found that everything is working as it was designed. However, we did find that there were a small number of cases that may be generating more decay than was originally intended, and we will continue to investigate those situations. We’ve also seen your feedback and do agree with you that the durability was too severe under some conditions, such as while you’re playing in a group, and are testing these changes on the PTS now.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Staff Post
  • Arsenic_Touch
    Arsenic_Touch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suppose that's better than nothing but I find it hard to believe that losing half your durability doing a single quest or dungeon without dying once equates to "working as intended"
    Is it better to out-monster the monster or to be quietly devoured?

╔═════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╗
    "Hope can drown lost in thunderous sound."
    "Fear can claim what little faith remains."
    "Death will take those who fight alone."
    "But united we can break a fate once set in stone."

╚═════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╝

NA // Ebonheart Pact // Leader of CORE Legion // Namira Beta Tester // VR11 NB
  • Kingslayer
    Kingslayer
    ✭✭✭
    If its working as intended then its certainly a daft way of doing things. It should cost as much as it does.
  • Blackwolfe5
    Blackwolfe5
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I hope the fix, whenever it comes will fix it for my chars as well. If not and it's working as intended, then it's BAD DESIGN.