The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Rapid gear decay

• Blackwolfe5
    Blackwolfe5
    ✭✭✭
    If it is a bug then it needs fixing asap

If it is intended then it's bad design. Not only does it push people into goldsellers arms (thus promoting botting, account thefts and hacks) but it also punishes players (because bots are not bothered by repairs)

Hotfix if you must, this is getting silly.

At the same time there are bots in a wide range of places, like dhalmora, at public dungeon bosses or at instaspawning nodes.
  • dannuckb14_ESO
    Hey there, everyone. We're looking into this now, and will let you know if this system is working as designed as soon as we can. Thanks!

@ZOS_GinaBruno‌ , this can't be working as intended, and I have a great example you can give to your tech guys:

The other night I was running Volenfell with a group. I got a couple new pieces of gear, so I stayed in the instance playing around with them and my current gear to see how "overcharged" it made my magicka pool. The tank had been really good, so I barely took any hits, and I know for a fact that nothing I was wearing was that damaged, especially since I was playing around with it and looking at the stats on it (you can easily see when those bars are empty and the armor numbers show up in red).

Then, I ported to town because I needed to sell and clear my inventory. Went to a vendor, sold my stuff, and clicked on the repair button. I like to repair anything that's reached below 40% durability. 3 of my items were now at 0%, including one that I had just gotten from the instance and that I had equipped right before porting out. There was no combat between me equipping it and going to town.

This cannot be working as intended. It wasn't just a display bug, either. I was losing stats because of it, and repairing fixed that issue.
  • dannuckb14_ESO
    Asava wrote: »
    Thanks for looking into it!! I'm about to die a shock. A forum post about an issue was answered by a ZOS employee.....

@Asava‌ they respond all the time. GinaBruno‌ is in here all the time, and I see others on a pretty regular basis.
    Edited by dannuckb14_ESO on April 29, 2014 4:41PM
  • b101uk
    b101uk
    ✭✭✭
    Mephane wrote: »
    ......................etc........................... We as players care little whether it works as designed. What we have been saying for pages is that the way items actually decay is too high; by a factor of 5-10 is my personal estimate from experience of how fast items get damaged in other MMOs. If that is by design, then we ask for the design itself to be modified. :)

Sorry but I don’t want decay to be changed, else it will be just to dam easy to make even more gold IF decay was reduces by factors of 5 or 10 which are ludicrous values.

Its strikes me the free lunch brigade who like to group to get extra XP and level faster from grinding etc don’t like that there lunch is not quite so free as it first appeared, neither is the fact that if you level faster you potentially have the same net damage in a shorter period of time which is a higher cost per 1h of real time play vs. people who don’t group and get less XP thus level slower.
  • dannuckb14_ESO
    b101uk wrote: »
    Mephane wrote: »
    ......................etc........................... We as players care little whether it works as designed. What we have been saying for pages is that the way items actually decay is too high; by a factor of 5-10 is my personal estimate from experience of how fast items get damaged in other MMOs. If that is by design, then we ask for the design itself to be modified. :)

Sorry but I don’t want decay to be changed, else it will be just to dam easy to make even more gold IF decay was reduces by factors of 5 or 10 which are ludicrous values.

Its strikes me the free lunch brigade who like to group to get extra XP and level faster from grinding etc don’t like that there lunch is not quite so free as it first appeared, neither is the fact that if you level faster you potentially have the same net damage in a shorter period of time which is a higher cost per 1h of real time play vs. people who don’t group and get less XP thus level slower.

@b101uk‌ we aren't talking about normal decay rates. Well maybe some of us are... But the majority of us are talking about decay on your items that doesn't make sense, as in porting to town to suddenly have 3 of your items at 0% durability, when they were fine before you ported. Or where one death causes your shield to drop all the way to 0% from 90%. Things that don't make sense.
  • sparkatus
    sparkatus
    I'm a level 42 DK S&S heavy armor user and my most expensive repair bill was 731. And that time I was questing and then dungeon, died a couple of times.

I have a friend that a crafted one set of armor for him, 2 levels later he asks me to make again and then I asked him why. He said that is cheaper to craft the armor again then to fix it, because his repair bills was always like 1k-2k.

I only use gear that I craft. Maybe your own crafted gear decays slower, I don't know...

ingame: @sparkatus

Blacksmith, Enchanter, Woodworker, Tank
  • Vantor
    Vantor
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a level 42 DK S&S heavy armor user and my most expensive repair bill was 731. And that time I was questing and then dungeon, died a couple of times.

I have a friend that a crafted one set of armor for him, 2 levels later he asks me to make again and then I asked him why. He said that is cheaper to craft the armor again then to fix it, because his repair bills was always like 1k-2k.

I only use gear that I craft. Maybe your own crafted gear decays slower, I don't know...

If you craft it with the sturdy trait definitely. Otherwise there must be an error in the code.
    Invictus EU Guild Officer
  • Saerydoth
    Saerydoth
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hey there, everyone. We're looking into this now, and will let you know if this system is working as designed as soon as we can. Thanks!

@ZOS_GinaBruno‌ , this can't be working as intended, and I have a great example you can give to your tech guys:

The other night I was running Volenfell with a group. I got a couple new pieces of gear, so I stayed in the instance playing around with them and my current gear to see how "overcharged" it made my magicka pool. The tank had been really good, so I barely took any hits, and I know for a fact that nothing I was wearing was that damaged, especially since I was playing around with it and looking at the stats on it (you can easily see when those bars are empty and the armor numbers show up in red).

Then, I ported to town because I needed to sell and clear my inventory. Went to a vendor, sold my stuff, and clicked on the repair button. I like to repair anything that's reached below 40% durability. 3 of my items were now at 0%, including one that I had just gotten from the instance and that I had equipped right before porting out. There was no combat between me equipping it and going to town.

This cannot be working as intended. It wasn't just a display bug, either. I was losing stats because of it, and repairing fixed that issue.

That definitely sounds like a bug. I've not had anything like that happen.
  • Chettb16_ESO
    Chettb16_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    One important Question is: When will they find the time to look into this, with all that bs that goes wrong in this game and they have to look into...

I guess, i am broke untill they fixed it. And i dont care if its a bug, the decay is simply to fast...

They might add: If someone looks up on ur Gear it decays!
  • babylon
    babylon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I think not only is the rate of decay wrong (too fast), but the end cost is also too high.

So much gold does not need to be taken out from us so early in the game.
  • Anarchos404
    Anarchos404
    ✭✭
    I made this thread 7 days ago and today I got an email from CS telling me that the issue has been bumped up.

Which is good.

I guess now we can shed some light on bugged ultimates forcing you not to be able to anything for a while, a whole instance of invisible mobs being able to damage you and a little pesky problems called china bots!

\o/
  • vencibushy
    vencibushy
    ✭✭
    I have to agree that repair costs are way over the top. That goes along with the repair need frequency.

However to bypass this system I forced myself into using crap gear(white and some green) and crafting.

Since my DK uses heavy armor and 2h sword all I needed was metal ore. I never bothered repairing anything. Well maybe in some rare situations. Broken items went back for deconstruction and new ones were crafted instead.

Same goes for the good quality items. Once broken - deconstruct and replace.
  • aipex8_ESO
    aipex8_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's not that we want a "free lunch," like I said in an earlier post, make repairs a gold sink but do it like this: lvl 10: repair 5% damage to gear = 100 gold. lvl 50: repair 5% damage to gear = 500 gold. Instead, it appears what they have done is lvl 10: fight one mob your gear goes down 1%. lvl 50: fight one mob your gear goes down 10%.

I don't mind paying a repair bill, what I do mind is getting 1/2 way through 1 quest and having no armor rating, or delving one dungeon and knowing by the time I get to the boss I'll have no armor (even if I haven't died) and probably will get wiped by him.

• Goibot
    Goibot
    ✭✭✭
    I put a shield in my 2nd set and never used it. Slag... It should never of taken any damage. I never even switched to it.

Regardless if this is working as intended, repairs should never cost us more than we can sell the item for.
  • Muletide
    Muletide
    ✭✭✭
    Being a DK sword & board tank, I get beat on for a living. I found it cheaper to get a couple repair kits for field repairs and individually repair key items (blue, purple,etc) from the vendor. Also as a blacksmith, I just craft new armor every few levels rather than dump a fortune to keep them 100% repaired every vendor visit. Better for your gold sack and crafting xp.

The option of craftsmen being able to repair their own armor would be awesome.
  • Kyosji
    Kyosji
    ✭✭✭
    Still no update from ZOS? Or did they just do their Generic business speak to not deal with us?
  • dragnar12
    dragnar12
    ✭✭
    Kyosji wrote: »
    Still no update from ZOS? Or did they just do their Generic business speak to not deal with us?
    generic responses cus the dont give a *** as long as u pay them $$$$$$$
  • ct12yyyeb17_ESO

So you guys got no idea how much a simple thing like repairing should cost at some random min/max lvls like lvl10 white gear and VR10 purple gear ?

Did you ever play this game or you just look at forum and copy-paste some templates?
    Who are those guys at CS ??
  • Cernow
    Cernow
    ✭✭✭✭
    I went back and repeated my Dolmen test. Level 10 Templar in full level 10 Greens (drops, not crafted), 5 heavy, 2 Light, 1h+shield. Started fully repaired. I completed one Dolmen (level 12 mobs) with a lot of other players involved. Tried not to taunt anything this time, just dps. I took very little damage and I didn't die. Once the Dolmen was completed I returned immediately to town and found 11 points of durability loss for a total of 79g repairs.

I await to hear the official verdict on this, but I really hope its not working as intended because this just isn't sustainable. A MMO needs gold sinks, no-one disputes that. But this is a gold sinkhole.
  • Saerydoth
    Saerydoth
    ✭✭✭✭

So you guys got no idea how much a simple thing like repairing should cost at some random min/max lvls like lvl10 white gear and VR10 purple gear ?

Did you ever play this game or you just look at forum and copy-paste some templates?
    Who are those guys at CS ??

CS can't tell you if it's working as intended or not. They have to go to the developers, give them the data, and ask. It's very likely that there is a bug involved, because some people are reporting their gear suddenly breaking when they haven't even used it. But it's not happening to everyone either.
  • phairdon
    phairdon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    My biggest repair bill was 1500g. This was from the cold harbor quest where you need to jump off a platform to try & light a fire to open the library door.

Yes I took my gear off more often than not. Sometimes I forgot or just did not bother with the multiple attempts it took to complete that part of the quest. Outside of that the repair bills have ranged between 100-700g depending on the amount of combat & deaths before repair.
    Your immersion is breaking my entitlement. Buff Sorc's. Darkshroud the cremator Death by furRubeus BlackFluffy knight BladesThe Fat PantherPsijic Fungal SausageFlesheater the VileCaspian Rafferty FernsbyArchfiend Warlock PiersThe Black BishopEvil Wizard Lizard (EU)Neberra Vestige Fajeon (EU)Salanis Deathstick (EU)Blood Mage Alchemist (EU)
  • SuperScrubby
    SuperScrubby
    ✭✭✭
    My biggest repair bill was around 4k. That's pretty damn high. Wasn't gear I could easily swap either.
  • Knottypine
    Knottypine
    ✭✭✭

@ZOS_GinaBruno‌ Thanks for letting us all know this is being looked into! :)
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anything new on this yet?

I noticed paying more repairs than normal since last week...
  • Darzil
    Darzil
    ✭✭✭
    Cernow wrote: »
    I went back and repeated my Dolmen test. Level 10 Templar in full level 10 Greens (drops, not crafted), 5 heavy, 2 Light, 1h+shield. Started fully repaired. I completed one Dolmen (level 12 mobs) with a lot of other players involved. Tried not to taunt anything this time, just dps. I took very little damage and I didn't die. Once the Dolmen was completed I returned immediately to town and found 11 points of durability loss for a total of 79g repairs.

On my level 16 Templar, did two Dolmens (lowest level one and level 15), with other people. Two handed, mostly green/white armour, 3 heavy, 2 light, 2 medium. 250g repair cost. Got one drop and around 5-6 gold.
  • SamAkira
    SamAkira
    ✭✭
    I read page one, and some of the last page, so, what I'm about to say, has probably been said..

What the hell? I wear 7 pieces of light armor and utilize and aoe bar that requires me to be in the middle of a mob, I'm vet 8 - My repair costs are fine, and few and far between - Block, dodge, don't die. Learn to play. The game would suck hard if it was easier, the money sink needs to exist for the economy, and it teaches you to be a better player. Where are the downsides?

Besides, 1-50 you shouldn't be repairing gear all that much anyway. Levels go by quickly and you find armor everywhere, it's not like you need anything specific at this point. It only really becomes imperative at vet levels that you're built completely properly.

Silly Billies
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    aipex8_ESO wrote: »

It's not that we want a "free lunch," like I said in an earlier post, make repairs a gold sink but do it like this: lvl 10: repair 5% damage to gear = 100 gold. lvl 50: repair 5% damage to gear = 500 gold. Instead, it appears what they have done is lvl 10: fight one mob your gear goes down 1%. lvl 50: fight one mob your gear goes down 10%.

I don't mind paying a repair bill, what I do mind is getting 1/2 way through 1 quest and having no armor rating, or delving one dungeon and knowing by the time I get to the boss I'll have no armor (even if I haven't died) and probably will get wiped by him.

Not to quibble too much, but at 10 the rate seems to be one mob = .25% or .5%.

But, I have the weird suspicion that this is individual to specific players, so, @b101uk‌ if you're not seeing this, then, congrats, you got lucky. Some of us are not so fortunate.

If the reported numbers are accurate, and, I'm actually a little inclined to think most of them are, decay rates are all over the map for players, some players seem to suffer no (or almost no) decay what soever from combat (and only lose durability from death), while some of us are looking at fast gear decay, and others are looking at items being slagged in under an hour.
  • Gillysan
    Gillysan
    ✭✭✭✭
    SamAkira wrote: »
    I read page one, and some of the last page, so, what I'm about to say, has probably been said..

What the hell? I wear 7 pieces of light armor and utilize and aoe bar that requires me to be in the middle of a mob, I'm vet 8 - My repair costs are fine, and few and far between - Block, dodge, don't die. Learn to play. The game would suck hard if it was easier, the money sink needs to exist for the economy, and it teaches you to be a better player. Where are the downsides?

Besides, 1-50 you shouldn't be repairing gear all that much anyway. Levels go by quickly and you find armor everywhere, it's not like you need anything specific at this point. It only really becomes imperative at vet levels that you're built completely properly.

Silly Billies
    Look if you aren't going to read through some of the pages keep your poorly made opinions to yourself. There are very specific examples of people here paying really high repair costs with math included. Also examples of people paying next to nothing. Also examples here of people not doing any combat and even taking damage in towns. Also suggestions on what add-on to use to track this.

L2R = learn to read

• Salmonleap
    Salmonleap
    ✭✭✭
    Darzil wrote: »
    On my level 16 Templar, did two Dolmens (lowest level one and level 15), with other people. Two handed, mostly green/white armour, 3 heavy, 2 light, 2 medium. 250g repair cost. Got one drop and around 5-6 gold.

Therein lies the issue. A repair bill of 250g is no big deal if you can get 200g-300g from a Dolmen or a dungeon, but 50x loot for repairs is silly. Heck even 5x loot for repairs is silly. Ideally, a character should net a small profit from the garbage loot that drops off regular mobs. Even if it's just slightly more than enough to pay for repairs and consumables. Regular landscape questing and dungeon delving should be a profitable venture. Otherwise why would anyone bother to be an adventurer?
    Beware he who would deny you access to information for in his heart he dreams himself your master. -- Pravin Lal
  • Cernow
    Cernow
    ✭✭✭✭
    SamAkira wrote: »

What the hell? I wear 7 pieces of light armor and utilize and aoe bar that requires me to be in the middle of a mob, I'm vet 8 - My repair costs are fine, and few and far between - Block, dodge, don't die. Learn to play.

I'll stop you right there. By your own admission you haven't read the whole thread, but thought you'd jump in with the learn to play comments anyway.

If you had read the whole thread you'd realise it doesn't matter how well you play. It doesn't matter if you block. It doesn't matter if you dodge. It doesn't matter if you don't die. It doesn't matter if the mob never hits you. It doesn't matter if you one-shot the mob. It doesn't matter if you stunlock or CC the mob for the entire fight. You will still get whacked with huge gear decay which accumulates very rapidly.

All that seems to matter is that you gain xp. Gaining xp from combat = gear damage. The current system punishes you for playing, it doesn't reward you for playing well. And this is the issue the majority of people posting in this thread have. The "Learn To Play" comments are totally misplaced.