The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Rapid gear decay

• Vhalkyrie
    Vhalkyrie
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed. Once I hit level 40, my gear deteriorates at an astonishing rate. I'm a nightblade archer, and I was surprised that my gear had deteriorated so much when I was just hunting mudcrabs for leather; I didn't get hit much, and I didn't die. At earlier stages of the game, I wouldn't repair anything and just made new gear every two levels. Now my gear isn't even making it long enough to last one level.
  • zeuseason
    zeuseason
    ✭✭✭
    Regardless if this is a bug or not, repair costs are out of control as well as decay.

I really like the idea of repairing your gear with materials instead of gold. This would work phenomenally well for myself and I'm sure others that collect many mats but rarely sell them and hate spending so much gold on repairs.
  • Kyosji
    Kyosji
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno‌ You may want to give us an answer soon before we all go crazy and kill each other.
  • Cherryblossom
    Cherryblossom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kyosji wrote: »
    @ZOS_GinaBruno‌ You may want to give us an answer soon before we all go crazy and kill each other.
    Sadly they don't answer anything that may be of importance to a large majority of the community.

I've given up on ESO, not because of the bugs, but due to the lack of communication.

• Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You guys scare me. I'm lvl 40 and til now my repair bills have been...tolerable. My biggest problem is falling through the world 5 times a day on average, I swear I die less often on monsters than on this. Highest repair bill I saw was almost 2k but it was after a couple of days with no repairs, lots of /stuck and a couple of dungeons with lots of deaths so explainable. I haven't seen it decay THAT quickly as some of you describe, must indeed be a bug.
    ...I sure hope I don't start getting it now, haven't really checked my armor since I reached lvl 40 o.o
    Edited by Magdalina on April 30, 2014 12:18PM
  • babylon
    babylon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's definitely not damage taken that reduces armour value - it's xp gained.

I noticed after deliberately killing melee mobs I could knockdown and destroy from a distance (so did not touch me at all), after the kill my gear dropped a percent down overall (using that addon - DuraMeter - another person suggested earlier in thread to track the breakdown of my gear).

So - just killing a mob that does not even hit you, your gear breaks.

This needs to change. They should only make gear break a little after deaths...when you actually did play badly.
    Edited by babylon on April 30, 2014 12:27PM
  • Juponen
    Juponen
    ✭✭✭
    Did long questing in VR1 Glenumbra, mixed hvy green/blue, mixed ranged and melee, 2-3 deaths and the bill was still only about 350 gold...
    So take heart, at least the bug is not sticky on your char :)
  • zamiel
    zamiel
    ✭✭✭
    You guys scare me. I'm lvl 40 and til now my repair bills have been...tolerable. My biggest problem is falling through the world 5 times a day on average, I swear I die less often on monsters than on this. Highest repair bill I saw was almost 2k but it was after a couple of days with no repairs, lots of /stuck and a couple of dungeons with lots of deaths so explainable. I haven't seen it decay THAT quickly as some of you describe, must indeed be a bug.
    ...I sure hope I don't start getting it now, haven't really checked my armor since I reached lvl 40 o.o
    Yeah, it was at 40-41 when it rapidly went up. It didn't change much until vet4 though, but I usually pay 150 for 3 seconds of combat (I *** you not that was for me killing a mudcrab on the beach which never even hit me), 300 for a quest and 800-1000 for a regular 'I finished a questing hub and I sell and bank the junk I got' repair. If I die a lot or it did involve mobs actually hitting me a lot it's easier to make a new set of armor - even if it's green and has glyphs and traits. It's cheaper to buy those than to repair.
  • Vhalkyrie
    Vhalkyrie
    ✭✭✭
    babylon wrote: »

I noticed after deliberately killing melee mobs I could knockdown and destroy from a distance (so did not touch me at all), after the kill my gear dropped a percent down overall (using that addon - DuraMeter - another person suggested earlier in thread to track the breakdown of my gear).

Yes, this is what is happening to me too.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Juponen wrote: »
    Did long questing in VR1 Glenumbra, mixed hvy green/blue, mixed ranged and melee, 2-3 deaths and the bill was still only about 350 gold...
    So take heart, at least the bug is not sticky on your char :)
    I wonder if it's self correcting. That would probably make this even harder to pin down. Last time I logged in I noticed the damage wasn't as extreme as I was remembering, but, at the same time, I was mostly avoiding combat.
  • zeuseason
    zeuseason
    ✭✭✭
    Poll up on the crafting forums, voting FOR or AGAINST using crafting materials to repair your gear.

Check it out and vote!
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/90419/repair-gear-with-gathered-materials
  • Juponen
    Juponen
    ✭✭✭
    zeuseason wrote: »
    Poll up on the crafting forums, voting FOR or AGAINST using crafting materials to repair your gear.

Check it out and vote!
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/90419/repair-gear-with-gathered-materials

Wow, the people do have a solid, clear opinion on this!
  • Thrawniel
    Thrawniel
    ✭✭✭

This needs to change. They should only make gear break a little after deaths...when you actually did play badly.

As an archer, I can confirm. Just recently, walked from set station with pristine new gear, killed couple of wolves for skins before they could even reach me (so not single hit on gear), still got 126g repair costs upon talking to merchant to sell some junk that dropped form wolves together with skins.

Honestly, buying skins from farmers would be cheaper, they usually sell it for 10-15g per piece, not 40g per piece, as those skins ended up to cost me.

While I support repair costs for deaths as a form of penalty(though /stuck should be either free or much cheaper than regular kills, because I had to use it many times due to bugs, and paying for bugs, that were not my fault, was frustrating), I do not think gear should break on its own just from walking around and shooting things from the distance.

Maybe if you let mobs chew on your gear, it should take some damage as well to teach you to use ccs and blocks. But if person uses ccs, blocks and/or ranged weapons and does not get hit, why should they get their gear destroyed?

At lower levels it was not much of a problem, I usually outleveled gear before it was completely destroyed, so I changed it instead of repairs, but at 40+ with much slower leveling I'm really puzzled by all those repair costs from nowhere.
  • mark2472
    mark2472
    ✭✭✭

I don't know, from reading this thread one thing I've picked up on is that it could be damage dealt that damages your equipment. Turning in quests doesn't seem to damage armor. Avoiding getting hit seems to still result in gear decay. My guess is that they made it to where dealing damage decays your gear so that DPS decays their gear as much as the tank that's getting wailed on.

However, also from reading this entire thread, it appears that this is bugged in some instances. I don't seem to have terribly high repair bills. I can go out and quest for several hours and have like a 500g repair bill. I don't appear to be effected by this bug. I wouldn't be happy, either, if I went out adventuring for 30 mins without dying and had that same 500g+ repair bill.
  • babylon
    babylon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    mark2472 wrote: »

I don't know.

No it's definitely xp gained (when you kill a mob) that breaks our gear. Note this is not from handing in quests - gear breaks just killing mobs and gaining xp.

They need to change this, and just make it so only death damages our gear.
    Edited by babylon on April 30, 2014 2:14PM
  • mark2472
    mark2472
    ✭✭✭

I don't know, from reading this thread one thing I've picked up on is that it could be damage dealt that damages your equipment. Turning in quests doesn't seem to damage armor. Avoiding getting hit seems to still result in gear decay. My guess is that they made it to where dealing damage decays your gear so that DPS decays their gear as much as the tank that's getting wailed on.

However, also from reading this entire thread, it appears that this is bugged in some instances. I don't seem to have terribly high repair bills. I can go out and quest for several hours and have like a 500g repair bill. I don't appear to be effected by this bug. I wouldn't be happy, either, if I went out adventuring for 30 mins without dying and had that same 500g+ repair bill.

No it's definitely xp gained (when you kill a mob) that breaks our gear.

They need to change this, and just make it so only death damages our gear. Turning in quests does not damage our gear - it's killing mobs and gaining xp from killing mobs that damages our gear.

If it's xp gained, I don't understand how I get much armor decay at all in group dungeons. They don't even hardly give any xp, but without deaths I still get about the same repair bill I would have questing on my own.
  • Hrithmus
    Hrithmus
    ✭✭✭
    Any word on this yet? I dont see how this could take anymore then 15 minutes to check to see if it was working correctly?

Edited by Hrithmus on April 30, 2014 2:15PM
  • mark2472
    mark2472
    ✭✭✭
    Hrithmus wrote: »
    Any word on this yet? I dont see how this could take anymore then 15 minutes to check to see if it was working correctly?

I know, right?
  • babylon
    babylon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

They need to change this, and just make it so only death damages our gear. Turning in quests does not damage our gear - it's killing mobs and gaining xp from killing mobs that damages our gear.

If it's xp gained, I don't understand how I get much armor decay at all in group dungeons. They don't even hardly give any xp, but without deaths I still get about the same repair bill I would have questing on my own.

I don't think it's actual amount of xp, I think it's number of mobs killed. The gear becomes damaged when you kill the mob.

Like I said - I noticed and tested this when killing melee mobs I could knockdown and destroy from range, so they did not touch me at all.

When I killed them, I saw my gear lose a percent point overall (gear condition tracked using DuraMeter). I killed them one by one, so it was easy to track my gear condition after each kill. At no point did any of them touch me - I had them on the floor and dead before they even came close. My gear got broken simply because I had killed some mobs.

Edited by babylon on April 30, 2014 2:20PM
  • mark2472
    mark2472
    ✭✭✭

I don't think it's actual amount of xp, I think it's number of mobs killed. The gear becomes damaged when you kill the mob.

Yea, either way it definitely makes no sense... something needs to be fixed here.
  • vyal
    vyal
    ✭✭✭

Like I said - I noticed and tested this when killing melee mobs I could knockdown and destroy from range, so they did not touch me at all.

When I killed them, I saw my gear lose a percent point overall (gear condition tracked using DuraMeter). I killed them one by one, so it was easy to track my gear condition after each kill. At no point did any of them touch me - I had them on the floor and dead before they even came close. My gear got broken simply because I had killed some mobs.
    This would make sense, as when I kill rapidly in large quantities, that's when the repair bill is the highest, even with no deaths. So much for building to focus on AoE, eh? :P
  • babylon
    babylon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Yea, either way it definitely makes no sense... something needs to be fixed here.

What needs to be fixed is simple - gear should only get damaged if you die.
  • zamiel
    zamiel
    ✭✭✭
    It makes so much sense!

The sword plunged into the worm cultist's chest. He immediately collapsed coughing blood. xXxM0nst4k1ll3rxXx wiped the sweat off his forehead. 'There's that' - he said while continuing his way into the shirne's heart. He didn't even hear the quiet whisper leaving the half-dead cultist's mouth - 'I curse you, I curse you with my dying breath, may you fall into financial crysis!'. Loud cursing was heard from the direction xXxM0nst4k1ll3rxXx went - 'seriously now, this is the 5th chainmail pants that just fall off me'...
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zamiel wrote: »
    It makes so much sense!

The sword plunged into the worm cultist's chest. He immediately collapsed coughing blood. xXxM0nst4k1ll3rxXx wiped the sweat off his forehead. 'There's that' - he said while continuing his way into the shirne's heart. He didn't even hear the quiet whisper leaving the half-dead cultist's mouth - 'I curse you, I curse you with my dying breath, may you fall into financial crysis!'. Loud cursing was heard from the direction xXxM0nst4k1ll3rxXx went - 'seriously now, this is the 5th chainmail pants that just fall off me'...

Nanosuits, they're everywhere you want to wear pants... no, wait... that was weird...
  • mark2472
    mark2472
    ✭✭✭

I think it's ok for gear to get damaged some from fighting, but I think the way it is now is broken. Death should be the most damaging to your gear. Without dying, I would think you would be able to go a couple days without having to repair your gear, and then having a repair bill of maybe 500g. That would seem reasonable to me.
  • babylon
    babylon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I think it's ok for gear to get damaged some from fighting, but I think the way it is now is broken. Death should be the most damaging to your gear. Without dying, I would think you would be able to go a couple days without having to repair your gear, and then having a repair bill of maybe 500g. That would seem reasonable to me.

Maybe, but if they can't be bothered doing calculations that apply only when mobs actually hit you as opposed to the simple calculations they are doing currently (this being for example mob + mob + mob = 1% off the hat), then just make it so death takes off a flat percentage of gear durability.

• Gentlemanzack
    guys, running and interacting, riding horses do not damage your gear, however it seems like everyone always jump and fall beyond 3 or 4 meters. they get damaged. THIS affects gear durability. dying cost less, if you fall that often off rocks, building, or improv parkour in pvp. you will lose durability. I remembered when i saw my gear being damaged in pvp. This is how I realized. So, stop jumping off buildings.
  • mark2472
    mark2472
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe, but if they can't be bothered doing calculations that apply only when mobs actually hit you as opposed to the simple calculations they are doing currently (this being for example mob + mob + mob = 1% off the hat), then just make it so death takes off a flat percentage of gear durability.

Imo, they seem to be using the lazy way of doing lots of calculations. This is one example. Another example is how they do leveling up skills. It seems like they took the lazy way out and just made it to where each skill on your bar gets a portion of your xp gained instead of having skills level up based on use, independent of your leveling xp.

• Gillysan
    Gillysan
    ✭✭✭✭

Totally agree here. If going to take the simple route, then damage occurs on death only.

If going to get more complex, the only thing that makes sense is how much damage you take during combat. Instead of some simple percentage system the gear should have it's own HP values. Then take the following into consideration:
    Level difference to mob (I believe this already exists but as a simple Y/N)
    Quality rank of the gear
    Level of the player (at higher levels your expertise should have some mitigation or simply be a multiplier of the gears HP)
    Fall damage? (If you lose health only)
    Armor category - light vs medium vs heavy
    ...and I'm sure I'm missing a few factors.

TBH we don't know how exactly the current system even works.
  • Gillysan
    Gillysan
    ✭✭✭✭
    guys, running and interacting, riding horses do not damage your gear, however it seems like everyone always jump and fall beyond 3 or 4 meters. they get damaged. THIS affects gear durability. dying cost less, if you fall that often off rocks, building, or improv parkour in pvp. you will lose durability. I remembered when i saw my gear being damaged in pvp. This is how I realized. So, stop jumping off buildings.
    Are you another person skipping to the end and just posting an opinion? There is a bug in the works and different people are being affected differently. There are specific examples here of people taking damage in odd places and by odd amounts. Please read all 13 pages before you make a conclusion.