The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Antiquities System - Are you excited?

• Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Royaji wrote: »
    Elsonso wrote: »
    You can't just say
    I don't role play and I play every day.

And then proceed to describe how you are the very definition of a "roleplayer".
    I have a bunch of quests and achievements I have to do, and I have been taking time off of that to collect event tickets (even in Cyrodiil) and do some daily writs.

You've pretty much confirmed his point right there :wink:

You know that isn't role playing, right?

You know that "roleplaying" has multiple meanings, right?

Questing isn't roleplay.

You could think roleplay type thoughts while doing it, or do it with another player while both pretending to be in character, but that doesn't, automatically, make it roleplay.

Many people quest fairly mindlessly, without even reading the story properly (if at all).

Doing achievements is even further from roleplay.

Having to kill x of this, or do y quests in this region, is immersion-breaking, if anything.

It removes all the spontaneity.

It is, therefore, pretty much, the opposite of roleplay.
  • Nerouyn
    Nerouyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No I'm definitely not excited.

At this point we have nothing but vague details and this could go lots of different ways.

eg. antiquities could be used to counterbalance existing inequalities in the game across races and or classes. Dunmer obviously have a big advantage paired with vampires. Dunmer burning immunity and fire resistance take the sting out of vampire's susceptibility to fire, and negate the need for Dunmer to keep extra jewellery with fire resistance enchants.

I happen to like Dunmer and I think they also look great as vamps so this doesn't affect me negatively. But I doubt everyone feels the same way.

Ditto for Bosmer and werewolves.

Or Khajiit and their pickpocketing and stealth bonus.

If each of the playable races had an antiquity which could be tracked down and worn to give (while worn) their racial bonuses, that would make the game fairer and allow race to be more of a personal choice rather than dictated by their accursed passives.

Since only one antiquity can be worn at a time no-one could nuts with that. And the existing racials could remain. But this would be an enormous improvement.

Definitely not excited though because that's just a possibility I've imagined.

At this stage I'm just curious for more details.
    Edited by Nerouyn on January 29, 2020 6:04AM
  • Nerouyn
    Nerouyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tigerseye wrote: »
    Questing isn't roleplay.

They're right about it having multiple meanings though.

In ESO but no other game I've played, you're labeled a "roleplayer" if you choose a race whose passives aren't optimal for your chosen class and or role.

ESO is like roleplayers v calculator bunnies.
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I feel like the point is obvious about the role playing debate here.

You are playing a mmorpg which has Role Playing Game right in it.

So every time you play you are all role-playing.

Depends.

If you just think of it as you, in a game, doing things via an avatar of you - as opposed to you pretending to be some other character doing things - then, is it really roleplay?

Normally, roleplay (outside games) means pretending to be someone else, or someone with another job, or whatever.

It doesn't mean being you, even if it is being you in an unfamiliar world.
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    SydneyGrey wrote: »
    You can't just say
    I don't role play and I play every day.
    And then proceed to describe how you are the very definition of a "roleplayer".
    I have a bunch of quests and achievements I have to do, and I have been taking time off of that to collect event tickets (even in Cyrodiil) and do some daily writs.
    You've pretty much confirmed his point right there, paladin :wink:
    You don't seem to have a grasp on what people mean by "roleplay," Royaji. You can do questing and achievements and still not pretend you're the character you're playing in the game. That's not roleplaying. Roleplaying is pretending you ARE that character.

You don't seem to have a grasp on what other people may mean by "roleplaying".

Funny thing about words and language in general. They tend to be a living thing.

Doesn't really matter what a few people mean, if they are being unreasonable/clueless to the point of absurdity and most people don't agree with them.

Rolepay already has a definition.

Otherwise, people could decide to widen the meaning of every word, to the point that they all could mean far too many possible things and no one could describe what they meant, to anyone, with any accuracy, anymore.

Most people will reject that nonsense.

• Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Nerouyn wrote: »
    Questing isn't roleplay.

They're right about it having multiple meanings though.

In ESO but no other game I've played, you're labeled a "roleplayer" if you choose a race whose passives aren't optimal for your chosen class and or role.

ESO is like roleplayers v calculator bunnies.

It's not, though, because you might have chosen that race for reasons other than roleplay.

So, they would be wrong, in that case, to call you a "roleplayer".

You don't just have to accept people using words wrongly.

You can't stop them doing it, but you can and should reject it.
  • Nerouyn
    Nerouyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Normally, roleplay (outside games) means pretending to be someone else

Agree.
    , or someone with another job, or whatever.

Disagree in relation to the majority of RPGs and certainly ESO.

Not everyone would consider their real world occupation a part of their identity. It would just be an activity they perform in exchange for money so they can pay the bills and buy shiny things.

And most people wouldn't be saving all of reality from epic and arcane threats on a daily basis in the real world.
    It doesn't mean being you, even if it is being you in an unfamiliar world.

Agree but "you" is a complicated construct.

If someone acts out some part of their personality in a game which they want to but can't in the real world because there would be negative consequences (eg. because it would be a crime or they otherwise don't have that freedom), but do in a game, what's that?

Arguably role-playing in the real world but being themselves in the game.

eg. I was vegetarian and am now vegan, and don't love leather. At one point my housemates replaced their fabric couch with a leather one. I didn't cringe or complain and I sit on the awful thing. But in ESO - apart from briefly throwing down some of those ghastly dungeon stuffed heads to get the housing / furnishing achievements - my homes are leather free.

Apart from Snugpod, which I've always wished could be. Curse that flooring. It's why I've never bothered doing anything but throwing down crafting stations and assistants.

Speaking of, I have occasionally given permission for new players I encounter to use it if they don't access to their own or another home with amenities. One time such a player started getting a bit frisky. Which I'm not into. Especially a female character. I'm gay. Told this player that. She said she was really a he with a wife. And continued hitting on me.

Again I look at something like that and think that maybe they're being themselves in the game, but not in real life.
  • Nerouyn
    Nerouyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not, though, because you might have chosen that race for reasons other than roleplay.

So, they would be wrong, in that case, to call you a "roleplayer".

You don't just have to accept people using words wrongly.

You can't stop them doing it, but you can and should reject it.

I agree with your sentiment and in this case it has always seemed like "roleplayer" was hurled as some kind of deadly insult by the calculator bunnies who don't want ZO to take aways their precious racial passives.

i.e. troll behaviour.

But language is by definition a shared medium and dynamic. The meanings of words can change very dramatically over time.

This is a from a Sherlock Holmes book.

http://thetaleofsirbob.blogspot.com/2013/07/watson-and-other-excitable-characters.html
    In the bedroom he made a rapid cast around and ended by throwing open the window, which appeared to give him some fresh cause for excitement, for he leaned out of it with loud ejaculations of interest and delight.

Language can also be contextual.

For all that "roleplayer" might be hurled as a nasty and inaccurate insult, its misuse in that fashion is so common in these forums that I've expanded its definition to include that. Not that I use the word that way myself but I sensibly consider that to be the possible meaning when others use it.
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Everstorm wrote: »
    Like the idea but need to know more. I really hope it will be an Indiana Jones experience but to be honest that sounded way too ambitious to me.

I am not expecting rolling boulders, traps, and other obstacles like the Indiana Jones movies, by the way. I expect it will be a lot like the archeology profession in WoW, but WoW was the wrong game for something like that. ESO is a much better setting for an archeology-type system

I think that would be awesome though, no healing or potions allowed and you have to avoid all kinds of traps to reach the treasure alive.
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Questing isn't roleplay.

It isn't worth debating. The original quote that I commented on was clearly written to disparage the whole Antiquities system. The wording implies that it is abnormal for people get excited about ESO. The follow-up definition of "role playing" is so broad that it pretty much encompasses the majority of the player base. Possibly close to the entire player base, plus a huge block of players who don't even play ESO, yet.

With that definition of "role play" there is no reason to comment on "only role players are still excited about ESO", except to sort of agree. In principle. It is sort of like saying "water is wet".

Everstorm wrote: »
    Like the idea but need to know more. I really hope it will be an Indiana Jones experience but to be honest that sounded way too ambitious to me.

I am not expecting rolling boulders, traps, and other obstacles like the Indiana Jones movies, by the way. I expect it will be a lot like the archeology profession in WoW, but WoW was the wrong game for something like that. ESO is a much better setting for an archeology-type system

I think that would be awesome though, no healing or potions allowed and you have to avoid all kinds of traps to reach the treasure alive.

Yeah, but also a lot of work for them. I envision a system where they can just designate a plot of overland, or maybe some place in a delve, as a destination. No major rework needed, aside from possibly some small edits to the terrain. The minigame will handle the details. The minigame will be outside of the game world, and probably the same for each location, so that ZOS does not have to spend a lot of time customizing to a specific location.

If they are going to extend this into future DLC by adding a couple new target locations, they won't be adding anything in this system that requires a lot of extra time to implement in the game world. They already have the task of having to create items to find, and that will probably be plenty to keep them busy.

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Iccotak
    Iccotak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    While I want Spears as it's been 6 years and we have over 60 different motif styles

I like that they are adding a new system that encourages exploration of new and existing content.
    It's a fun way that makes old content new again.

Also 2020 is the year of balances and performance updates - so I am happy with what is happening for now
  • Vercingetorix
    Vercingetorix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Antiquities seems like a waste of time to be honest. I would rather have been given an Alteration Staff skill line for magicka tanking (and change Ice staves back to DPS). ZoS could have also added a 1H & Magic skill line for melee magicka characters. Those would have been game-changing additions that players could get excited for.
    “Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Antiquities seems like a waste of time to be honest. I would rather have been given an Alteration Staff skill line for magicka tanking (and change Ice staves back to DPS). ZoS could have also added a 1H & Magic skill line for melee magicka characters. Those would have been game-changing additions that players could get excited for.

The same sentiment was expressed for Housing, which is also a non-combat system. Not everything has to be about combat, and Housing turned out to be popular, and probably very profitable, for ZOS. It is surprising that they waited as long as they did, frankly.

I don't expect that Antiquities will be as popular as Housing, but it is definitely nice that they are doing stuff that is not related to combat and combat skills.
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The same sentiment was expressed for Housing, which is also a non-combat system. Not everything has to be about combat, and Housing turned out to be popular, and probably very profitable, for ZOS. It is surprising that they waited as long as they did, frankly.

I don't expect that Antiquities will be as popular as Housing, but it is definitely nice that they are doing stuff that is not related to combat and combat skills.

I'd like to point out that housing was a free feature. And it was released in Q1 slot, not as a part of any chapter.

It was not a major (and the only) novel feature of a new full-price chapter.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd like to point out that housing was a free feature. And it was released in Q1 slot, not as a part of any chapter.

It was not a major (and the only) novel feature of a new full-price chapter.

It is also heavily monetized. I am cautiously optimistic that the up-front cost of Antiquities might allow them to not monetize the hell out of it, like with Housing. Of course, I know who we are talking about here. The monetization people have nightmares and cold sweats about leaving coin on the table. There are probably therapists that specialize in calming them down when that happens.
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Yeah, but also a lot of work for them. I envision a system where they can just designate a plot of overland, or maybe some place in a delve, as a destination. No major rework needed, aside from possibly some small edits to the terrain. The minigame will handle the details. The minigame will be outside of the game world, and probably the same for each location, so that ZOS does not have to spend a lot of time customizing to a specific location.

If they are going to extend this into future DLC by adding a couple new target locations, they won't be adding anything in this system that requires a lot of extra time to implement in the game world. They already have the task of having to create items to find, and that will probably be plenty to keep them busy.

Mini-games are hard to get right if you ask me, the only one that stands out is the lockpicking mini-game in Oblivion. Often they are way too easy (like lockpicking in ESO) or extremely boring like fishing.

I hope we will get to visit new area's in search for treasure and that there will some sort of challenge. If you can just walk to the marker on the map the whole idea of a treasure hunt is kinda redundant.
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Mini-games are hard to get right if you ask me, the only one that stands out is the lockpicking mini-game in Oblivion. Often they are way too easy (like lockpicking in ESO) or extremely boring like fishing.

I hope we will get to visit new area's in search for treasure and that there will some sort of challenge. If you can just walk to the marker on the map the whole idea of a treasure hunt is kinda redundant.

While I am not expecting a marker above the location, I bet that it will be inside a white circle on the map, or something will glow, vibrate, or make sounds to you to let you know you are close.

We have treasure maps and surveys in the game, and people complain about them. On PC, there are addons that detect them and put them right on the map. On console, the players have to go out to Google to find the location. I have to wonder whether the frustration with finding them is the real reason people complain.

Broad appeal in a system like this will require location assistance or a lot of players will just throw their hands up in frustration.
  • xxthir13enxx
    xxthir13enxx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not gunna lie...
    I got bored of it by just reading this discussion
  • ZOS_Volpe
    ZOS_Volpe
    admin
    Greetings all,

We would like everyone to keep posts on the subject at hand, as well as civil and constructive.

Thank you for your understanding,
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Erissime
    Erissime
    ✭✭✭
    I really love it, yes I am excited, yes it is a very nice side thing of the game, and I loooooove it when developers try to put more into a game besides hack and slash , or fish. So congratulations overall, I think it fits, and for a psijic admirer - all that interface may be compared with their magic - and overall many associations can be done. Amazing idea! Now if only the server would go back up ... ahem :D
    And in a world about exploring it definitely adds nicely. Not everything out there is about "the best gear, the strongest fight". Also there are 2 new skill lines coming with this - not for fighters :smile:
    Edited by Erissime on May 26, 2020 9:20PM
  • richo262
    richo262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the items found go into collectibles and are not just junk to clutter inventory maybe.

If it ends up being just an excuse to clutter my inventory with shite then meh.

I don't see why it is 2 trees and not just 1 tree. Sounds like a skill point sink to me.

If I don't end up with inventory clutter, I'd give it a fair shot, if I do though, it simply won't be worth it TBH. The game already suffers from too much garbage as it is.
  • Erissime
    Erissime
    ✭✭✭
    I don't suppose the idea of " side thing" has been stressed enough. It's one of those things which simply makes the whole concept of exploration ( which exists nonetheless) more beautiful, and rewarding. Not in a particularly easy way, but neither as tedious as the whole maps hunt - so console players will have no problem discovering things. I did not play enough to know its rewards ( I just know some are furniture, and that's enough for me to get me going) - but I am fairly sure "the game" could exist without it - too. Fact is that eso is not just a simple game in which one logs to kill, and at the very best, craft some. It is an on-growing world in which many of the artistic and beautiful has a place, along with the creative. So fair warning - you want to just hack and slash, or get your hands on the best of items asap? -stay out of it, but do not discard it. Not everyone has the same frame of mind, and not everyone is against such things. So once more - congratulations so far - and make such things happen more often.
  • nk125x
    nk125x
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
  • fierackas
    fierackas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope
  • freespirit
    freespirit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I was one of the few..... very few..... lucky ones who actually got in to PC-EU this evening!

I spent the whole evening jumping around a very deserted Tamriel digging for treasure, first thoughts are "I love it!!"

Easy to suss out and fun to do, will definitely be doing more!

On the note of "deserted Tamriel" my guilds would normally have upwards of 600 people online of an evening, tonight there were less than 20 people over all of them!

Zone chat did not exist in any of the zones I went to except for in Western Skyrim :(
    When people say to me........
    "You're going to regret that in the morning"
    I sleep until midday cos I'm a problem solver!
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alcast wrote: »
    I made an article about all the stuff we know so far about the new Antiquities System. (In case I missed something please let me know, thanks!)
    https://alcasthq.com/eso-antiquities-system-guide-greymoor-chapter/

antiquities-system-greymoor-chapter-eso-800x283.jpg

What are your opinions about the Antiquities System, are you excited about it?

I'm looking forward to it personally.

One of my favorite things to do on ESO currently is go around collecting various doodads for my house. So anything that expands on that I'm going to enjoy. I just wish they would increase the furniture capacity for houses.
  • DracoSaggitaExSole
    DracoSaggitaExSole
    ✭✭✭
    I am looking forward to a a functional server, a non lagging Cyrodiil, a balanced CC mechanic in the game first. Than I think there is room for an other egg hunter feature to sink time in.
  • Castagere
    Castagere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems to be just another RNG grind system that I will avoid.
  • depravity_influence
    i havent done this already but its sounds really stupid. Fix the know problems before adding a new useless toll on an already broken game. this seems like something for players that have no clue how to play this game so they give them something to do. one of the dumbest new features in this game
  • Eirikir
    Eirikir
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I'm gonna craft some gold gear with speed traits and Stam recovery on every item, set my cp and star sign for speed then get that ring. Then im gonna start at one end of the open world and start running to see how fast I can get to the other side.

Server: PS4-NA
    PSN: Eirikir
    Name: Eirikir "Erik" Kololf
    Alliance: Ebonheart Pact
    Race: Nord (Lycanthrope)
    Class: Dragonknight (Range DPS)
    Playstyle: Crafter, PVE, PVP, Roleplayer