The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Antiquities System - Are you excited?

• OmniDo
    OmniDo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Hey Jay, look what I just dug up! It's a small figurine with some fat guy rubbing his belly."
    "Really? That must be super-rare and powerful!"

*Notices 123,456,789 other people with the same figurine while in town, all in line to pawn it off to a vendor*

Yeah, no.
    Edited by OmniDo on January 21, 2020 2:18PM
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    majulook wrote: »
    I am seeing this as a really long grind 2 complete skill lines for this could take a while (possibly worse than Jewelry Crafting).

With everything Bind on Pickup it could quickly become a storage nightmare, depending on what type of items can drop If everything that drops is some sort of unique Collectibles or Mementos, Mount, Costume item then maybe ok as those items currently are not stored in the item inventory. If not then those items should be available for trade / sale.

The whole BoP thing makes me wonder... If you get a the same item a second time what happens does it just disappear and you wasted your time?
    BoP is kind of bad simply as it make you want to keep it, same as weapons from dungeon sets since they are hard to get.
    An fear that this will be an massive grind as you mostly get other items.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • thissocalledflower
    thissocalledflower
    ✭✭✭
    is the antiquities system by definition antiquated? I mean we are using ayleid tech after all???
    After careful consideration (and oh! so much deliberation) we have concluded that you circumstance sounds too much like a l2p issue for it to be just a mere coincidence.
  • Finedaible
    Finedaible
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I dislike being pessimistic about announcements like this but I don't think the community's negativity is entirely unwarranted in this case based on past additions.

Like many new additions over the years from Transmutation, Psijic Skill-line, to Jewelry crafting, all these ideas were solid at their announcement but their implementation has generally been poor so it's hard to be optimistic these days. All of these new additions have been marred by some terrible inconvenience that just makes the experience... not fun. So, I'm not getting my hopes up and pre-ordering stuff just to be dissapointed again. I just hope I'm wrong this time.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alcast wrote: »
    I am mostly interested to see what the two skill-lines will do. iirc they are non-combat but hopefully they will also be useful outside of the Antiquities System.

That would be interesting. My impression is that they are limited to making antiquities tasks easier or more productive, though.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • skrvbb10rd
    skrvbb10rd
    ✭✭✭
    At the moment - no.
    If it turns out that there’s mythic glyphs - yes.

"get out of my swamp!" - Get-Out-My-Swamp, 2018.
  • Enemy-of-Coldharbour
    Enemy-of-Coldharbour
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    6d7a9c05-92d5-4387-bf74-ecb6d5f1c847.png
    Silivren (Silly) Thalionwen | Altmer Templar | Magicka | 9-Trait Master Crafter/Jeweler | Master Angler | PVE Main - Killed by U35
    Jahsul at-Sahan | Redguard Sorcerer | Stamina | Werewolf - Free Bites | PVP Main
    Derrok Gunnolf | Redguard Dragonknight | Stamina | Werewolf - Free Bites
    Liliana Littleleaf | 9-Trait Grand Master Crafter/Jeweler (non-combat)
    Amber Emberheart | Breton Dragonknight | Stamina | Master Angler
    Vlos Anon | Dunmer Nightblade | Magicka | Vampire - Free Bites
    Kalina Valos | Dunmer Warden | Magicka | Vampire - Free Bites
    Swiftpaws-Moonshadow | Khajiit Nightblade | Stamina
    Morgul Vardar | Altmer Necromancer | Magicka
    Tithin Geil | Altmer Sorceress | Magicka
    Dhryk | Imperial Dragonknight | Stamina

Guild Master - ESO Traders Union
    PC/NA - CP 2250+
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I just switched my monthly sub to a yearlong if that's any testimony.

In fairness, the driving reason behind me switching is because I intend to keep playing the game and it'll save money. Wish I would have been given a heads up when the yearly sub model was available on my platform, because it wasn't when I started subbing. Could have saved even more money over... however long ago they started making yearlong subs available. Oh well.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Starlock wrote: »
    Well, I just switched my monthly sub to a yearlong if that's any testimony.

I did too! Although, I switched to monthly to get the annual renewal away from the December holiday season. But, still... I just switched from monthly to annual, too! :smile:

• woufff
    woufff
    ✭✭✭✭
    Quite, not only about Skyrim landscapes to come (I love Eastmarch & Wrothgar) but also about two new non-combat skill lines :)

All that sounds quite cool B)
    PC/EU&NA - Redguard Nightblade - Grand Master Crafter - Explorer of Tamriel & Skyrim - Playing Starfield (and awaiting TES VI ^^)
  • Kelces
    Kelces
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I expect it to be extremely tedious and time consuming, if it is planned to be similar to archeology in another MMO I won't name. Some here can probably guess know which one I mean.
    You reveal yourself best in how you play.

Kelces - Argonian Templar
    Farel Donvu - Dark Elf Sorcerer
    Navam Llervu - Dark Elf Dragonknight
    Aniseth - Wood Elf Warden
    Therediel - Wood Elf Templar
    Nilonwy - Wood Elf Nightblade
    Jurupari - Argonian Warden
    Kú-Chulainn - Argonian Sorcerer
    PC - EU
    For the Pact!
  • Kimda
    Kimda
    ✭✭✭
    No. Emotes and furnitures, no thanks. This chapter feels so hollow. No new class, no character slots and vampire rework is base game change.

This will be the first chapter what I'm not buying, I can easily wait a year and play it when it have became a DLC.
  • Zatox
    Zatox
    ✭✭✭✭
    We dont have enough information yet, but Rich Lambert looks very excited about antiquities system
    jbb2qy0.png
  • luizpaulom17
    luizpaulom17
    ✭✭✭
    Only role players are still excited about ESO
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That is so not true. :smile:

I don't role play and I play every day. I have a bunch of quests and achievements I have to do, and I have been taking time off of that to collect event tickets (even in Cyrodiil) and do some daily writs.

I am totally looking forward to the Antiquities system because it is yet another thing that I can do instead of finishing up my quests! :smile: It will have loot and achievements, too!
  • Kendaric
    Kendaric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Given how tedious many of the newer systems in ESO are, I'm not really looking forward to it but maybe I'lll be pleasantly surprised and it's actually fun.
      PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!. Outfit slots not being accountwide is ridiculous given their price. PC EU/PC NA roleplayer and solo PvE quester
    • Royaji
      Royaji
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      You can't just say
      Elsonso wrote: »
      I don't role play and I play every day.

And then proceed to describe how you are the very definition of a "roleplayer".
      I have a bunch of quests and achievements I have to do, and I have been taking time off of that to collect event tickets (even in Cyrodiil) and do some daily writs.

You've pretty much confirmed his point right there, paladin :wink:
    • Elsonso
      Elsonso
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Royaji wrote: »
      You can't just say

I have a bunch of quests and achievements I have to do, and I have been taking time off of that to collect event tickets (even in Cyrodiil) and do some daily writs.

You've pretty much confirmed his point right there :wink:

You know that isn't role playing, right?

Edit: I get it. :smile: Those things are not "fun"... :disappointed: You really need to find a new game, dude.
      Edited by Elsonso on January 29, 2020 12:17AM
    • Royaji
      Royaji
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      You can't just say

You've pretty much confirmed his point right there :wink:

You know that isn't role playing, right?

You know that "roleplaying" has multiple meanings, right?
    • SydneyGrey
      SydneyGrey
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      You can't just say
      You don't seem to have a grasp on what people mean by "roleplay," Royaji. You can do questing and achievements and still not pretend you're the character you're playing in the game. That's not roleplaying. Roleplaying is pretending you ARE that character.
    • fxeconomisteb17_ESO
      It's the thing that gets me really excited ; the rest are meh. This thing seems to give more meaning to exploring, as that Spellcrafting was supposed to be.
      "Is it true her wounds healed on their own ? Yes" No s***, at 75% health regen penalty!

I was a vampire like you, but then I took an idea to the head...
    • Elsonso
      Elsonso
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      It's the thing that gets me really excited ; the rest are meh. This thing seems to give more meaning to exploring, as that Spellcrafting was supposed to be.

It will be interesting if parts of the game designed for spell crafting are used.

There were some early interviews about Spellcrafting which showed a lot more than ZOS shows today. I need to dig those up and look at them again.
    • Royaji
      Royaji
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      SydneyGrey wrote: »
      You can't just say
      You don't seem to have a grasp on what people mean by "roleplay," Royaji. You can do questing and achievements and still not pretend you're the character you're playing in the game. That's not roleplaying. Roleplaying is pretending you ARE that character.

You don't seem to have a grasp on what other people may mean by "roleplaying".

Funny thing about words and language in general. They tend to be a living thing.
    • fxeconomisteb17_ESO

It will be interesting if parts of the game designed for spell crafting are used.

There were some early interviews about Spellcrafting which showed a lot more than ZOS shows today. I need to dig those up and look at them again.

https://youtu.be/3LkeMacg-b0?t=3177
      "Is it true her wounds healed on their own ? Yes" No s***, at 75% health regen penalty!

I was a vampire like you, but then I took an idea to the head...
    • Elsonso
      Elsonso
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      SydneyGrey wrote: »

I frequently encounter people who have erroneously come across other definitions. It is like learning how to pronounce a word wrong, and then finding out much later how it is supposed to be pronounced. Their definition will always seem to be the right one, no matter how many times they use it wrong.

Collecting achievements, and other meta game activities like the event tickets, have never been considered role playing by anyone who knows what that term means. I suppose one could role play daily writs as a job. I have to ask why. Questing could be considered role playing. Our options are pretty limited in terms of questing in this game, so you pretty much have to role play whatever vision the quest writers had in mind. That is more like "roll" playing; not playing a role as much as exercising the game mechanics.

I started off this game with the idea of role playing, but left most of that baggage back at the last gate. I spend my time exercising the game systems. :sweat_smile:

@fxeconomisteb17_ESO There are better ones. The creative lead of the time basically walked everyone through how it worked in a pod cast interview.
    • TheNuminous1
      TheNuminous1
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I feel like the point is obvious about the role playing debate here.

You are playing a mmorpg which has Role Playing Game right in it.

So every time you play you are all role-playing.
    • Garpley
      Garpley
      ✭✭✭
      No, I'm not. But in a sense of, I am not excited about what this... weird shift in content delivery (lack of content?) is going to do to the community/loyal long-time players. As far as I can see it is not going to bring anything new to the game that people have been asking for, in fact it seems like it is bringing new things that people specifically don't want.

In previous expansions we have seen Warden + Vvardenfell, Psjic + Jewelry Crafting + Summerset, Necromancer + Elsweyr as the big draws.All things that people were ASKING for. Greymoor over all just seems... a little lazy. Now I will take that back if Antiquities has a use outside of ... just collecting antiquities. Im probably glossing over -revamping the vamp but imo thats not really 'anything new' either.
      PC NA AD
      Bregana - Healplar
      Vraeli - Magcro

Life on hard mode...
      Just plodding along
    • luizpaulom17
      luizpaulom17
      ✭✭✭

That is so not true. :smile:

I don't role play and I play every day. I have a bunch of quests and achievements I have to do, and I have been taking time off of that to collect event tickets (even in Cyrodiil) and do some daily writs.

I am totally looking forward to the Antiquities system because it is yet another thing that I can do instead of finishing up my quests! :smile: It will have loot and achievements, too!

U are a role player m8
      I can see U walking around doing quests with that fency pet U got from the clownstore
      I know U might not really role play but its the same in the end... I accept that this game is made for the ones like U, casuals who prefer single play experiences on MMOs, killing all the end game experience of it.
      Have fun!
      Edited by luizpaulom17 on January 29, 2020 4:16AM
    • Thevampirenight
      Thevampirenight
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      Well I'm getting the impression or theory when they introduce the new system we might become the assistant to the Elder Scrolls version of Indiana Jones. I'm wondering if that means we might be seeing a lot of this guy in the future.
      Spoilers for an npc in one of the new Dungeons. If you don't want to know who the npc is don't click on the spoiler.

Comparisons between Indiana Jones and the guy in the spoiler.
      3niq69.jpg
      You can get a good impression by just talking with him he doesn't like people who sell antiquities to the highest bidder.
      I'm wondering if hes the main Antiquities Quest Giver. For the New System.

5e004adb0b40ff51d4e6c4c3e79b1eea--teacher-memes-class-memes.jpg
      If you look at he might or maybe not somewhat resemble him. *Shrugs*
      Edited by Thevampirenight on January 29, 2020 6:30AM
      PC NA
      Please add Fangs to Vampires.
    • Tigerseye
      Tigerseye
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭
      I have no idea.

It sounds like something I could really like, if it is at least somewhat fun to do and you can find genuinely beautiful items to place in your home.

Alternatively, it could be totally dull to do and reward nothing I really like, or want.

Just don't know, yet...