Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

[MATH] PvP Defensive Set Comparison (Impreg, Brass, Pariah, Riposte, + more)

• Syiccal
    Syiccal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I might suggest that with the buff to shadow, etc that this patch trans is probably tbe bis back bar defensive set up on magplar
  • iRaivyne
    iRaivyne
    ✭✭✭
    Just wondering if there are any plans to add Buffer if the Swift at some point? I'm really enjoying Swift with Shadowrend right now. Thinking about trying pirate skeleton with Swift as well.
    Edited by iRaivyne on May 17, 2019 8:15PM
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    iRaivyne wrote: »
    Just wondering if there are any plans to add Buffer if the Swift at some point? I'm really enjoying Swift with Shadowrend right now. Thinking about trying pirate skeleton with Swift as well.

I’ve done the math myself on Swift. If I remember right it’s superior to light fortified brass if your resistances are under 16k I think it was.

So given opponents penetration it’s probably best if you’re under 26k with buffs up.

Upside is the 5 piece also effects bleeds. I love it, it’s been my go to defensive set for a while.
    Edited by Iskiab on May 17, 2019 10:24PM
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • Merlight
    Merlight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iskiab wrote: »
    I’ve done the math myself on Swift. If I remember right it’s superior to light fortified brass if your resistances are under 16k I think it was.

Damage taken percentage:
    Fortified Brass: (100 - (R + 2975 + 5170) / 660)
    Buffer of the Swift: (100 - (R + 2975) / 660) * 0.9

Where R is your resistance without respective set bonuses. Turns out Buffer of the Swift mitigates more damage than Fortified Brass when R < 11325.
    EU ‣ Wabbajack nostalgic ‣ Blackwater Blade defender ‣ Kyne wanderer
    The offspring of the root of all evil in ESO by DeanTheCat
    Why ESO needs a monthly subscription
    When an MMO is designed around a revenue model rather than around fun, it doesn’t have a long-term future.Richard A. Bartle
    Their idea of transparent, at least when it comes to communication, bears a striking resemblance to a block of coal.lordrichter
    ... in the balance of power between the accountants and marketing types against the artists, developers and those who generally want to build and run a good game then that balance needs to always be in favour of the latter - because the former will drag the game into the ground for every last bean they can squeeze out of it.Santie Claws
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Ah okay, I got a different number but I’ll go with yours. So in practical terms that means buffer of the swift mitigates more if your resistances are under 21k due to pen, plus it effects bleeds.

In CP pvp I have no idea, but no-CP pvp I’d say expect 10k or so pen. Pvp suffers from a bug infestation that reduces your resistances by just over 5k.
    Edited by Iskiab on May 18, 2019 1:47PM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah okay, I got a different number but I’ll go with yours. So in practical terms that means buffer of the swift mitigates more if your resistances are under 21k due to pen, plus it effects bleeds.

In CP pvp I have no idea, but no-CP pvp I’d say expect 10k or so pen. Pvp suffers from a bug infestation that reduces your resistances by just over 5k.

Might want to reconsider these assesments now that vulnerabilities subtract from things like buffer/minor protection. I did some dirty math with this in mind but no idea if my math is correct (looked only at the stat bonus against 15k dmg, 1.9 CHD modifer and basic 8% vulnerability).

Buffer of Swift:
    (2 items) Adds 1096 Max Magicka
    (3 items) Adds 2975 Physical Resistance
    (4 items) Adds 2975 Spell Resistance
    (5 items) Reduce damage taken from players by 10%.

CRIT(1.415 MOD):
    15000 *(1-(0)/100)*(1.5+(10/100)+(20/100)+(10/100)-(3300/68/100)) * (1+(8-10)/100) = 21220 * 0.98 (SPILLOVER FROM VUL/MIT)
    21220 * (0.98)*(0.9549)*(0.50) = 9928.

NO CRIT:
    15000 *(1-(0)/100) * (1+(8-10)/100) = 15000 * 0.98 (SPILLOVER FROM VUL/MIT)
    15000 * (0.98)* (0.9549) *(0.50) = 7018.
    About 53% total Mit.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'm guessing in 5.1 (with bleeds not bypassing armor any more and oblivion damage only good against high HP builds) Swift is now below Brass, Armor Master and Pariah again?
    EU | PC | AD
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Maulkin wrote: »
    I'm guessing in 5.1 (with bleeds not bypassing armor any more and oblivion damage only good against high HP builds) Swift is now below Brass, Armor Master and Pariah again?

Depends on how onslaught works. If onslaught bypasses mitigation for just using it I don’t think I’d use a mitigation set.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Depends on how onslaught works. If onslaught bypasses mitigation for just using it I don’t think I’d use a mitigation set.

It would only bypass Resistance not all sources of mitigation, and if that is the case then indeed Swift would beat any Resistance based mitigation set if that become commonly used. However if it does not become common or if it does not give you that amount of penetration for that duration then I can see the resistance sets might outdo Buffer of the swift as it would stack additive with existing resistance and would not be used in a subtractive way against vulnerabilities, which lowers the effectiveness of many mitigation sources when applied.
  • kaithuzar
    kaithuzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @paulsimonps
    Can you please explain, or link, how nightblade merciless resolve/assassin’s will mitigation is added into the equation & in what way does that effect another % based mitigation such as buffer of the swift vs how it affects normal resistance stacking mitigation? (Trying to determine which defensive set is more optimal for nightblades running merciless)
    Member of:
    Fantasia - osh kosh b-josh
    Just Chill - Crown's house
    GoldCloaks - Durruthy test server penga
    Small Meme Guild - Mano's house

Former member of:
    Legend - Siffer fan boy club
    TKO (tamriel knight's order) - free bks
    Deviance - Leonard's senche tiger
    Purple - hamNchz is my hero
    Eight Divines - myrlifax stop playing final fantasy
    WKB (we kill bosses) - turd where you go?
    Arcance Council - Klytz Kommander
    World Boss - Mike & Chewy gone EP
    M12 (majestic twelve) - cult of the loli zerg
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know, for me Onslaught is nowhere near as prevalent as Dragon Leap, DBoS and even the nerfed Incap in BGs. And I don't really see that changing dramatically. Cheap AoE burst + Stun is very potent and while Onslaught has the burst it does not have the stun. Great for duels perhaps but no for team play.

So in my context I see Pariah and Armor Master being clearly superior to Swift next patch.
    EU | PC | AD
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know, for me Onslaught is nowhere near as prevalent as Dragon Leap, DBoS and even the nerfed Incap in BGs. And I don't really see that changing dramatically. Cheap AoE burst + Stun is very potent and while Onslaught has the burst it does not have the stun. Great for duels perhaps but no for team play.

So in my context I see Pariah and Armor Master being clearly superior to Swift next patch.

Have you not seen the proposed changes to onslaught? Its so good im gonna run 2h on some mag characters of mine.
  • Insco851
    Insco851
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EtTuBrutus wrote: »

Have you not seen the proposed changes to onslaught? Its so good im gonna run 2h on some mag characters of mine.

Curious how Pariah is going to work against onslaught. Could see it being a buggy oversight as well..
  • No_Division
    No_Division
    ✭✭✭
    Insco851 wrote: »

Curious how Pariah is going to work against onslaught. Could see it being a buggy oversight as well..

Will be bad lol. You'll be better off grabbing stats after hitting 21-25k resists with mitigation. They overnerfed defense through changing of mitigation and buffing of offensive stats
  • SodanTok
    SodanTok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Will be bad lol. You'll be better off grabbing stats after hitting 21-25k resists with mitigation. They overnerfed defense through changing of mitigation and buffing of offensive stats

Lol, overnerfed defenses. Keep believing.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    SodanTok wrote: »

Think not? I have no idea how to change my spec after the patch.

As a pvp healer if there’s a good way to get defense I’d love to know how. Thinking of trying to stack % mitigation sources, health and sustain and tanking resistances, I guess it depends on what others do. If everyone’s running around with a 2hander it - might - work, I’m not sure.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • No_Division
    No_Division
    ✭✭✭

As a pvp healer if there’s a good way to get defense I’d love to know how. Thinking of trying to stack % mitigation sources, health and sustain and tanking resistances, I guess it depends on what others do. If everyone’s running around with a 2hander it - might - work, I’m not sure.

It's because he's confusing block with defense sets lol. Everything mentioned here all gives you like 70-79% mitigation while blocking lol.
  • SodanTok
    SodanTok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Oh so in a game where nearly every defensive option is twice as better than offensive, you are struggling to find good way to get defenses? Did I get it right :D
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Oh so in a game where nearly every defensive option is twice as better than offensive, you are struggling to find good way to get defenses? Did I get it right :D

How so? The best defense are all class abilities, it has nothing to do with sets. Sure you can try to stack mitigation after the patch but onslaught will be 100% pen.

Everyone whined so now max stats look to be the way to go, which is okay but burst will be out of control.

There’ll be nothing worthwhile defensively except for a couple sets that give major protection or % mitigation.

I swear, most of the problems with the game are from players crying when they have no clue what they’re talking about. The game would probably be better if they shut down the forums.
    Edited by Iskiab on July 27, 2019 5:20PM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • No_Division
    No_Division
    ✭✭✭

The defenses aren't twice as good as offense options because everyone gets 50% reduction from BS. You'll go from 50% to 56-58% in nCP and 60 to 68-70% in CP total mitigation. Which is at most 6-9% depending on your defensive set choice.

Most offensive options move your tooltips 6% and there are offensive options that don't require a way to waste a 5pc, mainly swords/buffs/mace's/5pc armor weights, etc. Like a sword will then turn my tooltip example into a 15% gain with only one 5pc. But if I wanted to do the same in defense I need ways to sustain block and waste another 5pc to gather enough defense to push from 70% to 78-80% which is half that of the offense option+sword.

If you follow the forumla, you'll turn a 15k attack into a 5-6k and that's still ALOT of DMG for running 1pc defense. If defense was OP, that number would be 2-3k off 1set and you wouldn't have terribads complaining about 40kstst/5kdmg outhealing their DMG even though they have enough stats to be competitive.

TLDR; DMG/healing too high for the defense sets to be considered meta.
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

How so? The best defense are all class abilities, it has nothing to do with sets. Sure you can try to stack mitigation after the patch but onslaught will be 100% pen.

Everyone whined so now max stats look to be the way to go, which is okay but burst will be out of control.

There’ll be nothing worthwhile defensively except for a couple sets that give major protection or % mitigation.

I swear, most of the problems with the game are from players crying when they have no clue what they’re talking about. The game would probably be better if they shut down the forums.

Just a small reminder that mitigation =/= resistance. There is plenty of mitigation options that can not be penetrated by anything, onslaught included. But obviously they often have lower up time or bad requirements than simple resistance increase. Also many mitigation sources outside of resistance is not being subtracted from vulnerabilities(which are more common now) and lose some of its value through that.
    Edited by paulsimonps on July 27, 2019 10:43PM
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Just a small reminder that mitigation =/= resistance. There is plenty of mitigation options that can not be penetrated by anything, onslaught included. But obviously they often have lower up time or bad requirements than simple resistance increase. Also many mitigation sources outside of resistance is not being subtracted from vulnerabilities(which are more common now) and lose some of its value through that.

True, but most of the sources of protection or evasion are tied to class or guild skills. It’s not of much of an issue if you’re stam, but for mag there are less options.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • ChefZero
    ChefZero
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Taylor_MB Why didn't you consider of Bastion of the Heartlands in this thread?
    PC EU - DC only
  • chrightt
    chrightt
    ✭✭✭✭
    ChefZero wrote: »
    @Taylor_MB Why didn't you consider of Bastion of the Heartlands in this thread?

Basically quite inferior if you’re not getting hit by siege weapons. Heavily leans towards negating AoE dmg which means you get crapped on by single target classes (stam classes in general, magsorc, actually just about everything other than magplar that jabs all day)
  • ChefZero
    ChefZero
    ✭✭✭✭
    Basically I'm talking about the 5% mitigation and the AoE mitigation and I have to contradict you. Most sources of damage you take comes from AoE no matter if regular pressure or ulti dumps. And with the changes to the meta ult onslaught it should also been affected by the AoE mitigation.
    PC EU - DC only
  • chrightt
    chrightt
    ✭✭✭✭
    Basically I'm talking about the 5% mitigation and the AoE mitigation and I have to contradict you. Most sources of damage you take comes from AoE no matter if regular pressure or ulti dumps. And with the changes to the meta ult onslaught it should also been affected by the AoE mitigation.

Uh let’s not waste time reviving an old thread. I guess you’re the Zerg and I’m the guy 1vXing you guys down so AoE damage?... not that important. Onslaught’s primary target is still a single target iirc, it just deals splash damage to enemies around. If you want to sure, go ahead and run it. The set bonus is just not very appealing for (seems like 99% of the player base too) me so I’ve never seen anyone run it and I doubt I’ll have trouble fighting anyone who runs it so.... there you go.

P.S. In a situation where half your damage is AoE then you’re effectively reducing damage by roughly 15% on average against players. That is pretty much wizard’s riposte. Also, you can just get shuffle if needed.
    Edited by chrightt on September 16, 2019 3:38PM
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    chrightt wrote: »

Uh let’s not waste time reviving an old thread. I guess you’re the Zerg and I’m the guy 1vXing you guys down so AoE damage?... not that important. Onslaught’s primary target is still a single target iirc, it just deals splash damage to enemies around. If you want to sure, go ahead and run it. The set bonus is just not very appealing for (seems like 99% of the player base too) me so I’ve never seen anyone run it and I doubt I’ll have trouble fighting anyone who runs it so.... there you go.

P.S. In a situation where half your damage is AoE then you’re effectively reducing damage by roughly 15% on average against players. That is pretty much wizard’s riposte. Also, you can just get shuffle if needed.

Nearly all burst combos include 1 or more aoe components. The effectiveness of this set is underrated. Ive used it on my dk before this dot meta and it is a hidden gem for small group tower farming zergs.

It fills its niche very well imo