Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Encounter Logging

ZOS_BobbyWeir
ZOS_BobbyWeir
✭✭✭
With the release of Elsweyr, we're adding the capability for PC players to export group based encounter logs to a local file, located in the Logs folder within your Elder Scrolls Online document folder. These logs can then be uploaded to https://www.esologs.com/, a website created by one of our community members, https://twitter.com/KihraOfTemerity. Here you can do a deep dive into logged combat events within your group to see things like damage, healing, resource usage, and much more.

To start an encounter log, enter "/encounterlog" into chat (without the quotes). Once you're finished, you can type "/encounterlog" a second time to disable logging. You'll see a system message each time letting you know if you've started logging or stopped it. You will need an account on https://www.esologs.com/ and the uploader available there to view your group's logs.

You may remember that years ago, our addon API unintentionally allowed the ability to show group combat data in real time. While we saw a merit in this as tool, we disabled that capability due to the potential for misuse with having this information readily accessible in the game and in real time. Encounter logging provides a deep look into the same data, but external to the game and not in true real time. We believe these distinctions will swing the balance back towards using a tool like this for constructive purposes rather than nefarious ones. Additionally, we have added a setting located in the Combat settings menu that hides your character name from encounter logs. This means any combat events that are logged while you are present will display anonymously.

Uploading your encounter logs privately will be available on PTS, so please feel free to generate and submit encounter logs for the new Sunspire Trial or any of the dungeons. We'll also be giving an overview of the tool tomorrow on ESO Live, so please post any questions you have that you'd like for us to answer.
Bobby Weir
Lead UI Designer, The Elder Scrolls Online
Staff Post
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is the anonymous flag the way people opt out of this? Not sure if that us enough as 3 players are being logged, it is pretty easy to figure out the 4th by interpolation. Or, if we opt out, not stats are gathered?

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a very interesting way to implement this!

Are there any plans for something comparable for consoles, even as simple as something like FTC or Combat Metrics to display individual DPS counters?
  • Trinity_Is_My_Name
    Trinity_Is_My_Name
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, very nice! Thank you. Just created my account and installed the Client.
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, that's nice. What data will be included, specifically? Is there any documentation? Wondering if this could replace the custom combat logging that I'm currently using, so more details would be useful.
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    be really easy to determine the person whom flagged himself as anonymous, especially if is only 4 members in the group and only 1 is flagged anonymous.
    that's not cool.
  • Masel
    Masel
    Class Representative
    This tool is amazing, i can tell you guys that much! We've seen it in action and it is so good :smile:
    PC EU

All Trial Trifecta Titles Done!

Youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVEG6ckuAgGs5OyA6VeisA
  • templesus
    templesus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sounds like an amazing tool! For the people who are afraid of their DPS being seen, don’t be! It’s just a game. Don’t ruin this for the rest of us!
    Edited by templesus on April 11, 2019 3:47PM
  • templesus
    templesus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @ZOS_BobbyWeir any plans for a console port?
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gilvoth wrote: »
    be really easy to determine the person whom flagged himself as anonymous, especially if is only 4 members in the group and only 1 is flagged anonymous.
    that's not cool.

Since you have to check stats after the dungeon, I'd expect this to be the sort of tool that organized or guild groups use, not randoms.

It's also much more useful for trials, where you have progression and leaderboards. Again, in an organized or guild group that's most likely to actually use this, I'd expect those players already do DPS tests and are comfortable with testing themselves in the group.

Now, that's not to say there's not Some room for concern. Its possible someone could be frustrated with low DPS, look at the stats afterward, and use that to be toxic to the low performer. However, that's entirely possible right now without needing the specific numbers. This is certainly a huge improvement over when players got that info in real time.
  • ZeroXFF
    ZeroXFF
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Real time info would be much more interesting.
  • Universe
    Universe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This tool will only increase the already high elitism which exists in ESO.
    I know you've worked hard on this tool and it is appreciated, but it will not be a good idea to implement it.
    Some videos I recorded for fun: Main character:
    PC EU main: Universe - AD magicka Sorcerer, Former Emperor, Grand Overlord, The Merciless, Trial Bosses Solo Champion
    Top alts: Genius(stamina/sagicka Dragonknight) The Force(stamina Nightblade) and other chars.
    PC NA main: The Magic - AD magicka Sorcerer
    Started playing ESO in beta & early access
    User_ID: Daedric_Prince
  • Baertram
    Baertram
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds nice. Thanks for the effort.
    Nestor wrote: »
    Is the anonymous flag the way people opt out of this? Not sure if that us enough as 3 players are being logged, it is pretty easy to figure out the 4th by interpolation. Or, if we opt out, not stats are gathered?

This would be interesting for me as well.

+

Is this flag checked by default in the settings? If not, please do so. So other users starting a log before we check this checkbox (maybe we forget for weeks because we did not read this here) won't publish our character name etc. on the website and we do not even know.

Talked to "KihraOfTemerity" about the website:
    Uploaded logfiles will contain the characternames if the checkbox ingame was not checked during creation of the logfiles. Still open: The question above about not all in group allow the logging of their data).

You are able to contact the website to NOT show your characternames as long as you are able to validate these are your characters (I do not know how to do this but I gues there is a way).
    This can be done via e-mail without registering at the website or create an acocunt there and exclude your charatcer names.
    Names in created log files will be still in but if they get uploaded these names will show as "Anonymous".
    Edited by Baertram on April 11, 2019 4:29PM
  • Nifty2g
    Nifty2g
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Universe wrote: »
    This tool will only increase the already high elitism which exists in ESO.
    I know you've worked hard on this tool and it is appreciated, but it will not be a good idea to implement it.
    In actuality doubt people will care about dungeons enough to go upload and look at the site through everything. This will mostly be a tool on trial groups, which there with 11 other people if you're not in an organised group I doubt majority of them will be bothering with something like this, so you'll have maybe 8 anonymous players.

So honestly I doubt this will increase "elitism" in the game. Besides almost every other game tracks data with in depth stats, it's a tool that will help overall in the future. I'm glad eso is embracing something like this finally.
    #MOREORBS
  • Nifty2g
    Nifty2g
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    that's not cool.
    Doubt you are going to be running into 3 people who use LFG and will read all the data possible on the website after each run. Calm down a little bit lol
    #MOREORBS
  • ArtOfShred
    ArtOfShred
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_BobbyWeir

Is this is going to result in any changes to the API for addon developers - or is this logging going to be done on the C+ end of things and only be exported to data that can be read outside the game?
    Edited by ArtOfShred on April 11, 2019 4:29PM
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »

I concur.

Raid groups can and will require players to opt into this just as on PC they can and do require players to post or link their dps on boss fights. It is very legitimate for them to do so.

However, when looking past that limited situation it may not be enough for a player to remove their names. Not just in 4 man, but even a random 12 man if everyone but one player has their name available then it is clear who the last player is.

I think the overall idea is great. If it is done right it can help raid leaders help everyone improve, help healers and tanks improve the uptime of their buffs and more though I do suggest the anonymity is not sufficient based on what is explained and certainly not inline with the philosophy Zos has stated they have for the game. The lack of ability to inspect a player is a good example of Zos' philosophy.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nifty2g wrote: »
    that's not cool.
    Doubt you are going to be running into 3 people who use LFG and will read all the data possible on the website after each run. Calm down a little bit lol

Maybe and maybe not. I agree it is not likely but even your comment suggests it could happen. That alone is sufficient for raising the red flag.
  • Dragonnord
    Dragonnord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    What about the players that want NO stuff/stats of them logged/saved anywhere when going to trials or so?

Edited by Dragonnord on April 11, 2019 4:52PM
    SERVER: NA | PLATFORM: PC | OS: Windows 10 | CLIENT: Steam | ESO PLUS: Yes
  • mateosalvaje
    mateosalvaje
    ✭✭✭✭
    I play on console so this doesn't pertain to me, but I think it's an amazing feature! 😁 The ESO team really does go above and beyond to create an enjoyable experience.
    I've been wrong before, and I'll be wrong again.
  • Nifty2g
    Nifty2g
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    that's not cool.

Maybe and maybe not. I agree it is not likely but even your comment suggests it could happen. That alone is sufficient for raising the red flag.
    Who cares though, I don't see why this is a bad thing to begin with.

If people are scared of so called elitists seeing their data, it's not like they are going to be playing with them to begin with, there are countless ways to tell someone is not up to standards in a group. Set your stuff as anonymous and be done with it if someone goes and looks at the data after a dungeon what does that matter to you? Even just using combat metrics you can already tell if you are pulling more weight than someone else by looking at the dps %.

I truly just don't see anything wrong with something like this, and if it comes down to you being scared people will see how bad you are playing, they probably already know just by looking at the skills you cast or the dps % they are doing.

Good for ZOS to embrace tracking tools.
    #MOREORBS
  • templesus
    templesus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I hope ZOS continues down this path. Most standard MMOs have basic inspect systems, as well as APIs that allow for player’s characters to be ported to external websites for everyone to view. It’s always been a good way for lower to middle geared players to take a look at some of the guys with better gear and get guidance on good setups to run. It also goes a long way to create some more competition amongst endgame players! Keep it up ZOS!
    Edited by templesus on April 11, 2019 5:07PM
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    that's not cool.

If people are scared of so called elitists seeing their data, it's not like they are going to be playing with them to begin with, there are countless ways to tell someone is not up to standards in a group. Set your stuff as anonymous and be done with it if someone goes and looks at the data after a dungeon what does that matter to you? Even just using combat metrics you can already tell if you are pulling more weight than someone else by looking at the dps %.

I truly just don't see anything wrong with something like this, and if it comes down to you being scared people will see how bad you are playing, they probably already know just by looking at the skills you cast or the dps % they are doing.

Your objection to a true opt out is without merit or basis other than generalizations you have posted in this thread. It makes no sense that someone would object so strongly to a true opt out as you are.

The benefit of having a good analysis tool is irrelevant as any core raid group or guild can require opting in for their runs. In other words, it does not hurt you and is not a big deal that Zos should add it.

Certainly you have not provided any worthy reasoning why it should not be added.

BTW, I have already clearly stated the analysis tool can be very beneficial. I think it could be more beneficial than a screen shot from an addon.
    Edited by idk on April 11, 2019 5:13PM
  • Asmael
    Asmael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm currently skeptical of this tool as it is.

I mean, PC already has access to addons to evaluate combat performance and track literally all buffs and debuffs, coming with a full combat log and whatnot, so this feature sounds like a more official version of Combat Metrics / w/e you are using to track combat events.

What is Zos' goal with this, if you have any? As it is, the only possible use I could see that has not been covered yet would be to have the full combat logs for specific fights when issues occur when reporting bugs, but this then depends on the level of logs enabled. Don't you already have logs for different encounters? Is the goal to alleviate server-side logging by making bug reporting more specific?

I'd like to know whether it's going to be worth logging encounters to post those on this website as additional debugging data or not.
    PC EU - Zahraji of the Void, aka "Kitty", the fluffiest salmon genocider in town.
    Poke @AsmaeI (last letter is uppercase "i") on PC EU or Asmael#9325 on Discord and receive a meow today.
  • Baertram
    Baertram
    ✭✭✭✭
    that's not cool.

You seem not to care about it but there definately are users. Not everyone might be playing raids. Casual gamers do not want to have their data collected and there are other games who care and just don't want it to happen, just because... :-)

I guess just because you do not care about it there should not be no way to disable this for each player. and the group just needs to live with it then that no data is collected from these flagged players. If you want to improve it's more about your own data and you can log what you want, so everyone should be fine.

If one is playing raid content one will most probabyl need to enable and use it, which imo is a good way to improve the group play.
    Edited by Baertram on April 11, 2019 5:18PM
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Asmael wrote: »

I mean, PC already has access to addons to evaluate combat performance and track literally all buffs and debuffs, coming with a full combat log and whatnot, so this feature sounds like a more official version of Combat Metrics / w/e you are using to track combat events.

What is Zos' goal with this, if you have any? As it is, the only possible use I could see that has not been covered yet would be to have the full combat logs for specific fights when issues occur when reporting bugs, but this then depends on the level of logs enabled. Don't you already have logs for different encounters? Is the goal to alleviate server-side logging by making bug reporting more specific?

I'd like to know whether it's going to be worth logging encounters to post those on this website as additional debugging data or not.

Without seeing the tool the goal seems to be to give us a good analysis tool. If it is done right we should be able to see when buffs/debuffs begin and end and other actions to increase uptime and improve effectiveness of the group.

If it is group only it would only help regular teams and possibly checking real raid dps for new guild members to assess their skill level and possible assistance to help them improve. Especially if one players contribution could be isolated. It would require being able to scroll through the data.

If it can be done even when solo it could offer the same benefits to someone working out nuances for their own build.

Again, this is if it is done right.
  • Nifty2g
    Nifty2g
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    that's not cool.

no sense that someone would object so strongly to a true opt out as you are.
    In other tracking tools games offer I haven't seen one before that gives you an option to hide all your stats from trackers other than being anonymous. It's probably how the api works with something like this. So with the knowledge of that, why argue against it knowing it likely wouldn't be possible to have true opt out.
    Edited by Nifty2g on April 11, 2019 5:26PM
    #MOREORBS
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    that's not cool.

no sense that someone would object so strongly to a true opt out as you are.
    In other tracking tools games offer I haven't seen one before that gives you an option to hide all your stats from trackers. It's probably how the api works with something like this. So with the knowledge of that, why argue against it knowing it likely wouldn't be possible to have true opt out.

I have seen it where one had to opt in for their information to be counted in the groups information.

If Zos thought this through properly it would have not been that hard to build the opt in requirement.
    Edited by idk on April 11, 2019 5:29PM
  • Nifty2g
    Nifty2g
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Without seeing the tool the goal seems to be to give us a good analysis tool. If it is done right we should be able to see when buffs/debuffs begin and end and other actions to increase uptime and improve effectiveness of the group.

If it is group only it would only help regular teams and possibly checking real raid dps for new guild members to assess their skill level and possible assistance to help them improve. Especially if one players contribution could be isolated. It would require being able to scroll through the data.

If it can be done even when solo it could offer the same benefits to someone working out nuances for their own build.

If you look through the creators previous projects & websites the analysis is probably going to look exactly like this for fight data

https://www.fflogs.com/reports/tZyCpRMz7wkcDmrL#fight=21&type=summary
    #MOREORBS
  • xMovingTarget
    xMovingTarget
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    https://advancedcombattracker.com/

^ I loved this tool back in Age of Conan. Probably getting a plugin for ESO logs too
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If you look through the creators previous projects & websites the analysis is probably going to look exactly like this for fight data

https://www.fflogs.com/reports/tZyCpRMz7wkcDmrL#fight=21&type=summary

On a group level the information is fine and not significantly different than what I have seen in other games (that required opting in). I would hope it provides more information than that as data for buffs and debuffs is critical for understanding what one is actually seeing. Otherwise we still need combat metrics screen shots to see if healers and tanks have room for improvement with buffs/debuffs uptime.

I am assuming this permits a player to log their own data and upload it to see what is happening when they have changes in their own dps. If not then that is room for improvement as it could offer more information than CM can.