Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Wood Elf/ Bosmer losing stealth passive, An open letter.

• Cundu_Ertur
    Cundu_Ertur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Blinkin8r wrote: »
    I wanted to get in some playtime on my Bosmer Stamblade before commenting here. This has been my main toon for years and I was definitely nervous when I saw they were changing their passives.
    Pre Wrathstone: My Bosmer Stamblade cleared all Craglorn HM's, VAS, VMOL, VHOF, and achieved Flawless Conqueror, and was a solid player in Cyrodiil.
    Since Wrathstone: I've done all of those things and I'm still loving it in Cyrodiil. The extra penetration and speed after roll dodge is pretty niche but I'm loving it. For end game content at least, Bosmer is in a better place than it was before.

Now if you're on a Bosmer that isn't a nightblade, you may have slightly more difficulty than before doing DB sacraments, thieves guild heists, and pickpocketing maybe. But if you've trying those on any race on a non nightblade I'd recommend Invis, Speed pots. They're in the game, use them.

The only other reason I see people complaining about this passive change is lore. In other games, Bosmer are sneaky. This isn't other games. Zos runs it, they write the lore, they decide how different races will perform and if you don't like it and want to play a game where Bosmer get stealth passives, go play that game.

Overall I think Bosmer benefited greatly from this change and am very happy with where it is.

I love how you didn't mention stealth detection anywhere:)

I think even the people who like the changes as a whole have to admit the detection is crap. And you know, I like the other two passives (though I understand and support the Argonians who want their poison resistance back). I've never denied that they made things better for Bosmer. However, this does not change the undeniable fact that the third passive is very weak in its second part (the roll dodge shenanigans, @wedgebert has deconstructed that nicely) and utterly useless in its first part (the detection nerf garbage).
    Taking stealth away from the Bosmer is like taking magic away from the Altmer, making Nords allergic to mead, or making Orcs pretty.
  • Blinkin8r
    Blinkin8r
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wanted to get in some playtime on my Bosmer Stamblade before commenting here. This has been my main toon for years and I was definitely nervous when I saw they were changing their passives.
    Pre Wrathstone: My Bosmer Stamblade cleared all Craglorn HM's, VAS, VMOL, VHOF, and achieved Flawless Conqueror, and was a solid player in Cyrodiil.
    Since Wrathstone: I've done all of those things and I'm still loving it in Cyrodiil. The extra penetration and speed after roll dodge is pretty niche but I'm loving it. For end game content at least, Bosmer is in a better place than it was before.

Now if you're on a Bosmer that isn't a nightblade, you may have slightly more difficulty than before doing DB sacraments, thieves guild heists, and pickpocketing maybe. But if you've trying those on any race on a non nightblade I'd recommend Invis, Speed pots. They're in the game, use them.

The only other reason I see people complaining about this passive change is lore. In other games, Bosmer are sneaky. This isn't other games. Zos runs it, they write the lore, they decide how different races will perform and if you don't like it and want to play a game where Bosmer get stealth passives, go play that game.

Overall I think Bosmer benefited greatly from this change and am very happy with where it is.

The stealth detection passive is as worthless in any end game content as the argonian super swimmers and the Khajiit's pickpocket chance. Imo passives like these are simply there to add flavor to that race. Why Zos decided to change this one; don't know, don't care as it hasn't changed a single aspect of the game as far as I'm concerned.
    II Blinkin II
    Xbox 1 NA
    "A man without the sauce is lost, but the same man can become lost in the sauce."
  • Korlian
    Korlian
    ✭✭
    Ratzkifal wrote: »
    Korlian wrote: »
    Has anyone even found a way to play stealth close to before this change? Is it even possible? (I'm not racechanging to Khajiit, ever.)
    I did the grind, grind, grind for night mother's embrace gear in Deshaan and kept my Night Silence gear for my two stamina Bosmer, and got Night Terror jewelry from Stonefalls with Shadow Dancer gear from Greenshade and 4 bits of Magnus' Gift for my goofy hybrid. That gets them all about 2/3 of what they would have before.

And what did you have to sacrifice? Are you still able to i.e. play solo with bow/dagger? Or are you squishy now? Powerless? Or close to the same as with the gear you had with the sneak racial we used to have?

Quite simple, if you wear that kind of gear, people won't let you go into raids and vet dungeons are much harder. It's convenience of having that racial bonus that allows you to not wear stealth sets and still be effective that I like. Can't speak for others obviously, but if you want to go for maximum effiency, it's still a hefty nerf.

I solo PvE and it sounds like the nerf will make it difficult to survive. Man... I hope ZOS reverts this change, I want to play again, my way...
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    HankTwo wrote: »
    Easy mode PvE sneak build that works on any class/race and doesn't require vampire:

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=131042

5 pieces night mother's embrace armor, 5 pieces night's silence on bow bar, 4 pieces night terror on dw bar, swift jewelry and steed mundus for extra speed.

Very small detection radius on dw bar and no sneak speed penalty on bow bar. Good movement speed in general and sneak cost ist basically non existent. People who claim stealthy playstyle is destroyed because of one passive have no clue how to create a build it seems.

Orly? I had no idea! Thanks mate, I was blind but now I see! ...😒
    tyggerbob wrote: »
    Easy mode PvE sneak build that works on any class/race and doesn't require vampire:

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=131042

5 pieces night mother's embrace armor, 5 pieces night's silence on bow bar, 4 pieces night terror on dw bar, swift jewelry and steed mundus for extra speed.

Very small detection radius on dw bar and no sneak speed penalty on bow bar. Good movement speed in general and sneak cost ist basically non existent. People who claim stealthy playstyle is destroyed because of one passive have no clue how to create a build it seems.

I wouldn't go so far as to say destroyed. And yes I have that same build.. but when you combined it with the passive, Bosmers were nearly invisible

So what, now its just easy mode instead of super easy mode with such a build? I'm not even sure why people want to be almost invisible, where is the challenge in that? I completed both dark brotherhood and thieves guild on a heavy armor non-vampire nord (including heist and sacrament achievements). At least I had to play somewhat careful doing it this way.

I understand that some players dislike this change, but they should stick to the facts. Stealth gameplay is manageable on any race and I don't see that ever changing in the future. Claiming otherwise is just dishonest.

I have been sticking to the facts. No one is claiming that stealing and murder it’s unmanageable outside of Khajiit/Bosmer.
    #FiteForYourRite Bosmer = Stealth
    #OppositeResourceSiphoningAttacks
    || CP 1000+ || PC/NA || GUILDS: LWH; IA; CH; XA
    ""All gods' creatures (you lot) are equal when covered in A1 sauce"" -- Old Bosmeri Wisdom
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If a Star Trek game took intellect away from Vulcans after 5 years (and 5 previous games worth of history), Trekkies would be rightfully upset. Even if you made your Vulcan to be a Pon Farr Gladiator and not a scientist, it doesn’t negate that the whole story/fantasy universe has had a defining trait for that race for 25 years.

The stealth detection passive is as worthless in any end game content as the argonian super swimmers and the Khajiit's pickpocket chance. Imo passives like these are simply there to add flavor to that race. Why Zos decided to change this one; don't know, don't care as it hasn't changed a single aspect of the game as far as I'm concerned.

No. Wrong. Our flavor passive is the 10% fall damage. Just like the other 8 races, the “worthless in end game” passive is in the first skill. Pickpocket Chance, swim speed, extra drink buff time etc.
    #FiteForYourRite Bosmer = Stealth
    #OppositeResourceSiphoningAttacks
    || CP 1000+ || PC/NA || GUILDS: LWH; IA; CH; XA
    ""All gods' creatures (you lot) are equal when covered in A1 sauce"" -- Old Bosmeri Wisdom
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@Blinkin8r Okay, so why do we sacrifice the foundation in lore for a passive that is as worthless as it can get? Bosmer already have 10% reduced fall damage in that category, the stealth radius reduction was actually useful AND represented lore. So why do we get something useless if we can keep the penetration and speed on dodgeroll IN ADDITION to having the old stealth radius reduction?
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    max_only wrote: »
    No. Wrong. Our flavor passive is the 10% fall damage. Just like the other 8 races, the “worthless in end game” passive is in the first skill. Pickpocket Chance, swim speed, extra drink buff time etc.

And the weird thing is that the 10% fall damage buff is NOT useless in the endgame. There is plenty of trial and dungeon bosses that have “drop” mechanics and that 10% reduction in damage helps.

So the free passive is useful and the hunters eye one (that cost skill points) is basically useless.

If it was reversed and the 10% fall damage reduction was in hunters eye, I would actually put points into it.
    Edited by BlueRaven on March 27, 2019 10:11PM
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has anyone even found a way to play stealth close to before this change? Is it even possible? (I'm not racechanging to Khajiit, ever.)
    I did the grind, grind, grind for night mother's embrace gear in Deshaan and kept my Night Silence gear for my two stamina Bosmer, and got Night Terror jewelry from Stonefalls with Shadow Dancer gear from Greenshade and 4 bits of Magnus' Gift for my goofy hybrid. That gets them all about 2/3 of what they would have before.

And what did you have to sacrifice? Are you still able to i.e. play solo with bow/dagger? Or are you squishy now? Powerless? Or close to the same as with the gear you had with the sneak racial we used to have?

Irrelevant, if you spend the majority of your time sneaking, stealing, and murdering, like I do. Which also makes the PvP only part of the racial passives worthless. And that's what's most obnoxious about the whole thing. They are only focused on PvP balance, and couldn't give a skeever's derriere about the majority of Bosmer players..... who are PvE / Justice play focused.

They can change your stats the moment you zone into Cyro, block your CP, increase your health, delete your non-combat pets, etc.... but they can't be bothered to give you separate PvP and PvE racial bonuses? That just screams lazy indifference, and a lack of concern for people who don't fit into their niche focus group.

Don't tell me to be happy that I can kill other players better! I'm not doing that. And if I gear up to achieve the same stealth detection radius as I had before, I have to drop my Night's Silence set, which removes the speed penalty of Sneak. So, no. I'll never be able to play my game as well as I did before. But thanks for assuming! You know what they say about that....

Edited by Jaraal on March 27, 2019 10:21PM
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hopefully by this time tomorrow we will know if the passives will change.

I will be on the road for most of the afternoon tomorrow as I drive up to Albany (and then to Boston on Friday), so hopefully we will have some good news before I get there.
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    anadandy wrote: »
    Ok, then please explain how removing the stealth radius from only the Bosmer balanced anything and how returning it would unbalance anything in the competitive game. If it is completely noncompetitive and unimportant - why remove it?

That is just one of the questions we have been waiting to have answered. There was no good reason for removing the Bosmer stealth radius and the one that was given "stealth isn't a universal mechanic" was contradictory bunk - because they replaced it with something even less universal.

People are forgetting that the Stealthy passive also granted +10% damage bonus from Stealth. And that's what they wanted Bosmer to lose, and Khajiit to keep. But they couldn't be bothered to remove only the damage component of the passive... because it's easier and faster to just delete the whole passive than try to rework it so that stealth focused PVE players wouldn't be crippled.

Yet another thing that shows how indifference and shortsightedness affects the player base.
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jaraal wrote: »
    Ok, then please explain how removing the stealth radius from only the Bosmer balanced anything and how returning it would unbalance anything in the competitive game. If it is completely noncompetitive and unimportant - why remove it?

That is just one of the questions we have been waiting to have answered. There was no good reason for removing the Bosmer stealth radius and the one that was given "stealth isn't a universal mechanic" was contradictory bunk - because they replaced it with something even less universal.

People are forgetting that the Stealthy passive also granted +10% damage bonus from Stealth. And that's what they wanted Bosmer to lose, and Khajiit to keep. But they couldn't be bothered to remove only the damage component of the passive... because it's easier and faster to just delete the whole passive than try to rework it so that stealth focused PVE players wouldn't be crippled.

Yet another thing that shows how indifference and shortsightedness affects the player base.

You could argue that Khajiit still have it in some form, as using shadowy cloak guarantees a crit, which the Khajiit passive boosts. So in a sense, Khajiit got both parts of the passive and Bosmer none.
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
  • anadandy
    anadandy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BlueRaven wrote: »

I will be on the road for most of the afternoon tomorrow as I drive up to Albany (and then to Boston on Friday), so hopefully we will have some good news before I get there.

I hope so too - or at the very least a better explanation. Safe travels!
  • Cundu_Ertur
    Cundu_Ertur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    wedgebert for bosmer class rep!
    Taking stealth away from the Bosmer is like taking magic away from the Altmer, making Nords allergic to mead, or making Orcs pretty.
  • wedgebert
    wedgebert
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wedgebert for bosmer class rep!

Then they could ignore me in an official capacity!
  • Cundu_Ertur
    Cundu_Ertur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    From another thread:
    Turelus wrote: »
    Rob Actively Reads the Forum
    Rob confirmed whilst he doesn’t comment on threads, he is active in reading what people are talking about and what people are annoyed with or expressing concerns about.
    No Plans for Changes in Racial Passives
    They don’t have plans at this time to revisit racial passives, they’re happy with where they are.
    I did overhear in a different conversation where there was talk of changes in Elsweyr, although this was a comment I heard walking past so can’t confirm if true or context as it contradicts what I heard in a direct conversation.
    Hey, Rob

Seriously, rethink this. The Bosmer 3rd passive (Hunter's Eye) is garbage. Counter-stealth is completely counter lore, completely 100% useless in PVE, and seriously underpowered (and actually counter-productive) in PVP. The roll-dodge shenanigans are underwhelming as well given the stamina cost and the need to under-build penetration in order to get any benefit from the added penetration. Frankly, the best use of the third passive is spending the skill points elsewhere. I will readily grant that the other two passives are ok, and actually a significant improvement; though I support the Argonian effort to get their poison resistance back, and swapping this should be at least considered.

I have to admit that doubling and tripling down on the mistakes of the rebalance is disappointing. Without mastery of stealth and without mastery of archery (Orcs and Dunmer are better at doing damage with bows, Redguards and Imperials have cheaper Bow skill use) THERE ARE NO BOSMER NOW from a lore perspective.

Although honestly I doubt he'll see it.
  • wedgebert
    wedgebert
    ✭✭✭✭✭

And if he does, he doesn't apparently either doesn't play Bosmer or runs of one of the esoteric roll-dodge builds in PvP.

At the very least the people responsible could actually speak to the players and explain why
    • Only Bosmer and Altmer are saddled with PvP only talents
    • Why such a lore breaking and player frustrating change can't just be put back (I'm talking about just stealth detect -> stealth radius)
    • Why Bosmer are the only race to be given a "passive" that requires burning large amounts of a resource when every other race that has a resource-consuming passive is triggered by something they were already doing. (I guess is kind of part of the PvP only quest)

Why don't companies realize that good two-way communication between players and staff is one of the most important ways to keep your customer base happy (and paying)?
  • anadandy
    anadandy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have to admit that doubling and tripling down on the mistakes of the rebalance is disappointing.

It really, really is - and being dismissed with essentially "well we like it, so whatevs" doesn't feel that great. At the risk of sounding like a drama queen, I just cancelled my ESO+ sub. I'll still play, but my heart just isn't in it anymore.
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From another thread:
    Turelus wrote: »
    Rob Actively Reads the Forum
    Rob confirmed whilst he doesn’t comment on threads, he is active in reading what people are talking about and what people are annoyed with or expressing concerns about.
    No Plans for Changes in Racial Passives
    They don’t have plans at this time to revisit racial passives, they’re happy with where they are.
    I did overhear in a different conversation where there was talk of changes in Elsweyr, although this was a comment I heard walking past so can’t confirm if true or context as it contradicts what I heard in a direct conversation.
    Hey, Rob

Seriously, rethink this. The Bosmer 3rd passive (Hunter's Eye) is garbage. Counter-stealth is completely counter lore, completely 100% useless in PVE, and seriously underpowered (and actually counter-productive) in PVP. The roll-dodge shenanigans are underwhelming as well given the stamina cost and the need to under-build penetration in order to get any benefit from the added penetration. Frankly, the best use of the third passive is spending the skill points elsewhere. I will readily grant that the other two passives are ok, and actually a significant improvement; though I support the Argonian effort to get their poison resistance back, and swapping this should be at least considered.

I have to admit that doubling and tripling down on the mistakes of the rebalance is disappointing. Without mastery of stealth and without mastery of archery (Orcs and Dunmer are better at doing damage with bows, Redguards and Imperials have cheaper Bow skill use) THERE ARE NO BOSMER NOW from a lore perspective.

Well, at least from Q&A you may see that there is no special ignorance for bosmers or stealth etc. On every point, regarding community concerns and which were selected by reps as often mentioned and important, answer is "NO".
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No they won't and you already knew this when the racials went live. Again, there was no indication that anything would change. We had a PTR cycle with commentary they adjusted some racials and others were not touched. ZOS settled down on them and maybe it's time to finally accept it.
    Edited by Seraphayel on March 28, 2019 3:11PM
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll bet if they gave every other race a PvP only racial, the outcry would be overwhelming.

Edited by Jaraal on March 28, 2019 5:18PM
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seraphayel wrote: »

No they won't and you already knew this when the racials went live.

Oh, it's everybody knowledge that racials won't be revisited in nearest couple of years. This thread and those Q&A is just a reminder not to put a single cent in this game. (though i put a lot before and regularly, literally buying anything i like)
  • anadandy
    anadandy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RSZ3sAK.gif
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh, it's everybody knowledge that racials won't be revisited in nearest couple of years. This thread and those Q&A is just a reminder not to put a single cent in this game. (though i put a lot before and regularly, literally buying anything i like)

Well then punish ZOS with your wallet.
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If this was WoW Seraphayel would be known as a “White Knight” a person who defends the game maker company beyond any reason to the point of absurdity.

If it is because of some financial insecurity and the need to prove the money they spent is well placed, or just for enjoyment of seeing people get upset over their comments, or some other odd reason, the best course of action is just to ignore them.

I will be in Boston tomorrow and I will be at that hall all day. I will make sure our voice is heard.
  • DenMoria
    DenMoria
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't mind my subscription. To me it's worth it.

Since I''m not competitive and couldn't care less about mini/maxing and certainly rarely, if ever, do PvP, the other perks are worth my time.

Honestly - I encourage my friends to subscribe and to play, but, then again, we just play for fun. It's a video game, not something truly important and $15USD a month is a nominal thing.
  • KMarble
    KMarble
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Both the increased swimming speed and the pickpocket chances have uses, though.
  • anadandy
    anadandy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DenMoria wrote: »

Since I''m not competitive and couldn't care less about mini/maxing and certainly rarely, if ever, do PvP, the other perks are worth my time.

Honestly - I encourage my friends to subscribe and to play, but, then again, we just play for fun. It's a video game, not something truly important and $15USD a month is a nominal thing.

I never minded the subscription, and I absolutely thought it was worth it. I also play for fun, not a min/maxer, etc. But I have been very disappointed in the way the game has been going of late, and while I still enjoy playing from time to time with my friends - the way they handled this racial change mess was the decider. I am not encouraged to give them any more financial support than what I already have in buying the game and paying for the sub all these years.
    Edited by anadandy on March 28, 2019 3:48PM
  • DenMoria
    DenMoria
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well then punish ZOS with your wallet.

Why? And what punishment? You're just one person and/or a small group.

The rest of us don't have a problem.

If you want to "punish" a multi-billion corporation by not giving them chump change, go for it.

Most of us play and subscribe and don't really care about much other than server issues, lag time and "bots".

Racial passives and minor adjustments to skills just aren't that important in the grand scheme of things.

What I want is unlimited Health, Magicka and Stamina. Nothing less. At level 2 as a perk, of course.
  • DenMoria
    DenMoria
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I never minded the subscription, and I absolutely thought it was worth it. I also play for fun, not a min/maxer, etc. But I have been very disappointed in the way the game has been going of late, and while I still enjoy playing from time to time with my friends - the way they handled this racial change mess was the decider. I am not encouraged to give them any more financial support than what I already have in buying the game and paying for the sub all these years.

Since I've been here since release on the PS4, frankly, it's a heck of a lot better than it was.

Admittedly, sometimes I need to take breaks, but I just love the "leveled" enemy thing.

Now it's like Skyrim and I AM A GOD! :)
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Since I've been here since release on the PS4, frankly, it's a heck of a lot better than it was.

Admittedly, sometimes I need to take breaks, but I just love the "leveled" enemy thing.

Now it's like Skyrim and I AM A GOD! :)

Well I have been playing since beta on the pc/Mac. I am not sure if you understand the controversy over the racial changes made to bosmers or not, but the changes to their stealth passive (or rather their lack of a stealth passive) is what many of us are upset about. And the subject of this thread.

Yes, Tamriel unlimited was a great change, but that’s a different subject entirely.
This discussion has been closed.