The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Magplar PvP

• Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    For me, heavy is all about extending your offensive window. The extra healing and health have great synergy with sweeps and mending passive which allows you to sit just a bit longer on offense. Not needing to be so precise just makes it easier to secure kills for me, but I play every class so someone who is a Templar main could have a very different experience.

It’s not so much a value of X statistic over another as much as the fact that my offensive windows are longer even if the damage is the same/lower
  • Ariades_swe
    Ariades_swe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SugaComa wrote: »
    BNOC wrote: »
    Syiccal wrote: »
    I can't do heavy its way less dmg and sustain - light is by far superior with it's passivs.
    I run 5/1/1 light
    pirate skeleton
    shacklebreaker
    transmutation (back bar)
    dw willpower swords (front) 1 x nern 1 x infused - shock and beserker enchants
    39k mag
    18.2k stam
    25k hp
    2450 spell dmg (unbuffed)
    1820 mag recovery
    3.3k crit resist (buffed with trans)
    26k spell resist ( buffed)
    24k physical resist (buffed)
    argonian
    tri stat food
    vampire.
    This build is excellent mix of dmg, sustain and tankyness. I'm surprised my toon not dead with the amount of cancer ppl say it has

You'll find you can get more sustain and recovery, with the same main stats on a heavy armour build by just not using defensive sets.

I don't really understand the reasoning behind going light for "extra damage" to then just run defensive sets. It just seems counter-intuitive.

Not to mention the 5 set passives on light armour literally only affect 50% of players, anyone running a shield isn't being crit and isn't taking any extra damage due to your added penetration.

It's been ages since I used heavy but I recently made the switch to try it out after @Lexxypwns post.
    Tbh I didn't notice much difference in damage from switching out riposte to an offensive heavy set.
    On paper the 5k penetrations 10 percent crit should outweigh the 2000 more mag I get from going shackle but in reality my killingpower seems about the same.
    Since I blockcast alot, heavy with 3 offensive sets seems to give me same survivability like light with 2 defensive sets.
    What I could kill or couldn't kill before or after switching hasn't really changed.
    Gonna try out light with transmutation next to see how it compares with heavy.

The crit you probably won't notice due to impen, CP, or crit resistance sets

The penetration varies with Shields and armor users. Against a light armor you won't notice much because of their already low resistance being penetrated and/or Shields

Even then, 5k pen is worth approximately 8% dmg.

If your attack is dealing, let's say 4k in PvP, you'll see a grand total of like 300 dmg increase so 4k vs 4.3k (hardly a noticeable difference at all)

Tried swapping out heavy shackle for trans now.
    With comparable recovery, stam and health my sweep hits for around 300 more per tick in pve. I could get the damage higher but then I'd end up with significantly less non damage stats. Not sure how the mechanics of the 50 percent less damage in pvp works.
    Is it calculated before or after mitigation?

Why are you wearing trans in pve ?

I just tested the damage difference I do on mobs from my heavy setup.
    Why I asked if the 50%pvp reduction is calculated before or after resistances.
    Need to test it out on a guildie later.

Edited by Ariades_swe on August 13, 2018 7:40PM
  • Mrsinister2
    Mrsinister2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heavy is all you need for defense as
    Lexxypwns wrote: »
    For me, heavy is all about extending your offensive window. The extra healing and health have great synergy with sweeps and mending passive which allows you to sit just a bit longer on offense. Not needing to be so precise just makes it easier to secure kills for me, but I play every class so someone who is a Templar main could have a very different experience.

It’s not so much a value of X statistic over another as much as the fact that my offensive windows are longer even if the damage is the same/lower

Templars have no real burst either so those few extra seconds of offense is really needed.
  • SugaComa
    SugaComa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't do heavy its way less dmg and sustain - light is by far superior with it's passivs.
    I run 5/1/1 light
    pirate skeleton
    shacklebreaker
    transmutation (back bar)
    39k mag
    18.2k stam
    25k hp
    1820 mag recovery
    argonian
    tri stat food
    vampire.
    This build is excellent mix of dmg, sustain and tankyness. I'm surprised my toon not dead with the amount of cancer ppl say it has

You'll find you can get more sustain and recovery, with the same main stats on a heavy armour build by just not using defensive sets.

I don't really understand the reasoning behind going light for "extra damage" to then just run defensive sets. It just seems counter-intuitive.

Not to mention the 5 set passives on light armour literally only affect 50% of players, anyone running a shield isn't being crit and isn't taking any extra damage due to your added penetration.

It's been ages since I used heavy but I recently made the switch to try it out after @Lexxypwns post.
    Tbh I didn't notice much difference in damage from switching out riposte to an offensive heavy set.
    On paper the 5k penetrations 10 percent crit should outweigh the 2000 more mag I get from going shackle but in reality my killingpower seems about the same.
    Since I blockcast alot, heavy with 3 offensive sets seems to give me same survivability like light with 2 defensive sets.
    What I could kill or couldn't kill before or after switching hasn't really changed.

The penetration varies with Shields and armor users. Against a light armor you won't notice much because of their already low resistance being penetrated and/or Shields

If your attack is dealing, let's say 4k in PvP, you'll see a grand total of like 300 dmg increase so 4k vs 4.3k (hardly a noticeable difference at all)

With comparable recovery, stam and health my sweep hits for around 300 more per tick in pve. I could get the damage higher but then I'd end up with significantly less non damage stats. Not sure how the mechanics of the 50 percent less damage in pvp works.

You won't get a true reading due to battle spirit ...

I always say it's very simple ... Build your set and take it into battlegrounds ...see how it performs at base level no CP and work up from there
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I run 5/1/1 light
    pirate skeleton
    shacklebreaker
    transmutation (back bar)
    39k mag
    18.2k stam
    25k hp
    1820 mag recovery
    argonian
    tri stat food
    vampire.

He's talking about just testing dmg on a dummy or something
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I run 5/1/1 light
    pirate skeleton
    shacklebreaker
    transmutation (back bar)
    39k mag
    18.2k stam
    25k hp
    1820 mag recovery
    argonian
    tri stat food
    vampire.

Though it shouldn't matter, it's 50% first, then mitigation
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Ariades_swe
    Ariades_swe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I run 5/1/1 light
    pirate skeleton
    shacklebreaker
    transmutation (back bar)
    39k mag
    18.2k stam
    25k hp
    1820 mag recovery
    argonian
    tri stat food
    vampire.

You won't get a true reading due to battle spirit ...

I always say it's very simple ... Build your set and take it into battlegrounds ...see how it performs at base level no CP and work up from there

Of course the damage will be different due to the 50% damareduction from battle spirit debuff.
    I want to know formula how the spirit debuff is calculated. I'll just google it.
    Big difference if it's calculated after instead of before a players resistances.
    BGs way too uncontrolled environment to test.
    Best thing would be to try it out in a duel.
    We're in same guild btw, maybe you could help me out as a live test subject:)
    Edited by Ariades_swe on August 13, 2018 8:05PM
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Ariades_swe battle spirit first. Then mitigation
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Ariades_swe
    Ariades_swe
    ✭✭✭✭✭

• Ariades_swe
    Ariades_swe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I run 5/1/1 light
    pirate skeleton
    shacklebreaker
    transmutation (back bar)
    39k mag
    18.2k stam
    25k hp
    1820 mag recovery
    argonian
    tri stat food
    vampire.

Though it shouldn't matter, it's 50% first, then mitigation

Yeah you're right.
    I'm just bad at maths :smiley:
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

isn't it impen first then battle-spirit? ;)
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Minno wrote: »

isn't it impen first then battle-spirit? ;)

I'm gonna karate chop you

Lmfao
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Radiant hasn’t been worth slotting for awhile. EVen in bgs I still have gotten 18-0 9-0 games without an execute.
  • TheDoomsdayMonster
    TheDoomsdayMonster
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You get that same extended window going with 5 Light/3 Defensive Sets... ;)

There are times when I can basically ignore all incoming damage (especially after I've set up my HoT's) and attack until I'm low on Magicka...

Unyeilding Bias
    PSN TheLordofMurder
    PS4 NA
    Magicka Templar
    DC
    The Combat Physician: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKaqUVm_8JE&t=142s
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

There are times when I can basically ignore all incoming damage (especially after I've set up my HoT's) and attack until I'm low on Magicka...

But you don’t. You get ~7% lower self healing and have a smaller health pool which makes it harder to take advantage of the Templar Mending passive which increases heals at low health.

In addition, Heavy armor with 2x damage1x sustain sets is going to give more damage than light with 3 defensive sets anyway.
    Edited by Lexxypwns on August 14, 2018 3:05AM
  • TheDoomsdayMonster
    TheDoomsdayMonster
    ✭✭✭✭✭

But you don’t. You get ~7% lower self healing and have a smaller health pool which makes it harder to take advantage of the Templar Mending passive which increases heals at low health.

In addition, Heavy armor with 2x damage1x sustain sets is going to give more damage than light with 3 defensive sets anyway.

Maybe...

On the flip side, I'll have cheaper abilities (10% cost savings), a 20% increase in Mag Regen, 10% more Spell Crit, and almost 5k more Spell Penetration...

And this is addition to being very difficult to kill due to the 3 Defensive Sets...

There are definitely pro's to going your route, but there are some great pro's for going my route as well...
    Unyeilding Bias
    PSN TheLordofMurder
    PS4 NA
    Magicka Templar
    DC
  • JWillCHS
    JWillCHS
    ✭✭✭
    xGhost91x wrote: »
    So I'm still pretty new to magicka classes in PvP (old stam DK main) and I need some advice. I can get some kills but I'm WAY too squishy.

I'm currently running:
    2 Skoria (heavy)
    5 Spinners (chest, legs. boots, Nirnhoned inferno staff)
    5 Wizard's Riposte (belt, gloves, jewelry)
    2 Song of Lamae (sword and shield on back bar).

Anyone have any advice for a newbie Magplar?

Lots of decent advice in this thread. Probably the best is
    Don't build too defensive or you'll turn into a healbot/never get good at Templar - build for more damage and die repeatedly until you just don't anymore - If you're offensive on a Templar, you win the fight. If you're sitting back bar holding block and casting heals, you're probably going to lose.

On a Templar, I don't like damage sets that do not increase healing like spinners and war maiden.

Light armor templar is not going to be easy as you're squish pretty much whenever you're not holding down block. You must play aggressively. I play it because I find the damage insufferable playing as heavy if you're not loading up on proc sets, which is something you found out for yourself.

So squish or meh damage, go one way or the other and do the best you can.

As a newer player, I'd probably recommend heavy and using the elemental drain skill, which will get back the penetration you're losing not going light. Back in the day, I used the Rattlecage set and I liked it.

Juilanos, Burning Spellweave, Shacklebreaker, Spell Power Cure, and Overwhelming Surge have been my preferred damage sets.

Then I go with one a defensive set like Wizard's Riposte, or Transmutation. I also like Fortified Brass.

Zaan, Skoria, or Grothdarr if you're into proc monster sets. Bloodspawn or Pirate's Skeleton if you want to play more defensively. Slimecraw if you're confident in your skill as a player.

But for the first time ever I feel comfortable with a heavy armor setup. I went 5 heavy, 1 light, and 1 medium. Rattlecage as the active set, Transmutation(sword/shield) on back bar, dual wield two Willpower swords, and I went Grothdarr with the monster set.

As an Argonian wearing Grothdarr and the Willpower swords gave me the extra max magicka needed. Transmutation gave me some additional magicka recovery and critical resistance. My spell damage is always over 3K, and I have a flex spot since Rattlecage freed up an ability slot. I put Introspection for the additional stamina, health, and magicka recovery. With the Rune Focus changes, using it with Introspection is ridiculously good. And I'm loving the changes to Jesus Beam which I haven't used in PvP since Summer 2017.

Right now I feel confident against every class in a 1v1 situation especially in BGs. I just worry about specific players that I can identify by name. Between the new Rune Focus, Introspection, Total Dark, and Spell Wall I can soak up a ton of damage. Those high burst playing styles front load damage. If you can mitigate it initially and go aggressive on the counter attack it should be game over for most opponents.
  • KingExecration
    KingExecration
    ✭✭✭✭
    JWillCHS wrote: »
    So I'm still pretty new to magicka classes in PvP (old stam DK main) and I need some advice. I can get some kills but I'm WAY too squishy.

I'm currently running:
    2 Skoria (heavy)

Don't build too defensive or you'll turn into a healbot/never get good at Templar - build for more damage and die repeatedly until you just don't anymore - If you're offensive on a Templar, you win the fight. If you're sitting back bar holding block and casting heals, you're probably going to lose.

On a Templar, I don't like damage sets that do not increase healing like spinners and war maiden.

Light armor templar is not going to be easy as you're squish pretty much whenever you're not holding down block. You must play aggressively. I play it because I find the damage insufferable playing as heavy if you're not loading up on proc sets, which is something you found out for yourself.

As a newer player, I'd probably recommend heavy and using the elemental drain skill, which will get back the penetration you're losing not going light. Back in the day, I used the Rattlecage set and I liked it.

Juilanos, Burning Spellweave, Shacklebreaker, Spell Power Cure, and Overwhelming Surge have been my preferred damage sets.

Then I go with one a defensive set like Wizard's Riposte, or Transmutation. I also like Fortified Brass.

Zaan, Skoria, or Grothdarr if you're into proc monster sets. Bloodspawn or Pirate's Skeleton if you want to play more defensively. Slimecraw if you're confident in your skill as a player.

But for the first time ever I feel comfortable with a heavy armor setup. I went 5 heavy, 1 light, and 1 medium. Rattlecage as the active set, Transmutation(sword/shield) on back bar, dual wield two Willpower swords, and I went Grothdarr with the monster set.

As an Argonian wearing Grothdarr and the Willpower swords gave me the extra max magicka needed. Transmutation gave me some additional magicka recovery and critical resistance. My spell damage is always over 3K, and I have a flex spot since Rattlecage freed up an ability slot. I put Introspection for the additional stamina, health, and magicka recovery. With the Rune Focus changes, using it with Introspection is ridiculously good. And I'm loving the changes to Jesus Beam which I haven't used in PvP since Summer 2017.

Right now I feel confident against every class in a 1v1 situation especially in BGs. I just worry about specific players that I can identify by name. Between the new Rune Focus, Introspection, Total Dark, and Spell Wall I can soak up a ton of damage. Those high burst playing styles front load damage. If you can mitigate it initially and go aggressive on the counter attack it should be game over for most opponents.

I'm too in love with using a fire or lit staff and getting eledrain or blockade to run dual wield again. But of course my builds usually lean towards a bunch of aoe or massive single target damage.
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Idk, i wouldn't ever run fb over pariah. But i would get run either on a mag templar. You give up way too much bc of the 3 and 4 pc bonuses imo.
  • BNOC
    BNOC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JWillCHS wrote: »

I'm currently running:
    2 Skoria (heavy)

I'm too in love with using a fire or lit staff and getting eledrain or blockade to run dual wield again. But of course my builds usually lean towards a bunch of aoe or massive single target damage.

A few patches ago I ran double destro, fire & ice - Used blockade and a tonne of dots. I'd literally put down my 'house', dot the place up and just keep my opponent in an ice clench root, was a joke, very squishy though.

Used to work great for tower farms, especially when blockade went through walls - You could lay it down the inside stairs from the middle ring.

Coupled with BSW and Grothdarr.

Good times.
    vMSA - Magplar - Xbox EU - 15/11/16
    578,000 - 36 Minutes 58 Seconds (Top 2 World?)

vMSA - Magplar - Xbox NA
    569,000 - 40 minutes (350CP, Non optimised runs)
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yea but that free 4k penetration is a tough cookie to give away.
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • TheDoomsdayMonster
    TheDoomsdayMonster
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Exactly...

5 Light gives 4.8k Spell Penetration (4884 to be exact)...

That's more Spell Penetration than the 5th piece bonus of Spinners...

Just let that sink in for a moment...

;)
    Unyeilding Bias
    PSN TheLordofMurder
    PS4 NA
    Magicka Templar
    DC
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Exactly...

;)

It's about a 7% DMG return via armor stripping.

But you do miss out on 8% healing received, and in nCP there's not much you can do to get that back aside from running specific sets. You can roll 3 DMG enchants on LA which might be something HA can't do without running a sustain set.

But you also get some crit chance, which boosts your healing through base crit. So there's that.

I think it's playstyle dependant.
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Neoauspex
    Neoauspex
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Exactly...

;)

But also, the spell penetration CP tree scales well.
  • BNOC
    BNOC
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Exactly...

;)

But you do miss out on 8% healing received, and in nCP there's not much you can do to get that back aside from running specific sets. You can roll 3 DMG enchants on LA which might be something HA can't do without running a sustain set.

But you also get some crit chance, which boosts your healing through base crit. So there's that.

7% damage against non-shielders/ shields dropped.

You've missed out on healing, the health, you've had to make up resistances elsewhere and let's not forget the massive HA sustain @25%, it's a never ending supply of stamina for me if i just throw the occasional heavy attack let alone if I was using a staff - I could certainly drop tri stats and run something else for example; it's only my magicka that gets low-ish.

You can boost your healing with the 10% extra crit fair enough but again, it's only beneficial offensively vs non Shielders and even then, it's mitigated at a higher percentage than flat damage. If you're sitting back bar healing non stop you're probably going to die so 10% on what should be a rarely casted heal and a couple ground ticks isn't a big deal.

You can just wear heavy, drop pirate skeleton and run slimecraw for a flat 7% increase if you wanted.
    Or drop Riposte for Axiom which probably works out at about the same flat damage increase.

Obviously anyone can wear what they like and think works best depending on what you struggle to fight but it's not even a question for me personally when you look at the overall returns.
    Edited by BNOC on August 14, 2018 3:33PM
    vMSA - Magplar - Xbox EU - 15/11/16
    578,000 - 36 Minutes 58 Seconds (Top 2 World?)

vMSA - Magplar - Xbox NA
    569,000 - 40 minutes (350CP, Non optimised runs)
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Exactly...

;)

7% damage against non-shielders/ shields dropped.

You've missed out on healing, the health, you've had to make up resistances elsewhere and let's not forget the massive HA sustain @25%, it's a never ending supply of stamina for me if i just throw the occasional heavy attack let alone if I was using a staff - I could certainly drop tri stats and run something else for example; it's only my magicka that gets low-ish.

You can boost your healing with the 10% extra crit fair enough but again, it's only beneficial offensively vs non Shielders and even then, it's mitigated at a higher percentage than flat damage. If you're sitting back bar healing non stop you're probably going to die so 10% on what should be a rarely casted heal and a couple ground ticks isn't a big deal.

You can just wear heavy, drop pirate skeleton and run slimecraw for a flat 7% increase if you wanted.
    Or drop Riposte for Axiom which probably works out at about the same flat damage increase.

Obviously anyone can wear what they like and think works best depending on what you struggle to fight but it's not even a question for me personally when you look at the overall returns.

Shields largely heavily countered by a well timed cc. So penetration is as valuable as the DMG you are willing to let through.

Heavy attack Regen heavily countered by block, dodge or reflect in the case of ranged heavy attacks. So it's worse than effective Regen in that regard (except if you are blocking then nether)

Swapping pirate Skeleton for heavy armor, from a defensive standpoint, you are trading maybe 8 % healing with whatever Constitution equates to in effective Regen for 15% less healing but 30% major protection.

It's just two different playstyle.
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only reason I don't use pirate is because of the offensive monster set choices.

Now if there was a heavy armor set that provided proc damage and wasn't sloads nor a pile of... (Affliction)
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ok, I’m done with you @TheDoomsdayMonster you’re obviously so blind that you can’t see what everyone else sees, your *** build is *** and performs like *** against anyone with a brain.

Somebody message me how to ignore someone on forums
    Edited by Lexxypwns on August 14, 2018 7:57PM
  • TheDoomsdayMonster
    TheDoomsdayMonster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok, I’m done with you @TheDoomsdayMonster you’re obviously so dumb that you can’t see what everyone else sees, your *** build is *** and performs like *** against anyone with a brain.

Somebody message me how to ignore someone on forums

??

Why so angry?

All I did was state facts...
    Unyeilding Bias
    PSN TheLordofMurder
    PS4 NA
    Magicka Templar
    DC
  • BohnT
    BohnT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Just throwing something in here:
    The change to histsap gives you a vigor like HoT(∅1.8k hps from ~120 fights today) with almost 100% uptime as magplar doesn't have access to snare immunity.

The set has decent 2,3,4 pc bonuses with health, mag and spelldamage

One issue is that magsorcs and stamnbs don't really put enough snares on you to make it work properly when you are only facing those.

Another one is that it doesn't provide sustain or massive damage meaning choosing the other 5pc set will be hard as depending on what you choose damage or sustain take a hit

Sadly it seems that using remembrance or meditate (haven't tested with meditate yet) doesn't proc it