Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Magplar PvP

• Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BohnT wrote: »
    Just throwing something in here:
    The change to histsap gives you a vigor like HoT(∅1.8k hps from ~120 fights today) with almost 100% uptime as magplar doesn't have access to snare immunity.

The set has decent 2,3,4 pc bonuses with health, mag and spelldamage

One issue is that magsorcs and stamnbs don't really put enough snares on you to make it work properly when you are only facing those.

Another one is that it doesn't provide sustain or massive damage meaning choosing the other 5pc set will be hard as depending on what you choose damage or sustain take a hit

Sadly it seems that using remembrance or meditate (haven't tested with meditate yet) doesn't proc it

Lol if meditate procs it I'll troll some bgs
  • Mr_Nobody
    Mr_Nobody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The change to histsap gives you a vigor like HoT(∅1.8k hps from ~120 fights today) with almost 100% uptime as magplar doesn't have access to snare immunity.

One issue is that magsorcs and stamnbs don't really put enough snares on you to make it work properly when you are only facing those.

Another one is that it doesn't provide sustain or massive damage meaning choosing the other 5pc set will be hard as depending on what you choose damage or sustain take a hit

Sadly it seems that using remembrance or meditate (haven't tested with meditate yet) doesn't proc it

shhhhhhhhhhhh keep it silent!
    ~ @Niekas ~

• Baconlad
    Baconlad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Two main ways to play magplar. More tanky, less damage

OR more damage MUCH less tanky.

Due to the way magplar have to defend, we spend a terribly long amount of time on defense bar. Leaving less time for damage than other classes.

I've played both. The tanker build will let you turtle up and hug a rock until ur enemies get bored or there's just too many. You run across a 1v1, you might win...against a great player you atleast won't die.

The other build...you'll die more often, but you'll kill way more often. Magplar has the burst other classes do. Matter of fact I'd be willing to bet they have the most amount of burst you can have out of one toon. If you build that glass canon, you will kill...alot. sure you'll die. But it's alot more rewarding to me getting five kills per death and being able to only tank three players damage tops, to not being able to hardly get two kills, and being able to tank five tops.

New to magplar? Play the tanky. Learn to defend. Rely on you SKILLS, not your gear.

After awhile, build for glass.

This is coming from a player who got 10 kills in first minute of a deathmatch and only did 100k worth of damage. So much burst my enemies can't defend...they just die. I only died 5 times the whole match. And i was wearing 7 divines...Learn the class, the power is there.
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Baconlad wrote: »

Due to the way magplar have to defend, we spend a terribly long amount of time on defense bar. Leaving less time for damage than other classes.

I've played both. The tanker build will let you turtle up and hug a rock until ur enemies get bored or there's just too many. You run across a 1v1, you might win...against a great player you atleast won't die.

The other build...you'll die more often, but you'll kill way more often. Magplar has the burst other classes do. Matter of fact I'd be willing to bet they have the most amount of burst you can have out of one toon. If you build that glass canon, you will kill...alot. sure you'll die. But it's alot more rewarding to me getting five kills per death and being able to only tank three players damage tops, to not being able to hardly get two kills, and being able to tank five tops.

New to magplar? Play the tanky. Learn to defend. Rely on you SKILLS, not your gear.

This is coming from a player who got 10 kills in first minute of a deathmatch and only did 100k worth of damage. So much burst my enemies can't defend...they just die. I only died 5 times the whole match. And i was wearing 7 divines...Learn the class, the power is there.

Sounds like you played total idiots and had ppl around you. Maybe even the sigil. 100k dmg won't kill 10 ppl If u did it solo. Any glass build works If you're safe.

Dark flare javs into rd is a lot of fun though. Ive definitely got some clips where ppl must be thinking "wtf just happened"

The problem with that burst is it's the most telegraphed easily countered combo in the game.
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not naysaying, just youre making it sound like you solod 10 ppl in a min.
  • Baconlad
    Baconlad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ight. Fair enough. I didn't solo them

I assumed that anyone who's ever played battlegrounds understands the mess it can be. This battleground was no different. Stealing kills from an enemy team against another enemy team is all I did. It's called...choosing an appropriate target.

Also you want to talk about solo play? Ok let's.

You are solo in cyrodil. In your tanky playstyle magplar.
    You come across two enemies. You are what might be considered a good player. The enemies you find happen to also be well known, good players. You going to kill them? Most likely not. On any build. Any class. You can run, hug trees, and ur tanky build has a better chance of surviving them...for a bit, until ur out of resources, then you die...or maybe they let you go.

Same scenario, on my build. You going to kill one of them? Sure ur skills are ridiculously easy to counter...that's why you understand ur skills weaknesses, knowing when the best time to employ them would be. You'll deffinetly die, but this time...You have a much higher chance to kill atleast one of them.

It's all about choices, you want to survive? Just to say you didn't die? Or you want to be able to kill with a much riskier build? I choose the later. I've been playing magplar for four years. Played every playstyle and FOTM build for magplar. It's taught me how to defend...how to kill idiots, and how not to die against much harder hitting tanker builds than mine. But once you get to a certain point in your skill as a player, you realize you want more risk, and more reward. This is the path I've chosen with my magplar. Take it or leave it is all you have to do.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ight. Fair enough. I didn't solo them

I assumed that anyone who's ever played battlegrounds understands the mess it can be. This battleground was no different. Stealing kills from an enemy team against another enemy team is all I did. It's called...choosing an appropriate target.

Also you want to talk about solo play? Ok let's.

You are solo in cyrodil. In your tanky playstyle magplar.
    You come across two enemies. You are what might be considered a good player. The enemies you find happen to also be well known, good players. You going to kill them? Most likely not. On any build. Any class. You can run, hug trees, and ur tanky build has a better chance of surviving them...for a bit, until ur out of resources, then you die...or maybe they let you go.

Same scenario, on my build. You going to kill one of them? Sure ur skills are ridiculously easy to counter...that's why you understand ur skills weaknesses, knowing when the best time to employ them would be. You'll deffinetly die, but this time...You have a much higher chance to kill atleast one of them.

It's all about choices, you want to survive? Just to say you didn't die? Or you want to be able to kill with a much riskier build? I choose the later. I've been playing magplar for four years. Played every playstyle and FOTM build for magplar. It's taught me how to defend...how to kill idiots, and how not to die against much harder hitting tanker builds than mine. But once you get to a certain point in your skill as a player, you realize you want more risk, and more reward. This is the path I've chosen with my magplar. Take it or leave it is all you have to do.

Then it just sucks to realize you could've killed em both had you just been an NB :tongue:
    Edited by Waffennacht on August 15, 2018 5:01AM
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Baconlad
    Baconlad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hahaha....
    Too funny. So true though!
    With the damage I've been throwing down I feel like a nightblade! Boys can't fight back. Get splattered before they can break the eclipse.
    Edited by Baconlad on August 15, 2018 11:03AM
  • TheDoomsdayMonster
    TheDoomsdayMonster
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent post...
    Unyeilding Bias
    PSN TheLordofMurder
    PS4 NA
    Magicka Templar
    DC
    The Combat Physician: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKaqUVm_8JE&t=142s
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BNOC wrote: »
    Minno wrote: »
    Lexxypwns wrote: »
    For me, heavy is all about extending your offensive window. The extra healing and health have great synergy with sweeps and mending passive which allows you to sit just a bit longer on offense. Not needing to be so precise just makes it easier to secure kills for me, but I play every class so someone who is a Templar main could have a very different experience.

It’s not so much a value of X statistic over another as much as the fact that my offensive windows are longer even if the damage is the same/lower

You get that same extended window going with 5 Light/3 Defensive Sets... ;)

There are times when I can basically ignore all incoming damage (especially after I've set up my HoT's) and attack until I'm low on Magicka...

But you don’t. You get ~7% lower self healing and have a smaller health pool which makes it harder to take advantage of the Templar Mending passive which increases heals at low health.

In addition, Heavy armor with 2x damage1x sustain sets is going to give more damage than light with 3 defensive sets anyway.

Yea but that free 4k penetration is a tough cookie to give away.
    For me, heavy is all about extending your offensive window. The extra healing and health have great synergy with sweeps and mending passive which allows you to sit just a bit longer on offense. Not needing to be so precise just makes it easier to secure kills for me, but I play every class so someone who is a Templar main could have a very different experience.

It’s not so much a value of X statistic over another as much as the fact that my offensive windows are longer even if the damage is the same/lower

You get that same extended window going with 5 Light/3 Defensive Sets... ;)

There are times when I can basically ignore all incoming damage (especially after I've set up my HoT's) and attack until I'm low on Magicka...

But you don’t. You get ~7% lower self healing and have a smaller health pool which makes it harder to take advantage of the Templar Mending passive which increases heals at low health.

In addition, Heavy armor with 2x damage1x sustain sets is going to give more damage than light with 3 defensive sets anyway.

Yea but that free 4k penetration is a tough cookie to give away.

Exactly...

5 Light gives 4.8k Spell Penetration (4884 to be exact)...

That's more Spell Penetration than the 5th piece bonus of Spinners...

Just let that sink in for a moment...

;)

It's about a 7% DMG return via armor stripping.

But you do miss out on 8% healing received, and in nCP there's not much you can do to get that back aside from running specific sets. You can roll 3 DMG enchants on LA which might be something HA can't do without running a sustain set.

But you also get some crit chance, which boosts your healing through base crit. So there's that.

I think it's playstyle dependant.

7% damage against non-shielders/ shields dropped.

You've missed out on healing, the health, you've had to make up resistances elsewhere and let's not forget the massive HA sustain @25%, it's a never ending supply of stamina for me if i just throw the occasional heavy attack let alone if I was using a staff - I could certainly drop tri stats and run something else for example; it's only my magicka that gets low-ish.

You can boost your healing with the 10% extra crit fair enough but again, it's only beneficial offensively vs non Shielders and even then, it's mitigated at a higher percentage than flat damage. If you're sitting back bar healing non stop you're probably going to die so 10% on what should be a rarely casted heal and a couple ground ticks isn't a big deal.

You can just wear heavy, drop pirate skeleton and run slimecraw for a flat 7% increase if you wanted.
    Or drop Riposte for Axiom which probably works out at about the same flat damage increase.

Obviously anyone can wear what they like and think works best depending on what you struggle to fight but it's not even a question for me personally when you look at the overall returns.

Shields largely heavily countered by a well timed cc. So penetration is as valuable as the DMG you are willing to let through. And if you are light armor, you have access to a strong shield which let's you have the ability to counter crit/penetration. Though for Templar maybe not a good route without some way to escape outside Sprint.

Heavy attack Regen heavily countered by block, dodge or reflect in the case of ranged heavy attacks. So it's worse than effective Regen in that regard (except if you are blocking then nether).

Swapping pirate Skeleton for heavy armor, from a defensive standpoint, you are trading maybe 8 % healing with whatever Constitution equates to in effective Regen for 15% less healing but 30% major protection.

It's just two different playstyle is all I'm saying. Honestly stamina has better synergy with heavy armor through forward momentum and better DMG sets.
    The only reason I don't use pirate is because of the offensive monster set choices.

Now if there was a heavy armor set that provided proc damage and wasn't sloads nor a pile of... (Affliction)

Why not get your proc off your jewels/weapon?
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Minno I already have 1 light armor proc set (born) that uses up jewelry, so I need a heavy armor, I do not wish to use sload (even more so after Nerf)

There is like 2 options, affliction and bahahahahhahaha which are not good enough.

So I must maintain skoria + born for any kind of burst (or Zaan) but that means no Pirate.

There is no set that can give you that kind of burst
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Minno I already have 1 light armor proc set (born) that uses up jewelry, so I need a heavy armor, I do not wish to use sload (even more so after Nerf)

There is like 2 options, affliction and bahahahahhahaha which are not good enough.

So I must maintain skoria + born for any kind of burst (or Zaan) but that means no Pirate.

ok I see. Thanks!

what about mechanical acuity for stat burst?
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent post...

Lol you chose the complete opposite route though. 3 sets based around making your mist form stronger...
  • SneaK
    SneaK
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent post...

I have to disagree. I’ve had my Templar since console launch and never had I felt like I need to min max in order to play it. Sure, I’ve played a tanky healer and a pure dps squish, but in my experience the most successful builds I’ve ran are more well rounded rather than suited to one or the other. The fact is, if you’re out in open world Cyro you’re mostly reliant on your skill (&timing) and not your gear. But if you are built for one thing you’re narrowing your chances to excel in areas where you probably need practice.

I’m not trying to suppress other’s advice in here, just wanna throw it out there for any aspiring Magplars reading this thread, you don’t have to pigeon hole yourselves whatsoever. There is a lot of good advice in here but most of it is preference. You can build a Magplar to do close to anything. If you’re new to the class you might look to build a well rounded spec so you can see what parts you enjoy most then hone in from there.
    "IMO"
    Aldmeri Dominion
    Bosmer Nightblade AR 32 - Altmer Templar AR 26 - Dunmer Dragonknight AR 18 - Altmer Sorcerer AR 20 - Khajiit Dragonknight AR 18
    (+3 not worth mentioning, yet)
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd love to hear some max mag/ shield builds that ppl are using.
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

ok I see. Thanks!

Acuity suffers from the same issue as Riposte: does not proc off dots. Might have been doable pre nerf just like riposte.
    • PC/NA
    • Karllotta, AD Magplar, AR 50
    • Hatched-In-Glacier, DC Magden, AR 44
    • Miraliys, EP Warden, AR 35
    • Kartalin, AD Stamblade, AR 35
    • Miralys, AD Magsorc, AR 35
    • Milthalas, EP Magblade, AR 35
    • Kallenna, AD Magcro, AR 34
    • Lyranais, EP Magsorc, AR 33
    • Lemon Party - Meanest Girls - @ Kartalin - Youtube
  • casparian
    casparian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Kartalin wrote: »

ok I see. Thanks!

Acuity suffers from the same issue as Riposte: does not proc off dots. Might have been doable pre nerf just like riposte.

Can confirm Acuity was amazing on magplar pre-nerf. It's too bad a PVE imbalance had to ruin such a great burst set in PVP: it was some of the most dangerous burst available in the game but also highly counterable, unlike every other burst set ZOS has introduced since. Thanks, overperforming PVEers!
    Edited by casparian on August 15, 2018 8:57PM
    7-day PVP campaign regular 2016-2019, Flawless Conqueror. MagDK/stamplar/stamwarden/mageblade. Requiem, Legend, Knights of Daggerfall. Currently retired from the wars; waiting on performance improvements.
  • TheDoomsdayMonster
    TheDoomsdayMonster
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent post...

Lol you chose the complete opposite route though. 3 sets based around making your mist form stronger...

That's true; that's the build that ultimately fits my playstyle best, but I do agree with his post...

And sometimes I go complete glass and melt everything in my path...its a lot of fun.

:)
    Unyeilding Bias
    PSN TheLordofMurder
    PS4 NA
    Magicka Templar
    DC
  • Mrsinister2
    Mrsinister2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    casparian wrote: »

ok I see. Thanks!

Can confirm Acuity was amazing on magplar pre-nerf. It's too bad a PVE imbalance had to ruin such a great burst set in PVP: it was some of the most dangerous burst available in the game but also highly counterable, unlike every other burst set ZOS has introduced since. Thanks, overperforming PVEers!

5 seconds of critting sweeps or Jesus beam was really good I ran that set for a while in pvp.
  • Xsorus
    Xsorus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

be a ***

run Ironblood Set, Histsap, Troll King

• Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xsorus wrote: »

be a ***

run Ironblood Set, Histsap, Troll King

ironblood procs hist?

Last I checked, sets like ironblood give out some self-buff version of the debuff variety. Thus arent able to proc sets like ranger or hist (see pirate skeleton with purge for an example of this).

Someone needs to test this patch if this is still true.
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

ok I see. Thanks!

shouldn't it remain unchanged since you had dot up first and then proc acuity to gain the most benefit from that set?
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

ok I see. Thanks!

shouldn't it remain unchanged since you had dot up first and then proc acuity to gain the most benefit from that set?

True, but acuity won't do much if you're base stats are low to begin with (like 50% on 1k lol)
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • casparian
    casparian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

ok I see. Thanks!

The uptime is still noticeably lower. Even when only having the full 5-piece on front bar, the fact that none of my already-ticking DOTs can proc it and my Sweeps can't proc it (except through Burning Light) makes a huge difference.
    7-day PVP campaign regular 2016-2019, Flawless Conqueror. MagDK/stamplar/stamwarden/mageblade. Requiem, Legend, Knights of Daggerfall. Currently retired from the wars; waiting on performance improvements.
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone have experience capitalizing on shields with magplar? Only time ive done it was about 39k mag, so not very powerful shields.

My mindset is lich back barred, masters ice staff, body set(thinking spc or shackle). Maybe shadowrend and necro?
  • TheDoomsdayMonster
    TheDoomsdayMonster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone have experience capitalizing on shields with magplar? Only time ive done it was about 39k mag, so not very powerful shields.

My mindset is lich back barred, masters ice staff, body set(thinking spc or shackle). Maybe shadowrend and necro?

At one point in time, I used shields on my Magplar...it was ok...the mitigation was good.

But ultimately, shield stacking didnt fit my playstyle even though I had success with it...

My build at the time was (and this was long before Staffs counted as 2 items):

Ice Hearts x2...

Combat Physician x5 (Healing Ward as well as several other abilities procs it)...

Mothers Sorrow x4 (×4 on Resto Staff Bar; x5 on Dual Wield Bar; nowadays you can do x5 on both bars)...

On this build, Ritual of Retribution (one of the HoT's you'll stack along with either Rapid Regen or Mutagen) will proc the Damage Shields of both item sets (and often at the same time)...

When you combine that with Healing Ward, Harness Magicka, and Replenishing Barrier, you can shield up pretty well...
    Edited by TheDoomsdayMonster on August 16, 2018 1:13AM
    Unyeilding Bias
    PSN TheLordofMurder
    PS4 NA
    Magicka Templar
    DC
  • Jimmy_The_Fixer
    Jimmy_The_Fixer
    ✭✭✭✭✭

At one point in time, I used shields on my Magplar...it was ok...the mitigation was good.

But ultimately, shield stacking didnt fit my playstyle even though I had success with it...

Ice Hearts x2...

Combat Physician x5 (Healing Ward as well as several other abilities procs it)...

Mothers Sorrow x4 (×4 on Resto Staff Bar; x5 on Dual Wield Bar; nowadays you can do x5 on both bars)...

On this build, Ritual of Retribution (one of the HoT's you'll stack along with either Rapid Regen or Mutagen) will proc the Damage Shields of both item sets (and often at the same time)...

When you combine that with Healing Ward, Harness Magicka, and Replenishing Barrier, you can shield up pretty well...

CombatPhysician/MS/Iceheart? That's a brutal case of counter-synergy. Your sets give tons of crit but shields aren't helped by crit.

You have low magicka, no regen, no spell damage. Low regen means you need regen enchants which only exacerbates thes low damage problem. You can crit for days but none of that is going to matter when the base damage of all of your spells is half of what it should be.

The other build, lich/shackle, that's solid. I'd even be down with the frost staff for root lockdown. Fire staff more versatile though.
    Edited by Jimmy_The_Fixer on August 16, 2018 1:41AM
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Ice Hearts x2...

CombatPhysician/MS/Iceheart? That's a brutal case of counter-synergy. Your sets give tons of crit but shields aren't helped by crit.

You have low magicka, no regen, no spell damage. Low regen means you need regen enchants which only exacerbates thes low damage problem. You can crit for days but none of that is going to matter when the base damage of all of your spells is half of what it should be.

The other build, lich/shackle, that's solid. I'd even be down with the frost staff for root lockdown. Fire staff more versatile though.

Don’t waste your time on that guy, he’s wrapped in his cocoon of ignorance.
  • Jimmy_The_Fixer
    Jimmy_The_Fixer
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Ice Hearts x2...

Don’t waste your time on that guy, he’s wrapped in his cocoon of ignorance.

I think it important to lay out a clear and reasonable explanation for why the build doesn't work, in case a new player stumbles in and starts reading the thread. It's too late for him, but that doesn't oblige me to let bad advice go uncontested.
    Edited by Jimmy_The_Fixer on August 16, 2018 2:19AM
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Jimmy_The_Fixer lexxys point is let's stop talking about it bc it consumes the thread.