Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Magplar PvP

• Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lexxypwns wrote: »
    Anyone have experience capitalizing on shields with magplar? Only time ive done it was about 39k mag, so not very powerful shields.

My mindset is lich back barred, masters ice staff, body set(thinking spc or shackle). Maybe shadowrend and necro?

At one point in time, I used shields on my Magplar...it was ok...the mitigation was good.

But ultimately, shield stacking didnt fit my playstyle even though I had success with it...

My build at the time was (and this was long before Staffs counted as 2 items):

Ice Hearts x2...

Combat Physician x5 (Healing Ward as well as several other abilities procs it)...

Mothers Sorrow x4 (×4 on Resto Staff Bar; x5 on Dual Wield Bar; nowadays you can do x5 on both bars)...

On this build, Ritual of Retribution (one of the HoT's you'll stack along with either Rapid Regen or Mutagen) will proc the Damage Shields of both item sets (and often at the same time)...

When you combine that with Healing Ward, Harness Magicka, and Replenishing Barrier, you can shield up pretty well...

CombatPhysician/MS/Iceheart? That's a brutal case of counter-synergy. Your sets give tons of crit but shields aren't helped by crit.

You have low magicka, no regen, no spell damage. Low regen means you need regen enchants which only exacerbates thes low damage problem. You can crit for days but none of that is going to matter when the base damage of all of your spells is half of what it should be.

The other build, lich/shackle, that's solid. I'd even be down with the frost staff for root lockdown. Fire staff more versatile though.

Don’t waste your time on that guy, he’s wrapped in his cocoon of ignorance.

I think it important to lay out a clear and reasonable explanation for why the build doesn't work, in case a new player stumbles in and starts reading the thread. It's too late for him, but that doesn't oblige me to let bad advice go uncontested.

I 100% agree with you. TBH, I think all of his posts need to be deleted from any threads about build advice.
  • Baconlad
    Baconlad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used iceheart, combat prayer, and some other set I can't remember what it was a long time ago. I farmed for ice heart, got the shoulders put everything together did a duel with a buddy. I went to cyrodil, I tried it for about a week.

The build is terrible. Spamming harness magic with the same shield size as combat prayer was more effective defense than combat prayer. Ice heart shield is laughable. That's like having honor the dead on a six second cool down. It's just not worth it. Having a dedicated damage set was ten times better than running combat prayer
  • TheDoomsdayMonster
    TheDoomsdayMonster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone have experience capitalizing on shields with magplar? Only time ive done it was about 39k mag, so not very powerful shields.

My mindset is lich back barred, masters ice staff, body set(thinking spc or shackle). Maybe shadowrend and necro?

At one point in time, I used shields on my Magplar...it was ok...the mitigation was good.

But ultimately, shield stacking didnt fit my playstyle even though I had success with it...

Ice Hearts x2...

Combat Physician x5 (Healing Ward as well as several other abilities procs it)...

Mothers Sorrow x4 (×4 on Resto Staff Bar; x5 on Dual Wield Bar; nowadays you can do x5 on both bars)...

On this build, Ritual of Retribution (one of the HoT's you'll stack along with either Rapid Regen or Mutagen) will proc the Damage Shields of both item sets (and often at the same time)...

When you combine that with Healing Ward, Harness Magicka, and Replenishing Barrier, you can shield up pretty well...

CombatPhysician/MS/Iceheart? That's a brutal case of counter-synergy. Your sets give tons of crit but shields aren't helped by crit.

You have low magicka, no regen, no spell damage. Low regen means you need regen enchants which only exacerbates thes low damage problem. You can crit for days but none of that is going to matter when the base damage of all of your spells is half of what it should be.

The other build, lich/shackle, that's solid. I'd even be down with the frost staff for root lockdown. Fire staff more versatile though.

The build I listed wasn't perfect, but it worked...

Yes, it needed Regen glyphs (in addition to Witch Mothers and Heavy Attacks with Resto Staff as needed), but you had sky high Spell Crit (it was around 75% if memory serves me correctly, so your raw Crit output was comparable to what Mechanical Acuity gives, but in constant effect) so you were almost always critting...

That Spell Crit went a long way as pertains bringing your overall damage/healing output up to par...

As pertains to defensively, the combo of the constantly critting Heals and Shields did the job of keeping you alive...

You guys might knock it, but it worked for me even though I ultimately dropped it...

Edited by TheDoomsdayMonster on August 16, 2018 3:40AM
    Unyeilding Bias
    PSN TheLordofMurder
    PS4 NA
    Magicka Templar
    DC
    The Combat Physician: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKaqUVm_8JE&t=142s
  • TheDoomsdayMonster
    TheDoomsdayMonster
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Ice Hearts x2...

You say don't waste time on me, but do so yourself...

Not terribly bright of you...

Unyeilding Bias
    PSN TheLordofMurder
    PS4 NA
    Magicka Templar
    DC
  • TheDoomsdayMonster
    TheDoomsdayMonster
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Ice Hearts x2...

I think it important to lay out a clear and reasonable explanation for why the build doesn't work, in case a new player stumbles in and starts reading the thread. It's too late for him, but that doesn't oblige me to let bad advice go uncontested.

I 100% agree with you. TBH, I think all of his posts need to be deleted from any threads about build advice.

You should be deleted from eso; your ignorance is rancid...
    Unyeilding Bias
    PSN TheLordofMurder
    PS4 NA
    Magicka Templar
    DC
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spc, shackle, or destruction mastery with skoria. Or Necro with shadowrend. Or light of cyrodiil.

Paired with lich, masters ice staff.

Shield based build. Pros cons go. Got tomorrow to put it together. Never tried a max mag templar.
  • srnm
    srnm
    ✭✭✭
    masters ice staff.

I like the idea of using an ice staff - and switching between reach and blockade situationally is likely to work well.

The question is whether the buff to your puncturing sweeps damage (and heal) makes a lightning staff the better option?
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    srnm wrote: »
    masters ice staff.

I like the idea of using an ice staff - and switching between reach and blockade situationally is likely to work well.

The question is whether the buff to your puncturing sweeps damage (and heal) makes a lightning staff the better option?

You use frost for: maim, roots, and snare. Yeah lightning will provide more damage (and concussion) but if you run Frost it's for the utility
    Edited by Waffennacht on August 16, 2018 3:48AM
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • WreckfulAbandon
    WreckfulAbandon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spc, shackle, or destruction mastery with skoria. Or Necro with shadowrend. Or light of cyrodiil.

Shield based build. Pros cons go. Got tomorrow to put it together. Never tried a max mag templar.

Sorry but cant think of any pros that are pronounced for a shieldplar. We might be a versatile class but at that point you are way better off running mageblade, magwarden, or magsorc. No real synergy with shields other than mild cost reduction, but you're also giving up our token spell resist essentially. We don't have good class HoT's that can benefit from shields, you're just left with a different version of BoL/HtD. Just my 2 cents there.

I don't want to derail the thread but Lexy is a good theorycrafter so while I can stand for a few gibes to be thrown your way, I don't care to hear you say he's ignorant lol. Dude knows a good bit. When you constantly put forward your RP build as a competitive setup it does fellow magplars no good. But you won't catch me knocking your build unless you try to say someone that disagrees with you is ignorant. That is all, hope we can all be civil going forward.

PC NA

All my comments are regarding PvP
  • TheDoomsdayMonster
    TheDoomsdayMonster
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry but cant think of any pros that are pronounced for a shieldplar. We might be a versatile class but at that point you are way better off running mageblade, magwarden, or magsorc. No real synergy with shields other than mild cost reduction, but you're also giving up our token spell resist essentially. We don't have good class HoT's that can benefit from shields, you're just left with a different version of BoL/HtD. Just my 2 cents there.

I don't want to derail the thread but Lexy is a good theorycrafter so while I can stand for a few gibes to be thrown your way, I don't care to hear you say he's ignorant lol. Dude knows a good bit. When you constantly put forward your RP build as a competitive setup it does fellow magplars no good. But you won't catch me knocking your build unless you try to say someone that disagrees with you is ignorant. That is all, hope we can all be civil going forward.

Just to respond honestly...

Lexx is good, no question; he has a lot of build experience and does know how to bring out synergy in a build...

However, I believe his thought process is tainted by Americanized thought; look for the bad 1st in the unfamiliar...

I believe that clouds his judgement on gear sets that he's already made his mind up as being "bad"...

My thought process is different than this...

I look for the good 1st...

If I see enough "good" in something then I think up ways to magnify that goodness and see if I can make something great of it...

And no, I would never immediately put someone down for disagreeing with me about a build decision...

What I would do is (if I feel its warranted) debate the person on the merits of that which they feel is sub-optimal and I feel that is reasonable...

My opinion on something has been swayed in the past and can be done so again, so I am open to new idea's...

What I am not open to is the type of ignorance (which Lexx possesses) that causes one to automatically put something down that he's already decided is bad...

My reasoning behind calling Lexx ignorant is sound...is it not?

Oh and btw @WreckfulAbandon

You say you want this discussion to be peaceful, and yet you say (in no uncertain terms) that you are ok with negativity thrown my way, but you have a problem with negativity thrown his way!?

That's no way to promote 'a peaceful discussion.'

Edited by TheDoomsdayMonster on August 16, 2018 6:06AM
    Unyeilding Bias
    PSN TheLordofMurder
    PS4 NA
    Magicka Templar
    DC
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Brutusmax1mus I feel like DEsert Rose+Shadowrend+Necro should be worth losing Master’s Ice staff.

I don’t think it’s logical to build for 100% shield uptime because Magplar offense is hard to set up. Since you also have no means to avoid damage DR will give better sustain than Lich, even factoring in the 2-4pc bonuses. It will give you the same amount of Max Magika and you can combine Harness+DR+Ele Drain and have Mist Form be essentially free.

Remember though that Magplar has no class passives to increase Max Magika which means as a High Elf you would receive 20% CP bonus 10% Racial and 10% from Inner Light+Entropy.
    Edited by Lexxypwns on August 16, 2018 4:07AM
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any synergy with leash and jabs/sweeps (can never remember which is which)?

I absolutely love my Stamsorc
    Absolutely love my Warden

And then I got my vamplar....

And I don't love it. I want to love it.

I usually start out with a melee magplar and people don't die like I want, sweeping jabs just doesn't hit jack
    I eventually then try a range thing and roll dodge/block make me hate it.

For the playstyle you'd think Templar would have a hurricane like ability
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • SneaK
    SneaK
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I usually start out with a melee magplar and people don't die like I want, sweeping jabs just doesn't hit jack

Backbarring Time Freeze is a ridiculous way to reset fights as a Templar. Synergizes extremely well with a brawler Magplar.

"IMO"
    Aldmeri Dominion
    Bosmer Nightblade AR 32 - Altmer Templar AR 26 - Dunmer Dragonknight AR 18 - Altmer Sorcerer AR 20 - Khajiit Dragonknight AR 18
    (+3 not worth mentioning, yet)
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You don’t need a shield on magplar but harness Magicka is really good in open world when facing mag builds , even more so in outnumbered fights because they feed you resources. And you avoid crits briefly, so it’s decent when you’re running glass.

In bgs it’s not worth slotting most of the time.
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You don’t need a shield on magplar but harness Magicka is really good in open world when facing mag builds , even more so in outnumbered fights because they feed you resources. And you avoid crits briefly, so it’s decent when you’re running glass.

In bgs it’s not worth slotting most of the time.

You would If you're going light armor with no defensive sets. You can't tell me light armor with out shields or defensive sets works for anything but zerging or zerg surfing. 2 solid players focus you and you're toast. Light armor users without a form of defense die to 1 burst cc combo.

The max mag approach is so effective on sorc, warden, and blades (probably bc of necro) but the defense and damage it adds even with 45k mag is great. I really just need to put it in the build calculator and test tooltips myself.

@Lexxypwns desert rose is great solo, but im more in a duo or trio and the time when not taking damage diminishes the effect tremendously. Even ccing and forcing a DD opponent to go defensive at the wrong time punishes the user of DR, even los hurts it vs those not using dots. 4 second cooldown becoming 8, 10, or more really kills that set for me. It happens a lot. That's my reasoning for not using DR. I only use it on my magden healer at this point (outstandingly fun to play a front line healer, shimmering shield is so broken). I also hate the spell resist bonus. I think all resistance 2-4pcs should be halved but provide both types, allowing for back/ front barring to be more effective while not diminishing constant 5pc potential at all.

The ice staff on this build is more for fighting magicka with sweeps or draining a stam characters resources with alternating lock down/total dark usage.

I had some success going full glass and slotting a shield for direct combat but that was running 38k mag in maiden/ss before the empower nerf to flare. I also don't wanna go there route that makes my heals awful like maiden ss does, figured max mag is a good compromise. I'll just do spc/lich give it a shot.
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m perplexed by your reply, what do you think glass is?
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's puzzling about my reply? I want to pump max magicka to provide my damage and also defense through shields, and not blocking/ sets.

On a magplar, light armor with out running at least 1 defensive set or shields. That would not work for close quarters, outnumbered fighting. Light armor Is so easy to shred through.

I appreciate the constructive input though guys. Im fully aware shields are not as effective on templar, but i think I'll be able to dish out more damage without breaking my defense completely.

Am i missing any good max mag sets? Maybe even tbs for the mag mundus would help me push higher magicka.

Ice staff isn't for blocking either, it's for the root to force an action to provide me with the time to switch to offense. Shields, snare, sweeps to recover hp while shields up.

Idk I'm skeptical lol. I'll let yall know how it goes. If you can think of something for me to try holler.
    Edited by Brutusmax1mus on August 16, 2018 3:42PM
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's puzzling about my reply? I want to pump max magicka to provide my damage and also defense through shields, and not blocking/ sets.

On a magplar, light armor with out running at least 1 defensive set or shields. That would not work for close quarters, outnumbered fighting. Light armor Is so easy to shred through.

I appreciate the constructive input though guys. Im fully aware shields are not as effective on templar, but i think I'll be able to dish out more damage without breaking my defense completely.

Am i missing any good max mag sets? Maybe even tbs for the mag mundus would help me push higher magicka.

Ice staff isn't for blocking either, it's for the root to force an action to provide me with the time to switch to offense. Shields, snare, sweeps to recover hp while shields up.

Idk I'm skeptical lol. I'll let yall know how it goes. If you can think of something for me to try holler.

When I said shields aren’t needed I meant with the average Templar build since most run some form of mitigation. That’s why I later said they’re decent on glass builds.

And You can have 40k plus Magicka and have high spell damage with decent sustain with glass or without. Think I posted a screenshot in this thread with those stats.
  • SneaK
    SneaK
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I mean as others have said, mag shield stacking on a Templar isn’t exactly optimal. For theorycrafting max mag shield builds just go google MagSorc.

It’s sort of funny how one poster caught so much heat in here for telling us about his niche mist build, and now you’re asking the same internet for advice on a niche shield build. And sorry if I’m being rude, witnessing hypocrisy drives me mad.

Side note Lexxypwns posted a build further back that had over 40k magicka. Also, @THEDKEXPERIENCE has stated he’s been above 50k on a magplar.

GL

"IMO"
    Aldmeri Dominion
    Bosmer Nightblade AR 32 - Altmer Templar AR 26 - Dunmer Dragonknight AR 18 - Altmer Sorcerer AR 20 - Khajiit Dragonknight AR 18
  • Akuso
    Akuso
    Soul Shriven
    Good thread, very informative.

I'm new to pvp and like the look of pvp magplar, probably melee for no-CP Cyrodil and BG's... so based on what I've read above would 5 heavy Shacklebreaker and a damage set (Innate Axiom or War Maiden) + Monster Helm suffice? I have Pirate Skeleton/Valkyn Skoria/Grothdarr ready to go at present.

Leaning towards DW/S&B but considering putting a staff on one bar for some ranged option, even if only for some light attacks.
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SneaK wrote: »

I mean as others have said, mag shield stacking on a Templar isn’t exactly optimal. For theorycrafting max mag shield builds just go google MagSorc.

It’s sort of funny how one poster caught so much heat in here for telling us about his niche mist build, and now you’re asking the same internet for advice on a niche shield build. And sorry if I’m being rude, witnessing hypocrisy drives me mad.

Side note Lexxypwns posted a build further back that had over 40k magicka. Also, @THEDKEXPERIENCE has stated he’s been above 50k on a magplar.

GL

Im asking for experienced replies for putting a build together, not telling you his how amazing a max mag templar is. How is that at all similar? And using shields is far less niche than his builds. I'm merely asking for advice and taking about it to brainstorm with others. Not once did i say this was UNBELIEVABLE and very effective. Only that i wanted to try it, and if anyone had any input from experience.

I stated my goal, my ideas, and asked for input. What's hypocritical about that. The quote you referenced was a respone to what glass builds are, bc he asked.

Everyone looking for a fight jesus... how about if you haven't made a max mag build for templar, i don't want your input on how it plays? Is that fair?
  • Ariades_swe
    Ariades_swe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So I've been trying out 2×Swift together with Race Against Time and it improved my open world magplar experience a ton. Much easier to land my sweeps and really good escape with Race and swift stacking.
    Edited by Ariades_swe on August 16, 2018 5:24PM
  • SneaK
    SneaK
    ✭✭✭✭✭

GL

Im asking for experienced replies for putting a build together, not telling you his how amazing a max mag templar is. How is that at all similar? And using shields is far less niche than his builds. I'm merely asking for advice and taking about it to brainstorm with others. Not once did i say this was UNBELIEVABLE and very effective. Only that i wanted to try it, and if anyone had any input from experience.

I stated my goal, my ideas, and asked for input. What's hypocritical about that. The quote you referenced was a respone to what glass builds are, bc he asked.

Everyone looking for a fight jesus... how about if you haven't made a max mag build for templar, i don't want your input on how it plays? Is that fair?

I’m not looking for a fight man, it just seemed like everyone was posting min max builds and one guy who posted a niche build got fried. I’m a proponent for playing how you want, do you.

Here’s stolen advice on a max mag Temp I remember reading:
    This is off of memory but it should be pretty accurate.

64 points into Magic
    5 Julianos
    3 Grace of the Ancients (jewelry)
    2 Willpower (I have double staff currently)
    2 Monster Set (mismatched monster sets will actually achieve higher magic)
    All magic or spell power enchants
    Infused on big, divines on small
    Ice comet, entropy and inner light
    Undaunted (in at 8, 9 is ideal)
    Mage mundus

I think that’s all that matters aside from your champion points. I reconfigured my build a bit but I’m at 51535 magic currently I believe. If I went sword and board (extra magic enchant) I could get to 57k easily without adding a 4th, and mostly worthless, mage guild ability.

For this to work you’re going to need an exceptionally large shield or two, and heavy attack more than you’d normally would for sustain issues. Good luck!

"IMO"
    Aldmeri Dominion
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

GL

I’m not looking for a fight man, it just seemed like everyone was posting min max builds and one guy who posted a niche build got fried. I’m a proponent for playing how you want, do you.

64 points into Magic
    5 Julianos
    Mage mundus

I think that’s all that matters aside from your champion points. I reconfigured my build a bit but I’m at 51535 magic currently I believe. If I went sword and board (extra magic enchant) I could get to 57k easily without adding a 4th, and mostly worthless, mage guild ability.

For this to work you’re going to need an exceptionally large shield or two, and heavy attack more than you’d normally would for sustain issues. Good luck!

Seems like that woulda have to play differently based on having so many mages build skills.

Im looking to use clench, bane, sweeps (maybe flare), total dark, Rd, purifying, extended ritual, channeled focusing, htd, degeneration. Total dark or rd being flex, depending on if rd is any good now. So the magicka is going to have to come from sets more than %modifiers. Another thing bringing it down huh.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At this point I'm gonna make my plar PvE
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At this point I'm gonna make my plar PvE

What's... pve.... precious

Edit:i watched the fellowship last night, sorry
    Edited by Brutusmax1mus on August 16, 2018 5:40PM
  • SneaK
    SneaK
    ✭✭✭✭✭

GL

64 points into Magic
    5 Julianos
    Mage mundus

Seems like that woulda have to play differently based on having so many mages build skills.

Im looking to use clench, bane, sweeps (maybe flare), total dark, Rd, purifying, extended ritual, channeled focusing, htd, degeneration. Total dark or rd being flex, depending on if rd is any good now. So the magicka is going to have to come from sets more than %modifiers. Another thing bringing it down huh.

You are gonna have to drop some of those skills for shields, too.. I think he played it more of a dark flare, CC, Soul Assault type of burst build.

"IMO"
    Aldmeri Dominion
  • MalagenR
    MalagenR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Run heavy. It’s got perfect synergy with the whole magplar kit. The extra healing, health, and resists allows you to actually benefit from the sweeps heal and extends your offensive window.

For a simple change you could put Wizard’s on your back bar, Heavy Shackle on your body, and 2pc Willpower front bar.

I’m running 5 Overwhelming Surge 5 Sload 2 Skoria in heavy. Tri-stat food, 3x tri-glyphs and atro mundus. Speed+Lingering pots. Inferno Destro+SnB. Next patch I’ll sub Impreg for sload and run 5 sturdy including shield. With the sload nerf and improvements to Templar next patch and Radiant being useful again I don’t think as much damage is required.

Also, Time Freeze is disgusting when used in synergy with sweeps and Destro ult/devouring swarm.

Templar struggles getting off the defense and onto offense so Surge, Skoria, and Time freeze all have excellent benefits for Magplar since they allow you to pressure and buy time to get your damage out. You have the ability to force someone to be defensive while you’re on defense and also a delayed aoe CC that lets you go offensive before it goes off knowing it will relieve massive pressure.

Oh, CP matter a lot

wow Overwhelming + Sloads, you're not playing games.
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

GL

64 points into Magic
    5 Julianos
    Mage mundus

You are gonna have to drop some of those skills for shields, too.. I think he played it more of a dark flare, CC, Soul Assault type of burst build.

Oooooo good point, hate it already lol
    Edited by Brutusmax1mus on August 16, 2018 6:03PM
  • Datolite
    Datolite
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Backbarring Time Freeze is a ridiculous way to reset fights as a Templar. Synergizes extremely well with a brawler Magplar.

It's a great tool for the "house" when you need it. Throw down focus and ritual after a time freeze and you'll be fully buffed and healed when it snaps shut on anyone coming in. It's a game changer for melee. Also great for popping people out of stealth. Now you can morph ritual to cleanse 5 effects per cast and you're solid.