The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Magplar PvP

xGhost91x
xGhost91x
So I'm still pretty new to magicka classes in PvP (old stam DK main) and I need some advice. I can get some kills but I'm WAY too squishy.

I'm currently running:
2 Skoria (heavy)
5 Spinners (chest, legs. boots, Nirnhoned inferno staff)
5 Wizard's Riposte (belt, gloves, jewelry)
2 Song of Lamae (sword and shield on back bar).

Anyone have any advice for a newbie Magplar?
  • Baconlad
    Baconlad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a solid build!

I hate to say this...But you need to spend time learning how to defend properly. Your purges, heals. You'll get the feeling somthing bad is about to happen and just KNOW what to cast and when.

Make sure you are fully impended out. I would also suggest mist form and vampirism. Reason being is proper line of sight. You NEVER want to over extend in cyrodil, even the tankiest DPS toon no matter the class cannot afford to over extend, magplar is supposed to wait until ur enemies are on top of you.

Also, are you using total dark? Its about the best CC you will find to use. If ur enemy is stupid enough not to break it, than you are neigh unkillable 1v1 while it's up.

One more thing, I would suggest as well a regen set instead of spinners. Spinners is GREAT in experienced hands. But for less experienced players you be better off running a set like desert rose with riposte on back bar or lich would work too.

You need to be patient as a magplar...ur not a magsorc who can double their HP with uncrittable shields, and jump in for 4 seconds wrecking stuff. You have to be smarter than your enemy.

Having trouble with magplar...ur NOT alone on this.

The way you have to play is very reactive. To react to what ur enemy is doing as opposed to just going through a rotation like most other classes.

You'll get the hang of it, at this point it's all just learning how to use ur skills properly
  • Mr_Nobody
    Mr_Nobody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Either heavy or 2 defensive sets on light if you want to take some beating. Like pirate + light impreg or riposte.
    ~ @Niekas ~

• danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magplar, unlike some other classes, really needs to build defense through sets and Heavy Armor, blocking and traits. Our main defense, outside of blocking, is big burst heals which require you to take a load of damage to be effective (unlike a shield that you can lay on top of your health bar at any time for example).

At the same time Templars are not very mobile and struggle to disengage, which is why so many rely on Mist Form for speed and immunity to snares, stuns and immobilize.

Unfortunately stacking defense will diminish your offensive capabilities probably more than other classes, since Templars lack any real good CC and burst capabilities. Even a DK that stacks defense can still put you down with a well timed burst from Leap. Templars best burst comes from Soul Assault (which is a DoT, so not technically a good burst skill), or Dawnbreaker (which is physical damage, so again not ideal).

Your loadout looks pretty good, and if you find you just want a little more defense you could go with Mighty Chudan 2-pc (which can free up a skill slot if you want to drop Channeled Focus), or maybe try Shacklebreaker which is very solid on Magplar instead of Spinners.
  • xGhost91x
    xGhost91x
    Thanks for the tips guys! I originally started out with Skoria, heavy Shacklebreaker (and sword and board), and Wizard's Riposte. I may switch it out to Shacklebreaker+Lich and see how it does.
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Run heavy. It’s got perfect synergy with the whole magplar kit. The extra healing, health, and resists allows you to actually benefit from the sweeps heal and extends your offensive window.

For a simple change you could put Wizard’s on your back bar, Heavy Shackle on your body, and 2pc Willpower front bar.

I’m running 5 Overwhelming Surge 5 Sload 2 Skoria in heavy. Tri-stat food, 3x tri-glyphs and atro mundus. Speed+Lingering pots. Inferno Destro+SnB. Next patch I’ll sub Impreg for sload and run 5 sturdy including shield. With the sload nerf and improvements to Templar next patch and Radiant being useful again I don’t think as much damage is required.

Also, Time Freeze is disgusting when used in synergy with sweeps and Destro ult/devouring swarm.

Templar struggles getting off the defense and onto offense so Surge, Skoria, and Time freeze all have excellent benefits for Magplar since they allow you to pressure and buy time to get your damage out. You have the ability to force someone to be defensive while you’re on defense and also a delayed aoe CC that lets you go offensive before it goes off knowing it will relieve massive pressure.

Oh, CP matter a lot
    Edited by Lexxypwns on July 28, 2018 10:25PM
  • xGhost91x
    xGhost91x
    Heavy it is! What skills would you recommend?
  • Lieblingsjunge
    Lieblingsjunge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been playing Light Sloads/Skoria/Lich today in no-cp BGs. Except the random 1-shots that I have no clue where come from - I'm not dying that fast. Tested it against a magDK, going from Heavy => Light increased my dmg by 9% and made me take 9% more damage.
    Although - if I was playing CP, I would swap out Lich for Riposte probably. Since you have to spec for defence on a magplar mainly..... I kinda rely on that skoria proc to even do some damage(Before sload's, that is).

Idk. Next patch Templars get some love - so maybe it'll be alrighty then again. Although I'm playing resto/destro - walls/reflective light/Purifying Light/Shock Clench/Beam. Sometimes I swap out Purifying Light for the Blazing Spear.

I honestly feel a lot more comfortable in destro/resto set-up. Although it got a weakness against reflect - the ground dots ticks pretty neatly on the enemies while you go defensive to heal up.
    Ignorance is the greatest weapon of tyranny.
    PC - EU.
    Lieblingsjunge(AD) - Racechanged Argonian :< | AR 50 - No double AP or Bleakers involved |
    Sits-On-Cacti(DC) - Problem?
    Fail-With-Tail(AD) - Healing Springs-spammer :<
    Tiny Liebs(EP) - Very Tiny. Also heals.
    Lieblingsmädchen(DC) - Magplar is love.
    The Dominàtrix(AD) - Chains, whip, whip, whip.
    Fluffy Furball Kitten(DC) - Kittycat, meow.
    Your Face(EP) - People make bad jokes about my name =(
    Liebs-With-Trees(AD) - Male argo with a big tail :>

Officer/Sandwitch of Zerg Squad
    My title: The Maneater, Destroyer of Maneuvers, Bane of Potatoes, she who devours them, The Black Hole, the humorless, first of her name.
  • WreckfulAbandon
    WreckfulAbandon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lexxypwns wrote: »
    Run heavy. It’s got perfect synergy with the whole magplar kit. The extra healing, health, and resists allows you to actually benefit from the sweeps heal and extends your offensive window.

For a simple change you could put Wizard’s on your back bar, Heavy Shackle on your body, and 2pc Willpower front bar.

I’m running 5 Overwhelming Surge 5 Sload 2 Skoria in heavy. Tri-stat food, 3x tri-glyphs and atro mundus. Speed+Lingering pots. Inferno Destro+SnB. Next patch I’ll sub Impreg for sload and run 5 sturdy including shield. With the sload nerf and improvements to Templar next patch and Radiant being useful again I don’t think as much damage is required.

Also, Time Freeze is disgusting when used in synergy with sweeps and Destro ult/devouring swarm.

Templar struggles getting off the defense and onto offense so Surge, Skoria, and Time freeze all have excellent benefits for Magplar since they allow you to pressure and buy time to get your damage out. You have the ability to force someone to be defensive while you’re on defense and also a delayed aoe CC that lets you go offensive before it goes off knowing it will relieve massive pressure.

Oh, CP matter a lot

That's exactly what I've been running on Magplar. I call it the NB killer lol. Load them up with DoTs, Eclipse, then if you get the flame reach stun go right into Soul Assault = goodnight NB's

Time Freeze is great to get back on the offensive. So is Eclipse. Only have room for one of them on my bar rn and it's currently Eclipse. Honestly surprises me sometimes how many ppl will get hit by it for the full 6 seconds rather than CC break.
    PC NA

All my comments are regarding PvP
  • Ariades_swe
    Ariades_swe
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh, CP matter a lot

Hey Lexxy you used to be an advocate for light armor magplar with wizard riposte as defensive set.
    What made you switch to a heavy setup?
  • Jimmy_The_Fixer
    Jimmy_The_Fixer
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh, CP matter a lot

Why bother with CP? triple proc set is gonna be at its best in Sotha and BGs anyway.
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Waffennacht I don’t like Eclipse because it’s a bit too much of a gamble compared to Time Freeze, which at the absolute worst gives you area denial and at best mitigates tons of damage and holds multiple players in your sweeps+offensive ultimate. Not that Eclipse isn’t good, more that I’m not good enough to have any real risk in my build
  • xGhost91x
    xGhost91x
    So I'm thinking of going back to 2 heavy Skoria, 5 heavy Shacklebreaker, and 5 Wizard's Riposte, with sword and shield on front bar amd Resto staff on back bar. Does Bloodspawn work well on Magplars?
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Ariades_swe light attack damage changes and buffs to a couple of specific classes as well as the addition of sload means you now need more mitigation. The pressure you can apply with sload+Skoria is enough to compensate what you lose from light armor, while giving you much more survivability than a single defensive set in light.

It’s just a question of efficiency. You can be viable in either, but imo it’s easier to get everything you need in Summerset from heavy. Time stop, sweeps, bats, and lingering pots all have great synergy with heavy and allow you to get a larger offensive window than that combo would allow in light. And if you prefer Soul Assault then that’s best with heavy too.
    Edited by Lexxypwns on July 29, 2018 5:38AM
  • Stibbons
    Stibbons
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magplar is just not viable. Any other class is much easier. You just cannot take the damage because of own low dps and low defence options.
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stibbons wrote: »
    Magplar is just not viable. Any other class is much easier. You just cannot take the damage because of own low dps and low defence options.

I wouldn't go that far.
  • xGhost91x
    xGhost91x
    I tried 2 Skoria, 5 Shacklebreaker, 5 Wizard's Riposte and I wasn't really impressed with the damage. Maybe if I sub out Wizard's for Spinners or something? Also, what weapon setups should I be looking at? I'm currently using sword and shield on front bar and Resto staff on back bar.
  • ak_pvp
    ak_pvp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'd swap spinners for shackle/innate 5pc on the body or some similar set. Put riposte on the jewlery and back bar (Easy proc and high uptime) and then put a willpower inferno front bar. Spinner is too situational with the magsorc meta, and swapping for an allrounder set like innate and shackle would increase survival and ease to play nicely, with front barred willpower you will be getting more than enough damage on a light plar.

Of course if you do want to go for the heavy route as lexxy said, Riposte+light≈Heavy+sloads, in survival/damage. Sloads+heavy being better vs certain matchups, but you lose some multi target and overal damage in exchange for higher offensive time slots.

Go vamp for mist and bats. Its such a good ult, especially for magplar. If you want to not use mist, you can swap out willpower inferno for a 2h, and slot FM so you won't be permasnared or rooted after purging, but you lose ele drain and some weave damage in exchange for better mobility.
    MagDK main. PC/EU @AK-ESO
    Best houseknight EU.
  • Ashamray
    Ashamray
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh, CP matter a lot

I have no clue how that can be sustainable in typical fight where you're focused by 2 decent opponents. Are you running with bunch of friends who help when you OOM?
    Edited by Ashamray on July 30, 2018 8:36AM
    Boadrig, EU PC

Very Balanced
    Battleground Beta Testers
    Cite's Legacy
    Colosseum

Imperial City frequenter
    Imperial City feedback and suggestions
  • Checkmath
    Checkmath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    there are some simple rules for playing a magplar in pvp regarding build and especially gear.
    mostly you either go heavy armor or light armor with defensive sets (wizards riposte, fortified brass, pariah or pirate skeleton). especially if you are new to magplar, i really recommend sticking to that rule.
    if you are in light armor, i recommend a balanced allrounder set in addition to the defensive one, since you still have to get your sustain together. somthing like shacklebreaker will be a good choice. damage should be a real problem, since you benefit from penetration passives. if you stick to heavy armor you really need either two allrounder sets for somehow damage and sustain or a sustain set together with a damage set. you need to find a balance between sustain and damage there, compared to light armor you lack the penetration and you need to make that up with either spinners or more spelldamage.
    only if you are experienced you can start to drift away from that rule, but keep in mind, you need at least a bit tankyness, since magplars lack a proactive defense, so you have to make sure that you cant get big hits, otherwise healing up afterwards will be hard.

for the skills its a matter of playstyle, if you rather want to stay in range or go in for the melee fight. here another problem comes up. templars are pretty bad in ranged fights compared to other classes, since kiting is difficult without much skills to boost your speed or to reduce the enemies one (nightblades for example have both together in one skill...). still you need to make sure to have a knockback in your toolkit then (javelin is the class skill), outside of the class trees flame reach is a good option (especially with a master inferno staff). if you go for the ranged playstyle, i recommend going with light armor, so that your attacks have also some impact with penetration (wizards riposte sword and shield back bar together with a master inferno staff is a solid option).

if you go for the melee some kind of berserker playstyle, jabs are your best friends. this makes the weapon choice interesting, since staves either boost aoe or single target damage and your damage kit consists of both type of skills. therefore dual wield or 2h are also an option, since they buff the damage from all your skills, but leave you with small weaving damage. in melee range its also important to have some kind of mobility (through cleanse or what makes 2h a bit interesting through snare immunity by using forward momentum). also the new psychic skill channeled acceleration or race with time are interesting choices. in melee range i would recommend heavy armor, since you are confronted with more heavy hitting hits, which you might consider blocking. heavy armor helps out with some additional stamina sustaina dn also amplifies your healing (also the healing from your jabs). backbar weapon is probably a matter of ultimate you want to use. for straight saving your ass both spell wall from the sword and shield skill line but also lights champion from the healing staff line are great. if you play in melee range (outnumbered especially) also devouring swarm is very strong. another reason why vampire is a good option for magplars (also mistform for sure is already enough reason).

so my 2 cents: first think about your playstyle: melee vs. ranged and then start to build accordingly.
  • SugaComa
    SugaComa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chudan, soulshine, warmaiden or innate axiom
    Enjoy
  • Checkmath
    Checkmath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SugaComa wrote: »
    Chudan, soulshine, warmaiden or innate axiom
    Enjoy

you cant suggest such a build to a new magplar player....
  • WreckfulAbandon
    WreckfulAbandon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ashamray wrote: »

Oh, CP matter a lot

I have no clue how that can be sustainable in typical fight where you're focused by 2 decent opponents. Are you running with bunch of friends who help when you OOM?

I run the same thing with witchmother's. 5 heavy, 2 light, breton. It performs well with speed/lingering pots but sometimes you need to use a tripot. I think only one recovery glyph. Run solo and duo just fine and gotten many good resource farms and some other good fights away from resources :D . Playstyle emphasis is on intense single target pressure. DoTs, procs, soul assault + reflective light. If you're against multiple good players, you have to make your damage count or you don't last a long time. It's def not a blockplar. But you can take a lot of builds out rather quickly and pressure any offensive build well. You can kill tanks too. Had several fights where we both waved/bowed after 5 min and walked away. Get my fair share of salt too. By now I've heard just about every complaint against Sloads there is :p
    PC NA

All my comments are regarding PvP
  • Ashamray
    Ashamray
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ashamray wrote: »

Oh, CP matter a lot

I run the same thing with witchmother's. 5 heavy, 2 light, breton. It performs well with speed/lingering pots but sometimes you need to use a tripot. I think only one recovery glyph. Run solo and duo just fine and gotten many good resource farms and some other good fights away from resources :D . Playstyle emphasis is on intense single target pressure. DoTs, procs, soul assault + reflective light. If you're against multiple good players, you have to make your damage count or you don't last a long time. It's def not a blockplar. But you can take a lot of builds out rather quickly and pressure any offensive build well. You can kill tanks too. Had several fights where we both waved/bowed after 5 min and walked away. Get my fair share of salt too. By now I've heard just about every complaint against Sloads there is :p

Here we have another side of Templar - Nigtblades or Sorcs will outdamage you because of their fast strong nukes, and there always be situations when you are forced to block-heal no matter how good you're at damage dealing. Only real thing that punishes agressors is not your high but still clunky damage, it is Eclipse ability.
    Boadrig, EU PC

Very Balanced
    Battleground Beta Testers
    Cite's Legacy
    Colosseum

Imperial City frequenter
    Imperial City feedback and suggestions
  • TheDoomsdayMonster
    TheDoomsdayMonster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lately I've been running:

Mighty Chudan x2 (1H/1M)...
    Spectre's Eye x5 (5L)...
    Combat Physician x5 (Resto/Dual Wield/Jewelry)...

That build gives me excellent survivability, excellent healing, excellent support, and just enough burst to kill most opponents with a well timed Soul Assault (it even manages to have 56% Spell Crit in CP enabled campaigns)...

Due to the high que times in Cyrodiil, I've been running this in Battlegrounds (which I typically don't do) and it performs very, very, well for me...

Being able to combine Elusive Mist with Major Evasion and Mighty Chudans defensive benefits (which have 100% uptime) will be a very significant boost to your survivability...

;)
    Edited by TheDoomsdayMonster on July 30, 2018 1:16PM
    Unyeilding Bias
    PSN TheLordofMurder
    PS4 NA
    Magicka Templar
    DC
    The Combat Physician: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKaqUVm_8JE&t=142s
  • Datolite
    Datolite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What do you guys think of this for a turtle/defensive build in BGs?

5 Soulshine (heavy)
    5 Light of Cyrodiil
    2H and SnB
    2 Skoria (light, med) or if you want to be immortal, Troll King
    Synergizes with skills like Introspection and Restoring Focus to become nearly unkillable (53% damage resist plus heavy armor it's like 80%). Remembrance and Soul Assault, sweeps are buffed. My only concern is lack of burst potential. Any thoughts?

EDIT: Here is a link http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=73468
    Edited by Datolite on July 30, 2018 1:31PM
  • BNOC
    BNOC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been playing Light Sloads/Skoria/Lich today in no-cp BGs. Except the random 1-shots that I have no clue where come from - I'm not dying that fast. Tested it against a magDK, going from Heavy => Light increased my dmg by 9% and made me take 9% more damage.

I get you're trying to wait for Skoria procs but the same could have been achieved with Slimecraw - Without sacrificing defence. Skoria's unpredictability and target selection can be problematic - Slimecraw is direct and specific.

To OP:
    1. Run 5 heavy.
    2. Don't build too defensive or you'll turn into a healbot/never get good at Templar - build for more damage and die repeatedly until you just don't anymore - If you're offensive on a Templar, you win the fight. If you're sitting back bar holding block and casting heals, you're probably going to lose.
    3. Don't run spinners, there's too many shields in the game at the minute and you're limiting your potential too much.
    4. Do not run Total Dark - You'll get done in and cockblock yourself vs any competent player. (Subjective as you may find it beneficial against noobs - My general verdict is no)
    5. Do not drop whatever morph of Focus you use for any reason.
    6. Vamp is optional; the recovery and dmg reductions are nice and Mist may well be a pre-requisite for new magplars but if you can learn to play without it, you'll be stronger for it.
    7. Templar is kiting 101 - Try and group enemies - Play to your surroundings, if you see a tunnel/doorway/staircase or a crate, using LOS or pulling groups into those funnels is a massive advantage to you - Especially if alone.
    Edited by BNOC on July 30, 2018 2:02PM
    vMSA - Magplar - Xbox EU - 15/11/16
    578,000 - 36 Minutes 58 Seconds (Top 2 World?)

vMSA - Magplar - Xbox NA
    569,000 - 40 minutes (350CP, Non optimised runs)
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What do you guys think of this for a turtle/defensive build in BGs?

5 Soulshine (heavy)
    5 Light of Cyrodiil
    2H and SnB
    2 Skoria (light, med) or if you want to be immortal, Troll King
    Synergizes with skills like Introspection and Restoring Focus to become nearly unkillable (53% damage resist plus heavy armor it's like 80%). Remembrance and Soul Assault, sweeps are buffed. My only concern is lack of burst potential. Any thoughts?

EDIT: Here is a link http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=73468

Nothing about that build is turtle or defensive.
  • UppGRAYxDD
    UppGRAYxDD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Midyear Mayhem PvP cp or no cp build: 5 Sloads/5 VD/2skoria/asylum SnB backbar. Rotation: fire scattershot/fire meat bags/pour oil...
    "Stendarr's mercy be upon you, for the vigil has none to spare."
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    xGhost91x wrote: »
    So I'm still pretty new to magicka classes in PvP (old stam DK main) and I need some advice. I can get some kills but I'm WAY too squishy.

I'm currently running:
    2 Skoria (heavy)
    5 Spinners (chest, legs. boots, Nirnhoned inferno staff)
    5 Wizard's Riposte (belt, gloves, jewelry)
    2 Song of Lamae (sword and shield on back bar).

Anyone have any advice for a newbie Magplar?

Lots of decent advice in this thread. Probably the best is
    BNOC wrote: »
    Don't build too defensive or you'll turn into a healbot/never get good at Templar - build for more damage and die repeatedly until you just don't anymore - If you're offensive on a Templar, you win the fight. If you're sitting back bar holding block and casting heals, you're probably going to lose.

On a Templar, I don't like damage sets that do not increase healing like spinners and war maiden.

Light armor templar is not going to be easy as you're squish pretty much whenever you're not holding down block. You must play aggressively. I play it because I find the damage insufferable playing as heavy if you're not loading up on proc sets, which is something you found out for yourself.

So squish or meh damage, go one way or the other and do the best you can.

As a newer player, I'd probably recommend heavy and using the elemental drain skill, which will get back the penetration you're losing not going light. Back in the day, I used the Rattlecage set and I liked it.

• Neoauspex
    Neoauspex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Asylum S/B backbar is the answer to half the posts in this thread.