Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Jewelry Crafting: Get ready for the worst grind in ESO's history

• Facefister
    Facefister
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I really don't understand the reasoning behind this. First they sell gold Jewelry at a merchant like a cheap F2P korean MMO and in the meantime they say they want to keep gold jewelry as something "rare and valuable". Before you say "but War-Machine jewelry!", you don't even need to go that far, just think about crafted sets. Why should I farm for weeks for hundings, NMG or Spriggan gold jewelry? Why should I use this crafting at all? vAA jewelry farm is much faster. Instead of allowing set diversity, ZOS makes it as unappealing as possible.
    Edited by Facefister on May 8, 2018 5:05PM
  • lygerseye
    lygerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nebthet78 wrote: »
    @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_RichLambert

Threads like these need to STOP being moved from the General Discussion into areas where other players will rarely see it.

Players have the right to know what is going on and to have an opinion about it.

These threads being moved tells me you are just trying to cover up bad publicity and stiffle the truth from getting out to a majority of your player base.

I am now informing people that they need to cancel their Summerset Preorders. Especially the digital ones. And yes, you can cancel them.

Speak with your wallet people. The only thing that was really attractive about Summerset was the Jewellery Crafting and they have made it into such a horrid grind, you would be better off just going to get a real job for the 8 hours a day and making real money that you can spend on yourself to buy a game that will bring you more joy that a game like ESO that makes you work worse than my ancestors in the cotton fields.

Crafting belongs in the crafting forum.

Plenty of examples of active discussions that have been in General for a week or more that could have easily been moved to another category but haven’t been. Those threads seem to be more “positive”, while this and a few other discussions with more of a negative tone have been moved out of general. At its most benign, it’s inconsistent moderating. But because of the apparent positive/negative pattern, it feels like there’s a bit of PR spin to their actions.
    Edited by lygerseye on May 8, 2018 5:19PM
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its.Too.Much.

PC EU
    PvP only
  • JimmyJuJu
    JimmyJuJu
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think it's pretty clear the intent here is to discourage selling jewelry in guild stores and encourage people to buy the Summerset chapter (so people can craft their own jewels vs. buy them in the guild store). Take it for what it is.

We all collectively wished for jewelry crafting. We all collectively failed to wish for reasonable jewelry crafting. Our bad.
  • Facefister
    Facefister
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    JimmyJuJu wrote: »
    I think it's pretty clear the intent here is to discourage selling jewelry in guild stores and encourage people to buy the Summerset chapter (so people can craft their own jewels vs. buy them in the guild store). Take it for what it is.

We all collectively wished for jewelry crafting. We all collectively failed to wish for reasonable jewelry crafting. Our bad.

You're right, why would nice things even happen.
  • Iselin
    Iselin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    code65536 wrote: »
    For what it is worth, I just did one run around the perimeter of a starter island and found 22 seams in about a half hour.
    This is more than I found on the run before the update.

So that comes out to one node every 80s. So to answer @Merlin13KAGL's inquiry of how many hours it'd take if people harvested at this rate, it'd be ((48000/3.85)*80)/3600 = 277 hours of straight nonstop harvesting to gold three rings. Or almost 7 weeks of a full-time job.

That's only true in a dead server (like the PTS) when you're the only one harvesting. It'd be more like 70 weeks of a full-time job with the intense competition for this very lucrative new mat.
  • Facefister
    Facefister
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Iselin wrote: »
    For what it is worth, I just did one run around the perimeter of a starter island and found 22 seams in about a half hour.

So that comes out to one node every 80s. So to answer @Merlin13KAGL's inquiry of how many hours it'd take if people harvested at this rate, it'd be ((48000/3.85)*80)/3600 = 277 hours of straight nonstop harvesting to gold three rings. Or almost 7 weeks of a full-time job.

That's only true in a dead server (like the PTS) when you're the only one harvesting. It'd be more like 70 weeks of a full-time job with the intense competition for this very lucrative new mat.

Someone should do the math about how many vAA, vSO gold jewelry you would be able to get in that time.
  • JimmyJuJu
    JimmyJuJu
    ✭✭✭✭
    Facefister wrote: »

Honestly - I'm personally indifferent to this whole jewelry thing. We have all worked around it just fine for 4+ years. Now - the 2H change...THAT has me excited.
  • Facefister
    Facefister
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Honestly - I'm personally indifferent to this whole jewelry thing. We have all worked around it just fine for 4+ years. Now - the 2H change...THAT has me excited.

Sure, but jewelry crafting would allow, you know, crafting sets also possessing jewelry now. I can't see anyone farming for green hundings rings.
  • JimmyJuJu
    JimmyJuJu
    ✭✭✭✭
    ....I can't see anyone farming for green hundings rings.

Are you sure about that? ;)
  • Iselin
    Iselin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Someone should do the math about how many vAA, vSO gold jewelry you would be able to get in that time.

What you and others are failing to take into consideration is that crafting jewelry for yourself is something the non-elite and the new players should have reasonable access to. This system doesn't do that. Casuals might as well not bother.

You want to maintain the rarity and prestige of vAA and vSO gold jewelry? Fine. Make upgrading drops and only drops subject to the 10X tax and leave that insanity out of crafted jewelry.
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Yeah...those are the kinds of numbers that really drive home the sheer size of the middle finger they're proposing to give us.

Unbelievable.

And thanks, btw, both for the expanded answers and the original post!

(On a side note, Undaunted and Caltrops/Vigor doesn't feel quite as bad anymore, eh?)

Edited by Merlin13KAGL on May 8, 2018 5:32PM
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ninibini wrote: »
    I just went on pts to do some testing and refined 10000 mats I got from the template character.
    So those 10000 dust gave me not even enough to make one ring gold
    @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_RichLambert
    WTF.gif

• Integral1900
    Integral1900
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Shrugs... it is what it is... no point getting cross as it ain’t going to change this close to release, shouting at the cliff won’t get us anywhere... :/

A freind has been spending a while on pts and said that yes, Gold will take ages, but purple seems much more achievable and 99% of players will notice no diffrence between the two. I’m just going to aim at blue/purple and just keep doing writs till their all golden, writs seem a realy good source of this stuff, which is appropriate. Yes it’s going to be a massive job but so what, I didn’t grind for cp and now I’m so far beyond cap is hilarious, gold will be the same B)
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

What you and others are failing to take into consideration is that crafting jewelry for yourself is something the non-elite and the new players should have reasonable access to. This system doesn't do that. Casuals might as well not bother.

You want to maintain the rarity and prestige of vAA and vSO gold jewelry? Fine. Make upgrading drops and only drops subject to the 10X tax and leave that insanity out of crafted jewelry.

Alternatively, keep a high refinement ratio for gold tempers but drastically lower them for everything else. I'm not sure what goal is served by making a blue crafted ring far more costly than a gold weapon.
  • Facefister
    Facefister
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

-Reduce the jewelcrafting to normal(2-4-8)
    -Dungeon, Trial jewelry need an extra item for refinement
    -This item randomly drops at the last boss
    Here, fixed the grind.
  • Iselin
    Iselin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

-Reduce the jewelcrafting to normal(2-4-8)
    -Dungeon, Trial jewelry need an extra item for refinement
    -This item randomly drops at the last boss
    Here, fixed the grind.

Yup. That would work.

The point is that they are destroying the casual enjoyment of making your own blue or purple Hundig's rings in order to preserve the prestige of something maybe 5% of the player base gives much of a *** about.
  • Kodrac
    Kodrac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Then BOOOM !!! the truth is revealed from the PTS tester...

Just like last year with all the nerfs. They burned me last year, but I learned from it. I didn't preorder this time and waited for the PTS to decide. I still haven't preodered and won't. I'll get it eventually but I'll wait until they patch it a couple of times. The first month is always the real beta test anyway.
  • Crafts_Many_Boxes
    Crafts_Many_Boxes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's looking more and more like Summerset will be the first DLC / Chapter that I don't buy. Such a stupid reason too, it's like Zenimax wants to have a poor showing at release.
  • Thunderknuckles
    Thunderknuckles
    ✭✭✭✭
    What I don't understand is ...why? Why make this such a near insurmountable grind? Is it a troll attempt on Zenimax's part? Going to be honest with you, and this is just me personally, but I'll be unsubbing in a few months when an MMO I'm waiting on launches. Assuming it does, anyway. LOL I work, man. I don't have the time or interest to spend 8 hours a day farming mats for this. Edited to add that I also have 0 interest in it taking me 6 to 8 months of mat farming just to make a set of purple jewelry.

Been playing for about a year now and the grindy-ness of this game has about worn me smooth. Again personally speaking. And no, you can't have my stuff. LOL
    Edited by Thunderknuckles on May 9, 2018 3:18AM
  • Facefister
    Facefister
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    What I don't understand is ...why? Why make this such a near insurmountable grind? Is it a troll attempt on Zenimax's part? Going to be honest with you, and this is just me personally, but I'll be unsubbing in a few months when an MMO I'm waiting on launches. Assuming it does, anyway. LOL I work, man. I don't have the time or interest to spend 8 hours a day farming mats for this.

Been playing for about a year now and the grindy-ness of this game has about worn me smooth. Again personally speaking. And no, you can't have my stuff. LOL

When the content lacks, implement some mindless, long grind.
  • BuddyAces
    BuddyAces
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What I don't understand is ...why? Why make this such a near insurmountable grind? Is it a troll attempt on Zenimax's part? Going to be honest with you, and this is just me personally, but I'll be unsubbing in a few months when an MMO I'm waiting on launches. Assuming it does, anyway. LOL I work, man. I don't have the time or interest to spend 8 hours a day farming mats for this.

Quoted for the sad truth. Thanks ZOS for artificially trying to make this chapter not seem like a small dlc I guess =\
    They nerfed magsorcs so hard stamsorcs felt it,lol - Somber97866

I'm blown away by the utter stupidity I see here on the daily. - Wrekkedd
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

But that is a base game change and not something you need to purchase separately. I don't know what they're thinking; jewelry crafting should have been the carrot to get people to pay extra, and it's really become the stick to punish people for playing.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works
  • Elephant42
    Elephant42
    ✭✭✭✭

But that is a base game change and not something you need to purchase separately. I don't know what they're thinking; jewelry crafting should have been the carrot to get people to pay extra, and it's really become the stick to punish people for playing.

Well this particular carrot has badly backfired with me. I won't be buying Summerset or resubbing when it releases. You know the funny part is that if they had not included JC in this patch I likely would have bought it and possibly even resubbed...

I might admittedly be cutting off my nose to spite my face, but if ZOS wants to raise this huge middle finger to me then I'll just hang on to my bux tvm.

This is what happened when IC released - I was disgusted with the V16 mat situation and un-subbed as soon as it was announced. I only resubbed when they rectified the *** up with Orsinium.

We'll see what pans out when the next DLC drops - they _might_ get my $$$ back if they do the right thing...
  • ola.wilhelmssonb16_ESO
    And here I thought endless, soul-devouring grind was Blizzard's thing. Maybe they will sue ZOS for copyringt infringement…
    Jokes aside: I think this thread still belongs in the General section, since jewel crafting has a major impact on the game and is one of the major selling points of Summerset Isle. (For me pretty much the only selling point and I pre-ordered, like the sucker I am.)
  • Apache_Kid
    Apache_Kid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

This post should be in a museum somewhere.
  • reoskit
    reoskit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just stoping by to thank you, @code65536, for this thread.
  • JimmyJuJu
    JimmyJuJu
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thinking about this some more. I'm curious what general plans people have for making jewelry beyond the somewhat obvious choices of Julianos/Hundings/NMG/Shacklebreaker.

I'm personally interested in jewels for Kag's for a PvP rez build and possibly Twice-Born Star (hoping to make that set usable again).

Just wondering....
  • reoskit
    reoskit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thinking about this some more. I'm curious what general plans people have for making jewelry beyond the somewhat obvious choices of Julianos/Hundings/NMG/Shacklebreaker.

I'm personally interested in jewels for Kag's for a PvP rez build and possibly Twice-Born Star (hoping to make that set usable again).

Just wondering....

This isn't the thread you're looking for. You may want to search in the PTS forum for builds with craft set jewelry.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been here since early beta and i'm seriously considering canceling my subscription. Sad moment all around ...
    sad.gif