The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Jewelry Crafting: Get ready for the worst grind in ESO's history

• Elephant42
    Elephant42
    ✭✭✭✭
    firedrgn wrote: »
    Well the lvl from 0 to 50 was never really a percived issuse was it? It actually crafting gold jewlery.

The mats required to get gold jewlery is in my mind the issuse.

Agreed but I would add purple as still an issue as well. The purpose of my testing was mostly to check how good green and blue jewellery would be to level the skill, other people had already tested purple. Also I wanted to check how good deconning dropped jewewllery was for obtaining grains.

It's still a grind, just not as bad as I thought it would be...
  • zassasaurus
    zassasaurus
    ✭✭✭
    The main problem I see is really just that it takes 10 grains to make one improvement material. If you were deconstructing purple gear you would get a purple upgrade mat roughly 50% of the time, so you might have to deconstruct 8 pieces before you have enough mats to upgrade an item to purple. With jewelry as you are only getting a grain when you deconstruct not a full upgrade material, even with a 60% drop rate you would have to deconstruct around 70 purple rings to get the 40 grains you would need to upgrade a ring to purple. For a gold ring you would need to deconstruct at least 135 gold rings to be able to upgrade a single gold ring! That to me is crazy and if farming and deconstructing jewelry is going to be the best source of upgrade materials we are screwed.
  • firedrgn
    firedrgn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can see getting a purple someday. I dont ever see getting g gold if deconstructing gold is the only way.

I habe never gotten a gold ring or necklace. I honestly only see hard core trial peeps and pvpers gettting gold. Seems all but impossible for pve to get gold. Unless u csn get from seams???
  • JimmyJuJu
    JimmyJuJu
    ✭✭✭✭
    I can see getting a purple someday. I dont ever see getting g gold if deconstructing gold is the only way.

I habe never gotten a gold ring or necklace. I honestly only see hard core trial peeps and pvpers gettting gold. Seems all but impossible for pve to get gold. Unless u csn get from seams???

I presume gold mats will come in the same way as the other crafting lines: random drop from raw mats refining and writs. No?
  • Iselin
    Iselin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    JimmyJuJu wrote: »

I presume gold mats will come in the same way as the other crafting lines: random drop from raw mats refining and writs. No?

Yes but 1/10th since you get dust and you need 10 of those to make a grain and upgrading jewelry uses the same amounts of grains as the other crafts use their upgrade mats.
    Edited by Iselin on May 16, 2018 4:38AM
  • JimmyJuJu
    JimmyJuJu
    ✭✭✭✭
    Iselin wrote: »

Yes but 1/10th since you get dust and you need 10 of those to make a grain and upgrading jewelry uses the same amounts of grains as the other crafts use their upgrade mats.

Well, looks like I will be rolling some writ mules then.

(not really)
  • Umariel
    Umariel
    ✭✭
    Thanks so much for this write up. So happy people like you exist. No grind should be THIS bad for a new crafting profession.

I don't have any clue how the numbers for this got so f***ed up and passed through this close to release.

Did devs even look at the old professions or did they just wing it??

Keep cracking the corporate whip Zenimax execs. Gotta get them releases out before they're even done or tuned.
  • BuddyAces
    BuddyAces
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Umariel wrote: »
    Thanks so much for this write up. So happy people like you exist. No grind should be THIS bad for a new crafting profession.

I don't have any clue how the numbers for this got so f***ed up and passed through this close to release.

Did devs even look at the old professions or did they just wing it??

Keep cracking the corporate whip Zenimax execs. Gotta get them releases out before they're even done or tuned.

Pretty much what other folks have pointed out: artificially inflating the "content" of this "chapter" because it lacks in every other way. If I were ZOS, I'd be embarrassed to call this a freakin chapter.
    They nerfed magsorcs so hard stamsorcs felt it,lol - Somber97866

I'm blown away by the utter stupidity I see here on the daily. - Wrekkedd
  • Umariel
    Umariel
    ✭✭
    BuddyAces wrote: »
    Pretty much what other folks have pointed out: artificially inflating the "content" of this "chapter" because it lacks in every other way. If I were ZOS, I'd be embarrassed to call this a freakin chapter.

Absolutely, and I hate that Zo$ thinks we can't see it. And why release it so fast? We just got Morrowind in October. I don't see what the rush is for; Come out with some other DLC and put some good polish on Summerset. What made the Morrowind content so great is that it didn't feel like it was rushed along content.

• lygerseye
    lygerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Flash forward one year to the next ESO chapter that only contains a new crafting material: Mote! 10 motes = 1 dust.

That’s enough content to last a lifetime!
  • Pops_ND_Irish
    Pops_ND_Irish
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's wrong with working for something that in the end has great results ?
    Always want something easy !
  • Apache_Kid
    Apache_Kid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    MoTeets wrote: »

No, we want something reasonable.

The results aren't worth actively working towards based on the time invested.
  • Pops_ND_Irish
    Pops_ND_Irish
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hehe
  • JimmyJuJu
    JimmyJuJu
    ✭✭✭✭
    Apache_Kid wrote: »

And what result are you looking for, I ask? All the jewelry in every trait for every crafted set? Everything in gold the first day? It seems you are laser-focused on the end result without considering the road to get there. So, it seems to me you do want the easy way. Do tell.
  • adriant1978
    adriant1978
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

And what result are you looking for, I ask?

For it to work the same as all the other crafting skill lines already in the game, without this unjustified 10x inflation of the number of tempers needed to upgrade anything.
  • Gallagher563
    Gallagher563
    ✭✭✭
    What I wanted was to be able to craft and upgrade new jewelry while I am leveling. I wanted to be able to upgrade sets like SPC to gold that are not available from the golden. It looks like I won't be upgrading or crafting any hundings jewelry any time soon because the grind to blue is more than it would take to get gold trials jewelry.
  • Facefister
    Facefister
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    What I wanted was to be able to craft and upgrade new jewelry while I am leveling. I wanted to be able to upgrade sets like SPC to gold that are not available from the golden. It looks like I won't be upgrading or crafting any hundings jewelry any time soon because the grind to blue is more than it would take to get gold trials jewelry.
    Facefister wrote: »
    Iselin wrote: »
    Feric51 wrote: »
    With the ease of getting purple jewelry, I think they should make jewelry crafting a direct equal to materials needed compared to other crafting professions for improvement to epic (purple) levels. I think cutting the jewelry material requirements for legendary (gold) improvements in half of what they are on PTS would be a good compromise.

This would basically equal no/minimal grind to craft jewelry and improve to purple, but would still require a sizable grind to improve crafted/dropped rings to gold. It's still a bare minimum of deconstructing 40 gold jewelry pieces or refining an estimated 8500 raw materials (based on that one post some pages ago in this thread). Gold jewelry is what ZOS should be focusing on keeping "special" and not crippling the ability to craft ALL jewelry.

Yes that would be better but it would still be a band-aid for a "problem" with multiple easier solutions. The basic problem with their approach to jc crafting is that we're not buying that jewelry deserves a 10X trait and upgrade mats requirement relative to the other 9 gear slots.
    • They are already heading down the road of "perfect" gear for the hardest elite content. That takes care of getting gear in lower difficulty content and then upgrading it to be the same as what drops in elite content.
    • They could easily separate upgrading drops from upgrading crafted jewelry by adding a simple extra component with a rareish RNG drop chance in order to upgrade drops but not crafted.

Those are just two possible other ways of accomplishing the same goal while still making jewelry crafting fun and accessible for new players and casuals. I'm sure there are many other ways also if they just put their thinking caps for a moment.

As I suggested in one of my previous posts, the balancing of JCrafting would be following:
    • JCrafting, and upgrading should be equal to the other crafting professions. This also includes raw materials and their refinement.
    • Upgrading Dungeon or Trial jewelry should require an extra component, which will randomly drop at the last boss of the Dungeon or Trial. A purple upgrade-item on Normal, a gold upgrade-item on Veteran and a guaranteed gold upgrade-item on Hardmode.
    • There is a difference between the Dungeon and Trial drop- You can't farm veteran hardmode Dungeons for your War-Machine rings.
    This would eliminate the horrendous grind for crafted and overland sets and at the same time it would keep the value and rarity of Dungeon/Trial jewelry.

From a Stam-DD standpoint of view, there is literally no point on farming weeks for purple Hunding's Rage jewelry when I can get golden Vicious Ophidian jewelry from vAA in a day or two.

• JimmyJuJu
    JimmyJuJu
    ✭✭✭✭

Then where will you spend your time? Farming trials? Grinding upgrade mats? Rage quitting?

I have exactly 2 pieces of gold jewelry (1 War Maiden ring and 1 burning spellweave ring). I personally don't feel my gameplay has been diminished because I mostly have purple jewelry.

And I feel your pain with Hundings. I think we all have the same aspirations (hundings, juli, shacklebreaker, etc.). But you are either on board with the

There's nothing stopping you from doing that (if you purchase the chapter, that is). It may be an onerous task, but it can be achieved. Consider it a personal challenge :)
  • BlackStar300
    BlackStar300
    ✭✭
    After reading this *** I'm really considering cancelling my pre-order. I bought Morrowind, but didn't think the zone gave much and I was really excited for SS and what huge new things it would bring, but when ZOS seriously locks things so heavily like this and I understand that maxing crafting and trait research isn't easy and the house mount training takes 6 months, but requiring 10x more and getting 1/10 mats means essentially 100x more work for this.

What happened to wanting to close the gap of the 1% with the lower people? How much work is worth to craft a damn green jewelry piece? I love ZOS, but purchasing this "Expansion" seems supportive of their practices and I am honestly not okay with this. And I wasn't even really grabbing SS for the jewelry craft, but I really hope you're not serious ZOS.
  • Iselin
    Iselin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    After reading this *** I'm really considering cancelling my pre-order. I bought Morrowind, but didn't think the zone gave much and I was really excited for SS and what huge new things it would bring, but when ZOS seriously locks things so heavily like this and I understand that maxing crafting and trait research isn't easy and the house mount training takes 6 months, but requiring 10x more and getting 1/10 mats means essentially 100x more work for this.

What happened to wanting to close the gap of the 1% with the lower people? How much work is worth to craft a damn green jewelry piece? I love ZOS, but purchasing this "Expansion" seems supportive of their practices and I am honestly not okay with this. And I wasn't even really grabbing SS for the jewelry craft, but I really hope you're not serious ZOS.

Far be it from me to defend their implementation of Jewelry Crafting since it has all the hallmarks of unsupervised interns being given free rein to create a crafting profession.

But to set the record straight, it's just 10X not 100X: you get a 1/10th of what's required from all the usual sources like harvesting, refining and deconstruction but once you assemble 10 of those dusts into 1 grain, the upgrade requirements in grains are the same as all other armor and weapon crafting.
    Edited by Iselin on May 17, 2018 12:06AM
  • Apache_Kid
    Apache_Kid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Then where will you spend your time? Farming trials? Grinding upgrade mats? Rage quitting?

I have exactly 2 pieces of gold jewelry (1 War Maiden ring and 1 burning spellweave ring). I personally don't feel my gameplay has been diminished because I mostly have purple jewelry.

And I feel your pain with Hundings. I think we all have the same aspirations (hundings, juli, shacklebreaker, etc.). But you are either on board with the

There's nothing stopping you from doing that (if you purchase the chapter, that is). It may be an onerous task, but it can be achieved. Consider it a personal challenge :)

You relaize even purple jewelry is going to be painstakingly difficult to craft.

I want Jewelry crafting to behave exactly like the other crafting professions in regards to upgrade costs. Do you understand now?
  • Gallagher563
    Gallagher563
    ✭✭✭

The sad thing is that I will be doing the same things I normally do because jewelry crafting is so underwhelming. It might as well not even exist for me.
  • lionofjudah7
    lionofjudah7
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, wow... a more extreme grind than collecting vouchers. Or completing Militant Order and Akaviri. Or collecting Nirncrux to complete 9 trait research. Or getting Master Angler. More extreme than getting the three Sewer polymorphs.

The most extreme ever, because collecting all 14 pages of Buoyant Armiger can be comfortably done in a weekend.

:|

Your attempt at sarcasm has failed . Take your try hard attempt elsewhere. These are Facts .

This has nothing to do with armiger motifs and polymorphs .

When trying sarcasm make sure that you are relevant first.
  • Hixtory
    Hixtory
    ✭✭✭✭
    code65536 wrote: »

How's that excitement for jewelry crafting now?

There is an easy solution, though: increase the drop rate of grains. They currently drop at the same rate as full upgrade mats of other crafts. (50% per decon, 15% green per refinement, 12.5% blue per refinement, 7.5% purple per refinement, and 5% gold per refinement.) If, for example, deconstruction always guaranteed at least 1 grain, with the chance of sometimes getting multiple grains, the drop rate would still be substantially lower than that of the other crafts, but not quite as insane as it currently is on the PTS. As it stands, jewelry crafting isn't fun. It isn't accessible. And I don't see myself seriously using it any time this year.

@ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_RichLambert

Oh dear God, why cant they just make it like the other crafting, ZOS PLS DON´T MAKE THIS IMPOSSIBLE TO USE!
  • JimmyJuJu
    JimmyJuJu
    ✭✭✭✭

You relaize even purple jewelry is going to be painstakingly difficult to craft.

I want Jewelry crafting to behave exactly like the other crafting professions in regards to upgrade costs. Do you understand now?

I have always understood. The point is to make it painstakingly difficult. This is not an oversight or accident on the part of ZOS - it's intentional.

Clearly you don't like it; but...so what? What's your plan?
  • Apache_Kid
    Apache_Kid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I have always understood. The point is to make it painstakingly difficult. This is not an oversight or accident on the part of ZOS - it's intentional.

Complain about it until they change it. What else can i do? I'm not just gonna sit here and accept it without letting it be known that it's really lame. By all means tho, continue to be served your **** sandwich and not complain about it. That's not the way i go through life tho.
  • RebornV3x
    RebornV3x
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah the grind sounds insane I was looking forward to this but not anymore

Also this thread is popcorn worthy between the this grind is insane and the trolls saying that the current system is perfectly fine people
    Edited by RebornV3x on May 17, 2018 7:03PM
    Xbox One - NA GT: RebornV3x
    I also play on PC from time to time but I just wanna be left alone on there so sorry.
  • BaneOfBattler
    BaneOfBattler
    ✭✭✭
    Be thankful that at least you can create jewelry sets for a hunding or a julianos, we been asking for this for a long time.

Some people may disagree with me some wont, but im in no rush to craft me a legendary set of jewels; improvement will come as at least i can improve now and not wish for it.

If you are in a hurry to get legendary jewels then you are free to do so, spend most of your money on the guild traders for overpriced mats that in 3 months will be as expensive as heartwood it is now compared when homestead launched.

If you want to be the coolest kid in the block then pay or farm as a half part time job, you are free to do so, im just going to do as i am used to do: playing the game and hoarding mats. When the improvement is available i will do so.

Have fun.
  • JimmyJuJu
    JimmyJuJu
    ✭✭✭✭

Complain about it until they change it. What else can i do? I'm not just gonna sit here and accept it without letting it be known that it's really lame. By all means tho, continue to be served your **** sandwich and not complain about it. That's not the way i go through life tho.

I think you misunderstand. I don't like it at all. I also have perspective. There is so much more to the game than this rather trivial annoyance over jewelry crafting.

Now, your tone has taken on an air of hostility where none was needed. Goodbye.
  • BlackStar300
    BlackStar300
    ✭✭

I think you misunderstand. I don't like it at all. I also have perspective. There is so much more to the game than this rather trivial annoyance over jewelry crafting.

Now, your tone has taken on an air of hostility where none was needed. Goodbye.

I think honestly YOU misunderstand. The other guy has a point. If you don't like something in life, whether it be it in game or at work etc then let it be known. Yea, you can't change everything, but what is the worse thing that is gonna happen? They don't change the craft? But if we don't let our voice be heard AS GAMERS AND CONSUMERS of a product they put out then they won't know. Its like giving feedback and honestly that is all this is. Its feedback and you know what the feedback is?

That the way they have made jewelry crafting is complete and utter garbage. Now, the tones and the manner in which people express themselves do vary, but the feedback is the take away from here. If you don't like this system, but fail to let ZOS know about it then apparently you don't care and you're fine with it and you can't debate that. If you did care, you'd say something. There are really only 2 sides you can pick at this point.

I'm choosing the side of letting ZOS know I don't support this and feels that its unjust.
    Edited by BlackStar300 on May 17, 2018 7:46PM