The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Streak still broken

• Avran_Sylt
    Avran_Sylt
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And is it more likely to fail if a player is spamming roots at you? Perhaps there is an issue with an effect being non-atomic and things being executed in such a way that the server fks up somewhere?
    Edited by Avran_Sylt on May 9, 2017 8:23PM
  • sadownik
    sadownik
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Avran_Sylt 10 seconds with google or yt and you know everything.
  • Avran_Sylt
    Avran_Sylt
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @sadownik
    yeah:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=EX93yhEFEJU

But it needs to be able to be replicated.
  • DemonNinja
    DemonNinja
    ✭✭✭✭
    Did it seem like the bug was happening less than before, or just as much?

For sure just as much @ZOS_GinaBruno
    @DemonNinja
    Aerilon Starsider - Best Sorcerer NA
    World Record Trial Team Member & Game Breaker of Days Past
  • Avran_Sylt
    Avran_Sylt
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread seems to go into a lot of detail about it:
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/320887/homestead-bolt-escape-bug-explained-video

Make note that you can use Necrotic Orb to figure out what terrain bolt escape will bug out on.
    Edited by Avran_Sylt on May 9, 2017 8:38PM
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Thanks for the additional info, everyone. We'll continue to work on fixing this issue.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • DemonNinja
    DemonNinja
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the additional info, everyone. We'll continue to work on fixing this issue.

Thank you for continuing to work on the issue. Although, it boggles my mind that this isn't being tested by the development and QA teams. It is not, by any stretch of the imagination, a difficult to reproduce issue.
    @DemonNinja
  • maddiniiLuna
    maddiniiLuna
    ✭✭✭✭
    Koolio wrote: »

Lulz

This was a serious question. When it comes to issues like this, sometimes a fix only corrects part of an issue in some scenarios but not the entire thing. It would be helpful to know what sort of impact the fix we published yesterday had, and if you all are seeing any improvements. Replies like this aren't helpful in assessing the issue at hand.

I'm not sure if this is old or not because I can't see the date from when this was posted on my phone.

However at this point and many others I am wondering why you have a test server if you don't test things? Please don't try saying you did because we know that wouldn't be true especially if you have to ask if it got better.
  • DisgracefulMind
    DisgracefulMind
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Hi, @ZOS_GinaBruno , I have noticed it happening less, but still getting bugged when trying to streak across a tower floor or a milegate floor. My friend @vortexman11 also had it happen to him when he was trying to streak away around some logs at a resource, and even open field. It seems that it has decreased in happening, but is still pretty frequent. In about 3 hours playtime on my magicka Sorcerer tonight, I had it happen 5 times.

Hope this helps.
    Unfortunate magicka warden main.
    PC/NA Server
    Fairweather Friends
    Retired to baby bgs forever. Leave me alone.
  • Avran_Sylt
    Avran_Sylt
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @DemonNinja @maddiniiLuna

It's starting to seem like a wonky interaction with certain terrain. So the QA team scouring the entire game world with streak is not feasible.

@DisgracefulMind

(@ZOS_GinaBruno) I'm not sure if the /bug reports also give the players world coordinates, but if you can submit a /bug report for each location that you get this immobilization on, that may help greatly.
    Edited by Avran_Sylt on May 10, 2017 1:56PM
  • robeauch
    robeauch
    ✭✭✭
    However at this point and many others I am wondering why you have a test server if you don't test things? Please don't try saying you did because we know that wouldn't be true especially if you have to ask if it got better.

Confirming with the users that a fix worked is a necessary step of *every* fix. Even if it's just a typo correction, there's always some chance that somehow, the fix worked great in testing didn't show up on the live servers the way it was supposed to. Or it did show up but some people still aren't seeing it while others say it looks fine.

With an MMO, of course, the devs don't necessarily need to ask -- they'll find out pretty quick from users if what looked "fixed" in testing, is still not working in live. But there are scenarios where they might want to make a point of asking the users to confirm.

Example: Sometimes, an issue can have multiple causes, but all the reports were submitted by people seeing it from one particular cause, so the devs aren't aware (yet) of other things also causing it. So they test the issue as described by the reports, confirm that it's fixed, and then find that some people still hit the same issue but in a different way. So if the devs suspect there might be other causes besides the one that was reported & fixed, they'll want to ask the users how it looks.

Or: Sometimes an issue *only* happens on the live servers, because it's related to the heavy load of a full population of players. In those cases, the fix might involve an adjustment to memory handling (for example), but they can't be sure how much of an adjustment to make since they can't recreate the issue on their test servers. So they make a reasonable estimate, push it to live, and then have to ask folks if it got better.

All this is just to say that people who work with, test, and debug distributed software solutions (*cough*) tend not to be the ones complaining the loudest here. Even if we *are* looking forward to a fix.
  • QuebraRegra
    QuebraRegra
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Lulz

This was a serious question. When it comes to issues like this, sometimes a fix only corrects part of an issue in some scenarios but not the entire thing. It would be helpful to know what sort of impact the fix we published yesterday had, and if you all are seeing any improvements. Replies like this aren't helpful in assessing the issue at hand.

as much as I like to throw rocks like the next guy, it's a valid question. Has there been any improvement whatsoever? Some things are not one simple change and require incremental changes.

• DemonNinja
    DemonNinja
    ✭✭✭✭
    Avran_Sylt wrote: »
    @DemonNinja @maddiniiLuna

It's starting to seem like a wonky interaction with certain terrain. So the QA team scouring the entire game world with streak is not feasible.

@DisgracefulMind

(@ZOS_GinaBruno) I'm not sure if the /bug reports also give the players world coordinates, but if you can submit a /bug report for each location that you get this immobilization on, that may help greatly.

It's systematic. Clearly terrain issues. However the QA team does not need to find every place it bugs, they need to find the root cause of the bug and fix that - my suspicion is that its in the collision system. PS I work in games.
    @DemonNinja
  • Orngrimm
    Orngrimm
    Soul Shriven

Lulz

How about to fix LFG?
    this was serious question.
  • Avran_Sylt
    Avran_Sylt
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @DemonNinja

It's very possible it could be an issue with how collision is calculated, my only gripe with that though is that in the most recent patch notes they say they fixed an issue where this ability and it's morphs could fail to function in certain locations. As it is still being reported, either they are mistaken, or it is indeed an issue with certain problematic terrain. For the most part since peeps have just been complaining that it doesn't work and not giving specifics as to where, my guess is they most likely fixed issues relating to the spots mentioned in the video embedded in the thread that I linked.

While it most certainly is a collision issue, it may not be with the basic collision code itself (Assuming they didn't write it themselves), but with the navmesh layout of buildings (as buildings are the most commonly reported places of it occurring, particularly in PvP).
    Edited by Avran_Sylt on May 11, 2017 5:08AM
  • Zaldan
    Zaldan
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Lulz

Like the Templar gap closer that still doesn't work reliably despite how many "fixes"?
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.
    Niidro tiid wah fusvok dirkah.

aka.@Cuthceol
  • InvitationNotFound
    InvitationNotFound
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    karma69 wrote: »

Lulz

This response is one of the reasons developers don't listen to us. Why not just answer the question and help them in fixing the issue rather than being sarcastic and unproductive in fixing this? You're just wasting Ginas time for nothing.

This hasn't anything to do with listening or the comments we write.
    Look at the bug history and how long it takes for everything to "fix" while many "fixes" aren't working.

The devs are writing some code and no one seems to test it (as we know by now, we are their whole QA process). The mess created ends up on the live servers where people complain again.

Sorry, but this is incompetence at the side of ZOS (pick whoever you want, I personally would start with the management and not the devs. Either because they fail to realize how bad their code / process is or because they are satisfied with how things are working out) and has nothing to do with the way players are giving feedback or are complaining. Furthermore, I doubt many devs are reading the comments here in the forum (certainly not the Wrobler).
    We want firing off Dark Exchange in the middle of combat to feel awesome... - The Wrobler
    You know you don't have to be here right? - Rich Lambert
    Verrätst du mir deinen Beruf? Ich würde auch gerne mal Annahmen dazu schreiben, wie simple die Aufgaben anderer sind. - Kai Schober

Addons:
    RdK Group Tool: esoui DE EN FR
    Port to Friend's House: esoui DE EN FR - Library: DE EN
    Yet another Compass: esoui DE EN FR
    Group Buffs: esoui DE EN FR