The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29
We will be performing maintenance for patch 10.0.2 on the PTS on Monday at 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC).

Official Feedback Thread for Controller Support

• ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_ChipHilseberg Thank you!!

Controller Support
    • Added a new keybind to switch between Gamepad and Keyboard modes.
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • DUTCH_REAPER
    DUTCH_REAPER
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the large text on my 55in Flat screen hooked up to my PC.
    In the pat I played through xpadder on ESO. But if I don't use xpadder my controller won't work. Was that intended? If not how can I use my xbox controller without opening up xpadder?
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have to download and install the XBOX 360 controller driver.
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • DUTCH_REAPER
    DUTCH_REAPER
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got it solved. I was using a cord that did not come with the Xbox one controller (I didn't like how long it was). After shut down and restart I selected the UI option for Gamepad and hooked up the controller with the original cord it came with and sha-bam. It works!

Now if I can just figure out how and what to bind to make TS work on the controller. Completely lost on that one.
    Edited by DUTCH_REAPER on November 4, 2015 1:12AM
  • jeremiah911
    jeremiah911
    ✭✭✭
    Does the controller allow for custom key binds? @ZOS_GinaBruno

I apologize in advance if this has already been answered elsewhere.
  • oxxalejandroxxo
    oxxalejandroxxo
    ✭✭✭✭
    My Logitech f310 was working fine the first time, but after I logged in today, it just stopped working. I can turn on the gamepad mode in settings, but there would be no response for the gamepad.
  • murtrem_ESO
    murtrem_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Seems to work, missing some default controls but meh
    Edited by murtrem_ESO on November 7, 2015 11:27PM
    They're called fingers but I've never seen em fing
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ADarklore wrote: »
    @ZOS_ChipHilseberg Thank you!!

Controller Support
    • Added a new keybind to switch between Gamepad and Keyboard modes.

What is this switch called? Do you have to be in Keyboard mode to see it? I went through the keybinds in Gamepad mode, and did not see anything that looked like it performed this function.

NVM, I found it :)
    Edited by Ourorboros on November 8, 2015 3:03PM
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • Alether
    Alether
    ✭✭
    Please enable the joystick inputs when the joystick mode is turned off, or make a way to turn them on without also enabling the UI changes. I'd like to keep my UI the same while using the controller.
  • GhostOfAnEra
    GhostOfAnEra
    ✭✭✭
    I tried to use my 360 wireless controller, but NOTHING happens when I plug in my receiver and turn on my controller :(
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tried to use my 360 wireless controller, but NOTHING happens when I plug in my receiver and turn on my controller :(

You DID turn on the Gamepad option in the settings, right? Also, you have installed the XBOX 360 Driver as well?
  • baratron
    baratron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ADarklore wrote: »
    @ZOS_GinaBruno

Here are two big problems that I have found so far:
    • Camera's Invert Y-Axis option does not work with the Controller UI, and I cannot play without this option.
    • Using a PC command to open a menu does not automatically switch it over to the KB/Mouse UI- in fact- once you select the Controller Beta ON, the only menu you have access to is the controller UI; wasn't there supposed to be an 'on-the-fly' auto sensing UI switch so that you could go between the Controller UI and KB/Mouse UI?
    I've been looking forward to official controller support forever because I'm disabled, and can't play with a keyboard and mouse without pain. The unofficial program I use (Xpadder) has a few issues- most notably, that it isn't possible to use attack and block at the same time. So I can't bash NPCs as an interrupt, which is a problem in some of the harder Veteran dungeons.

However, I only use the controller for moving my character and for combat - I use the mouse for menus and the keyboard to chatter away to everyone and everything ;). For this reason, I'm very disappointed that the official controller support forces you onto the console UI. I don't want the console UI at all, I'm sitting in front of my computer and I want to be able to use my mouse in the bank and when choosing skills for my bar.

Frankly, the thought of restacking a Guild Bank using the controller is enough to make me consider giving up being an Officer in the 2 Guilds that I run!

And seeing people's @names instead of their character names... completely breaks immersion. Some people really try hard to come up with interesting or Lore-appropriate names, and I don't want to see their @name. I know there's an addon which blocks this, but I shouldn't need an addon to restore basic functionality.

Also, the lack of invert Y-axis is just... daft. I'm assuming that the ESO controller settings were based on Skyrim's settings, and inverse look is definitely an option in Xbox 360 Skyrim since that's how I played for 1000+ hours! Basically, inverse look is what my brain considers "natural" and I can't easily re-train myself to use the standard camera. I mean, I'm sure I could but it wouldn't be fun, and this is a game I play for enjoyment rather than to give myself headaches.

So the controller beta gets a thumbs-down from me. I could probably manage to switch between normal and console UI when needed, but no inverse look means I can't play.
    Guildmaster of the UESP Guild on the North American PC/Mac Server 2200+ CP & also found on the European PC/Mac Server 1700+ CP

These characters are on both servers:
    Alix de Feu - Breton Templar Healer level 50
    Brings-His-Own-Forest - Argonian Warden Healer level 50
    Hrodulf Bearpaw - Nord Warden Bear Friend & identical twin of Bjornolfr level 50
    Jadisa al-Belkarth - Redguard Arcanist looking for a role

NA-only characters:
    Martin Draconis - Imperial Sorceror Healer (Aldmeri Dominion) level 50
    Arzhela Petit - Breton Dragonknight Healer (Daggerfall Covenant) level 50
    Bjornolfr Steel-Shaper - Nord Dragonknight Crafter & Not-Much-Damage Dealer (Ebonheart Pact) level 50
    Verandis Bloodraven - Altmer Nightblade Healer & clone of Count Verandis Ravenwatch (Aldmeri Dominion) level 50
    Gethin Oakrun - Bosmer Nightblade Thief & terrible Tank (Ebonheart Pact) level 50
  • henrycupcakerwb17_ESO
    9llososf2z2p.jpeg
    This is the official feedback thread for controller support on PC. Specific feedback the team is looking for includes:
    • Did everything appear to function properly?
    • Was it easy to find out how to enable or disable controller support?
    • How did it feel using the console UI?

does the mac OS X version support bluetooth gamepad yet ? such as SteelSeries Nimbus Wireless Gaming Controller???
    Edited by henrycupcakerwb17_ESO on December 1, 2015 3:19PM
  • wildbear247
    wildbear247
    ✭✭✭
    First, just want to say thanks very much for adding controller support in ESO :)

I used the new gamepad support with my Xbox 360 controller without any issues, but I do have one major request: please give us players the option to keep the regular PC UI while still being able to use the controller. I'm not a big fan of the console UI, especially because it interferes with some of my favorite add-ons.

So I've reverted back to using Xpadder and controller for now until that option is implemented. Since I'm stuck using Xpadder because I like the PC UI and a controller for combat...I have a related request. It would be nice if ESO was updated to allow multi-key presses to be assigned to an action (e.g. X+Spacebar = Ultimate). Right now only left mouse button and right mouse button can be used in conjunction to perform an action (Interrupt).

UPDATE 23-Dec-15: After using the gamepad feature more I'm enjoying it a lot more now. Currently I use the gamepad feature (and by extension console UI) for combat, and switch back to PC UI (and keyboard & mouse) for everything else. The switch from gamepad mode to keyboard-&-mouse mode isn't as bad as I thought it would be and occurs instantly after selecting the option via settings. So I'll give the current gamepad support in ESO a rating of 4 outta 5 stars. I'll give it 5 stars if we can get option to use the gamepad with the PC UI.
    Edited by wildbear247 on December 23, 2015 3:58PM
    PC NA
    The Ironwood Clan (all DC): Karbal Ironwood (Stamblade, PvP); Galtan Ironwood (Magblade, crafter, PvE, some PvP)

MY #1 ESO REQUEST: An overhauled way in which ZOS gathers, assesses, responds to, and incorporates player feedback on the current and future state of the game.
  • Kalifas
    Kalifas
    ✭✭✭
    This is the official feedback thread for controller support on PC. Specific feedback the team is looking for includes:
    • Did everything appear to function properly?
    • Was it easy to find out how to enable or disable controller support?
    • How did it feel using the console UI?
    • Most things seemed to function properly.
    • It was easy for me to find or disable the controller support.
    • It felt functional, yet not as fluid, fast, or aesthetically pleasing as it could be. The UI imho look washed out or overly zoomed.

Feedback links:

Extend UI Safezone

Option to turn off Target Assist

Option to mark a target with controller

Enable Gamepad binds without Gamepad UI enabled

Retain PC UI option while using gamepad

Here is a perfect working video of PC UI working with controller, with no need to touch mouse or keyboard once in game, unless you wanted to. Watch at the 8:30 mark. I used this before but he stopped supporting the add-on when he learned of official support coming. C'mon ZoS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XI8FDjhfmhs
    Edited by Kalifas on December 6, 2015 9:01PM
    An Avid fan of Elder Scrolls Online. Check out my Concepts Repository!
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    baratron wrote: »
    So the controller beta gets a thumbs-down from me. I could probably manage to switch between normal and console UI when needed, but no inverse look means I can't play.

I do hope that since this post you've discovered that there is a separate controller setup in the Controller UI menu- way down at the bottom- in those settings you can change to invert Y-axis.
    ... please give us players the option to keep the regular PC UI while still being able to use the controller. I'm not a big fan of the console UI, especially because it interferes with some of my favorite add-ons.

So I've reverted back to using Xpadder and controller for now until that option is implemented. Since I'm stuck using Xpadder because I like the PC UI and a controller for combat...I have a related request. It would be nice if ESO was updated to allow multi-key presses to be assigned to an action (e.g. X+Spacebar = Ultimate). Right now only left mouse button and right mouse button can be used in conjunction to perform an action (Interrupt).

As other players have pointed out... we do not want to be forced to use the Controller UI with the controller- we didn't ask for a ported XBOX console UI to the PC. The Controller UI menu isn't so bad, albeit not as functional as the PC menu IMO, but it's the obnoxiously huge ability icons and attribute bars that blocks 1/4 of the bottom of the screen that bothers me. Also, because so few players are actually using this Controller UI, there are no addon developers bothering to invest time into making any PC addons for it to fix these issues.

What most PC players wanted was to be able to use their controller with the PC UI and existing addons, but some important addons do not work with the Controller UI... and like I said earlier, none of the addon developers are taking the time to fix it because so few are using the Controller UI.

Like with many players, I have reverted back to using DS4Tool with XPadder as it works perfectly for me. I still have to keep a keyboard and mouse handy, but overall, I've got a layout that works extremely well and I don't have to deal with the obnoxiously large icons- as the PC icons are much smaller and addons allow rearrangement for better viewing.

• Keldor
    Keldor
    ✭✭✭✭
    I like the controller support and the console UI but you should also add controller support for the login screen/main menu.
    Is there a reason why there is no exit menu option in the console UI?
    First you have to logout and then click exit to close the game, but to exit the game, you need a keyboard or a mouse since there is no controller support for the login screen/main menu.

Keldor
    ESO-Database.com (Steam Deck Client | System Status)
    - Character and Guild Database for ESO with data collection AddOn and Windows Client for automatically data transfers. (DE/EN)
    ESO-Skillfactory.com
    - Elder Scrolls Online skill calculator with Championsystem! (DE/EN/FR)
    ESO-Database Game Data API
    - API for AddOn developers to fetch game related data like Chest positions etc.

More AddOns: ESO Farm-Buddy, ESO-Skillfactory.com Build Export, All AddOns by Keldor
  • firereverie
    I hope Zenimax continues to watch and develop this for PC. I read this whole thing looking for an answer to my puzzle, which was to remap Roll Dodge from LT+A to LT+Sprint(Left Stick Click). There are a lot of good points in here I'd love to see implemented. Custom keybinds would be amazing, a toggle for toon name/@username would also be nice. Invert Y axis is still buggy, I had to toggle it on and off in both UI's before I could get it to function properly with the game pad. Someone also mentioned UI bounds which could benefit from a bit of tweaking. The only thing I'd run into and hadn't seen mentioned was an issue Ive been running into where the reticle is very touchy when trying to pick stuff up in the environment which results in a lot of unwarranted jumping (not an issue playing with the same controller on xbox one, tested during the freeplay last weekend)
    Working as intended...

Steam - XBL - ESO -and just about anything else you can think of @firereverie
  • daroule1982
    daroule1982
    ✭✭
    I wrote a review from my experience with the Xbox One controller a little while back. Here is a link to my issues regarding the feature:

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/230209/review-gamepad-review-and-suggestions

In case you didn't click the link, I basically analyzed first hand experience with the Xbox One Controller. The problem that stick out most for me is the insulting amount of input lag occurring between the left thumb-stick, and the right thumb-stick (while moving). Please do some of us a favor, and let us know what we can do to fix this. Thanks much. ~shredmeister1982
    Edited by daroule1982 on December 30, 2015 3:26PM
    >_< Hail hail the gang's all here! We slay skeevers...we slay skeevers! >_<
  • Reznr
    Reznr
    Soul Shriven
    *sorry, didn't realize this was a PTS thread, I'm on mobile at work. Everything I mention below is related to the live client as of 20150107*

Set up: wired pc Xbox 360 controller, default bindings

I've been using a controller almost exclusively since returning this month, and I just wanted to say that I love it. With three exceptions:

1) searching for items through guild traders.

I've been doing crafting writs and many times I get one for a recipe I do not currently have. When attempting to find a specific item by name, I have to scroll through pages of recipes where I can only see two at a time and it's somewhat frustrating to have to do this for a dozen traders.

Maybe I missed it, but a sort by name would be extremely helpful here.

2) attacking innocents toggle behavior is awkward when using a controller.

During my adventures of robbing npcs, it will eventually happen that I will need to kill one that becomes hostile. That being said, I need to play with the "prevent attacking innocents" off (or fumble through the menu as I'm being attacked; been there done that).

The problem with setting it to "off" all the time though, is that, the button used to cancel selection, menus etc is also bound to an ability. So when quickly trying to close things by spamming the button, several times I've ended up attacking random npcs in town which causes issues.

I would propose one of two things to remedy this (beyond me being more careful...)

* change the "prevent attacking innocents: on" toggle so that it will let me attack someone attacking me (maybe an npc can have their "innocent" property disabled when they take offensive action on a player)
    * or, add a third toggle option "hostile only" that does something similar to the above.

3) when targeting other players using a controller, it shows their account name instead of the player name.

This is somewhat confusing when I'm looking for someone I see typing into chat, which shows the character name, but I cannot match that to an in game avatar.

Other than those, I think the UI is very well done and plays well with a controller!
    Edited by Reznr on January 7, 2016 9:19PM
  • Carl-lan
    Carl-lan
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hello.

After recently converting from Xbox to PC - and coming from primarily console gaming in the past, I much prefer to use the xbox controller / gamepad as opposed to the keyboard and mouse. I've been testing this game since Christmas on my PC and I have two main points to discuss:

1. Input lag.
    My computer is fairly high-spec for a gaming PC, but I seem to get input lag on from the thumbsticks every time I play. It's pretty regular, and it's quite frustrating. This happens more often than not when in combat or around a few people, or if playing the game for a long time. I've tried various things, different cables, different USB ports (currently I'm connected directly into the motherboard using USB 3.0, and the xBox cable that came with the controller), and even dropping the graphic settings to low. This still didn't fix the issue. It's much easier to play on the Xbox with the controller, no lag there at all. Is anyone else reporting this, and if so, is there any known fixes for it?

I'm yet to play in PvP area because I would just get completely destroyed.

2. Switch UI Option
    I originally liked the idea that the entire UI switched to the console UI. This made the switch for me pretty easy... however, I think there should be an option to switch between the console UI and the standard PC UI. I'm sure there's a reason why there isn't... but I think it would be pretty easy to do from a functionality perspective. I would suggest when switching to PC UI, it would just acts similar to the way it works now, where you can move around and select one menu item at a time using the D-Pad or thumbstick... however as soon as you move the mouse it would overwrite this functionality to act as it currently does using keyboard and mouse. This would allow you to use the mouse and keyboard for menus (merchants, banks, crafting etc.) as opposed to the gamepad, which, although I am faster with the gamepad currently, I would certainly prefer to navigate these menus with a mouse and keyboard. At the moment, once you get into the majority of menus using the gamepad UI, you can't use the mouse to navigate through things, only click the 'ok' or 'back' buttons every so often.

Switching the UI option would also allow for the 3rd party mods to work the same way they currently do without really much tweaking. I find that a lot of the mods don't work so great with the console UI overlay.

That's my two suggestions. Hopefully this helps you in further developing this feature.
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Carl-lan wrote: »
    That's my two suggestions. Hopefully this helps you in further developing this feature.

I think you can pretty much forget about any changes to the Controller UI. First off, they originally stated that they intended to give us "auto sensing/auto switching" technology that would switch to the appropriate device whenever you touched a button... so it would switch to controller when you hit a controller button or keyboard/mouse if you touched one of their buttons. Instead, they decided to go the cheap route and simply PORTED the XBOX One Controller UI over to the PC and then said, "We are looking forward to seeing what add-on developers do with this." To date, absolutely NO add-on developer has touched it and very few threads relating to complaints... so no, they will not be doing anything further with Controller UI. Instead, the majority of us who play with a controller simply went back to using XPadder with the PC UI.
  • DeathTrigger
    DeathTrigger
    Soul Shriven
    Eh, I can't find any answer to my problem...

Last week it used to work perfectly, and now no response from the inputs.
    Yes, Driver is setup and yes the Gamepad option is set to Yes.

I've tried everything to make it work, most frustrating it works with all my other games beside ESO..
    I'm running out of options

Xbox 360 Controller Wireless.
  • Madamova
    Madamova
    ✭✭✭
    Hi, I would like to thank devs for finally rolling out much needed controller support.
    Everything works fine for me, except for the ability to Sprint. It doesn't matter which button I assign Sprint to - it just not functioning. Just wondering if anyone else is having the same issue?
  • Casdha
    Casdha
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Madamova wrote: »
    Hi, I would like to thank devs for finally rolling out much needed controller support.
    Everything works fine for me, except for the ability to Sprint. It doesn't matter which button I assign Sprint to - it just not functioning. Just wondering if anyone else is having the same issue?

Are you sure your assigning the right action? I can't remember the names off the top of my head but there is a toggle run/walk and a sprint. Also, did you accidentally set a hold instead of a press of the button? Forgive me if it seems silly, but since no one else has offered up anything, I thought I'd give it a go.

Proud member of the Psijic Order - The first wave - The 0.016%

• Madamova
    Madamova
    ✭✭✭
    Are you sure your assigning the right action? I can't remember the names off the top of my head but there is a toggle run/walk and a sprint. Also, did you accidentally set a hold instead of a press of the button? Forgive me if it seems silly, but since no one else has offered up anything, I thought I'd give it a go.

[/quote]

Thank you so much for taking your time to answer. I'm pretty sure I assigned Sprint to certain buttons - in fact - first time I tried to assign it to left trigger (pressed once), when it didn't work I assigned it to right button and still nothing. Whatever other functions I assign to those (or any other) buttons working fine. It only refuses to Sprint. Also, when assigning buttons it clearly indicates whether I'm pressing or holding it down. Can you please confirm that you CAN sprint when using gamepad? It's a bit frustraiting because I seems to be the only one having this issue. Unless... maybe there's is a problem with Logitech controller - that's what I'm using atm. Will give it a go with Xbox controller and will post if it get fixed.
    Thank you againg for trying to help :smile:
  • bluebloodb16_ESO
    I have the original Xbox One controller and receiver on my PC, and it totally doesn't work at all ! Even if I connect my controller through USB with my PC...zilch, nothing, zero ! Good work Zenimax !
  • Acharnor
    Acharnor
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've been using an x-box one wired pc controller since January. I love it for gameplay! However, I do not like the UI for crafting or banking - the PC one is just simpler. l also do not like the account names being used instead of character names, fortunately there is an add-on for that.

I have a very occasional issue where the controller will just glitch out and stop working. The xbox symbol does not light up and if I push it it flashes for a while and goes back to off. If I switch from the USB3 to USB2 port it works again. The fist time this happened it fixed itself at some point as I plugged it back into its original USB3 slot. Currently I am back to the USB2 port as it just happened two days ago.
    Celebrate for life is short but sweet for certain.
  • Acharnor
    Acharnor
    ✭✭✭✭
    Update - while trying to resolve the controller USB issue I found out that somehow the USB had turned itself off, some message about it having an error. I disabled and then reenabled it and the controller worked again in that USB. Very strange.
    Celebrate for life is short but sweet for certain.
  • starr_stealer
    starr_stealer
    Soul Shriven
    I know I am late to the punch, but hopefully this wont be missed and the suggestion not taken lightly. To be completely Blunt, the Gamepad UI is horrible, from a desktop point of view. I would use the controller to sit back and relax and nothing more. Almost every interaction with any menu I would still use the Keyboard. Controller would only be for character movement/fighting. We play games on PC for a reason, more control. Console games are always so compact and annoying at times.

So my suggestion, add an extra option NOT change the UI when the Gamepad is enabled, and retain full Keyboard support. Id like it to be like other games when you can just use both at the same time.