The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29
We will be performing maintenance for patch 10.0.2 on the PTS on Monday at 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC).

Official Feedback Thread for Controller Support

• ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone else have any more input into their experience with the console UI? Seems for such a 'much sought after' addition to the PC version by some who posted continuous thread complains about it not being in the game, that you would see more participation on PTS to add input to its development. Hopefully when it goes Live and these players suddenly reappear only to complain, we can direct them back to this thread and show them the reason for it. To me it's like voting... if you didn't vote, you have no reason to complain about the outcome. ;)
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • Casdha
    Casdha
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ADarklore wrote: »
    Anyone else have any more input into their experience with the console UI? Seems for such a 'much sought after' addition to the PC version by some who posted continuous thread complains about it not being in the game, that you would see more participation on PTS to add input to its development. Hopefully when it goes Live and these players suddenly reappear only to complain, we can direct them back to this thread and show them the reason for it. To me it's like voting... if you didn't vote, you have no reason to complain about the outcome. ;)

I've got to get use to using it first. First impressions, it looks cool but I'd rather use my keyboard and the old menu for those types of functions.

I'll reserve final judgment for live version + add-ons built for the new version.

I'd really like to see it to where if you did something to pull up your menu with your keyboard, you get that UI, and if you did something with your controller you got the other UI, but that may open the door for to many bugs.
    Proud member of the Psijic Order - The first wave - The 0.016%

• ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Casdha wrote: »
    I'd really like to see it to where if you did something to pull up your menu with your keyboard, you get that UI, and if you did something with your controller you got the other UI, but that may open the door for to many bugs.

^THIS... is exactly what they initially said how the new Controller support would work- it was described as an auto-sensing, auto-switching system that would switch the UI to whatever device was activated. So if you pushed a button on the keyboard/mouse, it would automatically switch to the KB/Mouse UI... touch a button on the Controller, it would auto-switch to the Controller UI. This is how the said their in-house system works, and that is what they wanted for the game. Yet, here we have the Controller UI on the PTS, and it is nothing like how they said it was going to work. But what is more irritating, is how they have never said a word about that. No, "It was too complicated to integrate", no, "We're still hoping to implement it this way", NOTHING.

Considering that right now, when you switch between the two in the setup, it automatically does a ReloadUI... so I can't help but think that in order for them to implement this type of switching, we'd have seen a constant 'ReloadUI' instead of the seamless 'auto-switching' that they had initially described. I'm OK with the way it is now, but it would be nice to actually get some information back from ZOS directly so we know if this is what we're getting permanently, or if they're still working on the 'auto-switching' ability.

But yes, it is a royal PAIN to try to navigate inventory and skills menus with the Controller UI when you're used to the ease of click and drag and point and click.
    Edited by ADarklore on October 13, 2015 5:00PM
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • nick59349b14_ESO
    nick59349b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Has anybody used the invert Y-Axis and had it work? I have turned it on but it doesn't work. I prefer the reversed view. Other than that it works great!!

Thanks.
    Edited by nick59349b14_ESO on October 14, 2015 12:43AM
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

^THIS... is exactly what they initially said how the new Controller support would work- it was described as an auto-sensing, auto-switching system that would switch the UI to whatever device was activated. So if you pushed a button on the keyboard/mouse, it would automatically switch to the KB/Mouse UI... touch a button on the Controller, it would auto-switch to the Controller UI. This is how the said their in-house system works, and that is what they wanted for the game. Yet, here we have the Controller UI on the PTS, and it is nothing like how they said it was going to work. But what is more irritating, is how they have never said a word about that. No, "It was too complicated to integrate", no, "We're still hoping to implement it this way", NOTHING.

Considering that right now, when you switch between the two in the setup, it automatically does a ReloadUI... so I can't help but think that in order for them to implement this type of switching, we'd have seen a constant 'ReloadUI' instead of the seamless 'auto-switching' that they had initially described. I'm OK with the way it is now, but it would be nice to actually get some information back from ZOS directly so we know if this is what we're getting permanently, or if they're still working on the 'auto-switching' ability.

But yes, it is a royal PAIN to try to navigate inventory and skills menus with the Controller UI when you're used to the ease of click and drag and point and click.

What OS and controller are you all using.

I'm on Win10 using an Xbox one controller and i can simultaneously use both and it does switch back n forth. (As long as I'm not in a menu)

Also when and where are u getting forced into a reload UI?
    Edited by NewBlacksmurf on October 14, 2015 1:12AM
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm on Win10 using an Xbox one controller and i can simultaneously use both and it does switch back n forth. (As long as I'm not in a menu)

I'm on Win7 using a PS4 controller.

So you're able to access the drop & drag KB/Mouse menu when you push a keyboard button and then switch back to the Controller UI menu when you open the menu from the Controller? Because that is how it is supposed to work, or how they said it would work- that you would be able to automatically swap UI between Controller and KB/Mouse. Right now, you either have to fully enable the Controller UI and have simple keyboard shortcut access to the Controller UI- no mouse drag and dropping... so if you want the old fashioned KB/Mouse UI menu system, you have to disable the Controller UI. Thus, it is not 'auto-switching' because I cannot access the original KB/Mouse menu system if I have the Controller UI enable. What you have now is a Controller UI that allows keyboard shortcuts and mouse click selections, but I'm talking about having access to move between BOTH UIs at the touch of a button- which is how they originally described it.
    Has anybody used the invert Y-Axis and had it work? I have turned it on but it doesn't work. I prefer the reversed view. Other than that it works great!!

Thanks.

I had this same exact problem, turns out there is a completely SEPARATE Options menu within the Controller UI itself. Setting it in the main Camera setting only impacts the PC version, you have to go into the Controller UI Options, which is near the bottom of the options when you open the Controller menu, and change it there.
    Edited by ADarklore on October 14, 2015 2:06AM
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    -It was not obvious how to figure out how to enable controller support (it should be set to on by default)

Not everyone who uses a controller WANTS to use the new UI... so why should we have to deal with our existing system being messed up while we search for a way to turn OFF the controller support? It should be OFF by default and if the way to turn it on is confusing, then it needs to be located in a more noticeable location- perhaps at the TOP of one of the menus or even have it's own separate entry.

If you understand how it works the UI only changes when a controller is plugged in. The reference to on is so the game swaps the UI automatically instead of needing to enable it first before it swaps and recognizes the controller.

So I would have to unplug my controller to get the mouse and keyboard UI? No thanks. So long as settings are saved when you set to controller, I don't see the problem. Definitely, it should not be dynamic based on whether a controller is plugged in since my controller is always plugged in.
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DaveMoeDee wrote: »
    So I would have to unplug my controller to get the mouse and keyboard UI? No thanks. So long as settings are saved when you set to controller, I don't see the problem. Definitely, it should not be dynamic based on whether a controller is plugged in since my controller is always plugged in.

Agreed. And I go back to when the devs initially described how it would work... they said it would work like their 'in-house' system in which you push a button on the controller, it switches to Controller UI... you push a button on the KB/Mouse, it switches to KB/Mouse UI. They didn't say, "we disconnect our controller to get the KB/Mouse UI, then we plug it back in to get the Controller UI." Obviously, it wouldn't switch to the Controller UI if there wasn't a controller plugged in to activate it.
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_RichLambert

Would it be possible to please add in the Controls->Keybindings section a keybind option to switch between PC and Controller UI?!? This would make it super easy for players to switch between UIs for various tasks... for me, using the PC UI for respecing skills and inventory management is so much easier than the Controller UI.

I got a chance to go back in and use it a bit more this morning and realized that what I said previously was wrong, there is no forced /reloadui when you turn manually on/off the Controller UI so I couldn't help but think this would be great if it could be added as a keybind option. Keep it on the main Setup section too, but also add a keybind in the Controls section. :)

Edited by ADarklore on October 15, 2015 11:42AM
  • ZOS_ChipHilseberg
    ZOS_ChipHilseberg
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_RichLambert

Would it be possible to please add in the Controls->Keybindings section a keybind option to switch between PC and Controller UI?!? This would make it super easy for players to switch between UIs for various tasks... for me, using the PC UI for respecing skills and inventory management is so much easier than the Controller UI.

I got a chance to go back in and use it a bit more this morning and realized that what I said previously was wrong, there is no forced /reloadui when you turn manually on/off the Controller UI so I couldn't help but think this would be great if it could be added as a keybind option. Keep it on the main Setup section too, but also add a keybind in the Controls section. :)

This is definitely something we'd like to do. A keybind means a bit more edge case checking because it can be used in "scarier" cases like when a dialog is up. Once the bugs are hammered out, though, it's something we'd like to push out.
    Edited by ZOS_GinaBruno on October 15, 2015 4:24PM
    Staff Post
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm on Win7 using a PS4 controller.

So you're able to access the drop & drag KB/Mouse menu when you push a keyboard button and then switch back to the Controller UI menu when you open the menu from the Controller? Because that is how it is supposed to work, or how they said it would work- that you would be able to automatically swap UI between Controller and KB/Mouse. Right now, you either have to fully enable the Controller UI and have simple keyboard shortcut access to the Controller UI- no mouse drag and dropping... so if you want the old fashioned KB/Mouse UI menu system, you have to disable the Controller UI. Thus, it is not 'auto-switching' because I cannot access the original KB/Mouse menu system if I have the Controller UI enable. What you have now is a Controller UI that allows keyboard shortcuts and mouse click selections, but I'm talking about having access to move between BOTH UIs at the touch of a button- which is how they originally described it.

Thanks.

I had this same exact problem, turns out there is a completely SEPARATE Options menu within the Controller UI itself. Setting it in the main Camera setting only impacts the PC version, you have to go into the Controller UI Options, which is near the bottom of the options when you open the Controller menu, and change it there.
    -It was not obvious how to figure out how to enable controller support (it should be set to on by default)

Not everyone who uses a controller WANTS to use the new UI... so why should we have to deal with our existing system being messed up while we search for a way to turn OFF the controller support? It should be OFF by default and if the way to turn it on is confusing, then it needs to be located in a more noticeable location- perhaps at the TOP of one of the menus or even have it's own separate entry.

If you understand how it works the UI only changes when a controller is plugged in. The reference to on is so the game swaps the UI automatically instead of needing to enable it first before it swaps and recognizes the controller.

Hey folks sorry. Been off PTS in favor of the recent Xbox one patch update.

To clarify...in my experiences as of right now...
    In context the plugging in and unplugging a controller doesn't auto/swap anything automatically even after settings have enabled controller UI support. Likewise, moving the mouse or pressing an attack key do not auto swap

What does and is occurring is as such:
    -If I'm playing with my controller (Xbox one without any third party software or reported errors) and for whatever reason I decide to use my mouse and keyboard, both work simultaneously. Without reloading or pause and delays

-If I hit the menu button on my controller the controller UI pops up and allows my controller to function in that UI and other than mouse wheel, most keyboard and mouse actions don't work
    -If I hit the ESC key on my keyboard, the PC system UI pops up and works like a console UI until I press buttons on my controller which then will immediately close the PC ESC menu and either require I go back in either menu depending on what I press.

In the game pad UI the mouse look works by moving the mouse or the controller.

Edit: The one big feature request that many will ask for is that the A button image or E image change or be different because it seems the UI sticks with game pad UI interactions vs PC UI after using the game pad.

But other than this, there are no restrictions and it's a natural opportunity to mix and match as needed or desired

AND
    Ppl will complain because the specific character names no longer show up. It's a PC account name just like consoles.

*Made lots of edits and removed some stuff for clarity
    Edited by NewBlacksmurf on October 15, 2015 8:07PM
  • Hiero_Glyph
    Hiero_Glyph
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm just going to go on record here and say that it's insulting that PC is getting mapping options for controllers when you cannot even offer this for the console version of the game where using a controller is mandatory. The fact that PC also has an integrated text chat for the console UI suggests that ZOS could have included text chat on consoles since the UI supports it when using a controller. At some point ZOS will have to answer for these decisions.
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    -If I'm playing with my controller (Xbox one without any third party software or reported errors) and for whatever reason I decide to use my mouse and keyboard, both work simultaneously. Without reloading or pause and delays

-If I hit the menu button on my controller the controller UI pops up and allows my controller to function in that UI and other than mouse wheel, most keyboard and mouse actions don't work
    -If I hit the ESC key on my keyboard, the PC UI pops up and works like a PC UI until I press buttons on my controller which then will immediately close the PC ESC menu and either require I go back in either menu depending on what I press.

When you say MENU, what 'menu' are you speaking of? Because if I hit ESC, yes, the regular PC SETTINGS menu pops up, but if I hit 'K' to bring up skills, it is the Controller UI skills menu that pops up, NOT the PC UI menu. There is absolutely no way I can access the PC inventory, skills, etc menus unless I completely disable the Controller UI in settings.
    AND
    Ppl will complain because the specific character names no longer show up. It's a PC account name just like consoles.

^THIS is just bizarre because it shouldn't be happening. It sounds like there are several things that they didn't remove from the XBOX One UI while porting it to the PC- which really needs to be fixed before going Live.
    Edited by ADarklore on October 15, 2015 6:32PM
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

-If I hit the ESC key on my keyboard, the PC UI pops up and works like a PC UI until I press buttons on my controller which then will immediately close the PC ESC menu and either require I go back in either menu depending on what I press.

When you say MENU, what 'menu' are you speaking of? Because if I hit ESC, yes, the regular PC SETTINGS menu pops up, but if I hit 'K' to bring up skills, it is the Controller UI skills menu that pops up, NOT the PC UI menu. There is absolutely no way I can access the PC inventory, skills, etc menus unless I completely disable the Controller UI in settings.

Menu is the Menu on the xbox one controller
    -on PC its system (ESC)

I get what you're asking and the answer is no...once you're in the game-pad UI, you're in it as far as how it looks. What flip flops is being in control of the UI does flip/flop (as in you're not limited to using a controller or mouse+keyboard or both at the same time) but the UI itself never changes unless you hit the ESC pc key and go change it.

That part (PC only) of the UI is locked in the BETA controller to not flip/flop back and forth and even whats odd to me is if that UI is not tunred on, you cannot even partially control your character in the PC UI at all with a game-pad. All functionality is immediately disabled...but when you look under key bindings...you see the other bindings

*I know what someone said from ZOS but if you've been around ..... what is said vs what actually is reality are far from the same. Not saying it right...just that its one or the other as far as viewing.

If you recall....someone also said consoles would have a text chat box too.....and....yeah that was a lie.

*I'm also pretty sure that add-on support will not work at all in this new UI cause....its not the PC UI.
    Perhaps people were actually asking ZOS to enable game-pad support on the PC UI instead of what ZOS did which is ported the game-pad UI for consoles and replaced the PC UI.

Its what I tell me kids...you heard me but you aren't listening to me (ZOS rarely listens to feedback but they hear it)

xbox_one_controller_buttons.png
    Edited by NewBlacksmurf on October 15, 2015 7:09PM
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So here is my actual feedback:
    This is the official feedback thread for controller support on PC. Specific feedback the team is looking for includes:
    • Did everything appear to function properly?
    • Was it easy to find out how to enable or disable controller support?
    • How did it feel using the console UI?

-The controller requires game=pad support to be turned on and without knowing where and how to do so, this will cause many users to assume its not supported or that there is an issue.
    *Suggestion* - Your game UI needs to intuitively be able to toggle on/off game-pad support but the console UI and the PC UI should be represented in the current on/off settings (both game-pad and mouse+keyboard should work always regardless of UI even if the PC UI has game-pad limitations)

If this isn't possible then you're not offering customer game-pad support, you need to change your terms and clarify that you are offering console UI ONLY WITH GAME_PAD support.

Clarify that using a game-pad doesn't actually swap the UI from console to PC but there is a required setting to turn on and off the console UI and swapping back is not possible.

-The console UI didn't feel like it should be on PC as is. You guys will hear a lot of very harsh feedback as there are 0 options to adjust the size, font size, layout, and enable/disable bars, etc. which is the same feedback you're currently seeing on the console side.

*Suggestion*
    - If you plan on releasing this as is, the very next PC patch needs to open up the following as a minimum
    - UI size adjustments for console UI
    - Enable/Disable console UI in favor of using a game-pad with PC UI and with PC UI add-ons **VERY IMPORTANT**
    - any bar, quest, chat box, etc (anything seen on the screen) needs to have options that exist on PC
    - The character names were completely removed and PC Account names replaced all character names (You need to change this back to the default PC UI look)

There wasn't a need to make PC use a console UI.
    You only needed to enable a mouse navigation with the control pad using the thumb sticks when in the PC UI and all other functions would've been fine left as is

Those of us who use another program are already used to that type of functionality and add-ons would be able to add other opportunities where a cursor may not be ideal

Ive never understood why the console UI isn't mostly like PC anyways. That's my feedback
    Edited by NewBlacksmurf on October 15, 2015 8:18PM
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with what @NewBlacksmurf had to say about suggestions, hopefully ZOS takes a look at them and implements changes. There is no means of adjusting the graphics size, many PC Addons will not work with the CONSOLE UI- I just checked and a few were working, but some that I use regularly were not. I also have my doubts that addon developers will start making Controller UI addons simply because there is so little demand for it... most of these developers play on PC because they prefer to KB/Mouse. I hope I'm wrong, but given that a few PC addon developers have already left the game and are no longer supporting their addons, it is a concern.

I really really wanted to like the new Controller UI... but honestly, if I wanted to play on the console, I'd have bought the console version. I just want to use my controller with the PC version, not have it transformed into an XBOX One game. Without being able to easily switch back and forth between PC/Controller UI because of the aforementioned problems noted by @ZOS_ChipHilseberg , I'm not sure I will be using it until that option becomes available. In all honesty, I would have been happy simply having the PC keybindings work with controller button mapping without adding a new Controller UI.
  • Casdha
    Casdha
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm just going to go on record here and say that it's insulting that PC is getting mapping options for controllers when you cannot even offer this for the console version of the game where using a controller is mandatory. The fact that PC also has an integrated text chat for the console UI suggests that ZOS could have included text chat on consoles since the UI supports it when using a controller. At some point ZOS will have to answer for these decisions.

I said they'd be upset when they found out.

Look on the bright side, when they get the bugs ironed out and PC gets done beta testing it, The whole UI combo could be ported over to console (provided you had a keyboard) then versions would be almost identical.

• ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Look on the bright side, when they get the bugs ironed out and PC gets done beta testing it, The whole UI combo could be ported over to console (provided you had a keyboard) then versions would be almost identical.

Everyone seems to be forgetting the fact that... PC already had text coded within its UI. Porting over the XBOX One UI does not mean suddenly that the Controller UI has text chat, it means that the Controller UI is utilizing the PC Text chat that was already coded.
  • Hiero_Glyph
    Hiero_Glyph
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Everyone seems to be forgetting the fact that... PC already had text coded within its UI. Porting over the XBOX One UI does not mean suddenly that the Controller UI has text chat, it means that the Controller UI is utilizing the PC Text chat that was already coded.

Text chat is not something that is new or complicated, even on consoles. PSO had it for the Dreamcast way back in 2000. In fact, the console version of ESO even had text chat during closed beta and there were official but errant statements by the dev team that the console version would support text chat. These were later corrected of course, but if you have members of the dev team saying such things then obviously the code is there and working to a degree.

Personally, the lack of a controller mapping option is the bigger crime since this was requested on day 1 of the console release and ZOS never commented on the issue. To see them add it as an optional feature for PC makes it even worse since the majority of PC players will not even use it. The lack of information doesn't help when console players are seeing their support given to PC and continue to be ignored on the issue(s).
    Edited by Hiero_Glyph on October 16, 2015 6:14PM
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Text chat is not something that is new or complicated, even on consoles. PSO had it for the Dreamcast way back in 2000. In fact, the console version of ESO even had text chat during closed beta and there were official but errant statements by the dev team that the console version would support text chat. These were later corrected of course, but if you have members of the dev team saying such things then obviously the code is there and working to a degree.

Personally, the lack of a controller mapping option is the bigger crime since this was requested on day 1 of the console release and ZOS never commented on the issue. To see them add it as an optional feature for PC makes it even worse since the majority of PC players will not even use it. The lack of information doesn't help when console players are seeing their support given to PC and continue to be ignored on the issue(s).

So.......while laying on PTS using the game-pad, what experiences have you had and what feedback do you have for PC?
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The lack of information doesn't help when console players are seeing their support given to PC and continue to be ignored on the issue(s).

I'm kinda chuckling about this one considering that PC players saw lack of game development for over a year because ZOS devoted the majority of their resources to console development. So in reality, it is about time that PC players saw some support.

Further, I've heard that lack of controller mapping was a console hardware issue and not software- could be wrong- but it's not the only game out there that doesn't offer any type of controller mapping for the console.

In regards to text chat... I agree, even on DCUO we had text chat AND audio with console. However, how many times have the devs stated their plans but in the end didn't pan out? Even with this Controller UI, it did not turn out how they said it would be. Clearly, the ideas that devs have hit reality once they start digging in and programming it. Keep in mind that even the original console design had to be completely reworked- which is why it took that extra year in development.
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Further, I've heard that lack of controller mapping was a console hardware issue and not software- could be wrong- but it's not the only game out there that doesn't offer any type of controller mapping for the console.

I doubt there is a hardware issue. Each signal from the control needs to be assigned by the application to a task. There will always be a level of abstraction that allows for dynamic control configuration (mapping).

Mapping for controllers is a little trickier that keyboard and mouse mapping because controllers usually lack buttons. This means that separate keys on a keyboard might be merged to the same button on a controller based on what functions are least likely to be needed at the same time. I suppose they could always accept voice commands in lieu of buttons with a kinect. That would make proximity chat even more awesome!

I can't do pure controller on PC. I play the Witcher with a controller, but I use the keyboard to open inventory, open maps, and quick save. Using the controller for those tasks is tedious.
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I doubt there is a hardware issue. Each signal from the control needs to be assigned by the application to a task. There will always be a level of abstraction that allows for dynamic control configuration (mapping).

Mapping for controllers is a little trickier that keyboard and mouse mapping because controllers usually lack buttons. This means that separate keys on a keyboard might be merged to the same button on a controller based on what functions are least likely to be needed at the same time. I suppose they could always accept voice commands in lieu of buttons with a kinect. That would make proximity chat even more awesome!

I can't do pure controller on PC. I play the Witcher with a controller, but I use the keyboard to open inventory, open maps, and quick save. Using the controller for those tasks is tedious.

I think with the game-pad support that is exactly why mouse and keyboard work simultaneously (just not sure about the forced console UI for PC folks as I don't recall seeing much interest in having a console UI for PC as most at least want the option to use add-ons or are comfortable with how the system works on PC
    Edited by NewBlacksmurf on October 17, 2015 3:31AM
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ... just not sure about the forced console UI for PC folks as I don't recall seeing much interest in having a console UI for PC as most at least want the option to use add-ons or are comfortable with how the system works on PC

Exactly, there wasn't. However, because ZOS spent so much time developing the Console UI, they were so proud of themselves that they felt that surely they could save time by just giving PC players that same, awesome <maybe for consoles>, Controller UI. Sure, let's turn their PC into a CONSOLE because that's what they wanted when they bought the PC version. :o

Again, this is a matter of ZOS not listening, not really listening, but just giving players what ZOS wants to give them figuring that it will appease everyone... which is never the case when you only get bits and pieces of what you actually want. I am sure those who are console players already but want to play on PC for the addons will like it- except for the addons that won't work or be updated for the Controller UI- but those who are already used to using a Controller through third-party software alongside KB/Mouse will not.

As I've mentioned before, I've pretty much resigned myself to continue using DS4Tool and Xpadder and forgoing having my PC become an XBOX One console with ESO.
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ... just not sure about the forced console UI for PC folks as I don't recall seeing much interest in having a console UI for PC as most at least want the option to use add-ons or are comfortable with how the system works on PC

Exactly, there wasn't. However, because ZOS spent so much time developing the Console UI, they were so proud of themselves that they felt that surely they could save time by just giving PC players that same, awesome <maybe for consoles>, Controller UI. Sure, let's turn their PC into a CONSOLE because that's what they wanted when they bought the PC version. :o

Again, this is a matter of ZOS not listening, not really listening, but just giving players what ZOS wants to give them figuring that it will appease everyone... which is never the case when you only get bits and pieces of what you actually want. I am sure those who are console players already but want to play on PC for the addons will like it- except for the addons that won't work or be updated for the Controller UI- but those who are already used to using a Controller through third-party software alongside KB/Mouse will not.

As I've mentioned before, I've pretty much resigned myself to continue using DS4Tool and Xpadder and forgoing having my PC become an XBOX One console with ESO.

I hope they have a way to offer game-pad support and when the menu is hit the game-pad thumb stick goes into mouse mode and a button or trigger is right and left mouse click.

That's how my Xpadder worked and it was great. I love console play but the UI does suck compared to the PC UI. It's not bad but in comparison it lacks a lot that didn't need to be reworked. Sad they delayed the platforms for 12+ months for this and game-pad support for PC even longer and seemingly have no solution but to go with a console option for PC which didn't revive a lot of praise. It was just like....oh it's different...ok well at least it works. (Pop-up error UI still is a problem and sometimes you have to quit the whole game on console in some errors)

Suggestion:
    Use the PC UI
    Use the game-pad bindings
    Allows more UI customization with the Game-pad in mind.
    Edited by NewBlacksmurf on October 18, 2015 9:54PM
  • pkarapan77
    pkarapan77
    Soul Shriven
    Great job guys; just a couple issues i've found:

1. the ultimate ability icon doesn't accurately reflect modified keybindings other than "RB+LB."
    2. can we please have the ability to decrease the font size for both the interface UI and NPC conversations?
    3. it would definitely be nice to "auto-switch" between mouse/keyboard and gamepad UI's based on last used input device, as some other people have previously mentioned above.
    4. finally, has any thought been given to matching the aesthetics of the keymouse/mouse UI and console UI? They seem very different in terms of style.

Thanks
  • pkarapan77
    pkarapan77
    Soul Shriven
    Oh, I forgot to mention, would it be possible to get keybind-able analog inputs in mouse/keyboard UI mode instead of A,W,S,D?
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I've been looking forward to Controller support since even the possibility of it was first mentioned. After reading this thread and learning that most add-ons won't work with the Console UI, however, I doubt I will do more than try it. The regular UI is so bland, that I could not play without add-ons. Unless there is a big change in the add-on picture, I'll stick with my current Xbox wireless and Xpadder. Too, bad, I was looking forward to the larger text on the Console UI......I have a hard time seeing the text clearly on my large screen TV, even when maxed in options.
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • Casdha
    Casdha
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NEW FEATURES / UPDATES / BIG CHANGES - BASE-GAME PATCH

Controller Support for PC
    You are now able to use a controller that supports XInput, such as an Xbox One controller, while playing the PC version of the game!
    • To switch to gamepad mode, navigate to the Gameplay menu in Settings and plug in your controller.
      • Existing add-ons will continue to work.
      • Gamepad mode on PC retains keyboard support for text chat, UI shortcuts and character movement.
    • The API has been updated to encourage development of gamepad-specific add-ons. We can’t wait to check them out !
    • Gamepad mode is not supported on the Mac game client even though the option is visible and accessible. You can switch back to the regular form of gameplay by pressing the Escape key, then navigating through the keyboard Settings to turn it off.

Isn't this suppose to mean that Add-ons will work and new custom add-ons can be made to be used with the new Controller UI?
    Edited by Casdha on October 19, 2015 5:11AM

• KaneBunce
    KaneBunce
    Isn't this suppose to mean that Add-ons will work and new custom add-ons can be made to be used with the new Controller UI?

It will depend on if the add-ons are designed to alter something that is compatible with the Controller UI or not.

As for feedback, I think the ability to change the text size is the most important one. The text size is good for consoles where you sit quite far from the TV, but not for PCs where people tend to sit close, even a lot of controller users. Far from all controller users are using them with a PC in a lounge system that they sit further from.
    "A contradiction cannot exist in reality. Not in part, nor in whole." - Wizard's 9th Rule.