The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
The maintenance is complete, and the PTS is now back online and patch 10.0.1 is available.
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Official Feedback Thread for Controller Support

ZOS_GinaBruno
ZOS_GinaBruno
Community Manager
This is the official feedback thread for controller support on PC. Specific feedback the team is looking for includes:
  • Did everything appear to function properly?
  • Was it easy to find out how to enable or disable controller support?
  • How did it feel using the console UI?
Gina Bruno
Senior Community Manager
Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
Staff Post
  • Casdha
    Casdha
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't think it would, but I can confirm that a wired xbox 360 controller does not work with this game. (Doesn't recognize a single input)

Edit: I'll play with it more later to see if I was doing something wrong but have to leave for work now Have Fun!!
    Edited by Casdha on October 6, 2015 7:00PM
    Proud member of the Psijic Order - The first wave - The 0.016%

• Shuichi
    Shuichi
    ✭✭✭
    Casdha wrote: »
    I didn't think it would, but I can confirm that a wired xbox 360 controller does not work with this game. (Doesn't recognize a single input)

Edit: I'll play with it more later to see if I was doing something wrong but have to leave for work now Have Fun!!

I'm not sure why a wired xbox 360 controller wouldn't work? It's still an Xinput device. . .
    Hand of Sithis - Daggerfall Covenant
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager

Hmm, it should work. Silly question, but is it a Microsoft controller or third party?
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Darlgon
    Darlgon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Stupid questions from a person without an XBox, but who has worked on PCs for 20 years.

WHERE did you plug it in on the PC? Did your machine recognize the device and install it? If you go to your Control Panel and Devices, does it have a question mark?
    Power level to CP160 in a week:
    Where is the end game? You just played it.
    Why don't I have 300+ skill points? Because you skipped content along the way.
    Where is new content? Sigh.
  • Kaizer
    Kaizer
    ✭✭✭
    Darlgon wrote: »

Stupid questions from a person without an XBox, but who has worked on PCs for 20 years.

WHERE did you plug it in on the PC? Did your machine recognize the device and install it? If you go to your Control Panel and Devices, does it have a question mark?

The Xbox controllers for the 360 and Xbox One are connected via USB Port (360 Standard USB/Xbone One USB to Micro USB). The drivers will automatically attempt to install upon connection.
  • MisterJimothy
    MisterJimothy
    ✭✭✭
    Darlgon wrote: »

I can partially answer this in general but not in Casdha's situation.

Windows recognizes both the wired and the USB wireless receiver as an XBOX controller. The drivers appear to be either bundled, or are immediately downloaded upon insertion from Windows Update.
  • linuxfan3e8
    linuxfan3e8
    ✭✭
    Hello, I was wondering why you decided to use the XInput API over something that works in Mac OS X as well like SDL?
    SDL also supports a lot of HID compliant gamepads including the DualShock 4 (even in Windows) whereas XInput lacks support for the DualShock 4.

Wasn't sure where to ask this, I apologize if it's out of place here.
  • DobbaDeuce
    DobbaDeuce
    ✭✭✭
    My wired xbox 360 controller works, make sure you go to Settings -> Gameplay and turn "Gamepad Mode (Beta)" ON

Issues with XBOX 360 Wired Controller:
    1. In Crown Store Interface
    - LB (Left Bumper) and RB (Right Bumper) suggest that you can move between different Crown Store tabs, but these buttons do not do anything.
    - Keyboard commands are still present
    - - E: Purchase
    - - X: Back
    - - F: Buy Crowns
    - None of the controller buttons seem to do anything in this interface

Also, it seems by default the interface shifts to the console interface when Gamepad Mode is turned on. I don't know if it would be possible, but it would be neat if you could set which one you wanted or if it switched based on which control scheme you used last. For example, if I press "I" on my keyboard, it shows the standard PC interface. The switch to the console interface can be a bit jarring.
    Edited by DobbaDeuce on October 6, 2015 8:04PM
    Tamriel-616 - A Chronicle of Tamriel's Heroes
    Jollo | Daggerfall | Templar | Lvl 47 | Blackwater Blade
    Vidarr
    | Ebonheart | Sorcerer | Lvl 26 | Chillrend
    J'Pummra
    | Aldmeri | Dragonknight | Lvl 13 | Thornblade
  • DobbaDeuce
    DobbaDeuce
    ✭✭✭
    delete me!
    Edited by DobbaDeuce on October 6, 2015 8:04PM
    Tamriel-616 - A Chronicle of Tamriel's Heroes
    Jollo | Daggerfall | Templar | Lvl 47 | Blackwater Blade
    Vidarr
    | Ebonheart | Sorcerer | Lvl 26 | Chillrend
    J'Pummra
    | Aldmeri | Dragonknight | Lvl 13 | Thornblade
  • tamarap86
    tamarap86
    Just wondering when ps4 controllers be supported, cause I wanted to test it, but it doesn't' work yet unfortunately
    Hail Sithis || Blood for the Pact ||
    Dutch Lions Pact
    Website
  • linuxfan3e8
    linuxfan3e8
    ✭✭
    tamarap86 wrote: »
    Just wondering when ps4 controllers be supported, cause I wanted to test it, but it doesn't' work yet unfortunately

I'm not a developer but in the patch notes they said "You are now able to use a controller that supports XInput, such as an Xbox One controller, while playing the PC version of the game!".

XInput doesn't support PS4 controllers so they would need to switch to something that does or implement a compatibility layer.
  • Yattaq
    Yattaq
    ✭✭✭
    tamarap86 wrote: »

I use a PS4 controller too, but a lot of games won't support them by default, so I've downloaded InputMapper and it's worked in every game since.

Googling "ps4 controller on pc" will get you a lot of helpful information and links to other programs too.
    Edited by Yattaq on October 6, 2015 8:25PM
  • nikolaj.lemcheb16_ESO
    nikolaj.lemcheb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a much stronger sense of "being there" with a controller, but the entire interface is slower than mouse and keyboard, in that there is just a slight delay between pressing a button and the game reacting to it, making precise actions difficult like sneak attacks.

Block casting with using the 4th skill box is impossible if you also want to move while doing it.
  • Kaizer
    Kaizer
    ✭✭✭
    There is a much stronger sense of "being there" with a controller, but the entire interface is slower than mouse and keyboard, in that there is just a slight delay between pressing a button and the game reacting to it, making precise actions difficult like sneak attacks.

Block casting with using the 4th skill box is impossible if you also want to move while doing it.

This is why I would highly suggest to folks who are serious of playing this game with the new controller support to invest in a custom controller (SCUF Controller, preferably 4 paddles & Xbox One Elite Controller).

I purchased a Xbox One SCUF controller almost a year ago in preparation for this feature (which took much longer to be implemented than I expected) and also for the convenience in other titles I might want to try it out on. Even working with the current default layout, my set-up permits me to never have my thumbs leave the sticks to activate any of my abilities on the face buttons. Works like a charm. Concerning the shoulder abilities, slot in one that is non-essential for block casting to another location.
    Edited by Kaizer on October 6, 2015 9:47PM
  • GTech_1
    GTech_1
    ✭✭✭✭
    Back on topic:
    After updating the PTS client, clicking "Play" results in the following error:
    RO9vB1w.jpg
    Note: Like most other PC gamers, I have my gaming mouse, and my KB connected to my PC.
    I do not have my XBox controller, or any other controller, connected to my PC.

I am on Win 10, and I realize I could update my DX to get this fixed.
    However, average users, especially those who do not frequent these forums, will see this error and blame it on ESO.
    This should be fixed ASAP.
    Maybe force a DX version check, and an update, during the client update process?

Additional call out: This was not a fresh install of the PTS. I updated the previous PTS client, much like I would on Live.

Hope this helps,
    ~GTech_1
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    XInput seems to primarily be an Xbox controller thing; so are there wrappers for the other popular gamepads (DualShock, Logitech, etc) so that they will work with XInput?
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • linuxfan3e8
    linuxfan3e8
    ✭✭
    Enodoc wrote: »
    XInput seems to primarily be an Xbox controller thing; so are there wrappers for the other popular gamepads (DualShock, Logitech, etc) so that they will work with XInput?

tamarap86 reported that their DS4 didn't work with it so I don't think there's any wrappers right now. I don't have a DS4 or Logitech controller but I do have a DS3 that I can test once I finish downloading the PTS, so I'll do that and report if it works.
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm on Win10 ASUS Repub laptop using an Xbox one wired controller (no addons or other programs)

-It did work once in game but it doesn't work on the log in screen, or character select screen.
    -It was not obvious how to figure out how to enable controller support (it should be set to on by default)
    -once on the character abilities, movement all function properly.
    Some menus froze the whole controller interaction but not the game like crown store and any setting not present on consoles but that are present on PC now.

Overall it was a good experience once turned on

One major concern is that something weird happens when you log out.
    The character menu and character on the pedestal (not sure how to describe the chat log on screen) adjust the position of the character and we can't move them but the names cover the character too
    Edited by NewBlacksmurf on October 6, 2015 10:43PM
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • Yattaq
    Yattaq
    ✭✭✭
    Enodoc wrote: »

Following these instructions has my PS4 controller working. I did this a while ago for other games but it looks like all the same information.

http://www.techverse.net/how-to-use-ps4-dualshock-controller-windows-pc/

Essentially you just need the Xbox 360 controller drivers, and a program that makes a controller look like an Xbox 360 controller. The only issue I have with the default setup is the mount keybind, but since everything is customizable it won't be a big deal.
  • Shuichi
    Shuichi
    ✭✭✭
    The best way to use a DS4 is to grab DS4Windows and customize the track back to press back when you touch the trackpad. This way it essentially emulates the way the DS4 works on its console counterpart, I'll be making other tweaks and will come back with some more results.
    Hand of Sithis - Daggerfall Covenant
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    -It was not obvious how to figure out how to enable controller support (it should be set to on by default)

Not everyone who uses a controller WANTS to use the new UI... so why should we have to deal with our existing system being messed up while we search for a way to turn OFF the controller support? It should be OFF by default and if the way to turn it on is confusing, then it needs to be located in a more noticeable location- perhaps at the TOP of one of the menus or even have it's own separate entry.
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • Kaizer
    Kaizer
    ✭✭✭
    Feedback: Everything seems to work pretty smoothly so far, at least from my experience. My only gripe would be the "flavor" NPCs, who lack Interaction prompts but are still able to be conversed with by pressing E, can not be interacted with the controller.

Most of these NPCs just give out various forms of "Hello" & "Hail" but there are many who give a little flavor exposition depending on what is going on in the area, world and player actions. I feel like there shouldn't be a case where folks who play with the newly implemented controller support miss out on these by default.

As of now you can simply hit E on the keyboard and get the interaction but it defeats the purpose and concept of playing comfortably with a controller. I assume the interaction prompts (or flags) for these NPCs are still there while playing with a mouse and keyboard but invisible on the HUD for reduced clutter, yet still obviously available for interaction. Yet with the controller, the interaction prompt implementation seems more restrictive and these invisible interactions are not turned on, hence no response, just jumping.

Knowing the controller support is considered a Beta stage feature, it would be great to remedy this specific issue with a fantasy driven game that draws heavily on narrative interaction in its world. Players who like and bother with that kind of stuff shouldn't be missing out on these small things just because they're playing with official controller support.

Example of what I call "flavor" NPCs: Filenarth in Grahtwood. There are hundreds of these type of NPCs dotted throughout the game.
    Edited by Kaizer on October 7, 2015 12:23AM
  • Ysne58
    Ysne58
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't have a controller attached. However when I was going through the control key bindings, I noticed that roll dodge for the default keyboard is T1 + button 1 -- what the heck is that. I'm pretty sure standard keyboard doesn't have that.
    Edited by Ysne58 on October 7, 2015 12:16AM
  • Yattaq
    Yattaq
    ✭✭✭
    Ysne58 wrote: »
    I don't have a controller attached. However when I was going through the control key bindings, I noticed that roll dodge for the default keyboard is T1 + button 1 -- what the heck is that. I'm pretty sure standard keyboard doesn't have that.

The keybinds show both keyboard and controller keybinds
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Can controller buttons be reassigned, or are they locked to default settings?

I use an Xbox controller with Xpadder. Can you enable the gamepad UI, and use an existing configuration like mine (essentially a K/B emulator) instead of the default gamepad configuration? The UI is not ideal for gamepads in live version. It would be nice to have the new UI while using the gamepad layout I'm used to.
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ADarklore wrote: »

Not everyone who uses a controller WANTS to use the new UI... so why should we have to deal with our existing system being messed up while we search for a way to turn OFF the controller support? It should be OFF by default and if the way to turn it on is confusing, then it needs to be located in a more noticeable location- perhaps at the TOP of one of the menus or even have it's own separate entry.

If you understand how it works the UI only changes when a controller is plugged in. The reference to on is so the game swaps the UI automatically instead of needing to enable it first before it swaps and recognizes the controller.
    Edited by NewBlacksmurf on October 7, 2015 2:35AM
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • linuxfan3e8
    linuxfan3e8
    ✭✭
    Tried my DualShock 3 controller and it didn't work so the game doesn't seem to have a wrapper for supporting controllers XInput doesn't support, which is lame for all the people out there with non XBox controllers. Shouldn't have to use third party software to get it working.
  • Ysne58
    Ysne58
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    GTech_1 wrote: »
    Back on topic:
    After updating the PTS client, clicking "Play" results in the following error:
    RO9vB1w.jpg
    Note: Like most other PC gamers, I have my gaming mouse, and my KB connected to my PC.
    I do not have my XBox controller, or any other controller, connected to my PC.

I am on Win 10, and I realize I could update my DX to get this fixed.
    However, average users, especially those who do not frequent these forums, will see this error and blame it on ESO.
    This should be fixed ASAP.
    Maybe force a DX version check, and an update, during the client update process?

Additional call out: This was not a fresh install of the PTS. I updated the previous PTS client, much like I would on Live.

Hope this helps,
    ~GTech_1

@ZOS_RichLambert @ZOS_GinaBruno this is something that really does need to be fixed before release.
  • Casdha
    Casdha
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To answer questions, I use the controller all of the time. It is official Microsoft 360 controller. It works fine on games with native support like Fallout, Skyrim and Dying Light.

I saw the new menu to change defaults (bet console wish they had that from what I read) and it didn't register there either.

I think the problem might be that I got in a rush to try it and maybe the option to enable it didn't take when I clicked it.

Patch got done downloading 15 minutes before I had to leave for work and I was already late leaving.

I'll try it again and Edit this post if it works or if there is still a problem.

Edit: OK controler support for 360 controler works fine, I thought I checked the box but when I checked again it was unchecked.

That said, when you set custome buttons you should unbind all accounts for that particular button action as some don't mix well Example

I set ability 2 to the A button but if I go to loot something it says to push button A to search but it just fires ability and doesn't search when I push button A, same for trying to open a door. So I set interact with environment to Hold button A now if I try to fish all I do is choose bait and can't fish because both are set to Hold A, even though most default functions say unbound they still have a function already set to something.
    Edited by Casdha on October 7, 2015 6:07AM
    Proud member of the Psijic Order - The first wave - The 0.016%

• KaneBunce
    KaneBunce
    Here is my preliminary feedback:
    • Some elements of the UI are too large, such as text.
    • I don't like that some of settings from the keyboard-mouse UI are missing from the gamepad UI, including Scale UI, something desperately needed with the gamepad UI. I am aware the we can still press Escape to access the default Settings UI, but these things should be in the gamepad UI as well.
    • If we are meant to be able to use the Controls UI in the default Settings UI to alter our gamepad controls, it is not working. Also, altering gamepad controls should be in the gamepad UI.
    • Sometimes A seems to be pressed automatically, which may be why the keybind issue exists.
    • When in the dialogue UI for gamepad audio for NPCs sometimes fails or uses a robotic voice.
    • Despite all that I said above, the controls and UI are overall pretty good and in some ways I prefer the gamepad UI over the default UI. Overall I like more than I dislike. I just thought I'd end on a positive note.

EDIT 1: It turns out changing the Mode on my Controller fixed the issues with setting setting gamepad controls. But I am sure my controller is technically in Turbo mode now (i.e. auto-repeating button presses).

EDIT 2: Nope, it is back to not working properly. Except holding down a button and button combinations do work. But I want to be able to set pressing a single button not just a combination or holding a button.
    Edited by KaneBunce on October 7, 2015 9:05AM
    "A contradiction cannot exist in reality. Not in part, nor in whole." - Wizard's 9th Rule.